Author Topic: Reconciliation  (Read 544 times)

Offline Alex Jones

• View Profile
    • Alex Jones
Reconciliation
« on: April 30, 2021, 12:24:26 AM »
Reconciliation

Things were better.

Not perfect, not how it was. But still better. The students, the senior members and instructors all seemed to gell and get over the problems of the past. But there was still tension in the air. Alex opened the gym, nhe set everything up. Did his warm up, talked to a few members who turned up then went and sat in his office. Paperwork and deals, the less glamorous side of wrestling and having a gym. He moved his hands writing and signing things at a furious pace.

His eyes moved up as he knew he was being watched. Feeling eyes on him as he let out a small sigh and tilted his head determined not to acknowledge it. Alex had always been stubborn. He had that streak in him where he was determined to do things his way.

But marriage kind of ends that. Sonya was also stubborn, it was a miracle their marriage and life together has been so calm and collected. The two rarely if ever fight and instead discuss things. Sonya always, always had Alexs’ back and was someone he trusted. In his life, with his past relationships trust was a premium. So having her there, having Sonya as his rock was important. But right now, he knew what she wanted to say, he knew the discussion was coming and Alex was doing everything to avoid it.

Sonya though, was doing everything she could to make it obvious and get his attention.

From making subtle noises, to moving around in her chair to face him, to flicking rubber bands. Sonya was trying everything but her patience, it seems, had limits.

”Ignorance won’t get you anywhere Alexander.” Alex laughed under his breath and looked up before sitting back in his chair and clasping his hands in his lap with his eyebrows up. Sonya gave a roll of her eyes, a tut and click of her tongue before getting to her feet. ”You need to talk to him.”

”Who?”

She growled and turned her nose up. ”You’re not a fucking owl. You know who.” Her arms folded over her chest, Alex couldn’t help but audibly groan and get to his feet moving towards the window looking out at the main floor of the gym. Sonya stood next to him matching his gaze. ”Stop avoiding it.”

”I’m not. But everything has worked out.” He smirked, thinking back to welcoming Austin back and joking with him. Admittedly they had not talked since then, but this is how it had always been. Sonya wasn’t taking this as an answer turning and hitting Alex in the shoulder. ”What? Seriously, the kid is back, he’s working hard, everyone else is fine with him…” Sonya just stared. Her piercing blue eyes staying locked on Alex, he swallowed hard as she again folded her arms over her chest and her lips twisted into an unimpressed scowl.”Fine.” He turned and walked towards the door shoving it open as Sonya laughed and had a wry smile on her face. Alex grumbled and walked out across the gym.

Everyone looked trying not to be obvious as they did. Alex sighed and moved around into the weightroom finding Austin laying back on the bench press. He grunted and pushed up on the bar before looking over at Alex. ”Hey, little help?” Alex moved around lightly pulling the bar back into position and lowering it as Austin sat up, he wiped down where he was laying and got to his feet with a nod. ”Thanks.”

Alex gave a nod back and leaned against the door folding his arms. ”So, how you doing?”

Austin laughed and gave a small shrug before sighing heavily. ”I don’t know honestly. I apologised, I’ve been working with everyone. But something still seems, I dunno”

”Off?”

”Yeah. Like even though people accepted it all they still want the old Austin back.” He sighed and shook his head as he started to undo the tape around his wrists. He pulled on it hard and twirled it as Alex just stayed silent. ”But, I changed, I know I did. Maybe for the worse, but I just can’t go back to ignoring bullshit and just smiling happily ya know?” Alex smirked and nodded in agreement. Austin sighed and shook his head. ”But...I’ll keep my annoyance and anger for those outside the gym. In here, with everyone else?...we’re family.”

Austin smirked and shrugged his shoulders as Alex stepped forward. ”I have no problems with that. Thing is, I get it. I always got it you just didn’t want to listen.” He paused not wanting this to come off as a lecture. ”You kept telling me I went to far, I told you back then it was us against them. Wolfslair isn’t just a gym it’s an idea. Outside the ring, we help each other, but inside the ring, we destroy everyone.”

He offered his fist, Austin looked down and smiled before bumping it with his. A wave of relief washed over Alex as he backed up and looked around the area. Austin had been putting in work, he was determined. And it was now time for Alex to match that.

The Bulldog

”Here we go. My first defence.”

Alex smiled, his long hair tied back as he looked over at the roulette title.

”You know, many people said that I shouldn’t have had that title shot and to be honest they were right. I didn’t really do anything to earn it. But, that is what stock gets you. You built up equity in a company and the business itself and you get opportunities based on that. And I get it, some people don’t think that is fair. But people like myself, Austin, Alicia, even Johanna. We have earned that kind of treatment. Some others have to, whether you like it or not Crystal has, Roxi has, Fenris has, Mercedes, Ben Jordan, Vinnie, even Myra Rivers with her historic reign.”

“When you stay in a company, roll with the punches and constantly show that you are the top, you get opportunities.”

“The ones I can’t understand are those like Jesse Salco, Caleb Storms and my opponent this week Bill Barnhart.”

“Those names are people who have had longer tenures and gave handed opportunities for simply not knowing when to fucking quit. And, hey I understand, sometimes when people get on a little run they get rewarded, a small carrot thrown at them. Caleb took that carrot and made it into a salad by “winning” the internet title.,”

Alex pauses for a moment and rolls his eyes, trying to not go on a rant he clears his throat and refocuses back on Mr Barnhart.

”Bill, it’s a matter of public record here that you have a win over me. On that night you were at the best you have ever been, you were the bad ass veteran we all thought you were. You were a big beefy bad ass. And me? Well, I wasn’t. I have been going through so many things when it comes to my career and standing up in the last two years but, a few weeks ago it clicked. I’m not the same man I was fifteen years ago. Not physically and not mentally. I can’t act like the same angry kid with a chip on my shoulder when I’m 36 years old. That isn’t how life works.”

“So yeah, the best you was able to beat me one on one. Awesome.”

“But, ask yourself. Was I at my best then?”

“Was the Alex Jones you beat the same one that stands before you now? I have been doing this in some form or another for 18 years, from the moment I graduated high school and sighed up at a gym I have been eating, sleeping, living and breathing professional wrestling. I have had my ass kicked by bigger and better men than you. I have also beaten better men than you. I showed I can keep up with the new crop of kids when I beat Milo Kasey and then Cassian Reed. Two exciting talents that will only get better.”

“What have you done Bill?”

Alex laughs to himself and shakes his head before pulling the Roulette title up and over his shoulder.

”You got handed this shot because you impressed in a losing effort. I needed and wanted to defend this title so they gave you a shot. And now here you are gearing up for this opportunity but while I can sit here and talk about how you’re a veteran and you try hard week in and week out you will never do the same for ANYBODY. You won’t look at a man like Austin James Mercer and give him props for being a world champion or the internet champion, you don’t give a shit about anyone but yourself.”

“You beat me, you were better than me. Once.”

“But I have been consistently better than you.”

“At into the void Caleb Storms and Milo Kasey are waiting for me and I will be the one to go on to face them because they deserve someone who will appreciate the gravity of the match ahead of them and this championship. A title built on unpredictability and chaos, one that should not be held by someone as horrible and predictable as you. Seriously Bill, go back and watch your promos against me or Austin, or anyone for that matter. Have you ever given a shit about the company or peoples accomplishments in it?”

He pauses again waiting for an answer that simply will not come.

”You bury your head in the sand, make stupid jokes and expect any of us to give you respect? I can look at Caleb and Milo, mI can see what they have done and what they couple accomplish where ou, well, don’t. And I get why Bill. See I asked what you’ve done since you beat me. And if you asked me that question. Well. I’ve been a triple crown champion. I won the Sin City Wrestling mixed tag titles with Johanna and went on a great run defending them the most.”

“Where is your mixed tag title reign with your wife Bill?”

“I must have fallen asleep and missed the whole thing. Or hey what about your world title reign, have you had one of those in SCW? Cause I sure as shit have. I beat Griffin Hawkins and watched him sulk his way out of the company and throw a massive tantrum about it. And then to top it off. I have this. The Roulette title. So, I am one championship off being able to say I am a grand slam champion, I am a triple crown champion and I have earned it every damn step of the way and now? Now that I have been able to step back and realize i'm not the same kid as I was in 2003 I can finally move on, get better and realise that the rest of my career can still be great.”

“But, that’s the difference between us Bill. I recognise others, I recognise the faults in myself and I push forward to overcome them and be better.”

He steps back and smirks, his hand clutching the title hard as he looks at the nameplate and back up again.

”So, after all that. After going through our history as well as your attitude towards not only myself but everyone else. After reminding you of what I have been able to accomplish just in this company, I have to ask..yet again…”

“What have you done?”