Author Topic: Flying Close To The Sun  (Read 628 times)

Offline MiloKasey

• View Profile
Flying Close To The Sun
« on: April 22, 2022, 11:46:45 PM »
Flying Close To The Sun
San Jose, Cali.

KASEY!

Miles had done something that caught a few people by surprise. Towards the end of the PWS: Apex’s Riot, he ran down and made the save for a friend-slash-foe of his. Jack Russow had found himself in a rather precarious position and about to have his whole comeback ruined by some rather...nefarious individuals that had until recently been running rough-shod.

As he walked the halls of the SAP Arena, he heard Jack call out to him a few different times but he wasn’t interested in a conversation at that particular moment with the man that he was certain was about to be his tag partner in the coming weeks and then his opponent. That was for another time and another place.

Originally he wasn’t even going to be there but he had this sneaking suspicion that he needed to be there for Jack’s return match in PWS. He was right, he took the mental notes that he needed, did what he needed to do to make sure their match at Destiny was secure and now he had more pressing matters to attend to.

Goddammit Milo, HOLD UP!” Jack wasn’t going to relent so Miles slowed his pace to a crawl to allow him to catch up. Miles just turned and looked at him with a smirk knowing the next words to come, “You wanna tell me what the hell was that about?

If he was being honest about it, deep down, he just couldn’t help himself. He and Jack had rarely seen eye-to-eye on a few things but it seemed after all this time there was a common misconception that Miles hated him. There were misunderstandings in regards to Wolfslair and at the end of the day, he didn’t give a shit about what Jack thought about that. It was his career, it was stagnant, Wolfslair opened up so much more for what he wanted.

It was nothing against his dad, Levi gave a lot of people their starts but running with the pack had given him almost an understanding. Something bigger than maybe even he could gather.

Miles though just looked at Jack, who was waiting almost impatiently for his answer. Why did he save him?

With a nod of his head and a shrug of his shoulders, Milo took a deep breath and simply said, “Because I’m not letting people fuck up my opprotunities anymore, Jack.

Wha-?

Miles stepped up and pointed back towards the location of the arena, staring Jack down, “I have spent the last year getting stepped on at every turn. You and I are destined to happen and those two almost screwed it up. I refuse to let that happen.” Miles steps back and gives that boyish smirk, “So do yourself a favour, get cleaned up, dressed, go home to your wife and your babies and love them. Then the next day, prepare because I can promise you that PWS management is going to take this opportunity to exploit what just happened. No matter what, partner or opponent, I want you at your very best.

And with that he turned on his heels and continued his leave, “See you in 2 weeks, mate.

He knew that he couldn’t allow himself to worry about Jack. He was a grown ass man afterall with a wife and 2 beautiful babies but sometimes he worried...Jack was supposed to be the best of them a few years ago.

Add that to the list of things that are going to come to a head in the near future.

That’s then. What about now?

Come And Get Your Love
New York, NY

It had only been a week and a half and another early morning filled the skies of New York City. The hustle and bustle of the city was already in full swing.

But he hears none of that except the snare snap and bass line of Redbone’s “Come And Get Your Love” as Miles climbs the stairs of the city’s infamous subway system. Miles has found himself in a jovial mood as of late, not much could bring him down. Spring was in the air and it felt wonderful outside.

He would stop at the one newsstand that was right next to the subway entrance that provided his favorite cup of coffee in the whole city. By now he had a routine when he wasn’t on the road and the owner knew that and already had everything that was needed ready for him on his way through.

Mornin’ Nate.” Miles said entering into the local bodega, heading down one of the aisles to grab a snack or 3.

Hey Miles! I got your usuals all set for ya!” the owner popped up in a fairly thick hispanic accent, “I even threw in something for your lady that I thought she’d like, on the house this time. If she likes it we’ll talk but with youz guys traveling more, I noticed the other day she was looking at different things about it.

Oh that’s appreciated, mate.” Miles said walking up to the counter and dropping the extra onto the counter. He took the chance to peek through the bag as Nate rang up the rest of his stuff, coming across the magazine he was talking about, “I’m sure she’ll say Thanks when she sees it. It’ll add to the collection she’s got when we head back over.

Nate finishes throwing the items in the bag with a shake of his head, accepting payment from Miles,“I don’t know how you do it, man. This city is big enough for me.

Miles can’t help but laugh, grabbing up the bag and shoving it into his messenger bag that he has with him, “Well when ya love what ya do...

Nate just waves him off, “Yeah yeah. Tell Becca I said “Hi” will ya?

Will do. We’ll be back Thursday.” Miles pats the counter, grabbing his change and begins to head out the door.

I’ll be ready for ya!” Nate says with a laugh in his voice, “Ey Milo! Don’t fall on yer head, a’ight?

That stops Miles with a bright smile and points to his ass, “And hurt this arse?

You wanna know what’s funny? If you would have told him a couple years ago that this would be his life, he would have laughed at you. Maybe where he grew up, but he would have never felt like home. His life had gained some sort of normality, if that was even a real thing as of late. He’d get up, stop at Nate’s bodega, get to training at Wolfslair and usually wrap the day up with the lovely Ms. Larkin.

Before he’d just keep his head down when he was out, grab what he needed from the coolers and barely acknowledge anyone. He’d change for the better and he was fairly certain he had Becca to thank for it.

That whole saying that “Behind a great man is a strong woman...who is rolling her eyes” would fit them to a t. He’d like to think that. She kept him focused on a path and didn’t let him veer off which he was good at sometimes with his ADHD brain. Wolfslair made him stronger, faster and smarter in the ring. Becca made him just a better man.

It was nice not living such a 2-dimensional life. The one where he’d wake up, go to training, come home, eat, shower and sleep or wake up, pack, travel, wrestle, go home, eat, shower and sleep. Life wasn’t black and white.

He could get used to that.

How Close Is Too Close?
Rhodes, Greece

As they landed, Miles had one place in mind where he needed to visit. See, in primary, our Don Canarge to be was lucky that he was able to escape with just good enough grades but there was something about Rhodes that intrigued him.

Specifically the rise and fall of what was one of the Seven Wonders of the World which was the Colossus of Rhodes. "It only stood for 66 years before it was destroyed by one hell of an earthquake. But before it happened, they said it stood taller than the Statue of Liberty."

Becca had never seen him like this, he was like a kid in a candy store. "I would have never pegged you as a history buff, abs."

"I'm so not except for some Greek Mythology. Helios was immortalized in this colossal statue right as you entered from the sea."

"Only the pillars remain?"

"Yep, there was an emperor that was going to rebuild but it never happened." he said, "They still managed to recover some of what was destroyed in the aftermath but the foundation of it remains strong and iconic as a reminder that though it's original form may be gone or at least there for support..."

He looks at Becca for a moment.

"I know, I took the long way about that."

"It's the thought that counts." she smiles at him, "I'm gonna go check out that little shop over there."

"Just no fertility goddesses! A'ight?" he quips.

Becca saunter up to him and wraps him up in a hug, "I was thinking maybe seeing if I can find one that resembles you."

"A dork with abs?" he asks rather cheekily.

"Exactly." she says with swift kiss, "Be right back."

He watches as she sways away for a moment, the look in his eyes are almost like she has pulled him into a spell.

"Sometimes I have no choice but to pinch myself to keep myself from slipping into this belief that I am dreaming. I am ridiculously happy right now and there is nothing that is going to bring me down from this cloud."

His smiles falters a bit, "So imagine my surprise with finding myself in this strangely familiar territory with Agostino and Max. One where the 3 of us have the battle tooth and nail in a match where the fates decide how and where and usually with what."

"It seems to me anymore, Agostino is lacking that fire and passion that he once had. It's like he found his pinnacle and he just quit." Miles just shakes his head, "How many times are we gonna do this, mate? I feel like you are purposely putting yourself into a brick wall. You're a racer, not a stuntman. But yet, here you are....In my way once again."

"And because why the fuck not, Max Burke and his just loving to fight and for some weird reason that makes me feel all tingly inside. Because I honestly think that if I am missing anything in my life right... It's a good ole fashion knock down drag out brawl. The type that makes you absolutely iconic! The kind that makes the Roulette Champion take notice because they know that no matter how that wheel lands and what the fates hand us, the winner is going to show them something is coming."

Miles shrugs, and smirks knowing, "Just so happens for me that means that Wolfslair is going to get a whole lot more exciting."

"I may get a little burned flying so close to the sun here and hell, I may very well get burned in the process but I may very well solidify my match... And prove that I am not a complete fuck up."

He looks back, to Becca yelling for his attention and begging for him to join her. He just shakes his head and motions for her. To hold. On for just a moment.

"After all, I found that Goddess... I must have done something right in a previous life."

He looks up, "Give me this one? Whatta say, mate?" looking at her, "If not for me, then for her."