Author Topic: Every Dog Has It's Day.  (Read 83 times)

Offline TheLyonsDen

• View Profile
Every Dog Has It's Day.
« on: March 29, 2024, 10:17:13 PM »
It had been too long since Eddie Lyons had tasted competition. Not since his defense against Justin Smith had the Unbreakable One had any ring action. An unfortunately placed headbutt to Bill Barnhart's groin causing their match to be delayed.  Eddie felt fresher than ever, and he certainly wasn’t looking to lose to Bill Barnhart a second time. As far as Eddie was concerned, SCW has better get the backup prepared, because Bill Barnhart wasn’t going to be receiving a championship match at this point in time.

The Phoenix air was mild, somewhere around the mid 80s on the afternoon that Coach Kaiser and Eddie Lyons were doing some workouts in a local park. The fresh air was a nice break from what was sometimes a stuffy Lyons Den back home in the Carolinas.

“Good work Eddie, gotta keep that cardio strong.” said Kaiser as Eddie jogged furiously in place. He wanted this win for his student just as bad as Eddie himself did. He knew Eddie saw this as a chance to rewrite a wrong, and wanted to get his win back over Bill, one of the few men to hold a victory over the Roulette Champion.

“All Bill has is one victory over you.” said Coach Kaiser, continuing to motivate Eddie who was moving between jogging, and pushups now, “Since then he’s done nothing but lose, while you went on to become a champion. You’re gonna show him why his sole victory over you, was a fluke.”

Eddie continued switching between jogging and pushups for a few more moments, before calling for a quick break, grabbing a plastic 20 oz water bottle and downing the contents in mere seconds.

“How you feeling champ?” asked Coach Kaiser

“I feel rejuvenated, and ready to go.” replied Eddie, “I just want to get back into the ring.  I’m the SCW Roulette Champion. I want to be seen as one of the best Roulette Champions by the end of my reign, and I can’t do that by sitting around.”

“Spoken like a true champion. You’ll be alright kid.” said Coach Kaiser, proudly patting his student on the back.

“Thanks Coach.” replied Eddie. “Bill is tough, I’ll give him that. But something tells me he’s going to rest on his laurels that he beat me already, and that’s where I strike. That’s how I take advantage here.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself.” said Coach Kaiser, “You sure you even need me around anymore?”

Eddie laughed, “Of course. I wouldn’t be here without you. You guided me here, and now you get to guide me as a champion. I know I still have much to learn and you still have much more to teach. I’m a product of your hard work. It’s not so much a need, I want you around to experience this with me Coach.”

“Then I’ll be with you every step of the way.” Coach Kaiser replied, “You want to be one of the greatest champions. I’m going to make you one. Justin Smith was a mere warmup. Next we put an end to Bill Barnhart's championship dreams before they can even begin. Then we can see what this little backup plan is that management has planned."

“Sounds good to me.” said Eddie

“Then lets get back to it.” said Kaiser, “Breaks over, let’s go.”

With just a nod, Eddie was right back into it. Jogging in place, then dropping for pushups,then back up this time to throw some jumping jacks in the mix before going back to the jogging in place.

Jog in place.
Pushups.
Jumping Jacks.

It was a mix that Kaiser himself used in his days, and found it really helped with cardio, just to see how many minutes one could go, switching it up at will. Eddie seemed fond of a 30 second jog, ten pushups and ten jumping jacks.

“You think Bill trains this hard?” Kaiser said, going back to the motivational manner of slight yelling as Eddie went through the routine. “You think he has what it takes to beat you a second time?”

Kaiser paces around Eddie who continues the routine, making sure to keep his breath as well.

“No. He doesn’t.” said Kaiser, “You know it. I know it. Bill knows it, even Bea knows it. He can lie to himself all he wants, but what was it that delayed the match? A headbutt to the groin? Seriously? You suffered being knocked out, internal bleeding and you still found a way to pick yourself up and fight. If a headbutt tot he groin is all it takes to put this dog down, then this is going to be a walk in the park.”

“So, he beat you once. So What?” said Kaiser, circling Eddie as if the Roulette Champion were some sort of prey. “He didn’t face you at full power. You had been doubting yourself, due to another loss to Peter Vaughn, and he took advantage. But now? Now you ARE a champion, your confidence is back and you’re better than you ever have been.

Coach Kaisers gaze remains stern as he continues to circle Eddie during his routine never taking his eyes off his student.

“He wants your championship, then he’s going to have to earn it.” Kaiser continued, “I suppose if he does manage to beat you two more times then he will have earned it. But that won’t happen will it? You’re going to make it so Bill is forced to the back of the line, forced to find a different route to a championship. Who will you face at Blaze of Glory XII? I don’t know, but it won’t be “Bulldog”  Bill Barnhart."

The two would continue this for some time. Kaiser doing whatever he can to motivate Eddie as the Unbreakable One went through the routine over and over. Bill Barnhart was going to have to fight a lot harder if he wanted to defeat Eddie a second time, and earn himself a championship match. That much was certain.

The scene opens on Eddie with the Roulette Championship proudly placed on his shoulder. He’s leaned against a wall in one of the local Phoenix Gyms, where one of the SCW cameramen have caught up to him.  Really it felt like they were following him more these days. Being a champion it seemed, meant more attention on him. But he knew what they wanted. He had to give his thoughts on his match with Bill Barnhart.

“So we meet again Bill.” said Eddie, “Last time we faced off against one another, you won. I make no excuses. You were the better man, and I lost. Plain and simple. But let me ask you Bill, what have you done since then?”

Eddie smirks confidently at the camera

“You tapped out to Rodrigo, and then you lost to Peter Vaughn.” Eddie continued, “I however rebounded from that loss and I became a champion. Funny how these things work sometimes isn’t it? Let’s not forget I’ve actually beaten Peter. You should ask him how Eddie Lyons rebounds from losses.”

Eddie looks down at the championship on his shoulder before looking back to the cameras.

“So you want my championship.” Eddie continued, “Well you have a chance to earn a shot at it. Should you beat me twice then I will admit defeat and acknowledge you as the better man, and the true Roulette Champion. I’m a man of honor, and you have my word on that.”

Eddie nodded respectfully at the camera, he wasn’t lying and anyone who knew anything about Eddie knew his word was his bond.

“Buuuuuuut…” he continued, “I’m afraid that won’t be happening. You should probably enjoy your sole victory over me as much as possible, because it won’t happen again and I’m afraid you won’t be getting that championship match. The bad luck streak for the Barnharts will continue, and as Bea’s dreams of being Bombshell Roulette Champion went up in smoke, so shall your dreams of taking MY Roulette championship.”

Eddie takes in a breath, before continuing.

“Besides, I like surprises.” Eddie smiled, “I want to see what SCW has prepared as their Plan B. Can’t very well do that if you win here. So if I want my surprise then I have to beat you. I feel like I’m the best version of myself right now, and you are about to find out how much better I am since we last faced off. You will find out why my road since then led me to a championship, and all you’ve done is lose to the two biggest threats to my championship.”

Eddie pauses, just for a moment.

“Peter Vaughn and Rodigo Afonso.” Eddie said as he went on to explain, “See Peter could very well just demand a rematch and it would probably be granted to him, and I’d have to fight my toughest opponent once again and try to even the score between us. I don’t think that’s in his current plans but you never know, he just might change his mind and want the Roulette Championship back.”

Another short pause, from Eddie as he repostures slightly.

“And Rodrigo has that briefcase, which if he chooses he can use on me at anytime.” said Eddie, “Of course he can also pick Finn or Miles as well. But going after Finn right now would be foolish, and Rodridgo knows that. He might be able to pull a fast one on Miles Kasey, but Miles is experienced  and he’s crafty. It might not be the smartest decision to go after him either.  But me?”

Eddie smiles, and shrugs.

“The rookie champion, who is still young into his career?” said Eddie, “Sure he beat you twice but you could probably surprise him and get yourself a championship. After all alls fair in love and war.”

Eddie smiles again as he continues

“I mean, show on the other foot., if I were Rodrigo I’d go after me.” said Eddie, “Just know if you are watching this Rodrigo, know that I am aware of the power you hold and even if you don’t plan to cash in on me, I’m going to be keeping an eye on you until you do finally cash in. Just in case you know, gotta play it smart.”

Eddie taps his temple twice with his forefinger.

“You see Bill, this match for me is nothing more than redemption." Eddie continued, “I will avenge my previous loss to you, and then I’ll go on and defeat whatever backup plan, Plan B, or whatever you want to call it that SCW has planned. I fought to hard to earn this championship, and it’s not going to be taken from me so easily. You want this belt Billy Boy? You’re going to have to break me, and beat me limb from limb until I can’t walk anymore. But that won’t be enough, because my wounds will heal. Then you’re going to have to do it again. Then and ONLY THEN will you be able to call yourself Roulette Champion.”

Eddie has the intense eyes on now, showing he means business in letting Bill know he isn’t fucking around this time.

“You had your run as champion, but we’re in a new era and this is my time.” said Eddie, “I’m the Roulette Champion now, and am ready to face whatever fate the wheel has for me. I’m sure you’ll find your footing again Bill, but it won’t be at my expense. Winning this championship has made me more confident and it makes me want to push myself to be better. Being a champion means you are one of SCW’s very best, and I need to set that example as best I can. I have to make sure it’s known that SCW’s champions are among the most elite because that only helps both myself and SCW. So I have to up my game each and every time I step between those ropes, and maybe one day it’ll be the World Championship on my shoulder, but for now this will do..this will do.”

Eddie pats his championship proudly.

“Every dog has it’s day, but the Bulldog is going to have to wait or find a different route to his, because right now the mighty lion reigns supreme.” Eddie said, “You are not ready for me this time Bill. I’m a much more dangerous animal now that I have something to hold onto, and defend. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Eddie grins, and nods at the camera, as we slowly fade out to black.

It was a nice break from training, when Eddie met with his friend Cleo Phillips. She was in Phoenix for the week, doing some of her public speaking at the local Youth Detention Centers.  They had found their own corner of the little cafe to enjoy each others company.

“So, how’s the speaking going?” asked Eddie, “Getting through to those kids?”

“I try. I do.” said Cleo, “I know not all of them will try and make a better live for themselves, but even if I can reach a few, then I feel like I’ve succeeded.”

“Of course.” agreed Eddie between bites of his turkey club.

“But hey, how about you?” she asked, “Enjoying being a champion?”

“Of course.” said Eddie, “It only makes me want to work harder now. I want to not only be a champion, but be a strong one.”

“No doubt.” said Cleo, “I remember, my first singles championship. PWS Collateral Damage Championship. Didn’t last long before Johnathan Sanders defeated me for it  in my first defense.   I bounce back tho, had a good run with their United Championship, and later their World Championship. So remember, even if things don’t work out like you want it’s not over.”

Eddie nodded, but still he felt confident enough that his reign wold last at least through the summer, and well into the fall.

“Still, I see that look in your eyes.” Cleo continued, “It’s different, and I’ve trained with you enough times to know. You’re growing Eddie, and you are starting to look like a real superstar. It won’t be long before a new crop of students come into the Lyons Den and look to you for advice.”

“Thanks Cleo.” said Eddie, “I feel different, and I plan to hold my Roulette Championship for as long as possible. I’m sure SCW is going to throw a lot of challenges my way, and I’m ready. I’m still signed up for their mixed tag tournament they have coming up soon too, so I'm going to be pretty busy.”

“Well, hopefully you draw a good partner, like Eiley, Kallie, Roux or someone.” said Cleo

“Calaway wouldn’t be bad either.” said Eddie, “But I can only leave that up to fate. All i can do is maybe but some good mojo out there and hope for the best. Still, for now I need to just focused on the Roulette Championship. I can worry about the Blast From The Past tournament when the teams are actually announced.”

“Sounds alright to me.” said Cleo between bites of her Pastrami and Swiss on Rye. “So what’s this guy Bill about?”

“He’s big, mean and angry.” said Eddie, “Strong too, I made the mistake of underestimating him once, but it won’t happen this time.”

“One of those ey?”  Cleo laughed, "Well, something tells me you’ll be fine this time.You have a new fire and you have more reasons to fight. Show Bill why YOU are the champion, and get your redemption at the same time.”

“And send a message to the backup plan.” said Eddie, “If they even know who they are.”

“Does it matter who they are?” asked Cleo

“No. It doesn’t.” said Eddie, “I am going to make an example out of Bill, and shatter his championship dreams as the bad luck of the Barnharts will continue, and I will continue my rise to become one of the very best.”

“I know you will my dude.” said Cleo, “You’re making The Lyons Den proud.”

“I do my best.” said Eddie, “You know, SCW wants me to tour The Lyons Den soon, so we’ll probably be seeing more of their cameras around the place.”

“Hey that’s wassup!, you do your thing Eddie.” said Cleo proudly, “And know I always got your back.”

Eddie and Cleo fist bumped across the table, and continued to chatter and enjoy their lunch together before both later went about their own business, bidding one another farewell for now. They would certainly see each other again back home at the school.

_________

We open on a shot of Eddie sitting on the bench of a local park, as the camera caches his gaze, he begins speaking with the usual confidence we’ve come to know from the Unbreakable One.

“You understand right Bill?”
said Eddie, “You understand that this time is different. You understand that it would take more than a headshot to the nuts from Iris. A little bruising isn’t going to stop me from fighting,  and you are not going to be the one to take my shiny new championship away from me.”

As he speaks about the championship, which rests on his shoulder, he casually pats it.

“I mean suppose you win here, at Climax Control.” Eddie continued, “Do you really think you’ll pull one over on me for a third time? Even Peter Vaughn couldn’t do that, and we all saw what happened when you faced off against him. Your time isn’t now Bill, my time is now and your previous victory over me will be the only one you get.”

Eddie keeps his gaze on the cameras

“I do hope you find you’re footing again.” said Eddie, “Because you are talented, hell you’re a former Roulette Champion yourself. Two times over even. You’re even one of the few who can claim they beat ME. But like I said, you failed to take that ball and run with it. You couldn’t beat Rodrigo, and I’ve beaten him twice, and you lost to Peter Vaughn as well. The same man I beat for this championship on my shoulder. Because I caught the rebound and ran with the ball. I knew I had to wake up after that loss to you, and I did. So, thanks for that I suppose.”

Eddie smirks and shrugs.

“In any case, I’m going to keep my ball rolling straight into Blaze of Glory and beyond. With my Roulette Championship and Blast From The Past coming up, I’m going to be very busy. To my future BTTP partner, I hope you’re ready to kill it as much as I am, because if you are, then nobody will be able to stop us. Eddie Lyons is the future of SCW. I assure you all, this is only the beginning. I want to win every championship I possibly can in this company, so this BTTP deal will also be my chance to test the waters as a tag team. It’s all about goals, and looking to your future Bill, that’s why I will succeed and you won’t. I have all my ducks in a row. I’m looking ahead to Blast From The Past, while aware how much work that means for me now that I hold a championship. I keep a professional awareness about Rodrigo Afonso, as any champion should. I am prepared, more prepared than I was last time we met Bill. You will find out why I went on after that match to become a champion, and you went on to flounder and do much of nothing. I am “Unbreakable” Eddie Lyons, and not you, Rodrigo or whomever turn out to be Plan B will be taking it from me anytime soon. Don’t believe me? Then step into the Lyons Den, and find out. Just remember, you were warned.” said Eddie with confidence and vigor

He camera fades out slowly, as Eddie stares intently into the camera, looking like a man ready to go to war, because in his mind. He was.