Author Topic: Return of Duke  (Read 289 times)

Offline The_Duke

• View Profile
    • Ata Tupoi
Return of Duke
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:46:39 PM »
 (this is not finished but this is by far the worse hotel internet connection ever!)

The camera is on. Focus in. Outside Marrakesh Menara Airport, Ata Tupoi and Max Burke are stepping outside into the sweltering heat. The moment the chill of the air conditioning leaves them Max looks as if the wind has been taken out of him. He knew it was going to be hot, but this was on a level he had not been prepared for. The Duke does not seem phased as he looks around for his car.

Burke: Damn I miss Canada.

Duke: I sure as hell don’t. Where is the car?

Burke: Hell man, be patient. Take in the sights.

As Duke looks around all he sees is rows of cars adding to the heat and a bunch of people waiting around. One group catches his eye, a family that is obviously on some kind of holiday.The father is wearing a hawaiian type shirt despite being nowhere close to an island and their kids are wearing t-shirts with Africa written in bold font. Duke lets out a sigh checking his watch.

Duke: Yo, Burke, look at that crap right there. I finally get out of the states and that is one of the first things I see.

Burke: uhh what the tourist?

Duke: Yeah the damn tourist. I bet this place is filled with sad sacks like that guy. Weak ass rich folk walking around taking in the damn sight...what yeah I am looking at you man! What are you going to do about it?

Duke starts to walk over to the man and his family, hovering close to the taxi stand sign as if it is a beacon in stormy waters. The tourist appears to be instatly regretting the dirty look he gave to Duke Ata Tupoi.

Burke: Oh no…

Duke steps right up into the tourist personal space, and looks down at the man with a dangerous smile. It is not a happy smile in the least.

Duke: Hey man, do you know what a Moore is?

Tourist: um...sorry what?

Duke: Did I stutter boy? I asked you if you knew what a Moore was?

Tourist: Hey listen umm buddy...I uh..don’t want any trouble.
Duke: Oh I bet. You just want a nice happy vacation with your cute little family. You just want your little African adventure. I get that man, but you need to answer my question before I kick your ass in front of your family.

Duke grabs the man and lifts him up with ease as he stares him down. The man starts to panic and struggled. Burke looks nervous as he looks around to see if anyone else seems to notice.

Tourist: please...please let me go...fuck...ummm listen I don’t know okay. I don’t know what a moore is.

Duke: Yeah you don’t. You come to this country to see the sights but you have no idea where you are man. You have no idea of the history of occupation and resistance that is out there. This land was the home of a proud people that took from stupid, blind white folks just like you. Now you come here like some little punk to see the sights.

Burke: Come on man...I think I see the car.

Duke: How about I give you a once in the lifetime experience...How about I break your arm right here and hell we can take a picture for you to frame back home. I can sign it for you if you want.

The tourist starts crying and Duke drops him down hard. One of the kids start crying and a crowd is starting to gather. Some are taking out phones to tape what happens next. Duke looks at the crowd with disgust as a black cat pulls up.

Duke: Welcome to Morocco bitch.

Duke allows himself to be pulled into the car by Max. The camera tries to follow but the door closes hard and the car drives off. The camera fades with the sound of the tourist complaining to security.

North Africa is hard land. The people here has always fought damn hard to survive, fighting against the sea and sand. Fighting to hold onto something while Europe and Arabia keep taking. As early as the Romans people have been taking from them. They have been fully conquered a bunch of times but that doesn't break their spirit. You know what they call each other here? They are Amazices or free people. See you can try to take from them, try to break them but you never real destroy them. Just like my people, hell just like me.

You know what these locals did once the Muslims came knocking. They said, "hell yeah we will be Muslim, you ever hear of a place called Spain." And than those native bad asses went up to Spain and they started taking. I like that idea. I think it's time to do some taking. I am going to take victories, I'm going take away men's livelihood and I am going to take championships. You might see me as just that island boy that knocked heads in the minors. You might think I am just Max's hired goon. That's fine I bet Spain didn't think much of North Africa until they knocked their door down.

Camera on. Focus in on a worn out gym and an even more worn down ceiling fan. The fan turns once slowly and appears to stop for a long awkward pause before sputtering onward again. Under the fan stand two men stand. They carry themselves like fighters, dressed in worn down work out clothes and each with a number drawn in white on their heads. As the camera pans out we see Duke standing there counting money for a man dressed in a faded suit jacket. The man looks pleased to see that many dirhams. Duke Ata hands him the wad of cash.

Duke: Its all there Mr Song.

Song: I don’t doubt it Mr Tupoi….its just. Isn’t the numbers demeaning

Duke: No more demeaning than getting paid to get your ass beat down.

Song: Ah but these men are paying for a chance to fight you.

Duke: Same thing…

Suddenly Duke lunges forward punching the man numbered two right in the jaw sending him sprawling to the floor. The other man immediately charges at Duke trying to bring the big man down. The impact brings Duke to his knees and the fighter throws a series of body blows to Ata. For a while Duke takes the damage with a smile before quickly standing up while uppercutting fighter number one. The second man starts to get to his feet but Ata delivers a quick boot that sends him back down. He turns to the other man, headbuts him hard and than lifts him up. Duke slams the man down hard on the concrete but does not let him go. Instead he lifts him up again and slams him down a second time. Fighter number one does not move much after that.

Duke turns slowly to the other fighter who is getting to his feet. Ata has a predatory look on his face as he back hands him so hard he stumbles to his knees. As the man tries to stand again, Duke stomps his leg causing the man to let out a primal scream of pain. Ata finishes him off with a knee to face.

He stands over the bodies for a moment catching his breath. He then turns directly to look at the camera. The Duke smiles in a most unsettling way and just looks at the camera. The cries from the second fighter can be heard as the camera slowly fades to black.
user posted imageuser posted image