Author Topic: Prove Yourself  (Read 323 times)

Offline Max Burke

• GRIME World Nightmare Champion
  • Match Writers
    • View Profile
Prove Yourself
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »
 The sun is bright. 68 degrees, and barely a cloud in the sky. He’s here a few days in advance of the 2nd round of the 2017 Blast For The Past. Max Burke, clad in a pair of dark wash jeans, white dress shirt, slim back tie loose around his neck, leather jacket and vintage Ray Bans is out for a stroll on the Philadelphia waterfront. The air is brisk, but the day is beautiful.

Burke: Philadelphia.

He inhales deeply, filling his lungs with the brisk air. He slides the hair band off his wrist, and ties his hair up.

Burke: The real fighting capital of the good old U S of A.

The bricks of the historic Philadelphia buildings reflect in the lens of his sunglasses.

Burke: The history of this city is etched in every brick. It is ground into every wrestling mat, and boxing canvas.

Max strokes his beard, and takes in another deep breath. The brisk air is invigorating today. You can hear the passion in his voice as he speaks. No matter what you think of his tactics, no one can deny Max Burke’s passion for wrestling, and for that matter the sport of fighting overall.

Burke: This is my kind of city. This is a home away from home for me. The grittiness of this city is what continues to draw me back.

Max unscrews the top from his bottle, and takes a sip of water before continuing on.

Burke: The blood, sweat, and tears that have been shed in this city is what defines it.

Max stops for a minute to soak in the scenery of the waterfront. In the distance, the Ben Franklin Bridge shines in the sunlight.

Burke: In Philly... this is where you work. This is not a city for the weak. Iron will is what is needed to survive, and thrive in the TRUE gyms of Philly.

You can see behind the lenses that Max is reflecting on his many visits to the gyms that he speaks of right now. A tiny smirk sneaks into the corners of his mouth as he is reminded of the torture that he went through inside of those brick dungeons that are playfully called gyms.

Burke: The knowledge that has been passed over decades is unquestionable. If you are a professional fighter, Philadelphia is where you come to earn the respect of your peers, and your mentors. You will bend. You will break. You will sweat. You will swear. You will bleed. You will learn.

<HR></HR>

\'user

Max lets out a half grunt, and half yell as he drills the heavy bag with a leg kick. His training partner grips the bag tightly as Max he connects a second time.

Burke: AH!

Tom: AGAIN!

Max obliges with another stiff kick.

Tom: ELBOW!

Max spins, and connects with the point of his elbow.

Tom: KNEES!

Burke: AH!

Max grabs the bag as instructed, and unloads several knees.

Tom: Good. Grab some water.

Burke: Thanks.

Max grabs the velcro with his teeth, and slips the glove off. He grabs his water bottle, and takes long drink from it. He picks up his towel, and quickly swipes the sweat from his brow.

Burke: You’re a good man Tommy. Thanks for taking some time out today.

Tom: You know you always have a place here bud. We’ll put you through the grind any time you’re in town.

They both chuckle as Max tosses the sweaty towel at Tom.

Burke: The way it should be. I wish she’d get here already.
Tom: The one from the office?

Burke: Yeah. Mark said he sending over Rocky to plug Sunday’s show. Going to throw it up on the social media sites.

Tom: Jet black hair, and uhhh....

Max turns around, and knows from the look on Tom’s face that Ms. Rocky Mountains has just walked in the door of the gym. Chasing closely behind is an SCW camera operator.

Burke: Ms. Rocky Mountains, let me introduce you to my good friend, Tom.

Tom reaches out his hand, and takes Rocky’s. He gives it a peck.

Tom: Pleasure ma’am.

Rocky winks at him.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Nice. Very nice.

Tom sheepishly grins at Rocky.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Very nice setup you have here Tom. Rugged, not flashy like all of these new... facilities. They seem to POP UP everywhere.

Tom coughs nervously, and turns away.

Tom: I’ll uh... let you a... get comfortable. Feel free to stay as long as you need.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Thank you for your hospitality Tom. How about we step up over there where the championship belts are on the wall?

\'user

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Yes, that will work. Max, pleasure as always.

The camera operator quickly unpacks his gear and sets up the frame for the interview. Max, Tom and Rocky continue with some small talk while he sets up. It only takes a couple of minutes, and Rocky is ready to go. She pins a lapel microphone on the edge of the opening of her button up blouse that is overflowing because of her “assets”. Max has wiped off the sweat, and quickly gotten dressed again. His eyes hidden by his Ray Bans.

<HR></HR>

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Sin City Wrestling, thank you for joining me for this web exclusive with Pro Wrestling’s Pedigree, the man that made his return for the 2017 Blast For The Past tournament. The former Roulette Champion... Max Burke. Max, thank you for giving me this time today.

Max turns ever so slightly towards Rocky. He leans in. In a soft voice...

Burke: Pleasure is yours, Rocky. My time is valuable. I beg of you, do not waste it here today.

Rocky glares at Max. She adjusts herself, and leans in towards Max.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: No sir, the pleasure is yours. Max, the best way that I can think of to commence this interview is with a simple question. Why?

Max leans back. He clears his throat. He raises his finger to his lips, and taps them for a moment.

Burke: Why? * he shakes his finger in Rocky’s direction * What kind of open-ended... nonsensical question is that? You call yourself an interviewer? Elaborate miss.

A devilish smile appears. She licks her lips. She pauses for a moment, contemplating her next choice of words.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Why now? What prompted your return to Sin City Wrestling?

Burke: Pay attention dear. Very close attention.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Yes. Of course, Max.

Max slips the Ray Bans from his eyes. He folds them gently, slipping them into his breast pocket. He runs his fingers through his hair. He slides an inch or so closer to Rocky. He leans in towards her again. His voice does not raise, it is still almost a whisper. Cool... unwavering. Max speaks again.

Burke: I’m only here because Sin City Wrestling has asked me to do this. I told you do not waste these precious moments. Dear, once again your questioning is inadequate. Try again.

She laughs, and slides herself even closer to Max. The two are almost touching now. The chess game between them has begun.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Why after 3 years have you returned to Sin City Wrestling? Where have you been?

Burke: Deary. This is not working out well for you today. Let’s do this. How about this? Close your eyes. Pucker your lips, and... keep them shut while I educate you here today. You’re struggling, and I can now clearly see that I will be conducting this interview myself.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: *sighs*

Burke: Sssh. It’s ok. Just listen.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Go on Mr. Burke.

Burke: There you go. 2 weeks ago, I returned to the squared circle after 3 long years away. Those years ate at the deepest part of my soul. I struggled to find myself outside of those ropes. It is none of your concern of my actual whereabouts. I’ve been everywhere deary. What matters is this. When I stepped between those ropes 2 weeks ago, everything became right in the world. I returned to my home. I returned to where my most splendid memories occurred. Memories such as staring down into the eyes of a withered, and wilted Orchid. The memory of running my fingers through the crimson blood of a fallen, defeated Alex Grayson. His foolish persistence was his downfall. The so-called... self proclaimed “king” perished before me. The memories of taking Andrew Garcia under my wing in Hotstuff Inc. and moulding him into the wrecking machine that he has become today. That’s right Ivan, your boy wasn’t only the star pupil of Casey Williams. He was also the young boy of Hotstuff Inc. Under our tutelage, he became a monster, and I have the utmost respect of the journey he has been on... and will continue upon his return. However, you are not Mr. Garcia. You are not Casey. You are nobody to me.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Harsh words, Ma...

Max cuts her off abruptly. Rocky is taken aback. She motions for Max to continue.

Burke: HUSH! Keep those luscious lips of yours sealed if you will Ms. Mountains. I was not finished. Ivan Darrell, this is strictly business. In this business, I am the President, and CEO. Nobody can touch me on the mic. Nobody can hang with me in the ring. Move for move I am the best at what I do. Nobody compares to me. Look at my body of work. Look at what I do in, and outside of that ring. I do not give a damn who I offend. I do what I do, and I do it exceptionally well.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: Mr. Burke, may I...

Burke: No, you may not. Does this make me a bad person? Look at you. Are you such a good person? Look who your mentor is. He earned that nickname for a reason. Just like Casey, I will continue to do whatever it takes to further myself and Mercedes Vargas in the 2017 Blast For The Past, and beyond.

Ms. Rocky Mountains: I...

Burke: I told you to sit there, and listen. It’s okay to look out for number one. Embrace it. Be bold. This is me. You need to make statements each, and every single time you step between those ropes. If you do not... what are you? What have you done? It pains me every so slightly that I have to make this statement this time around. Casey, and I have discussed this in length when I found out Ivan was unfortunately my next victim on this path. Respect is one thing. Respect is earned, and for Ivan he has not had that pleasure as of yet when it comes to me. Come Sunday Ivan, 1 of 2 things will happen. 1. You earn my respect just as your partner, and your mentor have. 2. You do not. If you do not, it will be an unfortunate turn of events for you. Either way Ivan, you are in for a long night of education between those ropes. Do you understand me? I know your mind is not completely focused on Blast For The Past. I know your partner is also not completely focused on Blast For The Past. The 2 of you know you were exceptionally lucky to make it out of the 1st round due to your lack of focus on the tournament. You realise this. You realise that neither of your hearts are 100% in this tournament. Amanda, she has one foot out the door. You... you want vengeance. You want vengeance for your friend, your partner... your husband. We are the last 2 people in this company that you want to lose focus against. We are already winning this mental battle. We will the war in the end. Think to yourself Ivan, just how well do you know your friend... your mentor? Think to yourself Ivan, just how well do you know... your lover? Ask yourself this question. Now that I have returned where do their loyalties lie? How strong is your bond with Casey?  Casey may be your mentor, but he is my friend... my brother in arms. All of these years have past, but who have I kept in touch with when it comes to this crazy game that we call professional wrestling? Ask yourself this. Is Sunday night another lesson? Yes. This lesson is unlike any you have ever encountered child. I will be your professor. Time to prove yourself one more time.