Author Topic: Roulette Battle Royal RP #1  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Bo Dreamwolf

• View Profile
    • Bo Dreamwolf
Roulette Battle Royal RP #1
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »
 I imagine that a lot of people don't realize that my hometown of Tahlequah is the Cherokee capital of the United States. It's a fact that my family instilled in me since I was a boy. My grandparents took every opportunity to educate me on our lineage in the Cherokee Nation, a line of over three hundred thousand members, both young and old. I mention this only because there is another small tidbit of information about me that you probably don't know. I mentioned it in passing to Mister Parker a couple of years ago.

You see, when he was interviewing me all those years ago, he had asked me if I had any education or anything that I could fall back on in the event my wrestling career didn't take off as I planned, or if I, God forbid, suffered some form of injury that would put me out of the ring and end my career. I did. I had studied for two years at Northeastern State University, and during my off seasons wrestling I took online courses to continue my education to do what it was that really interested me outside of the wrestling business.

"Okay, it's about time for everyone to head home." I said to the gathered teens that filled the room. "I'm going to want you all to read chapters seven through nine and be ready for a small quiz come tomorrow morning."

I listened to the groans that always seemed to accompany the announcement of a test. I know. I used to make those same feeble noises when I was at the other end of the spectrum. The bell rang outside in the hallway and the sounds of chairs being scooted back eagerly for the kids to make their departure from the classroom were all I heard as I sat on the edge of the desk and watched them make their exit.

I imagine you by now have guessed what other little fact about myself I was referring to by now.

Teaching. I'm a teacher, or rather, a teacher's assistant with the Sequoyah school program. I specialize in United States history. It's something I've always been interested in. I fondly recall a few trips to our Nation's capital in Washington D.C. that my grandparents took my sister and me on when we were kids. I think that's perhaps what started my interest in our country's history, and my own as well. It was also what ignited the fire to want to pass this knowledge and information along to others. It didn't work out too well as a kid. I mean, what kid wants to hear other kids dictate to them what they should be learning or listen to them spout off facts when there were sports to be played and girls to be chased?

But now that I was older, they seemed to be more willing to listen to me when I stood at the front of a classroom and recite to them tales from America's history, be it good or ill in the history of our own people. Granted this country has left a less than desirable taste on the tongue of the average Native American. We simply were not treated right, and in many ways, still aren't. I'd like to take it upon myself to do for them what my own family did for me; remind them of our own past. Our trials and tribulations, and how looking to the future would benefit us in the long run as opposed to brooding about the past. They listen to me well enough, but I am gathering that it might have a great deal more to do with the fact I'm a bit of a celebrity in their midst.

I know some of the boys in the class are loyal fans of professional wrestling, and if I have to be honest, so are a fair few of the girls, too. I know they've seen me compete a time or two so that bit of evidence is clear. They've chatted me up once or twice about my matches and experiences. I even "allowed" them to distract me throughout an entire period talking about nothing but wrestling. Funny thing was that I turned it into an actual lesson and they were none the wiser. One of the other teachers tried to tell me it didn't hurt that I was "easy on the eyes" but I'm a bit hesitant to use that as an excuse for why my students pay attention in class. I'd prefer to think it was my cute buns. Joke, joke.

The last of the students dropped their report onto my desk and made their exit with a soft 'goodbye' to me. I smiled and gave my head a light nod in the young man's direction and turned back to the desk. Thirty two book reports, all on the same topic; the Trail of Tears. Thirty two reports I would have to read tonight and grade before morning. I sighed. It looked as if I wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight, not that I normally do anyhow as of late. It seemed that every time I stayed too still for too long, my back and shoulders would seize up and I'd end up in terrible pain. It was all I could do not to cry out if I moved too suddenly or turned the wrong way until my medications would kick in. I came close a few times to Grams finding out but I refused to let that happen. She had quite enough to fret over with her grandson off in the rough and tumble world of professional wrestling, without having to find out what some of those bumps I've taken over the past few years have done to my body. She'd most likely insist I quit, and when I refused, she'd cry. Then I'd have no choice but to quit. Nothing is worse than Grandma Guilt.

I finished packing up the reports, sliding them inside of the folders I had ready and placed those in the briefcase Mister Parker and his wife gave me for a congratulatory gift. Hefting the briefcase up in hand, I switched off the classroom lights and shut the door behind me as I called it a day. Some of the teachers stayed behind for a short amount of time to converse and compare notes on their day. I've only done that once or twice. Today I had a couple other chores to do for Grams and that took priority over socializing.

"Bo."

The voice called my attention to behind me and I turned to find the superintendent of the school, Mister Montoya. He was a man in his late fifties but he looked like he could be anywhere ten to fifteen years younger or older. One just couldn't tell. His face had a dark, tanned tone to it, and although there were slight streaks of gray in his hair, you couldn't see any wrinkles of age in his face or hands. Actually the only time you can see even a hint of his age is when he smiles and those creases appear at the corners of his eyes. Mister Montoya was tough on the students, but always fair. I listened to them gripe and complain about the man, but the fact was he was tough on them because he wanted them to be prepared for the world once they were no longer protected by the walls of this school.

I extended my hand and he grasped it in a firm handshake, asking me at the same time, "I was just wondering if you'd be joining us after school. We're going to be giving Miss Locklear a small birthday party at Applebees. I was hoping you'd like to come along."

I smiled and raised an eyebrow and said, "You mean you were hoping Miss Locklear and I would take a little bit of time to get to know each other better."

Mister Montoya narrowed his eyes but the smile creeping up on the corners of his lips betrayed that little bit of emotion. I knew I had him. He and a few of the other teachers had been trying to find reasons to get Miss Locklear and me together seemingly since I started working at the school. Nothing can be worse than a match maker with a goal. I swear, if Grams ever found out, I'd have a real problem as she'd be helping them along!

"Yes well," Mister Montoya chuckled finally, rubbing his jaw. "You can't blame me for trying. So, will you be joining us?"

I sighed, "Much as the thought of dinner sweetens the pot, I'm going to have to take a rain-check sir. I have a lot of reports to read and grade, and I need to run a few errands for my grandmother today as well."

He nodded and said, "That I can understand, then. Family first. I also needed to ask what days you'd be traveling to Las Vegas for your ... other occupation."

He said 'other' with something akin to venom laced into the words. I knew he and several members of the staff did not approve of my second job. They thought it was dangerous and that the sport itself was a bad influence on America's youth. That's fine. They're entitled to their opinion, but it doesn't change my own.

I replied, "The show is on Sunday, the twenty-sixth of this month, but I'll need the Thursday and Friday prior off for traveling and promotional purposes. It's a big show and I was asked to make a few autograph appearances. Plus Grams is going with me so I'll need some extra travel time. She wants to go by car and see the country. Last time we went by plane."

Mister Montoya smiled, "Your grandmother is going with you? I think that's commendable. A lot of youth today would balk at taking their grandparents with them on any form of little adventure."

I laughed and reached back to scratch the back of my head. I immediately felt a jolt of pain go through my shoulder blades but fought to hide it. I shouldn't have even bothered trying. Mister Montoya was an observant individual.

He frowned and asked, "Are you alright?"

"Yes sir." I answered in a bit of a half-truth. "I just pulled a muscle and it acts up every so often."

He nodded, accepting this explanation. He patted me on the back and led me to the parking lot, "Well I won't lie and say I'm sorry you won't be at the party to keep Miss Locklear entertained, but we'll manage. I'll put in the paper work for your travel days and find a substitute for you. You'll be returning...?"

He raised his eyebrows in questioning as we arrived at my car and I said, "Wednesday, sir. We'll be leaving early Monday back for home but it'll still take us awhile."

"Wednesday." He repeated. "That's fine. I know of a few teachers who can take over the class for that amount of time."

"I appreciate it." I said, and I meant it. I was very lucky to have a teaching position where the faculty, although not approving of my second job, supported my decision to do it and helped me out in small ways so that i could continue doing what I loved.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I started to think about the match that Mister Parker told me I was to be competing in. A battle royal in the roulette division, and apparently if I can win the match, I'll be deemed the number one challenger to the Roulette Championship. Easier said than done. I don't know much about this division, except that every match is a mystery. A spin of the wheel and surprise! It could be anything from hardcore rules to blindfolds worn by every wrestler to wrestling in a kiddie pool filled with mud.

(Please don't let it be the mud pool match! I'm all for trying new things but that would just be obscene! I bet Grams would get a good laugh out of it though.)

Whatever the rules might end up being, I know that a battle royal is still a battle royal. Over the top rope eliminations instead of pinfalls or submissions. That puts me in a bind because I truly do prefer regular wrestling competitions. Something this unique puts me at a serious disadvantage, and with six other men going for the same goal, it makes the entire event unpredictable. I spoke to Mister Parker at length over the phone about this match. he and I agreed that one-on-one, against any of the men entered in this match, I could walk away the winner. But when it was a battle royal and every man for himself, that made things more difficult. I could still wrestle a man and try to break his body down like I would under normal circumstances, but once he was down on the mat, I'd still have to pick him up and try to dump him out of the ring. And that's providing one of the other men doesn't decide to stop me or attack me when I'm working on someone else. I don't think there are any partnerships in this match but that doesn't mean any won't form between the men to try and get the eliminations secured, easier.

I pulled my Ford Fiesta into the parking lot of the Kroger grocery and switched off the engine. I was anxious to get home, but Grams asked me to pick up a few things for her and I needed to refill my ... my prescription.

I locked the car and grabbed one of those hand baskets and started into the store. Best to get this done and over with. As I made my way through the aisles, trying to avoid the crushing crowd of after-work shoppers, I started to let my mind wander again to the match fast approaching. Or more so, the different men in it. I see that my old "tag team partner", Old Skool, is one of the entrants. I wasn't that thrilled that he lost our match and embarrassed me in front of my own grandmother, I don't mind telling you. I brought her all the way to Vegas to see me win at least once but it didn't work out the way i had hoped. It'll be interesting to see what happens should he and I decide to lock up. I'm not looking for any more tag team partners so a battle of the former partners? Might make a few sit up and take notice.

I finished grabbing the milk and hamburger Grams asked me to get for her, then made my way to the pharmacy and dropped off my prescription. The pharmacist told me that it'd be about thirty minutes so I had a seat and waited.

Primetime Matthew Kennedy is another wrestler from London. Sometimes I wonder if they have a breeding ground in England for wrestlers because we've had a slew of them arrive in Sin City Wrestling. This guy is cocky. He talks a good game but so far he hasn't been able to back it up in the ring. This might make him more dangerous and unpredictable going into this match because he's going to want to get this win secured and get off of this slump he seems to be in. The Jackel Adam Smith is going to be the wildcard of the entire match because it's his debut. This is going to be a big chance for him, to walk away in his SCW debut as the number one challenger to a championship? If he were to accomplish this, it would solidify his status with the fans and the staff. Problem for him is that I'm betting he'll be the target of the eventual pairings to make certain it doesn't work out that way. The last two men were actually opponents on the last card. Bobby the Convict Cage and Brandon Medeiros. As I understand it, Bobby is a veteran of sorts with the business, and came out of retirement to join Sin City Wrestling. I can see why the staff has their eyes on him. All due respect to Brandon, Bobby tore him a new one. I imagine Brandon might be going for a bit of payback in this match which should make things interesting if I were just on the outside looking in. But no, I'm going to be on the inside of the ring, right smack dab in the middle of all that chaos. With my grandmother right there in front row watching and cheering me on. And you know something?

I'm looking forward to it.

>
The path you take will lead you toward your goal.