Author Topic: Out of Your Control  (Read 388 times)

Offline Mercedes Vargas

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vargas
Out of Your Control
« on: March 07, 2014, 11:59:28 PM »
 Open on Mercedes Vargas sitting outside on the balcony of her Queens, New York apartment with her face void of emotion. As if on cue, the now former Bombshell Roulette Champion looks up at the camera.

“You know, after losing my championship twelve days ago at Climax Control 75 in San Francisco, I was feeling kind of glum, down in the dumps, a little depressed. I couldn't deal with the shame, the disappointment of seeing Necra standing there on the next to last rung on that ladder holding my championship, the sight of her looking down at me, sneering, laughing, shouting veiled insults my way. The lonely flight back to New York, waking up the next morning, not seeing the Bombshell Roulette Championship in my refrigerator really got to me, it did. It was surreal."

Mercedes remains calm, eyes steady on the camera lens. Clearly the shame and embarrassment of the outcome of the tag match two weeks ago hasn't sat well with her. With a heavy sigh, she looks up again, shaking her head.  

“Even last week's show, I vented about it. And I heard what Necra had to say that night. She claimed she had an (using air quotes) “easy win” over me. She said I couldn't even keep up with her, despite the fact that she went through a table, despite the fact that I had her on the ropes several times during the match. If anything, this was anything but easy. And we both know this.”

She goes quiet, eyes cast down and looking down at her fidgeting hands.      

"I had to close myself off from the world. The next few days, I locked myself in my room, I closed the blinds, drew the curtains, and I just stayed in bed. I found that classical music really soothes the soul. Probably explains why I had Moonlight Sonata on loop.”

She slightly looks up again with a forced smile at the camera.

“It wasn't until I found out this week that I was booked. And when I listened to Joanne Canelli's promo, something happened. Something amazing happened. I laughed, for the first time in days. I actually laughed, and I couldn't stop laughing. Joanne's promo brought a smile to my face, it was what the doctor ordered. I guess what they say is true after all: Laughter is the best medicine, it sure worked for my depression.”

Mercedes laughs.

“Never change, Joanne Canelli. Never change.”

There is an underlying mocking tone in Mercedes's voice. She shakes her head in disbelief and continues.

“Honestly, sweetheart, I don't know what to say after that. You have me stupefied, and that isn't easy to do. Now, if it wasn't for the fact that you're small time here in SCW, I wouldn't bother even wasting my breath on you. Matter of fact, you don't even deserve to breath the same air as me, much less defending a championship. But hey, since I don't book the matches, some things are out of my control, such is the case for this weekend.”

Leaning slightly forward in her chair, Mercedes sighs silently.

“I'll give credit where credit is due. You and Emma pulled it off. You beat Misty and Vixen at My Bloody Valentine and ended their reign. I have nothing but good things to say about that. Though to be fair, I guess Emma has to be a better tag team partner than, say, Laura Jackson or Parana Ana, yes? You couldn't beat Misty before when she and Odette were the champions once upon a time or the Fallen – obviously, your first attempts at the tag titles – but again, I've got nothing but admiration for you. So, I can see why you have this swagger, you've got this pep in your step, but it's not because you have gold around your waist again, it's that you found your big girl pants this weekend and you went on autopilot in your promo there. I can tell you're fired up and rearing to go, aren't you?"

She picks up an ice tea glass, half full, and takes a sip of it before replacing it on the patio.

“Nobody said having confidence is a bad thing. You just don't go into a match thinking, 'I'm going to get my ass handed to me.' You've already lost the match before it even began if you think like that. I know you're going to try and prove those doubters wrong, but sweetheart, you're really not helping yourself at all. You said I haven't learned my lesson, but maybe that's because you have nothing to teach me. If anything, I think you're the one who needs to go back to school. For one, it really says something when you try to use history against me and still can't even do that right. When you tell the world that you beat Traci when in actuality you didn't even pin her in the one tag match you had against her, let alone claim that I haven't learned my lesson when you have yet to beat me since I set foot in SCW, I simply shake my head. The expectations I once had of taking you seriously lessens day after day. Me quema la cabeza." (It blows my mind.)

Mercedes reaches over for her checklist.

“Every time we sat at the learning tree, you're the one who refused to take sage advice. (She holds the checklist in front of the camera) We've only danced twice – my pay-per-view debut at Into the Void II and the last Climax Control of 2013 – and in both scenarios, I was the one who left with their hand raised. No matter, it was out of your control, just like how I pinned you the last time we got together. I have never been pinned or forced to submit in an SCW ring. For nine months and counting, no Bombshell has been able to pin my shoulders to the mat, and neither you or Emma will ever get the satisfaction. I AM TEFLON! No one can touch me!"

She spread her arms wide, in indication of her vast arrogance. Rightly or wrongly, she still believed that streak would continue, win, lose or draw. Though she really would love that win on Sunday.

“I don't know how else I can explain it, Joanne. Do you need a PowerPoint presentation? Do you want me to speak reeeeeal slow, like I did just now? Maybe we need to take extreme measures here. Do I have to become a mime, or speak in sign language or maybe even in another language? I can if you want me to. Divertido cuando Mercedes habla en español? Tu quieres guerra, tu quieres batalla? Mama yo te la doy asi. (Do you think it's entertaining when Mercedes speaks in Spanish? You want a war, you want a battle? I'll give that to you, like this.) And if Spanish isn't your thing, I'm also fluent in French, German, and Italian."

She pauses, raising an index finger as she amends her last sentence.

“You'd be surprised at how many Italians actually live in Argentina.”

She smiles..

“You like reading, don't you? Of course you do. I know your type, you like to have the books with the little pictures in it, right? That can be arranged too. Maybe.”

She shrugs her shoulders.

“As they say, (rubs thumbs repeatedly over the tip of the index finger and middle finger) Money talks, (walking fingers) bullshit walks. You should know something about that, right, JoJo? I hope you're able to back it up this time, honey, because if do you plan on getting paid for your services, hopefully it doesn't result in Große Klappe, nichts dahinter. That was German for, “writing checks with your mouth that your ass can't cash."

"I see how you're trying your best to convince yourself that you are that good. You're trying to give yourself that boost of confidence, and you're going to need every bit of it, because Traci Patterson and myself, we plan on putting our differences aside and becoming the new Sin City Wrestling Bombshell Tag Team Champions. You should be thankful that I'm namedropping you in my promo at all. Ne joue pas avec moi, salope. Tu es comme l'erreur 404 tu mènes a rien. Oh, et par la manière, t'as une tête a faire sauter les plaques d'egouts! (Don't mess with me, bitch. You're like the 404, you lead to nothing. Oh, and by the way, you've got a face that would blow off manhole covers.) Pardon my French there.”

Mercedes chuckles mirthlessly.

"For a talent like me, opportunities like this are an every day occurrence. I can't help being that good. For you, though, you're living a lie. Just like New Jersey doesn't really exist – sorry, Giani Da Luca – you and I both know that I can make sure you don't really exist (snaps fingers thrice) just...like...that. You should have researched the facts before you opened your mouth, Joanne. You should have decided against this match and use your better judgment, because whether it was SCW management's idea to give myself and Traci the first title shot or yours, the fact is your first reign with the tag team titles will be your last.”

She smiles.

“And it's a shame, Emma Rose, it really is. It's been a while sine you and I were in the same ring. I don't know if you've been watching the shows during your sabbatical, but a lot has changed since Summer XXXtreme II back in August. Nessa Wall lasted longer than a cup of coffee, Necra was being the pain she always is, Jessie Salco was keeping her head above water, Laura Jackson seemingly dropped off the face of the earth, and as for yours truly? (smiles) Well, I was making history in SCW, as usual. But I'm glad you're back, and it's good seeing you back. It's just that, you know, your fourth month since your return and actually beating Joanne in a tag match in your first match back, and then teaming with her and Roxi Johnson the next week...I mean, when it comes to talent, you and Joanne are night and day, galaxies apart, even. But that's the harsh thing about the lethal lottery - you never know who you'll get paired with. Being the competitor that you are, though, you're not one to wilt so easily...or are you? And I say that because I'm not sure who if you're going to be the one to let down Joanne or is Joanne going to let you down. You call yourself, "Emma Rose", and the last name really fits. I don't know if you know this, pretty much everyone knows this, roses are the quickest flowers to die. Roses are also very expensive and hard to grow. They require more attention than most flowers. Small wonder how Ben Jordan is able to cater to your every whim, but God bless him. He's a keeper."

Mercedes stood up and settles behind her chair as she tosses her hair back.

“But, again, it's good seeing you back, Emmie. Like Misty and Vixen before you, I still think that you are the tag team champions - plural - and Joanne is just there to hold your other belt. It's a thankless job, but someone has to do it. In an earlier promo I did for My Bloody Valentine, I said that your return to SCW would be a burden, because you had to carry Joanne to victory, despite the fact that she got the pinfall victory. I almost feel sorry for you, but not to worry, Traci and I will be more than happy to take the chip off your shoulder and the championships off your waist."

She leans against the banister overlooking the quiet neighborhood below.

“Because Sunday night, come Climax Control, you and Joanne are going to find out that walking out still the tag titles will be out of your control.”

Fade.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:19:00 AM by Mercedes Vargas »

>
SCW ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2x SCW Hall of Famer (Class of 2018, Class of 2022)
World Bombshell Champion (x2)
Bombshell Roulette Champion (x4)
Bombshell Internet Champion 
World Bombshell Tag Team Champion (x3; w/Traci Patterson (x2) and Delia Darling (x1)
World Mixed Tag Team Champion (x3; x2 w/Kain, x1 w/Goth)
Third Bombshell SCW Triple Crown Champion (6th SCW Triple Crown Champion overall)
First-ever and only 2x, 3x and 4x Bombshell Triple Crown Champion in SCW history (most ever by a female wrestler)
Second Bombshell Grand Slam Champion (4th SCW Grand Slam Champion overall)
SCW Year-End Award Winner: 2014 Feud of the Year (Mean Girls vs SCW Bombshells roster)
Queen for a Day winner (December 2 Dismember 2015, inaugural)