Author Topic: Broken Caged Bird  (Read 801 times)

Offline Alexander Raven

• View Profile
Broken Caged Bird
« on: November 17, 2022, 03:51:01 AM »

Broken
Scene One | Off-Camera | 31st October 2022

It’d been a long time since Alex had been beaten up that badly. Not the worst beating, and not the last. But it’d been a while. His nose broken, swollen and far too tender to touch. Both eyes had pretty good shiners. His back ached, his body burned, but he was still champion. Whatever people wanted to say, whatever people thought. Mercer hadn’t managed to get the win, and that went a lot further in his mind than it probably should have.

What he hadn’t expected was Luna to muscle her way into taking him home after the show, and playing nurse. Four A.M. He couldn’t really sleep, it was incredibly difficult to breathe. As someone who had a habit of touching their face, he was finding it incredibly bothersome to not rub his irritated nose. They’d filled his nose with packing and the dressing on the outside, a splint to make sure it healed right.

Luna had fallen asleep herself, her head now resting in his lap as he sat on the couch, his eyes fixated on the black screen of the TV. Silence filled the air, his mind filling with ghosts of his thoughts. Negative thoughts, negative ideas. And then he heard it again. For the first time in nearly a year. The voice of the man who even in death haunted him.

“Boy, you look like you went ten rounds and you lost every damn one of them.”

He had to be asleep, because the man who sat down in the chair to his left, had long left this mortal plane. No smile to remember, gaunt and grim. The staunch German father, far more alive than he remembered him actually being in his final years. His eyes bore a hole into Alex’s soul.

“You’d know. Story of your career.”

Laughter, not warm but hollow and cold, and then the slightest tug at the edge of his lips. A half attempt at a grin, more grimace than anything. His eyes never moving, never blinking. His father raised his hand and placed it over his nose, twisting it slightly in his fingers. The sound of cartilage grinding was as nasty now as it had been in life. Even if it was one of the kinder memories. His dad trying to make him laugh with the gross sounds. The few moments of a genuine caring father. Before the demons took him.

“Might be, just might be. But I always went out on my feet, boy. Always stood tall. Here you are, sulking in the dark. Girl practically throws herself at you, and you sit here in the dark feeling sorry for yourself.”

The hand had fallen to rest on the armrest of the chair, leaning forward. Why wouldn’t he blink? They just kept boring into him. Staring into his depths.

“Even in my dreams, you have nothing but empty taunts. Nothing worthwhile to say, but always attempting to put down others to make yourself bigger. Big man you are, dad.”

Feigned tears, boohooing and the twisting of hands under the eyes. Mocking him. Always mocking.

“I don’t have anything to prove, child. I did my yards. I made my mistakes. I don’t pretend to be better than I am. Unlike some, boy. I call it as I see it. But you said it. I’m just a part of the dream. Your own mind. What does that say about you?”

Alex frowned, and thought about it. Really, dreams shouldn’t be taken as much more than their face value. But maybe there was something more to this one. He went to reach up to pinch the bridge of his nose, but found his arms trapped at his side. Chains locked him into a seat. No longer his own apartment around him, just a wooden chair that he was stuck to. His father now standing over him, his hands come to rest on the arms of the chair.

“Do you think things would be different if you were still alone? If they had all cast your aside when Lauren passed? Blamed you for her death like you blame yourself? Like you blame yourself for everything negative to happen in your life? Do you think you’d be trapped here if they had let you wallow?”

Alex struggled in the chair against the chains, trying to free himself. His father allowed a cold, empty smile to creep across his face as he stood up slowly, beginning to pace back and forth in front of Alex, three steps one way, three steps the other. Slow and steady.

“You have to be tougher, Alex. You’ve got all the members of your Conspiracy at your feet. They might be different in mind, but there is something that hasn’t changed. You, Alex. You haven’t changed. And they are gravitating to the man who fixed them once. They are going to try to fix you, Alex. Do you want to be fixed? Do you think you are needing to be fixed? Or do you want to stay as broken as your nose? What do you want, Alex?”

“I just… I want to be the man I claim to be. The true king. I want to be the man who guides those who are lost. The change. The difference. I want to be… Alexander Raven.”

“You’re full of it, Alex. You’re attached to an idea that has always, and will always, elude you. You are nothing but a broken and fragmented shell of who you once were. Every beating just brings you closer to the grave you so desperately want. Austin James Mercer showed just how weak you truly are. You’ll always need me. You’ll always need James and Luna. You will always need Lauren. Weak, pathetic and useless on your own. You’re nothing but a pack mutt yourself.”

And then. the chains came loose. He burst out of the chair and launched at his father. Yet there was nothing firm, and he launched through him. With that, he jolted awake. Luna groaned slightly as she turned over, gently punching him in the leg.

“Nightmare Alex. Go to sleep.”

He’d rather not. Even in his dreams, his father managed to rouse that deep hatred. The deep anger.

Didn’t help his nose was fucked.

A Caged Bird
Scene Two | On-Camera | 17th November 2022

An empty brass birdcage, sitting upon a wooden table. A spotlighted feature amongst a world of darkness. It stands alone, the flutter of birds taking off filling the space beyond. The croaks and cries of birds following. The echo of steps, a steady pace. Coming from the darkness behind the bird cage.

“At High Stakes, I learnt something very important about the dangerous, aggressive and violent wolf that is Austin James Mercer. That despite the strength, the aggression and the confidence in success. One thing was seen to everyone. That even with all the advantages in the world, King James could not beat Alexander Raven. He couldn’t make him tap. He couldn’t pin him to the mat. He couldn’t even keep him out for the whole ten count. We learnt that despite Austin James Mercer’s claims that he would walk away the new Internet Champion, he couldn’t beat him. We learnt that despite all the bickering, one man spoke the truth and one make lied. Alexander Raven never claimed to be stronger, fiercer or better. He claimed to be equal. He claimed to be smarter. To be far more logical. We learnt that Alexander Raven told the truth, and Austin James Mercer… lied.

“King James, you asked for something different yet you complain that I change my philosophies constantly. You complained that I came at you with the same thing, taking issue with me being constant. The only person who is unable to remain consistent, it seems, is you. It seems that the symbolism presented to you was only half interpreted. You bang on and on about others stupidity, yet are completely unable to understand the most face value comparisons I could have found. Biblical, yes. There is some biblical sense to it. But it’s always been about understanding, respect and acceptance. Everything is about understanding and respect. But it’s about image. It’s about painting comparison and difference. A simple minded man could understand the ideas. Alexander Raven, the One True King. King James. It’s a belittling of person, King James. Who is false, if I am the One Truth?”

“Austin James Mercer is nothing but empty promises, lies and falsehoods. A false king.

Alexander Raven steps into the light, standing directly behind the bird cage. A black sheet in hand, shimmering slightly in the spotlight. His nose was mostly back to normal now, still somewhat swollen. His eyes far less blackened, the end of the bruising still a little visible. Around his waist strapped tightly was the SCW Internet Championship. He smiles slowly draping the sheet over the cage, obscuring it from view. A Cheshire grin stretching across Raven’s face, his eyes wild. His hair and beard somewhat unkempt; reminiscent of bed hair. A long sleeve black shirt buttoned all the way up. Tight fitting black pants, and black boots, black laces on the left, blue on the right.

“At High Stakes, I came to understand something critically important. That when it comes to you and I, despite all the words. The truth is plain to see. Your strength, cannot beat my mind. Your brutality cannot stem my strategy. Your arrogance however, will be your undoing. The announcement of a cage match, you are rubbing your palms together. A caged beast is a dangerous one, but only if it can get out of the cage. A caged bird, whilst trapped will continue to live its life fully. Chirping, singing and living. A caged bird is not dangerous, but is living a life far beyond the dangers of the world. I am not afraid of you Mercer. I’ve seen what you can do, and I have become acutely aware of the truth. I’ve had worse beatings, and beaten far better than you. I’ve had my nose busted before. I’ve had my skull fractured and my brain swell. I’ve had beatings that really should have put me out permanently. I learnt that you aren’t that beast, Mercer. Given the right tools, sure. You could be. But you aren’t currently, and you won’t be. Fixated upon the necessity of anger. The taunted bull sees not the dagger that slits its throat. Blinded by anger, frustration and aggression. A powerful motivator, but one that lacks the steam and endurance needed.”

“I hope our encounter has made you aware of something King James. That your desire to hurt, to maim and to silence. The desire to end me, is what cost you the match. That in attempting to put me out, you ensured that neither of us would get our arm raised. I need not beat you, if you beat yourself. And so, we come to our next encounter. A Steel Cage match. And everyone is rubbing their palms together, waiting to see Alexander Raven get put down and out. To validate the colour-blind prick that is Finn Whelan. The man who claims no need for the Wolves at his back, just like I said he would. Awareness and vision of a world without the baggage that comes with the incestuous inner circle of manipulation and control that permeates not just this Sin City, but the business as a whole. Everywhere we look there is manipulations, alterations and control to ensure the chosen few succeed, whilst the truly worthy and tossed aside. Alexander Raven is nothing special, but Austin James Mercer couldn’t beat him. So they put us in a cage.”

Alex slowly moves his hands away from the cage and takes a few steps backwards, disappearing into the darkness beyond the spotlight once again. Two hooded figures, one tall and one short step in from either side. They grip the black sheet on either side, staring at each other.

“What happens when you put a bird in the same cage as a wolf? Dead bird, of course. I’m not going to pretend otherwise. The bird will be mauled, killed and eaten. Logic is as it is, logical. But something must be said for this situation and its something I am now acutely aware of Mercer. You’re no wolf. You’re no beast. You’re nothing but a attitude filled Pomeranian. All bark and no bite. I’m still champion, I’m still standing. I will walk into Climax Control champion, enter the steel cage, let you destroy yourself, and win. I will walk out as I walked in. Champion and the One True King. I will shut up the naysayers. I will silence the mongrels who continue to snap their jowls with no teeth in their bite. Finn Whelan, the plucky mutt Miles and even the blind bitch Fenris. People so confident in their arrogance that they ignore the reality that is forever being painted in front of them. One year, two championships and a change in fate. I beat Lachlan, when no one thought I would. I took the powerful and scary, Austin James Mercer to a double count out, and weathered the storm. I have the backing of our former SCW Worlds Champion, and the man I can confidently say will be our Worlds Champion again.”

“Let us bring it back to the reality that lays before us. Austin James Mercer and Alexander Raven in a Steel Cage match for the SCW Internet Championship. A championship, a title, a crown that means so much to our hurting mutt. The man running off at the mouth, despite losing to the man I beat back to back to obtain and then defend my first championship of my maiden year. The man running off at the mouth despite being unable to act upon any of his promises. The man who is so certain of his big scary aura, he cannot see past his own ego. This is not a cage for me, False King. A bird who will soar. No, this is a cage for you. A beast with eyes painted red. What happens when you go for that spear again, and your head cracks against the steel again? We know you’ve got a chin of glass, because you went down just as long as I did. The man with the broken nose, busted face and half the oxygen, held you out. What happens this time when you go for the spear, and you miss, False King? You lose. I put my foot to your throat, and pin you for the three. I put my foot to your throat, and show you the truth. That the stained glass sky is shattered, and the reality of a changed world stares down at you. A world where the wolves are no longer the apex. A world where you cannot throw your weight and name around. A world where Alexander Raven is known across the industry as the one who beat Austin James Mercer. I speak a lot of fractured thoughts, disjointed thinking and reality. This is the truth as it is being painted into the world. Alexander Raven is the man who is going to systematically neuter every fucking one of you mouthy mongrels, and show the world the simple truth. You’re all nothing but bitches in heat.”

The two figures pull the sheet forward and slide it off the front of the cage, allowing it to crumple up in front of it. Inside the cage, a Raven now sits croaking. It ruffles its feathers slightly and flexes its wings as much as it can. The shorter figure reaches forward and pulls the door of the cage open. The other placing a piece of meat on the table. The bird creeps forward and picks it up, before flying off rapidly. The light disappearing. The flap of wings echoes in the darkness. More cries and croaks from unseen birds. The sound bouncing off the others, slowly building. Soon a cacophony of screeching, flapping and cries filling the darkness.

“Silence!

And then, silence. The click of light and the spotlight back on. Alexander Raven now standing inside a shark cage. His fingers wrapped around one of the bars. His face pressed up into the bars as well, creating slots across his face and wild smile.

“Listen to me, False King. Listen well. I am Alexander Raven. I am the One True King of this Sin City. No matter how strong. No matter how fierce. No matter what you do, this is the reality. I refuse to lose to another one of you filthy fucking wolves. I will never allow myself to fail again, like I did with Miles. I will beat you, I’ll beat Lachlan and Finn again if I need to. If the blind bitch wants to try his luck for a second time, I’ll beat him too. Any and every person that wants to try their damn luck against Alexander Raven, I welcome them to try. I’ll turn up every single week and put people down if I need to. Listen to me Austin, and understand this. I am angry, I am frustrated and I am full of rage too. Stepping into the cage, I once again have everything to prove. Nobody believes Alexander Raven can do it. Alexander Raven talks, and people mock. Alexander Raven succeeds and they put an asterisk. Alexander Raven beats Finn Whelan twice, the colour-blind prick has the audacity to run his mouth about me, every opportunity he gets. Fenris feels the need to shove his nose into everything to do with me, and complain when I snap back. Mercer is so deluded that he thinks it is at all intimidating stepping into a steel cage with his wet paper offense. Step up! Step up, King James. Listen to what I’m saying for once, and maybe you’ll understand. Maybe you’ll understand the worlds of difference between you and I. You’re unhinged, wild and without ambition. Wanting to loose the anger and soothe the fire. I don’t want to soothe the anger. I don’t want to soothe the fire. I want to fight. I want to keep fighting. I will fight every one of you. I respect Ken, but I’ll fight him if I need to. Mac Bane, I saw him stick his nose in too. If he wants to fight, I’ll fight. Understand this, King James. Understand this very well.”

“I am Alexander Raven. I am the change in the foundation, and the shatterer of stained glass lies. I am the Broken Messiah and the Prophet of Fallacies. I will climb into the cage with ‘beast’[/b] and I will climb out, bloodied, bruised and victorious. I fear no man, for no man is greater than I. So understand, and understand well. I will be the thorn in everyone’s side so long as I need to be. And when every single person has been shut up, when every single naysayer has been silenced. When every single person who mocks and belittles has been shown the truth. I’ll ask them three simple questions.”

Alex smacks his forehead against the bars. A red mark showing almost instantly. And then again, and again, and again. The skin splitting and a small amount of blood beginning to flow from the wound.

“Are you listening to me? Are you following me?”

One last crack, and then the light goes out. The cries and screech of birds filling the air once more, the flutter of wings flying into the distance.

“Do you understand me yet?

And then…

Darkness.

Silence.

Nothing.