Author Topic: A New Battlefield...  (Read 87 times)

Offline Peter Vaughn

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
A New Battlefield...
« on: March 08, 2024, 11:30:24 PM »
~The picture slowly opens up on the outside of a multi-story building. The drone focuses on the side of the building, where we can see “Michaels, Manning, & Associates, Attorneys at Law”. The drone then flies upwards, going up floor after floor, until it focuses on the windows with lights coming on. The drone seems to fly right through a window (which must have been open), turning to show the two men walking into the room. They’re both security guards, with the first man having drawn his weapon, pointing it forward.~

Guard #1: I’m telling you, I heard something.

Guard #2: And I’m telling you, you’ve been watching too many movies. And what are you going to do with that, spice up your dinner? C’mon, man…

~The second guard grabs his friend’s arm, pushing down the pepper spray so it doesn’t face downwind of them. The first guard shakes his head, before walking further down the hallway, looking in both directions.~

Guard #1: You don’t take this job seriously enough, Evan. We have to be on guard all the time. Constant vigilance!

Guard #2: Yeah, right. For the rates they’re paying me, they’re lucky I’m out here walking around. It’s not like anyone would want to break in here anyway. What’s there to find at a real estate lawyers’ office? Now, that corporate lawyer down the street, he probably has stolen cash stashed everywhere.

Guard #1: NOW who’s watched too many movies?

~The two men give a final look around, checking the doors in the hallway. Surprisingly, one of the handles turns, catching both by surprise. The first guard raises his pepper spray again.~

Guard #1: One… Two… THREE!!

!The door swings open, with the first guard charging in… and finding nothing. Just the usual desktop computer and bookshelves you’d see in any office. He glances under the desk, just to be sure, but there’s nobody. He turns back, his head down, scratching his scalp.~

Guard #1: Guess one of the paralegals forgot to lock up. We’ll have to note that in our report.

~The second guard is still standing outside the room, smirking. The first guard steps out towards him, finally realizing where he is.~

Guard #1: Wait, you didn’t follow me in there? What if there was a gunman?

Guard #2: Then I would have been down the hall in a flash, using your body as a shield. But there’s nobody here, Gary! This is the most boring job in the world! At least it should be, without you trying to turn it into an episode of NCIS or something. We’re not high-tech security guards, and this isn’t the Pentagon. Nothing ever happens here.

~The first guard shakes his head, almost disappointed, as he shuts the door behind him. The camera, still in the room with him, slowly zooms upwards, showing above the doorway… where Peter Vaughn is hanging there, supporting his weight across the two walls. He lets out a slow sigh, still hanging on in case they come back. Although he’s not making any noise, Vaughn’s voice can be heard laid over what’s happening.~

Peter Vaughn: You’re probably wondering what’s brought me to the situation I find myself in today. Well, I’d like to say it’s a funny story. But, actually… it’s not. Well, okay, me ending up on the ceiling doing my best Tom Holland is a LITTLE humorous. You think I could have a future in the movies after wrestling? You never know, right? But for now, let’s go back to what caused me to be a wallcrawler.

~Vaughn takes another deep breath, trying to readjust his hands… and slips, falling out of view. We hear a thud, but thankfully, wrestlers are taught how to fall. The picture cuts to black.~

One Day Earlier

~As the picture comes back up, we now find ourselves on the PMV Ranch, the pride and joy of one Peter Vaughn. It’s taken a lot of work to build this ranch up from the ground up, through a lot of sweat, blood, and tears, He sunk his entire winnings from the Roth Tournament victory into it, fighting against the traditional powers that be, who didn’t want a new player showing up in their business. Vaughn didn’t care. He didn’t back down, and now the PMV Ranch was being talked about as one of the fastest growing ranches in Texas. But Vaughn isn’t satisfied. Not yet.~

~The camera takes us into one of the storage sheds on the ranch, where Vaughn is lying next to a large, old-school tractor. He’s twisting his ratchet underneath, locking another piece in place, before pulling himself back up. He readjusts something on the top, then, satisfied, steps to the front of the tractor and presses a button. The engine fires up, sounding extremely powerful… way too powerful, really, for an older tractor. Vaughn smiles… but his smile fades as the engine slowly comes to a choppy stop.~

Peter Vaughn: Damn.

Sadie Anderson: Serves you right, trying to put a Corvette motor into a John Deere tractor.

~Vaughn looks up, surprised, as Sadie walks into the room. She smiles at her fiance, as he shrugs his shoulders.~

Peter Vaughn: Actually, it’s from a Mustang. But I understand the confusion.

Sadie Anderson: Whatever the reason, a tractor doesn’t need that much torque. And really, we don’t need a tractor, anyway. We have the horses to get around, remember?

~Vaughn chuckles, as he leans over, making a few more adjustments to the engine.~

Peter Vaughn: Oh, this has nothing to do with transportation. That's not what we need a tractor for.

Sadie Anderson: Huh? Why else would you be working on this?

Peter Vaughn: To get it working hard enough so we can plow some fields.

~Vaughn reaches deeper inside, grabbing at something we can't see, as Sadie's eyebrows shoot up to the top of her brow.~

Sadie Anderson: You don't mean... actual crops? Out here?

Peter Vaughn: Once I'm done, this tractor will have more than enough power to plow down the land to the east, carving it up so we can use it.

Sadie Anderson: Peter... I love you, but you want us to become... farmers?

~Vaughn pulls his hand free, shaking it for a moment. He probably touched a still-hot section, slightly burning himself. He looks back at Sadie, still smiling.~

Peter Vaughn: You act like it's a huge shock. We have a ranch. Why not farm it as well?

Sadie Anderson: Maybe because, oh, I don't know, the soil around here stinks? What do you think would grow out this way?

Peter Vaughn: Oh, I have a few ideas on that. I've got someone working on it right now. Look, before you shoot it down outright, let me explain my reasoning.

~Sadie steps back, her arms crossed, as if saying "This ought to be good". Vaughn, meanwhile, keeps talking while tinkering, showing he's able to multitask.~

Peter Vaughn: There's a lot of revenue in adding farming to the ranch. The price of vegetables have been skyrocketing lately, and we would be able to cut out the price of shipping for the Dallas consumer. If we can make it work, we'd also have plenty of crops that could be used for our cattle & other animals, saving us money on food processing fees. We would really earn funds on both sides of the equation. It's a win/win.

Sadie Anderson: Uh huh. And how much of this explanation is to cover the fact that you're doing it all just to soup up a tractor?

~Sadie shakes her head as Vaughn finishes one more adjustment, turning and hitting the button once again. This time, the tractor engine roars to life, and continues on. Vaughn smiles at it, before turning back to Sadie... but with a slightly different, more somber expression on his face.~

Peter Vaughn: Did I ever tell you that my grandfather was a farmer? On my mom's side. I can't say I knew him all too well... but I do remember that he was happy in life. He's pretty much what inspired me to get this ranch in the first place. I guess, in some ways... I want to be that happy, too.

~This surprising admission from Vaughn catches Sadie off-guard. She steps forward, putting a hand on his shoulder. Vaughn slowly smiles at her.~

Peter Vaughn: And yes, I want to drive this tractor at a high rate of speed. So sue me.

~Sadie laughs, as Vaughn steps over and turns it off, quieting the room once again. It allows us to hear someone yelling, as both Vaughn and Sadie turn towards the door. Cliff bursts in, looking around.~

Peter Vaughn: What's up, Cliff?

Cliff: Trouble.

~Without another word, Cliff gestures to them and heads back out. Vaughn, confused, hurries after him, with Sadie right behind. They head to the parking area of the ranch, where we can see a mid-size vehicle sitting there. Standing near the car is a well-dressed woman, looking somewhat out of place on a ranch like this. Vaughn walks up to her, showing no fear, as she lowers her sunglasses to look at him.~

Woman: Peter Vaughn?

Peter Vaughn: That's me. What can I do for you, Miss?

~Vaughn reaches out a hand, and the woman automatically meets him for a handshake. She then looks down, her eyes widening, as she realizes that Vaughn's hand was covered in grease and oil. The handshake breaks off, with the woman looking disdainfully at the smudges on her hand. She then reaches out with her other hand... handing Vaughn a large envelope.~

Woman: Peter Vaughn... you have been served.

Peter Vaughn: Huh?

~Vaughn, puzzled, looks down at the legal envelope. He quickly opens it, not concerned with getting the contents dirty. He reads quickly, then, stone-faced, hands the letters back to Sadie, who reads through them as well.~

Sadie Anderson: Hold on... this is a claim... to our land?

Woman: All I know is that someone has approached our firm and started a suit, saying that you obtained this land illegally. It should not have been sold to you, since it previously belonged to... someone else.

Peter Vaughn: That's preposterous. I bought this land from the original owner, Sam... something or other. Everything was legitimate. Who's the person making this claim??

Woman: I'm not privy to that information. I'm just the process server, sir. I'm just doing my job.

Peter Vaughn: ... I know you are. You've got to make a living somehow, right? Thanks for coming by.

~Vaughn moves past her, reaching up to pat her on the shoulder on the way by. She stiffens, knowing that she just got a large, greasy handprint on her upper blouse. As the woman steps back to her car, annoyed, Vaughn and Sadie head for the main house, with Cliff behind them.~

Cliff: Sorry, boss. I knew she was trouble.

Peter Vaughn: Don't worry about it. We just need to figure this all out.

Sadie Anderson: This is a frivolous suit. I'm going to call our lawyers. I'm sure they can work everything out. I just can't believe this!

~Vaughn steps to the side, still reading over the documents that they were sent, as Sadie gets on the phone, dialing.~

Peter Vaughn: The real mystery is who's behind this. Why is the plaintiff staying anonymous? We need to find that out, to know what's going on.

Sadie Anderson: I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of that, Peter. Hello? This is Sadie Anderson. Yes, I need to speak to Henry. Thank you.

Peter Vaughn: Hmmm. Michaels, Manning, & Associates. I think I've seen their building...

~Vaughn's eyes gleam, as we've seen before when he's coming up with ideas. Sadie has seen it before, too.~

Sadie Anderson: Peter, don't even think about... whatever you're thinking about. Let's leave this one up to the lawyers, okay?

Peter Vaughn: Sure, Sadie. Sure.

~But the gleam doesn't leave Vaughn's eyes, as he gets up and walks out of the house, leaving Sadie to handle the lawful side of the business. He's got other things on his mind.~

You never know where your next choices are going to take you. Sometimes, when you take that right turn at Albuquerque, you actually find success. And sometimes, when you embark on a completely new journey, you end up at familiar places. Such as facing... Bulldog... Bill... Barnhart.

Billy boy... we meet again. It doesn't seem like I'm able to get away from you, really. Of all the Sin City faithful, I do believe I've fought you the most. I've certainly beaten you the most. You were there right at the beginning of my title reign, actually, you and Malachi. He certainly didn't last, but you, Billy, you can't be stopped, can you, no matter how many times you go down?

Let's see. There was the Ladder match at Into The Void, where I walked away the Roulette Champion, leaving you in the dust. After that, I believe it was the stretcher match, where you thought your superior dead weight would be enough to beat me. A few wraps of duct tape took care of that, making sure that your ass stayed on the stretcher. You failed once again to keep the Roulette Title away from me. You had one more opportunity, though, and it wasn't a high-flying match OR a brute strength match. It was pure luck, the Briefcase Bonanza... and you still failed.

Three strikes usually means you're out, boyo.

But that said, I'm not the Roulette Champion anymore, am I? Which means this is an entirely new game for you. We've fought many times now, Bulldog, but it's never been... normal. This time, it'll be a straight singles match. No weapons for me to use. No speedy ascents up a ladder, and no ridiculous briefcases to open. This time, it's all about the 1-2-3 for us. Maybe you think, hey, I'm a veteran, I'll be able to pin him quickly and show that Peter Vaughn is nothing without Roulette Rules in place. And you're more than welcome to think that.

You're entirely wrong, but by all means, keep thinking like this is going to be easier for you.

You see, I've competed the world over. I've fought in all sorts of matches, it's true, but just like you, the main fights have been one-on-one single pinfall affairs. I have plenty of experience in going where the rules take me, and even though beating you with a simple pin sounds... boring... I've done it to plenty of wrestlers over the years. I have a long, long List of the Vanquished that shows everyone who's fallen to me in the past. And sure, your name is already on there with three checkmarks, but I'm fine with adding a fourth style I can defeat you with.

You know, Billy, actually, you've missed out on some of my best moves, because I haven't had to use them in the confines of our extreme conflicts. I've got a series of maneuvers that all have been successful in getting me victories, and I'm looking forward to trying them all out on you, and see which one works the best. Will it be the Keyholder? Could I lock you down for good? Or maybe Revenged is the dish that should be served. Really, though, it usually comes down to an opponent taking the Plunge.

Or hell, I could simply roll you up and move on with my night, as I've got more important things to concern myself with.

After all, Bulldog, you're just a weak, faded speedbump in my road towards the next division, the Internet Championship. I've run you over plenty of times, and frankly, you're just a distraction at this point. I'm more concerned with getting some more gold around my waist. But don't worry. I won't come in with my eyes on Milo. I'll be ready to put you down, and send a message to the OTHER wrestler I've fought more than anyone in Sin City that things haven't changed, despite the alteration in levels.

I'm still miles and miles better than you both, and I'll prove that once again by squashing your 'legendary' status down once again.

Present Day

~We return back to the law offices, where we see Peter Vaughn nonchalantly walking along the sidewalk, moving around to the side of the building. He reaches into his pocket, pulling out a set of skeleton keys, and then heads to the Authorized Personnel Door on the side... aka the custodians' entrance. Vaughn quickly shifts through the keys, showing his skills haven't diminished in that regard, quickly choosing the right one and unlocking the door. He heads inside, shutting it behind him, before looking around.~

Peter Vaughn: So far so good. I wasn't sure Barney would come through, but I guess I owe that man a fish dinner... in Hawaii.

~Vaughn moves slowly through the narrow hallways, making his way out to where the main stairwell is at. He grabs at the door, about to open it, when he stops, noticing a sensor attached near the top. He shakes his head.~

Peter Vaughn: Barney, you forgot to mention that one... your trip's downgraded to Corpus Christi.

~With that, Vaughn reaches up, making a few quick adjustments to the sensor. He's able to redirect it to channel above the doorway, keeping its connection even as Vaughn can now open the stairway door and start on his way up. He gets to the top, checking carefully to make sure there's not another sensor before going out to a familiar-looking hallway. He walks down, looking at the doors, until he finds the one he's looking for. The skeleton keys come back out, and the paralegal's door is quickly opened. Vaughn steps inside, shutting it behind him, but failing to lock it. He's too interested in the computer sitting in front of him.~

Peter Vaughn: Alright. Now the tricky part.

~Vaughn reaches into one of his pockets, pulling out a flash drive. He considers it, looking a little nervous about its contents, as he's relying on someone else for this part of the plan.~

Peter Vaughn: If Jorge did his work right, this should get me into the system within 10 minutes. If he didn't, well, I guess I'll be trying to explain myself to the police... and worse, Sadie. All I can do is hope that this works...

~Anxiously, Vaughn starts to plug the flash drive in, inadvertently hitting the mouse as he leans closer. The computer screen immediately comes on... showing a database screen, completely unsecured. Vaughn stares at the screen for a few seconds, stunned by his luck.~

Peter Vaughn: Really? You didn't bother to log out? That's a major security violation, young lady...

~He whispers this to the picture frame nearby, which has a family shown in it. Apparently the lady there is the paralegal, who made a serious blunder, which works for Vaughn's benefit. He begins typing into the database, bringing up the files he wants to see.~

Peter Vaughn: Hmmm... so the client is apparently Augustus... Raymeth. Why does that last name sound familiar? Wait... I bought the land from Sam... Raymeth, didn't I? So who's this? His son? His brother? Hmmm. At least now I know more about what he's going to be claiming. But why'd he wait this long before... wait a second...

~Vaughn suddenly scrolls down further, noticing that there's another contact added to the contract below Augustus. Vaughn's eyes narrow as he scowls at the name on the screen.~

Peter Vaughn: ... Judd Harrison. I should have known...

~Vaughn remembers Judd quite well, as he was the rancher who worked the hardest to keep Vaughn from succeeding. Judd was the man who tried to block him from the cattle ranchers' union, and nearly blocked him from being able to purchase cattle. He was an extreme thorn in Vaughn's side, but Vaughn hadn't heard from him in some time.~

Peter Vaughn: Harrison... you've made a major mistake getting involved with me again, you son of a bitch!

~Vaughn's volume goes up a little high, understandably so, due to the shock he just received. But seconds later, Vaughn hears doors opening outside, as security begins to approach. Looking around the office, he considers diving under the desk, but changes his mind, as that's the first place people will look. He glances upwards, noticing the framework, but seems to second-guess that one... only to have to react when the doorknob starts to move. He leaps upwards, pinning himself high up, as the guards walk in, look around, and finally leave. Vaughn then falls, managing to catch himself on his hands and feet, muffling the impact. He gets back up, listening at the door, but hearing nothing else. Vaughn turn turns back to the computer.~

Peter Vaughn: They'd probably hear a printer running, wouldn't they? Okay then, plan B it is.

~With that, Vaughn gets out his cell phone, taking pictures of each document on the screen, getting the knowledge that he would need in this surprising battle to save his ranch. We cut away.~

It doesn't matter if you're a brand new foe to me, or an ancient enemy that just won't die. I'll fight you both just the same.

I have to ask, Barnhart: why do you still come in and fight? Don't you have enough money saved up at this point where you and your missus could go and enjoy retirement? Have you saved anything for the future? I started a 401K account as soon as I became a wrestler. I would have started it when I was a janitor, but let's face it, I wasn't been paid enough. But once the earnings increased, it was the only prudent thing to do. I really hope you haven't wasted all of your funds on beer and medical expenses. That'd be a damn shame.

At some point, man, you're just not going to be able to compete anymore... if what you do now is considered "competing". You've got to think of the future!

At least, your future after this Sunday, because that story has already pretty much been written. I'm going to be flying around you like airplanes going around King Kong, only you won't be able to swat me out of the sky. I'm going to run so many circles around you, you're probably going to need motion sickness pills afterwards. Quite frankly, you won't be keeping up with me, not that you ever could. Odds are, you won't even see the end coming until you wake up on the canvas, realizing that you're now 0-4 against me.

You should probably leave it at that. Don't accept any more bookings against me. It's just not fair.

Seriously, though, Bulldog, I do respect what you've done in the business. It may not sound like I do, but you've stuck around while a lot of other losers have bit the dust, and that's worth something in the long run. But I'm the one moving up the ladder, Billy. I'm the one fighting in a tougher division. You should really just go challenge Eddie Lyons and stay in your lane. I mean, I think Lyons would take you out quickly, too, but you'd have a much better chance against him.

When it comes to facing the Mechanic, the odds aren't just against you. They're crushing you to dust.

I mean, you think anyone's betting on you to come out victorious against me? If they are, they're a glutton for punishment, or just want to get rid of their money to the 'noble' cause of gambling. There's no possibility you're going to overcome the challenge in front of you. My victory is a sure thing. And when I come flying down onto you, with the last thing you might see in the arena that night, I hope you realize that, once again, you've been outclassed, outgunned, and out-and-out proven to be a failure against me.

And I'll have one more Sin City victory locked down, as I head towards the next challenges in life... while you slink back down to the bottom once more.

~The picture shifts once more, and now we find ourselves in daytime, standing outdoors. Vaughn is walking through one of his favorite places on earth, the Garden of Betrayal, an arboretum that he created in the middle of downtown Dallas. Next to him, the camera moves a little more unnaturally... as our favorite cameraman readjusts it to be able to focus on him.~

Cameraman: Alright, I'm rolling. So why are we back in the Garden, Mr. Vaughn? We haven't been here in quite some time.

~Vaughn moves off to the side, with the cameraman following him. Vaughn touches a couple of the flowers nearby, which are still able to bloom despite the wild temperature shifts the Dallas area has experienced lately.~

Peter Vaughn: I suppose it felt right... to return to where a lot of it began last year... when I was the Roulette Champion.

~The two men continue on down the path, as Vaughn gets a little sentimental about the past.~

Peter Vaughn: It was an incredible reign, my friend. I set a record that few people are going to be able to come close to challenging. I know Eddie wants to give it a go, and I give him my blessing... but it's hard to see him lasting 270 days as Roulette Champion. Hell, it took him several tries just to get past me, and sure, he learned a lot from those matches, but will it be enough to threaten my record? I guess we'll see.

~Vaughn suddenly takes them on a side path, one the cameraman hasn't seen before. He hurries to catch up, as Vaughn continues to speak.~

Peter Vaughn: It was time for a change. I never planned to stay in the lower division for so long. But what's done is done, and now it's time to make my way up towards the top. That's why I've challenged for the Internet Title at the next big show, to prove that I belong higher up the card. And how did the management respond to this match? They put me against my old 'friend', Bulldog.

~Vaughn sighs, even as he moves along the path, which has gotten more narrow. The cameraman has to move carefully to avoid the thorns from the large branches nearby, although Vaughn appears to be having no problems himself.~

Peter Vaughn: I'm all set to be living in the future, but they want me to fight in the past a few more times. That's fine by me. I'll castrate the Bulldog once again, I'll take the fight to ol' Milo, and I'll prove myself with another championship reign. And then, guys like Finn Whalen and Goth will have to start to wonder when I'm coming their direction for another bite at the main event apple. It's a brand new day for the Mechanic, guaranteed.

~Ahead of them, there appears to be a doorway hidden in the greenery. Vaughn pushes it open, stepping inside what appears to be a small greenhouse. The cameraman follows, looking around quickly. He seems to be suspicious about Vaughn's motives here.~

Cameraman: You sure you want me to film in here, Mr. Vaughn? Is this... legal?

Peter Vaughn: Legal? Of course it's legal. These plants just required a little more... protection, that's all. But they're coming along, aren't they? They're growing nicely. And when I transplant them soon enough... they're going to be the start of our new future, no matter what certain people think about my land...

~With that, Vaughn steps over to the right, reaching out and grabbing what appears to be a mostly ripe tomato from the vine. He looks it over, nodding and smiling, as he stares at the reddish tint of the tomato. He holds it up, offering it back to the cameraman, as we slowly fade out.~