Author Topic: Asterisk the 25th: Nobody's Fool  (Read 243 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
Asterisk the 25th: Nobody's Fool
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
 S|C|E|N|E| 001
[R E F L E C T I O N S]

F R I D A Y

“No matter what anyone tells you, it hurts to lose. I did everything possible to walk out of High Stakes still perfect and win my first World Bombshell Championship, and I couldn't do it. It should have been enough. It wasn't. That's all it is.”

[As the scene opens, we find Mercedes Vargas sitting before cameras for an exclusive interview for SCWrestling.net. The Argentine is in a pensive mood as she wonders what could have been more than a month following that defeat. Perhaps more crushing: her elimination from the Going for the Gold three weeks later.]

“I had another opportunity to challenge for the World Bombshell Championship during the Going for the Gold Tournament. This time Mikah can't say that the winner haven't earned their shot after this grueling five-week tournament because it's going to take a lot to go through 18 Bombshells, that's basically the entire division right there. You think going through 18 girls in this tournament – well, it's now down to 7 after the last show – is going to be easy, it's not. My match a week ago wasn't going to be a simple walk in the park. Lucy has been on a roll lately and it's a shame her title reign ended so soon. And on my right, I was facing one of my toughest rivals and friends for the third time in six weeks and the third time in a row with Crystal so.

[The former three World Bombshell Tag Team and Bombshell Roulette Champion admits that even though their rivalry has lasted for this long, it's highly likely to top other rivalries, like Odette Ryder - Misty, or even the one between Roxi Johnson and Amy Marshall, the feud nominated for “Feud of the Year” at SCW's End of the Year awards at High Stakes V this past October.

“I don't think Crystal and I will ever top Roxi – Amy. That feud was something else, but give credit to SCW for continuing up our rivalry. We've been kicking each other asses for what will be five years this December. We've faced each other for the 39th time in our career last Sunday. You can't make this stuff up.”

[Mercedes turns back to the camera.]

“Did we put on a show in Kingston, Jamaica? Yeah, I think we did. No offense to Lucy. She's talented and I know she tried her best to make this match mean something other than some rivalry that's lasted longer than SCW has been a company.

“I think the fans wanted to find out who is the best between Crystal and I, and she proved it again. So I have no hard feelings, I have no regrets. She pinned me again last week and eliminated me and Lucy from the tournament. She deserved the win, I wished her good luck in her match this weekend, and we’re moving on. That’s in the past now.”

[And now we move on from the past o the immediate future: a singles match against the newest face on the Bombshell roster, Celeste North, another notable member of the most polarizing stable in SCW, The Nobodies. The Beverly Hills native joins J2H as the one other member from the 90210, as well as other Californians on the roster including Kris Halc, Veronica Taylor and Twisted Sister (all from Los Angeles) and Lyah Lindberg (Oakland)]

“You know, I distinctly remember facing our distinguished Bombshell Internet Champion once upon a time. Not to gloat or anything, but we all saw what happened in my hometown. Celeste, I think, presents another problem.”

Lots of people are predicting a victory for Celeste North. All the signs pointing to her first victory are all there: Mercedes has struggled in her three-match losing streak; there is always uncertaintly whenever any member of The Nobodies compete, which is more than enough concern for Mercedes to have eyes at the back of her head; and the jury is still out on her win against North's fellow Nobodies compatriot Alexis Edwards two months ago in Mercedes' hometown. Edwards has since reeled off four straight wins and captured and successfully defended her first title during the stretch in addition to also advancing to the semifinals of the Going for the Gold Tournament.

Mercedes has never loss more than three matches at any given time in her SCW career and like so many of the records she held during her Bombshell Roulette title reign now broken by The Fallen and Mikah over the last few weeks, another streak may be ending on Sunday.

But if Mercedes is rattled by any of this, she's isn't giving anything away. Successful people rebound when their back is against the wall, against tough opponents, without so much as a single hope that they'll stand a fighting chance. Sunday will be one of these times. Celeste may be a Nobody, but Mercedes is fearless.

“I don't know much about Celeste, but at the same time, she doesn't know much about me either. She can watch all my past matches if she wants to waste time, but there's a difference between watching a match and getting in the ring with someone. I guess because I haven't been winning lately, I should start worrying, right? Yeah...no. I can't start worrying about things that are out of my control. I'm not all too worried about her and it's not like I haven't faced a newcomer before. I'll be ready for Sunday and I'll be ready for Celeste North.

“Climax Control 132 can't get here soon enough.”

[Fade.]

S|C|E|N|E| 002
[ S U N D A Y | F U N D A Y | T H E | S I X T H: D O N'T | S W E A T | T H E | S M A L L | S T U F F ]

2:35 PM | S U N D A Y
[New Wave thudded out of Collins' Records and mingled with the noise of midday traffic, construction, and people mingling, arguing, and bargaining on the busy street. Cardboard and leftover garbage attracts the stink of flies circling around them. It was just how Mercedes remembered Chicago walking these same streets years ago. If not for the freezing cold winds of winter it would be a great place to live. Mercedes carries store-bought coffee and was already regretting the dollar and eighty cents purchase. Fortunately, she could stomach it with the Sunday edition of the Chicago Tribune, which she was thankful for.

Hans Charcandrick was always mindful of having the paper waiting for her when she was in town. When Mercedes was in search for a chilli dog back when she was New York, the vendor delivered. She became one of his frequent customers and they have kept in contact ever since.
Braving the sub-40 temperatures and staring ahead, Mercedes and Hans continue walking the gritty alley, their breaths white in the frosty air.
]

Hans Charcandrick: Fancy meeting you here. What, you're too much of a wrestling superstar to come visit?

[Mercedes feints being offended, taking a step back and holding a hand to her heart. She didn't expect this welcome from her favorite vendor.]

Mercedes: Ouch. Blame it on my travel schedule. I've been on this world tour for an entire year. Good news it's almost over and we'll be in Canada in a few weeks.

Hans Charcandrick: A year-long world tour, huh? That sounds pretty brutal. Don't you get homesick?
Mercedes: Sometimes. When you've been doing this for six years, you get used to it. So, how are you doing?

Hans Charcandrick: Okay. Not great, but okay. How that's soap opera career going?

Mercedes: Me? Wonderful. Especially considering that I got through midday traffic and watching Snake on a Plane for the fifteenth time to see you before I'm off to Costa Rica for the weekend. Supposedly, it's a three hour flight from Mexico City, where I'm staying. And we're about to wrap up filming hopefully before Christmas. Fun, fun, fun.

Hans Charcandrick: I'm convinced.

Mercedes: You never told me why you moved from New York.

Hans Charcandrick: Hate it. Damp and cold. I'm almost regretting moving here, but things aren't that bad, just okay. I even got a room to myself. It's no Motel 6, but I think I've been able to manage.Watch the Bears, take a few naps, write some haiku, play some pool at the rec center, and now it’s about lunchtime. I wouldn't eat the crap here even if they paid me. One of these days, I'm going to move to someplace a little more subtropical. Hawaii or maybe Miami. Sure would make for a great birthday gift.

Mercedes: When's your birthday again? Next week, right? I bet you're looking forward to the big five-o, huh?

Hans: Ugh, yeah. Don't remind me...It sucks being this old. At least I can retire in ten years...

Mercedes: Come on, Hans, that's crazy talk. You don't look a day over fifty. And thinking about retiring? Out of the question. You're better than that. Now when did this come about?

Hans: It’s a long story. One that you're well familiar with.

Mercedes: I have the time if you have the CliffsNotes.

Hans: Hot date tonight?

Mercedes: I haven't checked my match.com profile lately. I'm almost sure I'm banned from the site, I can't remember. Now why are you retiring?

Hans: You try operating a hot dog stand without a permit for years and the NYPD breathing down your neck. You don't remember that time they shut me down and I was locked up?

[Mercedes shrugs her shoulders, drawing an incredulous look from the vendor. In her age, it was difficult placing names to faces and events. Or maybe it's because she had other things on her mind at the time.[/b]]

Hans: It was the usual spot, Jackson and Roosevelt. Late night, you're waiting by the cart. I hand you the New York Times, Saturday crossword....

[Mercedes nods slowly, trying to jog her memory.
]

Mercedes: And I get my usual chili dog and the cops are there giving you a hard time....

Hans: Now you're getting the picture. I don't know how much longer I would hold out if you didn't cover the other half of bail.

Mercedes: Until they denied it because I got in the face of an officer and barely touched him.  

[Hans chuckles, tugging at his Kagol beret.]

Mercedes: Hey, not funny. I had to serve two months of community service for that.

Hans: Good thing the officer knew who you were. See, everything worked out in the end.

Stranger: Hey, buddy? Know where I can get Chicago pan pizza?

[Hans points with the raw index finger of his left hand to the pizza place. The stanger thanks him for giving him directions.]

Mercedes: There's one thing I never understood. How did you get away with all those citations?

Hans Charcandrick: I'm but a simple boy from Texas.

[Fade]

~ ~ ~

S|C|E|N|E| 003
[N O B O D Y ' S| F O O L]

2:35 PM | F R I D A Y

[REC•]

[The sun shone brilliantly as Mercedes, hidden behind a pair of sunglasses, leans back in a deckchair watching vendors walking the beach or setting up stalls to sell fried fish and other foods. In spite of the warm weather, a large beach umbrella provides adequate shade from the heat. With the Going for the Gold Tournament now into the semifinals following last week's Climax Control, there was no doubt that it was going to be tough to top the last few weeks of Climax Control. Of course, there was this weekend. And what a difference a weekend makes. Whether it helped or hurt Mercedes was the ultimate question, but the chance for a little redemption this week was all on her mind as the upcoming Climax Control was not too far away. Mercedes steadies the recorder before she pulls back her hand and smiles at the camera.]

Mercedes: As you can probably tell, I'm wearing a Mean Girls t-shirt. No, no, there in't plans for a reunion any time soon, not that the current roster would welcome that. Delia hasn't answered my calls in months. I would be lucky if I got Liz Smalls to voicemail. Amanda? She's off...doing whatever it is she's doing. Tessa, Holly? Hahahahaha!  

[Mercedes offers a dismissive wave at the camera.]

Mercedes: So, there's still a chance? Not in this lifetime, but a girl can dream.

[Mercedes sighS contently.]

Mercedes: “So, anyone else get that Thanksgiving gets disrespected, or is it just me? We've already put away our Halloween costumes, and Christmas is five weeks away. It's like Thanksgiving is the redheaded stepchild of the holidays, and that's a shame. But as the holiday is just around the corner, I just though I'd get into the holiday spirit by being thankful for this SCW World Tour. Santa Domingo was cool and all, Kingston was awesome. But here, in San Jose, Costa Rica? Now, that's what I'm talking about. And perfect timing too. November is the last month of autumn and the first month before winter begins. Not that I'm complaining. More often than not, it's usually a lot cooler than usual this time of year. If you're looking for snow in December, good luck with that.”

“I know, getting off topic. Focus, Mercedes. Focus.”

[Mercedes takes a short breath and wills herself to get to the topic at hand, mouthing the word “focus” again before she speaks again.]

Mercedes: “It's like I'm in Groundhog's Day. I mean, it wasn't so long ago that I graced the ring with Crystal challenging for the World Bombshell Championship. Neither one of us walked away with the title, but I think we gave Mikah a serious challenge. Crystal did everything she could possibly do to win.

“And I was the one who got pinned by Mikah...again.”

[She sighs as she looks down while shaking her head. Another opportunity she was given and again she had nothing to show for it. The memories of that night still lingered with her, even two weeks later. A small hint of anger flushes her face, but it disappears.]

Mercedes: “Sure Crystal failed last week to end Mikah's reign, but it's my fault that Mikah is now the longest reigning World Bombshell Champion of all time, not to mention the longest Bombshell singles champion, a record Delia and I co-shared for nine months with our title reigns. Hell, with the roll Melanie is on, she's not too far off from breaking my record for most Bombshell Roulette defenses."

[Streaks and records were meant to be broken. There will be a Bombshell who will come in and eventually break the records she still owns. For now, the only thing that was on her mind was her next opponent.]

Mercedes: "As we turn the page on a new week, Climax Control embarks on the road of the last supershow of 2015. There's only two shows left until December to Dismember, but I can't help but be excited about the Going for the Gold Tournament to determine the next challenger for the World Bombshell Championship. We're down to seven Bombshells still in this thing. Four more Bombshells could be gone before the night is over. I was hoping to not be one of them two weeks ago, but that was not to be. Lucy isn't booked this week, but I am.

“I don't know, but, uh, I have this feeling I'm really going to have my work cut out for me this weekend with Celeste North, and with good reason.”

[She picks up the cocktail glass of pina colada  from the small wooden beach table beside her and takes a long, slow drink of the warm liquid.]

Mercedes: "Well, Celeste. Tell me how you REALLY feel. That was...Yeah, that was quite something. I'm not sure who's really the bitter one between you and Alexis, it's a relative tie. High Stakes? Been there, over that, as we all should be. It's just sad that night you experienced something you should be well used to by now: rejection. It hurts doesn't it, Celeste? Being told you're not good enough to be a part of something. Did you leave in tears that night? Did you have a pity party? Something tells me you did. No one likes rejection."

[Everybody had to deal with it at some point in their life. It's a cold hard truth that she hoped her opponent hopefully didn't wreck her life all that much.]

Mercedes: "I wonder. What if you were that last audition? What if Delia had told the rest of the girls, 'Hey, don't send her away. We may have found something.'? Do you think the Mean Girls would still be running the Bombshells division today? I guess we'll never know, huh? To be honest, Celeste, maybe this was all for the best. Think about it: you learned a very valuable lesson, and in the end maybe the Mean Girls were better off without you. All good things must come to an end, but ask anyone who The Nobodies are and you'll get the blank stares, the innocent shrugs, raised eyebrows, the sound of crickets. You get where I'm going here.

“The names may have changed, we may have gone our seperate ways, moved on to bigger and better things. The Mean Girls have stood the test of time and are remembered till this day. That what's called leaving a lasting impression; The Nobodies are just another Futurama meme: Not sure if The Nobodies or some failed grunge band."

[Removing her sunglasses completely and placing them next to her drink, Mercedes runs a hand through her hair as she eases up in her chair. It was time for straight talk with Celeste and she wasn't planning on holding anything back.]

Mercedes: "This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

"When I look at you, Celeste, I don't see a screw-up, I don't see a colossal failure, I don't see a woman who didn't get enough hugs. In you, I don't see a Nobody. I see a Somebody. This Sunday, I see SOMEBODY whose record is about to be 0-3 and about to board another lonely flight back home to Beverly Hills, 90210. There's no hiding the fact that you're probably expecting to walk out of this match with no problem, but have I got news for you: You better think again and you better hope you bring everything you got, because I'll be damned if what happened the last three weeks happen again.

"Yeah, I know this is a huge opportunity for both of us and the stakes have never been higher, but I'm still playing with the same deck. I came close to winning that title off of Mikah, I came close to making it to the semifinals of the tournament, but close just isn't good enough. I'm putting my cards on the table and I'm going all in."

[She pushes a stray lock of brown hair back behind her ear with one perfectly manicured fingernail.]

Mercedes: "You don't get to accomplish the things I've done in my career just by settling, you don't get to be a six time champion in SCW by being complacent. I'm not going to settle, I'm not going to be complacent, and I sure as hell am not planning on an early vacation this Sunday. Just because you pointed out what everyone already knows about my recent setbacks isn't going to change the outcome Sunday night, sweetheart. Your shoulders are still getting pinned to the mat or, at the very least, you're going to be made to tap, tap, tap.  Celeste, as confident you think you are and with how close you are to Mommy Dearest, it's about time she knows that her daughter is about to end up on my checklist. Sorry, Hard Luck Woman, but you're about to fall harder than The Fallen did at High Stakes."

[Mercedes measures her hand just above her head]

Mercedes: "Or a B-52 Bomber."

[Which promptly follows by making the sound of a dive-bombing airplane as her hand lowers.]

Mercedes: "Same difference."

[Shrugging her shoulders, the Argentine reaches for her sunglasses and slips them back on as she goes back to enjoying her vacation.]

Mercedes: "Business or pleasure? You know what? I think I'll be doing both, when I take pleasure in taking care of business against The Nobodies again this Sunday and moving on. But you don't have to take my word for it. I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."

[She winks at the camera.]

Mercedes: "Celeste. See you Sunday."

[Mercedes offers a thin smile at the camera before ending the recording.]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:33:30 PM by Mercedes Vargas »

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)