Author Topic: It's a trap  (Read 400 times)

Offline Connor Murphy

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • Connor Murphy
It's a trap
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »
 The sound of a router chugging towards a connection to the internet sounds faintly.  The whine of the handshake indicating that the power surging through the small box was more than it could handle only made the man trying to connect to the internet curse slightly in at least two languages.  

Connor Murphy shakes his head as he swigs from a rather older looking bottle of something that no sane person should.  Around him can be seen the accoutrements of some elaborate scheme that was just waiting to happen.  To one side, a bundle of rope rested against a rather large crate with the words Skittles on it.  Nearby, a harpoon and fishing net can be seen against the wall waiting for the moment when they would reach out and trap something…

Finally the connection is made and then the whoosh of Skype can be heard.  The clack clack of fingers on the keys fills the almost deadly silence as Connor leans forward, his hen peck typing slow and laborious as he logs in.  Once the friends screen comes up, he immediately hits the icon for his friend Dev.  Waiting for his friend to pick up the call, he pulls out a cigarette and slides it between his lips.  Taking a lighter, he puts the flame to the end of the butt and inhales deeply as the cherry glows red hot then fades into sooty waste.

“What the hell do you want ya drunk Irishman?” says the voice of Devlin Lefebvre, brother to Vixen, best friend to Connor.

“I need your help Dev,” says Connor as he looks both ways as if checking to see if he is being watched by someone other than Dev.  â€œYou see, I have a match this week for the Internet title and I think I did something that might just get me into trouble with my opponent.”

From the panicked sounds of his friend, Dev’s mood goes from goofing around to dead serious in the matter of moments.  â€œWhat did you do Connor?” he demands softly, his eyes boring into the screen as if trying to see what it was that Connor did without much success.

Connor rubs a hand through his already mussed hair as he takes another drag of the cigarette then a swill of the alcohol.  â€œI knew that I shouldn’t have tried it but I knew that if I didn’t get rid of him, there might not be any way that I was going to win this match.  So I did what I thought was the right thing to do.  Even you can’t fault me Dev.  But it didn’t work and now I am sure that I am going to lose if I don’t fix this right.”

Connor leans forward and puts his head in his hands.  Dev leans into the screen and demands to know just what happened.

“It’s like this…” Connor begins.

Connor smirks as he moves along the backstage area of the venue for Climax Control.  Over one shoulder is a pile of rope resting there like some limp snake as Connor flips over a box and drags it towards the middle of the room.  A soft chuckle then a whistle can be heard before he begins to speak.

“That Despayre isn’t going to save himself this time,” smirks Connor as he begins to tie off one end of the rope to the box.”

“It’s always you and that fuckin’ rope,” interrupts Dev who rolls his eyes.

“Shut up and let me finish my tale,” replies Connor as he flips the bird at his friend across Skype.

Connor sets the trap well and lays a bowl in the box’s shadow.  Into it, a small stream of skittles pours.  â€œHe’s not going to be able to resist,” chortles Connor as he begins to slowly trail the skittles along the floor.  Getting to the door, Connor again lets a slow stream of skittles pile up.  To it, he sets a small sign by the pile that reads ‘Free Skittles, come taste the rainbow’.

Looking around again, Connor tries to strategize what he is going to do as he keeps trying to see if anyone is privy to his thoughts.  Finally he stands back and surveys the trap he has built.  â€œI am going to make sure that the title is mine and by making sure he isn’t out there, Despayre will not be able to defend the title.

Devlin holds up a hand and shakes his index finger.  â€œDon’t tell me you built a trap for Despayre” he demands “You can’t win the title if he doesn’t get to the ring you know.”

Connor shoots a look at his friend in disbelief.

“What are you talking about…a trap for Despayre?  Why in the hell would I do a stupid thing like that?” demands Connor before he takes another drag then points with the cigarette between his fingers at the screen.  â€œI was not setting a trap for Despy you idiot.  That would be way too easy.”

Dev looks at Connor with a dazed look on his face at the logic being shown by Connor.  â€œIf the trap isn’t for Despayre then who is it for?”

At that question, Connor’s smirk widens which just lights up his whole face.  Waving a finger at his friend, Connor begins to rub his fingers against his shirt buffing them.  Dev sees the smirk and only chuckles.

“It was for his bodyguard,” offers Connor.

“Big B?” asks Devlin with a confused look.  

“No no noooo,” offers Connor.  â€œThe other bodyguard is the one.”

Dev is completely confused as he thinks for a moment.  â€œYou don’t mean Synn do you?”

Connor can’t believe how slow his friend at this time.   “No not Synn either.  I am going after the brains of the operation!!”

“Who is?”

Connor swoops closer and holds something up to the camera lens that reveals a small tuft of fur.  Devlin shoot a look at him.

“You are setting a trap for a F*ckin BEAR?” demands Devlin, his voice rising at the end as Dev fights laughter.

“Yes I was setting a trap for a F*ckin’ bear and it would have worked too,” grumbles Connor as he picks up the bottle of alcohol and takes another healthy swig.  â€œI mean that if he hadn’t of been watching me set the trap, he would have been in that trap and I wouldn’t have to worry about Despy one bit as he would be more frightened of the fact that he doesn’t have the bear by his side and he is looking at me across the ring.”

Connor can see Devlin trying to get control of his laughter.  â€œSo,” Dev says through the last bit of laughter.  â€œWhy didn’t it work on trapping Angel?”

Connor hangs his head and grumbles.

“Because he watched me set it.”

The view of the trap pulls back to reveal a small furry image hiding behind the door watching as Connor works on setting the trap.  With a smirk from the bear, the image fades to black.

Everyone is ready to write me off because oh no, Connor Murphy is getting another title shot that he hasn’t deserved.  He’s a nobody, literally and figuratively.  I just have one thing to say to that…

Who the hell are you to say I don’t deserve anything in this life, in this company, in the ring at Climax Control.

Despayre, you hold that title and have been a hell of a champion but honestly what kind of competition have you had…really?  I mean sure you have had a match here and there but have you really faced anyone that wanted to win your title in the worse possible way?  Have you been taken to the limit and forced over it by someone that is out to prove to the world that they are a somebody?  Do you even think that maybe what you need is someone to take that title away from you and give you the opportunity to actually challenge for a belt better suited to you?

I am an equal opportunity ass kicker and I am willing to step in the ring with you all for the intent of taking your belt.  

Now I know what you are going to say Despayre, I really have heard it all before.  You will probably talk about how I am a Nobody and that Tim’s little group aren’t really worth it.  Which maybe we aren’t but then again, when all is said and done, maybe people will look back at the Nobodies and say that they remember when the Sins were just the same as they were.  Only where we define who we are on our own, just like you, we are honest about it.  Yes we sometimes resort to violence but then again, not as violent as your sin of Rage.

And Despayre, just because you have the support system of the Sins behind you, that doesn’t mean that the Nobodies are someone you write off as nothing.  We are the Nobodies and I am going to be the next Internet champion in SCW.

See you at Climax Control Despy.