Author Topic: Kedron Williams (c) v Mac Bane - Roulette Championship  (Read 1802 times)

Offline SCW Staff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kedron Williams (c) v Mac Bane - Roulette Championship
« on: November 08, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
Post all roleplays for this match here.

Limits: One roleplay per week, 10,000 words max.

Good luck!

Offline Mac

• View Profile
Re: Kedron Williams (c) v Mac Bane - Roulette Championship
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »
“You’re a daisy if you do” - Doc Holiday, Tombstone

Issues and colors
Las Vegas, Nevada
/Scene Opens\

[off-camera]

two weeks ago

After the commotion in the bar had been settled, I made my way out to my Harley. The bar fight had definitely made me feel a bit better as I walked out into the evening air. Two men approached me as I approached my bike. The taller one was about my size, wearing colors for all the world to see. The patch of the “Bandidos” on his chest. Cheap sunglasses to finish off the tired old look that should have died with “The Sons of Anarchy”. The smaller man, he was the true danger here. He slid the Oakley sunglasses off and put out a blocking hand to stop the bigger man's progress.

“Mr. Bane, might I have a word with you? As civil as possible if you please.”

I smiled at the smaller man, he reeked of expensive cologne and wise decisions in life. So I stopped near my bike, took off my jacket, and rolled up my long sleeves, I laid the jacket across the saddle of my motorcycle.

“Alright, you go first and I’ll listen for a moment at least.”

He returned my feral smile, I liked that about this guy. He nodded in acceptance of the proffered terms of engagement. He's hired muscle growled at me forcing me to laugh.

“That’s a fair exchange, Mr. Bane.”

I dig my skull cap out of my back pocket, securing it in place. He’s watching my movements, weighing and measuring. He thinks he can take me but he’s not convinced. He continues.

“Interesting colors you wear, I don’t recognize them, a new MC?”

I shrug, allow him to keep guessing.

“Perhaps, maybe I’m just some guy who likes to ride and I have no loyalties at all.”

He smiles again.

“Mr. Bane, two things you should know. First and foremost, I know who you are and that at least part of your family lives here in Las Vegas. The second thing you should know is that my club is establishing its presence here and not you or anyone else can prevent that.”

I roll my eyes and sigh.

“If you don’t mind, Chief, I prefer my threats to be a bit more direct. You don’t seem skilled in the nuances of a veiled threat. Whatever you’re here doing….I could give a fuck about that. You don’t scare me nor do you or your hired goon impress me.”

I set my right foot, making sure my balance is proper in case his moron decides to do something stupid. He glares at me, but then physically relaxes.

“Fair enough Mr. Bane.”

I hold up a finger.

“Look, Mr. Bane died some twenty years ago. I’m Mac, but you already know that.”

An easy-going slippery smile appears on his face.

“Yes I do, more importantly, I knew your father as well. Maximilian Bane, probably the greatest Texas Heavyweight Wrestling Champion the state had ever known.”

I shrug again, nonplussed as this is all public knowledge.

“A simple google search would tell you all of that.”

I say it is a simple and factual manner, with no hint of emotion or the rising annoyance I’m feeling right now.

“I’m assuming there’s a point to all of this? I mean other than stay out of our way or else...that’s such a tired old trope and it’s really starting to piss me off.”

His eyebrows arch either in annoyance or surprise. The surprise is my bet, I feel certain that he’s not used to being spoken to in this way.

“My point, yes, I’m offering you a position within my organization. That was my plan even before you cleaned house in there.”

He says pointing over his shoulder at the bar.

“When I say I knew your father, I meant that he was on my payroll. He worked for me up until the day he passed away.”
“Well, life is just full of these little surprises, isn’t it. So you’re telling me that my father was a part of organized crime, his entire career? Is that what the fuck you’re saying to me?!”

He holds up his hands in mock surrender.

“Not like that, no, he wasn’t running guns or drugs or anything like that. That was the old way. The new way is...well it’s more sophisticated and we’ve branched out into various other avenues.”

I shake my head in disgust.

“Fixers.”

He smiles and nods his head in agreement.

“Yes, that’s the antiquated term that is used from time to time.”

Before he can continue with his sales pitch, I cut him off.

“I’m not a good person, I do have lines even I won’t cross. Fixing matches? Nah, I'm good, Chief. Good luck to you though. You’re gonna fucking need it in this town.”

/Fade\

In the studio
Mac’s Home Studio in Vegas
/Scene Opens\

I sit in silence thinking of what I want to say. I rub the left arm of the soft Sin City sweatshirt they’d given me when I signed my contract. It’s a soft sweatshirt and really kinda perfect for this. I look up at the flashing red eye of the camera and smile. Then I look at the picture of Amber and I was surrounded by family and friends after our engagement was announced.

A lot of people around here like to stir the pot. Take O’Malley for example, seconds after I had won the right to face him for the Roulette title, he made his way out to talk shit to me like I’m some rookie. He was a pretty decent champion but ultimately his lack of focus caused him to fail. He underestimated a former champion and lost his title. So, Instead of facing him, I get to face the company Warlock or whatever.

I roll my eyes at the mention of it.

I guess your pact with whatever patron you fell in league with, didn’t give you powerful enough to retain that title, to begin with, did it? It didn’t make you clairvoyant enough to prevent yourself from being submerged in a pool of your own mediocrity on the cruise, did it? It certainly won’t prevent me from knocking your teeth down your throat to claim what’s mine.

I flash a smile at the camera and then a wink.

I didn’t want there to be any misunderstandings about who I am or what I’m about. I told everyone when I arrived that those titles that this company holds in such high regard would be mine, one by one like pokemon, I gotta have ‘em all. So far there’s only one guy in Sin City that believes me and he put it out on Twitter for the world to see. Who was that guy you might ask? Christian Underwood recognizes me for what I am and what I’ll mean to this company. I put asses in seats, just like my fiance Amber does. We’re the kind of people that raise the wrestling IQ and the credibility of any company we enter.

I square my shoulders, setting my jaw, my gaze hardens.

I never try to pretend to be something I’m not, Kedron. I’m a very real threat to every damn title in this company. You just get to be first. The first of many. You don’t have to like it, you don’t even have to believe it. When it happens, I won’t even tell you I told you so. I won’t have to, you’ll know it’s implied. There’s no malice here little man, I do what I do because I love to fight. You could even say I live for it. We haven’t met yet, so we have no reason to feel one way or another about each other.

Yet.

/Fade\

Glitter and Blood
Las Vegas, NV - Bane’s House
/Scene Opens\

I rarely have sympathy for anyone, but Amber Ryan wasn’t just anyone. She was my world and the rest of the world knew that I would die protecting her. The problem is that in Sin City Wrestling, male on female violence is prohibited. I’d watched her and her battle with the so-called hero of SCW. That cunt definitely lived in a glasshouse. The scene from the tarmac had stuck with me. The glitter that was stuck to her, the matted blood that caused mine to boil. This was her war though, and I had no place in it. At least until someone gets involved that’s actually a male. Then at that point, I can assert my presence in that fight. Until then I could do nothing more than offer support and love. So, that’s what I did. She still limped slightly coming down the hallway. We knew each other so well, as she passed me with her hand out, I handed her a cup of coffee. She studies it for a moment looking down at the dark liquid.
“Yes dear, it’s black, as black as our collective souls.”

That got a smile out of her and a half-hearted laugh.

“According to the Sin City faithful in any event.”

I add as she walked toward the back door of the house, all I got in return was a grunt of amusement. Which is normal at this time of the morning. She’s not a big talker early in the day. So I let her go on the back deck.

“I almost feel sorry for you, Roxy. Almost.”

I finish stirring my coffee and then make my way outback. She’s had a few sips of coffee and she’s continuing to stare at the diamond ring on her left hand. I had caught her staring at it on several occasions since we had gotten engaged. Every once in awhile, I’d chuckle as I saw her pinch herself. Her post on social media, about even the bad guy getting a happy ending, had stuck with me. I step out onto the deck to find her once again staring at the ring. Granted that thing is huge. I felt a man should show how much someone means to them. I’m sure that some would call it showing off. Maybe it was, I mean hell, it didn’t even put a dent in my bank account. She deserved it. She deserved to be truly happy and I kinda felt like I did as well. So, I clear my throat as I walk towards her, causing her to blush, if only very slightly.

“Damnit, Mac!”

I give her a warm smile and a kiss as I walk past her.

“Yes Ma’am?”

She tries to glare at me over her coffee cup and I smile even more broadly.

“You’re a turd, scaring me like that.”

“Yes ma’am, I certainly am, but I’m thrilled that you like the ring so much.”

She stares down at it again and that smile blossoms from her again.

“I...I really do, it’s fucking gorgeous.”

She reaches down to pinch herself and I take her hand in mine. Kissing her knuckles lightly.

“It’s real Amber, as real as anything you’ve ever felt. I love you more than I can really put into words. You are my world, and no matter what. No matter what we do, as long as we do it together, it will always work out.”

/Fade\

In-Studio/color]
Las Vegas
/Scene Opens\

I get ready for the second and last session, for the time being. I’ve abandoned the mesh-backed office chair. I stand in front of a microphone on an actual stand this time. I double-check the pop filter to make sure it’s secure before I begin.

So, all that being said, how will the man who doesn’t covet titles and belittles the emotions of others as a weakness. How will he react when I take that title away from him?

I openly smirk at the camera now, allowing my confidence to shine through.

How did it feel the last time you lost that title? Did it elicit any emotions from you at all? Not that I expect you to talk about it publicly. No, you’re a proud man and a damn fine wrestler Kedron. I think what you are mostly is a fraud. A Warlock? Maybe, it is twenty after all, and the way this year has gone, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised or shocked.

I pick up the tumbler that holds my favorite scotch in it and sips on it lightly.

Grand Cru, I highly recommend it, if you are interested in those kinds of things.

I smile and set the tumbler back down.

Just as you were to be a legitimate challenger for O’Malley, I was deemed the same by this company. Granted, Bill is not exactly a top-flight talent, but he’s a tough bastard. I'll give him that. I’m not O’Malley, I’m certainly not Bill. I’m much more than either of them. People like you always look at the way I dress and the way I speak. The first thing that pops out of your mouth. Oh, he’s just some dumb redneck, he’s not even a real cowboy.

The smile is now gone, I lean in towards the camera.

I certainly hope that’s what you believe Williams, I really do, because when people think that way towards me. The feeling of euphoria as I put them in their place. It just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I can’t even get from a bottle of scotch.

I rock back on my heels and allow the self-confident smile to return.

I’ve been doing this for a long time Kedron, this will hardly be the first of this kind of title that I would have won in my career. No far from it. I could list them off, but why bother, no one in Sin City would care. Just like they wouldn’t care about the number of times I’ve been inducted into a company hall of fame. They won’t care or believe until they see your shoulders pinned to the mat and my hand raised in victory. That’s when they’ll realize that I’m the real deal and not just spouting bullshit because I like the sound of my own voice.

/Fade\

Offline Son of Salem

• View Profile
    • Kedron Williams
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 06:34:55 PM »
Season of the Witch III

Salem, Massachusetts -
October 31, 1695

In Colonial America, the mortality rate for adults could be as low as their early twenties, if they even managed to reach that. Many 'adults' would go on to meet their Maker when they reached their upper teens, nineteen being a year seen by young eyes as both old and cursed. If you lived past your twenties and was lucky enough to become one of the elders, you were looked upon with awe and reverence. It was obvious that you were special in the eyes of the Lord, 'chosen' as it were. It was why the elders commanded so much respect in the small town of Salem, and their word was law.

However, if you were a small child, the chances of survival were reduced drastically. Not only was there harsh winters and new diseases with woefully unprepared doctors to care for you, but if hunting or crops failed, hunger would gnaw away at your belly and leave you in a ripe and weakened state. The local wildlife could also find the young as the easiest prey, helpless and without weapons in which to defend themselves. Rumors and tales were whispered of the wildcats that reached through the cracks in the walls of the homestead to snatch away your babies into the night to take back to their lair.

The small boy that laid in his sick bed had not influenza, nor the other high ranked causes of death, such as small pox or typhoid fever. But his skin paled with a sickly yellow, and the sweat that glistened from his pores had the faint traces of a sour scent. The hand, wrinkled with age, caressed the boy's cheek, and then gently brushed the sweat soaked strands of jet black hair from his cherubic face. The elder female, a woman that had miraculously made it to her late-sixties, sat at the edge of his bed and leaned over, gently pressing her lips against his forehead. The boy's body stirred in discomfort as she sat upright, and a second woman entered the room, this one being much younger, in her twenties perhaps. She wore a dressing gown as if she were preparing to retire to bed, but the call to help one of their own had been strong, and her concern grew. Her honey-gold hair hung low over the shoulders of her dressing gown, as the only light in the room was both the candle in her hand, and the one the elder placed on the oak carved stand at the child's bedside.

Abitha: How is Kedron?

Yes, that Kedron. The very same as the one who stands now, a man that reigns as the current Roulette Champion. An innocent child that grew up to become the "Son of Salem."

The elder, clad in her own dressing gown and her iron gray hair hung low to her waistline, continued to stare down at the boy.

Abitha: Judith?

Spoken as an equal, the younger woman questioned again. The elder, Judith Taylor, exhaled gently through her pursed lips as she turned her attention momentarily from her 'patient' to but one of her 'sisters' of the Craft. She shook her head.

Judith: His fever grows as his weakness does. I do not understand it. He does not have the disease that have taken others in the village. of that I am certain.

Young Abitha Browne stepped up to the boy's bedside to examine him herself. She looked him over with a motherly concern of her own, but a fresh horror of an idea passed her mind, and she looked to Judith.

Abitha: Could he be 'touched?' Given to whom his mother was...

Judith: No. Of that I am certain. He is ill, it is just a matter of discovering how, and what form before...

She shared a disconcerting glance with the younger of the two and sighed.

Judith: Just, before.

She stood up slowly, her joints stiff and pained from the cool, wet weather they suffered from this Autumn. Her movement drew the coarse blanket from Kedron's bare foot and Abitha moved to cover him back up, when the dancing light from her candle's flame gave her pause. She saw something.

Abitha: Judith, look. Look at this!

Judith walked around to the foot of the small bed and leaned in to closely examine where Abitha's fingertips touched. A bite mark, just below the child's ankle. The two women then shared a look between them.

Judith: Snake bite. It must be! Quickly! Fetch my things, and our sisters! Before the venom reaches his heart!

Abitha did as she was told, hurrying from the room as Judith takes Kedron's hand in her own and pats it with a motherly concern...

"You saved my life that night. You all did. I can remember even that, despite the fevered dreams that venom from the rattlesnake caused me. Yes, back then I was as mortal as anyone else that walked the Earth, prone to the same sicknesses and disease that cursed anyone else. But this...? I can not deny that the affliction that you saved me from was of my own doing. Dear Judith, you had always warned me against walking barefoot in the strange woods that surrounded our community, but I was my mother's son. Stubborn. Prideful."

"Foolish. If only you knew then what I would have become, perhaps you would have done the smart thing and allowed me to simply slip away. You saved me, and look at how I repaid you."

London, England -
October 31, 1700

They watched as the fire grew from the base of the pyre. Green wood had been used as was the tradition with hunters; reason being it caused the fire to burn hotter and for longer. It purified the condemned and was as the fires of Hell to which the accused would be condemned to for all eternity. The scourge of their kind, Noah Jordan, stood in righteous fervor as he, and the townspeople, watched the fires consume the life of Abigail Williams. The very same witch whom had put Salem on the map. The very one who had kick started the historically infamous Witch Trials.

And the only one who was actually what many innocent had been condemned as.

The death of a witch, by fire or drowning or hanging, was seen as a public spectacle. All good followers of the Lord had the right to bear witness. Even those who were not of the community, and whom could not be seen. Or rather, ignored.

A small handful of spectral figures stood amongst the judging townsfolk. All women, each of varied age from youth to elder, all save for one. The young lad who stood in defiance, and who attempted to best control his emotions at witnessing the death, the murder, of his mother. And his dark eyes shifted to bear down on Noah Jordan, and an unbridled hatred rose in his breast.

The hand of Judith Taylor found a place on the boy's shoulder, and his rising anger abated. None of the townsfolk paid them no mind, for they could not see them. But before the light in her eyes dimmed, Abigail Williams saw. She saw her former coven come to pay their respects -- and she saw her son.

And in Salem, a young boy fell against his elder's body and cried heavily.

"To this day, I still don't understand why you did that for me. I had known from an early age that my mother had fallen from grace in your eyes, and that was why she had been excommunicated from the coven. You had described her as radical and an extremist. You told me that she had befriended the Nosferatu, a claim I had scoffed at then. Not so much now."

"But you also told me, repeatedly, that despite all her faults, of which there had been many, she also loved me dearly. You told me that was why she had not taken me to England with her, and instead left me in the care of the very women who had once been as sisters to her."

"That was why you made such a journey. It was why, despite all animosity, you had hoped to save her but had been too late. That was why you worked such magic so as to pay your respects that day, and despite the objections of the entire coven, you allowed me to watch my mother's final moments. The horror of that still haunts me to this day, and I believe it was the catalyst for a lifetime of mistakes. But those were my own. None of which were your fault. You loved me as if I were your own."

"I just wish now that your love had been enough."

Salem, Massachusetts -
October 30, 2020 - 11:59 PM

The ground in the clearing was littered with leaves of many colors, the Autumn had taken effect earlier than normal this year. Reds. Yellows. Oranges. What had once been green, the circle of nature. Rinoa loved these times best, more so than any other. Oh how she enjoyed her walks through the woods on their land, simply enjoying the falling of the leaves, the colors changing through the branches, and the soft rustle of her feet walking over the fallen leaves.

But Rinoa was not here, and the day had long passed the Williams by. Kedron had left on his own, not by choice but by necessity. This was, after all, his burden to bare. And while Rinoa would have gladly shouldered her share for the sake of her love, he would not have it. The crime was his, as was the guilt.

It was why he laid at the altar she had taken such great pains to ensure perfection for him. His back flat against the ground, and his head nestled in a pile of leaves, his long, black hair spread out like a cloud of ink swirling in a bowl of water. No candles were lit. In the woods, it would be far too dangerous. The light of the moon was enough, and was traditional. Nature in all its glory.

Kedron's eyes remained closed, his hands clasped together at his waist. All he could do was wait. He had no clock or watch to tell the time, just his uncanny senses. He would know, for this All Hallow's Eve was different than so many others that have come and gone. This year of 2020, not only was the moon high above full, but it was the second such full moon in the month of October. A blue moon.

Such a rarity, that it was taken as a sign.

And then, at the stroke of midnight, his eyes opened. He knew they were there. He could feel their presence. He could smell the ginger that always had seemed to permeate Phila as she would so often cook with it. The wind blew, and the lovely scent of orchid struck him. The favored scent of Judith Taylor, the woman he had loved as a grandmother.

His eyes were wet and throat dry. He swallowed hard, and licked at his dry lips.

"I will not ask you to forgive me."

"I will admit that it was my original purpose tonight, but as time moved on, I realized and understood that it was neither my place nor my right. My crimes against you that night were unforgivable, so how could I ask you for such a gift as your forgiveness?

"Oh deep down, I know and I understand. I am all too aware that it was not by any of your hands the cause of my torments. The nightmares I have been suffering from are of my own making. For years on end, I suffered no ill dreams because I simply did not have the heart for it. Then that heart, my very soul, was returned to me, and with it? All of the burdens that went along with it. I had almost forgotten what it was like to ... feel. I thought of myself as a creature of instinct. I acted, and paid no mind to the consequences I inflicted on others or myself."

"I felt nothing. Nothing save for the stirrings Rinoa caused deep within me. I have never understood how a man without heart or soul could feel such strong pangs of love. I was under neither coercion nor enchantment, but she had me captivated from the very first day I laid eyes on her."

Kedron closed his eyes and breathed in deeply, an effort to control his emotions that threatened to break as a raging storm against a dam, but more so to continue to savor the scents. A desperate cling to what he had lost so long ago. He shook his head and a smile crept up on his lips.

"Oh how I wish you could have met my Rinoa. You would have loved her, and she you. For all my faults, of which there are many I admit, she has loved me without condition. That one gift astounds me to this very day. And even though I admit that I am an imperfect creature in an imperfect world, she saved me. Just by loving me enough to betray me by working alongside an enemy. Giving me back what I have away freely, with all of it's glorious burdens."

"I will never understand the how's or why's she loves me as she does, but it is one gift I will not fight against. I am not a good man. But Rinoa makes me want to be."

"That was why we sent her to you."

Kedron's eyes snapped open, and he sat upright in the clearing. He had heard the voice as clearly as if they had been right next to one another. The same who had come running when he was sick with fever. The woman who defended him staunchly when a young Salem girl had accused him of engaging with her, unspeakable acts. The voice of his adoptive grandmother.

Judith Taylor.

"That was why we sent her to you."

He closed his eyes and wept. He did not need to ask to be forgiven, because he already had been.

Kedron Williams: "Mac Bane... well! What are we to do with you?"

"This is an interesting situation that I find myself in, Mac. For the longest of times, I had hand selected when and where I would set foot inside of the ring, against an opponent that had been chosen for me to test my skills against. For the longest of time, I had been consumed professionally by Ben Jordan, but once those issues were -- settled, I suppose you could say -- I found myself in something of a conundrum."

"I was without direction. I felt my life had no true purpose because my set goal had ended in failure, an admission that I am both relieved and disgusted by. I continued about my personal schedule, only competing when it amused me, but it would seem I no longer have that luxury. And why? Simply put..."

Kedron held up the Roulette title belt in one hand.

Kedron Williams: "... Because of this. It's funny, isn't it? How so many men and women, those we fight against and alongside, strive to be the very best in the eyes of their peers, to hold such a championship. They have come to the belief that holding a championship title, wearing a belt around their waist, will not only grant them honor and respect from those around them, but from perfect strangers as well? But such an adornment would also grant them a freedom in their career. Power."

He shook his head, looking downward as his long hair felt in sheets around his face.

Kedron Williams: "What fools you mortals be. If anything, holding one of these simply binds you tighter, restricts you. It is why I am here, and will soon be meeting you inside of the ring at High Stakes X. Apparently you earned this chance to fight for the Roulette championship, and many had predicted that you would be challenging O'Malley for the title when November 22 came about."

Kedron paused and waved a hand idly as if in mock boredom.

Kedron Williams: "Only that was not to be, and I wonder if you're not too disappointed. from what I can gather, nobody had expected O'Malley to have dropped his precious championship when he did. They had believed he would have had a much longer title reign, but fate can be a cruel bitch. Because for all the challenges he was able to overcome, the one he had not met was the man he had defeated for the title in the first place way back when on that dreadful cruise ship. Only, he didn't really beat me, did he?"

Kedron shook his head.

Kedron Williams: "No, you can hardly call it defeat when you win by sending your opponent into a swimming pool, but the shims of the SCW higher ups are hard to predict, even for me. So when I was ready, and when I opted to finally 'cash in my return match, it was all but as foregone conclusion. O'Malley fought bravely, and had defended successfully against many a variable challenge, but against me? The championship was again my own, and you...?"

Kedron frowned, then crossed his forearms over his bended knees, leaning forward.

Kedron Williams: "I hope that you're not too disappointed, Mac. If you were like anyone else, you had probably spent all of your time preparing to face that Irishman, and instead you find yourself pitted against the talents of a Salem descendant. Take a look, if you will, at the wealth of experience I have had inside of the ring against some of the notable talents in SCW. Highest among them, former World Champion, Benjamin Jordan. Current Internet Champion, Teddy Steele-Warren? Defeated him. And why just this past week, I faced none other than former World Champion, and possibly soon to be again, Austin James Mercer. Defeated him."

"And then, here you are. my opposition. My challenger. The man who had earned this title opportunity, but that seemed to be as far as you've been able to grasp when it comes to glory. After all, what else have you really managed to accomplish since winning that match at Violent Conduct? Who did you beat? Lachlan Kane? Agostino Romano?"

Kedron smirked with an audible scoff.

Kedron Williams: "Stephen Callaway? Please! Bottom feeders, one and all, at best! And yet when you are expected to face greater challenges, say -- teaming with your lovely woman against the Black Sheep? You fall in defeat. And yet you think that you are just going to waltz into the ring and take what is mine? Sorry Mac, but no. Your mid card performances will continue, and you will remain without gold to call your own."

Kedron's visage was then in a close up against the camera.

Kedron Williams: "I am the Bane of your existence."[/font]
>

I believe Satan to exist for two reasons:

1- The Bible says so.
2- I've done business with Him.

Offline Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
“When change cometh, she will bring peace at her back. She will not bend to your will; you must bend to hers.”
― Adriana Mather, How to Hang a Witch

Preamble

I take my customary place in front of the microphone stand, pressing the button on the remote, I wait for the light to begin flashing red and then I begin.

“Welcome to my preamble for the Roulette Championship match.” I say with a smile on my face as I spread my arms out in a welcoming gesture. “My introduction if you will, for those unaware of what a preamble is.”

I bring my arms back in, and place my hands in front of me, casually in front of my belt buckle.
“I felt it only fair to do this in order for my intentions to be made clear. So, there are no misunderstandings between myself and the so-called roulette champion. As is normally the case when I speak, I begin using my hands as I speak, slamming one hand into the other for emphasis. ”My intentions at this point should be clear. I will do everything in my power to liberate that championship from the man who doesn’t deserve it or want it. He’s made his opinions of me clear, but that’s all about to change. Not only am I going to change your opinion of who I am and what I’m about. I’m about to change your perspective on a great many things.”

I stop with my hands, my right hand still balled in a fist and covered by my left hand. Inhaling slowly, I elect to impart a little wisdom. “It is said that the only constant in this world, especially now, is change.” I open both hands, steepling my fingers, I lean towards the camera. ”Things constantly shift and change around us. Unlike my opponent at High Stakes Ten, I’m aware that nothing is etched in stone.” Leaning back to my original position, I allow my hands to fall back by my sides. “I’m aware that there is a constant state of flux in this world in general and in this business to be more specific.” I give the camera a crooked smile, “Nothing is forever, especially not title holders.”

I cross my arms in a defensive gesture, The champions of our sport are supposed to be stewards of the company they work for. Making sure that the championships they carry are represented in a professional manner. With my arms still crossed I shake my head in disgust, “That they make the title they carry mean something, no matter where in the pecking order it falls.It’s not the championship that’s supposed to make the man. It’s the man who carries that championship that’s supposed to make it mean something more than what it is. That’s why those who manage to do that  prosper,  and those who can't….?

With arms still crossed I simply shrug my shoulders, “They simply go away, they don’t matter and they don’t put asses in seats. The reason I’ve always said...Champions come and champions go, there is but one constant...

The fight.

That’s what I represent and that’s who I am at my core.”

Uncrossing my arms, I continue. “People like you are always the same, you live in past glories, so full of yourself and so sure that none can stand against you. You talk about past wars with people as if they are relevant to our match. You know nothing of me but what you’ve seen here in Sin City, too fearful to see past your own window. A man of the world, but you show no knowledge of it. I would expect such a seasoned professional to acknowledge life outside of his own fishbowl. That would be a bit outside of your own comfort zone though wouldn’t it? Too much effort to make sure you know what you’re talking about when you start flapping your gums.”

I shrug my shoulders again, “There is only one person within Sin City that can halt the momentum I’ve started with. His name is not Kedron Williams. You keep right on talking about me like I don’t matter and I’ll show you how much I do matter. Not just to this division but to this company. I may be new to you, but I’m certainly not new to this sport or this industry.”

I allow a genuine smile to come to my face as I lean towards the camera again. “Funny thing about the way you approached me in your previous promo. You started trying to bury me with the fact that you didn’t think I’d beaten anyone. On the fact that my only match teaming with Red was a loss. It’s like when you’re fighting with someone on social media, you resort to profanity, you’ve already lost.”

The smile shifts, becoming something almost feral looking. “I’m glad, that lets me know you’re terrified of losing that belt. My time in Sin City has not been one hundred percent successful, that much is true. That cluster fuck of an event you could hardly call a mixed tag match. So, who have I beaten in singles competition? Everyone they’ve set before me, you’re really bad at this whole occult being a douchebag thing. Maybe you don’t realize it. Much like your unintended irony. Much like your being a Roulette champion, my mid-card status is a temporary thing.

I square my shoulders and set my jaw, now speaking between clenched teeth.

“More importantly though, you don’t seem to grasp the status of that championship belt to begin with. You think holding a glorified hardcore title makes you a main eventer? So, not only are you a fraud but you’re also an idiot with delusions of grandeur. This all goes back to what I was saying about the people holding these titles are supposed to be a representative of our sport. The reason there is a limited influx of talent is because you and your predecessor made the title meaningless. I saw this from afar and it’s one of the reasons I’m here. To put all champions on notice, the lack of effort has been noticed by people outside of Sin City. I’m here to make this title and all the others matter again.

I make my eagerness obvious as I begin rubbing my hands together in anticipation of the match.

“The stakes for you have never been higher, you have everything to lose and I have everything to gain. Bottom line is, it doesn’t matter what you think of me or my ability, I’ve got nearly two decades of track record to back up everything I say and do. You are simply the next in a series of stepping stones on my way to the top and the SCW Championship. So, a rhetorical question for you, oh mighty son of salem, how many matches did you wrestle here before you got your first title opportunity? I call it rhetorical because I don’t give a damn”

Issues and Colors Part 2
Las Vegas, Nevada
/Scene Opens\

[off-camera]

Two-Weeks Ago[/i}

As I rode away from the bar, Barlago, the words of the unnamed man echoed in my mind. My own father had been a fixer for these fucking scum bags. I’ve been a lot of things in my life but not a cheat. I’d never dream of doing such a thing. The only thing that really eased my anxiety was the rumble of the Harley. As I ate up the miles, constantly checking my surroundings as I do, I see them in the distance. They’re following me, either to make sure I don’t talk to the local PD or to continue the conversation. Maybe they’re even concerned that I’d go to one of the local clubs and pass along what I know. Their leader didn’t strike me as the type to give up with just a single casual conversation. I check my mirrors again and I see smoke, just before the shock wave causes my bike to wobble ever so slightly. I ease off the highway at a gas station.

I coast into the pump area of the station. I look at the pumps and there’s a sign that requires pre-pay. I kill the motor, setting my stand and climbing off the bike I smile.

“This should be interesting.”

Looking down I see an anomaly, it almost looks like a fleck of dirt. I study it more closely.

“I’ll be damned.”

I say to no one in particular. With my thumbnail, I’m able to dig a small almost unseen tracker. I drop it on the ground and crush it under the heel of my boot.

“Someone doesn’t like the word no.”

I mutter as I walk into the store to pre-pay for my gas. An old fashioned bell above the door dings lightly as I push the door open. The employee there, a bright eyed red headed kid. His name tag said “Dusty” and he was listening to music from the eighties. He waves and smiles as I walk into the store.

“Welcome to Fuzzy’s gas and go.”

He exclaims as I walk in. I grab a bottle of Mountain Dew from the barrel and set that up on the counter.

“Thanks Dusty, fill up on two please.”

I put a twenty dollar bill on the counter as he goes to work initializing the pump and I walk out to see the arrival of about ten men on a variety of different machines. Hayabusa's, Harley’s, an Indian and even a duck.

“Crime must pay pretty well.”

I muse to myself as I cross the parking lot to my own Harley, my Road King was built for cruising, not for speed. That’s what my Dyna Super Glide that I rarely rode these days was built for. Plus it needed a rebuild done on it to get it back up to specs. I begin filling my tank as about five police cruisers pull into the station. They form a semi-circle to prevent anyone from leaving. Ten officers in total, brandishing shotguns and side arms when they spot twenty one people on motorcycles. I stop the gas pump and step away from my bike before they even order me to. I lace my fingers behind my head as I do.

“You’ve done this before, obviously.”

One of the officers said nonchalantly. Two of them, one on either side of me began to ask me questions. As the others move into a tactical formation to approach the others, who’ve mimicked my own movements.

“No sir, I’ve never been arrested.”

I explain calmly.

“Anything I need to know about before I start searching you?”, he asks me in a slightly elevated voice. I can tell he’s nervous and likely not a seasoned cop.

“My everyday carry is in it’s holsters on my back. My license for it is in my wallet, you’ll find that in my front pocket.” I explain to him as calmly as I can.

He has my wallet, and removes my holster with my everyday carry still inside it. “Mr. Bane, if that’s your real name. You were identified by a witness as having been at an establishment called “Barlago”, roughly half an hour ago?”

“That’s right.”, I say, remaining calm as he continues to search me.

“Were you also aware that the establishment blew up, shortly after you were seen leaving it?”, he takes my right arm, swinging it behind my back to put cuffs on me. His partner stops him though.

“I’d say he is clean, rook, see his lack of colors and them wearing theirs proudly….”, as he nods towards where the rest of the bandidos are all being arrested. He releases his hold on me for a moment and the older officer smiles apologetically.

“I’m sorry sir, the rook’s these days are maybe a little over zealous and enthusiastic.” I shake my head and laugh.

“Hell, that’s alright Officer, no harm no foul as far as I’m concerned. That bunch over there, I’d be real cautious with them.” I say to him in earnest. The look from their leader could shred steel that he gives me.

“What in the actual fuck are they doing in Vegas.” He scowls as he says. “Fucks sakes, just them being here could spark a war.”. He exhales forcefully as the rookie officer hands my everyday carry back to me. very likely what they are trying to do is what my mind screams at me., I muse inside the confines of my own brain. Putting my everyday carry back in place, I watch everything unfold as arrests are made and rights are read. Something about that whole thing just smelled rotten to me.

/Fade\

The One-Man Wrecking Crew and The Hurricane Painted Red
Las Vegas, NV
/Scene Opens\

[off-camera]

The thing I’ve heard over the years from other friends of mine who are married is that if you don’t work hard at your relationship it will fall apart. I’m here to tell you, that’s bullshit, if you have to work that hard at your relationships, then they are not good ones. Not good for you or the other person. Amber and I had the kind of relationship where everything was easy for us. We were a great team and nothing seemed unreachable for us as a couple. It made some of our friends sick to their stomach because of the way we are. Our friends are not shy, so we get a lot of ribbing about our relationship.

Now we find ourselves on the couch. I take her hand in mine, there is comfort there. A kind of warmth that I’ve never felt in my life. She is my peace of mind, my safe place and the reason that I work so hard on progressing my career again. We’ve just been sitting here and  talking about nothing in particular and from the entryway, I hear my daughter Jules.

“OH MY FUCKING GOD! DAD! YOU DIDN’T TELL ME SHE SAID YES!”

Amber and I look at each other then back at Jules. Amber cannot hide the smirk that’s starting to form. I smile and look back at my daughter.

“Hey Jules.”

She frowns at me.

“Sorry for dropping the f bomb dad.”

She says rather meekly as I stand up and cross the room to where she stands.

“Amber and I are getting married.”

She slugs me in the arm, then goes around me to where Amber is sitting.

“You’re a turd, dad.”

I nod as she goes around me to look at the ring.

“Yes ma’am, you could say that.”

The fangirl-like squee was almost eardrum shattering, as she stared at the ring. So loud that even Amber cringed.

“Fucks sake, I know you’re excited, but…”

Jules, now embarrassed, holds her hand to her mouth.

“So sorry, I forget sometimes.”

Then Amber engulfs my daughter in a hug.

“Me too Jules, me too”

She says to her softly. I step to the side table and grab a box of kleenex and carry it over to where they are sitting. Both women, openly crying now. I sit down next to Amber and grab her hand, squeezing gently. She smiles up at me and takes the box of tissue. She puts it in front of Jules first then takes a few for herself and hands it back to me.

“Looks like you need a couple of these yourself, tough guy.”

I smile and take the box and grab a couple. I knew the tears were falling, I was just ignoring them and enjoying this moment in time. I used the tissue to wipe my own tears away. This moment in time was special, the way they interacted and reacted to each other was amazing. At least to me. I would later come to call this moment, the squee heard around the world. I still needed to tell Jimmy, but with Jules being so great with it, I couldn’t imagine him not being excited as well.

“Have you told bubba yet?”

Jules asked me, and I shook my head indicating I had not.

“Bubba?”

Amber asked with an amused look. I waved her off.

“James.”

I said, amused myself. I hadn’t realized she didn’t know Jules’ nickname for her brother. Jules though was in action now, she jumped up and ran.

“She must need to go grab her phone.

I muse to myself as Amber begins laughing.

“An eighteen year old girl needing her phone? Surely you jest.”

Now, it’s my turn to smirk.

“I never jest and don’t call me Shirley.”

/Fade\

Issues and Colors Part 3
Las Vegas, Nevada
/Scene Opens\

[off-camera]

In 2018, Jeffrey Faye Pike, then sixty-three years old and the president of the Bandidos MotorCycle Club, was sentenced to life in prison. His son, John Waverly Pike took over the club and its operations. The operations of the club were numerous, ranging from racketeering, weapon smuggling, prostitution, and drug trafficking. These things all happened so close to home that I couldn’t help but know about them. Pike and his second in command were both arrested in San Antonio, just hours away from Port Arthur. They were both sentenced to life in prison. It was Portillio though, the more dangerous of the two that had everyone in the state angry. Pike had given him permission to declare war against the Cossacks MC. A war that raged across the state and back again. Portillo, an expert strategist from all accounts, was given two consecutive life sentences with an additional twenty years tacked onto it for good measure.

All of that being said, you might understand why I wouldn’t believe my father was involved with these people in any way. That life was not for me, that’s for damn sure. I’d done my homework and of course there were anomalies in my old man’s checking account records. I wasn’t sure at this point if it was payouts from them or from the promotion for championship bonuses. I was going to find out though, and I was going to find out why they were targeting me. Why? I mean I’ve been a professional for almost two decades, why approach me now? My thought process is broken by the old school telephone ring of my cell. I slide the bar over to accept the call before I really even check the caller i.d.

“This is Mac.”

I place the call on speaker, as I usually do.

“Mr. Bane, make sure you watch the news tonight.”

I frown and the call disconnects from the other end. I do check the caller i.d. Which is tagged as “unknown”. I know who it is though, “Fuck you Waverly. You piece of shit.”. I’d done my homework and I knew what I was up against with this one. I was also able to find out that he hated being called Waverly. I dig the remote out of the console in the center of the sofa. I look at it for a moment and realize the news is starting soon. I press the button labeled power. I sigh as the anchorman goes into his introductory story, running the same information we’ve all  heard a thousand times about social distancing, masks, and the rising death toll in our country. Story number two began….

“Just hours after the Barlago Bar just outside of Las Vegas was blown up, two of the ten arresting officers were found dead. Shot execution style, according to law enforcement spokesperson.”

That has my attention and I sit a little straighter in my seat.

“Rookie Officer Nick Delgado of Brooklyn, New York and an eleven year veteran Joey Elipse of Las Vegas, Nevada were both pronounced deceased at the scene.”

I shake my head in disgust.

“Killed for doing their job. These motherfuckers have got to be stopped.”

“I couldn’t agree more Mr. Bane.”

A voice came from the entryway, I looked up to see a man that appears to be around six foot four and probably around two twenty. “Your daughter July let me in, I hope I’m not disturbing you.”. I wave him in and turn the television off.

“And you are?”I ask the question although the assumption is he’s either FBI or a local detective with the Las Vegas PD. I was wrong on both counts it would seem, he smiled and dug his wallet out of his front pocket slowly and carefully so as to not alarm anyone.

“My name is Charles Marlowe, I’m a special agent assigned by the department of Homeland Security.” He says, showing his badge to me. I grunt and then nod my head. I extend my hand and he shakes it in return.

“Well, Special Agent Marlowe, how can I help you get rid of that scumbag?”

He studies me for a long moment and then smiles.

“You don’t recognize me do you Mac?”

I’m taken aback, and no I didn’t quite honestly.

“No?....I don’t….”

His smile broadens as he begins telling me how we had met previously.

“I was actually introduced to you by our old friend Maggie Fletcher. She was our Lieutenant in Puerto Rico.”

“Oh shit! Chuckie….I remember you now! Damn man, look at you….”

He laughs a bit and we sit down on the sofa. He regains his composure from us reuniting. I mean, Charles and I were not close. He was a friend to Maggie and that made him a good soul in my book.

“Mac, has Pike tried to get you to join?”

I furrow my brow and nod my head.

“He did, I told him to fuck off.”

He nods his head sagely.

“I also presume he told you about your father?”

My demeanor changes and my eyes harden.

“I don’t believe that crap for a second Chuck.”

He gives me an easy going smile and nods his head agreeing with me.

“Good, that’s because that shit was a lie we fed him. We injected false data into his father’s database in order to put him on a false trail.”

The words he was speaking were english, and well enunciated but I don’t think they quite registered in my brain.

“You son of a bitch! You set me up! My family could be at risk right now because you used me as bait. I should fucking kill you right now.”

He stands up quickly and backs away, holding up his hands in mock surrender.

“Mac, I was trying to get to you before they found it. We need your help to get this family off the streets.”

I cut him off in mid explanation.

“Then someone new takes over the club and comes looking for me and mine. You’re an idiot!”

He quits back peddling and stands his ground taking a defensive stance.

“Now Mac, listen, we have a plan and it will result in the end of them all.”

/Fade\

Longevity.

Credibility and respect. These are things that usually go hand in hand. Especially for someone like you. By the very nature of your longevity here, you have a certain amount of credibility as a competitor. That credibility leads to a certain amount, albeit grudgingly given, respect. The fact that I’m new here, to you at least, that means I have no credibility and am deserving of no respect. In your opinion I have no credibility because the people I’ve beaten are of no great consequence in the grand scheme of things. What if I told you, I was of a like mind as you on that particular subject. For me though and if you can look at things from my perspective.

From the fatal four-way to the number one contenders match, I’ve simply beaten everyone that they put in front of me. They weren’t close matches, I dominated every single event. Even watching those tapes won’t prepare you for what I do in the ring. I’m not going to throw out numbers to you because it’s just metrics. Metrics are great in corporate america where they seek to thin the herd based on how productive an employee is. It however doesn’t amount to jack shit when you’re fighting in a ring or outside of it for that matter. There’s a significant size difference between us. None of that matters though. My six foot six inch, two hundred and eighty pound frame doesn’t matter. I’ve been beaten by men smaller than me before. It may happen again but not at High Stakes Ten. The numbers don’t reveal one very important thing.

Passion.

It cannot be measured on any scale, the person who wants it the most is the one who wins in these things. Passion or heart or whatever you’d like to call it. I don’t sense that from you at all. I sense a man with a dead soul, someone who only does this for money and has no sense of pride when it comes to our sport. You espouse your greatness to anyone who will listen. Your elite status that the world should kiss your feet. How you picked and chose when and where you would compete. Sounds like they need to investigate their legal team and fire some folks. Contract writing seems to be a downfall here. Last time I checked, contractually obligated, didn’t have one meaning for someone and a different meaning for someone else. Of course I feel quite certain that for a Warlock of your caliber the rules are different right?

Privilege.

It’s something you believe you have. From your social status to your status as a champion here in Sin City. You believe that you are privileged and not to be held to the same standards as others. You speak of mine and Amber's loss to the Black Sheep in one breath and say that getting tossed into a swimming pool are not the same. Either it’s more of that privileged speak or your just fucking dense. The other option is that you pay attention to no one you can see beyond the end of your nose. Funny thing is chief, I’d be willing to bet that when I punch you in that nose of yours you’ll bleed like everyone else. You’ll lose like everyone else and at the end of the night, that privilege won’t do shit for ya. I think the thing that stands out the most to me about you is simple.

Arrogance

For all of your confidence, this is the only division you’ve had any success in. According to the reading I did on the championship histories. You’ve won the Roulette title twice. It must be painful to languish in a division for a third tier title the entire time you’ve been here. That’s the way it is for people like you. You talk and talk and talk, I guess it’s because you like the sound of your own voice. Talking does not net results. Fighting does. Fighting with passion and purpose will defeat arrogance and privilege every fucking time. I don’t care if you’re from a blue blood family in Massachusetts or a country family from New Orleans. One thing I should note, the nineties called and they want their cheesy one liners back. The bane of my existence indeed. I ought to break your jaw for even saying that. Trying to be funny when you should be showing the world that you are dedicated to your craft.

A Student of the Game.

Are you starting to get a sense of the disadvantage you have? I’m a student of the game in every sense of the word. As a second generation wrestler, I learned very early in life that in order to be successful, you have to study the sport. Be able to spot trends and changes and be able to adapt to them. To evolve with them if you will. I study my opponents and I learn their tendencies. I learn what makes them tick. What pisses them off and more importantly what causes them to pause, out of fear or shock. What their strengths and weaknesses are and how best to exploit both. Your real disadvantage though is that you don’t know me. You’ve no idea what I’m capable of in the ring. You’ve no clue about my history, who I’ve beaten, who I’ve crippled or why. The one thing that you will learn up close and personal is this. There’s only one guy here that knows me even a little. Alex Jones. He however remembers a very young and brash kid from Texas that really didn’t know what the hell he was doing. Things are much different than they were then. I’ve evolved as an athlete and as a professional.

Perhaps at this point you’ll understand that I’m not just some fucking scrub that they put in this match to be your punching bag. If you don’t realize it before the match, you’ll realize it after the bell rings.