Author Topic: Superstitions and apologies  (Read 555 times)

Offline Sam Marlowe

• View Profile
    • Samantha Marlowe
Superstitions and apologies
« on: November 06, 2020, 11:57:52 PM »
The door to the office cracks open which gets the attention of Doctor Evans who looks up with her glasses resting on the tip of her nose.  Her blonde hair is pulled back and held up with a pencil that is stuck into a messy bun.

“Yes?”

“Your two o’clock is here Doctor,” says the young woman who has poked her head through the door.  Doctor Evans nods and stands up behind her desk and walks around it as the woman steps back and a familiar redhead walks into the room.

“Hello Sam,” says Doctor Evans as she moves to her wingback chair.  “How goes the day?”

“I am good doctor, but I thought I would come talk to you.  To be honest, there might be a little bit of superstition as well as wanting to talk to someone about what is still going on with me and so…here I am,” says Sam as she moves closer to sit on the chair opposite the doctor.

“That is what I am here for,” says the doctor as she reaches over to pull out a book and pen.  Opening it on her lap, the doctor smiles at Sam who smiles back.  “So tell me what you are talking about.”

“I don’t know if you understand us sports people but if something starts being a lucky thing, we tend to continue doing it to keep our luck going,” Sam says as she rubs her hand against the soft curls near her ear.  “Well, since I started seeing you, I began to start on a winning streak.”

“Sam, you know as well as I do, this superstitious reaction is nothing but a false sense of accomplishment due to a perceived situation that you could say is ‘lucky’,” says the doctor, her hands moving upwards to put air quotes around the word lucky.  “Now, do you not think that you have the skill to have been able to get the wins yourself?  I am sure that you do.”

“I am sure too but just in case…” mutters Sam as she takes the hand that is rubbing through her curls to tap lightly with her fist against her head.  “Knock on wood that I keep winning.  So where were we from last time?”

The doctor looks down at her book and then back up at Sam.  “Why don’t you tell me Sam.  The last time we spoke, you were facing Seleana Zdunich in a match.  How did that go?”

Sam brightens up as she leans towards the doctor while resting her elbows on her knees.  “I got the win in that match Doctor.  Oh it was close a couple of times but I focused right on what I needed to accomplish and I got the win in a graveyard.  Then…”

“You had the match in a graveyard?” demands the doctor, shock on her face as she writes something in her book.  “Isn’t that a creepy place to wrestle?”

“Oh it is, and to win, I had to put Seleana in a grave.  It was the Halloween show and well it tends to have some spooky stipulations.  Anyways, I put Seleana into a grave and won the match.  Then I got myself into a bit of a problem with Andrea Hernandez because I found something funny that she did.  So she decided to try to get under my skin with her little merchandising ideas of a poster with a red ex on my face.  I think there was some kind of misunderstanding but you know what?  It doesn’t bother me and if I am honest, I think it bothered Andrea more that I wasn’t too upset with the poster,” admits Sam as she then leans back.

“If that is the case, did you try to talk to her about it?” asks the doctor.  Shaking her head, Sam sighes.  “I guess that is a no,” the doctor says almost to herself.

“Got it in one,” admits Sam.  “But back to the luck thing, this week I am facing Violet Holt in a match and I am one and oh against her.  Which means that I am coming to talk to you for my pep talk.  I mean Violet is good…she’s been a champion in SCW but I don’t think that she is going to be able to beat me this week.  After all, I have this visit and…”

“Sam, I am not a coach and luck is something you make for yourself,” insists the doctor. 

“I know, I know,” says Sam as she rolls her eyes.  “But doesn’t hurt you know.  Also, I wanted to offer you something as well.  I wanted to invite you to see what I do.  I brought you some tickets to the show.  I figured that if I was making you my good luck charm, I needed a little quid pro quo,” teases Sam. 

The doctor closes the book in her lap as Sam reaches to the bag on the floor at her feet and pulls out a small piece of paper with the SCW logo on it.  She holds it out to the doctor who looks at it like it is some kind of snake.  Sam shakes it slightly and holds it closer.  The doctor takes it and begins to read it as Sam stands up. 

“Thanks Doctor, I will see you Sunday,” says Sam as she makes her way to the door.

“But you still have forty minutes Sam,” the doctor says with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t think that I need it,” replies Sam.  “Like you said, I make my own luck.    Besides, with you coming to the show, we can talk again and I will have my good luck charm there at the show with me.”

Sam winks before ducking out of the office with the laughter of Doctor Evans following her.  Doctor Evans stands and moves to her desk where she places the tickets in the drawer and sits down to dictate something into a small recorder that she picks up and presses record.

Sam Marlowe walks along a small stage in a quiet room of Escape.  She stops at the very edge of it where she looks down at a tripod that has a camera mounted on it.  Behind it, Colton Myers smiles at Sam as he leans down to see if she is in focus then nods at her.

Dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a black and white Sam tee, she looks comfortable as she looks right into the camera and begins to speak.

“Well once more I am getting ready for Climax Control and a match that everyone is probably thinking that I will have in the bag.  And if I was cocky enough, I would say that yeah, I am ready for Violet Holt.  Knowing who she is and what she is capable of, makes me realize that I shouldn’t be flippant,” offers Sam as she slides her hands into her pockets.  “I mean, anyone can have a good day and everyone can have a bad day.  I know I have been there and done that and that is the problem.”

Sam begins to pace on the stage with Colton following her with the camera.

“Violet, I want you to know that I am thinking back to the last time we met in the ring and the fact that I got a win that night.  Sure, you did some pretty hard beating of me but I returned each and every move with one of my own and just when you thought you had it won, I pulled out the victory,” offers Sam.  “Which has me thinking about this week on Climax Control.  I am sure that you are out to prove that my win was just a one time thing and that you definitely just had an off night.”  Sam stops to look thoughtfully into the camera.  “But did you really have an off night that night?”

“We both know that both of us have been on win streaks and losing streaks and both of us have been champions so each of us are a threat in the ring at anytime.  And it is true, you have worn the Roulette title and won it from the woman that beat me so logically that means you are better than me when it comes to the roulette title.  And I agree, your win over Candy for that belt was pretty good.  However, that was Candy, that wasn’t me.”

Sam turns again to the camera and moves to the edge of the stage.  She sits and then crosses her legs as she puts her hands on her knees to talk to the camera as if it was Violet herself. 

“And just think that last time I was in the ring, I beat Seleana Zdunich who won the Roulette title from you.  So, the argument of who is better is kinda moot when you get right down to it Violet.  Maybe then we just have to go on the merits of our skills in the ring.  Both of us will have to be on our best game this week considering what it at stake,” says Sam which has Colton straightening up with a confused look on his face.

“What’s at stake darlin’?” he asks slowly.

“Oh Camo, the only thing at stake this week is a win and bragging rights,” offers Sam with a shrug.  “There are going to be no titles on the line so that is out the window.  Maybe the fact that Violet will want to correct the mistake of her loss against me from before will add to the fight.  And I wouldn’t blame Violet for wanting to prove something.  Just as I hope that she won’t blame me for wanting to prove something too,” adds Sam.

Nodding in understanding, Colton begins to film Sam once more as she lets her one leg swing slightly.  “I get it Violet, I really do.  Proving something gives you that little extra oomph in a match where anything can happen.  Like my daddy used to say, the sun does sometimes shine on a dog’s derriere once in a while.  So maybe on Sunday, the odds may be in your favor.”

Sam’s head bobs slightly as a smile slowly breaks across her face.  “The odds may be in your favor but to be honest, I don’t really think that they will be.  Violet, you know what burns my behind?”

“A flame about three feet high?” calls out Colton with a smirk that causes Sam to giggle. 

“Seriously Colton, why did you do that?” demands Sam once she catches her breath from laughter.  “Now I lost my train of what I was going to say.  I guess that I could sum up what is about to happen on Climax Control with the following…”

The laughter fades and a serious look crosses the face of Sam Marlowe as she stares down the lens of the camera.

“Sunday night Violet is not going to be a lucky night for you at all.  You are going to be in the ring with someone that has put herself on a path that is going to lead me back to gold and if that means that I have to run you over to get there, I apologize now.  I will be so sorry for you having to lose the match but so not sorry for beating you one two three.  I am coming for another win Violet and that means I am going to have to beat you to do it,” says Sam with conviction.   

Colton reaches up and presses stop on the camera then moving around it, he approaches the stage where Sam has sat at the edge of.  Standing right in front of her, he pushes a curl behind her ear.  “You don’t sound like you are too worried about the match darlin’,” says Colton as he leans in to put his forehead against Sam’s.

“I ain’t worried at all,” offers Sam with a smile.  “I know it is going to be a fight but it is going to be a fight that I am going to be ready for.”

Sam leans up to plant her lips against Colton’s as he leans in to plant his hands on either side of Sam’s thighs.  The two are lost in each other as we leave them in the drama room of Escape.