Author Topic: King for the Day Ladder match  (Read 2582 times)

Offline SCW Staff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
King for the Day Ladder match
« on: May 03, 2022, 09:16:46 AM »
Post all roleplays for this match here.
Limits: 1 roleplay per week, 7000 word limit.
Good luck!

Offline The Dragon

• View Profile
    • Mark \
FAME/LOVE
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »
Color Key

Mark “The Dragon” Cross - Yellow
Dylan Cross - Pink
Mark’s Therapist - Orange

Rhodes, Greece
24th April 2022

The Dragon: Dawn what the fuck was that shit?

A seething Mark Cross paces around backstage, a slow-motion replay of his 'victory' being shown on the screen just above his head…just waiting for the flash of black and white striping of a referee shirt to appear through the curtain behind him.

The Dragon: He had the FUCKING ROPE Dawn…

Dylan's hand moves to rest on Mark's arm as his voice raises.

Dylan: Mark what are you-

The Dragon: DON'T YOU FUCKING WALK AWAY FROM ME! HEY!

Mark moves to give chase, only to be stopped in his tracks by the much smaller figure of his partner Dylan blocking his path.

Dylan: Hey yourself.

The Dragon: Dylan c'mon get out of the way…

(Someone's getting brave…)

Dylan: She's got enough to worry about. This isn't you.

(This is exactly who I am)

Seemingly letting the matter drop, Mark's attention shifts from a retreating head referee to Dylan, their eyes meeting for a lingering few seconds before he’s wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into a tight embrace.

The Dragon: I…I'm sorry you had to see that baby…

(I'm sorry I couldn't hide this from you)

Dylan: It'll be okay…

(It won't be okay)

Dylan: It'll work itself out…

(It never works itself out…not unless I DO SOMETHING. I always have to MAKE it work out.)

The Dragon: You know I'd never hurt you, right?

(Fuck, I hope I'd never hurt you. Please tell me I wouldn't…not my Dylan…)

Dylan: Yeah, I know. Why do you think I stood in your way?

(Because you don't know me as well as you think you do.)

The Dragon: I think…I need to make a call…

(I need help. I need to protect her)

The Dragon: C'mon, let me grab my bag and we can get outta here.

(From me. I need to protect her…from me…)

Fame (fame)
Fame (fame) what you like is in the limo
Fame (fame) what you get is no tomorrow
Fame (fame) what you need you have to borrow
Fame (fame)
Fame nein it's mine is just his line
To bind our time it drives you to crime (crime)

Tell me about being famous.

What do you want to know?

I don’t know…give me one thing you like about it.

One thing I like about being famous? I guess more than anything it's being able to draw that positive reaction from a total stranger. There's no greater feeling in the world than getting recognition for all the hard work…packed arena, fans chanting your name…right down to a glowing review on social media…or a fan wanting your autograph…

Yet you always say it’s about art first and foremost. Isn't that a little conceited?

Well, look at you, using my own words against me. Ever fancied a career in wrestling? It is all about the art. It’s the starting point. A writer will create for themselves, it’s their outlet. Painters don't look at the canvas and think about what someone else is going to want to buy…they will paint where their muse takes them. Sure, artists work on commissions, and we work on appearance fees, eventually…but we have to showcase our art before we can get to that point, and we have to perfect it in the trenches. Your own art is very much subjective, a personal thing. It has to be, and how much art finds itself hidden, never shared with a single person? Plenty of kids dream of being wrestlers, work at being wrestlers, but they never get even a single opportunity…so why do so many try? It’s for the love of the game…otherwise it's not really art, it's mechanical…just going through the motions to make a quick buck. They get found out. There’s plenty of guys like that in wrestling, they had it once but one look in their eyes. That’s not fame, that’s riding on old glories. That doesn’t get you to the level I’m at right now.

You say you'd do what you do even in an empty arena, but now I'm not sure that's enough for you?

Look - It's scratching two different itches, that's the thing. Of course from a competitive standpoint we want all of that work, the hours we put in, to culminate in victories in a wrestling ring, and those tales of glory as one man triumphs over another in combat. It has its appeals, it placates my competitive nature, the need to be better than everyone else, and in that situation it doesn’t matter who does, or doesn’t see. I know. My opponents know. When the bell rings, everything else disappears anyway, the blinkers come on, my only concern, the challengers, the goal, the win. The aftermath though, hey what can I say, it’s nice to bask in the glory for a while y’know? Artists create art because they need to. Having that outlet calms the waters, keeps them focussed…and gives them the drive to succeed. It’s a very insular experience, one we need.  Getting into the spotlight, earning the chance to be role model, an example for others to follow? That brings its own set of satisfaction and feeling of fulfilment.

That isn't your concern.

Of course it is.

Yet you're sitting here, talking to a therapist…because you bite off more than you can chew…or worry about things outside of your concern…

Yeah but you see that's what you're wrong, it is in my control. All these kids that grow up watching wrestling, or football, or movies or TV series or you name it, it's gonna leave a mark on them. At certain ages they are very impressionable and that happens at vital stages of their development. There will be kids sitting there who want to be wrestlers when they get older and you know what? A lot of the time they grow up, reality hits, they end up going to college and fighting for GPAs so they can work those 9-5 jobs, get a mortgage, pay their bills… and there are some that do get to follow their dream, and they do go into wrestling. No matter what walk of life people need to be shown the path of what it takes, the attitude to be the best you can be. EVERYONE needs that, because I guarantee even in adulthood, people are more easily influenced than you think.

Why is that your job? You’re carrying the weight of all of that with you?

It's all of our jobs. People have my poster on the wall. They might love Demon of Durango so much they buy the box set just so they have something to look at, to touch. Something to have and to hold. Whether we like it or not, whether we accept it or not, we are role models. It’s one of the necessary evils and you know what, as much as a lot of my peers try to say otherwise? That’s how it is. I’m at least going to make sure that what I’m remembered for is positive.

Is this about these kids, really? Or is it just about you, your legacy?

Why does it matter? What I am is important to me, it has to be. I know it’s always open to interpretation and people will see me through their own eyes, make their own judgements, but knowing I’m doing things the best way I can keeps me going. If I’m bettering myself and others choose to follow my example? Well that sounds a whole lot like a win-win situation to me. I take pride in my appearance, pride in my work, my achievements, and most of all proud that I’ve grown from that selfish little prick I was in my early twenties.

Ah, so you’ve tried to change yourself. Do you feel like you overcompensate, sometimes?

A lot of the time. Ever since I decided this was my purpose I've found it hard to say no to people. That isn't an issue, mostly…as wrestlers, we’re in quite a niche market especially at regional level but still, people watch this on TV or online or in person, and they wanna get a piece of that action, and it's understandable. They pay money to see us perform, they buy our merchandise, we have a certain duty to give back to these people, and you know what, getting noticed in public? It’s the kind of positive ego stroke that I crave, so I can’t knock it.

Is that something every wrestler craves?

Not necessarily…there are places in the world where wrestling is very traditionalistic, almost sacred…but I think here in the US, or in Europe in particular, the kind of wrestling we consume is very entertainment focussed. I call it another one of the necessary evils but yeah that big reaction from the crowd never hesitates to get the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end, even hundreds of matches later.

But this open door policy to you guys, it has limits?

Limits for who?. I mean unless we start bringing our own security with us, no there aren’t really limits. Out in public? People could approach…and with social media being how it is now we’re connected 24/7, so it’s harder than ever to stay private. Yeah sometimes you just wanna be left alone and that is kind of unavoidable. As I say, I enjoy giving back, and I bask in the attention a lot of the time…but if I come off the back of a 10,11,12 hour travel day, sometimes longer, I’m tired...I’ve gotten better at sleeping on planes but it doesn’t come easy to me, so I’m beyond exhausted normally…but I’m also so wired, so there’s no way I could sleep as soon as I get into my room. I need to take the edge off, and maybe this is a personal thing, but drinking those little bottles out of the mini bar alone feels a little desperate, so I might head out to a local bar or something. Trouble with that…you’ve just flown in to the city where the show is gonna be, maybe a day or two beforehand, the show might be on a weekend, it’s a Friday or Saturday night…it’s gonna be busy…and here you are in the centre of where it’s gonna get crazy…overtired…jet-lagged…and probably THE SINGLE MOST LIKELY to get approached by a fan. That’s how I met my now ex-fiancee.

Amber, right?

Amber…I was sitting in a hotel bar in NYC, just got in, when a couple of fans accosted me, interrupted her one-woman pity party. She acted like she was my agent or manager, I think, scared them off. After that I was rushing back to New York every chance I got.

Do you miss her?

Why are we here?

I don’t see how-

Why…are we…here?

You called me.

Why?

Because you were scared you were going to hurt Dylan.

So why are we here?

Dylan. We’re here because of Dylan.

So…what would be your guess? No I don’t fucking miss Amber.

You never told me what went wrong with you two.

Do we have to-

I think it could be important to what we’re discussing now.

Right, make it related to fame, got it. Amber and I worshipped the ground the other walked on, but believe it or not, that wasn’t enough for us. There were some other issues behind the scenes, sure every relationship does, but instead of wasting time on all that, let me get to the point. We both had career aspirations. I was already established as a wrestler, and making my first steps into acting…Amber wanted to be a dance teacher, run her own school…which me being me, meant buying her the building, making that dream come true for her…and in doing so, made sure that we both had our own individual things to focus on. Things that would come first, things the relationship worked around. Let’s just say I don’t get on very well playing second fiddle to anything or anyone, even if I paid for the first fiddle.

You’re saying that your partner needs to drop everything and put you first, over their career, or their passion?

Yes.

Just like that.

I’d do it for them.

So why is Dylan different?

Because I’m helping her create a future in place of her past…and she’s breathing new life back into me, helping me see things through brand new eyes. First of all…there is us…our relationship…our adventures…and if wrestling can fit in amongst it somehow then it’s welcome to come along for the ride.

Do you fear just fading into irrelevance?

Yeah I don't see that happening.

I do. So what, you build your legacy, you get your Hall of Fame induction, what’s that worth in 20 years when nobody gets to see it?

Wow you're really going for the fucking throat today, aren't you?

C’mon - We both know you need to stay relevant. What’s the plan?

OK fine I'll play your game. I figure when the boots get hung up I'll go into commentary, get behind the announce table, and bring some Britishness to the airwaves. Plus I've still got the gym…I've still got Dragon’s Lair…I've still got students that are going from strength to strength in their own budding careers and there'll be more that come through the system as well, all learning from my experiences…there are so many things that I can keep myself busy with just in wrestling alone. I can understand what you're getting at…yeah I do have this desire to always be relevant. I might as well just admit it. Maybe I have a few narcissistic tendencies, maybe as well as an obsession with having control, even over the littlest details. I need a purpose, whatever I do, or I struggle to give it my all. I guess my question here is that such a bad thing does that really cause anyone to get hurt?

Well that makes everything all about you…

Oh get fucked does it make everything about me. Go and look back to countless number of selfless acts and tell me that again. Someone I cared about wanted to be a dance teacher so I bought them a fucking studio. I bought your son a new bike because I watched you accidentally drive over his old one in your car. I sign every autograph that gets put in my face. I let kids who want to wrestle train for free if they can’t afford it. We opened a location in New Orleans to put something into the economy after Katrina…what are you saying I’m not trying to help people and be a good human being, I’m just trying to be a celebrity for a while longer?

I’m saying it might be in the back of your mind…

No. People will stop caring, and from then it’s back to being a regular guy living a regular life. I accept that. By that point? The hard work is done. When I retire I accept that it’s entirely possible that not a single second of any of my old matches will EVER be watched again. Line drawn. After all, fame is a finite thing, right? Now you see fame may be…but impressions aren’t. A small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state…AKA the butterfly effect. How many fans might have watched a match, listened to a promo, had their photo taken with me, how many random strangers who might have received some random act of kindness from me, how many rookies I given advice to, or sparred with…all might have been touched by me in some way, made a more positive change on this world compared to if they hadn’t met me. How far might that influence have spread? Fame has helped do great things, it’s my duty to ride that wave as long as I can.

You really believe that?

I have to. Otherwise everything was a waste, and I should have just been selfish…and bought more watches…

I never walked near the edge
Used to fear falling
I never swam far from shore
Never tried the secret door

But when you give me love
When you give me love

I have no fear of heights,
No fear of the deep blue sea,
Although it could drown me

Tables, Ladders and Scares

Professional wrestling is certainly not the best place to have a fear of heights, and in a few weeks of such intense self-reflection? I still don’t really know where this one came from. Familiarity helps. I remember a time in my twenties where my mates went and booked tickets in row Z at the Santiago Bernabeu, and it was around the 20 minute mark when I managed to get my jelly legs to take me all the way up to my seat.

By full-time and a couple of bottles of Mahou later, I was jumping around like I was safely at ground level, and if I had to get myself back up there a second time? I figure I’d get there in time for kick-off.

I didn’t die once, so I’m confident I won’t die again.

That was why I was standing on top of an A-frame ladder, talking to a camera on a selfie stick.

Familiarity. Adrenaline would do the rest.

“Well who in the fuck put that guy in?” ...screams four challengers, over the top of the din. “Not again!” cries two of those four, who have already fallen once before, knowing their chances are already no more. To crown a King is why we fight, we’ll lay it all out on Sunday night. One victor, up the ladder they’ll ascent…while those below face an untimely end?

I think it’s probably best if I stick to wrestling and since we’re on a time-crunch, let’s get right to the point.

For a company that doesn’t allow for intergender matches? I've been wrestling a lot of birds lately. Another Raven, the second in a row and yet for Alexander, maybe more like a murder of crows. 1-5 in 2022, huh? Against this crop? Proclaiming to be the One True King? I bet you use capital letters for each word of that too, like you’re writing it’s very importance into existence or something. Let me make this quick for you. You’re looking in the wrong place. If everything you touch is turning to failure? You don’t run through the grief checklist as congratulations…you’ve moved all the way through to stage five, you’ve accepted your complete and total inability to win a wrestling match…and then proceed to go on like you cracked the code, calling out your next opponent like it’s a regular ordinary day.

You haven’t done anything different, you haven’t changed a thing. What was that definition of insanity…going through the same motions expecting the results to change? I mean Fenris…Matthew Knox…Senor Vinnie…all tough opponents, but Bill Barnhart? Come the fuck on. I wanted to get to you first since…as we move through this list…you’ll see it’s just one more match where you’re totally outgunned.

So next up…to the one man who’s probably going to be feeling the slightest hint of comfort about my inclusion. Ben Jordan. Times have certainly changed, but back then as Underground Champion, I still had doubts in my ability and after bringing myself back up to a full-time schedule…whether I still even belonged on that stage… and as it turns out, I was half a second away from taking the whole thing. Maybe if I hadn’t picked up that knee injury, I could have dug a little deeper and bought it home. I could have been World champion at that point, over a year earlier. I knew then I was far from over the hill. After all, that match was a test…a kind of setting the bar for where I need to be, much like my test for Matthew Knox on this very tour. It showed me the point I needed to be at to top the tree in Sin City Wrestling, and as it turned out that extra little bit that I needed? Well it wasn't all that much at all.

Ben's facing a different beast this time around now, all the self-doubt that might have been there at that time, well that's long gone, that sickly nervous feeling replaced by stoic self-assurance. Since that night, all that's happened since has been more hard work, more victories, a second Blast from the Past win and that all important World title. Of course everyone learns. and if we're doing it right, hopefully everyone improves too. He stands apart from the rest in that he has that one hard-fought victory against me…I am a far cry from the competitor Ben faced two years prior. He’ll have to hope he’s followed the same trend.

Next…the conquests…

Agostino Romano…the fan favourite…came in and put on a show for a little while against me, had the crowd all excited, flipping and flopping about the ring…but the result was inevitable in the end. There was about as much substance to your words before the match as there was to your performance, and the result panned out exactly how we thought it would. Not all titles are created equal and you’re going to be swimming in a pool with fish who have already proven they’re different gravy. You’re looking up at a precipice only you can dream of, all while AJM…and Ben…and myself, have already reached the top and planted our flags. There’s no doubt, Agostino, you will whip up the crowd, that’s what you do after all…and you know what, you might even stay out of the way long enough to be safe for a while as the bigger bulls lock horns…but your approach is high risk, low percentage…Italian flair can only get so far…and it’ll soon gets found out against this calibre of opposition.   

And Austin James Mercer…we've been here and done this before too. Last time? I was met with excuses…nothing but excuses…Hey Mark before we even start, here’s all the reasons I’m going to lose to you. I’ve done too much training, I didn’t manage my workload, I’m broken down etc. etc. etc. All things under your control.Oh and then if it’s not that? All the bravado about this is where I should be, this is where I belong, this is what I deserve, look at how long my title reigns have been, I'm incredible…

This is the EXACT reason guys are up in arms. A title, after all, is only as strong as the pool of competition, the quality of the contests. Your Mixed Tag title that you so covet, where was Alex, Ben, or Fenris during that, coming after you? Or were they simply not interested in waiting for you to belittle it when you lose, because YOU failed to prepare, not because you’re half the competitor you think you are?

The level of delusion is unreal, as the only one here who thinks they’re dangerous is well…you. I look forward to proving you wrong out there. Besides, I have one to go. One who makes your views on life pretty realistic because last…believe it or not…the most deluded of them all…

From one deluded fool to another. If it’s not Masque and her Rapture that’s coming about as fast as winter in Game of Thrones - It’s this fucking guy. “Godly” Ken Davidson. The hammer of ‘truth’ coming down on me as he treats us to “I got in the ring with Amber Ryan and I REMEMBERED that I used to be one of the most feared in the business.” Are you fucking KIDDING me right now? The reason you don’t remember it pal, is because you don’t have the minerals anymore, those days are long in the past, and they’re a long time coming back.

Let me tell you a little something about Amber Ryan and we can see where you’re all going wrong. You’re right on one point…she’s dangerous as hell…It’d be a great contest but I wouldn’t face her by choice, that shit is gonna hurt but why does she strike fear into the hearts? Amber isn’t the fastest. She’s not the strongest. She’s not the most technical. The problem for us is she just WANTS it more. She gets up that one more time. She works harder, for longer. She takes more punishment. She’s the human personification of warrior spirit, and you know what?

You don’t just REMEMBER you have that. It doesn’t just pop up like ‘heyyyyyy buddy you remember me, from college? Wanna go smoke a joint like old times bro?’ You don’t just pluck that shit outta thin air. You have to live and breathe that and you know what, maybe you once did. Maybe that’s why the success happened. The dominance happened. The top championships happened. Past tense. Your Internet title doesn’t impress me. Victories over AJM don’t impress me, the two of you can trade blows of what you both used to be in the good old days and you know what? We might even get some flashes of brilliance from you…

…in fact, I hope we do, why don’t you make it interesting, before a real World title contender comes out and shows you WHAT THEY ALREADY ARE.

A cut above.

One thing I can assure you, when it’s me at the top of that ladder…the new King won’t be granting himself a title match.

Huh, the crowd exclaimed?

That’s right, you heard it here first. After all, what kind of a hypocrite would I be, a few weeks later, to just go and park myself in that very same spot that Matthew Knox finds himself in, not by choice.?

I think it's natural for us to all chase personal achievements and I'm really no different. I've got my own aspirations, for getting myself into the Hall of Fame specifically, and with that I think more titles need to happen, a few more long reigns, more notches on my bed-post of achievements. I guess it seems like a prime opportunity, and yeah I accept that I should take opportunities as and when they come up…I feel like this isn't the right time. It's very easy to park myself in a World title match of course, I’m one win away, and whoever happens to be holding the title at the time, whether it be Matthew or Mac…well I've taken both of them out….albeit slightly assisted. I know that I am more than capable of doing the same thing again with the strap on the line, and if it’s Matthew, something that can be decided without referee intervention. Just because I can? Doesn't mean that I should, and this is just a sign of the damage that has been done. The reputation of the division is in tatters, and maybe it’s up to us main contenders to build that credibility back from the ground up. Now unfortunately the belt fell into the wrong hands, and this is not just about the selection after Blast from the Past, this has been brewing for a while.

You know I think it's inevitable I'm gonna wind up in that position again at some point, gunning for that World title, but if that happens, it has to be done my way. You know what my way is? The hard way, every single time. One match does not make a number one contender, it’s why Blast from the Past is a tournament…although maybe I should rephrase. One match can work to seal a contendership…but not for the World title, not if you're doing it properly. Not if it is battled for in the spirit that it is meant. So therefore…I will take this opportunity to become King For A Day…and I will put on a show all of the fans will want to see, and I want to be a part of. You know what I always thought my next career move would be behind the mic, but maybe booking is in my future instead? Who knows.

Of course with our title aspirations, we all have our lists of dream matches. Some in our heads, some written down, some shared on social media. People we would want to team with or fight against. After all this is where the fun really begins, ticking a few of those off the bucket list. My time here is no different. The truth is a lot of the time we're so caught up in what we hold that we don't take the time to put these matches in, the ones we want to have for our own fulfilment, not the ones we need to achieve our goals… and being in control, even if it's just for a week? Gives me the chance to do exactly that.

Now of course that begs the question…who would I choose? That's the million dollar question, and one that even sitting here right now I'm not sure I know the answer to, but I think I have an idea. A little story of two competitors with the chance for revenge…or maybe for the other two stamp their authority once and for all. A partnership, well-established elsewhere, against something new, fresh, exciting and potentially dominant too. I think, for now, that’s all I’ll say, I’ll never count chickens before…they…lay?

Fucking hell…that’s terrible even for me…ugh…

Anyway…I've got a couple of weeks to think about it after all, one step at a time. Winning the match has to come first, and while I know individually I have them all under control, there’s a lot of variables, a lot of moving parts….unlike this ladder, which to be fair has been pretty stable, look at this!

The camera begins to bounce and shake as Mark clearly left his gimbal attachment at home today, the Go Pro auto-stability function no match for his vigorous bouncing, the ladder clunking underneath him as boots pound onto the metal and it was that moment he knew…and as the arm holding the camera began to windmill instead, we also knew…he fucked up…

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

As the camera flies off to who-knows-where…we are greeted with the sounds of Brit hitting canvas, followed by ladder hitting Brit…and canvas…

I’m okay! Nobody panic, I’m okay!

This love is good
This love is bad
This love is alive back from the dead, oh, oh, oh
These hands had to let it go free, and
This love came back to me, oh, oh, oh
This love left a permanent mark
This love is glowing in the dark, oh, oh, oh
These hands had to let it go free, and
This love came back to me, oh, oh, oh

“Love is not a choice, and it cannot be controlled.”

Discuss.

Now nobody panic, this will not be a long monologue about how love is nothing more than a social construct and I don’t plan on ruining the whole magic either…at least I hope it won’t…as there is supposed to be a point to this.

There’s going to be a point to ALL of this self reflection over the coming weeks.

I just don’t know what it is yet.

I don’t think I even began to appreciate what love was until my early twenties, which makes me feel sorry for anyone who got caught up with me in one of those silly teen romances…and as I approach middle age, I still have things to learn about the L word. Even now it still surprises me at times when I least expect it. After all, love is a cruel mistress that has a habit of creeping up and dragging you back into its clutches, leaving you paralysed as your mind tries to figure out WHY? WHY HER?

It's crazy how many of us fall for the wrong person. It’s even crazier how maybe we fall for exactly the right person…but it’s at the wrong time in one or both of our lives. It's wild how something can on paper be so perfect, But in reality it doesn't work out…either you try and it crashes and burns, or more often than not…it never gets the chance to play out in the first place.

See I've had plenty of lucky escapes, near misses, times I've looked at someone and thought “Hey, are you my one that got away?” Even at times when I'm so completely and entirely happy…my mind plays tricks on me, poses scenarios where I know in my head it’d never work…or we tried that once before and it failed miserably…but no matter what the brain says, the heart always seems to want what it wants, eventually. That’s once it’s run you around in circles a few hundred times, of course.

It’s funny…I’ve spent the last fourteen, fifteen years in a combat sport, may the best man win and all that, and I can honestly say that love is one of life’s greatest levellers. I mean think about it, think back to a real purple patch in your life, when things could NOT have been going better, everything was under your fingertips…everything that could be controlled was under spell and then-

BOOM - You meet a girl.

And you can’t make her love you back, no matter what you do.

Fuck.

Now there is a little-known fact about me, and as I was planning this little self-reflective journey I had to question where I was going to reveal it, if I was going to reveal it at all. I know how many people I’ve told…I can count them on one hand…and I wonder how many people who only met me in my thirties would be able to count, after all of the graft it took to plaster over the cracks…

I was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome.

Have you ever gone through twenty-something years of your life, believing you were…you? Like that was your own personality, and you were in complete and total control of it? Probably most of you reading this, right?

“It is a condition you were born with. It is untreatable, but we will do everything we can to help you manage it.”

My views of love were always a little…disjointed before that.  I think everyone is in the same boat to a point, especially when things don't go quite how you want them to. My condition makes me crave control, and it's probably why I've been pulled up as buying into my own hype, completely unable to see past myself in any kind of competitive situation and I have to agree, I relish that kind of control, more than most. I think one of my biggest weaknesses also becomes one of my biggest strengths…because in order to be so sure of yourself competitive sport, you have to have the skills to back it up. With wrestling I have spent so long just working and working and working and working to be the very best that I can be, eeking out every last percent…so that I can back up some of these statements that I'm making.

Whether in wrestling or in life, you have to put the effort in to be the person YOU want to be.

And even then…it might not be enough. The problem with relationships is that it doesn't always work the same way. You can't just put hours upon hours of training into how to make someone love you more. No amount of books can really get you to that point.  Sure, there are books on dating and relationships and psychology,  on how the human mind reacts to certain situations but when you study a subject for that long, are you really having a heart-to-heart, oris it going through the motions trying to tick boxes from some book that some professor wrote…who's probably been married happily for the thirty years and doesn’t remember what falling hard and fast in love feels like…yeah they've been there and done it but can you really quantify that down into some kind of book form? Really?

Love is about vulnerability…letting someone in, truly…

So the answer to that has to be no…and trust me as much as I wish it could be that easy, explained in a quantifiable way so that people like me could understand it better…but you can’t keep someone at arm’s length in case they stumble into a chapter you haven’t gotten around to reading yet. It isn’t black-and white.

For example…Two hearts, perfect for each other, can bypass each other like ships in the night. It happens all the time. Sometimes it might be temporary, their paths may cross again in the future. In others, they may never circle each other.

I could have been in the room with my “ONE TRUE LOVE” and yet, neither one of us would have even realised. How does that make sense? How is that fair?

For me I had to learn what love is. I had to almost learn what emotions were, how to describe them, put labels on them, and be able to describe my feelings in a way that came naturally to the neurotypical, things most humans understand from an early age. They say with my condition it’s better if you catch it early, yet I wasn't learning these skills until I was in my twenties, still working on them into my thirties, and even now pushing 40 I still don’t convey my feelings as well as I’d like to. I bottle them up, try and understand them, and have to fight to stop them blowing up. After all, how can someone on the outside looking in understand when I can’t explain it myself.

I ended up with a choice. I could either continue the way that I was, allow whatever this condition was to rule my life and define my relationships…or I could make a choice and say no I'm absolutely not doing that. Choosing no meant some very difficult conversations. It meant getting myself into situations where I knew that I was going to be uncomfortable, where I knew I was forcing a square peg into a round hole. At times that was stressful…and exhausting… and what would be normal, routine conversation for two people with brains wired up correctly, would be like pulling teeth with me involved. It was uncomfortable, but it was non-negotiable.

Only I would be in control of my life, not some syndrome.

At the end of the day I didn't accept my fate. There was no way that I could. That wasn't an outcome that I could take, no matter the cost. I wanted to be as quote-unquote “normal” as I possibly could be…in all ways, including in my relationships. If that meant I had to work every day to manage this condition, that was exactly what I was going to do. It has cost me thousands of dollars worth of counselling, just to get to the point when even people close to me couldn’t tell there was something a little unusual about me.

I knew what I wanted to be. Not just to me, but to someone else. I wanted to feel loved, and wanted, and needed, and in return I wanted to be their everything they could ever need.

Love cannot be chosen. It is a pure, heart-driven emotion that cannot be controlled…cannot be quantified…and cannot be understood. I had choices, sure - I had to choose to open myself up for it, put myself in the position to accept it when it came, and to feel the hurt when it wasn’t reciprocated.

As a result…I have loved, and been loved…the warm, fuzzy feeling as you float on a cushion of air. I have loved, and had it thrown back in my face, the words a metaphorical dagger in my heart, the sickness in the pit of my stomach very much real.

I have felt love, the good parts and the bad. I FEEL love right now, every time I look at my Dylan…but fuck me it was a whole lot of work.

The kind of unflappable work ethic that I put into finding love, in my early twenties? I think that was the start of the unflappable work ethic that I use in wrestling now. The truth was when I started out…in understanding this sport, or in understanding my own emotions…it was a struggle.

That struggle…It set me up for how I was going to approach every hurdle I’d come across and as it turned out, began to help me excel in other areas of my life.

I wasn’t always a great wrestler. I wasn’t always great at love…but you know what? I learned how to win in the end.

Offline Austin James Mercer

• View Profile
    • Austin James Mercer
Re: King for the Day Ladder match
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 08:08:49 PM »
Carrying the flag

”So, what exactly is wrong with you?”

It was like a ny other day at Wolfslair. The sound of chatting, instruction and bodies hitting the plywood and steel of a ring echoes through the large New York Gym. I’d imagine it was the same over at Wolfslair Orlando. The members of SCW who had been over in Greece and were preparing to go back all stood around near the office. Alicia Lukas popping grapes into her mouth as Finn Whelan, uncaring and bored of the conversation already checked his phone.

Austin on the other hand had his large arms folded over his chest, staring at Alex Jones, his friend and mentor. Leader of the gym anf the group. Johanna Krieger, former member of the SCW roster sat to the side, an eyebrow raised as she too was curious about the commotion. Alex sighed and shook his head looking up at AUstin with a smirk.

”Always to the point aren’t we Aus?” Finn raised an eyebrow before turning on his heels and going to talk to Sonya. Alex reached up and scratched the back of his head aa Alicia impatiently tapped her foot. Alex gave a small nod and stood up, looking at the two original members of the gym and the group. ”Lets just say I need surgery and leave it at that….I won’t go into details but my knee is basically being held together by duct tape and the hopes and dreams of my agent at this point…”

Alicia couldn’t help but chuckle at Alexs joke. Austin however looked more dour and disappointed. Alicia reached forward and tapped Alex on the shoulder with a comforting nod she turned and moved toward the ring, eager to get some training in before the Queen for a day match. Austin on the other hand folded his large arms over his chest and grunted under his breath. ”So…what’s the timeline?”

”The timeline?

”For your recovery? When can you start getting in the ring, or even doing rehab? When is the surgery scheduled? Austin stayed still, staring right at Alex who sat back down, his right hand going to his knee and staying on his kneecap with a small sigh and a shake of his head, he looked away and then around the gym at all the eager, young faces. So many champions and ones with championship potential. He couldn’t help but smile. ”I know that look Alex…you’re not going through this whole “I might retirer” shit again are you?”

Alex lightly rubbed the sides of his knee and looked back up at Austin. ”You’re talking like I have a choice this time kid…” Alex still called him that, Austin resisted the urge to wince, instead staying silent and looking down at him. ”In the pasr I thought about stopping because I questioned my place in the business, my place doing this and wondered if I was still good enough. I answered those questions. Being the world champion again, having a better run that actually mattered, doing what I did with the roulette title…but this…this one is out of my hands and my control Aus.”

Austin clenched his jaw and shook his head. ”Nothing is out of your control. Least of all this. Surgery, recovery. Medical science is a hell of a thing…”

Alex chuckled and sat back, leaning against the brinck wall behind the small bench he was sitting on. ”Yeah, yeah it is. And 9I could come back. Get my knee repaired, work my ass off in rehab. Live like a hermit for a year and push through all that pain to get back to where I can be medically cleared. But…truth is Austin I just don’t know if I have that in me anymore…”

Austin growled, his eyes burned and he wanted to slap Alex as hard as he could. Instead he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. ”You didn’t answer my question. What is the timeline?”

Alex nodded slowly. He puched up to his feet and groaned as he did, the amount of strength it took to lift his body beind shouldered more to his left as he favored the other side. [color=red’”Six months after the surgery to start working harder, maybe nine to ten months total before I would be close to cleared…”[/color] He trailed off anfd shruggfed. ”When you’re young, nine to ten months seems like nothing. Liek you could do it standing on your head. But now, at my age and how long I’ve been doing this or how long I have left…would there really be a point?” He paused again Austin leaned close and shook his head.

”There is always a point Alex…Always

”Is there really? What else ha ve I got to prove? I’m not a young wolf like you. You’re still in your prime. You have lots more world titles ahead of you. Alot more matches, alot more to prove.” He trailed off and took a deep breath before snapping out of it.. ”Besides, this is your time anyway. You have alot more to look forward to. And I’m not going anywhere. I’ll be here and I’ll be hanging around SCW….”

Austin clenched his jaw and paced back and forth looking more and more agitated. Hisd blood boiled, his eyes burned. He was frustrated and bordering on angry. ”It sounds like you’ve already made your fucking decision. That you’re already defeated and done. That your career is over like…like this”

”Like what exactly?”

Austin’s voice raised, probably a little louder than he really meant it to be. His chest puffed out and he pointed at Alex with another growl. ”With a goddamn whimper instead of a bang. Your career, a ten time world champion, a guy who has been all around the world. Like this….one last match against that little shit Jack Washington…JACK WASHINGTON…you want your last ever match to be a loss. To him?” Austins words stung, but Alex kept his cool. Austin was just angry and frustrated, Alex understood but stayed silent. ”Come on man….that isn’t you.”

Alex just smiled and shook his head. ”Kid, I haven’t made a decision yet. I will see how I feel and I will see what I can or can’t do. I don’t even know if the injury is that sever. It was a preliminary exam. I’m just prepared for the worst. And if it is the worst, I will asses and evaluate. But…as far as the last match…” Alex looks over at everyone and then back at Austin. ”My legacy won’t be boiled down to my last match or one loss. Or even one win. I know where I am in the world and what I have done. But now Aus, now it’s your turn to go get that crown…and flay the flag of Wolfslair…”

In the age of kings.

”Athens Greece.”

Austins booming voice opens us up. It’s a beautiful day in Athens, and Austin, all six foot six of him is sitting in front of the Acropolis. The iconic citadel overlooking the historic city. A small smile comes across his face as he looks up through the veil of long brown hair that flows down.

”It’s strange being in such a historic place. The birthplace of true civilization. Of government and of the olympics. A place that was so instrumental top the advancement of the human race that the Romans stole the entire thing and decided to maker their entire world about it. What a fitting place to hold a show that will have a match with such immense magnitute….Six men. Six men and one crown swaying high above the ring. You climb that ladder and you get to hold all the power…”

“Power…”

“This city was thew seat of power for the entire world at one point. A place that held the entire future of the ancient world in it’s hands. A place that gave birth to some of the most iconic gods and monsters in antiquity. Ones thjat echo through the ages and have inspired countless tv shows, movies, books, video games. But I prefer to think of the real, the tangoible. See, one of the greatest generals and leaders in human history was Greek, he wasn’t Athenian…he was macedonian. Alexander the great….”

“And…as arrogant as this sounds I feel a kinship with the man…”

“He was a man that had to live up to the lofty expectations of a father that was a legend in his own time. See, ALexanders father was a king of kings. A man who took his army against the mighty army of Athens and forced them into peace. ,He forced them into recognising their autonomy. Something that wasn’t really done then…and his son, lowly little Alexander was given the task of living up to his father Phillip….much like I had to live up to my own fathers legacy. But, much like Alexander….well…”

Austin reached down placing his bands on the marble steps, pushing his way to his feet and looking up at the towering, remade structure and smiled.

”I have surpassed my father and anything he or my family lineage had done. And that shows no sign of slowing down. As I gear up for the king for a day match I wonder just what I would do oif I took that crown down. What am I capable of and what kind of Chaos could I inflict on everyone. Of course if I was top win it, I would indeed be that assholke who would book myself in a world title match. And at this point it would be to save the damn thing…cause, I want you people to sit back and realise that in this king for a day match, we have Ben Jordan, Mark Cross and myself in it, and earlier in the night we will see Jack Washington, Fenris and Vinnie all in the ring…”

“We are all former world champions…”

“Men whop held that title proudly and made it mean something. Yes even in Mark Cross case. And what is that title doing at into the void? Hmmm?”

“I was all on board with Mac Bane being world champion. Unlike Alex I could see he was a fighting champion and a man ready to be one of the best. But, then as I looked closer I started to see those flaws. His disrespect, his actions toward everyone, like Alex, his own friends and even his wife. And now, to top it all off, with everyone in the company he could face one on one for that title the man he ended up facing was..Matt Knox?...really?...”

“That’s what the SCW title has been reduced to?”

Austin shakes his head almost in disbelief.

”A man who fucked Alex out of a rematch, putting the title on the line against a man who has done NOTHING to earn it? And, I don’t want to hear how Matt Knox is a “huge deal” outside SCW so he gets to jump the line. Matt Knox ix not a big deal anywhere except in his own mind. The only comfort I have is that if Mac beats him Matt will pack his bags and leave like he has at every other company he manipulates his fucking way into and lost a main event match in….”

“So, I need to win this damn match and FIX THIS SHIT.”

“But that will be easier said than done. In a match more about luck than skill, against five other men who are willing to go to the same lengths I am.”

“Ken Davison, Mark Cross, Ben Jordan, Agostino Romano and Alexander Raven join me in this match and only one of us can grab that crown and take control of the show. Only one of us can make Climax Control in our image and trust me on this, I’m not in it to play pretend king like others will, I want this for one reason only. To get my one on one world title match against whoever the fuck the champion is after Into the void…”

“And..well..give Tempest a bombshells title match cause she fucking deserves it…”

Austin scoffs and shakes his head.

”Come to think of it. Roxi Johnson and Myra Rivers deserve the main event spot over Mac and Matt, so I guess we really don’t ever get what we deserve do we? You have to take your own destiny in your hands. Much like Alexander did when he marched to Babylon. Much like the Athenian army did when they went to war with the rest of Greece against the Persians. You have to grab your own destiny and make the most of it. Something I’m sure everyone else in this match will.”

“Ken is a ,veteran and someone who has beaten me, don’t think I forgot Ken, I know how good you are, I know what you bring to the table and I congratulate you on your win. And if you do happen to become a god-king that you go after Mac or Matt and make them your bitch,,,:”

“And I am damn excited to see Ben goddamn Jordan across from me again too. See, Ben is a real former champion, a man who took that title and made it mean something. A man who, along with his wife were a true power couple. Ben Jordan is a man I have respect for. A man that I would like to shake the fhand of and tell the world what kind of champion he has been and could be again.”

“Shit even Mark Cross has that..”

“As much as I dislike Mark Cross because of his wishy washy attitude toward professional wrestling and the fact he spends more time promoting womens asses on Twitter than he does the company, I had to admire someone who basically rain manned himself into the world title….Mark has a proven track record of being able to bring it in big moments. So I get it..I get why he’s here…”

Austin sighs and shakes his head.

”I can’t say the same for Agostino Romano. One of the long list of disappointing internet champions that took a giant shit on the title I brought back to make famous. A guy who puts less effort in than anyone else yet still somehow, someway gets handed opportunities like this one. This spot could have gone to any number of SCW or SCU roster members and instead we get stuck with the skinny little turd who never takes anything seriously. Great…”

“But one of us has to do ths-...wait..”

Austin looks at his fingers and counts before tilting his head.

”I’m missing someone…Alexander Raven…the namesake of the hero that I namechecked earlier. I forgot about you. Much like all of us did soon after you made your debut. A guy who looked like he was the real deal but much like a premature ejaculation was the ultimate let down and then just ended up as a stain on a cheap hotel mattress….”

“Tell me Alexander…what do you hope to accomplish here? Aside from just ebing a name on the roster.”

“See, aside from Ben, I’m the only one in this magtchy that feels truly special. Ben has always held that place in this company, Ken is a great veteran and Mark has history and an uncanny ability to be at the right place at the right time…”

“But Agostino and Alexander Raven?...give me a break…”

“Athens Greece…King for a day…the rest of you?...will be fools for a lifetime…:”
>

Offline GKD

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 11:59:39 PM »
It had been two hours since Ken Davison had been left alone in the confines of the former St. Anne’s Catholic Church. At the exact moment that Kyra Johnson had left her fiancé, the empty hallways instantly felt emptier. Alone with his thoughts, Davison had made the conscious decision to stay in his office, at least for a few more days. That choice never managed to last a few days. In fact, it had barely lasted a few hours. Around six o’clock, Davison grabs his phone and looks down at the screen. No text messages. No voicemails. No missed calls.

‘She has to be driving. It’s fine. Everything will be fine. It has to be fine.’ Ken thought to himself as he can’t seem to decide what to do. To say he was conflicted was an understatement. ‘If she needs space, I want to give her space. Then again, I know how much it hurt her when Jack Michaels decided to take his sabbatical.’

Jack Michaels was Kyra’s former fiancé. In preparing for a title defense, he disappeared for two months, only showing his face when he came back at the company’s next pay-per-view to face, you guessed it, Amber Ryan… Amber FUCKING Ryan.

It began as a game for Ken. With Jack Michaels gone and Amber Ryan focused on the World Championship, that left the other two members of their stable to fend for themselves, one of them being the aforementioned Kyra Johnson. Ken looked upon Kyra as a pawn. His sole purpose was to try and manipulate her to hurt Amber. The strange thing was, Ken didn’t feed Kyra lies. He told her the truth. He showed her that she was her own woman. In fact, Ken had defeated Kyra in their first encounter, a bloody brawl that Ken was fortunate enough to win. Following that match, Kyra Johnson went on a tear, full of confidence, even defeating Ken in their rematch. Not only did Ken show Kyra her true worth, but he found her worth for himself. She came in and they tore each other’s walls down. Ken had spent literally two and a half decades building those walls, only to see them torn down in a matter of months. And that is the short version. Kyra Johnson was his world. Without her, he was nothing.

Now, Ken sits petrified as her words run through his head.

“Just… let it go.  All of it.”

‘How the hell do I let it go? I don’t know how to let shit go. Amber is never going to let this go. The bad blood runs too deep. I know that she won’t let this go, so what am I supposed to do? Just let my guard down so she can take me out when I least expect it? Nope. At least if I poke the bear, the bear is in front of me.’ Ken’s entire thought process paused. Though poking the bear usually meant that the bear got sloppy and made mistakes, this time, the bear poked back. His grand plan had backfired and because of one teensy, tiny self-defense spinebuster, he was now public enemy number one. While this was actually good for his career, it was bad for his personal life.

Ken grabs his phone. It might not be the best idea, but he picks up his phone and shoots Kyra a text.

Hey... can we talk? I want to come home…

Ken waits… and waits… and waits… nothing.

I know I said I would give you space... you said this felt familiar, but I'm not Jack. I'm not going to run away from you. I don't care what kind of shit we've got going on. I want to run TO you…

Ken grabs his keys off of his desk. He starts to walk out the door, but stops short of the door.

‘Space… I said I’d give her space. Goddamnit!’

Ken did not know what to do at that moment. ‘Driving. Remember? She has to be driving,’ he reminds himself. At that point, Ken Davison does the only thing he can think of outside of calling Kyra and praying she would talk to him. He dials his brother.

“Brohan!” comes the excited voice from the other end of the phone. Enter Sean Pollux. Sean Pollux has been many things to Ken over the years; future brother-in-law, former tag team partner, adopted brother, and now, amatuer life coach. “What’s crackalackin’?”

“You want the honest truth or a happy lie?” Ken deadpans.

“I know that tone. How bad did you screw the pooch this time, bro?” There is a mixture of disbelief and concern in Sean’s voice.

“Well, I’m at the church and Kyra just took Adina and left me here.”

“The hell you do?”

“Well, it started with a mixed tag match against Amber Ryan…” Sean audibly sighs, cutting off his brother.

“Do I really need to remind you what a dick you became the last time you got involved with that woman? She really brought out the worst in you. Which means that Amber’s pissed at you, not like that’s anything new. Mac’s mad at you. Kyra’s not happy with you, obvi. So exactly how deep did you step in it?”

“Can I just clarify that while I may have stepped in shit, at least this time the shit isn’t mine?” Ken pleads. Sean, to his credit, is having none of it.

“I don’t know, man. It’s not like you have a proven track record in that regard.”

“I’m serious. Amber asked for the match. She rushed me and I gave her a spinebuster. That’s it.”

“That’s it?”

“That’s it. I swear.”

“Pfft. I call bullshit, bro. I know you. There is no way Amber JUST rushed you and that you JUST reacted.”

“I mean, I was talking shit the whole match. But, Amber’s a hothead. It’s not like that’s some kind of secret.”

“Listen, Ken. I’m gonna shoot you a straight one. You need to talk to Kyra yourself. You need to talk to Mac yourself. You need to take some Kendamned accountability. I love you, bro. But, man, I am not your janitor. Clean up your own mess.”

“Sea…” Ken doesn’t even finish saying his brother’s name before the disconnection beeps in his ear. “Just fucking great,” Ken says to no one in particular.

Here he was, a little more than a month from getting married and Ken wasn’t sure if he was going to have a relationship with Kyra, let alone a marriage.  A few moments later, his phone lit up and let out a short ding.  Immediately, his stomach starts doing somersaults in his gut as he fumbles with the device, hoping it's her. 

I never told you that you couldn’t come home.

The way you left… I don’t know. This is messing with me. You know I suck at life. I don’t know if I am supposed to apologize to Amber to try and make it right. I at least know I have to talk to Mac. But the most important thing here is you. No one else except Adina. I know we’ve got to work this out. When I said I’d give you space you never told me if that was what you wanted. I didn’t know. This whole talking shit out thing is hard. I still don’t know if you want space. I guess if you are telling me I can come home that you don’t, but I don’t know. Like, I don’t care. I want to be with you. I mean, I do care about your feelings. For fucks’ sake… I don’t know what to say.”

The fact that this was Ken’s first relationship in 25 years was showing, but thankfully, no one else but Kyra could see it. Rambling on like a love lost teenager is Ken’s only coping mechanism. His fingers are going even faster than his mouth usually is.

Are you okay? Is Adina okay? Can we fix this? I’ll do whatever I need to do to make this right, I promise. I never meant for you to get involved. You want me to beat Amber’s ass? Done. You want me to let her beat my ass? Done. I’ll try my best to let it go, if that’s what you want. I’m wiling tol do whatever I have to do. I’m not “He Who Shall Not Be Named.” I’m not leaving you. I’m not leaving Adina. I’m not abandoning us. Not for two months, two weeks, two days, two minutes, two seconds. Not for a moment.

For Ken’s sake, it was probably a good thing he wasn’t actually talking. He would have passed the fuck out halfway through it. The sad part is that he wasn’t done.

I love you. You are my everything. I wouldn’t be the man I am today without you. Just tell me what you want. Please.

It isn't very long before the phone dings once more in response.  To Ken it felt like hours had gone by, when in reality, it had only been a few minutes.  He nearly drops the phone, his hands are so slick with sweat. 

We'll talk when you get home.  Just be careful, okay?

Ken falls down into the office chair, emotionally exhausted.

Okay. I’m going to take a quick rest before I go. I don’t want to drive tired. I love you, mi corazon.

Ken sends the text and drops his phone, slumping back in the chair. ‘Get it together, man. What the deuce?’ For all of his various levels of psychosis over the years, this talking to himself was a new one. Slowly but surely, Ken pulls himself upright in the chair. He feels more unsure, and more defeated than he’s felt in a long time. In the back of his mind, he wonders if this has any hope of being fixed.

…Then he hears his phone ping again. Clear. Distinct. Like the luminescence provided by the lamp of a lighthouse, cutting through the fog with a sword of light. This could be a double edge sword, it could save him… or tear him apart. He stares down at it for a few moments, unsure. Eventually, he reaches down and picks it up with a shaky hand. 

I love you too.

Ken breathes a sigh of relief. He is still uncertain, but Kyra still loves him, so at least he’s got that. Ken pushes himself up with a renewed sense of purpose. He still would have to put of this fire, but at least it was under control. He grabbed his keys off the desk, a second time, this time with the certainty of where his destination was.

’Might as well put out one more fire.’ he thinks to himself as he picks up the rest of his belongings. He quickly dials a number into his phone and walks out the door, struggling to keep the phone up to his ear as he locks the door.

His tone is hushed and reserved, something out of character for him.

“Hey, Mac.”

Sometime later, we open to “Godly” Ken Davison sitting in the shade of an old oak tree to his right. His black sleeveless t-shirt is a stark contrast to the cool gray marble immediately behind him. Davison is leaning back, resting his weight on his elbows, blocking the sun with a pair of orange tinted sunglasses. As he has undoubtedly received the director's cue, he sits straight up, taking a moment to brush the grass off of his elbows before smiling warmly at the camera.

“They claim…” Ken says with a slow and very deliberate cadence, allowing each and every syllable to sync in. “That I am some kind of… monster. In some places, I have been blacklisted, despite the fact that I have done nothing wrong. People believe that my views are derelict. It is easier to sever ties than to stand on the right side of history. They would rather hang the activists than change their point of view. With one self-defense spinebuster, a new war started. It may not be a war for each and every one of for you, but it is a war for me. When I lace up my wrestling boots, I am lacing up my combat boots. I understand that people think less of me because of my actions. Those people need to understand that I don’t give two shits about what those people think.”

The tone as Ken releases the word “those” has so much disdain attached to it that it is palpable.

“While this may have started with Amber Ryan, this has absolutely nothing to do with Amber Ryan. Amber could have been anyone on the women’s roster, be it Masque de Luna, Roxxi Johnson or Myra Rivers…” Ken pauses, putting his hand on his chin and smiling wistfully. “Actually, I am fairly certain I owe her an ass whoopin’ from her Lynnwood days.”

“One word I’ve heard being thrown around about me in certain circles is the word “martyr.” Funny little word, martyr is. Coincidentally, it is also a tragically misunderstood word as well. The word, in and of itself, has evolved over the course of history. It has become one of the most emotive words in our vernacular. The word “martyr” has become twisted, distorted and perverted. The very ideology of martyrdom has always been connected to violence, though the reality is that violence has nothing to do with the equation. The original work came from the Greek language and meant “witness.” Its first usage was Biblical, describing the apostles whom had witnessed Christ’s life, death and resurrection. Down the line, it was passed onto those who, when arrested and placed on trial, showed the steadfast devotion to their faith to declare themselves as Christians in the court of the land. As such, it was then used to describe those who were executed for their zealousness.”

Davison pauses long enough to open up a bottle of water and take a gulp, whetting his gullet so that he may continue.

“I’m not going to sit here and pretend that I have that kind of faith in magical sky daddy, but I feel that to have the level of commitment in nothing more than an ideal is…” Another pause for the sake of word choice. “Admirable. We’ll go with that.”

“Now, Socrates! There’s a guy who I could really have gotten behind. In 399 BC, Socrates was put on trial and executed by the court of Athens for “charges of impiety and corrupting the youth.” In the great city of Athens, a city, might I add, known for political and intellectual liberty, Socrates was put to death for asking the children to think. If we were to follow the Bible to the letter, dangerous, I know. But, for the sake of establishing what is going on here, just run with it for a minute, whether you believe it or not. Proverbs 23:7 says “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” That means if you thought about harming another person, which we all know is something we do in our profession, you are impious. If you have ever wanted what someone else has, you have made the effort to steal it. If you have thought about sleeping with a woman, per the letter of Biblical law, you have done it. Who on this Earth would not be considered impious under those circumstances?”

“The real reason that Socrates was persecuted and martyred was not because of impiety or impropriety. The real reason was because of Socrates' constant criticism of the Athenian government, which had been in shambles since an oligarchic coup five years earlier in 404 BC. That is why those who understand me believe I will become a martyr; because I am willing to speak the truths that no other man or woman in this company has the spine to even think about, let alone discuss. Still, I am not a martyr. While I am willing to fall upon the proverbial sword, I do not intend to allow myself to be a victim.”

Davison rises, taking his robes off of the monument behind him. He nonchalantly begins placing his robe over his clothes, continuing his diatribe as though the world around him didn’t even exist.

“There are those who believe in the cause of a martyr. They will celebrate them, revere them, and build monuments for them… Yet, most of those who wish to become martyrs do so by more violent means. They do not deserve the veneration they receive from others. It is the deliberate courting of death that is sinful. The worthy would be gifted martyrdom by God. To try and achieve martyrdom by one’s own efforts is an act of defiance. People such as that did not volunteer for death, they provoked it in the name of their cause. They smashed idols, disrupted pagan rituals and assaulted temple priests knowing they would die in the ensuing violence. The ideology of martyrdom had shifted subtly – for some, martyrs did not simply die for God, now they killed and terrorized in his name.”

“Obviously, I am not going to murder anyone. Regardless, I have no issues with taking extreme measures. Agostino Romano, Ben Jordan, and Austin James Mercer have all encountered me in various states of being. Agostino and Austin James Mercer have seen me at my apex. Ben Jordan caught me on the opposite end of that spectrum, as I have shown, I do not fall back. I do not hide behind my failures. I’ve found that you don’t get anywhere in life without taking risks. Walking into a match against the quality of the opponents in this match is a risk. But risk is nothing new to me. When I chose to start in this business, that was a risk. When I decided to leave school and get my GED at 16, that was a risk. When I decided to forgo college because of my crazy dream, that was a risk. Everyone told me, “Honey, make sure you have something to fall back on.” Those words, they always bothered me. “Make sure you have something to fall back on.” Why in the hell would I do that? The only thing I will ever fall back on is my faith. My stubborn ass wants to fall forward.”

Ken adjusts his collar, today a vibrant tangerine, matching perfectly his glasses. He still has a smug look on his face.

““Reggie Jackson holds the record for the most strikeouts in Major League Baseball history. The man had 2,597 strikeouts. Do you ever hear about that? No. You hear about all of the home runs. You hear about ‘Mr. October.’ You hear about game six of the 1977 World Series when he hit three home runs off of three different pitchers. Why? Because he fell forward.”

“Then you have Thomas Edison. It took him 1,001 tries to create the light bulb. Every time, he took a risk by changing something. Every risk brought him closer to his goal. He fell forward.”

“When Carnage Wrestling closed down, I took a huge risk by coming here to Sin City Wrestling. I left everything that I knew, changed all of my routines because I wanted to come here and become a champion. I walked into this company and busted my ass to get to where I am today. I didn’t get here by succeeding. I got here by failing. Every match I have lost has been fuel for all of the matches I have won. I didn’t get my World Championships by winning. I got them by losing. Back in Carnage, I got my ass whooped by Amber Ryan. Yes, our…”
Ken pauses, allowing the sarcasm to escape his lips, despite his best efforts. beloved Amber Ryan. Later, when I got my Carnage World Championship opportunity against Amber Ryan, I was a man possessed. I remembered what she had done to me and I used that energy to motivate myself. Because of Amber Ryan, I fell forward.”

“You all have seen how this comeback has gone for me. I went from top of the mountain to struggling to get where I am. The thing is when I stand in that ring, with this level of determination. I am unstoppable. What that means for you five asshats is that I am the better man. You have no chance to beat me. Zilch. Zero. Nada. Nothing. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. The fact of the matter is that I have spent my  entire career making the people who doubt me look like fools. You gentlemen think that you can take me down?”

Davison practically snorts in disgust.

“Just fucking try.”

Offline Alexander Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 12:57:12 AM »

Scene One
Kings and Failures

On Camera | 07/05/2022

“To be King, is not just to rule. It is to lead with divine right. How fitting that in the land of failed rulers, marred by the murk of conquested restructure and manipulation of history that our own King shall be named. King for a Day? How apropos that is. There is none that stand among us as the true king. Much like the much contested origin of the Macedonian King, Alexander the Great, so too is the conflict for the meaningless mockery of a day title. No, we stand here in the land of risen and fallen kingdoms, empires and failed experiments of human sacrifice, bloodletting and oppression. A true king leads by example, rules with empathy and understanding, but is chosen by his divine right of birth. Luck plays as much as conquest.”

“To be King for a day, is to mock the very tribulations that I have overcome. I will ascend the ladder, as my own broken prophecies have deigned. I will take the crown, but for a day? No, I will make them see the folly of their ways. Empty words some might say. Perhaps. Yet my mind has not been focused has it? Obsessed with the past. Obsessed with the direction of where I have been, compared to where I am. Where I am meant to be. The one true king, yes. The most successful of generals know the sting of defeat. The most successful of kings know what it is to lose. Forged in fire, is the path of success. Focused is what I have become. Understanding of the shortcomings that lead to this. Lessons taught by the lesser are still lessons to be understood.”

“I mocked the dog, and caught its bite. A mangy mutt to be put down, and avenged I shall be. Yet lessons taught must be learned unless willing to accept the insanity of a returned fate over and over. The pigeon man will control his birds only so far as he draws breath. To keel is to allow yourself food for the birds themselves. Ravens are loyal, but food is paramount. I have felt the sting of the beak, the peck of the mind. I have felt the crown snap from the brutality of what is presented. Broken body brings us to this fate. The wolf howls and the pack mangles. Yet the head will always protect the lesser first. To be mangled by the jowls of the prime pack animal is a blessing and a curse. Like the spartans of old, to become a man, survival is key. Understanding that the wolf is not as dangerous as the man. Understanding that the bite is far worse than the bark, and your bite must be more. Kings are no more than the lesser man with the power to lead. King for a day? No, King eternal until the final dawn breaks.”

“Listen to this, and listen well. Bulldog, Knox, Fenris. I thank all for the lessons taught. Lessons that have opened my eyes. Lessons that will be passed on, and forced learning begins. I am Alexander Raven. I will open the eyes of the world. I will make them see. The crown of bone and flesh that rests upon mine own head, is not one of fiction. Yet one born of a necessity. I will make them understand. I will make them follow. I will make them see. My eyes are open, and with open eyes there is but one thing to do.”

“Five men stand before my rights of retribution. Five men will battle for the right to be king, yet they do not understand their folly. Focused and ready. The bird soars high. A ladder acts as my mountain, and atop that mountain the crown I seek. Ken Davison, Mark Cross, Ben Jordan, Austin James Mercer and Agostino Romano. The Godly Ken Davison seeks his divine right as the king of kings. The king of the track, the jovial Romano seeks to be master across many. To Cross the king is to leave yourself Marked. Like many before him, King James seeks to be the next, and like many others a Jordan who fails to live to the success of the master. Reality, gentleman. Understand that this is not your day. This is not your night. This is not your time. In this, the land of mythos and kings, you will face this one truth. Alexander Raven is here to stay. Alexander Raven will not be laughed at anymore. Alexander Raven is the king of your future.”

“In this land of foregone kings and failed revolutionaries. I will make a stand. There will be a King they can be proud of. There will be a reality that they can acknowledge as the one truth. No more will their failures. Even the greatest of kings one day fell. Like my namesake before me, and the kindred bird of my family name. I will stand as king, and I will return greatness to it.
Alexander the Great, will be known as the One True King, for I am great, my name is Alexander Raven.”

“All hail the king.”

Scene Two
Eye Opening

Off-Camera | 01/05/2022

“I don’t relish this Mr Raven. I don’t relish this at all. Yet you need to be broken, you understand? For only from a broken mind can you be built back up. From a broken body you can mend the bone and sinew. From broken, you can be full once again. Let me help you, Mr Raven. Let us help you.”

The sound of flesh on flesh. The crack of the knuckle to the stomach. Raven heaved, coughing violently. Pleasant and Rines were anything but gentle. Yet they always got him to where he needed to be.

“Again.”

Rines grunted, his white pressed shirt beginning to spot with sweat. Alex was unsure how long today’s lesson had been. Hell he wasn’t sure how long most of the lessons were. His body was sore and bruised. Impressively they never managed to hurt him too much, but it was enough to remind him. Remind him that pain could be overcome. That nothing was too much. Yet at the same time…

The smack of the fists to his stomach began again, the crack of a fist across his cheek. Then again. And again. Blood caked his face, yet he was no longer sure what was his, and what was that of Rines. His knuckles bloodied themselves across his flesh, over and over.

“Who are you?”

“Alexander Raven.”

Alex managed to croak out, Sullivan’s knuckles clashing against the side of his head. The backhand hurt more than almost any of the other strikes. His eyes blurred and his mind dizzied. Water thrown over his head, bringing some momentary relief.

“I asked, who are you?”

“I am Alexander Raven.”

Again the smack of Rines fist into his stomach, he leaned forward as much as he could. Being tied to a chair, arms restrained. It made it difficult to really lean into the pain. Sullivan grabbed and yanked at his hair, pulling his head back, straining the neck.

“Who are you?”

“I’m the fucking king. I am Alexander god damn fucking Raven!

Sullivan smiled, letting his hair go. Rines loosened the binds, and he could finally keel forward, holding his stomach in agony. Water was placed beside him. He took the bottle and drank deeply, heaving and struggling to catch his breath. Today was harder than normal. Sullivan slowly dragged a moist towel against his face, cleaning away the blood.

“Never, ever forget who you are, Mr Raven. Never again will you forget. Open their eyes. Open their damn eyes.”

Sullivan smiled, his taut features pulled tightly across his sharp bones. The ghoulish smile was never really reassuring. A man of discomfort at the best of times. He placed the towel upon his shoulder and lightly tapped him on the side of the face.

“We’ll be watching.”

With that, the two men, Pleasant and Rines, turned and left their lesson. Alex lay on the floor, the cold cement of the warehouse floor was soothing on his burning aches. Recovery time. He would become King. A king must be in fit shape.

Scene Three
Pecking Order

On-Camera | 07/05/2022

“We in this world have a bad habit. We establish a hierarchy in our minds.”

“We speak things into existence and believe them the truth. I am not innocent of this. I speak of myself as a messiah, a king, a leader therefore I am. I am a messiah, a king, a leader. The truth of reality becomes obscured by the actions we take. Competition breaks the mental barriers we build and we reconstruct our own narrative to suit that of which we tell ourselves so as to keep moving forward. We lie to ourselves in lieu of the truth, for only in the lies does our reality stop bending to this false nature of this narrative. I am a liar among liars. Pathological in a sense. I cannot remember the real truth I spoke, yet in this. I have forced my own narrative to be as such. I do not just say I am a messiah, king and leader. I become a messiah, king and leader. Many tyrants across history do the same. They wish so much to be the one above all others that they believe. They become true to their lies, so that they no longer lie. That is what differs a true king from a false one. The pathological liar will become true, yet the false will fall asunder to allow the way for the next. Just like the gods fell, so too, shall we.”

“‘Ken Davison. Godly, in name. A proclamation more grandiose than even my own. Yet backing it up is your truth. A king among kings, one used to the slaughter of birds.  Yet in this, the land of many gods, I ask you. When you stand in Athens, do you feel akin to Athena? Are you the giver of grapes, or the provider of salt water? Athena in her infinite wisdom did win the contest of the king of the seas. A gift to the people, to name the land on which they rest. Will you provide salty water to the people who look upon you. Souring their taste and purging their appreciation? Or are you a giver of the grapes? The one who they will thank and honour? Do you want to know what I think Ken?”

A well sits in the middle of a small field. Its body is decaying, yet it still stands. In front of the well is a small table, upon which a plate of grapes sits.

“You’re the Poseidon here. So cocksure that you will give the people a well of salt water, and aggressively declare yourself victorious. Yet when you open your eyes. When you finally see what I’m saying, you will understand. Athens was never yours to own, and it will never honour you. The gods will fall to the power of man, and the king of kings will stand above the others. Godly, is laughable Ken. Humanity needs to acknowledge their own humanity, and that extends for us who are most deluded. I ask you not as a worshiper but as an equal, to bow out. Open your eyes, and look. Do you see me now Ken? I will make everyone see me.”

“Everyone will see me, Ken. I am Athena. I am Ares. I am Zeus. I am the king, and I am the leader. I am the One True King, and I will bow to no more. Reality has come, and I will not be ignored. Everyone seems to think little of me, yet everyone has my damn name in their mouth. Everyone is obsessed with putting me out, and that is telling Ken. Who is the real danger here, but the Raven himself?”

“Open your damn eyes.”

The sound of thunder booms, blinding light obscuring everything. As the world returns, the well lays crumbled and in tatters, the beam that holds the pail alight with fire, embering slowly. The grapes however, remain untouched. Bright and purple, they stand immune to the destruction that surrounds them.

“Agostino. We cross paths again it should seem. In a manner befitting a repeat of the first.  A plethora of bodies stand between us, and perhaps for the best. You know better than most in this match, that my words are backed by a real pound of flesh. You’ve been lucky enough to have your eyes opened already . You’ve seen, but you have not listened. For if you had, you would not be standing across from me again. If you were following, you would be face down at home acknowledging your own failures. Yet, here you stand once more.”

“Championships have bonded us together before, and I would believe they will again. For if you were king for a day, I wonder where you would place yourself. In the path of the Roulette title, the opportunity I took from you? Perhaps another shot at your coveted Internet championship, one you have failed to retain, over and over. Or, maybe you think yourself a true king. Maybe you would place yourself in the pathway of the main events victor.  Who will it be? Perhaps thoughts not meant for this time, for the reality is this Agostino. Though we share initials, we are nothing alike. You are a worm in my world. A worm that won’t die no matter how much it is stepped upon. So I will feast, like the raven does upon the worm. I will feast and I will win. I will throw your carrion to the flock and the reality will become tantamount. You are nothing before me. You will remain nothing before me. You are… nothing.”

A championship belt, sitting upon a velvet cloth atop a small podium. In the centre of a wrestling ring. The initials AR curved into the face plate in large cursive letters.

“Yet history tends to repeat doesn’t it, Agostino. The champion will win again, just as he will lose again. Just as you have won the Internet Championship, you continue to lose it. Repetition of fate is unfortunately the cruelest mistress of destiny. Forever doomed to repeat Agostino, you will happily throw yourself down the stairs, over and over. A fool seeking new recourse for a repeating insanity. Yet this is also where we differ, isn’t it my fellow? Whereas you will forever throw yourself down into your own delusional reality, fractured and separated. Yet as insane as the nature of it all. I won’t repeat a mistake. I refuse to repeat mistakes. I hope you understand Agostino, that where you and I differ, is a victory for me will end differently to the last, whereas the next loss shall not be the same the one before. Keep your eyes to the sky my friend, for night comes for you. Open your eyes.”

A leg from the shadows beside the spotlight. The table knocked over and the belt was thrown into the darkness. Nothing but a toppled table remaining in the light. The leg disappearing back into nothingness.

“Mark Cross. I do not know if you understand the symbolism of your own name here. Marked for the cross, like the King of Jewish persons. Like Jesus was crucified, you too are marked for death and rebirth. Will you willingly take the crown, knowing it is the thorns of it that cut into your flesh? Will you reach for the success that you feel yourself marked for. I wonder, Cross, if you understand anything here. Are you listening to me? Are you following me? I need you to understand. I need you to follow. I need you to listen. Open your eyes, and look at me.”

“You are marked by me, Cross. The crosshairs are fixated upon you, and the fixation will put you in the firing line. Symbolism is rampant in this here, land of the gods. The city of the Goddess herself. This is a reality that you need to acknowledge and understand. I don’t care to know you, Mark. I really do not. Yet, like the false deity, and the laughable petulant child, you too, stand in the way. I wonder Mark. Are you a man of analogy yourself? Metaphor? Do you accept your own reality, or like all of us, do you stand here as a liar? A liar about his own reality. A man who deserves to stand beside the rest of us false idols, looking to realise ourselves, if only for a day. Will you be the marked one by fate? I wonder.”

A podium, a stained glass window illuminated behind it. A man with a black cloth draped over his face. A goblet in one hand, a crown of barbed wire sitting upon his head.

”Ideology will lead many men to do many things. Mark Cross, you are blessed with an unfortunate name. To be marked for the cross, is to crown yourself. To be marked for death, is to be the one held for martyrdom upon the cross. Whilst not the king and god of this land, the truth is ever the same. The Romans were not the natives of Israel, yet it is they who passed judgment upon him who was born of Nazareth. Such as he was marked for the cross, you too, shall be marked for my ascension at your sacrifice. Mark Cross, please know, I harbor no ill will. I am a forgiving tyrant. I am a pleasant dictator. Yet I am also a vengeful ruler. I will lead, and it will be the blood of those who mock who will pave the way to my success. There is but one dragon in my work, Mark. You are not the one who wore the title of Stygian. You will never be the Black Dragon himself, and I refuse to acknowledge you as anything but another false idol among many. A liar amongst liars. A man marked for my cross.”

The sound of a gun firing. The glass window shattering, shards of glass exploding out of the window frame. The coloured rain of glass falls upon the man standing at the podium, slowly tearing at his clothes and cutting the flesh beneath. The goblet catching many shards.

“Austin James Mercer, King James III. Names hold such power, do they not? I wonder King James, if you know the power of your own? My best friend, the Barracuda as he was known, shares your namesake. King James. He too was a king, a king for many and himself. The king of the bar, the king of the ring. A true king among men, with a tongue as slick as ice. A man I could respect, a man I could look up to. A man who would climb any ladder put before him and stare down at the filth that lay beneath it. A true king, for any man who requires people to worship, is closer to a king than almost any other. Do you demand the respect and adulation of those around you, Austin?”

“Time proceeds onwards, regardless of that. Like the many kings before, they too shall fall. King Leonidas of the Spartans would rise and fall to the armies of Persia. Alexander the Great too, was the Third of his line. Alexander III of Macedon. Yet do we acknowledge the insidious passings of the brother here? Do you fear a friend taking that of which you hold dear? Who would be your Ptolemy, King James? I wonder, do you even understand the symbolism? I never used to think myself one for analogy, for metaphor. Yet it turns out my whole existence is about it. About making connections, questioning those on their unknowns and asking the most obvious. Are you listening to me, Austin James Mercer? Are your eyes open? Open your eyes to me.”

Two men, faces covered in cloth once more. Sitting at a small table, goblets in front of them. Laughter, joviality, happiness. They tip the goblets over their heads, allowing the red wine to cover them, soaking the cloth.

“Bathe in it, Mercer. The possibilities before us, are endless, are they not? You stand in a ring with kings innumerable, and have the chance to seize the crown above them all. Champions, winners, and men of violent success. This is the reality that is before us, and it is ours for the taking. Yet I know, deep down, just like you know. Just like Agostino, and the godly one. Just like the one marked for martyrdom and the one who shares greatness. Insanity will break us, and it will enslave. You are just like the rest. Eyes closed, and unable to lead. Not yet ready to the be the truth that stands above. Symbolism is important, for the king who rules for a day can carve a lineage that none others will touch. The king who stands above the kings will be the truth. I am the One True King, King James. I am, not you. Not any of you. You will fall beneath the boot, I can damn well promise it. Open your damn eyes to me.”

“Open them to me!”

The two men throw their goblets aside, and launch at each other. Tumbling and wrestling as they grab at each others throats, attempting to suffocate the other.

“Ben Jordan. Another, like Mark Cross, to be a recent king. Ben, I hold you last for no qualm. There must always be a last, mustn’t there? I wonder, Ben. Did you hope to be last? No there is a reason, I hold you last Ben. For a man once took my crown, as he did yours. Griffin Hawkins owes us both a debt of blood, Ben. Like he stole your crown, he once stole mine. Yet I almost feel he neglects the fact I ever existed. Perhaps because his own friends once spat upon him too. To forget the life that he once had was easier than accepting the life that is. Just like you, and I, he too is delusional. Yet in this, I feel a kinship, Ben. A kinship of failure. A kinship of building disillusionment and anger. Rage builds and dwells in my breast like it would any man, woman, child, any one. Any person, any being. I harbor hate against you Ben, for you too, know my pain.”

“Anyone who knows my pain, knows that failure is unacceptable. That to avenge the losses of the past, one must ensure those that failed equally, fall beneath their own boot. You, Ben. You must fall beneath my boot to assuage the anger that builds in my heart. I must be better than the one who took my crown. If that means I must beat every person who also fell to the kingslayer in my existence, so be it. For I will be the truth at the end of the day, and I can guarantee that. For you know what this allows me? Redemption. I get one step closer to breaking Hawkins. If Knox wins in the main event, my choice of my own future match is clear. I will become king of Sin City. Not for a day, but for life. This match is far more to me than the ascension of a ladder. This is magnum opus of my words. Of the things I’ve stated. Of all the promises I’ve made yet to come true. Ben Jordan, are you understanding what I’m saying? Are you watching me?”

Alexander Raven sits upon the top of a ladder, straddling the top of it. Upon his head sits his broken and cracked pointed crown. A small raven skull at the very front of it. A smile stretched across his face, his hair pulled back tightly. His face clean shaven, his eyes focused, bubbling with an under lying anger.

“Athens is where I begin my path. Finally begin my path. I hope Knox doesn’t let me down. I hope that you give me the challenge I need in preparation for my pathway to redemption. I will snap the beak of the bird, rip the wings of the mythical beast, neuter the bitch and snap the wolf’s jaws. You will be the stepping stone of my pathway to my eternal ascension. This is finally the day that I know. The truth I know. Ben Jordan, the victim of the mythical creature such as I. You will fall to my boot. Open your eyes Ben.”

“All of you. Open your eyes.”

Alex takes the crown from his head, and lifts it high above himself. Holding it aloft. Slowly tilting his head back,and closing his eyes. He grips it tightly before pulling it in two, snapping it cleanly in half.

“Do you see me now?”

Darkness.

Silence.

Nothing.

Offline The Dragon

• View Profile
    • Mark \
The Sound of Silence
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 08:18:26 PM »
Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're giving none away

Alice and John brought two sons, Keith, and Peter into the world.

Both children eventually did the same, Keith bearing a son, and Peter a daughter.

Keith stayed close to his parents, and was there at their every beck and call, while Peter moved elsewhere.

Alice and John made their Last Will and Testament. Their wishes were for the brothers to split everything 50/50. If anything happened to one of them, their share would pass to their child.

In the biggest surprise of all, Keith was the first to lose his life, aged just 58, to a sudden heart attack. Alice came next, followed by John. Following the settlement of the Cross family estate, Keith’s son was due to receive 50%.

John…aged 91 at the time, had been pressured into changing his Will, and Mark didn’t receive a penny.

I didn’t need it of course, but it’s the principle of me…the memory of my Dad…and the wishes of my Grandparents being fucked over by some money-grabber I’m supposed to consider ‘family’ to me.

Let me tell you one thing…I would give up EVERYTHING in a heartbeat. Dream house, dream car, watch collection, every penny I’ve made and every single material object I own for the chance of one more hour with my Dad. You can take it all if I could have one last pint of beer with him…catch one more soccer game…one last adventure as ‘The Cross Brothers’ as to be honest a lot of the time, I thought of him more like an older brother or a best mate anyway.

I don’t view death in terms of how much I’m going to profit from it…

…because as much as I’d admit I am beyond materialistic in so many ways, there’s no doubt in my mind that I want the person. The memories. The love that wasn’t always spoken, but was always so very much there.

My Dad said to his parents that he didn’t want their money, told them to spend it all, enjoy it…sell their property and spend every penny of their equity too, he didn’t want a single penny out of them. In his eyes it was theirs, they’d earned it, and if he were to take anything out of his relationship from them, the very last thing on his list of their priorities was that…and from what my Mum told me years later, if he had been given anything? He’d have passed it on to me anyway.

My Dad and I…as it turned out…were very much aligned in our thought process in the end. I was more impulsive, obviously, and I still am…but I had his head screwed on my shoulders.

I completely and totally disagree with the statement that money can’t buy you happiness. That phrase needs to die in my opinion.

“Money can’t ALWAYS buy you happiness.”

That’s better. As we established last week, I am not a neurotypical human being. There are aspects of my psyche that affect my quality of life in certain areas or more specifically…the quality of the relationships I could form.

Forming a healthy relationship with money was something I could always control. It was a tangible thing, I could hold it, and something my parents drilled into me early was how money worked. How to save for things I wanted, and then decide if it was worth those X number of weeks of allowance I’d stashed to buy it in the first place. That was important to me early on in my sporting career too. I came into the NFL on a multi-million dollar a year contract, effectively. I was unproven, but I played a skill position, which almost by default unlocked the big bucks.

Now what they don’t tell you about these contracts is that while they may have a $X figure attached to them, that is subject to achieving a number of set goals, that money was far from guaranteed, tied up in various performance clauses before they get unlocked. Now I was lucky in that regard, I played every game in my four seasons in the league, I hit most everything I was expected to…but I’d see guys, most of them in fact, who saw that final dollar value and they’d go and spend and spend and spend like THAT was what they were going to get at the end of the year.

One bad injury was all it took - Bye bye performance bonuses, sometimes bye bye career.

I told myself right away that I was not going to spend a single cent I did not have. That meant no spending hoping I’d hit my performance numbers and get the money later, nothing on a lease, nothing financed. If the money was not in my bank account, I did not buy the thing…and oh TRUST ME the number of things I missed out on acquiring…I had a miss-list up the Ying-Yang, one or two of the watches during that time? So rare that they haven’t come up again…but it’s the only way it could be. Mom and Dad taught me well.

I had to make sure that I protected myself.  I wanted to make sure that I could continue on with a lifestyle I'd started to get used to. Truth is if I don't work another day of my life, I can still carry on and do the things that I want to….travel where I want to, see the world, continue to experience new and exciting things. I may not fly First Class everywhere, but I don’t know. If it’s a few hours I’ll fly coach. The place where I lay my head may cost me less than 200 bucks a night but hey, same story. I want to be out drinking in the place I’m at, all I use that room for is to sleep in, why waste it? Materialistic or not, the boring side of things is that I have based my financial priorities on sound investments and smart spending, generally…with the odd extravagant purchase of a boat here and there, but we have to learn the hard way don't we.

Money doesn’t buy my happiness. It just gets those annoying adult problems out of the way.

Money has brought me memories, earned me experiences that'll never forget. It's bought me  quality time with people that have had a positive impact in my life. It's helped me, travel to see, to explore. There are ups and downs too, it  got divided in half when ‘to have and to hold ended before death did us part’ and like the rising tide it comes and it goes and then it comes again. It isn't the be all and end all but from clearing debts to a little retail therapy, it can make a lot of things better.

I've made my money, but money doesn't make me. It never has, it never will. I may be selfish, really selfish in fact, when I can't see past my own face, but one thing that I hope I will never be is greedy. I hope I can help people. I will take those opportunities as much as I can.

Stepping out the spotlight doesn't scare me. I'm not stuck in this trap, nor do I need to keep making more and more money every time. I don't need to stretch a lot longer than my body can last. I can get out and I can enjoy life or look for new opportunities...and you know what if opportunities aren't there I can stay in Florida, work on my golf swing, and get over-weight and be very happy with what I already have.

There's a running joke with my Dad, about whether he was adopted, or whether he was the milkman's son, since he seemed to stand so far apart from the rest of the Cross family. Well if that's the case I would like to think I'm that milkman's grandson,and if he's anything like my Dad was, then I'm gutted I never got the chance to meet him.

Don't put money over memories or family or friends. Don't turn into my Uncle.

The Sound of Silence

A solid black screen. No music, no graphics, just darkness, and a voice of pure Britishness.

Well…this week was downright fucking disappointing. Since half of you greeted us with the sound of silence this week? I’m not going to bother switching the camera on. Let’s make it a nice, dull, boring low budget affair. To think of the bullshit I get for ‘not selling hard enough’ well this effort has been pretty pathetic.

Sometimes…in matches like this…you just want your opponents to give you something, y’know? Like make my job just a little bit easier…save me having to dig further back through the archives to try and guess where your mind might be at. Stunning three men to sheer silence, already? I have to say that maybe…just maybe…it’s a little too early for that. Especially when one in particular is so…out-of-character.

Now Ben…a little like me, not often one to grab a microphone in anger, rarely seen marching down to the ring with it to set the world to rights, but we normally would have had a public address from him now, or at the very least one of his comedy skits, which seem to be pretty commonplace for these two-week run-ins to the Supershow. I don’t really know if this is hyper-focus or lack of focus at this point and while the competition is fierce, I have to lean towards option two.

After all, if there were anything I might criticise the Cockney King for the most? It’s a certain lack of focus at times.

I feel like Ben and Evie, much the same…spending a little too much time out in Maine, chowing down on those lobster rolls, never losing that touch in the ring, of course even if it gets a little rusty…only to find that when they decide to get back out there, the ring gear doesn’t quite fit like it used to, and it takes a certain amount of catching up just to get back to where they were before they left.

Elite prize fighters usually cut down to fighting weight in training camps for maybe two, three matches per year and you know what, done right? That can work out really well for those guys but hey…here’s the thing. This is wrestling, not boxing, and there’s very few of us saving ourselves for those few elite bouts per year as for a lot of us? We can expect two or three matches per week. In this very ring, at Supershows, I’ve had SCU and SCW duties to juggle, it literally meant two matches per night. You can imagine how big the party was after picking up two victories on one of the biggest nights on the calendar, that’s for sure.

My point here is this - Boxers and MMA fighters, generally? They’ll work a similar schedule. The intense work happens in fight camp, outside of that it’s general technical and conditioning work. Two guys locking horns, coming off a (relatively) similar programme. In wrestling there is a much bigger disparity. Here guys split their time elsewhere, other careers…Agostino has his motorbikes to ride, for example, part-time schedules, you name it, or Ben Jordan…who comes around when enough motivation happens to be there…and this poses an interesting question…just what difference does that make?

Now I’m a firm believer that ability and experience count for a hell of a lot in this game. Level whatever criticism you want my way but people don’t fluke their way into titles very often and Ben is no different. He’s proven that when he steps between those ropes he is absolutely the real deal, take nothing away from him on that BUT…what if that isn’t the deciding factor. What if you throw a few guys in a ring with World title pedigree…all have the ability, all have the experience…what sets them apart? Is it just luck of the draw, a game of rock, paper, scissors?

…or is it the little things, the intangibles, the things that might sway a contest by even a couple of measly percentage points. The way I figure, I have two of them on my side. First off, in preparation. I may not have been here, but I’ve not rested on my laurels for one single second. You know the benefits of staying in Miami? I’m in my gym, in my environment, with my equipment. I can work my full programme, not cobbling something together from whatever the local Planet Fitness has to offer…it means recovering the way I know works best, hot tub and swimming pool literally right outside my property. It means never skipping a day, because anything I might want to fill my time with is right on my doorstep…and it means I know a whole bunch of guys who can get me a match, within driving distance, at the drop of a hat.

I have preparation on my side for one. I don’t drop in and drop out of my schedule when I see fit, I just live in it, permanently. My longest lay-off was 12 weeks…knee injury…after the last time Ben and I faced off it turns out and those first few matches, coming back? They were tough-going. It’s like that extra little push that was there in the tank before, when I needed it most? It was that much harder to dredge up. It took a long while for that to come back. It just shows, all it takes is a couple of weeks of foot off the gas and suddenly it takes MONTHS to get back to where you were. Ring rust shakes off way quicker, a couple of matches, but the ability to dig deep? That takes a whole lot of consistent work.

I couldn’t help but notice Ben getting a little star-struck over the arrival of “Chronic” Chris Page a couple of weeks back. So sweet, so wholesome…right down to that moment where your eyes locked on the outside of the ring. Shame you weren’t sitting down to a candlelit fucking dinner out there Ben, there was still a wrestling match to win.

I have to admit…I’ve been in your situation before…with Taylor Swift…because I used to have a poster of her ON MY CEILING so I could wake up to her every morning. At least…until my wife at the time stepped in and I had to take it down. That was the one time I’ve fumbled the ball talking to someone famous, I babbled my way through the most awkward fangirl little speech, and I vowed never to try and speak to her again.

I face Chris…in just under a month’s time at the Backyard-O-Rama. “Both legends in this great sport, who have done pretty much anything and everything there is to do, look to show the young-ins how it’s done” that’s how it’s been billed. Chris says I’m one of the few people that he doesn’t take lightly…and without seeing the rest of the card I’ve already called it the match of the night.

Mutual respect is very much allowed. Fangirling is not, and unfortunately both of our former World champions do that a little too much.

You know what grinds my gears a little more than it should, in the run-in to a match? A little too much respect. I get it, of course. Austin shares a similar view that I, and a number of others have already voiced regarding the World title defence but come on…

Come Into the Void, Austin? You’re gonna have to hit me.

I shouldn’t complain about anyone putting me up on a little pedestal, letting their own feelings of self-doubt rattle around in their heads and all that, but where’s the challenge in beating someone, when they’re already seeing me beating them in their own heads. Not only is that a wrong strategy, but it’s interesting to note you still have me all wrong still.

Wishy washy approach to wrestling?

That's not quite right. There's a real difference between a wishy washy approach to wrestling, and one to the business of wrestling. I think this is the point that you're trying to make about me. Look I'll admit, The amount of merchandise that the Sin City shop sells isn't a huge concern of mine, and you know what? If the names in the match are big enough, and the stakes are high? I’m very much a believer that the match sells itself. It’s my job in that instance to be as prepared as possible, and ready to make it every bit the barn-stormer it’s meant to be. I don't need to force my face onto a screen just to make that happen. That’s a business thing. It’s not a wrestling thing, and while I agree, both have to intertwine…when it comes to the elite level of competition I’m due to face? I’d rather focus my own energy on that.

Now you can say what you want about my approach to wrestling but that will be at your peril. The times I've walked into a ring completely unprepared In the last decade, you could probably count on two hands. Considering the amount of last minute bookings I take, that’s a pretty mean feat…I study, I research, I gameplan. You can say what you want about where I spend my time too, but one thing is for certain…my attitude towards the art of wrestling, the competition that happens in the centre of the ring has never changed…and that is exactly how I ended up World champion in the first place…all after dragging a rookie through a whole tournament to earn my spot. Proving you’re the best man in the company at the time? That takes a whole lot of work…and that work doesn’t involve picking up microphones and sending promotional Tweets. Trust me.

You wanna tell me that it was luck? Right place, right time? You’re welcome to try but that's your mistake to make. Nothing about what I do is fluke. Guys who sell out first and train later, maybe it’s fluke for them, but it would take a very brave man or woman to say that anything that happens for me is by chance. I earn everything I get. I work for everything I want. If something is handed to me on a silver platter well you know what I would rather just pass on it. I feel like I should be offended, but then I remember you're my opponent. I guess maybe I should just let you fall on your own sword after all.

Respect me, don't respect me whatever you know who the two danger men are in this match. After all you’ve been there and done it, right? You stood there at the top of the tree like both Ben and I. You know what it takes to be a champion and, If you were taking that into account, you might not be saying it was just a case of right place, right time…but you see Austin…I’ve seen this game before. It’s like a Wolfslair tactic honestly, as you all have a little touch of this. You’re so cocksure of yourself, and of your chance of success…as long as it’s an opponent you think you can beat…and then you get someone you can’t. A Ben Jordan, or me…and you tried pulling this against me last time…it’s like suddenly you go all humble, you grow a modicum of respect for your opponent as if laying the foundations, as if losing to them is going to be okay after all.

That’s fine - I’ll let you have your narrative, I’ll add a footnote to it for you now. You will not become King for a Day, I assure you of that, because you’re sharing the ring with me. You can talk about your title reigns all you want but not all World champions are created equal, and the length of a run only tells a part of the story. You may think you’re part of the club for what you once did, but this is a game where you still have to get results to stay relevant, and on recent form? I don’t think you can go toe-to-toe with me, in my current form…without Tempest in your corner.

You seem ready to play your part again - I will absolutely play mine in making sure you don’t ascend.

Ken…I have to tell you something…and this may shatter your whole world…You are NOT facing Amber Ryan, okay? Whatever the fuck you do, please don’t watch a bunch of tape on Amber Ryan and get surprised by ‘hey who’s this Mark Cross guy and why has he kneed me really hard in the face a whole bunch of times, this wasn’t supposed to happen, this wasn’t part of the script? I can tell you someone who isn’t part of the script and that’s AMBER FUCKING RYAN. Christ on a bike.

You have a bit of an obsession, buddy…and I thought it was me that was supposed to have the reputation for screwing with other people’s wives. Ha - Guess everyone is showing us their real truth this week.

I get it, she’s very impressive, but here’s one for you…who does someone like that concern themselves with?  You know that’s something that you need to look at, and think about. Who does the likes of Amber Ryan fear? The answer to that is probably no-one, so onto the next question. What kind of person would she rather sidestep?

Now I've come across many legends of this game. I've stood on the opposite side of the ring to them and you know what the pretty common theme running through all those encounters is? They know I'm not someone to take lightly.

I spoke about it with Ben before and it's a balancing act. There is a certain level of respect that you should have for all of your opponents. From that baseline, some of them earn it more than others. Yeah, I have plenty of people that would like to wipe the smirk off my face but how many of them would actually want to take that match really? Talk is cheap when you don’t actually have to put up and your situation is exactly the same. You can chunter away all you want about Amber Ryan because it turns out, you’re safe. No intergender matches, so she’s not going to be able to button that lip of yours.

Me on the other hand? Well you seem to be a little more quiet on me and honestly I can’t blame you. Try not to piss me off, in case I paint a target on your back and come after you first and foremost. You have no choice but to get in there with me, but I guess you hope you can slip out under the radar and avoid the worst of my wrath.

I might host a straw pole at some point, go around and ask wrestlers would you rather face,  this person or this person. You can ask Ben, you can ask Austin You could ask Fenris, Mac, Amber, hell you can even ask Chris Page if you want. As much as people may say they wanna get a piece of me, I think if you laid it out on the table, very few are going to choose me over <Enter any name here>

Nobody actually wants to get put opposite me and I understand. Who would want to take on a guy that has unflappable confidence? A guy that proves time and time again that he is World title material. Who would wanna take on a guy that week in week out puts in the exact same elite level of performance, who never skips a training day, who never has a ‘bad day at the office’ , who is never under-prepared, who never gets caught off guard. He will take on anything and anyone, even if it’s conquering his own damn fear of heights in a ladder match, challenge accepted. Who can turn the tide of a match in one or two manoeuvres.

All this talk of moving forward…and you’re trying to tie it into Mr. October? Well first of all it’s May…but are you trying to tell us you're the wrestling version of Reggie Jackson? The truth is …this isn't baseball and when you come to a wrestling show, you don't get 3 or 4 at-bats. You get 1 match, 1 chance, 1 opportunity to pick up that win. You can’t live and die by the high-risk, high-reward, sit dead red for that fastball and hit the moonshot kinda play. I’m not going to let you hit that home run, I’ve been in this game too long to walk into something so amateur.

I am not a martyr, or a truth hammer, or whatever religious symbol you want to try and assign to me. I am just a wrestler, who is damn good at wrestling matches, and if the ring is our Church? Well you Ken? You’re my disciple, and you will bow to me.

Next - Alexander…I see you’ve given us something that lasts longer than a minute, so I’m going to add that to my Watch Later list and get to that another time, as finally you give us something to pick through.

I've gotta admit it takes a certain level of commitment to keep pushing this ‘I am the King thing’ when all you're racking up is losses. I guess loss is something that the kings of old used to. Loss of land, loss of territory, loss of life. Continuing to push their men into unwinnable battles and fruitless exercises just for the sake of wealth, of power, of control. In a way it's admirable, but I think I touched on it last week…we are going through the same old pattern again. Expecting a different result is just insanity. While your resolve may be un-waning, the results haven't been coming and guess what, the opponents keep getting tougher, and growing in numbers. This time around there are more than a few of us that outmatch you in terms of experience, in terms of results, here in Sin City results here in Sin City. in terms of what we've done in the various title pictures we’re involved in, and the longer this goes on the more we begin to doubt your statement of being the One True King.

I figure that’s the only reason you're in this match in the first place, because you're walking around the place trying to make us call you a King already. You get offered the opportunity to try and prove your worth…for this moniker that you're trying to give yourself. Now, I guess the question is when you don't win the King For A Day match, are you still gonna continue , or will you finally decide to change things up and give us something different.

The great thing about wrestling, Maybe not so much in my case but definitely in yours, is that in this sport you can reinvent yourself as much as you want. You can throw on a mask and you can change your name or you can just pretend that you are something completely different, and while people are gonna call you out on what you were before, at least if in your own mind, if  you believe that you're something else, rather than this failed King that can't produce the King-like results he needs to make that stick…well at least maybe you’ll feel a little better about yourself, right?

Now I used to play tennis as a kid and I got involved a little bit in the coaching side of things, and something that we used to do with the kids is to get them involved in some kind of friendly competition early on. To make it so they couldn't get disheartened, we’d maybe stack the deck a little bit so that everyone gets a chance to taste victory…or maybe a game where there is no real winner, and everyone gets a trophy. Alexander, at this point you remind me of one of those kids, Like he's trying really hard. Maybe we should give him something just to keep him interested? Only…you’re not one of my students and I don’t care about this slippery slope you’re on because let me tell you that moment is definitely coming for you and it's coming soon, where this belief you still have in yourself begins to crumble under the weight of losses upon losses.

There is no way in hell you can continue to keep losing wrestling matches and continue trying to act like you belong here. There's no way you can try and keep that facade going for much longer. The fact is I see right through you, and you can call yourself a king, a saviour, a messiah, whatever the fuck you want. What I see in front of me is a man struggling, a man lacking direction, a man that couldn't buy himself a win with all the money in the world. I really wanna call you out for the patheticness of the situation but it feels like kicking a wounded puppy. Alexander this isn't your stage. This isn't your throne to capture. There's no crown for you. Maybe it's time you do yourself a favour and accept that whatever happens at Into the Void you coming away with a victory is absolutely not going to be one of them. Maybe this is the chance for that cold hard look at yourself, when maybe you think about changing direction.

For me my approach is very much if it aint broke don't fix it, and since I have a method that’s taken  me to pretty much every accolade I could ever have wanted to achieve over this last 10 years or more, I'm pretty confident I've got my technique down. Let me show you how it should be done, as I climb the ladder to make myself the King. Let me show you what it's like to back that title up with a few results in the ring. You just sit back and watch and let me show you how you should have done things. Watch me as I show you are actually getting results actually does for your monarchy status.

I'm sure you wanna get one over on me to catapult you forward the few of the steps your losses have knocked you back. You won't be the first and you won't be the last. After all, a scalp against The Dragon counts for a hell of a lot a lot around these parts. I've got to admit that's why I get a target painted on my back too, because there are plenty of people that would love to take down a former World champion and a former two-time Blast from the Past winner. What some seem to forget though is that I am a real rags to riches story. Working myself right up from the development territory to the very top of the tree here in SCW. I did what you're gonna have to do. Start from the bottom and build up. The difference is, I never called myself anything other than The Dragon. Any titles that were given to me after that? Well I earned those. I will be King, but I’m not going to use that until I’ve earned it.

There is nothing more humbling in this business than failing to achieve. You can call yourself whatever you want but at the end of the day you have failed to achieve. You haven't been good enough before, against weaker opposition, and chances are you are not going to be good enough against me. You haven't shown like you've made any attempts to change. I earn every opportunity I earn every title that I hold. I let others tell me what I am or how they see me. I let my work in the ring do the talking.

Your work in the ring has been nothing more than a whisper. I hope after this week you will learn your lesson, and you'll start to prove what you are…rather than what you tell us what we should perceive you as.

I guess we come to Agostino last, and I don't really have any words for him. Just as he very rarely has words for us, nothing of meaning, or of value. His bit part contribution, much like his effort in the match, will be fairly inconsequential. Probably a few flashes of excitement at the beginning…before someone gets hold of him and slows him down permanently. Part of it hosts it's me, part of me doesn't care.

I guess with that it's time to sign off. Very few words left to say other than to get out there at Into The Void and climb the ladder. Climbing ladders in Sin City is something that I have done plenty of times…something that I have made a career out of since I came here. All Sunday is? Just one more ladder. Now I guess I’d normally step out of shot in dramatic fashion here, but there’s no visual so…umm…

The sound of a scraping chair as it moves away from the desk…followed by it bouncing against the floor, pushed over for extra dramatic effect, and footsteps fading as they pad away from the microphone.

Take what you want
Take what you can
Take what you please
Don't give a damn
Ask for forgiveness
Never permission

Narrative = Control = Power.

I once had a friend who was an expert at remembering all my failures in detail. Every time he felt like taking me down a notch, he would discuss them at length with anyone who was within earshot, whether they wanted to listen or not. If I didn’t know any better I would have thought they were recording every action I took in a little journal, ready to pick apart at will.

The problem was that he always took such pleasure in it.

With friends like that, you don’t need enemies.

After all…the past is fixed and objective. At least, that’s how most of us view the past. We think it never changes and can’t be controlled. But that’s untrue.

Because the past is fluid. Dylan can’t remember her past, so it doesn’t influence her.

It’s important to understand that. The past is really just a collection of stories. It’s not fixed and objective at all.

If you don’t believe me, think of something that happened in your childhood. Take five family members or friends, people that were there with you, and ask them to recount the events to you. After that, you’ll end up with five different stories of that event.

Now remember…it’s not that four of them are lying and only one is telling the truth. It’s more that all witnesses have their own points of view on the event, they’ve imposed their own thoughts and feelings on it.

There is no objective past. There is only interpretation.

I know you’re going to say what about facts, what about the things we learned in school? Well history is the politically correct aggregate of the most dominant stories. That’s all it is. Propaganda, the lot of it.

The past is fluid.

I use that secret all the time now. Whenever someone is talking about my past failures, I always manage to re-frame the events.

Take for instance losing my first attempt at my World title.

I didn’t belong here in the first place, they told me…Sin City Underground guys aren’t fit to lace up any of our boots here, it was a no-contest, someone else should have gotten the shot…regardless of me winning out in a tournament to earn it.

I managed to re-frame the situation.

Instead of viewing it as a failure, I took it as a challenge to get better.

I came back around, I won another Blast from The Past, I did something nobody else ever had, two consecutive victories.

But I paid a price for that freedom: Nobody will ever truly underestimate me again.

It’s a price I love to pay, I thrive on the challenge.

Learning to control the narrative is a life skill. The future is fluid too, and it can be tamed just like the past. Every future problem can be framed in a way that empowers you. There’s always one perfect frame. Your job is to find that one frame.

Whoever controls the narrative, controls the world. Literally. There’s your power. You better become a story-teller. It’s a matter of life and death.

Trust me.

My former friend always controlled my story.

If you don’t control your story, someone else will.

Becoming a story-teller is the ultimate superpower.

Only the present is real.

Oh…that 'friend' we spoke of? I still hear that voice sometimes. It’s the version of me that I was born with. The one I had to learn to manage.

The one that still takes control every now and then.

I knew he’d accept my invitation. I knew he’d come, and I figure he’d come armed too. I was taking a quote-unquote “risk” but it never once felt that way. There was no doubt of the outcome in my mind.

He was taller than me, but not by much. He was broader than me, but not by much. He was stronger than me, but that didn’t matter. Strength is one thing, determination is another, and if the balance swings too far in one direction, there is only going to be one result in the end.

He was the military man in her nightmares. She couldn’t see his face in them, and with every passing day we shared the same bed, I held her tight in my arms until the field of sunflowers stopped coming, the faceless man stopped coming, that chapter of her life stopped haunting her.

That was…until he came to her. Told her everything, who she was, her real name, what he was, to her. Her husband. He was here to ruin everything.

He didn’t control the narrative.

My hands locked around his throat in a vice grip, my knee buried deep in my chest. His eyes were cold, dark…he had all the look of someone who could kill a man for sport, probably had, most likely more than he could count. He’d have killed me in a heartbeat, given the chance, but I was ruthless, relentless.

He didn’t stand a chance.

The truth was we could have sat in this stalemate for the next four or five minutes, until the very last breath left this man, and his brain became too starved of oxygen to ever fire another synapse but where was the fun in that? A long…slow death…time where I hoped that maybe, just maybe, my conscience might kick in. The Mark of his late thirties, a better, well-rounded human being capable of love and empathy and compassion and generosity and selflessness.

That Mark just sat back and watched. Dylan didn’t need a life that had her stabbed and left for dead, an existence where dodging bullets became commonplace. She didn’t need a serial killer for a husband, whether he did it in the name of the great US of A or not. She didn’t deserve the life “Staff Sergeant David Ashworth” could give her. She deserved much better. She deserved everything I promised her and more. She deserved the whole damn world.

The new version of Mark eventually pushed himself up from his proverbial chair, walked over, surveyed the scene, knelt down…and applied his hands on top of mine.

It just made me press harder, squeeze tighter, applying that pressure until…

*SNAP*

I don’t know exactly what parts of his neck we’d broken, but it lulled back to the side, and he was gone. It was all over. Nobody would ever lay a finger on her again, nobody but me.

"I have the power to change my story. Nothing, and nobody, gets in my way. "

Offline Agostino Romano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 10:26:06 PM »
Agostino wasn't like other guys in the match that talked a lot about the matches or talked garbage about wrestlers. That wasn't Agostino's plan at all. He was all about having fun because Agostino gets bored of doing videos of sitting or standing in an office. He likes to do fun things, and that includes the objects he has around him. Especially he was always happy. He's located on the mountains, with multiple toy king hats he had.

Agostino Romano: "It's me again and of course, you all know me by now that I do something wacky because that's who I am. I'm not the serious guy everyone wants me to be. I certainly don't care for your comments about me because to be a sports star, you don't listen to bad comments, you go out and win. Just like I aim to do in this match and I don't need to make a response because I don't care. Imagine the number of comments I got as a Global Bike Championship from media, fans and riders alike? If I started to respond to every single comment, then I wouldn't have been champion. It's a weak mentality."

He still thinks back to the times he had those comments and none of them affect him a single bit. Agostino picked up the first toy he had in front of him.

Agostino Romano: "A raven bird king. I find this one quite funny you see because how many birds do you know can become kings in the name of Alexander Raven? Raven birds are great animals to keep as pets, not as good as keeping a parrot that talks to me every day, but still, parrots can be better and smarter than raven birds can. Raven baby birds are cute. But not cute enough to take a motorcycle racing king off his throne."

Agostino knocks the crown off the raven bird and stood still as if he's already beaten down Raven. He moves onto the wrestling figure, holding a music box.

Agostino Romano: "The guy who doesn't seem to have anything standing out, just a wrestler in the ring known as Austin James Mercer. Why can't you get something that has all eyes on you apart from winning matches and titles? Especially it doesn't work anymore. When I think of a prodigy son, I think of the son of a prodigy music singer so I think I have a boombox that fits Austin perfectly, only I'll knock him off his throne too just purely for his lack of charisma skills."

Agostino flicks the crown of a regular wrestling figure with a boom box onto the floor of the mountains he's sitting on top of and moves next to another toy.

Agostino Romano: "Dragons have been known to be kings of the Chinese New Year pattern, the most powerful battle of the animals in the entire Chinese New Year theme. I know it's late to be celebrating it now, but Mark Cross did become SCW champion in the past. But dragons like Mark seem to zig-zag everywhere on the wrestling planet. I don't mean that as a bad thing, I meant it as a good thing that you want to do different things. Only a dragon king doesn't work."

Once again, Agostino flicks the crown of a dragon and then goes to the next one.

Agostino Romano: "Gods have been seen to be as kings at times, don't you think Ken Davidson? I know you were god of the Internet title. But Gods are also religious people as well. Maybe you want to be viewed as a different god of wrestling. Maybe you want to be godly to everyone around you. But being a god can also sometimes hold you back as well because despite being godly, it doesn't reflect on your performances in the ring. So godly kings have less effect."

As the same before, although Agostino drinks some water from a bottle and moves toward the last opponent of the match.

Agostino Romano: "I couldn't get an object about being a cockney, but this football England figurine would fit Ben perfectly, considering he's bragged about football before. The guy is nice and rarely has a bad word to say to other wrestlers. It's a different mentality for a football England player with being cocky as all he can be. But football England cocky players easily have their crowns off them too. It's why I aim to win this match because there's only one king in this match that fits the position."

Instead of flicking the crown off a football England figurine off the crown's head, Agostino places it on his bike.

Agostino Romano: "Unlike all of you in this match who would place yourselves in title matches, that's not going to be me when I win this match. I will have all the fun and wacky GM ideas, even ideas that Candy had for you all. Also I grant one match for myself when I be king, that's going up against The Troll. No titles, no title contention matches, nothing. Just a fun fight for us. That's what you expect me to ask for the day to do. I will climb that ladder and win, simple as."

Agostino was done with the video as the cameras went back.

I love AJ Allmendinger.