Author Topic: I think I still have what it takes.  (Read 1503 times)

Steven Kline

I think I still have what it takes.
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »

scene one – walk down memory lane

[ The SCW cameras fade in and onto me, a new addition to the roster, and I’m in a spare room of my Beverly Hills’ home. Inside that room I have pulled out several boxes marked wrestling and I begin going through the boxes. I am kneeled on the floor as I start to reminisce the good ole days. I am casually dressed in some white basketball shorts, red tank top, bare feet, and my hair not even comb. As I look up to the doorway because the door leading inside the room was left open, I see my beautiful wife walking by. She stops at the door to look inside the room. ]

Steven Kline: Hey babe, come look at what I found.

[ I motion for my wife to come in and look at what I found. So she walks inside the room and kneels on the opposite side of the box. ]

Kayleigh Kline: Oh wow, all your old wrestling stuff. You know most people put these in glass cases and plaques?

[ She brings up a good point, but I have my reasons why I keep everything in boxes. ]

Steven Kline: I know, but we’re parents now. I much rather have my sons’ awards and trophies around the house.

[ She scoots her to me and kisses my forehead. ]

Kayleigh Kline: And that’s why you’re a great dad. Do you want any lunch?

[ I shake my head as she gets to her feet. ]

Kayleigh Kline: I’m going to go finish lunch and feed the kids. We’re leaving in an hour or so, so be ready.

Steven Kline: OK babe.

[ I watch her walk away as I pull out an IHWA World Heavyweight Championship. I hold it in my grasps and even press it against my chest. ]

Steven Kline: Oh God the memories! I use to be one of the best competitors.

[ I think back at some of my IHWA matches and I smile at the thought. I set the title to my side and run my hand over the face of it. I continue looking through the box and pull out my tights. I hold them up after looking at the size. ]

Steven Kline: Haha, I’m still that size. I just hope I use to be that guy who filled them. I still can’t believe I’m going to be getting back inside the ring. Anything can really go down in SCW, but it’s really shocking to think they put me against a major player in the company for my debut. This could only mean two things: their intention is to use me as a jobber or they sincerely want to give me a chance.

[ I fold my tights up and set them on top of my belt. I pull out a plaque that is welcoming me to the IHWA Hall of Fame. I hold it up. ]

Steven Kline: No plaque can ever make me smile like when my kids win a football or baseball championship. This was a great honor being inducted to the IHWA Hall of Fame. It sure makes my name legendary, but I have to remember nobody in SCW knows who Steven Kline is. As far as they’re concerned, I’m just some rookie who walked in from the streets. I have a lot to prove before I get inducted in anymore Hall of Fames. But I definitely remember this night; my life and family were there. It was a good night.

[ I set the plaque back inside the box and a tear falls down my cheek. I wipe it with my fist and shake my head. I stand up from the floor and walk out from the room. ]

Steven Kline: It’s too damn emotional thinking about the past. I have to get the past off my mind!

[ I walk down the stairs where my wife and kids are to join them. I sit next to my oldest son and rub the top of his head. We continue to enjoy our meals and the cameras fade away. ]

scene two – my first match back in at least two years.

[ The SCW cameras come back on inside my home and my kids have all left to practice as did my wife. I am sitting in my recliner with some of my past accomplishments. I smile down at them before the camera fades up to me. ]

Steven Kline: If you ask me what I was thinking when I decided to sign a SCW contract, I wouldn’t know what to say. Part of me missed this sport and wanted to come back for a match, but now I am excited to be back and want to go on for more than one match. Whatever the reason may be, I’m here and I’m not going anywhere. I had an opportunity to glance over the rosters and majority of the people I have no clue who they are. I also have no idea who my opponent is this week. I know he’s from Canada, he’s around the same body structure as me, and his name is Blade Alexander. I also know he’s some big shot here in SCW.

[ I run my hand across one of mine old championships and start talking with my face slanted down. ]

Steven Kline: Don’t think for one-second I’m going to find a way to botch my SCW debut up because I’m not. I see the potential this match could have on my career here. I could be something big if I play my cards right. I know Blade Alexander is a fierce competitor and possibly capable edging me out this week on Climax Control. I’ve been out of the game for a while, so I’m sure there are tons of new wrestling styles to my old school one. I’m pretty sure there are a few things that have continued on from when I was in my prime. I’m sure heart, determination, and consistency still play an enormous factor in our careers. If it’s one thing I do have, it’s heart. I know my adrenaline rushes and blood boils when I just think about stepping back inside the ring. I love the feeling of taking down my opponents and technically outsmarting them. I like to carry some honor and dignity when I wrestle. The reason why is, I like to be remembered for something more than just that arrogant guy who’s undefeated or the future of the company. I want to be seen as that hard working S.O.B who puts 110% into everything he does.

[ I peep up. ]

Steven Kline: I’m sure somebody as talented and accomplished in SCW, Blade has his doubts about what I can potentially do in the ring. Trust me, I have been counted out and doubted my entire life. It’s not a big deal if Blade contributes to it, but the one thing everybody realizes after the fact is they should have never doubted me in the first place. I am way too determined to go out like some punk. My children love watching their daddy wrestle and I like to show them hard work pays off. If you win matches accordingly to the rules, you will never go wrong in the business. The more and more I think about it, I have faced so many men who’ve tried to cheat me out of matches and championships. I hope Blade does not contribute to cheating, but if he does I’m ready for it. I always expect the worst because then you never get disappointed. If Blade does retreat to cheating tactics, I’ll use them against him. I’ll make look even more foolish than he does when he cheats. Then again, I don’t know if he intends to cheat or not. I’m only expecting the worst.

[ I pause and smile. ]

Steven Kline: All in all, if everything goes well this week, we will have a blockbuster match. It might even take away from the stardom the main event has going on. Who knows? If everything goes right for me and I walk out with the victory, I might just establish myself here as a future SCW title contender. Now that does have a sound ring to it, doesn’t it? Oh yeah, I forgot I’m talking to my opponent. I don’t think Blade would openly admit to how happy he would be for me if I was to beat him.

[ I lift my head up and laugh as I shake it, bringing it back down. ]

Steven Kline: Blade, bottom line is this: there’s nothing personal between us. We don’t have to make this a hatred rivalry blooming in the future. We don’t need to turn a perfectly normal standard match into a hatred thing. I don’t want to hate you or keep fighting with you because we disrespect each other’s personal lives. We don’t have to go down that route. I do want you to know though, I’m not some pushover. This company did not hire me as a speed bump for superstars to get their careers established. I was hired, like you, to do something more with my career. I saw your history in the business and it’s honorable. It is hella respectable and you’ve done a lot for a young fella. Blade, I can look you in the eyes and shake your hand after the match: win or lose. Can you do the same? Or are you too prideful to shake the hand of a man who beat you?

[ I rub my chin and cheek as I pop my neck. ]

Steven Kline: I didn’t plan a whole promo or speech. I thought I would just wing it and invite you and the SCW into my personal life. The whole SCW is like a family, right? Well, I am introducing you to my immediate family. I did not ask to shoot this promo to get one up on you like you might tell yourself. I wanted you to know how excited I was going into this match and I can’t wait to make my wrestling redebut. I hope you bring all you can because I intend to do the same. When a person waves a hundred dollar bill in front of your face, what are you going to do? You’re going to go for it. That’s how this match is to me. They toss in the bait and have me hooked. I am looking to start off my SCW career with a total impact. Anyway, Blade if I don’t see you before Climax Control best of luck and may the best man win. If I see you before, well then, we will take it from there.

[ I get up from my chair and swings my title over my shoulder. I look down at the belt and begin remembering the days when I use to walk that down to many matches. I smile and start walking out from the room. The cameras fade out. ]