Author Topic: Thanksgiving on the farm  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Tom Dudely

• View Profile
    • Wyatt Peterson
Thanksgiving on the farm
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »
 The sounds of clattering dishes can be heard as the scene comes into focus in the home of Wyatt Peterson’s family. A smorgasbord of food covers an extremely long table, about 20 feet long. There is stuffing, salad, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and many other delicious looking dishes. A half-eaten turkey stands as the centerpiece.  The table is surrounded by roughly about 25 people. There is a smaller table off to the side of the room that has 5 children seated at it. The mood is light and cheerful as everyone is talking and laughing with one another. At one end of the table, Wyatt is sitting next to the only man who’s less than 6 feet tall. Wyatt stuffs a fork full of stuffing into his mouth before turning to him.

Wyatt: Uncle Steve, how’ve thin’ been over in California fer ya?

Steve is caught slightly off guard by this shift in focus as he had just taken a bite of some turkey. Steve puts up a finger to motion for Wyatt to “hold on” and starts chewing vigorously before he answers the question.

Steve: Not so good really. California has been going down the crapper. My accounting business is suffering because nobody has any money to account for.

Wyatt: Ya considerin’ headin’ somewhere else?

Steve laughs.

Steve: No, there’s now where else in America where a short, scrawny guy with a big nose can get a good job. I’d might as well stay there and just hope things get better.

Wyatt lets out a little chuckle.

Wyatt: Ah always thought it was weird that you were so short with everyone else in the family being so big.

Steve: Yeah, well, your father got all of the good looks from our parents… and the farm… and the faithful wife.

Steve looks to be getting more and more depressed as his list goes on.

Wyatt: Oh no! What happened with Aunt Candy?

Steve: Well, once the money stopped coming in, she decided she couldn’t be with me anymore. She wouldn’t admit it, but I know it was because of the money.

Wyatt: Hate to say it, but that’s what happens with ya marry someone named Candy. They seem sweet, but they’re only in it for the money… or the sex.

A smile spreads across Wyatt’s face. Before Uncle Steve can respond, Wyatt’s cell phone starts ringing. Wyatt pulls it out of his pocket and looks at the display.

Wyatt: Sorry, Uncle Steve, Ah gotta take this.

Wyatt excuses himself from the table and slides his chair out. He walks out the front door into the crisp autumn evening air. A button push later and Wyatt has his phone to his ear.

Wyatt: Howdy Tom! Happy Thanksgivin’

On the other side of the phone is Wyatt’s manager, Tom Dudely.

Tom: Back at ya, Bud. Hope all is well.

Wyatt: Oh it is. It is. What’ve you got goin’ today?

Tom: I’ve been spending the day home in Dudelyville with Richy and his wife. Richy’s a hell of a cook.

Wyatt: Ah woulda never guessed it lookin’ at him.

Tom: Most people wouldn’t, but I taught him well.

Tom laughs.

Wyatt: It’s good tah know that you’re doin’ good. What brings ya tah call?

Tom: Oh, yeah. Did you catch your opponent’s promos they cut a couple of days ago?

Wyatt: No. Ah’ve been perdy busy with family stuff.

Tom: That’s good. You need to keep family close.

Wyatt: What’d the promos have tah say?

Tom: Well, let’s just say that they’re not focused on you or Sean Williams at all. Nick Jones is too hung up on the fact that his partner is Canadian and Bruce Evans is focused on the fact that Kid Karma lost the match for them last week.

Wyatt shakes his head.

Wyatt: That Kid Karma is somethin’. Ah’ve seen him give his all in a match against me and then he just… disappears off tha face of tha Earth. Ah just hope he finds himself before our rematch.

Tom: Yeah, we want him to be at the top of his game so when you beat him it’ll make you look better.  Let’s not focus too much on Kid Karma though. You’ve got this match next week to advance in the Lethal Lottery Tag Team tournament.

Wyatt: Oh yeah! Who’s mah partner again?

Tom: Sean Williams.

Wyatt: Sean Williams?

Wyatt turns the name over in his head.

Wyatt: Why does that name sound so familiar?

Tom: You probably heard of him when he was in GXW.

Wyatt: You ever wrassle him? What’s he like?

Tom: I’ve wrestled thousands of matches. I don’t remember every opponent I’ve ever been in the ring with. From what I do remember of Sean, he’s pretty good. I believe he was undefeated in GXW, don’t quote me on that though. He also was an X Division champion for a while.

Wyatt: Well, that’s good. At least ah ain’t getting’ someone like “Stoner” Scott Oliver on my team. What do you know about our opponents?

Tom: Well, I don’t really know much about Evans except that he’s Canadian. Honestly, that’s probably all you gotta know about him. He doesn’t matter. Nick Jones on the other hand. That guy is GOOD and he knows it. He had a stint as GXW Champion and was constantly one of the top contenders when he didn’t have the strap.

You can see the gears in Wyatt’s head turning.

Wyatt: So let me get this straight? As long as me and Sean can work together, it’s going tah basically be a two on one match ‘cuz one guy is too hung up on Karma and the other’s too cocky to work with anyone else.

Tom: That… sounds about right.

Wyatt: Well alright then. Do me a favor and set me up a meetin’ with this Sean guy. Ah wanna meet him before we team up.

Tom: I’ll see what I can do.

Wyatt: Thanks buddy. Ah should probably git back in with mah family. I recon’ you’ll be doin’ the same.

Tom: Good call. You have a good time. I’ll see you in Vegas on Tuesday.

Wyatt: Alright. Bye.

Wyatt pushes a button to end the call and puts his phone into the front pocket of his jeans. The sound of chattering people and clattering dishes can be heard as he opens the front door. He walks inside and closes the door behind him muting the sounds from the house. All that can be heard is the wind rushing along the land as the scene fades.  
user posted image