Author Topic: Back To Work  (Read 604 times)

Offline Max Burke

• GRIME World Nightmare Champion
  • Match Writers
    • View Profile
Back To Work
« on: April 08, 2022, 11:35:35 PM »
March 20th 2022
Galen Center
Los Angeles, California
Post Blaze Of Glory X

Well, that just happened. Not the result I was expecting or hoping for, but it is what it is. It’s over, and done with. Time to put on a brave face for the two that mean the most to me that are waiting for me backstage. I came out unscathed, thank god. This alone will make this that much easier on everyone, Time to face my harshest critics. Let’s do this. I give the sweat a quick wipe before turning the corner to greet my ladies.

Libby: UNCLE MAX!

Libby rushes up to greet me, but stops short before her typical leap. Instead she steps in slowly and wraps her arms around me gently, being careful not to squeeze too hard.

Max: Hey kiddo. I’m okay. Squeeze away.

Libby is quick to oblige. She jumps up, and wraps her arms around my neck. I give her a quick peck on the cheek as she leans in for a tighter squeeze. This definitely helps take the sting of the loss away.

Becca: You good?

Libby leans back, and mimics her mother’s tone.

Libby: Yeah, you good?

All you can do is smile. She’s her mother’s daughter through and through. It’s that I can look them straight in the eyes, and not lie. It doesn’t happen often so I’ll take it. I do another quick self inspection as best I can with Libby in my arms. Yep, all good I think.

Max: Couple of lumps, and bumps. Shiner in the morning. No big deal. I’m feeling good given the outcome. Dust myself off, and move on. All you can do in moments like these. But yeah, so far so good.

Becca: How’s Myra doing? That was quite the shot she took.

Max: She was doing okay. Upset obviously, but she was doing okay. Giving her space.  We were so damn close. We got outsmarted. I didn’t even see Mac coming. I was kissing the apron before I knew what was happening. That wasn’t too fun now that I think about it. They were one step ahead in the end. Simple as that. I can’t dwell on it.

Becca: You’re both okay, and that’s the main thing. It was a really great match. You and Myra took it to them. Everyone saw that. You were awesome out there. We’re really proud of both of you. You both represented the tournament with the respect it deserves.

Max: Thanks. Heck, it was my best showing. I should be proud of that fact. I hung with the champ. I should be proud of that. Mac has been on a tear, and I see why. I quickly remembered what it’s like to be cracked by Mr. Bane. I can tell you Becs it’s not fun in the least. But I also reminded Mr. Bane what I promised him in the lead up to the finals that a lot can change in a year. I made sure that I came at Mac out of the gate with a fury he wouldn’t see coming.

Becca: He’s not the only one that didn’t see it coming. You definitely had him on his heels there. The fast start was a smart move. The aggression definitely caught him off guard.

Max: I knew to truly get his respect, I needed to get in his face as soon as a tag was made. I needed to stay the aggressor. Mac loves a good fight, and he can definitely take a punch. Nothing I love more than a good scrap with someone will step right up and keep it in the phone box. I felt alive in there tonight.

Libby: You did great uncle Max.

Max: Thanks kiddo. Sorry I couldn’t get the belt for you tonight. I’ll get him next time right?

Libby: Yep. I’m hungry. Time for ice cream?

Max: You bet ya we’re getting ice cream.

Becca: Little late for ice cream isn’t it?

Max: It’s never too late for ice cream.

Becca: Do you even know what time it is right now Uncle Max?

Max: It’s never too late for ice cream, especially on nights like this. It’s a beautiful night in downtown LA. How about apple pie and ice cream? Bed snack?

I give a wink to Libby, who smiles back with a devilish grin. We both know we are winning this battle. She is not going to deny me in my time of need. I need to cure the bitter taste of defeat with apple pie and ice cream. I will hunt it out, and I will find it. There is nothing better than a warm piece of apple pie, and vanilla ice cream to cure whatever ails ya.

Becca: I am kind of hungry. Get changed, and let’s see if we can find something close. We’ll wait outside for you. I’ll see what I can find while we’re waiting.

Max: Sounds good. Shouldn’t be too long, and we can get out of here.

Becca: Ok Lib, let Uncle Max get cleaned up, so we can go get something to eat.

Libby nods, and I set her down gently. She gives me another quick hug before running over to her mother, and grabbing her by the hand.

Max: Okay give me 10 minutes, and we’ll get out of here. My treat of course. Libby, you can order anything and everything you want tonight.

Libby: Anything?

Max: Anything, and everything. Whatever you want. We’re going to have fun tonight.

Becca, and Libby head off as I finish packing up the majority of my bag before heading to the shower. It’s been a long night, a long couple of weeks. I’ve got to admit, it’s a bit of a relief that it’s all over. I’ll lick my wounds tonight. Drown my sorrows in apple pie, ice cream, and a nice tall glass of milk with my two favourite ladies before they head back home in a few days. As much as this stings, I’m so glad I have them here right now in this moment. Libby’s old enough now that she can appreciate what her family business is. She can appreciate what her Uncle Max does. Don’t be surprised if you see Libby Burke’s name in the dirt sheets in the not too distant future. You can see the love grow in her eyes every time she’s around. She’s definitely going to be involved in some capacity. I have no doubt about that. I’ll be proud to pass down the knowledge when the time comes.

April 7th 2022
Azure Resort & Spa
Zakynthos, Greece

This is what it’s all about. Sitting poolside, coffee in hand. Yes, I said coffee. I’m hiding from Ben and Fenris. I’ve had my fun, but I need to do this shit in moderation. Those two are something else to behold out in the wild of Greece. It’s a jungle out there with them. They can tease me all they want, I’m here for fun but I’m here to do a job too. And I’ve got a big task ahead of me. Austin James Mercer is no joke.

Max: Blast From The Past has come and gone. Myra Rivers, and I showed throughout the tournament that we are a threat to anyone that is scheduled against us. Now it’s time for Greece Lightning! Well played by the way. This Sunday, I’m stepping in there with Austin James Mercer. I’m going from the current champ to a former champ. I’ve said it since I’ve returned. I’m here to test myself against the best that Sin City Wrestling has to offer. Austin you definitely fit the description, You’re someone that I’ve been looking forward to testing my skills against.

I adjust in the poolside lounge chair. Taking another sip from my cup of coffee, I love this blend at the resort. It’s absolutely delicious. Nothing better than a good cup of coffee to get your mind right before a big fight. Austin James Mercer is a big fight. They are not taking it easy on me. I know just how dangerous Mr. Mercer is.

Max: You’ve fought the best of the best here in Sin City Wrestling. You’re a big son of a bitch, and you’re a talented son of a bitch. You are exactly the type of competition that I want this time around in SCW. You and I both know what is expected of us when we step between those ropes. We share that bond. We both know the importance of what this match means for both of us. I came up short against Mac. So did you. You’ve been on a bit of a skid. I hit a roadblock by the name of Mac Bane. Before that, I stepped in there against Miles, Todd and Jaycee. I put them all down. That was important. I needed to show everyone old and new here in Sin City Wrestling just exactly who Max Burke is. I think my run through this year’s Blast From The Past was a fitting reintroduction to Sin City Wrestling. I was able to go in there night in and night out and show each and every one of them just exactly what you can look forward to when you step between those ropes against me. I loved the diversity in opponents in this year’s tournament. I had to be on top of my game or I would have met the same fate as last year’s tournament pretty damn quick. That didn’t happen this year. No, we were there in the end. Staring across the ring from Mikah and Mac. I think that was a hell of a way to say hello to everyone in Sin City Wrestling. More importantly, the Blast From The Past was the perfect opportunity for me to prove to myself that in coming back, I’d be able to hang with anyone that they could possibly throw in front of me. I stepped in there with the best of the SCW youth movement in Miles and Jaycee. I stepped in there with a former world champion in Todd Williams. Each one tested me in different ways that I had to adapt to. I was able to successfully do that and hammer the nail in their coffin each time to advance in the tournament. This week I get to step back in there against Austin James Mercer. Coming off the Blast From The Past I need to go out there on Sunday and make a statement. Mr. Mercer, you have the unenviable role of being the one staring across the ring from me. You can look forward to an evening of pain. I need to make sure I show that I deserve another opportunity to step back in for a championship opportunity in the near future. I believe you and I are going to have a banger of a match. I think that’s exactly what both of us need right now. So here’s what we are going to do. When that bell rings, I’m going to step to the center of the ring, and extend my hand. You can shake it if you want. If you choose not to, that’s perfectly fine too. I’ll show you the respect that you deserve.

I lean forward, sitting up nice and tall. I remove my sunglasses because I want to make sure he sees exactly what I’m about to say. He needs to see just how serious I am with the words that I’m about to speak. He needs to see the confidence in my eyes. Austin James Mercer needs to know he is stepping in with a refocused Max Burke. There is no need to look at the past. What’s important is the present, and the present is a Max Burke with unmatched confidence.

Max: Then... we’re going to fight. We’re going to beat the hell out of each other. Listen to me Austin, I’m going to punch you in the face. I’m going to stretch you. I’m going to make your evening a living hell. You’re going to damn well know you’ve been in a fight when we’re through on Sunday. You’re going to feel it after the match. Oh yeah you will. You’re going to feel it on Monday, And, if I have my way you’ll be feeling it for the rest of the week. You and I are both going to be feeling this match for a long time after I’m predicting. This Sunday night I’m stepping in against another former world champion in Austin James Mercer. This Sunday night I’m walking out victorious against another former world champion. I am going to continue to prove night in and night out that I am back, and ready to make an impact here in Sin City Wrestling.