Author Topic: Blast X Round 1  (Read 561 times)

Offline Max Burke

• GRIME World Nightmare Champion
  • Match Writers
    • View Profile
Blast X Round 1
« on: February 11, 2022, 10:28:53 PM »

Backstage at Inception V, we come upon Max Burke, and a few others gathered around a monitor as the names are drawn by Mark Ward and Christian Underwood for the Blast From The Past X tournament. Max is dressed in a sleek black suit. In his hand is his usual glass of whiskey on the rocks. His name is announced followed by an unexpected name.

Max: Well now, that's an interesting plot twist.

All I can do is smile as I hear that I will be partnering with Myra Rivers. The others all give a nod in approval, and I definitely hear quite a few sighs under their breath when they hear how I was the one who lucked out this year. I turn and walk away from the group as the numbers grow. I'll find out the rest of the pairings later. I've heard the only name I need to hear at this moment. Off to find Ben I go. Drinks will be poured. They will be poured frequently more than likely. Sorry Evie.

Max: That definitely works for me. Last year didn't go quite as planned for Amy and I. Myra and Mac Bane had an amazing run last year. They straight up beat us. They were damn good in our match. And then they went on a tear for the remainder of the Blast From The Past. I've got something to prove this year. I've been busting my arse for almost eight months to get to this moment.

All I can do is chuckle. I'm honestly ecstatic about this pairing. This whiskey is just what the doctor ordered to cap the night off. I better find Ben soon or he is going to be shit out of luck on the good stuff right here.

Max: So, this is a pleasant surprise. I never could have imagined that I would be paired up with Myra this year. That's the fun of the Blast, and why I keep coming back. You just never know how the draw is going to play out. Last year, in our match I could feel Myra's passion in that ring. You're blind if you don't see how much she wants this. It radiates off her. She is a technician after my own heart in there. We're a lot alike actually. We've taken our dips into the dark side when needed. However, no matter what it's for the good of our business. When you've been around this business as long as we have respect means something. Hell, I grew up with one of the most famous and infamous names in Maritime wrestling. If you don't have that respect, you'll definitely have a whole different level of it after squaring off with professional wrestlers like Myra Rivers and myself. I'm patiently waiting to hear who we will be staring across the ring from for the opening round.

I pause for a moment, measuring my words carefully.

Max: One thing is for certain. It doesn't matter the team's name that is drawn to step up in the opening round of Blast From The Past X against us. Rest assured, this year my focus is 100% on this match. No distractions. The machine is being restored and upgraded. I'm ready to reintroduce myself to everyone in Sin City Wrestling.

Into The Void X pre-show. Post Boombox Ladder match. This was a grueling encounter with Alex Rush. Laying in the ring looking up at the lights, and Alex Rush standing over me victoriously.. I feel it. That familiar pain. The pain of defeat. But, not just the pain of defeat. I wish it was just the pain of defeat. Nope, if only I could have been that lucky. This pain is all too familiar. Now is the waiting game to see how bad this is going to be.

Max: Damnit. Get the doc. I can't believe this is happening again. This is just fuckin' fantastic.

The ref nods, and throws up the infamous X. They turn to check on me. All I can do is muster a tentative thumps up as I slam my fist into the mat. I take a deep breath through the pain. I just need to close my eyes and block everything out until the doc gets here. I reach down, but dare not move my knee pad an inch. I don't know how bad it is, but it definitely feels bad as the adrenaline begins to wear down. The realization is setting in that this is the first step in a journey I was hoping I wouldn't have to take again. But, here we are. It wasn't a cake walk the first time. It definitely won't be any easier this time, but this is not how I'm going out. Not a chance. I've worked too damn hard on this comeback to go out like this. I'll be back. Count on it.

Max: Fuck. It's the same knee.

The doc slides in. She gives me a smile, and I muster one back gritting my teeth. Doctor Gracie Staggs' team is the best. I put her and her team through way too much during my GRIME Nightmare championship reign. I feel like Dalton in Roadhouse. They've patched me up so many times in the past year. Skip the freezing. Hit me with those staples doc.

Max: Ooooh hey Doc. I heard a pop. I was just hanging out here for a minute. Ya know... safety first. It's the same knee that I had repaired. Be gentle.

She reaches down, and starts to meticulously inspect the damage. She slowly and carefully moves my knee to get a feel for what's going on. It definitely doesn't feel great. I can tell you that much. Just got to keep a positive mindset no matter what this is.

Doc: Smart plan. You're going to be fine. You did it once. You'll do it again. Ok. I'm going to slide down your knee pad. I don't think I need to ask pain levels eh?

Ok she got me to crack. I've got a death grip on the towel that the doc brought into the ring as she inches my knee pad down. Fuckin' thing is already swelling up way too fast. That is not a good sign. Ok suck it up Max. Let's get the worst part over with.

Max: Lovely doc. Rip it like a bandaid. Let's go. Go ahead. Pain level? Solid 6 or 7 for sure. Ooook maybe a bit higher.

Doc: It's not ballet right? There we go. Let's get a better look now ok?

Max: Don't I know it. Do your thing. I'm not going anywhere am I.

Ok that was lame. The knee pad is fully off. Doc takes a closer look, and starts checking the damage. Yeah that doesn't feel right. She gets handed an ice pack, and places it on my knee gently. They are always so considerate of us. The cold creeps under my skin, and I'm immediately thankful for even a smidge of relief right now at this moment in time. Here comes the fun part. Let's see if I can put any weight on this.

Doc: Let's get you out of here. Nice and slow ok? Let them take your weight. You know the deal.

Max: You got it. Thanks doc. You're the best. Hell, the whole team is great. Tell them thanks for me. I have a feeling I might not be seeing the gang for a bit. Hopefully not too long.

Doc: You got it Max. You better not be a stranger. Everyone knows to come to you for a proper drink.

She's got a good point. Maybe I'll visit from time to time. Can't stay away forever. Easy does it as I slide out of the ring with some assistance from the exceptional SCU medical team. Ok yeah, that's not happening. I'm not even risking trying to put weight on this broken wheel. I need to be smart about this. You are not 20 anymore Max. Look on the bright side, this is the opportunity for the break I've earned. The real work begins now. Let's see how long it's going to take to get back. My story in professional wrestling isn't finished yet. Sin City is home, and I'll be back if it's the last thing I do.

(Friday February 11 2022)

Vegas at night. It's next level. You just can't truly appreciate it until you're here to experience it first hand. Tonight is a bucket list item checked off. I honestly have no clue how I've never been here before. I'm ashamed of myself. This is a must see when in Nevada.

Max: The time is finally here. Vegas at night is brilliant. You just can't comprehend. And when you think of Vegas you cannot not think of NEON. I've been wanting to visit here for way too long. Welcome to the world famous Neon Boneyard at the Neon Museum.

I make my way into the Boneyard. It truly is astonishing just how beautiful it is. You can almost feel the warmth of the signs as the colors light up the night sky.

Max: This is history. Vegas through the ages. You can hear the stories. Look at this. Can you even imagine? You can't help but feel nostalgic when you are surrounded by all of this.

The Neon Boneyard is a magical place. There is every color and sign possibility that you can think of and more. Every turn of the head reveals new rusty treasure. Just breathe in the cool evening air, and remember this. You're not home in the Maritimes where they have had over a hundred centimeters in three snowstorms. My back thanks you Sin City Wrestling and Mr. Mark Ward for the new contract just in time.

Max: It's hard to take it all in. This is what I love to do when I need to focus. Jump in the car, and drive without a destination. Let the road take you where you need to be. This week it's the opening round of the tenth anniversary of Blast From The Past. Myra and I have been matched against Audrey Russow and Miles Kasey. This week I come home to Sin City Wrestling. You see it's been quite the journey to get to this show for me. My last match was in May. That night at Inception V I squared off against Alex Rush in a ladder match. Let's just say I crashed and burned. That night I reinjured my surgically repaired knee.

Deeper and deeper into the Boneyard the path is illuminated by some of the best art I've ever witnessed in my life. It truly is inspiring. The history within this neon playground reminds of my lineage, and why I keep doing this. Professional wrestling is in my blood. I do this for my family. I do this for our future.

Max: Luckily, it was the best case scenario. Surgeon was as realistic as I was going in that day of the procedure. Given my history, he was adamant to open up my knee and get a proper look. Turns out it just needed a little clean up and there was a slight tear that needed repairing. I definitely dodged a bullet this time. I took the opportunity to rest and rehab some nagging things. The smartest decision I've ever made I think. I took my time. I didn't push it. I didn't rush it. This pandemic has for me just like it has for many people put things into perspective. It truly made me appreciate everything I have. My family. My friends. My health. This...

I just look down at my knee and shake my head. The shadows cast by the rusty neon gold are a photographer's dream. I really am falling in love with this place. I will be back. No doubt about it.

Max: This has been the bane of my existence, and also the catalyst for so many of my life-changing events. During my run in the Underground I went through hell and back week after week. You see this is where I differ from Miles. The young boy of the Wolfslair crumbles under the pressure. You let the monsters break you. Me? What did I do?

Memories flood back, and the smile on my face grows to Joker level proportions. I do feel like I'm in a movie walking through the Boneyard. I should have done this a helluva long time ago. The possibilities are endless.

Max: I spit in the face of The Monstimals' faces, and ripped Lord Raab's Nightmare championship from his bloody, broken clutches. The GRIME World Nightmare championship is the Roulette championship taken to the deepest darkest corners of your mind that you can imagine on a weekly basis. For the next EIGHT months, I bled buckets pretty much every match. I was burned for that championship. These matches tempered me like steel in a blacksmith's fire. These matches every week breathed new life into my career. You can't even imagine how that felt Milo. You crumbed. You know that.

Flashes of my rivalry with Hitamashii dance in my head. This was a game of one-upmanship that I treasured. There is nothing better than a bloody rivalry to sink your teeth into. We battled for months over my title.

Max: My rein set a record that stands to this day. No matter what they threw at me I found a way to come out on top. Hitamashii and his gang of misfit toys tried everything in the books and failed again and again. You see the more I bled, the more my confidence grew. With every title defense I proved night in and night out that my experience was a key to my success. Ifind a way to win by any means necessary. I've forgotten more moves than you have learned in your career, kid. Milo, you did a smart thing joining the ranks of the Wolfslair.

I turn the corner and am greeted by the iconic red glow of the Stardust neon. This sign is massive. It's awe-inspiring up close like this at ground level. This is definitely one of the selling points for sure. Good plan Max. Well done. Don't wait so long next time.

Max: You have a lot to learn Milo, you've admitted that in the past. It's commendable that you were aware of it. Surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals is extremely important to addressing holes in your game that you can work on. Seeking out help was the right thing to do. There is no doubt about that. There is a small issue though.

I soak in the warmth of the neon as I continue down the path.

Max: Let me ask you something Milo? I want you to really consider what I'm about to say. Listen closely to my words. Think hard.

I turn another corner, and there high in the night sky is a Vegas landmark. The Hard Rock Cafe guitar. The music lover that I am, I have to pause for an extra moment to take in the craftsmanship. This is another one that takes on a new life this close up. This is probably my new favorite. C'mon you can't deny music history.

Max: How's that working out for you? Wolfslair has had a rough go lately eh? You sought out the Wolfslair to work on your shortcomings, but how can you truly be confident in your personal growth and the outcome with the results of the team lately? Every member of your team has been coming up just a teeny tiny bit short over, and over again. It really must be disheartening to see your teammates' heartbreak time and again. It's always in the back of your mind. It's a ton of pressure. You want to be the one to turn things around don't you? Blast From The Past is your chance to get another chance at that big gold belt. Didn't go so well the last time you had a chance to get there right? Here's the thing Milo...

I reach the end of the Neon Boneyard, and it is admittedly far more wonderful than even I expected. I take one long last look around at which is without a doubt in my top five spots I've been lucky enough to visit due to this crazy life called professional wrestling.

Max: I hate to break it to you. It's not going to happen this week. I've been working towards this very moment since May. I have been 100% focused on this match. You need to realize that you have bitten off more than you can chew. This week is not the Wolfslair's rebound week. You see Myra has been on a tear. She took out myself and Amy in last year's Blast From The Past. I became a fan of Myra Rivers that evening. She was really impressive, and continued to impress me round after round. I watched Myra and Mac put on a clinic through every round. I don't think you can fathom how motivated she is to win this whole damn tournament this year. I've been so fired up because of how locked in Myra is right now. This is a year of retribution for both of us.

As I head out into the Nevada night my mind is clear, and I know what must be done. This is our year. I've been busting my ass at physiotherapy. I've been putting in the work at the gym. I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm ready. I've been ready for a while. I've never been this focused. This is our time.

Max: Miles... Audrey... be prepared for a fight come Climax Control. I've had some of my favorite Sin City Wrestling moments during Blast From The Past over the years. This tournament is all about the respect for professional wrestling and our storied history. You are stepping into the ring with Max Burke. I bleed this business. I need to reintroduce myself to everyone in a violent way. Milo I'm sorry it has to be you who is the victim of my pent-up aggression. It's been a long break. Too long. I need to stretch someone. Milo you are that someone. Milo do you know how long it's been since I suplexed someone that isn't my family or a student? Far too long. That ends Sunday. Sin City Wrestling you know my lineage. You know my history here. I'm always good for a fight. This Sunday, Myra Rivers and Max Burke send a message to the rest of the field. Unfortunately for Milo Kasey and Audrey Russow, you are the vessels for our message. Best of luck. See you Sunday.