Author Topic: A Scare at Home  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Wyatt Peterson

• View Profile
A Scare at Home
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »
 Wyatt: Thanks fer comin’ with me. Ah really didn’ wanna drive back tah Texas by mahself.

Tom’s ’57 Chevy Bel Air is kicking up dust as Wyatt speeds along the dirt road somewhere on the outskirts of his hometown of Amarillo, Texas.

Tom: It’s not a big deal. I was wanting to get out of Vegas anyway. I’m just glad it wasn’t anything serious.

Wyatt: Yeah. When Paul called an’ said somethin’ was wrong with Ma….

Wyatt shakes his head.

Tom: I’ll bet that you’re glad it turned out to only be gas.

Wyatt and Tom share a laugh.

Wyatt: Her reaction was priceless when it finally came out. It was like…

Wyatt makes a long fart sound using his mouth, following it with a look of shock. This causes Tom to laugh harder.

Tom: That was pretty much dead on. At least it stopped the stomach pains.

Tom looks out the window and points at a few buildings that they’re coming upon.

Tom: Is one of those the bar that you were telling me about?

Wyatt: Ah didn’ say nothin’ ‘bout a bar. Ah said that ah was takin’ you tah a saloon. And, yes, we’re here.

Wyatt pulls the car into what is probably best described as a parking lot. In reality, it’s a dirt patch with cars scattered throughout in a semi-organized way. Tom takes in the façade of the building as he climbs out of the passenger seat. It says SALOON in faded white block letters above the door. Speaking of the door, it was nothing more than a couple of lightweight swing doors fashioned like the ones in the days of the Wild West. The building looked like it could use a good paint job. There were patches where the paint was completely gone and where there was paint, it was peeling.

Tom: This place looks like a dump.

Wyatt: Nah, it’s not a dump. It’s just got character. You’ll see fer yourself. Let’s head on in and get ourselves some drinks.

The car doors are slammed shut and Wyatt leads the way to the saloon. They stop outside of the door. Wyatt turns to face Tom with a smile on his face.

Wyatt: Try to behave in here.

Tom shakes his head, smiling.

Tom: You’re one to talk.

Wyatt pushes the swinging doors open and walks into the saloon with Tom right behind him. Wyatt walks straight to the bar as Tom stops just inside the door to take everything in. There was very little light. Tom assumed it was to hide the thick layers of dust. The saloon was empty except for a table of five guys playing Texas Hold’em in the corner. Well, I guess it would just be Hold’em since they were in Texas. It’s not like you go to France and ask for French Toast or go to England and ask for English Toffee. You just say toast or toffee and they’ll know what you mean. Anyway, Tom walks over to join Wyatt at the bar. Behind the counter, the bartender looks like the kind of guy who didn’t take crap from anyone. He eyes Wyatt and Tom suspiciously as he uses a rag to clean a mug.

Wyatt: Beer.

The bartender reaches under the counter and pulls out a bottle of Budweiser. He pops off the cap and sets it on the bar in front of Wyatt.

Tom: Margarita, please.

The bartender just stares at Tom as if he’s never heard of a Margarita. Wyatt nudges Tom and leans in to whisper to him.

Wyatt: This is backwoods Texas. All they have is beer, whiskey and moonshine.

Tom: Ooo... moonshine!

Wyatt: Stay away from the moonshine.

Tom: Oh, alright. I guess I'll have a beer too.

The bartender pulls out another Budweiser, pops the cap off and sets it down in front of Tom. Tom picks it up and tips it towards the bartender as if to say “Thanks” before taking a drink. Wyatt and Tom turn their backs to the counter and lean against it as they look around the saloon.

Wyatt: Ah loved this saloon back in mah day. Spent most of mah high school years here. Me and the boys would drive up on Friday night an’ stick ‘round ‘til Sunday.

Tom: They didn’t card you?

Wyatt: Come on! Really? This is Texas! ‘Course they didn’t card us. Even if they did we’d have just gone to the next place down the road that woulda served us.    

Tom takes a swig from his beer as he shifts his focus on the men playing Hold’em in the corner. Wyatt notices him watching.

Wyatt: They’ve been playin’ in that same spot fer years.

Tom: Yeah? I play Hold’em every once in a while. I used to play all the time online until the damn government shut it down. They’ve still got my money wrapped up in there. I don’t think they’re ever going to give it back to me.

Wyatt: How much was it?

Tom: $10.76. I’m not really that worried about it. I’d love to be able to play a little though. It’s been a while.

Wyatt: Ah don’t recommend you play with them. They’re pretty hardcore.

Tom: Screw it! Come on.

Tom walks over to the table where the men are playing.  Wyatt sits down on a stool near the table as Tom speaks up.

Tom: Hey there, guys. Do you mind if I join you?

The men look at each other. The one closest to where Wyatt is sitting nods his head and motions to an open chair. He pulls his cigarette out of his mouth and points to each man around the table. As he points to each one he says their name with an accent thicker than Wyatt’s.

Clint: James, John, William, Wayne, Clint.

He points to himself as he says the last name. Tom sits down in the open chair, which is opposite Clint and sandwiched between John and William.  

Clint: Hundred dollars tah buy in. Blinds are two and four dollars.

Tom pulls out his wallet and pulls out a crisp hundred dollar bill, tossing it onto the table. Clint scoops it up and holds it up to the dim light that’s hanging over the table. Satisfied with what he sees, Clint picks up an aluminum case from the floor and sets it onto the table. Clint flips it open to reveal poker chips of various colors. After a few moments, Tom has a variety of red, blue, green, and black chips stacked on the table in front of him. Tom, being in the Big Blind, pushes four dollars of chips towards the center of the table. John, the small blind, does the same thing but with only two dollars. James shuffles the deck of cards and starts slinging them across the table until everyone has two cards. Wyatt watches with intrigue as Tom picks up his cards to look at them. Each man takes his turn either calling the bet, raising the bet, or folding their cards. By the time it’s Tom’s turn, William and Wayne had folded, Clint had raised the bet to twelve dollars, James called the bet, and John folded. Tom looks at his cards one last time before putting them down on the table. Tom looks at Clint and back to James. He then looks back to Clint again.

Tom: So, it’s eight dollars to me?

Clint just nods. Tom grabs a stack of chips and starts making smaller stacks out of them. He then makes them back into one bigger stack before separating them again. The other men at the table just watch him in bewilderment.

Clint: What in tarnations are ya doin’, boy?

Tom looks up, surprised that he was interrupted.

Tom: This is what they do on TV all the time when they’re considering making a call. I assumed it was part of the game.

Clint: Now look here, boy! Ah don’ like head games. Mmkay? Ah wanna come in here and play some cards before goin’ home fer dinner. So stop yer nonsense and either call or fold.

Tom stacks his chips back in front of himself and pushes his cards away.

Tom: If you’re gonna be like that, then I’ll just fold. Geez!

The game goes on for about a half hour. At that time, Wyatt gets up and grabs another beer. Clint watches him as he takes his seat back behind him. Soon after, Tom starts to win hand after hand until his stack in three times what it started as. After one hand, Clint gets pissed. He shoots to his feet throwing his chair nearly five feet behind him.

Clint: Ya know, boys? Ah think we might have ourselves a cheater. How else would he have known ah hadn’t hit mah straight? Ah played that hand perfectly and he called me with a pair of sixes! Ah think that his buddy back here has been tippin’ him off all night!

The men all get to their feet. Tom gets to his feet as well while Wyatt rushes over to Tom’s side and starts trying to pull him away from the game. Before he can though, Clint points a finger at Wyatt.

Clint: Have you been cheatin’, boy?

Wyatt: No, sir. Ah would never cheat.

Clint looks Wyatt in the eyes, trying to read him.

Clint: Ah’m not buyin’ it. Let’s show these boys what we do to cheaters.

Tom and Wyatt back away at the original five poker players come around the table towards them.  As they back away from the mob, Wyatt leans in to whisper into Tom’s ear.

Wyatt: Ah told ya they were pretty hardcore.

Tom is wide eyed as he takes in the five men approaching them. Wyatt and Tom are backed up against the bar. As the first man, James, advances on him, Wyatt grabs a bottle of beer off of the bar and shatters it over his head. James is only stumbled a couple of steps. In the meantime, William and Clint advance on Wyatt while John and Wayne advance on Tom. Fists are being thrown wildly by the poker players. Tom and Wyatt continue to fight them off to the best of their abilities. Wyatt pushes the three men that are on him away, giving him enough time to hit the closest one with a barstool.

\'user

The two men on Tom grab him by his head and attempt to slam it into the bar counter. Tom blocks them and elbows the two men in their guts. Tom then grabs their heads and slams them both onto the counter.

\'user

Wyatt is being buried by the men who are surrounding him. They continue to punch him until Wyatt musters the strength to throw them off of him. One of the men flies a few feet going through a table.

\'user

Wyatt blocks a punch from another one but before he can return fire, he’s hit from behind with a chair. Wyatt turns around to see that it was Tom that had hit him with it. Tom has an “oh sh*t” look on his face.

Tom: Sorry. I didn’t realize it was you.

Wyatt lifts one of the men who are running at him and uses his momentum to slide him across the bar.

Wyatt: You’d better pay attention next time.

Tom suddenly runs past Wyatt, spearing one of the men to the ground.  Wyatt hits another one with Boomtown.

\'user

The bartender continues to clean the glass with apparent disinterest. Tom is grabbed by two of the men and pushed up against the wall. The men take turns punching Tom in the stomach and face. Wyatt attempts to come over and help him, but the man who Tom had speared trips him. Another man flies in and drops an elbow onto Wyatt’s lower back. Wyatt is writhing in pain as the two men get to their feet and start kicking him. The fifth man recovers from Boomtown after a couple of minutes and joins the melee. The scene cuts to outside of the saloon where Tom comes flying through the swinging doors, landing face first in the dirt. A few moments later, Wyatt comes stumbling out of the door backwards. He lands on his ass next to Tom. Clint sticks his head out of the saloon and throws Wyatt’s Stetson at them.

Clint: Ah recon you boys won’ be comin’ back ‘round here no more.

Clint disappears back into the saloon as Wyatt picks up his hat. Tom pulls himself into a sitting position next to Wyatt. Tom wipes away some blood that was dripping from his mouth.

Tom: So that’s what a Texas bar brawl is like.

Wyatt smiles widely.

Wyatt: It’s fun, ain’t it?

Tom looks at Wyatt like he’s crazy which sends Wyatt into a fit of laughter. Wyatt pulls himself to his feet. He brushes the dirt off of his Stetson and puts it back onto his head. Wyatt holds out his hand to help Tom up. Tom groans as Wyatt pulls him up. Once standing, Tom arches his back as he stretches it out.

Wyatt: If you think it hurts now, just wait until the morning.

Tom grumbles to himself as he starts walking to the car with a noticeable limp. Wyatt, walking alongside him, pats Tom firmly across the shoulder. Tom writhes at the pain. Wyatt gets into the driver’s seat of the car while Tom slowly eases his way into the passenger’s seat. Wyatt looks at Tom and bursts out laughing.

Tom: It’s not funny.

Wyatt: It’s kinda funny.

Wyatt continues to laugh at Tom as he starts the car. They pull out onto the dirt road and drive off into the sunset, kicking up dust and rocks as the scene fades.

<hr width=50%>

Bob: We’re going to take a quick commercial break¸ but don’t change the dial because when we come back we’re going to have professional wrestler Wyatt Peterson in the studio on The Moo Crew on K-Bull 98.1.

The door to the studio opens and Wyatt Peterson is ushered in by the show’s producer. Bob, Austin, and Jen take off their headsets and get up out of their seats to greet Wyatt. Bob is the first to reach out a hand which Wyatt shakes.

Bob: Mornin’. Thanks for coming on.

Wyatt: Thanks fer havin’ me.

Wyatt shakes the other two’s hands. Jen hands Wyatt a headset and motions to a chair.

Jen: That’s going to be your spot. The microphone should be able to pick you up as long as you don’t move around a whole lot.

Austin: This is going to be your opportunity to promote your show tonight. Once we come back from commercial, we’ll throw pretty much just be having some regular conversation. We’ll leave you some spots to talk about your show though. It’s up to you how you do it, though. You got it?

Wyatt nods in acknowledgement.

Bob: Also, remember that this is radio. They won’t be able to see you nod or anything so try to be vocal.

Wyatt: Yessir.

The producer pops his head back into the studio.

Producer: We’re back in thirty seconds.

Bob, Austin, and Jen get to their chairs and put their headsets on. Wyatt follows in suit. After a few moments, the “On-Air” light turns on and Bob starts talking.

Bob: Good morning, Reno! Welcome back to the Moo Crew on K-Bull 98.1. We’ve got a special guest in the studio today. Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Wyatt Peterson.

Austin pushes a button and an applause sound effect is played.

Bob: Good morning, Wyatt. Welcome to the show.

Wyatt: Thanks. It’s good tah be here.

Bob: You’re in town for a show this Sunday. Why don’t you tell us a little bit about that?

Wyatt: Okay. Well, this Sunday Sin City Wrasslin’ is in town for one of our weekly shows.

Austin: Sin City? As in Las Vegas?

Wyatt: Yeah, that’s where we’re based.

Jen: That’s hot. Any stories you wanna share from down there?

Wyatt laughs.

Wyatt: Sorry, Jen. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Bob, Austin, and Jen laugh.

Wyatt: There are a lot of crazy things that happen down in Vegas. Ah’m perdy sure we brought some of the craziness up here with us.

Austin: I’ve never actually heard of Sin City Wrestling.

Wyatt: Yeah, it’s fairly new. We’ve only been around for a few months but we’ve been able to make a perdy big splash thanks to our ownership and their connections.

Jen: Connections? Like to the mob?

Wyatt: No, to the wrasslin’ industry. Our owners are some of the biggest names in wrasslin’ and they’re able to bring in some big names that can draw crowds.

Bob: Don’t just tease us. Throw out some names.

Wyatt: Well, we’re owned by the duo of Christian Underwood and “Hot Stuff” Mark Ward…

Austin: THE Christian Underwood and Mark Ward?

Wyatt: The only ones ah’ve ever heard of. They’ve brought in big names such as Spike Staggs, Nick Jones, Jordan Williams, and even Rix Usher.

Bob: Rix Usher? I’d heard that he was dead.

Wyatt: So had ah. Ah was just as shocked as the rest when ah saw him show up a couple of weeks ago.

Jen: So, a birdy told me that you were discovered by someone that’s made some waves in the wrestling industry himself.

Wyatt: Yeah. Ah was discovered and am bein' managed by Tom Dudely.

Austin: How are you guys not a global promotion yet? I don’t think I can compile a list of five guys bigger than the ones that you’ve just named.

Wyatt: From what ah’ve been told, Christian wants to keep it a small promotion. He likes the intimacy of the shows. The bigger promotions now-a-days are nothing but a big light now. They have very little wrestling and a while long of flashiness. We actually have talent in the ring.

Jen: Uh oh! That sounds like a challenge to me!

Bob: So what are you going to be doing at the show?

Wyatt: Me and Sean Williams are actually main eventing for the SCW Tag Titles against the current champs Jamie Staggs and Rage.

Austin: That sounds like a hell of a match. I think I’m going have to get myself some tickets to the show. Where can I get some?

Wyatt: Tickets are on sale at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center box office. They’re $15 general admission but you can pay a little extra to get guaranteed first five rows.

Bob: Make sure you all get out there to support Wyatt and the other SCW wrestlers. The show is this Sunday at 7pm. We will post the info up on our Facebook page. If you haven’t already, make sure you fan us. Just search for the Moo Crew or you can link to it off of the K-bull website. Wyatt, before you go, we ask everyone who comes onto the show… If you can sing a duet with anyone, who would it be?

Wyatt laughs nervously.

Wyatt: You’re puttin’ me on the spot.

Jen: That’s the point.

Wyatt: Well, ah’m not much of a singer. The only times ah sing are in the shower and when ah’ve had a few too many to drink at the bar.

The radio hosts laugh.

Austin: You’ve still gotta answer the question.

Wyatt: Well, ah guess ah’d hafta pick someone who could make me look good. So…

Wyatt pauses to think about it.

Wyatt: Ah guess ah’d hafta go with Trace Atkins. Ah don’t think people would be able to distinguish between mah deep voice and his.

Bob: Good choice. While we’re bugging you about random things that have nothing to do with your show, who do you think is going to the Superbowl?

Wyatt leans forward in his seat and claps his hands together.

Wyatt: Now you’re talkin’ mah language. Ah think that the 49ers will be able tah beat the New York Giants fairly easily. In the AFC, ah just really don’t wanna see the Patriots go again, so ah’m rootin’ for the Ravens in that one.

Bob: You’ve heard it here folks. 49ers and Ravens in the Superbowl. That coming straight from Texas and you know those Texans know their football. We’ve got to get another commercial break in. When we come back, we’ll have an opportunity to win ringside seats to the SCW show this weekend. Thanks again for coming in Wyatt.

Wyatt: It was a pleasure.

Bob: You’re listening to the Moo Crew on K-bull 98.1.

The “On-Air” light turns off and everyone takes off their headsets and get to their feet.   Austin is the first to reach out and shake Wyatt’s hand.

Austin: Do you think you could get me some tickets to the show?

Wyatt: Ah don’t think that ah could do it, but Tom might be able to. Give me your phone number and ah’ll see what ah can do.

Austin scribbles his number onto a sticky note and hands it to Wyatt who tucks it into his pocket.  Bob is next to shake Wyatt’s hand.

Bob: Great job! You seemed so natural.

Wyatt: Really? Ah felt like ah was a wreck. This was mah first time on radio.

Bob: Really? Well, it didn’t appear that way. You were as cool as the flip side of the pillow.

Wyatt: Thanks, that means a lot.

The producer pokes his head back into the studio.

Producer: Alright, Wyatt, we’ve gotta get you out of there. We’re back in less than a minute.

Wyatt: Oh, sorry.

Wyatt shakes everyone’s hand one more time. He waves as he walks out of the door. The radio show hosts take their positions at their microphones. The “On-air” light comes on and Bob goes into action.

Bob: Alright folks. We’re going to give those tickets away right now. If you want to go to SCW Climax Control this Sunday night at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center, be caller ninety-eight right now and we’ll hook you up.

The phones start lighting up as the scene fades.

<hr width=50%>

Wyatt and Tom are in the locker room backstage for SCW Climax Control. Wyatt is stretching for his match later tonight.

Tom: I set you up another interview.

Wyatt stops stretching and looks at Tom.

Wyatt: It’s not with the Stoner again is it?

Tom rubs the back of his neck.

Tom: Well…

Wyatt: Come on, man! That guy did nothing but waste our time at the last interview.

Tom: I just feel bad for the guy. He’s trying to make the transition from wrestler to interviewer and Christian has him on a tight leash.

Wyatt takes a deep breath.

Wyatt: Alright, ah’ll do it this time, but he’d better actually do his job instead of just playin’ ‘round.

Tom: Good, because he’s waiting for us.

Wyatt: Now?

Tom: Yeah.

Wyatt: You coulda at least gave me a bit of warning first. Ah ain’t prepared.

Tom: You’ll do fine. Just do what you did last time.

Wyatt: Okay, ah guess.

Wyatt grabs his Stetson out of his locker and puts it onto his head. Tom leads Wyatt out of the locker room and down the hall. They find “Stoner” Scott Oliver standing with a cameraman. Scott is wearing a business suit and his hair is tied back into a ponytail. Tom and Wyatt walk up to him.

Tom: Scott, what’s with the change of clothes?

Stoner: Christian said that if I want to keep my job as an interviewer, I’m going to need to clean up my act. So I got a new suit, did my hair, and shaved today.

Tom: It looks good on you, but what about…you know...?

Stoner starts laughing.

Stoner: No way I’m giving that up! I had the tailor dude put a pocket inside of the jacket where I could keep it.

Tom: I don’t smell it though.

Stoner: Chya! I put an air freshener in there with it.

Wyatt: That explains why it smells like Christmas trees.

Tom: Are you ready for the interview?

Stoner: I sure am. Is the camera ready?

The cameraman nods. Wyatt and Tom stand in the picture with the Stoner.

Stoner: I am standing here with a man who’s been demolishing his opposition. A couple of weeks ago, we even saw him spear Casey Williams through the barricade. Tonight, he will team up with… umm…

Tom: Sean Williams.

Stoner: Oh yeah! Sean Williams to take on the team of Vin Diesel and Bam Margera.

Wyatt shakes his head.

Stoner: Come on! You’ve gotta admit that they look just like them. They’re their doppelgangers.

Tom: I guess they look like them a little.

Wyatt: Who the hell is Bam Margera?

Tom: Don’t worry about it. He’s just some Jackass.

Stoner: Wyatt, where’s your head going into your match tonight?

Wyatt: It’s not in the clouds like yours, that’s for sure.  Ah’m goin’ into the match tonight with optimism. Ah know that they beat us at December 2 Dismember, but that was when me and Sean weren’t at one hundred percent. That was our second match of the night and we were nowhere near the top of our game.

Stoner: But didn’t they have two matches too?

Wyatt: That’s besides the point. In a match where both teams are fresh, ah think that me and Sean have the advantage.

Tom nods in agreement.

Stoner: That doesn’t make sense to me.

Wyatt: Nothing makes sense tah ya.

Stoner: What about Casey Williams? There seems to be some unfinished business between you guys?

Wyatt: What about him? Ah don’t think he’s gonna mess with me in mah match. He’s got his hands full with Nick Jones. Anyway, it’s not like there’s a feud between us. We don’t hate each other. Ah think we are just two alpha males tryin’ tah one up the other. We aren’t gonna interfere in each other’s matches.

Stoner: You definitely one upped him a couple of weeks ago. Putting him through the barricade was epic!

Wyatt: Tonight, ah’ll one up him again when I win mah first title in SCW before he does.

Stoner: You sound pretty confident. I distinctly remember you being the one who got pinned to lose last time.

Wyatt: Why are ya so focused on last time? Ah’m focused on this time. Every match is different. This time, we know who we’re gonna be facin’. We’ve had time to prepare for ‘em. Not to mention that Sean has gotten into Rage’s head.

Stoner: I don’t know if you could call it ‘getting into his head’. I’d call it ‘pissing him off’. I think Rage is gonna kill your boy Sean.

Wyatt: Call it whatever ya want. Tom taught me tah wrassle smart not emotionally. Granted, ah still lose mah temper every once in a while, but ah’ve been gettin’ better. Rage is so pissed off at Sean right now that he’s gonna make mistakes in the ring. Ah’m countin’ on it. With Rage makin’ mistakes because he’s wrasslin’ emotionally, all ah’m gonna have tah do it swat away that fly Jamie Staggs. Ah don’t give a damn if his brother’s one the biggest names in that business. He hasn’t done anythin’.

Stoner: Dude… what have you done?

Wyatt: Shaddup you stupid sonuvabitch! You’ve got no room to talk. All this Jamie sunuvabitch does is play tricks on people. He even got me once and ah’d love tah get some payback fer it. He ruined mah favorite Stetson. Ah had tah throw it out. If there’s one thing you don’t do, it’s mess with a cowboy’s hat. It’s worse than messin’ with his horse, and ah’ve known men who’ve killed over that offense. Ah’ve got no problem with Rage wanting Sean. Ah know that Sean can hold his own against him. Ah just wanna take on Jamie boy to get some revenge for mah hat.

Stoner: Anything else you want to add?

Wyatt thinks for a moment.

Wyatt: Yeah… you stink! Go take a shower!

Wyatt walks away, pumped up for his match, leaving Tom and Stoner standing in the hallway watching him. Tom leans in and sniffs Stoner. His nose crumples in disgust. Tom runs off down the hallway after Wyatt.

Tom: Wait up for me!

The scene fades.  
user posted image

SCW Record:
Individual: 3/2/1
Tag Team: 8/8/0
Cumulative Record: 11/10/1

1x SCW Tag Team Champion (w/ Sean Williams)