Author Topic: Endeavor XXXVII  (Read 555 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
Endeavor XXXVII
« on: April 08, 2022, 11:55:40 PM »
What is it about Blaze of Glory and Mercedes Vargas? Sure, she’s has a perfect attendance record, having made the card for the last eight events. That’s the best part.

She’s also only won once in all that time. That lone win was three years ago to the day. That’s the bad part. Three weeks ago, Mercedes was reminded of the terrors of this supercard and once again victory was stolen from the jaws of defeat.

This year’s obstacle was a six-woman gauntlet for a future title shot at Into the Void. That Mercedes faced a daunting task as it is wasn’t the issue than the fact her track record in contendership matches wasn’t all that great to start with, but all things considered it was better than her five opponents individually and collectively. It was staring down the barrel of another match that got away from her. It’s not that everything had to go right, it’s that the smallest mistake could make everything go wrong. She did everything humanly possible to survive, but the stars did not align that night in the City of Angels. Instead it came down to The WildKat and The Blossoming Rose, and all Mercedes could do was watch from afar before heading back to the locker room.

All in all, the gauntlet provided real stakes in a matchup she wasn’t sure if anyone really believed the outcome much less whether Mercedes would win, even though she did make the final three. It had the same feel against Alicia Lukas last year had, where everyone knew who was going to win. But it went without saying that Mercedes fought to the bitter end, it wouldn’t be her if she hadn’t.

Before the bell, it was all too common what Mercedes’ opponents were trying to do, from the dark horse to the underdog. At the same time, it was all too common what Mercedes was expected to do. Sunday was a battle of will and a test of skills.

It was always a battle on two fronts: not so much the caliber of her opponents than with herself.

Another year, another Blaze of Glory.

It was neither right, nor fair.

Mercedes has been here before.

Maybe one time too many.

~~~

Present Day ♦ G R E E C E

[REC•]

[Sometimes a change of scenery can help get you out of a particularly bad experience, kind of like Mercedes is doing now. The overseas tour of Greece came in at the right time, given how things went at Blaze of Glory, but a new show cycle ment turning a new page, and Mercedes was jumping at the chance to turn this year around, now a quarter of the way in.

Sunday’s Climax Control would be a great start.

It’s not everyday Mercedes Vargas gets to go overseas, but when she does, it’s an opportunity she couldn’t pass up, even if she really wanted to. Greece, like any other country she’s visited in her nearly-decade career in SCW, has its share of scenic and breathtaking landmarks, from domed churches and historical monuments to breathtaking Greek islands, and partaking in the food and chatting with the locals was always a bonus. The Greece Lightning Tour was, in all essence of the word, a dream getaway, and if she could just get by the next few weeks, it would be a success.

Open on Mercedes drinking coffee at a nearby crowded cafe while also witnessing strangers pass by on the street. She then turns towards the camera. Wind in her hair, worries behind her, and a smile on her face.]

“Let me first start off by congratulating Crystal Zdunich for winning the gauntlet match at Blaze of Glory. No, seriously, she deserves it. So here’s that round of applause, here’s that bow.”

[Mercedes brings her hands together for a slow, lifeless showing followed by a bow that was just as cutting.]

“See, because if anything, if Crystal thinks she’s going to beat Masque de Lune for the Internet Championship much less Andrea Hernandez on this stupid hit list she’s got going on, then she just played herself. There’s a reason why Andrea owns her and why Masque will make Crystal regret taking her lightly. But that’s enough about Crystal. I’ve got bigger fish to fry Sunday. They say to pick your battles. Well, this match wasn’t my choice. But fighting is. Apparently, I find myself in a triple threat against Ms. Jon and Seleana Zdunich. Great way to spend a Sunday night, huh?

“They say you often find your destiny on the path taken to avoid it. Ms. Jon is quite the roadblock. She’s coming off her first loss in SCW, but that was against Tempest at the supercard. She still is perfect on Climax Control and beat Chloe Benton and Kaiju Rainbow pretty convincingly. Does that mean Seleana and I are going to have a long night? Yes. Will I enjoy seeing Ms. Jon pounce on Seleana while I stand in one corner of the ring filing my nails? Yes. While it will take teamwork to take down Ms. Jon, I’m all out of teamwork to give so I hope Seleana will forgive me. I work alone.

“Lets be clear, Seleana is a marginal wrestler at best, but the way she’s being portrayed like shes one the TOP Elite wrestlers out there is comical. Seleana just isn’t a top level talent. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Only reason why Seleana held the Bombshell Roulette Championship for so long is because everyone else was busy with the world title scene. That, and I’d be happy too if I was defending against Jessie Salco and Keira Fisher-Johnson every week.

“Seleana came in with buzz after she flukes her way to a world title win, which her wife helped her to win by the way, but that was definitely overhyped. And that’s probably what did her in. To much high expectation. For somebody who isnt that kind of star. Reality always sets in quickly.

“Sunday is where Seleana is about to learn the difference between fantasy and reality. The reality is she’s about to get beat on Sunday. The fantasy is that she thought she had any choice in the manner.”

[Mercedes shrugs matter-of-factly.]

“Women like me are destined for greatness any and everywhere they go. It’s why I was the first woman and still the only woman to win every championship this company had to offer. It’s why I am the only 14-time champion in history. It’s why I am a two-time, two-time, Hall of Famer in this company. Proud of it, not ashamed to say it.”

[Mercedes pauses for a long moment, her eyes closed, clenching her fist, emotions having caught up with her state of mind. Only when she opened her eyes again and looked up at the camera did the next words were spoken with conviction.]

“I’ve made a career of proving people wrong for the last nine years in SCW. Some of the names and some of the faces may have changed, but I’m still Mercedes Vargas. And whether you have a size and power advantage like Ms. Jon or you have gotten lucky against me a few times like Seleana, I should never be counted out.

“I’ve beaten similar size wrestlers like Bobbie Dahl and Tempest, and Seleana can tell you about the time I ruined her SCW pay-per-view debut. I remember like it was yesterday.”

[Mercedes raises her index finger in a wait-a-minute gesture.]

“I get I haven't been the hottest story this year. I get that I have kind of flown under the radar a bit, at least compared to some other women in the division. But against Ms. Jon and Seleana, I think it’s time I give a stern reminder to the rest of the division of just how good I really am.

“As far as I’m concerned, there’s only threat in this triple threat match, chickadees, and that’s me.”

[Mercedes points at herself.]

"Estar preparado para lo peor, esperar lo mejor."
"Prepare for the worst, hope for the best."

[Mercedes fluffs and straightens out her hair and then slowly cross her arms. She pauses for effect, lowering her voice just above a whisper.]

"Y que la suerte está siempre en su favor.”
“And may the odds be ever in your favor."

***Fade***

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)