Author Topic: PETER VAUGHN (c) v EDDIE LYONS - ROULETTE CHAMPIONSHIP  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Christian Underwood

• TAFKATPF aka The Artist Formerly Known As The Pink Flamingo
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Christian Underwood
PETER VAUGHN (c) v EDDIE LYONS - ROULETTE CHAMPIONSHIP
« on: August 14, 2023, 06:48:48 AM »
Please post all roleplays here! Have fun and good luck!

“To err is human - but it feels divine.”
? Mae West

Offline TheLyonsDen

• View Profile
Re: PETER VAUGHN (c) v EDDIE LYONS - ROULETTE CHAMPIONSHIP
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 03:09:02 PM »
It was hard for Eddie to believe, he hadn’t expected this opportunity to be given to him so quickly, well given was the wrong word, he had earned his shot at the Roulette Championship.He had a chance to become a champion in only his third match, it had to mean that people were talking notice of his work, and were already seeing him as someone who can help carry Sin City Wrestling into the future. He also had the chance to continue a trend in the Lyons Den, as each of his cohorts had all won championships, less than a year into their respective runs, but NONE of them had done it by their third match.  Eddie had a chance to make a real impact here, and he wasn’t about to squander it. Win or lose he planned to make it a career defining match, and he would make sure everyone would remember the name “Unbreakable” Eddie Lyons.
3:42 PM On A Monday
Eddie’s Family Home
Baltimore, Maryland
Off-Camera

Eddie stands in the middle of the SCW ring, being handed the Roulette Championship, which he raises high as Justin Decent makes the call

Justin: Your Winner, and the NNNEEEEWWWW SCW ROULETTE CHAMPION, “UNBREAKABLE” EDDIE LYONS!!!

Jason Adams: Well Lyons won a hard fought two out of three falls match, and this young superstar has already earned the right to call himself a champion, the future is bright for the Unbreakable One…

Suddenly he awoke, and he wasn’t in an SCW ring at all, he was back in his family home in Baltimore after catching a redeye after Climax Control, asleep on the couch, Violent Conduct was still about a couple weeks away. Ever since he defeated Jaycee in that swimming pool match, all he had been thinking, and dreaming about was becoming champion, and continuing the momentum he had going and hopefully making his dreams become a reality.

He stretched his arms out and rubbed his eyes, before picking up a picture on the nightstand, it was of his father Ray, and his uncles Vincent and Zachary. The three patriarchs of the Lyons Dynasty, he smiled as he looked at it, knowing they came from better times between the three brothers.

“We took that the day Vincent opened The Lyons Den.”
a voice said, “Your uncle Vincent was so proud to open the school.”

It was his father, Ray the middle child of the three and often if not always he one caught in between all the fights between the eldest Vincent and the youngest Zachary.

“How longs is been now? Six years?” asked Eddie

“Yeah.” his father nodded, still showing some effects of losing his older brother.

“Well, I think he would be proud of all the work Kaiser has put into the place, and how much he’s pushing the new generation of talent.” replied Eddie.

“Yeah, he would. I just worry about the twins.”
replied Ray, “They’ve changed over the years since then, especially Vincent Jr.”

Eddie nodded in agreement, Vincent Jr had been someone he looked up to growing up, they say your first best friend is your cousin, and for Eddie that rang true.

“It happened after HWL closed. Victoria lost control of herself and started up with the manipulation, digging her claws into Vincent.” Eddie said, “Now she’s working on Alex.”

“She’ll get him.” said Ray, “Alex just wants a family that accepts him. He blames us for him being outcast all these years, but that was his mothers fault, with her vendetta against your Uncle Zack, you know he loved the rats back in the day, and honestly there might be more out there we don’t know about, like with Alex.”

“His papa was a rolling stone.”  Eddie replied

“Exactly” his father replied., “I guess every family needs to have a wild one, and ours is your Uncle Zack. I couldn’t even deal with him after Vincents passing, so I just kinda left, even though I do technically own half of the school, I just can’t deal with my younger brother anymore.”

“Honestly, Kaiser does all the work anyway. Uncle Zack isn’t around there much either.” Eddie shrugged

“Figured as much, he’s always been a hard worker, and he had the utmost respect for Vincent.” replied Ray.

Uncle Vincent made him the first graduate of The Lyons Den way back in the beginning right?” asked Eddie

“That’s correct, along with Aaron Asphyxia.” his father replied with a nod, “Man, that was so long ago.”

“Aaron was my boss in PWE, she was always good to me.” Eddie replied.

“Her and Keevee are good friends, she’s always been supportive of his talents, and his students, and vice versa.” said Ray, “Anyway, how are you feeling? I know you have a championship match coming up. Are you ready?”

Eddie shrugged, “I don’t know. I didn’t expect this opportunity so fast and it’s all a bit intimidating. But I’m not the type to squander opportunities either.”

“Well, they gave you a chance for a reason. They could have gave that #1 contendership to anyone, but they chose you and you took that ball and ran with it, now you have a chance to become a champion. Just remember, you have nothing to lose here.” Ray told his son.

Eddie looked at his father curiously, as he continued to listen.

“If you win, well that speaks for itself doesn’t it?” Ray continued on, “But if you lose, you don’t really lose. So Peter Vaughn beats the spunky new kid, and picks up another victory in his own respective run, but you Eddie? You’re the new guy that catapulted himself into a championship match based on his talent alone, it’s early enough into your career that even  loss here will still help your SCW career, at least so long as you put up a good fight.”

“That’s what I do best.” said Eddie

“That’s my boy.” Ray said with a proud smile at his only child and son.

“Yeah, that’s all I gotta do. Just show the world that Eddie Lyons is here to stay, and that Eddie Lyons is the real deal, and if I do put Peter Vaughn down” Eddie said with a smile, “Well, then the Roulette Championship would be the cherry on top.”

Eddie stood up from the couch, and stretched his arms out.

“I should probably head out, I wanna get down to The Lyons Den and train for a bit, before I have to fly back to South America.” said Eddie.

“Of course.” said Ray, “And remember this is always your home as well. Mom still hasn’t changed your room at all.”

“Sounds like mom” Eddie laughed, “Tell her I love her when she gets home.”

“You sure you can’t stay for dinner?” asked Ray

“I would, but I have a championship match to prepare for…duty calls.” Eddie replied, giving his dad a hug.

“Well, we’ll be here rooting for you son.” Ray said proudly, returning the hug.

With that, Eddie grabbed his overnight travel bag and slung it over his shoulder, as he left the family home, and headed off to the training center.

1:30  PM On A Tuesday
The Lyons Den Training Facility
Charlotte, North Carolina
Off Camera

Eddie arrived to Charlotte late in the evening the night before, after the school had closed for the evening. As a Lyons, he of course has 24/7 access, but decided to just check into a hotel before making his way down to the school.

When he arrived, he looked for his trainer but Keevee Kaiser was nowhere in sight, he did find Cleo Phillips going to town on a punching bag, really giving it the business. He watched her for a moment, before they finally catching her gaze.

“My Boy!” said Cleo with excitement, “What’s good Eddie?”

“Just looking for Keevee, have you seen him?” Eddie said, as he fist bumped with Cleo.

“He had to step out, his daughter twisted her ankle training.” she said.

“Oh damn, she okay?” asked Eddie

“Yeah, she’ll be fine, pretty sure she just tweaked it on a goofy landing.” said Cleo

“I hope so, she is a tough kid.” said Eddie.

“So what about you? Big championship match already.” said Cleo, “How you feelin’?”

“Honestly..” said Eddie, as the two walked to sit on a nearby bench, “It’s a lot of pressure, but I feel like I can do this.”

“I know you can.” said Cleo, “I know how hard you train. You know anything about this Peter Vaughn guy?”

“Former Janitor, turned wrestler. I guess he used to be a good natured dude, but got brainwashed or something.” said Eddie

“Like Vincent.” said Cleo

“Like Vincent…” said Eddie

“Well, nice guy or not, the janitor is about to get wiped up by Eddie Lyons.” said Cleo giving Eddie a pat on the back.

“I gotta face the unknown again, not knowing if this will even be a wrestling match at all.” said Eddie

“Hey, ain’t nobody around here understand facing the unknown more than me.” said Cleo, “Back when I was still runnin’ the streets before PWS saved my life, I faced the unknown every day. I see that look in your eyes, you’re ready. You work best under pressure. Peter Vaughn is in for a surprise.”

Eddie nodded, he knew Cleo was right. He did work best under pressure, when he felt he had something to prove, and that currently meant proving himself to SCW and continuing to make himself known.  He did feel like he might be he hottest newcomer in months,maybe even since Peter Vaughn himself. Peter however had previous accomplishments across several companies, and all Eddie had to claim for his time before coming to Sin City was getting jumped by former SCW World Champ Finn Whelan., if ever there was an uphill battle this was it.

“Well I won’t make it easy that’s for sure.” said Eddie, “You know what…I got some things I need to say to Peter, I’m gonna use the recording room.”

Cleo fist bumped with Eddie once more, “Yeah, no doubt. Do your thang Eddie. You know whatever happens, I always got your back.”

“Thanks Cleo.” said Eddie, before taking his exit the studio area of the school, where the students would record some of their promos before sending the tapes out to their respective companies.

1:45  PM On A Tuesday
The Lyons Den Training Facility (Studio Area)
Charlotte, North Carolina
On Camera

Eddie liked keeping things more on the simpler, traditional side, so he had chosen a simple backdrop and camera setup for his promo. He stood in front of a banner bearing the sigil of a Lion, with Eddies name emblazoned on it fashionably, a throwback to the classic promos of the 80s and 90s.

“Peter Vaughn, because I consider myself an honest man, I am going to be honest with you.” Eddie began, “As I start to get to know this locker room, you have the honor of being the first person to rub me the wrong way.”

Eddie paused for a moment, mostly as not to ramble, and be sure the viewers could catch his words.

“You tweeted at Jaycee and myself, and sure you wished us luck, but you also said you tend to be lenient.” Eddie continued, “So, what were you trying to suggest? That one of us would take that as permission to use some sort of shortcut? I won’t speak for Jaycee,  but that is not my style, and to suggest as much is an insult to my honor.”

Eddie looked into the camera with serious intent, maybe he was taking something as innocuous   as a tweet too seriously but it did bother him, and it did spark something of  fire in him heading into Violent Conduct.

“I looked into your history.” Eddie said, “You used to be a nice guy, people liked you, but then you lost who you were, and let success ruin you. Well, maybe I can take the words of  one of the greatest lions of all time and help you remember who you are.

His voice deepens as he says the last few words, as he puts on his best James Earl Jones as Mufasa.

“Or I can just show you who I am. Who Eddie Lyons is.” Eddie continued, “Unlike you, I am someone who refuses to go against his principles. Someone who stays true to who they really are and will NEVER compromise. If I win this match then it will be because I truly earned it, if you win this match Peter, will you be able to say the same?”

He keeps his eyes on the camera, with a few hand motions as he continues speaking.

“I have everything to gain and nothing to lose in this match.” Eddie continued, “But I will do everything in my power to walk out a champion, and make myself one of the fastest rising stars in SCW history and return you back to janitorial duty so you can find yourself again and become the Peter Vaughn that everyone loved, and release you from this facade you’ve been putting on for the past couple years or so.”

Eddie paces around slightly a couple times before continuing.

“Understand that I’m the type of guy who wants to be the best, and the more I think about it the Roulette Championship is a great route to becoming the best.” said Eddie, “It means I’m not only facing the unknown, but the champion of it. Being forced to deal with a surprise at every corner,  every time I’d have to defend that championship can truly help my career. By being forced to think on the fly and not know what to expect, it can only teach me and make me better in the future when I DO know what to expect. So be it some sort of traditional match, something more hardcore, be it another pool match, a Pokemon battle, a battle rap or a damn basket weaving competition I’ll be ready, and I’’ll be ready to do it the right way. I might come up short in this match, but what I won’t lose is my honor, and my self respect. I will not comprise who I am just to hold a championship. I said it when I arrived in Sin City, if I become a champion it will be when I have truly earned the right to call myself a champion, because I am Eddie Lyons and it will always be HONOR BEFORE GLORY.

He puts on his best game face, and looks into the cameras until they fade to black.

Offline Peter Vaughn

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
Burying The Competition, P1
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 11:13:57 PM »
~Our shot opens up on the same quiet lot that once housed a gigantic, abandoned warehouse. That building has since been torn down (in dramatic fashion), but Peter Vaughn has continued work on the site, clearing away the debris and planting both grass & trees in specific locations throughout the area. Now, as we return, we can see him in the distance, working once again. The cameraman makes his way over, following what appears to be a freshly laid brick path. He reaches near the end of it, coming up behind Vaughn, who we can see is preparing another brick for placement. He locks it into position, making sure it sticks, before looking back at the cameraman and pointing a dirty finger in his direction.~

Peter Vaughn: You were late on purpose this time, weren't you? You wanted to see more of what I'd be doing today... while not helping any yourself. I get it. You're not interested in extra labor. Just "doing your job" or whatever. It's fine. Fine.

~It doesn't seem "fine" to Vaughn, but the cameraman doesn't argue. He just steps to the side, onto the grass, to get a better shot of Vaughn's path that he's building. It's really rather intricate, using different colored bricks to make a captivating pattern. It's still not clear, though, why Vaughn is going to all this trouble, as he's never explained the work he's been doing. Nor does it seem like he's going to do it now, as he gets up and splashes some water on his hands, cleaning them.~

Peter Vaughn: Construction is always messy work. But hey, the more you put in, the better things come out, right? I mean, take my Sin City career. I've put a lot into it at this point. I arrived here in February, nearly half a year ago, to help my man Mac Bane win a championship. I took on some of the supposed strongest guys here, wrestlers like Milo and Barnhart, and sent them packing. I went into my first SCW Pay-Per-View and got a victory over Jack Washington at Blaze of Glory XI. THAT one got people talking, didn't it?

~Vaughn smirks to himself, remembering the sensation of starting off so strongly. He then grabs another brick, pasting it up for placement in the path.~

Peter Vaughn: After that, it seemed like the sky was the limit. I went on to win the Roulette Championship at Into The Void XII, and there seemed to be nothing in this world that could stop me... until I lost that rematch with Washington. You'd think, since we're 1-1 against each other, there'd be another match, but it sure felt after that one that people said "Well, clearly, THAT'S the one that matters", because I haven't heard anything about a tiebreaker between us. Instead... instead, it feels like maybe I'm stuck in a rut now.

~The smirk is gone, replaced by annoyance, as Vaughn slams down the brick into position. He's a little too forceful, as the brick cracks upon impact. Grumbling to himself, Vaughn quickly pops it back out before it can set, tossing it to the side and going for another brick.~

Peter Vaughn: To be sure, I've taken the Roulette Championship to new heights. People are damn excited to see this belt defended whenever possible. But the higher-ups may have lost faith in me, because they first give ol' Barnhart another shot at the belt, and then pitted me against the man who lost to the Troll. He doesn't even deserve his name mentioned, to be frank, but I took him down nonetheless. I beat him expecting a major contender for my belt... and instead I get a contenders match between two lower-card guys, wanting their chance in the PPV spotlight. I've gone from Hall of Famers to the Backyard Rookies. I mean, how old's this kid Lyons? 18? 19?

~The cameraman flashes his free hand a few times, probably conveying the correct age due to Vaughn's reaction.~

Peter Vaughn: 22? Damn, that's hard to believe, but they do look younger every day, I guess. So I'm fighting the youngster with a couple of wins under his belt, defending my championship once again... and my man Goth comes back, and immediately is ahead of me in the World Title rankings. Yeah. Proud of him and all, but... well, we'll see what happens after Violent Conduct is over with.

~With a sigh, Vaughn gets another brick in place. Despite his discussion with the cameraman, he doesn't appear to have lost focus, as all of the patterns still look correct. Vaughn takes it in, figuring out his next move as he walks over to the nearby wheelbarrow, moving it further down the line. We can see, just ahead, several rounded pillars have been stacked up. They certainly look like they'll eventually form a full circle around... something. Vaughn begins to form a border to the circle, adjusting the bricks around it, as he looks back at the cameraman.~

Peter Vaughn: Overall, though, I won't let other people's opinions affect me. They think they can keep throwing cannon fodder my way, believing that someone, someday, will find a way to trip me up? They're willing to keep trying. I'll just keep shredding them to pieces and removing them from the board, so that they can't bother me again. I'll keep forcing the issue, with victory after victory, until they finally say... you're deserving of that World Title shot, Peter. And won't that be a glorious day in the sun?

~Vaughn looks upwards, grinning. Of course, it's a cloudy day today, so you really can't look towards the sun that well. But the point still stands. After a second, Vaughn looks back down, glancing at all the bricks he still needs to get laid in place today. Even for an all-star athlete, it's tiring work. He turns his gaze back to the cameraman.~

Peter Vaughn: You know, there's really no reason that you can't be helping me with this. I could pay you. I'm supposed to get some help in an hour or so, but you're already here...

~The cameraman is already shaking his head no, eliciting a chuckle from Vaughn.~

Peter Vaughn: Knew that would be your response. Oh well, can't blame me for trying. Of course, now you'll have to wait and see what this looks like in the end. Just like Lyons will have to wait and see what it feels like to be a champion, because this belt is not leaving my waist until I say so. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a project to finish...

~Vaughn turns away from the cameraman, continuing to build his circular pattern, as the cameraman steps away. He tries to take in the whole area with a wide zoom, as if trying to figure out Vaughn's vision. It's almost on the tip of his tongue, as something definitely looks familiar about all this... but it'll have to wait until next time, as the camera feed finally gets shut off.~

~When we return to the feed, we now find ourselves staring at an entirely different field: The Great Ballcourt of Chichen Itza in the Yucatan, Mexico. It's always an impressive sight, although to hear the grunts from nearby, it doesn't seem to have made an impact on some people. The camera turns, showing us Peter Vaughn standing there, studying the area with his arms crossed.~

Peter Vaughn: What a waste of space. This area could have been used for so many projects.

~Vaughn shakes his head, before turning away towards where a tour guide is apparently explaining some of the historic aspects of the area.~

Tour Guide: ... and the goal of some of the games here would ultimately be the player earning enough points so that he could lay claim to the "Home of the Gods"! Truly an amazing reward to fight for!

Tourist: Is it true they used to decide matters of law here, deciding if a person is guilty by having them compete?

Tour Guide: Well, there are some historians who believe that is true, although it's hard to say whether it's been confirmed or not.

Tourist: And didn't they build in a version of their calendars into the gaming area? I heard you could find it if you looked hard enough...

Tour Guide: Some of the details have been lost over the generations, of course, but yes, there are ways to view the Mayan Calendar from higher up, which is an astounding achievement...

Peter Vaughn: Hey, what about them playing their sports with the severed heads of their enemies? Any truth to that one?

~Everyone turns and looks at Vaughn, who simply shrugs, not ashamed at all to ask the question. The tour guide coughs for a moment, clearly annoyed by this one coming up yet again.~

Tour Guide: No. There is categorically no evidence at all that they did that. It's a stereotype created by people wanting them to seem more savage in their stories. There were NO severed heads used.

Peter Vaughn: Yeah, I figured as much. It really wouldn't be practical, using a head. It's too unbalanced and shaped wrong. A ball would definitely work a lot better. Plus, there's the stickiness factor...

Tour Guide: ... Yes. Now if you'll come with me, let's head to the Temple of Jaguars. There's much more to see there.

~The tour guide quickly heads off, wanting to get his tour back on track after a momentary distraction. Vaughn, for his part, stays a little longer, considering the round structures up above, meant for the ball to be tossed through. He nods.~

Peter Vaughn: Clearly too small for a head, as well. Then again, maybe they pulled out goalposts when the heads were used. Who knows, right?

~Vaughn then turns and walks off, leaving the tour behind. He's got better things to do with his time, after all. It's doubtful the tour guide will even care that he left, after that last question. We follow Vaughn as he pulls out his satellite phone, making a quick press of the automatic dialer. There's only one person who will answer, anyway.~

Sadie Anderson: Hello? Peter, is that you?

Peter Vaughn: Hey, Sadie. Just wanted to check in really quick. Things are looking good for my title defense here in Mexico. It's going to be a blast, I'm sure.

Sadie Anderson: It always seems to be with you. Well, things are looking up here at the PMV Ranch now that we've got a few extra hands working here. Are you going to be back more often once this tour is over?

Peter Vaughn: Definitely so, Sadie. I've got some ideas I want to implement. In fact, I'm going to be checking on one of those ideas this afternoon with some local guides. I'm going to get a first-hand look at something that could change our future farming needs.

Sadie Anderson: "Farming"? But... we really don't have any farming areas at the moment, just livestock...

Peter Vaughn: You always have to think towards the future, Sadie, and we've got plenty of acres to work with. If this works out, we might really give the PMV Ranch back in Texas a major leg up over our competition. After all, what if we were also raising our own food for the livestock to eat?

Sadie Anderson: I guess I see what you're talking about, Peter, but... what you're going to do today, is it dangerous?

~Vaughn hesitates, not wanting to get caught in another lie around his head ranch hand. She always seems to sniff it out. Really, she knows Vaughn better than almost anyone else in the world, not that Vaughn would ever fully notice. She certainly takes note of his silence.~

Sadie Anderson: You just make sure you come back to us in one piece, Peter, you understand?

Peter Vaughn: Of course, of course. I mean, it's only a short hike into a tropical rainforest, what could go wrong?

Sadie Anderson: A tropical what? Peter!

Peter Vaughn: Gotta go, talk to you later.

~Vaughn quickly cuts off any response, as he turns off the satellite phone and puts it back in his pack. He then walks off, waving to the two men waiting for him, as the picture cuts out.~

Does it feel good to get "ahead", Edds?

Seriously, I'm asking. I mean, you must have gone out to celebrate, right? After that victory over Jaycee MacDonald to win this title shot? I mean, you probably should be ecstatic, I'm not going to lie about it. It's a big win, earning a #1 Contendership, in any company, especially your first one.

Now, sure, a lot of people are saying that I, as the special guest referee, chose you to win, since you were the lesser threat. But I'm here to tell you that those people don't know what they're talking about. I honestly never even bothered to compare you or Mickey D over there. I called that match down the middle, because I didn't care who won. And yes, some of my counts were slower than others, but damn it, you try being a referee in a surprise pool match. It really isn't easy.

You have to slap the water JUST right to make that count. And checking to see if the shoulders are up? Damn near impossible.

So, anyways, you ended up getting the win, earning an opportunity by beating a guy who's not done much of anything in SCW. Before that, you got your debut win, beating a...  Rodrigo Afonso? I don't have a clue about that guy, either. Really, Lyons, you've been gifted a couple of easy matches to start out with, from what I can see. You haven't had that true test yet, that will determine whether you're going to be a huge superstar or a huge blundering bust for this company.

But consider that test set in stone at Violent Conduct IX.

You see, Edward, I'm basically the hottest talent in Sin City at the moment. I'm the one the top champions are ducking away from, hoping that I'll stay in my division, praying that I won't be gunning for their throats. It's only a matter of time before I slam this Roulette Championship against one of their heads, knocking their spit into the fourth row. And, well, Edds, to keep up that momentum... I'm going to have to make an example of you.

I'm actually sorry about that, believe it or not.

I know what it's like to come into a fed and want that immediate gratification, only to get denied and sent to the back of the line. It's a disappointing experience. But I'm afraid that's your future, Eddy. Well, that's after a lot of pain and suffering, too. But I have faith that you'll be able to bounce back. You won't crack after a single bludgeoning, will you, Ed? I hope not... although I HAVE ended careers before.

Never my goal, but always a milestone to add to the list.

Do you think that could happen, Eddie? Your third match in SCW, and it ends up being your last? I mean, I don't control the wheel... it makes up its own mind on how we're fighting. It could easily be something so high-risk that you end up slipping up and breaking your neck upon landing. I'm sure people would still blame me, even if it's entirely your fault. They'll certainly blame me if I'm the one who snapped you down. But I'm used to blame. I've been around for a while now.

Look, Eds, you're young. You've got... enthusiasm. I get that. You probably think that you can vault over me and be this "Unbreakable Lyon" or whatever it is you're going for. But everyone I've ever faced who has called themselves "Unbreakable", "Untouchable", or "Unstoppable"... I've beaten them all. Nobody's Unbreakable, Eds. Not even me... although, to be fair, no one's been able to break me yet, so maybe I'm wrong.

I shouldn't steal your nickname, though. I'm quite satisfied as the Mechanic.

By the way, who gave you that nickname? Alex? Vincent? Victoria? Or someone else in your famous family? I mean, I doubt you came up with it by yourself. After all, you've been riding their coattails so far, I'm sure they were willing to help you out with a name, too. And don't get me wrong: nothing wrong with using your family to get you ahead. It probably got you a nice signing bonus out of the deal, in the hopes that you'll be as great as them.

The only problem is... that's a hell of a lot of pressure, boyo.

Hope that pressure doesn't break you at Violent Conduct once I defeat you. It'd be a shame for your family to lose faith in you after only one loss. I doubt they'd turn on you and call you the "black sheep" of the family once I'm done with you, really.

But it HAS happened in the past, after all...

~We rejoin Vaughn as he's making his way through a portion of rainforest, following behind an older man in front of him. There's also a younger Mayan behind, keeping up with them while carrying a pack on his shoulder. The older man is clearing the path, moving them forward. Vaughn swats at a couple of large bugs, knocking them away.~

Peter Vaughn: So this place isn't TOO much farther, is it? I mean, I'm known for going off the beaten path, but even for me this is getting ridiculous...

Older Man: Sí, señor. Está justo a la vuelta de esta curva.

~Vaughn glances behind him at the younger man, raising an eyebrow.~

Younger Man: He says we're about there, senor.

~Vaughn nods, looking pleased. He's never been one for picking up languages, one of his rare deficiencies, when you think about it. Sure enough, just around the next curve, we find an area that has been cleared of all of the tropical elements. It looks like a section that was once used for horticulture, either for food or some other reasoning. The older man signals to the side, pointing to the place where the ground slopes downwards.~

Older Man: Lo que busca está ahí abajo, señor.

Younger Man: We go down there for what you are looking for.

Peter Vaughn: About time.

~Vaughn moves ahead of the two men, making his way forward. The older guide tells the younger man something, and he stays back, working with his pack, perhaps to prepare for their stay here. The older man then follows Vaughn as he heads down into a built passageway, dug out of the ground here. Seeing that they've lost a companion, Vaughn glances back at the entrance.~

Peter Vaughn: Don't we need him? For translation purposes, at least? Why keep him above?

Older Man: Es por su propia seguridad, señor. Su madre me mataría si dejo que lo lastimen.

Peter Vaughn: ... All I got out of that was something about his mother. Oh well. Time's a-wasting.

~Vaughn turns and quickly goes deeper and deeper inside, turning on a flashlight to shine ahead of him as soon as the sunlight is gone. He takes in the construction of the walls, noting how they've been sealed in specific ways. He appears to be taking mental notes for the future.~

Peter Vaughn: So this is what they used when groundwater was hard to come by, huh? They dug out these underground reservoirs to store their rainwater? Pretty impressive, I have to give it to them. I'll have to see if something like this would work in Texas, though.

~The older man just nods, leaving it unclear whether he understands a single word of what Vaughn is saying. He just points out a few specific spots, where vents have been created to help guide the rainwater. Vaughn nods in understanding.~

Peter Vaughn: So it would all pool up down here, where they could keep it saved up in case of droughts? I like how they built it. Of course, I'm going to have to modernize the task a bit. It wouldn't do to have to use buckets to lug all the water out when we need it. I could add in a machine or two to transfer the water to the surface with a flick of a switch. It'll be fairly easy to do, really. I'm surprised they never thought of it.

~Considering the civilization Vaughn is talking about, it's kind of a stretch to berate them for not using automatic, powered systems. But Vaughn is always one to look towards the future, and he always expects everyone else to follow the same logic as he does. He stops near one constructed pillar, checking out how much wear and tear is evident. The older man steps forward, concerned.~

Older Man: Por favor, no toque, señor. No es estable.

~Although Vaughn may not speak the language, he gets the gist of it, stepping back.~

Peter Vaughn: A little concerned with how it was built, huh? Yeah, I can see that. I'd definitely reinforce the walls with steel wire or maybe some welded wire fabric.  Of course, I want to keep it cost-effective, but then, safety still needs to be a concern. Hmmm. Something to think about. Okay, let's go ahead and go back...

~As Vaughn turns, looking back the way they had come, there is a sudden, roaring crash just ahead of them. It almost sounds like an explosion. Quickly, a wall of dust and debris flies towards the two men, who only have time to barely duck and cover before they're consumed, blocking out the light entirely. We lose sight of everything, as soon it's completely black... and now silent.~

Sometimes the future is just unpredictable, Edds.

Of course, you should know all about that, having to compete in a Poolside Brawl without any preparation. I know you borrowed those boring swim trunks from someone. Was it the Troll? No, no, too small. And they didn't look like they'd fit any of our female competitors, so I guess that narrows down the list. Not that it matters. Congrats on finding some at the last minute.

But that was just the warm-up for our match at the Pay-Per-View, Eddie.

So far, in my time as a Roulette Champion, I've fought in Staple Gun Mania, a Ladder match, Ultimate X, and a Stretcher match. It pretty much should show you that that Roulette wheel really runs the gambit between standard and insanity, meaning that we could really be doing anything at Violent Conduct. Personally, I hope it lives up to its name, and we go further into the hardcore realms, so that I could show the Sin City audience that I'm more than just a high-flyer.

The truth is, though, that no matter what the match turns out to be... I'm going to be more experienced at it than you, kid.

Being a rookie in a contest like this, well, it's rather unfair, when you think about it. You have to be able to pull on your years spent inside the squared circle and out, putting together a winning strategy on the fly. I'll be able to draw on my extensive knowledge of all sorts of contests, from Broom Closet Brawls to Hazardous Ladder No Limits to Barbed Wire Exploding C4 matches. When it comes to my career, Ed, I've really done it all.

You? You may think you're "experienced", but watching other family members doesn't count in the long run. You have to experience the pain to appreciate it. I don't care what stories or prep work they'll tell you when you call them that morning... it won't be enough to prepare you for what you're going to have to go through.

Honestly, for your sake, I hope the wheel decides to be nice and makes it a Three Falls match or something. That would at least give you a tiny chance of hope... although you pinning me once is laughable. Twice would require God's hand to come down from the heavens to smite me down.

You good enough friends with him for that? I didn't think so.

To be the Roulette Champion, you truly have to be ready for everything. And you're too wet behind the ears to be ready for a simple Ambulance match. Actually, that'd be kind of a trip, because I don't know where the ambulance would take you from here. It could end up being a long, long trip.

My point is, Lyonel, you've really bitten off more than you can chew here. You probably shouldn't have agreed to get pushed forward so quickly, making you a mincemeat sacrifice to my Roulette Title run. But it's your bed to lie in now, and you'll have to deal with the consequences... as unpredictable as those consequences might end up being.

About the only certainty? That you will be taking the Plunge.

~With everything finally settled down, we see Vaughn smacking his flashlight a few times, working to keep it lit. It finally does so, allowing us to view him a little better as he shines the light on the tunnel they previously came down... a tunnel that has now caved in completely.~

Peter Vaughn: So... welded wire fabric it is on the beams... safety first, right? *cough cough*

~Vaughn finishes clearing out some of the dust from his throat, before turning and looking around behind him, realizing that he didn't get a response.~

Peter Vaughn: Old man? Where are you?

~The light crosses the chamber back and forth, stopping on a hand being weakly raised into the air. Vaughn hurries over, finding the older man laying there, his head cut either by the debris or by how he landed against the wall. Vaughn reaches into his pocket, pulling out a long handkerchief to press against the man's wound. The older man groans, but still holds the cloth in place, as Vaughn scans around the chamber, considering their options.~

Peter Vaughn: So... you think the Mayans ever put in multiple exits to a place like this? Maybe multiple rain-collecting tunnels that we just have to track down?

~From his vantage point, Vaughn can't see any other openings. He shines back the way they came.~

Peter Vaughn: Or maybe that young friend of yours can start digging us out? I'm sure it's not... that much rock blocking the way, right?

~A few more stones fall from the top, rolling to the ground, as if to put that statement to rest.~

Peter Vaughn: At the very least... he'll go for help, right? So people will know we're here... right?

~After a few agonizing seconds, the older man finally looks up at Vaughn with grief in his eyes.~

Older Man: Es desesperado. Vamos a morir aquí abajo.

~Vaughn considers him for a few long moments.~

Peter Vaughn: Right. No idea what you said. But I'm going to assume it was something grim and unhelpful. Alright, then. I suppose it's up to me to get us out of here. I've got multiple title matches on my schedule, after all. Nobody's been able to keep me down yet, I'm certainly not going to let this damn place do it. So... where to start?

~As Vaughn turns back and forth, considering his options, the flashlight flickers again... and then goes out. We're back in complete darkness.~

Older Man: La Muerte.

Peter Vaughn: Don't even start.

~All we can hear now is Vaughn moving around, now having to search for a way out of this mess without any light to guide him... along with the quiet sobs of the older man, who now believes he has been entombed forever. We slowly fade out.~

Well... I did say to be prepared for anything. I guess I'll be putting that one to the test myself.

But don't you worry, Edz. You're not getting a cheap forfeit victory. If I have to dig my way out of here with my bare fingers, clawing my path all the way up to the surface, then that's what I'm going to do. I'll be there to fight you, Eddy. And I'll be there to end your winning streak and quickly crush the talk of you being the next great light of Sin City.

The Roulette Title stays with me.

Actually... the Roulette Title is sitting in my backpack. I figured it was a good thing to give me some extra weight, turn this hike into some good exercise. Plus, I wasn't going to leave it back at that shoddy hotel. So... I guess, either way, the Roulette Belt is staying with me.

But I'm getting out. Eventually. And I'll see you soon, Eddie. I'll see you soon.

Now where'd I put that shovel? Hmmm, wonder if the belt would work....

Offline Peter Vaughn

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
Burying The Competition, P2
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 06:05:33 PM »
~As the shot comes up, we get an aerial view from a drone of the recently refurbished lot that once held an abandoned warehouse. An incredible amount of work has been done on this location, removing all the debris and adding in grass, trees, a brick path, and what appears to be a pavilion in the center of the lot. It truly stands out, considering that there are still buildings located on either side of the lot. The drone heads lower, focusing on the still-functional parking area outside of the lot, where we see our usual cameraman piloting the drone via remote. He catches it upon his return, looking into the lens for a few seconds, a rare occurrence for us.!

Cameraman: Didn't see him once. Hmmm.

~The cameraman turns and puts the drone away inside the van, making sure it's facing out so we can still see him as he reaches around and gets his usual gear, popping it up on his shoulder. The feed immediately shifts to the hand-held camera, as the cameraman shuts the van door, making sure that it's locked. There is some expensive equipment in there, after all, given to him by Sin City Wrestling. Losing it would be a pretty severe shot to his paycheck, that's for sure. He turns and walks towards the lot, taking in the newly-hoisted entrance gate. It's not locked, so the cameraman swings it open and steps inside, looking around.~

Cameraman: Vaughn? You in here?

~The cameraman pans around in confusion, as it's never been hard to track down Vaughn before. After a few moments, we can hear the cameraman triggering his cell phone.~

Cameraman: Hey, I'm here at the site at the usual time, but I don't know where Peter Vaughn is. No, he didn't leave me any messages. Have you heard from him recently? ... That's strange. Yes, I know I'm supposed to get some content from him... wait, how is it MY fault if he's not here? Well, can't we just use old footage that never aired? ... No, you're right. Okay. OKAY! I'll look around some more. Hey, I'm not getting blamed for... hello?

~The phone call clearly disconnected, and not on the cameraman's end, either. A few choice curse words are conveniently bleeped out, although you DO hear something about someone's mother. After that, the cameraman starts into the lot, opting to take the brick path that Vaughn recently got laid down.~

Cameraman: You better be in here somewhere, Vaughn... or you'd better have a good reason for no-showing me...

~The cameraman moves off, heading down the red-bricked road, with no intentions of finding a scarecrow, a tin man, or a cowardly lion. He just wants a champion. We fade out, with the question left for everyone to ponder: where is Peter Vaughn?~

~After the quick cutaway, we find ourselves... seemingly in the backstage area of an arena, from the looks of things. It's hard to differentiate exactly which one, as Sin City has made the journey to so many over the years. They all tend to blend together over time. The picture moves along the hallway, making its way around a corner to the right, where we see a very familiar individual standing with his back against the wall. Mac Bane, the former SCW World Heavyweight Champion, takes a long drink from one of his favorite beverages, letting out a satisfied sigh right afterwards. The sound of footsteps reaches his ears, causing Bane to push off the wall and straighten up, turning to his left. That's where he comes face-to-face with the current SCW Roulette Champion, Peter Vaughn.~

Mac Bane: Peter.

Peter Vaughn: Mac.

~The two men consider each other, both in friendly and competitive ways. They've fought multiple times for titles before, neither backing down from the challenge, but they've also allied up on more than one occasion, including most recently in the Saviors of SCW. After a few seconds, Bane gives Vaughn a nod.~

Mac Bane: How have you been doing, Pete?

Peter Vaughn: Could be better, could be worse. I've had a lot of stuff weighing me down lately, keeping me grounded. I'm trying to work through some solutions, but it's been... difficult.

Mac Bane: Talk to me. Maybe I can help.

~Vaughn puts a hand on the wall, taking a moment to think things through.~

Peter Vaughn: I think it has to do with my future in SCW, Mac. You know I joined this company mainly as a favor for you. I also thought I'd get a match with Matt Knox, but that never happened. Since then, I seem to have gotten into a rut. The only competition that keeps coming for me is the guys who should be thinking about retirement and the guys still shaking off their training diapers.

Mac Bane: And you've shown them how good you are by keeping that Roulette Championship.

~Bane points down at Vaughn's title, which is around his waist. Strange, as it wasn't there before... or maybe it was, and we just didn't notice it. Either way, Vaughn pats it, showing his love for the gold.~

Peter Vaughn: I'm proud of this championship, don't get me wrong. I'd love to beat Griffin Hawkins' 190-day run. I'm already at 108 days, so it's certainly possible. But I can't help but wonder, am I just treading water? Should I get more serious about moving forward towards the top of the wrestling world and aim for that World Championship, just as Goth is?

Mac Bane: You threatened by Goth, your own teammate in the Saviors?

Peter Vaughn: No, no, of course not. I respect Goth, you know that. He's done a lot in SCW, he deserves everything coming to him. I just... I feel like I need to start breaking through, you know?

~Bane nods knowingly, before stepping forward towards Vaughn, looking him dead in the eye.~

Mac Bane: You're right, Pete. You need to start pushing yourself more. You've only got a little time left.

Peter Vaughn: Well, I don't know about that, I'm still working in my prime right now...

~Bane shoves Vaughn back against the wall, surprising him.~

Mac Bane: You're going to need to focus, Pete! You need to find that intensity that made you a six-time World Champion, and you must channel that intensity into your future if you want to be the best!

Peter Vaughn: I haven't lost that, Mac, you know that...

Mac Bane: You're dreaming if you think you haven't lost something. Now get yourself up. Now.

Peter Vaughn: What do you...

Mac Bane: WAKE UP, VAUGHN!! NOW!!!

~Bane then rears back, swinging straight at Vaughn's face. He instinctively tries to duck out of the way...~

~... and wakes up, banging his head against the edge of the dark wall behind him. He winces, rubbing his head. The camera shot has changed dramatically, as we now are watching Vaughn through a night-vision shot. If you think he looks creepy in normal light, you probably won't see this as much of an improvement. Vaughn sits up, suddenly realizing that water is splashing around him. He quickly gets back to his feet.~

Peter Vaughn: Right... the underground reservoir collapsed, trapping us in here. And of COURSE it must be raining outside. Hey, old man? You still around here? Old man?

~Vaughn reaches into his pocket, feeling around, and manages to find an old lighter that the old man had given him earlier. He flicks it a few times, finally getting a flame to appear, and turns to his left. Nothing. He turns to the right... and the old man is right there, looking at him.~

Peter Vaughn: Geez! Man, why didn't you say anything?

~The man just shrugs.~

Older Man: La Muerte.

Peter Vaughn: I told you, we're NOT going to die down here! I've had too much success lately to end up a mythical disappearing act for those YouTube crime videos to talk about. Now, c'mon. I'm curious as to where, exactly, this water is coming from.

~Vaughn starts walking down the reservoir, with the old man sullenly stepping in line behind him. It's clear he's already given up hope. Vaughn, though? He's just getting started.~

You never know what can motivate you to be a survivor, an achiever... a winner.

I've had plenty of motivations push me through life. I've had the fact that I lived up poor under a single custodian father push me to fight for greatness as I got older. I've had positive reinforcement from men like The Accelerator, may he rest in peace, and negative reinforcement like my former manager, Jonathan Barrows. I've fought for respect, I've fought for money, and I've fought for power.

I must admit, though, I don't think I've ever been motivated by a Twitter post.

Sorry, an X post. Damn, I hate that name.

So, Edds, let me get this straight. You're mad at me because I said I would be lenient as the referee in your match against Jaycee? Did you want me to come in saying that if I see you put a single toe out of line, I'd disqualify you and steal away your opportunity for a championship match? Would that have made you feel better? It's not like it mattered anyway.

You should come to understand that for Roulette matches, the referee is rarely that much of a factor. Sure, there are a few styles of match where he or she will still be needed to make the count for the pinfall or decide on the submission. But for the majority of the matches I've had, the referee has just been there to raise the hand of the winner, aka me.

Now, I could have come into my position as referee and immediately attacked someone, say, yourself, and decided the winner. Then again, when special refs do maneuvers like that, they usually end up in a triple threat, so it made zero sense for me to get involved that way. Instead, I did what I said I was going to do. I didn't get too involved, I stayed lenient, and you got the victory.

If that hurts your honor with the mere thought of you bending a rule, well, you've got a lot to learn about the wrestling business.

You see, Eddie, in my career, I've done a lot of wild things to win. I've used tranquilizer guns. I've used a rigged doorway that sent 30,000 volts into my opponent. I've used duct tape to its fullest potential. I've set my opponents up and sent them spiraling down, with one awe-inspiring plan after another. But I have to admit, that hasn't rang as true in Sin City, ironically enough.

Here, Edz, I've mostly got the victories by simply... winning the match. Odds are, that's all I'm going to need for a wet behind the ears rookie like you, too.

I mean, I'll do what's allowed, depending on the match type that's chosen. If there are no rules, there are none to break. It's not like I have any personal code of honor holding me back from doing what needs to be done... like certain other wrestlers. So do you have it in you, I wonder, Eds? To take that step into the unknown, and take the fight to me with anything and everything at your disposal?

Or will your motivation to be honorable supersede your motivation to be a winner?

Time will tell, I suppose.

~Lighter in hand, Vaughn moves down the side of the wall, checking regularly for any streams of water. He begins to find them, poking through vents hidden in the decorations left behind by the Mayans. It shouldn't be that big a surprise that some of the mouths on the wall are the ones where the vents are.~

Peter Vaughn: Nobody can resist a vomiting water sight gag, I suppose.

~The water's beginning to rise in the reservoir, as it's doing exactly what it's intended to do: store water for the future needs of a civilization. It's the main reason Vaughn came here, as he wanted to see the techniques used, and get a feel for what would work for him back on his PMV Ranch in Texas. Unfortunately, after a cave-in, Vaughn has been getting a much closer view of the workings of the reservoir than he was ever wanting. He studies the carvings on the wall, considering them more closely.~

Peter Vaughn: Interesting, how they loop the figures around the way they do. Could that mean something, old-timer? Do you think this could signal some way for us to get out of here?

~Vaughn looks back at the older man, who is just shaking his head.~

Older Man: Voy a morir aquí abajo con este americano ignorante. Ni siquiera me pagó.

~The older man wanders off, stepping through the rising water, as Vaughn glares at him.~

Peter Vaughn: I caught that part. "Ignorant American", indeed. YOU'RE the one who said we could go here!!

~There's no response, as the man keeps moving away, apparently not wanting to die next to the man he blames for this. Annoyed, Vaughn turns back to the carvings.~

Peter Vaughn: Fine. You go your way, I'll go mine. There's got to be a back door. There's always a back door in these places. I just have to figure it out. Let's see...

~Vaughn begins tracing his hand around the seams, checking for any levers or pulleys. Suddenly, though, he looks back at the seams.~

Peter Vaughn: Wait... why are there grooves here? It's not just a pattern, is it?

~He readjusts his one hand in the seam, trying to see if the circular pattern there moves. It does, just a touch. Vaughn grins, shifting his other hand over to help... only to have the lighter go out. There are several moments of frantic sparks, before Vaughn manages to get the lighter going again. He breathes a sigh of relief, before considering his options.~

Peter Vaughn: I'm going to need some strength to get this twister moving... but I can't do it in the dark. Damn it. Hey, old-timer! OLD-TIMER!! Get back over here, I need your help!

~The only sound is a muttered Spanish curse word in the distance. Vaughn answers with one of his own.~

Peter Vaughn: Son of a bitch... I knew I needed to follow through on that Babbel learning course Sadie wanted me to take...

~With no other choice, Vaughn starts to push through the water after the old-timer, trying to make sure to keep the lighter above the streams still coming in. It must be some storm outside. We cut away once again.~

~The shot switches to a window frame back in Texas. In a strange coincidence, it also appears to be raining there, as Sadie Anderson, Vaughn's #1 ranch hand (and secret flame) stares outwards at the weather. She's holding her cell phone, waiting, but the ringing just continues on the other end for a few more times before ending in a disconnect, as the satellite phone user cannot be reached. She hangs up, shaking her head.~

Sadie Anderson: Damn it, Peter. You were supposed to have checked in by now. I know you trust me to take care of everything here, but I'd still like your sign-off before I act...

~Sadie turns away from the window, looking over at her laptop, where she's got a series of order forms lined up, ready to be sent off. She steps up to them, reading them over one more time.~

Sadie Anderson: Feed for the horses, check. Feed for the chickens, check. Feed for the ranch hands... hmmm, maybe I'd better order a few more sandwich bundles, the way these guys eat.

~She makes the necessary corrections, then studies everything once more. She glances over at the cell phone, then shrugs.~

Sadie Anderson: If he complains about the expenses, I'll tell him he should have called me back.

~Sadie quickly presses Send on each of the invoices, shooting them off to be filled. The PMV Ranch will get the supplies it needs to keep running. Thankfully, Sadie has full access to Vaughn's bank account, basically the only one with that privilege. She still feels guilty, though, as she jumps when her cell phone suddenly rings.~

Sadie Anderson: Oh, NOW he calls back!

~Mumbling to herself about the necessity of her actions, she steps over and answers the call, noting the different country code.~

Sadie Anderson: Hello, Peter? Oh, sorry. This is Sadie, yes. Oh, you're the guide who was taking Vaughn to... wait, what? WHAT?? He's trapped?? With your father??

~Sadie looks extremely concerned, pacing in front of her desk as she thinks things over.~

Sadie Anderson: Have you gotten anyone to go out there yet and try and dig them out? Okay, look, I know a wrestling organization that's there, they've got some pretty strong guys and gals who can probably help. Let me get in touch with Sin City and get back to you. If you can find someone else with equipment that can reach there... no, I realize it's pretty far from the main city. We'll find a way. This number works to call you? Okay, I'll call you back.

~The phone hangs up, with Sadie hurrying over to her computer to find the contact information for various members of the Saviors, knowing that one of them will be able to help, in some way or fashion. As she searches, she curses to herself.~

Sadie Anderson: Damn it, Peter, I told you this wasn't worth it!

~As Sadie begins to work the phone calls, we jump away again.~

Isn't it great to have someone worried about you?

I guess your family probably fulfills that need for you, Edds. You're lucky in that regard. I'm estranged from my mother. My father is dead. I rarely talk to my half-sister, and as for my half-brother, well, I guess I'm lucky he's still alive at this point. With no signs of a family of my own coming in the future, I'm what you would probably call a loner.

I guess, in some ways, I envy you for that, Eddie.

I mean, yeah, you need to release the strings binding you to them a little, work on establishing your own identity separate from the Lyons estate. But at least you've got them to back you up. Me? I have the Saviors, and I have my ranch. Now, will the Saviors play a part at the pay-per-view, do you think? Could Mac or the Troll make an appearance and shake things up?

Yeah, probably not. They haven't had much to do with my Roulette Title reign to this point, I don't see them starting now.

But the truth is, I haven't needed them to continue my winning ways, Eddy. I don't have to lean on them for major support, or cry to them on the phone when someone gives me a boo-boo. Okay, I'm mocking you a little, but I can't help it. I see your potential, Eds, really, I do, but if you keep sticking to your family's notions of honor before glory, well, you may never reach the glory section. You may always be stranded down there as the lesser Lyon, and that would suck.

But if you could find a way to loosen those restrictions and fight me with everything available, hey, you might still become something great in Sin City. And you see, that's what you should see as being on the line: your future. Sure, you may think that you have nothing to lose here, and it's true, people have rebounded from getting their ass kicked by the Mechanic, no question. But there have also been some wrestlers who were touted as the future who never recovered from the 'humiliation' of losing to a former janitor.

You'd think enough of them had fallen by now that it'd be a badge of honor, but I still hear people say a loss to me is a disgrace. Funny, huh?

So yes, Lyonel, you have a lot to lose at Violent Conduct. You could lose the respect you've earned. You could lose your "Unbreakable" status. You could lose the feeling in your fingers and toes if I end up hitting you just right. Paralysis is never out of the question, especially with some of the maneuvers I'm known to do.  Let's see, what else? You'd lose a portion of your paycheck, taking the defeat, but then, you seem like a trust-fund baby, so that may not bother you that much.

Still, though, whether you want to admit it or not, you truly do have a lot on the line for our match. If you come in acting like it doesn't matter if you lose... well, you may end up badly regretting it once I'm done with you. Because if I decide your heart isn't in our fight, and you're just there to "put in an appearance", well, I may just have to embarrass you. I might have to wash the mat with your face, slap the hell out of that 'pretty' face of yours, and maybe cut off some that beard on your chinny-chin chin.

You look like you could use a shave.

But it's all about how I'm feeling that night, Edds. I could keep it on the up-and-up, and we have ourselves a hell of a fight that threatens to steal the show. Or I could make it a mockery of your entire career.

Think your family is going to be watching, worried for you?

~The picture comes back inside the reservoir, where the rainwater appears to still be rising. Vaughn, though, has more important things on his mind, dragging a weakly-fighting old man back down the short corrider where the chamber is.~

Peter Vaughn: Stop struggling!! This could be our way out, and I need your help!!

Older Man: ¡Me va a ahogar! ¡Demonio! ¡El esta loco!

~The older man tries to break away again, but Vaughn just shoves him hard against the wall, pinning him there. He then holds him with one hand, before bringing up the lighter in his other hand, catching the man's eyes. Vaughn waves it in front of him, with the man wincing, expecting to be burned. But Vaughn just puts it into the man's hand, then points at the wall.~

Peter Vaughn: You hold! I'll lift! Got it?

~While not looking convinced, the older man does seem a little more confident with the flickering lighter in his hand. He lifts it up, trying to figure out what Vaughn has in mind. Vaughn, though, doesn't wait. He reaches down and starts working around the grooves once again, trying to get them rotating in the right direction. After a few stubborn seconds, it begins to move, with it creaking as Vaughn pushes the circle around. Confused, the older man steps in a little closer... and then his eyes widen, as he realizes what's about to happen.~

Older Man: ¡Espera, idiota! Tú vas a...

~Before anything else can be said, Vaughn manages to turn the grooves enough that a portion of them open up, popping loose. Unfortunately, it's less like a door and more like a seal, as the portion flies backwards, knocking Vaughn into the water... as a wave comes flooding through the now-opened passageway! The older man shouts in terror at the increase in water flow, raising them up closer to the ceiling now. Vaughn breaks the surface, coughing for a second before taking everything in. We're back to night vision, since the lighter was put out by the flood, but Vaughn can at least make out the opening.~

Peter Vaughn: Well... that explains how there's so much water. Extra tunnels, right?

~The older man doesn't say anything, probably thinking about Death once more. He starts to swim away, but Vaughn grabs him, dragging him towards the opening.~

Peter Vaughn: Sorry, old-timer, but I'd probably face legal charges if I let you drown here, and I've got a career to worry about. This may not be ideal, but this new tunnel goes upwards, which is what we're needing. Let's see where it goes!

~They begin climbing up the tunnel, which appears to be in very poor shape. It was clearly less maintained than the original reservoir. Still, the two seem to be making progress, pulling themselves up, even as the passage continues to get narrower and narrower...~

It's too bad there was already a swimming pool match recently. I'm getting myself plenty of practice in the water.

But then, that's what it is all about, isn't it, Lyons? "Practice". As in, you need more of it to be a truly great wrestler. Nobody can step right into the middle of the three-ring circus and take it over on the first day. You have to start out slow, probably as one of the clowns. Or maybe one of the sweepers after the show, because the animals are always leaving some fecal matter behind.

You have to work your way up the ladder. You can't take shortcuts. You can't fly to the top, because as Icarus showed, you can get burned that way.

So you may have earned this title shot, Edds, and you may think that this is going to be your big first moment, but I'm going to be doing you a favor. I'm going to kick you back down the steps, let you get a taste of defeat, and see how it sits with you. We'll see if a man from the famous Lyons Den is able to cope with the loss or not. Because you will take losses, my friend, oh yes, you will take losses.

It happens to the best of us, and you're not in that category yet.

Now, maybe in the future, when I'm ready to take my next leap upwards, you'll get another shot at this championship. Maybe getting your face stomped in by me now will lead to you being a better contender in the future, knowing more about what's needed to get the victory. Hey, maybe you'll even thank me in the long run.

Doubtful, I know, but there's still a chance.

Just take what lessons you can from this, Edz. Try and think of it as a growing experience, even if it's painful. Even if you find yourself wanting to tap out and run away. Hang in there, kitty cat. You'll survive, I'm fairly sure.

Nobody's died yet from taking the Plunge.

Good luck, boyo. You're going to need it.

~We now find ourselves outside in the jungle area, nearby where the collapse originally happened. We can hear noise through the rainstorm, coming closer, as flashlights can be seen. A vehicle manages to push through the trees, a smaller crane with a hook added on for effect. Walking behind it, we can see the younger man from earlier, nervously leading a small crew of men towards the collapsed reservoir. They get close, with the younger man pointing out where it happened. A leader steps forward, pointing that way. He speaks in a slightly English accent, showing he's a foreigner to these lands.~

Leader: Okay, men, we need to try and dig our way down. Hopefully this doesn't go too far in... because if it does, well, the odds are low that we'll find anyone alive. So lets get to work!

~As the men start to step forward, ready to work, there's a sudden whistling noise over from the right. The group turns, looking around, to see a hand sticking up out of the ground! It waves back and forth, getting their attention.~

Leader: What on earth??

~The leader hurries forward, along with the younger man. They pull away some rocks, finding a small vent in the ground designed to collect the rainwater. Inside, staring out at them, we can see Peter Vaughn. He smiles at them.~

Peter Vaughn: Good to see you guys. Guess they called in the calvary? Well, we need...

Older Man: Mijo!

Younger Man: Papa!

~The older man shoves Vaughn out of the way, sending him falling back into the water and sliding down the tunnel some, as he reaches through to grasp his son's hand. The two share a bonding moment, each glad to see the other still alive. Vaughn, meanwhile, gets himself up and grumpily comes back up, looking around them through the narrow opening, too narrow for anyone to squeeze through.~

Peter Vaughn: Could you just open this, please? I'd like to get out of here...

Leader: Right away. Shovels, men! Everyone stand back!

~Vaughn has to pull the older man back, out of harm's way, so that the crew can work on widening the hole leading to the tunnel. After a few minutes, it's cleared out enough that both men can squeeze out, earning a cheer from the workers. They're obviously overjoyed to not only finding people alive, but finding them in record time. The leader gives Vaughn a pat on the shoulders, with Vaughn nodding his thanks to him. He then turns, handing a soggy envelope to the older man.~

Peter Vaughn: Your pay. I should probably dock you for almost killing me, but I'm a fair man.

~The older man takes the envelope, looking inside it. He then locks eyes with Vaughn. He raises three fingers.~

Peter Vaughn: You... you want triple the fee? You SAID this place was safe enough to look at!! This was all your fault!

~The older man keeps his three fingers up, even as the younger man, his son, moves in next to him to give him another hug. Seeing this, Vaughn scowls, before reaching back into his bag.~

Peter Vaughn: I'll see what I can do... damn it...

~As Vaughn searches for money, we slowly fade away, leaving the scene of the near disaster. Thankfully, everything seems to have worked out.~

~When we next come up, we're once again back inside the transformed lot somewhere in Dallas, Texas. The cameraman has continued moving, making his way towards the center of the mini-labyrinth of trees and grassy knolls. He gets to the pavilion in the center, focusing the camera on the figure sitting inside, drinking from a glass.~

Cameraman: THERE you are! I've been searching for you everywhere, Vaughn!

~Vaughn sits up, glancing over at the man, before taking another sip from his drink. It's hard to tell exactly what it is. The color could be an expensive chardonnay... or a fruit drink. Impossible to tell without tasting it. Either way, Vaughn sets it to the side before getting to his feet, doing a quick stretch.~

Peter Vaughn: You should try having to wait here for an hour with nothing else to do but drink and relax. It's boring as hell. But I'm glad you finally made it in here, my man. So, what'd you think of my little creation?

Cameraman: It looks very familiar...

Peter Vaughn: Oh, it's my own design, I assure you. I might have... borrowed from a few other places, but it's built the way I wanted it. I call it... the Garden of Betrayal. What do you think? Cool name?

~The cameraman turns, looking around in each direction, getting shots of the trees, the trellis, the paths, and the pavilion. He shakes his head in shock, amazed that he didn't see it before.~

Cameraman: Is this... from the Game of Thrones??

Peter Vaughn: Nope. It's all my idea.

Cameraman: But... the way that path leads to here...

Peter Vaughn: Similarities are coincidental. Trust me. All that you need to know is that, for the coming future, we're going to be having all of our initial interviews here... and we'll see if I can convince some other wrestlers to make the trip here as well.

Cameraman: If they're smart, they'll stay away... I've seen what happens in a place like this...

~Vaughn steps forward, staring intently at the cameraman, who backs away slightly.~

Peter Vaughn: Don't make assumptions. Now, since you're here, carry a message for me, will you? Tell that Eddie Lyons to prepare for a hell of a war. It will be a battle not seen since dragons once ruled the earth. And in the end, when I'm triumphant and keeping my seat at the head of the table, he'll need to prepare for a new blemish in his family line. In this game, he stands no chance.

Cameraman: Seriously, how did I not see the Game of Thrones references?

Peter Vaughn: That's on you, boyo. Now, be off. I've got some more contemplation to take care of.

Cameraman: ... It took me 20 minutes to get here lugging this camera.

Peter Vaughn: Leave me. I need to prepare for the battles ahead.

~Vaughn turns his back, sitting away from the cameraman, who appears to consider a Red Wedding possibility before turning and departing, grumbling all the way at the lack of footage. He turns back once more, giving us a shot of Vaughn sitting inside his newly constructed sanctuary, with his eyes shut and a smile on his face. We fade out.~

Offline TheLyonsDen

• View Profile
Re: PETER VAUGHN (c) v EDDIE LYONS - ROULETTE CHAMPIONSHIP
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 04:39:25 AM »
The trip home was helpful to clear his mind, and get Eddie motivated, he could feel the Roulette Championship within his grasp, but he was up against a big challenge in Peter Vaughn, and he had come to accept that even if he lost, as long as he showed some grit, and came with his fighting spirit, he could still come out better than he was before and he would do it by staying true to himself and not compromising his beliefs, because that is what made him Unbreakable, he could be beaten and broken as much as any man, but it was his spirit that would never be broken.

_____
3:12 PM On A Tuesday
Somewhere In the Skies
Yucatan Mexico
Off-Camera

“HERE’S YOUR WINNER AND STILL THE SCW ROULETTE CHAMPION, PETER VAUGHN!!!”

The words echo in Eddies head as Justin Decent makes the announcement

Jason Adams: Eddie fought hard, but it wasn’t enough tonight, as Vaughn continues his reign as Roulette Champion, but this kid is still someone for SCW to watch out for.

Belinda Simone: Well, we’ll have to see what the future holds for Lyons….

The sounds of the ringbell started to change to a beeping noise, and suddenly Eddie awoke, on an airplane. The seatbelt light was on, and as Eddie rubbed his eyes he heard the stewardess on the intercom.

“The plane is landing, please fasten your seatbelts, and return your seat to it’s full upright position. Make sure your tray table up, and enjoy the rest of your flight.”

Still slightly groggy, Eddie did as told, as the voice came on again moments later in Spanish.

“El avión está aterrizando, por favor abróchense los cinturones de seguridad y regresen su asiento a su posición completamente vertical. Asegúrese de que su bandeja esté levantada y disfrute el resto de su vuelo.“

As his plane began it’s descent into Mexico, Eddie thought about his future. He was heading into the biggest match of his young career, and knew all he had to do was impress. Just show he belonged in SCW. Show that he can go head to head with a champion, and walk out with his head held high no matter the result. He knew he wasn’t the favorite to win and he was okay with that, he knew what his true goals were. Even still, what if he did prove everyone wrong, and what if he did walk out a champion this early into his career? That would go a long way in making a name for himself.

As he thought about what it would mean to be a champion, he knew how tough it would be, especially for him. A young rookie winning a championship so early would have a lot to prove as to not be seen as a fluke, and the unpredictable nature of the Roulette Championship made that even more difficult. In some ways the Roulette Championship was the hardest to defend because you never knew what you were up against.  Eddie could wrestle, and he wasn’t worried about his ability in that field. But this was the Roulette Championship, and that came with many things Eddie knew he wasn’t good at and some he knew he was,.

He couldn’t dance or sing. He was pretty good at trivia and was known to cook a pretty damn good chili. He was bad at video games but good at cards and board games, other than chess. The whole concept of this championship still confused Eddie, but he wasn’t the type to turn away any opportunity and he wasn’t going to roll over and die, if this was where his destiny was leading him, then he had to follow along the path it was leading him.

SCW. Peter Vaughn. The Roulette Championship. This was where his SCW  career truly began. Eddie had turned some heads in his first couple matches, but this was the one that was his true test to see if he really had what it takes to wrestle in SCW. He needed to show he belonged, and it wasn’t a mistake for him to be given this opportunity, and maybe…just maybe he could walk out as a champion.

The sound of the intercom interrupted his thoughts again.

“The plane has landed, please remain in your seats until the plane comes to a complete stop,and thank you for flying with us.”

As expected, it came again for the Spanish speaking passengers.

“El avión ha aterrizado, permanezcan en sus asientos hasta que el avión se detenga por completo y gracias por volar con nosotros.”

Once the plane had fully stopped, people began getting their things out fo overhead compartments. All Eddie had was his travel bag with his gear and the basic essentials, which he slung over his shoulder as he made his exit off the plane, his thoughts still focused and ready for his championship match, win or lose Peter Vaughn was going to be in for one helluva fight.

_____
11:19  AM On A Wednesday
Chichen Itza
Yucatan Mexico
Off-Camera

Eddie looked at the great pyramid at Chichen Itza in awe, it was a real mystery how the ancient Mayans built such an amazing structure. Eddie thought them to be fascinating people, and the whole of Chichen Itza really did deserve it’s world wonder status. It was hard to believe he was even here, as jut a few months ago he was just another student of The Lyons Den, and now he was a graduate, starting a career of his own. He had become so focused on the wrestling aspect, he hadn’t stopped to think about the travel. He was getting to see things many people never would, so he had to be sure to take the time to appreciate all that was being offered to him now.

He still of course had his match on mind, which would happen here in the ball court in a few days, and like the warriors of old, Eddie would come for a fight. He didn’t like Peter Vaughn much but he didn’t hate him, he just felt a little sad for him, as he saw Peter as a guy who turned his back on his principles, and became something he wasn’t. He got involved with the wrong people and they turned him from the loveable janitor, to the arrogant man he is today.

He wanted to help, maybe make Peter see the light again but perhaps those days were long past and even moreso, it was none of his business. He knew what his own values were and he would never compromise them. He had to focus on himself, focus on Eddie Lyons and making sure at the end of the day that people remembered him. He wanted people as they left for their hotels and homes later that night to think “I need to see more of Eddie Lyons.”

And he would, he would give them a show to remember. He would give Peter Vaughn a fight to remember and win or lose he would still push forward and continue to climb the ladder on his goal to becoming one of the very best, and someone that people could respect.

“Excuse me sir?” a young male voice said to him, as Eddie snapped out of his daydream, Eddie turned to see some kid, about 14 years old.

“Are you Eddie Lyons?” the kid asked.

“I am.” replied Eddie

“Wow!”  the kid smiled, “I’m a big fan of SCW, and you’re one of my favorite new superstars. I hope you kick Peter Vaughns butt this weekend. I’m tired of him holding that championship.”

“Well, I’ll do my best.” said Eddie, feeling slightly uncomfortable as he wasn’t used to being recognized, but being in the same area as where the show was to take place, there was sure to be some fans milling about.

“I’ll be rooting for you.”  replied the kid.

“What’s your name friend?” asked Eddie, this was how you did this sort of thing right?.

“Domingo.” the kid replied.

“You speak pretty good English Domingo.” said Eddie

“My mom helped me, she was born in America and moved back home as an adult. She gave me books that helped me too.” Domingo replied

“Well, that’s very good, your mother sounds like a wonderful woman.” Eddie said, Tell me, who’s your favorite SCW superstar?”

“Miles Kasey!” Domingo replied

“Miles is a pretty good guy from what I gather.” said Eddie, “I’d say he’s a good pick.”

Eddie hadn’t expected the kid to say his name, he had still only arrived, he clearly wouldn’ be anyone's FAVORITE, but the kid did say he was one of his favorite new arrivals, which meant fans were taking notice, and were at least curious.

“Can I get a picture?” Domingo asked, politely.

“Of course.”
said Eddie, as he got in frame for a selfie with the kid, the pyramid looming over them in the background.

*click*

“Thanks!” said Domingo, “I..I should probably go. My moms probably looking for me.”

“Of course, just don’t forget to cheer me on this Sunday” said Eddie to the to the young fan, “Your support will help me summon what I need to really, as you put it…kick Vaughns butt.”

“You got it!” said Domingo, before running off to catch back up with his mother

Well, that was awkward, but he felt he did at least provide a pleasant experience for the fan,  as awkward as it made him feel He would have to get used to this sort of thing. The bigger he got, the more times this would happen. He saw it happen with his friend Cleo Phillips as she rose to the top of PWS. One fan was okay, but he wasn’t sure how he might handle a large group of fans, or even a rude one.

Suppose he did win the Roulette Championship, that would raise his stock and put a ton of eyes on Eddie. He would have to figure out how to handle possible swarms of fans waiting for him at airports,  even if he didn’t win and just turned some more heads he would have to deal with his rising fame, as he started to become more recognizable. One day at a time though, for now, it was time to focus on Peter Vaughn.

_____
4:19 PM On A Wednesday
Some Old Lion Statue
Yucatan Mexico
On-Camera

The SCW cameras open on Eddie in what looks to be some sort of ancient ruins with some old pillars and the like, he stands in front of an old lion statue made of stone, wearing his hoodie, blue jeans and a t-shirt bearing the logo of Sin City Wrestling, as the camera finish focusing in on the unbreakable one, he begins to speak.

“Peter Vaughn, you know I could stand here and tell you what will happen, or what I hope to happen in our match but it would all be hearsay because the truth is, neither of us can really predict it can we?” Eddie said, “Seeing as we can compete in damn near any sort of competition, it could be something you are better than me at, or it could be something that I am better than you at. The truth is anything can happen in this match, and neither of us can really guarantee a victory can we? I can however tell you what is NOT going to happen.”

Eddie pauses for a moment, and rubs his hands together slightly as he mugs for the camera.

“What’s NOT going to happen is an easy victory for you.” said Eddie, “What’s NOT going to happen is you breaking my spirit or me losing my honor. I’ve heard the chatter than you allowed me to beat Jaycee, because you saw me as the easier target, and if that’s true then it’s about to be the biggest mistake you’ve made since you turned your back on your own principles.”

It was becoming clear that Peter turning from a nice fun loving guy into the man he is now bothered Eddie. As someone who stood by his own values and beliefs  and seeing a similar situation happen to his cousin Vincent, it just hit Eddie harder than it probably should, but hopefully wouldn’t distract from his match.

“You’re not just going to walk into Violent Conduct, breeze past me and then go out for shots of tequila or however it is you might choose to celebrate.” Eddie continued, “Underestimating me would not be wise Peter. I might just be the new guy, but for you that also means you know little of what I can do.  Look, I don’t know why I was chosen to be in that number one contendership match with Jaycee, because I’ll be honest. I don’t think either of us deserved the opportunity. Jaycee hasn’t won his last few matches, and sure I won my debut but I’m still getting my feet wet around SCW. There has to be some guys in the back who deserve it more than I did. But guess what?”

Eddie pauses, but only for a moment, for effect of course.

“For whatever reason. I was chosen.” Eddie said, “I didn’t ask to be chosen, nor did I expect it. But I was and I am going to run with it the best I can.  I didn’t even expect The Lyons Den to choose me as it’s representative. I wasn’t a proven talent, and assumed they were going to continue on with Alex after PWS closed. But they didn’t.  By the way, Alexandra Calaway…if your listening. Alex won’t shut up about you. He’s pissed because he thinks he should be in my spot, winning the Roulette championship and standing beside you as you win the Bombshell Roulette championship. You really did a number on the guy.”

Eddie shrugs, and continues on.

“Not my business though, because I was chosen. Not Alex, not Vincent or Victoria and not even Cleo. It’s my turn to represent for the den and I have no intention of slowing down, and I have no intention of letting The Lyons Den or Sin City Wrestling down.  My talents will continue to be noticed, and I will continue to get better and better each week. My mind is strong and stays focused on the task at hand.” Eddie continued. “My mind stays ready for the unexpected and can prepare itself for  any challenge even an unknown one like what this championship would continuously put in front of me, should I defeat you this Sunday.”

Eddie takes in a breath, before continuing on.

“In the end Peter. Whatever happens I can walk out with my head held high, knowing I did my best and took no shortcuts.” Eddie continued, “Win or lose I know I’ll do it the right way. That worries you doesn’t it? That the new SCW rookie might not be as much of a pushover as you might think. That he just might bring you a real fight that you aren’t ready for. At the end of the day if I win this match then I’ll feel like I truly earned my victory, if you win this match, can you say the same? Or will you be forced to take some sort of shortcut in order to beat the new rookie? The choice if yours Peter. My choice is the same as it always is, and that’s HONOR BEFORE GLORY.

Eddie lets out a big exhale, as the camera steadies on his face before fading to black.

—------