Author Topic: Getting the Focus Back  (Read 1453 times)

Offline O Malley

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • O'Malley
Getting the Focus Back
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »

Monday January 9th

The scene opens up outside of a large cemetery.  The sign out front reads RESURRECTION CEMETERY.  Standing just outside the entrance gate, wearing a pair of black jeans, and a light jacket over her shirt, is Misty.  The temperature for this time of year is unseasonably warm, almost fifty degrees, when it should be much colder, and the ground should be covered in snow.

Misty is taking advantage of the weather while she can.  She is standing over a grave, just staring at the headstone, and the name that is etched on it.  She breaths slowly, not moving an inch, keeping her eyes locked on headstone.

SYDNEY ANN CAMPBELL
1979-1995

Misty drops to her knees and takes a deep breath.

“Syd, I know it’s been a long time.  Almost seventeen years, actually.  It’s hard to believe it’s been that long.  I’m sorry I haven’t come to talk to you, but I’m here now.  I’m here, and I need some answers.  You’re dead, I know, but I get the feeling you are trying to send me some type of message, and I need to know what the hell it is.”

Misty places her hand on the headstone, and a saddened expression falls over her face.

“I’m risking everything by coming here.  I have a match this Sunday back in Las Vegas, and quite honestly, me being here is making me lose my focus.  I have to focus on this match against Brooklyn, but I’m freaking out here.  Over the last month I’ve seen you twice, and it’s driving me crazy.  What do you want, Syd?  Why did I see you the night I lost the Bombshell Championship to Kittie?  Why did I see you last night?  More importantly, are you going to show yourself again while I’m facing Brooklyn?  Do you know what this is all doing to me?”

Misty takes in another deep breath, appearing as if she is holding back tears.

“I’m not exactly happy with my record in SCW right now, Syd, which is why I need to win this match against Brooklyn.  She’s not as experienced as I am, and has just as much at stake as I do, but I think this match is more important to me than it is to her.  She has time to prove herself.  She has all the time in the world to climb the ladder to the top of the Bombshell division.  I have no doubt she will, but I can’t lose to her.  I refuse to lose to her Syd.”

“If I lose again, I don’t know what I’ll do.  I got back into wrestling, because I knew I still had it in me.  I knew I was still the great wrestler that I always had been.  My heart and my head were both telling me I still have several years left until I’d be really ready to give it all up.  But with each loss, I was beginning to think otherwise.  Sure, I became the first ever Bombshell Champion, but my time as champion was short lived.  I lost the title in my first defense against Kittie.  Now I’m not sure I’ll ever get the title back.”

Misty sits down on the ground, now letting a tear fall down her cheek.  She wipes the tear away, and shakes her head.

“I let myself get distracted for a split second when I was facing Kittie, and the rest of the match, I tried to focus as much as I could.  I tried to fight like hell to win, but after I saw you up at the entrance, I was done for.  What the hell kind of champion does that?  I won’t let that happen against Brooklyn.  I had all but forgotten you Syd, so why did you pop back into my life now?  Why seventeen years later?”

Misty pauses for a second, just as the sound of her cell phone ringing is heard from inside her jacket pocket.  She takes it out, looking at the screen.

SPIKE CALLING…

Misty hits the ignore button, sending the call to her voicemail, then places her phone back in her pocket.  

“I know you can hear me, Syd.  I know you’re watching me.  Show yourself to me again.  Tell me what it is that you want from me, and if you don’t, then just leave me the hell alone.  I’ve gotten over your death, and I’m not going to let you screw with my mind anymore.  I’ve let it happen twice now.  There won’t be a third.  So come on.  Show yourself.”

Misty’s phone again sounds off in her pocket, only this time, it alerts her of a new voicemail.  She takes a deep breath again, takes her phone out and listens to the voicemail from Spike.

“Misty, this is about the fourth message I’ve left you and you still haven’t called me back.  Where the hell are you?  If I don’t hear from you soon, I’m going to have to report you missing.  I don’t know what the hell is going on with you, but you need to talk to me about it.  Eden keeps asking me where you are, but honestly, I can’t lie to her much longer.  You’ve got us all worried, so just get in touch with one of us.  Please.”

Misty sighs, then places her phone back in her pocket once again.  She looks at Sydney’s headstone again.

“I have a family now, Syd.  I have an amazing fiancée and two wonderful kids.  None of them know about you.  Not even my sisters know about you, but I don’t know how to tell them.  I forced myself to forget the past, and you’re part of the past.  Spike wants to know what is going on with me, but I can’t tell him.  Not yet.  He’ll think I’m crazy.  Everyone will.  Hell, look at me now.  I’m sitting here talking to thin air, begging you to show yourself, but you won’t will you?  You won’t show yourself until I face Brooklyn, and then I’ll lose.  Damn it, Syd, I wish I could just FORGET you completely!”

Just then a short breeze blows past Misty, sending a chill down her spine.  She looks around, but sees no one.  Just then, her phone beeps from inside her jacket pocket again, alerting her of a text message this time.  She takes her phone out, and reads the message, only confused.

READ THE LETTER…

The message was sent from a blocked number, so Misty thinks nothing of it.  Just as she is about to put her phone back in her pocket yet again, it beeps again.

READ THE LETTER I LEFT YOU…

Misty shakes her head.

“Sorry, stranger, I don’t know who the hell you are or what letter you are talking about, and I can’t send you a message back thanks to your blocked number, idiot.”

Once again she is about to put her phone back in her pocket, but it beeps again.  By this time, she is highly annoyed.  When she reads the text message this time, her eyes nearly pop out of her head and she drops her phone.

I’M NO STRANGER…YOU’RE AT MY GRAVE RIGHT NOW.

Misty grabs her phone, quickly putting it back in her pocket.  She jumps to her feet, and looks all around her, in a panic.

“I won’t do that, Sydney.  I can’t read that letter!  Do you hear me?!  DO YOU HEAR ME?! “

She looks down to the headstone one last time, then turns around and runs for her car.  She starts it in a hurry, then speeds away from Sydney’s grave, and out of the cemetery.

About an hour later…

Misty’s rental car pulls up outside of a one story blue house in a town outside of Chicago.  A white truck is in the driveway, and the front door is open.  She parks on the curb, then goes up to the door and knocks.  The man who comes to the door is none other than her father, and he looks surprised to see her.

“Misty?  What are you doing here?” He says, opening the door for her.

“Do you still have my stuff from when I was kid?  Anything I left in my room after I moved out?” She asks, almost out of breath and panicking.

He looks at her, still confused. “Everything is packed away in containers out in the garage.  Why?  Does anyone know you’re hear?  Dixie called me earlier and said no one knew where you were.”

Misty shakes her head, brushing off his question. “I’ll call them later, Dad.  I just need to go through the rest of my stuff.  I need to find something.”

“Well you’re welcome to go out there and look.  If you tell me what it is you’re looking for, I can help you.”  He offers.

Misty again shakes her head. “No thanks.  Is the garage door unlocked?  I’ll be quick.”

He nods and replies, “Yeah, it’s unlocked.  The containers are towards the back.  I have the stuff that was in your room labeled with your name.  Take all the time you need.”

Misty then dashes out of the house, and toward the garage.  She walks around the side to the door, then walks inside.  She spots the containers on a shelving unit in the back.  She walks over to the shelving unit, then takes one of the containers of her things down, removing the lid and rummaging through her belongings from her childhood.

“I can’t believe I’m doing this.  It’s probably not even in…” She stops in mid-sentence, just as she spots a white envelope with only her name written on it.

She slowly raises the envelope, and stares at the handwriting.  She then looks down into the container at a picture that was just under the letter.  The same saddened expression from earlier appears on her face as she takes the picture out.  There are two girls in the picture.  One is obviously her, only during her teenage years, and standing next to her is a girl about the same age, only with brunette hair.  Both seem to be quite happy, with smiles on their faces.  

Misty turns the picture over, looking at what she wrote on the back.

Me and Syd sophomore year

She shakes her head, then places both the letter and the picture in her pocket.  She puts the lid back on the container and puts it back on the shelf, then walks out of the garage.  Her father is on his front porch, wearing a light jacket and smoking a cigarette.

“Did you find what you were looking for?” He asks, taking a puff from the cigarette, then exhaling.

“Yeah, I did, thanks.”  She replies, looking at him. “I need to get going.  I have to get back to Vegas.  You really need to quit smoking, by the way.”

He laughs as he throws the cigarette down on the ground, stepping on it.

“You sure you don’t want to stay for a while?  We can go get some lunch, my treat.”  He says.

Misty shakes her head with a smile. “Thanks, but I’m gonna have to take a raincheck.  Everyone is worried about me, and I need to get back home.  I have a match on Sunday, and I need to get my mind focused on it.  Being here any longer than I already have been won’t help me any.”

Her father shrugs his shoulders. “Ok then.  I’ll hold you on your word about that raincheck.”

“I’ll talk to you later, Dad.” She says, then waves as she heads back to her car.  He waves back, but looks disappointed.  He disappears back inside his house, as Misty speeds off down the road, heading to the airport.

Friday January 13th

Misty has returned home to Las Vegas, and she has asked a camera crew to come to her home.  She has wasted too much time this week, and has a message to send to her opponent this week, Brooklyn Carter.

“Earlier this week, I let myself lose focus for a couple of days.  I left Las Vegas and flew back to Chicago searching for answers on something that I’m not sure why I even want to dig up.  I knew about my match against Brooklyn Carter, but at first I didn’t really care.  At the moment, I thought going back to Chicago in search of answers was more important.  But, I was wrong.  When I got there, I realized that it didn’t help me.  It was only a distraction.  A distraction that I couldn’t afford to let happen again.”

“Brooklyn, I watched your match last week against Kandi Washington.  I watched as you did something that I personally wanted to do this week.  I wanted to beat the hell out of Kandi Washington and send the bitch crying out of this company.  I had every intention of going out to the ring to send a message to Kandi, then challenge the skank to a match.  Unfortunately, she didn’t appreciate the fact that you beat her, so she quit.  Kudos to you, girl.  Kudos.”

“Oh well, I say.  Mark Ward and Christian Underwood decided this week, that you would get to face me.  The first and now former Bombshell Champion.  You made quite an impact in your first match, and now you have a chance to make an even bigger one when you face me.  Mark and Christian will be watching your performance closely, no doubt.  They already know what I can do, but if you were to beat me, you’d make quite a statement.”

“But that is IF you beat me, Brooklyn.  I’m not going to let that happen.  You’re young and you still have a lot to learn.  Don’t get me wrong, you have a lot of potential, but you have a lot of hard work ahead of you.  Are you really prepared to face the likes of either Kittie or Raynin?  I don’t think you are.  Facing me is one thing.  I have no problem helping to put you in shape and helping you hone your skills a bit more.  Does that mean I’ll lay down and let you win?  Hell no.”

“Kittie and Raynin on the other hand, will not back down.  They don’t see the potential in anyone but themselves.  If you were to face either one of them, I don’t think they would even dare attempt to shake your hand and tell you job well done.  Me, on the other hand…I would, and I will if by some miracle you get the win over me.  I know you have a lot to prove Sunday, but just by facing me, you’re proving a lot.  You don’t have to beat me to prove what you can do.  Just fight like hell, and you’ll be proving all you need to.”

“In this business we win some and we lose some.  Hell, I’m proof of that.  My record here in SCW isn’t what I’d like it to be.  I’ll admit, I have let some losses affect me, and that was a mistake, but it was just as much a mistake to let the wins get to my head also.  The Bombshell Division is heating up, and I can’t allow myself to be overly confident.  That is why I simply can not guarantee that I will beat you.  What I can guarantee, though, is that I’m coming at you with everything I’ve got.  I’m going to do everything in my power to walk away with another win on my record.  I don’t need to sit here and do what so many others in this company have done week in and week out.  I’m not going to sit here and talk trash.  No.  I’m going to be the decent one and wish you good luck Sunday.  You say you’re honored to face me, and to that I say, thank you.  There have been times where I let myself doubt my skills or doubt if I even have anything left in me, but just knowing that an opponent is honored to face me, means a lot.”

“So, Brooklyn, get ready.  Let’s show everyone watching just why the Bombshells should run the show.  Kittie and Raynin may be main eventing, but let’s go out there and show everyone why Brooklyn Carter vs. Misty should be the REAL main event.  Good luck, and let’s put on one hell of a show.”

Scene fades out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:47:58 PM by Misty »
>