Author Topic: Round 2 - FIGHT! (Blast Quarter-Finals)  (Read 582 times)

Offline Max Burke

• GRIME World Nightmare Champion
  • Match Writers
    • View Profile
Round 2 - FIGHT! (Blast Quarter-Finals)
« on: February 18, 2022, 11:39:42 PM »
Wednesday February 16th 2022 - Max’s condo

Max: God, that felt good.

As usual, I’m up at the crack of dawn. There is nothing better than a freshly brewed cup of coffee, and enjoying the sunrise from my balcony. I’m glad I decided to rent a condo right on the strip.

Max: Round 1 is in the books,and I’m ecstatic with the outcome obviously. Myra and I did exactly what we said we were going to do. We went out there last Sunday on Climax Control, and showed the world how seriously we are taking this year’s Blast From The Past X. Milo and Audrey put up a decent fight, but you can’t take lightly how much experience comes into play when you are in this tournament. Myra made it to the finals last year. This is my 4th Blast, dating back to when I first entered in 2015. Each year brings different dynamics, and different obstacles. The opening round was no different with the wild card that was Audrey Russow, but Myra handled her business just as I expected she would.

C’mon! Look at that sun. What a beautiful day it is this morning already. Definitely going to get out for a run this morning, but first more coffee.

Max: Milo, thanks for pushing me in my return to Sin City Wrestling. You definitely showed up last week, and got your licks in. I was definitely feeling a few of those shots Monday morning that’s for damn sure. Keep grindin’ kid, but like I said last week was not the week for the Wolfslair rebound. You showed me you have a hell of a lot Milo. Keep your chin up kid.

Like clockwork every morning, my phone goes off with an incoming video chat from my favorite lady.

Max: Good morning beautiful.

Libby: HI!

Ah, the apple of my eye. The kid that I’d die for. Libby is my oldest niece, and she makes sure she calls her Uncle Max everyday. God forbid I miss her morning video chat. That is one way to piss off this kid. She never lets me live it down when I miss her calls. This pandemic has definitely taken my appreciation for family, and everyone back home in the Maritimes. This kid is at the top of the list. But boy oh boys does she have  a temper like her mother. The ginger definitely shines through when she is in a mood.

Max: Hey kiddo. How are you?

Libby: Goooooooood.

Max: That’s good. How’s school?

Libby: Ugh. It’s okay.

Max: School’s school right. Are you excited to be back with your friends?

Libby: YEP! Oh! We watched you!

She’s quite the kid. Just like me, easily excited, and never stops chattering away.

Max: Mom let you watch Uncle Max’s match eh? Did ya like it?

Libby: You won!

Max: We did!

Libby: You played nice too.

Max: I tried. Trying to be a good guy for you. We don’t need mean old Uncle Max anymore right?

Libby: Nope!

What a character she is. Love her to death. Libby definitely is a bright light in our family.

Max: I'll try to be good this week too Lib, but Uncle Max and Myra are taking on a mean guy that has said bad things about Myra. Uncle Max might have to get a little rough to teach him a lesson okay? I'll let mom know if you can watch on Monday. Just remember Uncle Max has done this a long time. I'll be just fine. Don't you worry.

Libby: Okay. Love you! Punch him in the nose.

HA! Libby knows how it goes. She's been crawling around the ring back home since she was in diapers. She's seen her great uncles rough up Uncle Max and the rookies plenty over the years.

Max: You got it kiddo! Right in the nose just for you. Time for Uncle Max's run. Give mom a yell.

Libby: MOOOOOOOM!

Becca: Hey bub. How ya feeling?

My kid sister is my best friend, always will be. Nobody messed with the Burke girls for obvious reasons.

Max: Hey you. I'm good. Don't let her watch live this week okay? Todd talks a lot, and I don't think we're going to see too much sportsmanship on either side this week.

Becca: Yeah he was talking a lot of crap about Myra last week.

Max: Yep. Seems to be an unhealthy obsession for sure. For a married guy he's awful hung up on her. I'm probably going to be dipping into the bag of tricks this week. Libby wants me to punch him right in the nose.

Neither one of us can't help crackin' up. Libby's 100% going to be a scrapper. Pity the kid that crosses her. When it happens it won't be pretty.

Becca: Libby!?

Libby: Uncle Max said he's a poopy head.

Max: Oh Lib, I love you. Okay I'm going to go for my run. Same time tomorrow okay?

Libby: Yep! Love you too. Bye!

And off she goes like a flash. Can't keep that kid still very long. She always makes time for her uncle Max though. Libby is a key to my mental health. Coming back to Sin City full time was something I knew I needed, but it was hard to say goodbye that last time. Thank God for technology. I can't wait to fly them out again.

Max: Love ya Becs.

Becca:  Love you too bub. Kick some ass on Sunday.

Max: You know it. I'll buzz ya later.

June 1st 2021 - Moncton, New Brunswick - Moncton Hospital 9:45  AM

Max: Mornin’ Doc.

Dr. Arsenault: Morning Mr. Burke. How are we feeling this morning?

What the hell kind of question is that? I know we’ve been down this road before, but how do you think I’m feelin’ doc? Read the room man.

Max: Ready to get this show on the road. The more important question is... how are you feeling this morning?

Dr. Arsenault: Well rested and caffeinated of course.

He is totally lying through his teeth. Surgeons are never well rested. Luckily, I’ve known Doc for over 10 years. He rebuilt me the first time, and I’m confident he’ll do it again. He’s never did me or my family wrong over the years. The man is the best in the region, and works on a ton of the local athletes.

Max: Hopefully not too caffeinated. I need those steady steady hands of yours today. Let’s see ‘em.

Dr. Arsenault: You can never be too caffeinated, you know that.

Not even a quiver. Good man.

Max: You know me too well Doc. So, what ya thinkin’?

Dr. Arsenault: We shouldn’t be too long today. The x-rays looked pretty damn good. I’ll know more once I get in there and poke around. Let’s get you prepped. Ready for your nap?

Max: Fingers crossed my friend. I am 100% ready for that nap. You better have some decent coffee for us after we’re done. The cafeteria doesn’t quite cut it.

Dr. Arsenault: I already bumped into your sister, and she said she’ll have the good stuff ready to go for us. Okay, I’m going to let the nurses do their thing and I’ll see you in a couple of hours. Nighty night bud.

Max: Becca might have the good coffee, but I’ve got a nice present for you if all goes well. See you in a bit.

Best part of the anaesthesia is you don’t remember shit. I definitely don’t mind that at all. Let’s do this.

Dr. Arsenault: You’re always so generous. Appreciate it Max. Thank you.

Max: You’re basically family Doc. You’re quite welcome. Okay enough chit chat, let’s get this over with.

5 hours later

Becca:  Welcome back bub.

Wow, I forgot about the post surgery hangover. Fuck, I’m stoned.

Max: Hey Becs. You here the whole time?

I know it’s rhetorical, she never leaves. She stayed the whole time last time, and I know for a damn fact she stayed the whole time this time too.

Becca: You know that’s a stupid question bub. Here, have some water.

Max: Where’s the coffee?

Becca: Water first. Your coffee is right there. How ya feeling?

Max: Party pooper. You know I’m still fuckin’ stoned. THAT was a stupid question. Fine, water first.

Becca: Oh hey Doc. Here’s your coffee as promised.

Dr. Arsenault: You’re the sweetest Becca. Thank you very much.

Becca: How’d it go?

Dr. Arsenault: Better than expected actually. Only needed to do a bit of cleaning up. You were very lucky Max. No additional damage from that ladder match. You really just tweaked it I figure. I just went in and did a bit of maintenance. You had a slight tear, but it wasn’t near as bad as the first time. Looks like it was more just wear and tear overall. I got you all fixed up.

Max: Oh thank god. You’re the best doc.

Dr. Arsenault: Yeah, I know. Rehab this time should be a cakewalk compared to last time. Where’s my present?

Max: Cakewalk... says you. You’re not the one doing it.

Dr. Arsenault: You got this kid. Trust me, that knee of yours is even stronger. This wasn’t bad at all.

Yes, he still calls me kid. Some things will never change. Now, the real work  begins. God, I hate rehab.

Max: Whatever you say Doc. Enjoy your present my friend. I’ll see you tomorrow?

Dr. Arsenault: My plate is pretty empty tomorrow, I should be in pretty early to check on you. Nice seeing you again Becca. Give my best to the family.

Becca: Of course. Thanks again.

Friday February 18th 2022 -  Fremont Street

Max: What the fuck did I just get myself into?

This could be a first in pro wrestling. Probably not, but I’m still scared shitless. Did I mention I’m terrified of heights? I’ve got my Go Pro strapped on, and am already regretting this decision that I’ve made on a whim.

Max: Hello Sin City Wrestling. Welcome to Freemont Street. Welcome to...

Ok breath Max. You got this. Don’t shit yourself.

Max: Slotzilla. I’ve had my eye on this for a while. I figured I’d take you all on the ride with me. What is Slotzilla?

Goddamn this is high. This is so stupid. Why am I doing this? I fuckin’ hate heights. Look at this thing!

Max: Slotzilla is a 114 foot high zipline at its highest point. Why am I here? It’s about facing fears. You see this is a great representation of this crazy world of professional wrestling. We risk our lives night in and night out. The unknown is always in the back of your mind, and the pit of your stomach. Anything can happen when you step between the ropes of the six sided ring. Just like here... anything could happen. Hell, I might not even make it to Sunday after tonight. But, night in and night out we step between the ropes anyway because we love the thrill of it all.

Oh shit. My turn here we go.

Max: We do this for the fans. We do this for the love of this business. We’ve also probably taken way too many shots to the head over the years... but we absolutely thrive in the violence.

Guess there is no backing out now. Okay... okay... it’s all good. Fuck me, I’m really about to do this.

Max: So, here we are. I needed something to take the edge off before this week’s quarter-finals. That silly bastard Ben mentioned this damn thing one night, and I’ve had it in the back of my head. Perfect time to rip the bandaid, and take the damn plunge.

And awaaaaaaaay we go!

Max: Oooooooooooooooooooooh SHIT!

Holy shit this thing boogies! This is fuckin’ way higher than I thought...

Max: This week we square off with Todd Williams, the man of a thousand catchphrases and Alanah Russow. You see, this one this week is going to be an extra sweet victory. Todd’s always talked a lot of shit. Hell, last week on Climax Control Todd threw his own partner under the bus. Got to admit, and this is going to be shocking to hear from me of all people. Stuff her in a suitcase? Okay Todd... that’s a bit weird. I thought your unhealthy obsession with Myra was a bit much. You can’t seem to keep her name out of your mouth. You got a few screws loose up there bud? You ever seek help, or does Hope just feed your ego so much that she can’t even see through your crazy?

Okay this is fun!

Max: I’ve got a question for Mrs. Russow. How’d that make you feel huh? You’ve got a potential serial killer for a partner by the sounds of it. The fact that the first thing that came to mind for him to say was he wanted to stuff you in a suitcase and carry you to the finals it’s pretty f’d up. It even caught me off guard. Let’s just say it was a moment of reflection for me. Ask Orchid. I’ve 100% stepped over the line in the past. Do I regret the things that I’ve done in my time in Sin City? Not a chance. Here in Sin City, you can feed or... you can get chewed up and spit out. When I first came into Sin City as a member of the Young Lions, I was that doe eyed babyface. Here in Sin City you have to evolve or you won’t survive. Problem with Todd is he is so engulfed by his own ego that he believes he is unstoppable. His ego will be his demise. You see Todd is so focused on showing off, and undermining his partner Alanah that can you truly believe that his focus is on this week? He seems more focused on your husband then on the task at hand that is the Blast From The Past X. This is how mistakes are made in this tournament. If your sole focus is not on this week Todd, I’m going to chew you up and spit you out. You need to stop focusing on Jack Russow. You need to stop focusing on talking about your big... ego. You need to realise you can’t win this tournament on your own. Egos fall in this tournament every damn year. If you look too far ahead, you’re staring up at the lights at the end of the night. We all saw what happened in the opening round. You better check yourself.

Whoa what a ride that was. That wasn’t so bad. Now get me out of this damn thing.

Max: “I’m Todd Williams and I mean business.” Todd you’re so unfocused right now your little catchphrase doesn’t mean shit, Listen to yourself every week. Go home Todd. Be a dad. Be a husband. Stop fooling yourself. You should have never come back. Your ego was your downfall in SCU, and your ego will be the downfall in this tournament. You don’t really want this. Don’t worry we’ll solve that problem for you. Last week, Milo felt just how much my Nail In The Coffin absolutely sucks. This week it’s your turn. I’m going to make sure you get to use that suitcase that you keep talking about, but it’s not going to be Alanah stuffed in it. You’re packing your shit and going home.