Author Topic: A Lot To Be Thankful For  (Read 823 times)

Offline O Malley

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • O'Malley
A Lot To Be Thankful For
« on: December 02, 2022, 03:10:44 PM »
Thanksgiving 2017

Thanksgiving. It is the holiday of the year(to Americans at least) where friends and family come together for a large feast and celebrate what they are most thankful for. At least, that is how it should be, but there are no doubt many families that this holiday is filled with drama, chaos and outright dysfunction. A sad, but occasionally true, fact of how things can be.

While O’Malley had never really celebrated Thanksgiving because of the fact he was a born and raised Irishman, he was now a resident of the United States and a member of Misty’s family since the two had gotten married not long ago. And as Misty had shared stories of the past Waters Family holiday gatherings, he was quite nervous for how this year was going to go.

Misty had never hosted Thanksgiving dinner before, but her attitude had drastically changed since she and O’Malley had gotten married. O’Malley had noticed her entire outlook had changed and for the better, so she wanted to do something different this year. She had even gone as far as to extend an invitation to her older sister, Jackie and her son Luke. O’Malley had yet to meet Jackie, due to Jackie’s estrangement from the entire family. Misty hadn’t told him much, but apparently Jackie had some mental health and substance abuse issues and she wasn’t always in the best living situation.

Perhaps lucky for O’Malley, Jackie had declined the invitation, citing financial reasons in being unable to attend. Even though Misty had offered to pay for her to fly to Las Vegas, Jackie still refused. Luke, however, wanted nothing more than to join his family for Thanksgiving. He was currently living with his father, but they had made arrangements for the teenager to fly to Las Vegas for a few days, staying with Misty and O’Malley at their home.

As for Misty’s other two sisters, Desiree and Dixie? Desiree had already made plans to spend the holiday with her husband’s family, and their two young twins. Desiree wasn’t a big fan of O’Malley’s as it was, so her absence was probably for the best to avoid any drama on such an important day for Misty. Dixie, however, would be joining with her husband. And Misty’s parents would be there as well.

Misty and O’Malley are currently in the kitchen, working on cooking all of the food as they wait for Dixie, her husband and her parents. Luke is in the front family room keeping Owen occupied and Misty’s daughter Eden is with them, although her attention is all on the television and her program of choice at the moment- The National Dog Show. It has been Eden’s favorite thing to watch on Thanksgiving since her attention span increased when she was younger. Even more than the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.

While all of the kids are occupied, O’Malley takes it upon himself to get a little flirty with his wife of just seven months. He wraps his arms around her while she is checking the turkey, even going so far as to sneak in a kiss to her neck. She laughs and gently shoos him away.

Misty: Really, O’Malley? You’re going to get all frisky now when I’m slaving over all of this food?

He keeps his arms wrapped around her and rests his head on her shoulder.

O’Malley: What can I say, love? I love seein’ ye so happy. Didn’t think ye’d be so happy cookin’ all this grub fer yer family, though. Maybe later ye can wear only that—

Before he can finish that sentence, Misty spins around and smacks him. She gently pushes him away with her right hand and he chuckles.

Misty: You know what would make me even happier? If you were to actually help me with the cooking. You know how much I want this Thanksgiving to go smoothly.

O’Malley: I know, love. And I understand. It’s our first Thanksgiving since we got married. Ye want yer parents to not hate me, but I already told ye…they’ll love me. Besides, I’m not American. I don’t know how much help I’d be cookin’ all this American food, ye know?

Misty leans back against the edge of the counter. She folds her arms across her chest and stares at him with a comical smirk on her face.

Misty: I still find it amusing that you’re so sure my parents will love you so much. Are you forgetting how Desiree feels about you? And as for all this food…you’re in America now and married to an American woman. You need to get used to the traditional holiday meals.

O’Malley: Ye might have a point about yer sister, but I can’t exactly charm my way back into her good graces if she never comes around. Trust me, I’ll make a good impression on yer parents. After all, I was the other reason they have their favorite grandson.

O’Malley winks, and Misty shakes her head. She turns around to put the turkey back into the oven and before she can respond, Luke appears in the kitchen having heard what O’Malley said.

Luke: I don’t recall you being my father. Is there some huge family secret I haven’t been told about?

Misty lets out a laugh and quickly looks back at O’Malley. He is slightly embarrassed at implying Owen was the favorite grandson, and stumbles to correct himself.

O’Malley: Oh, I didn’t…I just meant that…A little help here, love?

Misty: Oh no. You got yourself into this one. You can get yourself out.

Luke: Relax, man. It was a joke. I know my grandparents don’t pick favorites anyway. But if they did, it would absolutely be Owen.

O’Malley’s nervousness fades with Luke’s response. Luke heads over to the fridge and grabs a soda, quickly popping it open and taking a drink. O’Malley folds his arms, satisfied.

O’Malley: Well there ye go, then. Even he agrees with me.

Luke: Not completely. I said IF they had favorites it would be him. But they don’t, so they love us all equally. As for you, though? Don’t get too confident, because it takes a lot for the men who get involved with their daughters to earn their trust. Just ask my Dad. And my mom ended up being the one with the issues.

Misty: Regardless of all of that, I want both of you to be sure today goes without any fighting. I want today to be the start of memorable Waters’/O’Malley family Thanksgivings together. And it means a lot to have you here, Luke.

Misty has turned back around to face her husband and her nephew, who are now standing next to one another. O’Malley places a hand on Luke’s shoulder.

O’Malley: I agree. Yer welcome here anytime, fella. Yer a good kid. And Owen seems to love ye, too.

Luke: I’ll take you up on that whenever I can. It kinda sucks being so separated from this side of the family. Before I moved in with my Dad, my mom always made it seem like everyone else was the reason we never saw them.

O’Malley: I dunno yer Mum, fella, so I can’t say much. But count today as the beginning to things changin’.I want me boy-o Owen to know all of his family.

Just then, the doorbell rings. Owen is the first to run straight for the door, with Eden following behind him, knowing that her aunt and grandparents have finally arrived. Luke places his can of soda on the table before making his way towards the door. O’Malley is about to, but Misty stops him for a moment.

Misty: You ready for this?

O’Malley grins and nods once.

O’Malley: Of course I’m ready, love. They’ll love me. Trust me.

Misty: Well we’re about to find out, aren’t we?

O’Malley: Besides, even if today doesn’t go as planned…there’s always next year.

He winks again and quickly kisses her cheek. She offers up the best smile she can. They both then make their way to the door as they hear Eden and Owen’s excitement, and their parents booming voices. And while O’Malley assumed that they would have many Thanksgivings to come, little did any of them know the tragedy that would follow in just two weeks time.

>
Thanksgiving 2022

Oh how things have changed over the last five years in the O’Malley household. O’Malley had never imagined losing Misty not even a full year into their marriage. And while he had returned to Ireland and reconciled with his first love, Darcy, he couldn’t simply forget Misty, either. Regardless of how happy his life was currently. And Thanksgiving would always be another reminder of his late wife.

They had only had one Thanksgiving together, and while it wasn’t a holiday he was used to celebrating due to him being Irish, he found himself wanting to start back up this year. If only for Owen and his two daughters. Especially Owen, given the fact that his mother had found a renewed love for the holiday just weeks before she died.

He and Darcy weren’t doing anything over the top, as this was all fairly new to them. But they were giving it a shot all in the same. While their meal was over half way done, O’Malley felt something pulling him to make a drive to the cemetery where Misty was buried. He didn’t know why, as he was planning to take Owen there in a few weeks on the anniversary of her death. But he couldn’t shake this feeling that he needed to go there.

O’Malley: I’m gonna take a quick drive somewhere, love. I won’t be long.

O’Malley spoke to Darcy as she was pouring a glass of juice for Owen and keeping an eye on the twins while the food finished cooking. Darcy looked at him curiously.

Darcy: Where on earth are you going? Nothing is even open right now.

O’Malley: I’ll explain later. There’s just somethin’ I need to do, but I won’t be long, okay? Owen, boy-o, are ye good to help Darcy with yer sisters while I’m gone?

Owen: Sure! But where are you going?! It’s Thanksgiving!

O’Malley grins and lets out a chuckle.

O’Malley: I know, kiddo. I just have to run a quick errand and then I’ll be home. Ye be good and don’t carve the turkey without me!

Owen: I’m not big enough to hold a knife, remember?!

O’Malley and Darcy share a quick amused glance. She gives him a reassuring glance before he turns and heads towards the door. He grabs his jacket and keys, then heads out the door.

The cemetery wasn’t that far of a drive. About ten minutes, actually. But he would never forget how to get there or where in the cemetery she was buried. He had neglected to go there as often as he had first said he would, but then again he was with Darcy now. Making regular trips to the cemetery where your late first wife was buried wasn’t exactly wise, or even necessary at this point. He had made peace with the fact Misty was gone, and he knew wherever Misty was, she had too.

So what was pulling him to her gravesite today? He didn’t quite know, but he was sure he would find out in a few minutes as he got closer. A part of him wonders if he should have brought Owen as well, but something also told him that today was not the day for that. He needed to go alone.

As he pulled through the entrance gates and drove his car along the road leading to the section Misty was buried, he saw from a distance that someone else was there. He couldn’t tell who at first, or if they were at Misty’s gravesite, but once he was right by the section he needed to be, he found out. He saw her sitting there, her back against the gravestone, as he put his car in park and slowly removed the keys.

Misty’s daughter, Eden Staggs.

O’Malley couldn’t believe how much Eden had grown over the last five years. She was now fourteen, approaching fifteen years old in just a few months, and looked every bit the younger version of her mother. With a mix of Spike Staggs, also of course. He knew now that this was the reason he was being pulled here, and that Misty was why. Because her teenage daughter looked troubled in some way.

Eden looked up as O’Malley got out of the car and started making his way towards her. She was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and pulled the hood down, revealing her long black hair that went past her shoulders. She also had a journal with her and had been writing in it. She paused as she looked at her stepfather(former?) walking towards her.

Eden: Wow. Long time no see, O’Malley. I didn’t think I’d see you here. Considering you have a new family and all.

Okay. He wasn’t surprised by the way she said those words to him. Even still, they stung. But he guessed he deserved that.

O’Malley: It’s great to see ye, Eden. I know it’s been a while, but—

Eden: But what, exactly? The only reason it’s been a while is because of you. You never even attempted to see me even after you came back from Ireland with…her.

Her. Meaning Darcy. But she didn’t sound hateful. There was something else, and he needed to get to the bottom of it.

O’Malley: I understand, Eden. I really do. But the fact is, I’m not yer father. Spike is. And after everything I did with Owen, there’s no way they woulda let me see ye. They did everything they could to keep me away from Owen, too. Even when I was tryna make up fer what I did. And as fer Darcy…I didn’t just marry the first woman I met, Eden. Darcy and I have history. Please don’t think that just because I married Darcy that I don’t miss yer Mum.

Eden: That’s not what I’m saying. It just seems a little suspicious that you married Darcy so soon after Mom died.

She put a weird emphasis on Darcy’s name, and O’Malley noticed it right away. That was it. He had to know what this was all about.

O’Malley: Okay, what is goin’ on, lass? Yer voice changes when ye bring up Darcy, so it seems to me that something is goin’ on. So spill it.

Eden stared up at him, almost angry now before she spoke again.

Eden: You know damn well what is going on, O’Malley! That basement dwelling weirdo blasted it all over the internet that he thinks Mom is still alive and that she’s actually Darcy after plastic surgery!

His eyes widen. He should have expected that to be bothering her, but he didn’t think she could actually believe what The Troll had said. Could she?

O’Malley: Ye…Ye don’t actually believe him, do ye, Eden? Yer Mum would never do that.

Eden let’s out a slight laugh and shakes her head.

Eden: Of course I don’t believe him. But he still said it. And I’ve had to deal with the other kids at school still bringing it up all the time. And then pointing out that his trailer park trash girlfriend with that unfortunate name…her parents must have had a weird sense of humor by the way…She ended up embarrassing the hell out of you.

O’Malley closed his eyes for a brief moment and let out a sigh. Eden then opened up her journal, or notebook or whatever it was, and began drawing random little things on one of the pages. O’Malley then sat down on the ground next to her, but she kept her attention on the paper in her lap.

O’Malley: The only way they embarrassed me, kiddo, is if I let them. But I didn’t and I ain’t about to start. Just ignore what those kids at school say, alright? I’m more than capable of handling things in SCW. Once I shake off a bit of ring rust anyway since I been gone the last year and all.

Another slight laugh from Eden, but no real response. She just disappeared into her own little world and something dawned on O’Malley. He lifted his head and looked around.

O’Malley: Eden…how did ye get here anyway? Ye don’t drive yet. And yer Dad is probably wonderin’ where ye are on Thanksgiving.

Eden shakes her head.

Eden: I walked. And I don’t think he noticed I was gone. Too many people are at the house right now and way too many little kids distracting everyone for my absence to get noticed.

O’Malley: Ye walked? I know it ain’t that far, but it’s far enough.

And that is when another idea hit him.

O’Malley: Say…how would ye like to come over to my house fer dinner? Owen would love to see ye, and ye can meet the girls.

Eden looked up and furrowed her eyebrows a bit.

Eden: Really?

O’Malley: Yeah, of course. Yer Mum might be gone, Eden, but I still care about what happens to ye. It’s a lot quieter at my house, even though the twins are nine months old. Owen has a secret to gettin’ them to behave though. Maybe he’ll tell ye, because he won’t tell us.

They both share a laugh.

Eden: I don’t think my Dad will agree to letting me come over. I expect to get a phone call soon when he finally notices I’m gone, anyway.

O’Malley: Only one way to find out. Let’s take a drive go yer Dad’s and I’ll ask him.

Eden: Oh now that I’d love to see.

O’Malley didn’t even have to suggest it twice. Eden quickly got to her feet, but before she made her way to O’Malley’s car, she turned around and placed her hand on her mother’s gravestone for a few seconds, closing her eyes. Once she was done, she turned back around and the two made their way to the car.

Before he got behind the wheel, a gentle breeze suddenly hit him and he knew…it was Misty. She was thanking him for being there for her daughter when she couldn’t. This was why he was being drawn here in the first place. And despite what Eden might say, he knew that Spike would agree to letting her come over for Thanksgiving dinner. Might not be easy, but in the end he would allow it.

And he sensed that he would need to spend more time with his saddened stepdaughter. He felt there was more troubling her, but he couldn’t push it, whatever it was. He needed to earn her trust again and listen to the signs Misty would surely send him.

He would help Misty’s daughter…because he still had to make up for his past mistakes. And he would be doing a for the rest of his life…

The camera opens up, focused on a long table decorated and set up for Thanksgiving dinner. Not something you’d normally see with an Irish superstar’s video, but stranger things have happened, no? And that very superstar is seated at the head of the table, leaning back in his seat with his arms rested on the arms of the chair.

“I may not be American, and Thanksgiving may have been over a week ago, but I’m gonna take a few moments to express just what I’m thankful for this year. I figure why not, considerin’ I’m now a citizen of the United States and I need to get with the American traditions. And Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to start, don’t ye think?”

He looks around the table at all chairs. Chairs that were empty now, but just over a week ago were filled with his family.

“Just a few years ago, I didn’t have a lot to be thankful for. I had made a bloody mess of me life, and everyone knew it. After Misty died, I did something’ she probably would have divorced and hated me fer when I left our son in the care of her parents, but grief does crazy things to people. And with me, it made me abandon the life I was building here and it almost cost me me life. So I’d say startin’ out by sayin’ I’m thankful to be alive isn’t quite so cliche, because I am. I’m thankful to be alive and healthy.”

He pauses for a moment and closes his eyes. He draws in a deep breath and a few moments later, opens them again, moving on.

“And I’m thankful fer an amazing family. Me loving wife, Darcy, and our three beautiful children. They give me a reason to keep pushin’ forward and to be a better man, because I ain’t about to repeat me past mistakes and set off a whole new freight train of heartbreak. People might not agree with me and Darcy gettin’ married, but it’s our life and it’s no one else’s business.”

His eyes narrow as he stares into the camera. His hands grip the arms of the chair tightly, almost going white knuckled.

“Not even The Troll’s. Now I ain’t gonna sit here fer too long and speak about that putrid pile of steaming dog shite that likes to spread lies only claimin’ it all to be truth, but I hope he realizes that if he says anythin’…anythin’ else about me family, it’s over fer him. He can say whatever he wants to about me, but me family is off limits, and I intend to fight fer them as long as I have breath in me lungs. And if that trashy sad excuse of a woman he calls a girlfriend chooses to get involved again..well, she only has herself to blame for the beatings she’ll receive goin’ forward.”

A strange look appears on O’Malley’s face as he thinks about something. He thinks for a moment and then chuckles before revealing what exactly he found so comical.

“Ye know, as strange as it sounds, I should at least THANK Trolly boy, while I’m at it. As weird and as crazy as it sounds, he’s the reason I came back to SCW in the first place. Well…he was the straw that broke the camel’s back with his chunky arse, because if he hadn’t…I’d probably be still sittin’ at home. So I’m thankful fer the fact that Trolly boy couldn’t keep his yap shut and I had to come back and do it fer him.”

He laughs, knowing full well that The Troll will have something to say in response to that. But he hoped he would. He was waiting for it, honestly. But he couldn’t focus on the Troll anymore. Because that was not his opponent this week. No, someone much more challenging lay ahead for him, and he had to focus on that.

“I’m thankful to be given another opportunity in SCW now. Mark and Christian could have easily denied me a new contract, but I think they remember me potential. They saw it the last couple times I was an active roster member. I didn’t always believe in meself, but I’m a graduate of the GO Gym. They sure believed in me, so I ain’t about to go and let them down a third time. I’m gonna make somethin’ of meself this time, and it all begins with…Alexander Raven. The current Internet Champion.”

O’Malley sighs as he thinks about the Internet Championship…a title he held once before, even if only briefly.

“People might not remember, but I was Internet Champion once before. A year and a half ago, in fact. It was a great feeling having won that title, and I had planned on makin’ a decent run with it. Or I hoped to. But things didn’t quite work out that way, because a fella by the name of Mac Bane went and ended me run before it really even started. That wasn’t a good feelin’ because it was me first defense, and after that…I got discouraged. I could have gotten another chance, but I was so disappointed in meself, I gave up. Not to mention, me head just wasn’t in it last year after losin’ so much.”

Another brief pause, this time reflecting on what could have been. Perhaps what will be in the near future.

“Alexander Raven…I’m not gonna sit here and spew a bunch of lies about what I think I know about ye, fella. I went back and watched what I could, but what I will say is it ain’t about what ye did in the past I find so curious. Oh, no, no, no. It’s about what yer doin’ now that I find quite intriguing. And a bit…idiotic. Tryin’ to get to Fenris? Really?”

He laughs and shakes his head.

“Take it from someone who knows Fenris quite well…I’d re-think callin’ him out, fella. That is unless yer lookin’ to get yer arse handed to ye on a silver platter. Anyone and everyone who has ever called out Fenris has proven to be the dumbest shithead their ever was, because Fenris loves nothing more than knockin’ an idiot’s head off fer good measure. And I’m sure he’d love nothing more than to take that title from ye in the process.”

O’Malley leans forward a bit in his chair, resting his arms on the edge of the table in front of him. He never takes his eyes off the camera.

“Take me advice, Raven. If ye want to keep that title ye got in yer possession fer a bit, I’d drop whatever beef ye got with Fenris and move on. I’d target some other sad sap on the roster and give yerself a decent run, because if not? Well, ye’ll be embarrassed just like I was. Yer reign will mean nothin’, but ultimately the choice is your’s. One thing I will say is this…regardless of what choice ye make, once I shake off a bit of ring rust and make sure that certain grimey Troll is kept in check, that Internet title? Well, I may just try and right the wrong I made last year. No matter who the champion is.”

He shrugs, still undecided about where his future in SCW is headed.

“I’m hoping it’s you, though, Raven. Yer a man that intrigues me. Yer a man that I know will be a challenge not only this week, but even down the line if we met with a title on the line. Now that ain’t sayin’ Fenris wouldn’t be a challenge, because I’m gonna be honest…he’d kick me arse if given the chance. But there’s a darkness about ye, Raven, that I look forward to using to me advantage. Ye say yer an open book, but I call bullshit. Are any of us really an open book, fella?”

He shakes his head and leans back in the chair again.

“I don’t think so. We’ve all got secrets, Raven. We’ve all got demons in our closet that are just screamin’ to be let out. Or beggin’ to be kept hidden away, because if they are shown to the world, we’d come crashin’ down. Take it from someone who knows from experience. But trust me when I say this…if yer dead set on goin’ after Fenris? If Fenris agrees and there is anythin’ left after he is through with you? I’ll gladly finish what he started. It might not be right away, but I have a good feelin’ about this run in SCW fer me.”

He stands up from the chair, and places the palms of his hands on the table as he continues to stare into the camera.

“Ye might get the best of me this Sunday, Raven. Ye might not. One thing is certain, though. And that is that this match? It’ll be a hell of a fight, fella. A fight that I’m lookin’ forward to, because win lose or draw? We’ll both walk away lookin’ good.”

He waves into the camera and grind wickedly.

“See ye Sunday, fella.”

And the scene fades to black.
>
>