Author Topic: Brothers In Arms Chapter 11(Bonus): Mistakes Were Made  (Read 896 times)

Offline Jack Washington

• View Profile
    • Jack Washington
Brothers In Arms Chapter 11(Bonus): Mistakes Were Made
« on: March 24, 2023, 11:02:08 PM »
Prologue:

Jack was unsuccessful in winning at Blaze of Glory, losing to Peter Vaughn in a match Jack was very confident about winning. Now Jack will have to go back to the drawing board from a singles match perspective, but now he faces participating in the Blast From the Past tournament, something he clearly doesn’t enjoy, and teaming with Bobbie Dahl, which also doesn’t make Jack happy, as they prepare to enter the tournament as a team. Or... something close to it.

Outside the ring, after not one, but two instances of Jack’s past invading his present, he relied on his old Police friend Jessica De La Fuente to find out just who is behind the intrusions. Jessica agreed after much deliberation, knowing her life could be at risk in doing so. But while Jessica does her work, Jack and company can only play the waiting game, trying not to stress about how this is all going to play out.

--

Blaze Of Glory

Las Vegas, NV

Two weeks ago

Jack was with the trainer after his match, getting checked out after his loss, which had the already surly Jack in a foul mood. Once he was almost finished, there was a knock at the door, and Bobbie Dahl is waving at him, to which Jack is at first confused, and then obviously annoyed.

Bobbie: Hiya Jackie!

Jack stared daggers at Bobbie who threw up her hands, trying not make the situation worse, but there really was no winning that battle when it came to Jack.

Bobbie: Soooo... I don’t know if you heard the news, but we’re uh... we’re teaming up in the tournament.

Jack rolled his eyes and shook his head.

Jack: Great. You’ve let me know your message. You can leave now.

Bobbie: Come on, Jackie, all I’m asking for is a chance.

Jack: A chance? For what? Look, I don’t want you, or anyone else as my partner. The only reason I entered this tournament was to win the world title, and it’s my best chance. All you have to do is not screw it up. And judging by how this is starting? It’s gonna be another waste of my time.

Bobbie: Hey, I’ve beaten lots of people! And I’m trying to make this work! And this was my best chance to talk to you. 

Jack: No.

Bobbie sighs.

Bobbie: Okay, this wasn’t the best time, I get it. But even when I was here before, you were always by yourself. You seem a little... I don’t know, lonely. I figured, might as well try and forge a relationship.

Jack: By interrupting me?

Bobbie: I said it wasn’t the best time, okay?! Not the best first impression. Okay, so we got off... on the wrong foot. But that doesn’t mean we can’t make this work. I’m just here to talk, and you know get to know one another.

Jack: I don’t want to “get to know you”, Bobbie. We’re not partners by choice, we’re partners by chance. You were sitting at home on your ass and just threw your name in the hat. You haven’t been working at this.

Bobbie: And I got off my ass and I’m here now! Can’t you give me a little credit? This is MY chance too! And I know with you as my partner, we can get this done. It’s possible.

Jack: Until you screw it up.

Bobbie: Why are you so rude?!

Jack: Because I tell the truth and people don’t like it. This is a business relationship. We’re not going to hang out or go to the mall or whatever it is you like to do. I don’t know, and I don’t care.

Bobbie: The mall? How old do you think I am? I get it, it’s business, but we have to be a team. And teammates have to trust each other! This was a gesture of friendship! A short-sighted one, but a gesture.

Jack: I don’t want to be your friend, Bobbie.

Bobbie: Because you haven’t gotten to know me. Look, All I’m asking for is a chance. Okay, let’s just talk. Make conversation. You’ll see I’m a lot more than meets the eye!

Jack didn’t respond to that, but hopped off the trainer’s table and begins walking away, Bobbie trying to keep up with him.

Bobbie: Come on Jackie!

Jack: STOP. CALLING ME THAT!

Bobbie: Okay! Okay! I’m just trying to be friendly. Jack. Okay? Jack. 

Jack: Don’t you get it? I don’t want to talk to you, I don’t want to be friends, or even partners with you. We’re not a thing! We will NEVER be a thing!

Bobbie folds her arms.

Bobbie: Not with that attitude! Can we at least try? It’s gonna take both of us to win! Whether you want to admit it or not, we’re in this together. You want to win, I want to win. If we work together, I think we can do it. But we’re not gonna get anywhere if you don’t trust me at least a little.

Jack: …

Jack begrudgingly sees the point Bobbie is making. He shakes his head, looking up and is obviously annoyed at all this.

Jack: I will never trust you. Not even as far as I can throw you.

Bobbie: Let’s just chat. Come on, just work with me here!

Jack: Ugh... fine. What do you want to talk about?

Bobbie’s grin is from ear to ear. 

Bobbie: Yes! You see, just trust me. I feel like I’m Barbra Walters or something? I’m getting inside the mind of Jack Washington! I’m breaking new ground!

Jack: Oh my god...

Bobbie: Relax, I’m not gonna probe you... okay, that was poor choice of words. I won’t grill you. I promise.

Jack: Kill me now...

Bobbie: Okay, just one question then I swear I’ll let you be.

Jack: What is it?

Bobbie: Okay, so... don’t get mad, but, I never see you with anybody. Like ever. No like... special lady or anything?

Bobbie: So... are you... you know...

Jack: You said one question. We’re done here.

--

Harry Reid International Airport

Las Vegas, NV.

Jack has already boarded the flight, and he is sitting down in the aisle seat. Ignoring most of the stewardesses, he has his phone on and headphones in, listening to music. He is basically ignoring everything until there is a commotion in front of him, and low and behold, it’s Bobbie Dahl, who is waving to him.

Bobbie: Jack! 

Jack: How? HOW? Why?

Jack tries desperately to ignore Bobbie. She continues to wave and motion as she tries to get past people in the crowded and cramped airplane. She ends up next to Jack and look down at her ticket.

Bobbie: Whoa, isn’t this convienient! I’m in the window seat!

Jack tries ignoring her, but she puts her bag in the overheard compartment and shrugs.

Bobbie: Unless you want it?

Jack removes his headphones, still annoyed.

Jack: What?

Bobbie: The window seat... It’s my seat.

Jack: Oh, for the love of... Why are you even on this flight?

Bobbie: Because I live in Vegas.  Didn’t you know that?

Jack: No, why would I know that?

Jack begrudingly gets up and moves for Bobbi. Bobbi is cramped, but finds a way into the small airplane seat. Jack sits back down and tries to put his headphones in, but Bobbie is already leaning into him.

Bobbie: So, how’s it going, partner?

Jack: Do not.

Bobbie: Look, it’s a long flight. Your phone isn’t going to last forever. We can talk, strategize and stuff!

Bobbie: I thought we agreed to talk to each other? Communicate! We’re a team.

Jack: There is no “We”, Bobbie.

Bobbie: There has to be otherwise we’re gonna lose. You agreed! Come on!

Jack angrily, slaps his headphones down and stares at Bobbie.

Jack: WHAT? What could you POSSIBLY want to talk about?

Bobbie: I’m just trying to make conversation.

Jack: You suck at it.

Bobbie: If you’re going to be rude we’re never gonna get anywhere!

Jack: Oh my god...

Bobbie: So... just making conversation here... We are you from... orgininally?

Jack: You already know this. Philadelphia.

Bobbie: How would I know? Okay, we’re just starting small. 

Jack: Last time you asked me if I was gay.

Bobbie: Again, baby steps. I apologize. I just notice these things.

Jack: I don’t need you to notice anything.

Bobbie: But you’re not though, right?

Jack: Okay, one... No. Two, it’s none on of your damn business! What kinds of questions are these?

Bobbie: Okay, we don’t have to get that personal. I gotcha. Just seeing my boundries. So hypothetical... if you WERE, which dude on the SCW roster would you do?

Jack looks incredulously at Bobbie.

Jack: Are you serious, right now?

Bobbie: I’m no saying you HAVE to! I’m just saying, for the sake of argument. Like Fenris right? Totally Fenris. I mean, if I was gay and a man, that’s who I’d do.

Jack: What is wrong with you?

Bobbie: Okay, okay, we’ll move off of the topic. I just want to get you to open up.

Jack: From the way you’re talking you want to do Fenris.

Bobbie: What? No!  I’m very happy in my life.

Jack: So, you do wanna bang Fenris?

Bobbie: Look, having a small crush on someone does not mean you want to bang them!

Jack: You’re borderline obsessed.

Bobbie: I am not! 

Jack shakes his head.

Jack: I thought we were going to talk strategy?

Bobbie: Well, let’s talk strategy. You think that Ogopogo thing is real?

Jack: The what?

Bobbie: You know, we’re going to Ogopogo for the match. It’s a monster in the lake.

Jack: What does that have to do with our match?

Bobbie: Oh, right, the strats.

Jack: Strats?

Bobbie: Yeah, it’s shorthand for strategy.

Jack: DO YOU HAVE A PLAN?

Bobbie: Oh, no. We need to make one.

Jack: Just... don’t screw up.

Bobbie: What, that’s it?

Jack: Does it have to involve more than that?

Bobbie: Well how will I know if I screw up? Not saying I will, or won’t. I’m just saying what happens if I do and then there’s still time to fix it?

Jack: Then it’s not a screw up.

Bobbie: Oh, it’s that easy? Okay, cool. I guess, strategy session over?

Jack: Thank god.

Bobbie: So, like what’s your best celebrity impression?

Jack: Are you KIDDING ME?

Bobbie: I’m afraid I don’t know that one.

Jack: BECAUSE IT’S WAS A BIT!

Bobbie: I thought we were bonding! Teamwork!

Jack looks like he’s about to explode. The stewardess comes over and taps him on the shoulder.

Stewardess: Sir, I’m going to need you to calm down and lower your voice.

Jack: Can... Can I get a different seat?

Stewardess: I’m sorry, we’re full up. Everyone made the flight. Now please, if you could keep your voice down.

Jack goes to say something, but clenches his fists and tries to keep his anger in check.

Bobbie: I mean, other people have been way louder. You should hear some of those SCW girls when they get together.

Jack: Stop! Okay. Just...stop!

Bobbie: Okay, relax, goodness you’re face is all red and stuff. I mean, we can talk about my hometown. Chicago. You ever been there?

Jack: … Will it get you to stop if I say yes?

Bobbie: Well, okay, I’m not actually FROM Chicago, I’m from Coal City, that’s like an hour away and I think if you’re within like an hour of some big city, it’s cool to say you’re from that city. I mean, what if literally it was down to like 5 feet or something with those crazy city limits designs they have? Those are wacky as heck. Anyway, I always thought Chicago was so cool because it’s like a big city, but it’s not like you know, the city people think of when they talk about a BIG city. It’s like Chicago is just as busy as any other place, you know?

Jack had been trying to tune Bobbie out, so he had no idea what she said.

Jack: … Yes.

Bobbie: See, I’m glad you agree with me! It reminds me of the time, I wanna say I was like 10. And this was just like the worst morning when I got up and my hair was a mess and I just felt terrible. And so I made myself a piece of toast, and it wasn’t like the good bread either. We had for some reason bought like the off-brand bread. You ever have that? It just tastes different to me. 

Jack: I’ve made a terrible mistake.

At this point Jack is no longer paying attention, having put his headphones in and is looking at his phone. Bobbie is still talking but even she isn’t looking at Jack. She’s just going. 

Time passes and Jack has fallen asleep, and as he awakens, Bobbie is laying on his shoulder. He jerks her awake and she is startled by this.

Bobbie: Huh? Are we there yet?

Jack: If you’re going to sleep, sleep against the window.

Bobbie: Oh, yeah... So uh... you think we should have like a team name or something?

Bobbie: Every good team needs a name. We could be like Sonny and Cher and sing “I got you, kid”.

Jack: Babe.

Bobbie: What?

Jack: It’s I got you, Babe. Not kid.

Bobbie: Okay find, maybe we’ll be like some other great duo. 

Jack: Just... focus on not being a joke anymore.

Bobbie: … You think I’m a joke?

Jack: Everybody thinks you’re a joke, Bobbie. I really couldn’t care less. If I were you, I’d spend less time thinking about lake monster or celebrities or fucking toast. 

Bobbie turns and thinks for a second.

Bobbie: You... you were paying attention.

Jack: It was like a fly in my ear. 

The captain comes over the intercom

Captain: Ladies and gentlemen we’ll be landing in Kelowna very shortly. As always we’d like thank you for traveling with us today, and we hope to see you again next time you have a flight. 

Bobbie: Well... it wasn’t that bad was it?

Jack: Let’s just say mistakes were made...

--

On Camera:

Click

Jack, as usual, wears a scowl on his face as he sits in what appears to be a hotel room. He looks especially exasperated on this occasion.

Jack: I should have won, and I didn't. It's that simple. It's how it goes sometimes. I'm not going to cry over spilled milk, because I know who I am. But hey, now I can already see the future, they’re going to give Peter Vaughn all that other bullshit pats on the back, and me? Well, obviously, I have to go back to square one. I have to start all over again. That’s the way this has worked for some time. And even when I get where I need to be, they throw some completely irrelevant jackasses in my way instead of just giving me what I earned. It’s ridiculous. And now? Now, I have to team with some chick and do some stupid mixed tag tournament thing to get where I need to go. 

The thought did occur to me to simply throw this stupid match, and maybe, since everyone else is in the tournament, I’d be one of those guys to get one of those random ass championship matches thrown my way. But then again, I stop and think... “No, they won’t give it to me.” No, no, I have to win this damn thing otherwise they will continue to hold it over my head like I’m the worst person in the world. Everybody else gets something, and I’m left with my dick in my hand, trying to figure out what the hell is going on. 

I have busted my ass, and jumped through every damn hoop, but there just bring more and more my way. This stupid Blast from the Past tournament has been nothing but a waste of my time, and I’ve already proven I am more than capable of winning the world title on my own. I don’t NEED to have to drag someone else to get where they need to go. I’ve already had to drag this company kicking and screaming to where it needs to be, and every time I have a grip on things, some asshole comes out of the woodwork to ruin it. It has happened twice, and when I kick the shit out of Michael Harris or Calvin Harris or Wood Harris or whoever is the damn champion, I’m sure they’ll just do it again. 

They left me with no other options than to do this. Twice now, I have been let down by trying to rely on these women to at least hold up their end of the bargain. All they have had to do is not lose, and actually give two ounces of effort and we can win. It’s not that hard. But every time it’s been getting only so far, only to be let down. It’s like the definition of insanity around here.

Jack holds his head in his hands as he continues.

Jack: So, I’ll make this really simple for Bobbie Dahl. Crystal clear in fact since the bullshit has already started. All you have to do is show up and not be a liability. Don’t stand around gawking at the fans or trying to build some kind of relationship with me. I don’t know what that stupid bra bullshit was, but we’re not going to be doing any of that. We’re here, and together, despite everything, and you and I have to work together. I’ve already shown I’m a leader and capable of making all the correct decisions. It’s a simple relationship we have to have, you understand? It’s two people who have to work for a common goal. You want to prove to people you’re not a loser, right? That you actually are capable of doing something and not being the butt of all the jokes around SCW, right? This is your chance. You should be able to handle every single woman that enters the ring against you. You should be a killer. For once in your life, just don’t be a complete joke and try and make this something it isn’t. I will tell you up front, here and now: If you follow my lead, if you do the things you know you can do and just listen, we’ll win the whole damn thing. Just focus on the task at hand. 

I mean, you know you hit the jackpot when it comes to having me as a tag partner. Why? Because you know I’m good. You know I’m everything I say I am. You just have to keep that mindset and just... you know... do something when you need to do something. I don’t need you distracted by anybody trying to tell you to make jokes or do something stupid. You should be able to weed that stuff out of your life. At the very least, just think about how much better it’s going to be, and how much respect you’re going to get when at you’re right there at the end and you finally get over the hump. Yes, I am doing you a favor, but you really don’t need to, and quite frankly, you shouldn’t thank me.

Because I’m just letting you know now that once this whole tournament is over, it doesn’t matter to me what you do after it. You can go back to sitting on the couch at your house and pet your dog, or whatever the hell you were doing before this. You came back here for a reason. Let’s focus on that reason and make this easy. The way I see it, you can follow my lead, focus on getting your respect back, and we’ll be fine. 

You handle whatever her name is Calloway or whatever and I will take care of Alexander Raven. I think that’s the teams. Sure. Whatever. You got it, Bobbie? Good. Good talk.

Jack then shifts his weight in his chair, and the stone cold gaze returns to the camera.

Jack: Alex, my guy, for the life of me, I did not remember you. I didn't even know you were Internet champion until the match was announced here. Because I came in and dominated that division. They had to send the same guy a million times before I just got tired of it. How many more times was I going to have to face Goth because I went insane. They were just going to keep sending him, time after time, until he eventually won. It was nauseating. 

Gonna be honest with you here chief, I have not been paying attention to you for as long as I can remember. To me, you were just an opponent one time and I kicked your ass and that was pretty much supposed to be it. You see, I have a very simply philosophy. I beat someone up, and then I move on. I leave them in my review mirror, my guy. You think I give two shits about Peter Vaughn now? No. And I stopped caring about you a long time ago.

But I guess you got some kind of grudge or something because I beat you. You had to make your little tweet about how you’re gunning for some kind of payback or whatever, and bro, I gotta be honest here, again... I don’t care. Whatever personal stupid vendetta vengeance thing you got going? I don’t care. As far as I’m concerned, I’m already above you in the pecking order. I’m already reached the top of the mountain, twice. I’ve been at the head of this company for a long time, and people like you? I hope you are comfortable with your Internet championship, because that’s going to be as far as your elevator goes, my guy. I rose above it, came back down and did that too.

So why would I be concerned about you wanting revenge on me? Please, Alex, tell me. You explain it to me, why I should give two shits about what you think. Who are you? Have you been world champion? No. Have you SNIFFED at it? No. Add to that, that I beat you the last time we wrestled, and I have ZERO reason to be concerned. I’m more concerned about my partner losing the match, than I am about you actually fucking winning it. You really think I care about your quest for validation? Sorry to rain on your parade my guy, but it’s just another day to me. You are just the first round opponent to me. It’s just that simple. But you know what that tweet did? It got me thinking. So, good on you for that. But really... it got me thinking.

Now it’s become amusing to me. What happens if you lose again, Alex? What happens when you find yourself without a championship, and you’ve got zero to fucking show for all your rhetoric? I mean, I’ve heard you talking up a storm before about hunting and whatever the fuck else you drone on about. But seriously, what happens when you lose to me again? I mean, twice? And then you lose your championship on top of it? How embarrassing would that be? How on earth would you be able to show your face anywhere in SCW again? 

See, here’s how this is supposed to work, Alex. You fight me, you lose, and you move on. You harboring some kind of weird grudge is dumb, even for someone like you. But the point is, you’re supposed to move on. Because people who move on, they become just a faded memory to me. Those that are smart, keep my name out of their mouth after the match, and they move on with their careers. That’s what most people have done. Those who kept saying my name, those who kept trying to prove that I wasn’t what I say I am, end up hurt, embarrassed, or both.  People who don’t let it go, end up way worse than everybody else.

Do you wanna be that guy, Raven? Puff out your chest and fail miserably, yet again, walk away without a title and be left wondering why the hell you made that choice? You seem hell bent on that, so okay, we’ll play this little game. What happens after you lose again? Are you going to get DOUBLE revenge on me? Are you going to come after me, twice as hard? I’m actually genuinely curious to see how badly you take this loss. 

But, I’d be lying if I said I actually wanted to win the Internet title again before that tweet. I really don’t need to win that again, but thanks to your motivation, I’m actually really wanting to win it, just to see the look on your stupid face when it happens. Are you going to fucking cry about it? Like actual tears? I’d be all for that. That, and it makes for a decent consolation prize just in case I get screwed out of this tournament. So, you will have nobody to blame but yourself when this all blows up in your face Alex Raven.

Before you opened your mouth, you were just another opponent. Now, you’re a target. Now, instead of just beating you and moving on, you’ve opened my eyes and now, I’m gonna remember this shit so fondly. To be Internet champion again and take it from somebody so hellbent on getting win back, is going to be fucking hilarious. And you better believe that I will rub this in your face at every turn. I will NEVER let you forget the day you got beat and lost the Internet title to me. Oh no, I will remember March 26th forever now. And it’s going to be all your fault, Raven. I hope you can live with that.

And I hope you can live another fact of life, Alex. I'm above you. I will ALWAYS be above you. No matter angry you get, no matter how much you want revenge, it's not going to change. I'm going to beat you. No... Bobbie and I are going to beat you and that Calloway chick and then, once again, you will be in my rear view. And I take your Internet champion on top of it.

I hope you're happy with what you've unleashed.

Jack actually seems to relish the thought of beating Alexander Raven now.

Jack: And just... before I go, I want Michael Harris to know I’m not going to go away. Mike, you have better hope and pray that Bobbie Dahl somehow loses this for me. Because if that happens, you can consider yourself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth. You should be counting your lucky stars right here and now. But I also want you to take a good, long hard look at my face. Because first, I’m going to take the Internet title from Alexander Raven, and then when you see this face again, I will be aiming for you. Hopefully you take notes, and you actually learn from the mistakes Alexander made. Because you make them... You don’t have a chance in hell against me.

Anyway, get ready Alex. I can’t wait to see the look on your face. And whatever the Calloway chick thinks, I'm going to go out on a limb and actually think that Bobbie will come through. It may come back to bite me on hte ass, but one last time, I'm going to trust somebody else.

Jack stares into the camera as the scene fades.

Click.

Face. Of. The. Franchise.