Author Topic: MASQUE (c) v DIAMOND STEELE - WORLD TITLE  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Christian Underwood

• TAFKATPF aka The Artist Formerly Known As The Pink Flamingo
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Christian Underwood
MASQUE (c) v DIAMOND STEELE - WORLD TITLE
« on: October 17, 2022, 07:27:15 AM »
Post your roleplays here by deadline. Good luck and have fun!

“To err is human - but it feels divine.”
? Mae West

Offline Terrorfexx

• View Profile
Re: MASQUE (c) v DIAMOND STEELE - WORLD TITLE
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 06:15:55 PM »
Symphony of the Iron Underbelly, Movement No. XXI – Lady with the Lamp

[The Past – Forward Field Hospital, Southeast Nagorno-Karabakh, Central Caucasus]

The glow trades gentle places with the darkness – subtly exchanging the barest of detail, some hint of what’s ahead – in exchange for the substantiveness remaining secret. Faded lime tiles, once brilliant seacrest green, reveal their intermodal pattern painstakingly arranged by hand along the corridor floor over a hundred years ago. Deep gouges puncture their ceramic faces and ugly cracks thread hairline failure, but they still give the eyes something artisanal to watch as the feet follow.

Thick bundles of electrical cables hastily tied together run where the floor meets wall spaces; their multicoloured, rubberised casing fading to monochrome as the light in my hand leaves them behind. The bubble of light around me is diffuse, and it ebbs and wanes as doorways out to either side swallow more of it to light their ruined interiors. Still, the lamp in my hand lights the way and I follow it.

There is a misconception, made more real by errant war films and dramatisations, that field hospitals are alive to the groan and the moan of the agonised, the sick. The dying. That their pain reverberates around whatever blown-out shell is repurposed to house them in the name of expediency: some sickened choir singing low and weeping.

In reality, it is a place of utter silence. Powerful cocktails of tranquilisers and painkillers reduce the broken bodies in their cots to mewling and burbling. Depressing their breathing until each intake of breath is shallow and slight, the diaphragm hardly so much as trembling with the barest jerk. An all-consuming unconsciousness that almost robs the most automatic functions of life of their motivation to work at all.

The largest ward spreads out in front of me. I believe it used to be a ballroom of some sort, for long-term patients, carers and families to forget their anguishes and traumas when this building still functioned as a sanatorium half a century ago. There are remnants of its old life still clinging on in the shattered stumps of crystal-lined chandeliers above, or the last splinters of varnished oak panelling still anchored to the punched-plaster walls like spindly, creeping vines. A veined-marble floor that had presumably hosted a hundred waltzes and doodlebugs was all but hidden under a hundred plus narrow beds.

It is strange how even robbed of all its vitality, its sensation … How the consciousness that makes a person themselves still lingers, even when all but the most animalistic portions of the brain are suppressed and deactivated. It is both a curiosity of anaesthesiology and the Human Spirit that even under the intense medicating, the most slurred senses can still stir.

He senses me before I am within touching distance, but I am not sure how. It cannot be the light I am carrying – the wounds which saw him carried in here make sure he will never see another thing again. It cannot be the mere proximity of another person: the day staff minister to all the wounded several times a day, and he is surrounded by other casualties who can still communicate, to some extent …

… And yet it is always when I move through this space, in the early hours on a cold, frost-speckled morning. Expectantly, his left hand – still coated in the pulverised grey dust of atomised mortar from the brick wall that exploded and took his sight – trembles and then it tips over to lie palm up. His fingers splay wide open.

I pause over the bedspace, lowering myself down to kneel on the cool marble and setting my lamp down where it chases away the shadows underneath. That is what some of the other staff have taken to calling me. The Lady with the Lamp. Derogatory and sneered by some, said with hope and uplift in their hearts by others. A few prefer the aloofness of Doctor DeLune and regardless of what they think of me, that is the only name ever spoken to my face.

His fingers twitch again and he takes a long, rasping breath. Something wet gurgles at the base of his throat. Reaching into the folds of my coat I pull free a nondescript brown plastic bottle, twist the cap free and empty a half-dozen capsules into his trembling palm. He shifts subtly, in some sort of discomfort, until I gently close his fingers around the pills and he stops moving.

He will be dead by the time the sun comes up. So will a dozen others.

Retrieving my lamp, I climb back up to my feet and continue through the rows of beds. It is an unavoidable burden in a necessary evil. There are not enough resources for them all. Ultimately, those that cannot get back to their feet and get back into the fight are of no use. Not out here, where might is decided by how many rounds are still in your chamber, and how many bodies you still possess to soak up those wielded by your opponent. This is an internecine, brutal civil war. Brother against brother. Friend murdering friend over some ethnic or religious divergence.

I do not really care why they do it. Only that it produces those who are in need of medical expertise, and that is my requisite. My purpose and skill. And a necessary component of that is the ability to triage, to determine need and severity and prioritise accordingly.

To prioritise, to triage, one must judge. And so by day Doctor Abigayle DeLune treats and ministers and heals and by night, the Lady with the Lamp judges and makes the former’s task that much more achievable by sun-up.

An unavoidable burden in a necessary evil.

There are so many who should never have come to fight here. Idealistic young men and women drawn into an idea only to discover the horrifying, practical reality. Who died clutching ragged stumps and begging for their mothers. Others who have survived, but only at the cost of growing into something dark and terrible; a million miles from the righteousness they set out to instil in the wider world.

All too often, the world they sought out to change instead changed them. Poisoned them. Corrupted. Others, of course, are jackals. Drawn by murder and suffering to revel in it far from oversight or consequence. Unfortunately, they are the ones who rarely find themselves at the receiving end of my judgement.

They are generally too good at what they do to require a bed under my care.

With a jerk of my wrist I unlock the side door and push it open far enough to admit a single whip of plunging-cold wind. Crystals of ice spin and whirl on the updraft, until the warmth of the ward melts them out of sight. Outside through the mud-smeared, cracked glass snow falls in thick, ragged plumes from a storm-tossed sky. The old man sitting up in the bed next to me grunts, hand pressed against a stained bandage stretched across his chest and weeping a watery pink fluid. His milky eyes meet mine and he tries to speak, but all of the air he can muster in his crushed lungs only allow for wheezing and groaning.

Still, he looks at where my hand rests on the tarnished brass handle of the door and manages to nod. He understands what to do next. He should never have come here – caught up in the dreams of his past while what little was left of the future wheezed its last few inflamed gasps. Another mistake …

But so many who come to fight in places like this make mistakes like that. He is only relatively unfortunate in being made to pay for it by taking matters into his own hands.

They will come for this place in a few days, as the line pushes back. There will be some token effort to evacuate; to move the sick and the lame but in reality every vehicle capable of moving a warm body is better spent moving their equivalent weight in warm clothing, or ammunition, or food stores. Those that cannot walk out will die on their backs, because the enemy is no more willing to shoulder them as a burden than we were.

Perhaps in more refined times, in more understanding places, a place like a field hospital would be respected. Even spared the worst excesses of fighting, but this is not peer-on-peer. This is not honourable, or measured. Or regulated.

This is Brother versus Brother. War to the knife and the hilt. They will all kill each other, and I have no desire to be there when they do, or waste resources on those that will soon be joining them.

The distinctive thump of artillery makes those broken clumps of chandelier on the ceiling swing lazily, and a half dozen bodies jerk as something instinctual fights through their medically-induced comas to make them flinch.

It is strange how even robbed of all its vitality, its sensation … How the consciousness that makes a person themselves still lingers.

[The Rapture]

I have come upon a revelation, and it has been carried forth on a litany of all those who have tried and failed to put an end to me. A tapestry has been woven of the women – and men – that set out to interfere in my grand design, because every single one of them operated the same curiously group-borne delusion that they alone held some novel insight into what lay underneath my ceramic skin. For my part, I was too focused on destroying what had come before to see the lessons that were painstakingly threaded and weaved together: a new reality coalescing around the dreamscape I had put down without mercy.

Oh, I have spent so long dispersing hurricanes and vanquishing superheroes, that I had not stopped to ask myself a fundamental question. What now?

Amber Ryan is gone. Broken. Crippled. Perhaps she will eventually feel the need to hurt someone professionally again, and given her dubious connections in sin and sinful cities, I have no doubt the requisite medical fitness records or powerful drugs required to make pretending they are legitimate believable will appear without too much effort … But her legend is culled. Fire extinguished. It is over.

Even her so-called protégé, a young girl marked by a Black Thorn, has been silenced by the plastic stranglehold of painted thorns pressed between gnashing, bleeding lips. There will be no renaissance. It is over. Still, she was strong and by the terms of our agreement, she may yet be useful in what is to come. Her part in this, at least, is not yet through.

The husband of Miss Ryan, Mister Bane, is no longer World Champion and his usurper carries in him the capacity to remember a song I sing with such carefree enthusiasm. Mister Davison thinks he has moved on from the darkness which saw him put his hands on Mac’s wife, but after taking a personal interest in educating the new Champion on my own personal methodologies for crippling, there is still potential to sing it together. A duet would be wonderful.

At last, the Bane-Ryan hegemony is broken and its power distilled.

My Heroine, Miss Johnson, has personal matters to attend to – namely retiring her wife permanently, before she can cause through word of mouth and lack of deed even more agony for their family. Others have tried in that time, such as Miss Vargas, and they have acquitted themselves well enough in the miseries and choice suffering gifted between, but despite the unified desires of the wider company, that same curious group delusion, the Bombshells’ World Championship is still mine.

The heart of this company is still mine. Her heart is still mine.

What now?

The answer has been written in all of my most beautiful deeds, but it has taken until now and a refreshing moments’ pause to glance back and see what it has been waiting to tell me. It is no longer sufficient to simply smash those who crave glory against the rocks of the edifice I have built. It is no longer sufficient to use their own desire and hunger as a convenient mechanism to deliver them within reach of my most wonderful and painful lessons.

No. It is time to go to them. To wander into their ignominy – dark and cold – and bring forth light to see and fight by. The gold faceplate girt by dried red held above my head on sweat-stained, leather backing is my lamp and it will let them know that I am here.

A Bombshell with an Opportunity. A Lady with a Lamp.

And so there is no need to find a lure, a reason to attract my attention. The skills of a Siren are wasted when the target comes of their own accord, and in just over a week I will meet one in the form of Miss Steele. An extrovert by nickname and apparent nature; a broadcaster of noise and effect and a shining light for attracting attention. But it is a curious mix of circumstance that makes you the latest to attempt to pry this title from my cold, plastic fingers.

I think you are here because they have run out of any other names to suffer in your stead. After all, how odd to think that following such an absence and brief competitive return, you have earned the opportunity to become the World Champion so simply. What great competitors did you lay low to earn that right? Perhaps, more likely, you have simply earned the company hierarchy a little more time to consider their options as they desperately struggle to arrange something of heft and weight to act as a bulwark against me.

You must have seen what I have done to all the others, Kath-Lyn? Such a beautiful name. All those blue-haired, bright-eyed, enthusiastic newcomers and battle-hardened, elite veterans. Regardless of their motivations or achievements every single one of them has uniformly failed. Even where they have struck out some singular success – epitomised by Mercedes’ dogged resistance or Roxi’s victory – they were ultimately token examples of meaningless resistance. It was always inevitable.

Compared to such lofty names and vast merchandise-movers, what precisely do you bring that they did not? Is it another tired and two-dimensional assessment of who I am and why I do the things that I do? Will you wax ineffectual lyrical about why I hide my face, or what happened to my hand, or make agonisingly ham-fisted allegories relating to Halloween?

My greatest works are complete, and now I am tired of the chittering, mewling voices that chirp and warble at my feet for attention and succour. For a while I was content to leave them scrambling in ignorance, to step down on their weakling, pulsating forms when one occasionally coalesced into something sufficient to stand and be struck down. But now, I am tired.

I am weary of talking – specifically, the words of those who cannot deny what their eyes tell them but choose to do so anyway. That watch challenger after challenger wilt and buckle to their knees before my Rapture, and still profess it will end all too soon. I am so very tired of talking and so now, it is time to go to them and judge them. Find them wanting.

Let me see the shape of their fear by the light of the Championship – my Lamp – they covet so desperately. I want to see their face contort in the realisation that it was all some terrible, awful mistake. To realise in that singular moment that they should never have come here and should never have crossed me.

[The Past – Forward Field Hospital, Southeast Nagorno-Karabakh, Central Caucasus]

The first blow drew a red streak across the insulation blanket behind; the second broke something in her jaw. She dropped to the plating and a fist crashed into the bloodstain above, punching clean through and into the machine spaces. Lashing out with a snarl half-strangled by the mouthful of iron, the flat of her boot met a planted shin and won. His leg buckled and with a forearm still buried in the wall, his body stretched out supine and helpless. Abigayle tilted her aching head up and drove a fist hard into the wide eyes staring back down.

The insulation blanket crumbled, and he slumped down on top of her, unconscious. 

Abigayle spat clear her mouth. “Remove him.” 

With the weight lifted, she rolled onto her front and used the jagged hole in the wall to pull herself up to her knees, fingers cradling the swelling side of her face. The crowd looking down from above bounced their dislike against the metalwork, banging and shaking and raging against the barriers all around. She grabbed a handful of the shirt of the Medical Orderly pressed into service as a Referee – and the skin underneath – as he stooped to check on her opponent, pulling him in with a sharp tug.

“Being unconscious is as blissful as it is going to get for him. Do not be in such a rush to ruin that hard-earned rest.” Something hot and painful worked against her jaw with every word, trying to force it shut. “I think it is time to meet my fanbase.”

Her grip only got tighter and he nodded frantically, groping against the floor as best he could with one shoulder pinned back. She ripped it from his grasp as soon as it got close enough to snatch, sending him down the short distance to the floor with a hard shove. Her slick fingers left damp trails across tarnished metal as she ran her hands across the prize, bringing it close enough to breathe deep the stink of sweat ingrained into the cracked leather. 

Her prize. 

Struggling up to stand on burning, heavy legs, she held her free hand out to the side and beckoned with a finger back behind. 

Picking himself up from the floor with a grimace, the Referee took his cue and Abigayle thrust the old tinpot Championship title up opposite with her raised arm, letting the heavy faceplate flop over and clatter against her wrist. Individual insults about her parentage and the way she looked dissolved into a thoroughbred, powerful roar of disapproval. Her head swam. Dozens of bodies pressed against the barriers forming a circle of seething anger all around and above her head – but they were toothless. Tough on talk and weak where it counted, down here amongst broken jaws and the concussed unconscious. Their toughest man was gargling softly at Abigayle’s feet, pooling red spittle around her toecap.

She flung her head backwards and swept a tangled mess of platinum blonde hair out from her eyes. Then she gave them a look as arrogant as her swollen face would allow, drinking in the hot air and intensifying outrage. Some of them had bet heavy and lost hard tonight; others just craved the sight of her lying face down, warming the rest of the field hospital through conduction between her face and the superstructure. Those with the least about them – and the loudest voices – were probably a little of both. That just made it all the more satisfying. She won, they lost. Twice.

The baying crowd shrank back at the clang of her boot against the first rung of the ladder that led up from the old vehicle inspection pits. Above her head, distorted barriers relaxed into their housings as she climbed and the insults got less explicit and less directed now there might be the chance someone would have to pay for them. 

Abigayle was in no rush on the ascent, giving her heart and face a little while longer to recover from the adrenaline high and battering blows. By the time she hauled herself up over the lip, a wide path had split the crowd in two, reduced to murmurs and harsh whispering. She squeezed the thick leather between her fingers and let the metal plates bolted on skip and ring against the floorplates where they trailed. 

She forced the deadbolt back into its housing. It could only be opened from the inside, the second change she had made when it became obvious just how popular her time at the top of this impromptu fight club of sorts was turning out. The mesh door was bowed in at either side, squeezed like a fattened hourglass. Bent by years of thrusting hands trying to push their way far through enough to actuate the lock, get inside and even the odds in favour of the stupid bet they’d bet. 

The mesh gate swung open with the tip of her boot, spattered cherry red. It swung outward – the first change she had made. The distance down to the fighting floor below was just far enough that she didn’t relish the idea of being killed through strategic use of a door by someone just brave enough to charge her with a steel barrier in-between or surviving the fall but at the cost of having her chin potentially become an internal organ. 

The clatter of the Referee – or the man she’d taken ten years’ life expectancy from – starting their climb reverberated all around against the grimy machine spaces. Abigayle forced the gate shut with the flat of her foot and stepped forward. Some radiated their hate out, staring holes through her they could only wish to cut for real. Others didn’t have the strength of will or feel much like taking the risk of making eye contact. A few cupped their hands around snarling mouths, dispensing their expertise about why her sixty third successful consecutive so-called “title” defence was actually firm evidence of her impending defeat.

Just like twenty-seven. Or forty-nine. Or fifty six.

She pulled the leather through her grip until the big circular plate hung prominent and parallel to her bruised face. Most of the words on it, like the stylised engraving of two men boxing, were meaningless. It hadn’t been used to represent boxing competition in a long time. It was just some convenient physical avatar to identify who was hot to bet on or against, depending on how long they’d managed to keep the trinket their own.

Such were the paucity of distractions available in a warzone. 

One word meticulously scribed into the metal was still a reminder. All about the power and the attention. Stealing their attention, reminding them that she was all-powerful, and they were utterly powerless. Emblazoned on what had once been burnished gold, scratched and pockmarked by dents and bulges; deep shadows cast across its face by dirt ingrained into the etched shapes and lines.

Champion. That still meant something. It was the only real agreement that stood wordlessly between Abigayle and the crowd of colleagues, patients and anyone else fit enough to drag themselves across the frozen compound and into the mechanical repair shops where people who should know much better hurt each other for bartership, money and fun. They were all in violent agreement about what it stood for and what it meant, if less united on who held it with a matching sneer. 

The pain in her jaw fought and lost with the release flooding through her waking mind. Trembling legs firmed up. She raised her free hand in the air, nostrils flaring at the waft of engine lubricant and sweat. Hers, theirs – it didn’t matter. She could see flecks of old paint spinning and twisting in the light of the overhead strips. The spectators quietened enough for the sounds of a worn-out generator to permeate through; screeches and groans generated by pressure differentials; tuneless melodies belted out through variations in the high-voltage power gear.

Abigayle dropped the dented title belt onto the floor with a clatter and kicked it out into the gap that split the crowd, adding a few more scratches. “Any other challengers?”   

A fat head on broad shoulders pushed out from the throng, knuckles tight. He bulged in some of the right places and most of the wrong; a physique turned to fat through too much sunlight, protein, steroids or not enough. She couldn’t pluck a name to match the face, mostly hidden by swollen jowls. Not that it mattered. He opened his fat mouth to say something she did not want to hear.

Her fist slammed into his cheek, swallowed up for a fraction of a second by the thick blanket of padding skin. It kept going until crushed muscle came up against bone, making his head snap back and those balled fists relax. 

Glassy eyes stared off into the snow somewhere outside the workshops as his chin dropped back down, a trickle of blood slipping out from between slack lips. Accepting they wouldn’t see a final twist to their liking, arms reached out from the crowd and hooked themselves around her stalled challenger. He sank into their grasp, dead weight. 

Abigayle stepped forwards, arm cradling her gut to stifle an ache as she retrieved her meaningless belt. Sixty-four.

[The Rapture]

I can see, Miss Steele, that you pin great importance on dynasty; on tradition and longstanding security. Perhaps it is ingrained into your being given where you have come from, on the distant shores of the United Kingdom, but even so institutionalised there is no legacy that can last for all time. Everything eventually succumbs to disorder and entropy. As your middle-name namesake, Elizabeth, has proven, seventy years after the fact.

You have left behind the death of one monarch only to return to SCW and see the coronation of a new one. As this reign gets underway, I am moved to grant you something of a privilege that I seldom extend to those who wish to do me or my grand design harm. I am willing to help you, Kath-Lyn.

It is obvious that you are not ready to leave the purple velvet-lined, gold-gilt past behind. Memories of the Old Country and everything it stood for. Your Nan … All relics of a past that are hopelessly out of touch and out of sight. None of those things can help you, and the sooner you disabuse yourself of the idea they can, the better placed you will be to grow.

I will help you grow. To do so, there must be a catalyst. Something which can expedite your transformation and there is no better agent of change than pain. It forces action, prevents the status-quo from becoming all-consuming. One cannot truly stagnate if they hurt, and through that purity of purpose, I will ensure that you leave Las Vegas with something of value even if it not what you think you want.

You wanted something special to mark High Stakes – something memorable to act as vigil for the loss of someone so instrumental in your life, even though they cannot possibly have ever known you, or even had any reason to care to. I will do as you ask, and I will make you that memorial you so crave. In Las Vegas, I will transform you into a shining effigy of the bygone era you crave so badly, that you earn to see immortalised. You will be fashioned into something that will stand as a testament to the end of what has come before, and a marker of what follows.

I have been looking for someone to help me usher in such a new era. Someone so utterly divorced from reality that they believe anything except annihilation awaits them in the City of Sin, one week from tomorrow. Look at this tapestry, at the names woven into its threads and fibres, and see the shape of the doom that waits. You are not the first or the last, but you are different. Your sacrifice does not further my plans, or bring me some sick personal satisfaction. Instead it gives you the judgement you have been seeking – external validation that has been achingly absent.

Why else would you have subjected us to the self-flagellation seen at Violent Conduct? While you were talking, as you are prone to do given any opportunity, I put a superhero down and took the heart of this division as my own. Since then, they have come and failed and come again and in that time I have only become more practised and more effective in the subtle art of ending dreams. Legacies. Dynasties.

You ache for some third party to validate you. Whether it is drinking with the boss backstage over your mutual love of an irrelevant constitutional monarchy, or dispensing your so-called wisdom between ringropes to those with more poise and grace than you can bring yourself to admit you lack … There is a consistent, burning need to be recognised.

But recognition alone will not bring you glory. It will only bring you heartache. Oh, Kath-Lyn, you have spent so very long shouting for recognition that you have not stopped to think about the consequences of being granted that fervent wish. The light of attention rarely comes soft and diffuse, and at High Stakes it will blind you utterly.

You measure yourself against the pitiful women you overcame to earn your destruction at my thorn-painted hand: Marlowe, Lukas and Krystal. They are nothing. No datum to measure worthiness against, and certainly no exemplar to underline your so-called credentials. It is only more evidence that for your mutual love of Her Majesty, Mister Ward has little reserved exclusively for you.

What else explains the exceptionally low bar for entry into my domain? You are not the first loudhailer to be expedited into conflict with me by those who seek  timely resolutions to irritating, recurring problems. More than one plucky, rinse-haired challenger has demanded opportunity and come face-to-pseudo-face with a reality they cannot handle.

I hope you are ready for the consequence that comes with the opportunity you so desperately crave.

And in the end, it cannot possibly be worth it. After all, how many times have you had the chance to establish your own legacy? To produce something of value that could truly stand apart and alone? Be remembered? Your fourth Bombshells’ World Championship opportunity ends the same way as the first three … In failure. In inadequacy. In shame, but offers a new beginning. One in which you will finally be freed of the delusions and illusions that have conspired to make you think you should be somewhere you are simply not good enough to be. Is that not refreshing? To be liberated from ideas that are wholly unrepresentative of your station?

Welcome to the Rapture. God Save The Queen, because he cannot save you.

[The Present -Lorenzi Park, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA]

I do not need four years of college education, seven years of medical school and five further in clinical practice to assess that she is struggling to contain her emotional response. That in turn suggests a similar struggle to contain the accompanying physical one.

“How much fucking longer is this going to take?”

For all her faults, Miss Blackthorn has a wonderful purity of point that makes her significantly less tiresome to deal with than her now-retired mentor. Perhaps the latter developed her long, drawn-out desire to occupy every conceivable advantage in anything – conversation or fist fight – through the same mistakes and errors of judgement that make Avalon much less willing to resist her first impulse response long enough to let it inform her second.

They are not the same, of course. Given the way their original partnership ended, it is apparent even Amber knew a lost cause when she suffered through one.

Still, it makes for more interesting conversation. I tip my masked face over from across the pathway. “This is not a lesson.”

She blinks, arms still folded loosely over her chest but eyes narrowed. Back straightened from the slouch against the lamppost. “Why are we even here then? Isn’t this where you drop some fourth-dimensional, galaxy-brain-sized mindfuck that has me questioning my own sanity?”

Slipping my foot free from a sandal, I let the damp grass twist between my toes. The exposed skin around the short sleeves of my dress prickles as the temperature drops and a breeze picks up. I think it might rain.

“I am not playing games, Miss Blackthorn,” I offer. She scoffs.

“You’re always playing games. Maybe just not sure if you ever finish the same one you start.”

I laugh, sing-song and she flinches at the lilt of it, levering herself forward. “It’s taking everything I’ve got not to–”

“You are here because you could not deliver what you talked about doing,” I interrupt. The plastic fingers of my prosthetic whirl as the wrist rotates in a biologically impossible three hundred and sixty degrees of motion. “If you had not interfered, none of this would have come to pass.”

Avalon snarls, turning away with disgust writ large all across her youthful features. “Expect me to believe that? After what you pulled on Climax Control a few weeks ago? With that kiss …”

“Do you truly believe I could have engineered that?” I ask, allowing open incredulity to seep into my voice in torrents. “All of those things were because you were determined to make the same mistakes she did, but make them yours. And you did. Although she should be thanking you.”

“Why’s that?” Avalon mutters, chewing on the inside of her lip as she counts the blades of grass at the feet of her converses.

“Because if you had not insisted on facing me regardless of the price Amber paid to prevent it, then it would have given her some comfort in rationalisation and justification. As it was, you did what you wanted to do, not what you should do, and made it superfluous.”

Brushing a lock of hair back behind her ear, the young woman fixed me with a stare fuelled with the disdain of someone ten years more senior in bitterness and anger. “You’re a real cunt. I hope Katie Steele takes it all from you.”

Standing, slipping my other foot free and making the short distance barefoot, I cross to Avalon just as she pushes forward to meet me as far forward as she can manage. Not a hint of doubt stares back at me. “I have one question, and then you may go.”

Another scoff, “How generous of you, Ma’am.”

I stand in silence, head cocked to the side until eventually, she relents. “Yeah?”

“Do you think she will?”

A frown. “Do I think who’ll what?”

“Do you think Miss Steele will?”

Another few seconds of nothing, and the wind picks up to rustle the branches overhead. Copper and oxide-coloured leaves twirl and flutter as they rain down.

“No,” She replies after a long while. “Think she’ll go down like all the rest.”

“Why?”

Avalon chews on her lip for a moment, eyes still locked on mine. “Because they never take you seriously until you’ve got that Fisher-Price Chokemaster 5000 rammed down their soft palette, making them eat their own words. Literally.”

She swallows, and I think she is remembering how it feels, but shows no other outward sign. It is obvious she does not regret her actions, only that they did not lead to the desired conclusion. I suspect significant satisfaction was still gleaned from repeatedly introducing my body to a variety of steel-reinforced objects, however.

“Thank you,” and I nod. She doesn’t bother with a parting insult. Simply turning on her heels and making her way back up the winding path. She does not like these meetings, because she cannot piece together my angle. My strategy. After all, why would I have made such a stipulation, to make her my protégé in our match weeks before, if there was not some intricate plot carefully laid out to ensnare and redirect her?

Miss Blackthorn will never find that angle, because it does not exist. There is no plan. I am simply taking a page out of her mentor’s dog-eared, bloodstained playbook. I am living in the moment.

I call out after her. “Next week, I want you to tell me something.”

She stops, but does not look back.

“I want to know why you went to prison.”

Her shoulders square, fingers curling tight to make fists. For a few moments, I think she might simply turn around and tell me something distinctly different with her hands. Instead, she draws in a deep breath and holds it to burn through the gas exchange process inside her lungs. Eventually, her body relaxes.

And then she continues on. What a curious young lady. If only there had been more time, I might have been able to …

Perhaps there is still time. Perhaps I will make the time.

D̶o n̶ot b̶e fri̶ght̴e̵n̵ed. M̷i̵n̵e i̵s t̴he̵ la̴st vo̷i̵c̶e yo̴u w̶ill eve̴r h̸ear.

Offline Crystal Zdunich

• View Profile
    • Crystal Millar
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 11:58:39 PM »
September 18th
Gold Coast Casino

It had been a few weeks since Queen Elizabeth had passed away. SCW was not only back home but it had just finished its Climax Control at its home location. After the dust had settled and the smoke was clear SCW’s homecoming was a huge success for Diamond Steele. She had outlasted three other women and now stood as the number one contender for the World Bombshell Championship. In a little over a month the petite woman’s dream would finally come to past. Not only would she get to challenge for the World Bombshell Championship but she would get to main event the biggest Super Card of the year. She in complete awe, a smile was on her face as she had changed into her street clothes. She had exited the locker room and waiting for her was her 11 year old daughter Juliet. The brunette ran over to Diamond and hugged her as tightly as possible.

“Mommy you did it…” Just the thought of hearing those words brought tears to Kate’s eyes. Kate stood there as she could only hold her daughter tightly. The British woman didn’t say a word as the brunette kept talking to her.

“I can’t believe it… You actually won… You are going to High Stakes! You are going to wrestle for the World Bombshell Championship. This is everything you ever wanted and now it’s all yours. Can you just please make me one promise mommy…”

Kate opens her eyes up in amazement as all of this was hard to believe but she wasn’t going to let her daughter down. She looks down into her beautiful innocent eyes as she replies back to her.

“What is it pumpkin, what is the promise you want me to make?!”

Juliet was as innocent as can be. She takes a long deep breath as she holds her mother tighter than before.

“Promise me you won’t ever use a chair again like you did tonight to win a match. I want people to appreciate what you can do on your own. I don’t want people to think you are a cheater. I know you have the power to win. I know you can do things on your own. Just show everybody what you can really do…”

Kate smiles warmly.

“Don’t worry, I will promise to do just that. I don’t want people to think I have to cheat or do things out of the norm in order to become relevant. I want to be valued by what I do by my own merit. I want people to respect me and you do have a point pumpkin. I know it will take some time to get there but I am done with doing things underhanded. The Queen wouldn’t do anything bad and to honour how strong of a woman she was I will do everything with class. That is a promise I can keep…”

Her daughter smiles as she refuses to let go.

“I love you so much mom… Thank you for always being there. Thank you for being you…”

Diamond smiles in return. Her daughter did have a point and Kate was going to do everything in her power to make her daughter proud of her. She held Juliet’s hand tightly as the two of them walked down the hallway and towards the exit. However what they didn’t expect was one Krystal Wolfe waiting in the middle of the hallway. Kate looked into the eyes of her longtime rival. The two locked eyes as Krystal spoke.

“So you managed to win tonight… I know we have been through a lot this year but it looks like you are the one who will be fighting for her dreams…”

Diamond nodded her head.

“I know and to be honest I really didn’t want to win the way that I did tonight. After talking to my daughter I realize it really wasn’t done with class and I am sorry for that. I know the two of us really haven’t seen eye to eye with one another. Hell you and my cousin Ruby were at odds as well. Not to mention you beat the bloody brakes off of me at one time when you sent me into that tank of piranhas. Despite everything we been through you are definitely a warrior Krystal… You really are a Wolfe ready to devour the competition…”

Diamond takes a deep breath as she continues to speak.

“I can see how you were best newcomer and the one to watch. You have had a stunning year and my biggest issue with you is that you were always complacent with just being a Roulette Champion. I know it shouldn’t have bothered me but I value you as a woman who is worth so much more than that. I just want you to challenge yourself and reaching for the very top…”

Krystal nods her head as she keeps her eyes fixated on Kate.

“I can appreciate you… You are a great wrestler yourself. Now that you have won the right to challenge Masque you better make the most of it. We all know that opportunities like this don’t always come around. Masque is tough and she outmatches you in every way but you need to push on. If you can, you might find yourself as champion… Best of luck to you…”

There was a silence in that hallway. Juliet just kept looking at Krystal, and the two rivals never moved their eyes off of one another. Diamond however made the first move as she extended a hand out to Krystal which took the Australian back a bit. She thought about it but her hands locked with Kate’s as she nodded her head.

“Best of luck to you Diamond… You just make sure you go out there and beat Masque and who knows. Maybe one day the two of us might be fighting for the World Championship…”

Diamond smirks as she keeps her eyes locked on Krystal. “I appreciate that… You never know… Just pray for the best before lord knows I am going to give her everything I got. Cheers…”

With that Krystal and Diamond went their opposite directions. Diamond’s daughter walked side by side with her mother until they came across some familiar individuals. It was none other than Charlotte and Mackenzie from London Underground. All three British women stared at one another as there was a genuine level of happiness in the air. Charlotte quickly hugged Kate.

“Bloody hell you actually did it tonight Diamond…”

Mackenzie nodded her head in agreement.

“I knew you always had it in you. It was only a matter of time before you were going to get the things that you had worked so hard to get…”

Diamond smiles.

“Thank you both so much. To be honest I am really happy to be in this position. I feel like I have worked for a very long time to get to this position. A lot of people have worked off an entire lifetime in order to move their career in the position that they wanted it to go in. I have been in SCW for like six years now and this is the first time that I have EVER earned a position to get a World Championship match. Hell this is the first Super Card I will ever get to main event. It’s crazy that it took six years to get to this spot. I know I cashed in a briefcase to get a main event match but this feels differently. I feel like I actually earned this match and that makes it more the worthwhile…”

Mackenzie grins in return.

“Well you have your work cut out for you… I remember when you fought Alicia Lukas at London Brawling and it was a failing effort. If you couldn’t even win in your home town what makes you think you will have what it takes to beat perhaps the most dangerous woman to have ever stepped foot within an SCW ring?! A lot seems to be on the line and I don’t know if you have what it takes to really come out on the winning side of things?!”

Diamond slowly shakes her head.

“I know… It is a lot to take in but I guess what makes all of this different is the fact that I am not out there fighting for myself. I am fighting on behalf of the Queen. I am fighting for my daughter and I can’t let them down. My daughter has wanted me to have this moment for a very long time and I will make her happy. I have to show her that her mother is the toughest around and I am not afraid of anybody. Not even Masque…”

Juliet stands next to her mother as she looks at both women.

“That’s right and my mother won’t let me down. I know a lot of people don’t have faith in me but I definitely do, and that is all that matters…”

Diamond smiles at her daughter before she moves her head back to her fellow Brits she looks deep into their eyes as she shares her heart.

“Anyway I appreciate the vote of confidence but that still doesn’t explain why you two decided to come here tonight. What’s going on?!”

Charlotte looks over at Mackenzie before her eyes move back over to Kate.

“Actually the real reason we are here is because Daniel sent us. He actually wanted to speak to you.”

Diamond opens her eyes in amazement as she seemed befuddled.

“Speak to me about what exactly?! I don’t think I understand. What did he have to say to me…”

Mackenzie is the one to respond.

“Actually this has to do with you visiting the Golden Ring Casino two days ago. I know you came into the casino to speak to Crystal about hosting your tribute to the queen concert at the casino…”

Kate nods her head.

“That was the plan but I was basically told to piss off and Crystal made it seem that as long as she was the special events coordinator that I would never be allowed to have my concert there. It’s okay though. I figured that maybe the casino was busy and it just didn’t have the room to host the event…”

The two of them just stand as they move out of the way. Daniel J. Morgan could be seen walking in between the two women. He looks into the eyes of Kate as he speaks to her.

“It’s rare that I get out of the casino but seeing as that SCW was home in Vegas tonight I figured I could make an appearance. I heard about what Crystal did at the casino and I am very disappointed in her. Not only that but Mark Ward called me and told me that he was partnering with you on this tribute for the Queen. Crystal’s actions don’t speak for the entire establishment of GRC. What she failed to realize is that all of London Underground is from England. We all respect the Queen and we will be willing to do anything to honour her majesty. With High Stakes coming to Vegas we will hold that concert for you. I can’t wait to help raise money for the British Red Cross…”

Kate’s eyes open wide up.

“Really that sounds amazing?! As a matter of fact it truly… truly is OUTR….”

Daniel just shakes his head sighing.

“Please don’t say that… I think I dodged a bullet by having to drop out of that Blast From The Past and teaming up with your cousin. I don’t think I could handle any more 24 London Stone nonsense and I definitely can’t take you saying it either. All you need to know is that you have my casino Saturday Night of High Stakes weekend for whatever you wish to do. Whenever you want to do anything to honor our country overseas you will always have the venue of the casino. Make our country proud and whatever difficulty you went through will never happen again…”

Diamond is taken back.

“And why is that exactly?!”

Daniel nods his head.

“With the way Crystal has been acting lately I took matter into my own hands and I have suspended Crystal from her position at the Golden Ring Casino. What remains to be seen is where her future goes from here. It is embarrassing that Christian Underwood fired her from SCW and now I made a move with her at the casino. Sooner or later she is going to be left with nothing left…”

Juliet hears this and she immediately looks at Daniel in the eyes. She takes a long deep breath as she begins to scream at him.

“Please Mr. Morgan don’t fire her! It’s okay if you suspended her and I know you did what you had to do but please let her keep her job. She’s the mother of my best friend, and I don’t want anything to happen to Aurora’s and I’s friendship. I just think Miss Crystal is misunderstood… Please… Please… Don’t do anything too badly to her…”

Daniel looks into the eleven year Old’s eyes. He slowly nods his head in return as he replies back to her.

“Okay, okay…I can’t handle to break the heart of an eleven year old. After High Stakes she can be unsuspended and get her job back, but from now until this concert I am going to have your mother take point on this concert. As far as I am concerned you are the event coordinator for this concert. So you can help yourself to using Crystal’s office temporarily. If you need any resource or anything at all you can have it. Just make this concert one that nobody will forget and on top of that you know what you need to do to really make the Queen happy…”

Daniel looks over at London Underground. Mackenzie looks at Kate as she looks deep into Kate’s eyes.

“Bring the World Bombshell Championship to where it belongs. You waited six years for this opportunity. Now is the time to make sure that it doesn’t go to waste…”

Kate nods her head as she looks at the three Brits in front of her.

“You don’t have to worry about any of that. I promise to make the very most of this opportunity. I will do my very best but most importantly I will win. I guarantee that much…I won’t rest until I am crowned as the new World Bombshell Championship and the title is around my waist…”

With that they all keep their eyes locked on Kate. She and her daughter leave the arena as they head off into the direction of the rental car.

You know there are so many different thoughts that are running through my mind right now. I guess the first thought is that has definitely been a long hard fought process. I have been in SCW for a very long time and throughout my six year journey of being in this company I have only received four opportunities at becoming the World Bombshell Champion. One of those opportunities was because I cashed in on a briefcase and instead of trying to follow the norm of cashing in on an unsuspecting champion I chose the high road and it really didn’t get me anywhere that resulted in a lost to Alicia. I also remember getting a random championship match against my best friend Melody Grace and I felt like I didn’t deserve it. The same thing happened with a match against Roxi Johnson.

All of those matches ended with me not winning and it’s sad that for six years I had only been in that position three teams. I have busted my ass in this company for the entire time that I have been here. I have worked my way through the ranks starting at the very bottom.

It started with me challenging for the Roulette Championship but I made it into my own and not only did I hold it with honour but I raised the bar. I set the record and prove to be quite the fighting champion with that belt. After my journey with the Roulette Championship I did the same exact thing with the Internet Championship. I won that title and I defended it to the best of my ability. In my second reign I tied the longest reign, and held the record for most combined days as champion.

I wasn’t afraid to fight top notch challenges and I worked my ass into being a work horse of a champion. I even went on to see if I could do something different and that is when my former husband and I won the Mixed Tag Team Championships.

I feel like I am a woman who has accomplished so much. Blast From The Past finalist, two time Roulette Champion, two time Internet Champion, and former Mixed Tag Team Champion. I have done everything I possibly could have done in this company. There is only one thing that has ever eluded me and that is go out there and win the big one.

That World Bombshell Championship has never came around my waist but now I have a feeling that things will be different this time around. Things will be different because I have actually earned my chance to main event a Super Card. This is truly a year of firsts and now that I have made it to the big dance I promise with everything that is built inside of me that I am not going to lose everything now. This is everything I have worked so hard for and you better believe that I am going to make the most of this extra moment.

The only thing I need to do now is fight the biggest threat that I have ever been in the ring with. I just need to beat the unbeatable Masque and when I do I will have everything that I could have ever imagined. I will be acknowledged as the very best because I will have the World Championship that showcases me as such. On top of that I will also be considered a main event star which is something I have always longed for. I will become yet another Grand Slam Champion in the history of SCW but most importantly than that I think I would have made a very strong case to be considered for the Hall of Fame.

After all when you see the accomplishments and the accolades it would be hard to deny a woman who has done everything that there possibly is to achieve in SCW from entering into the hall. That’s why this one match is very important. This one match has so much riding on it and it’s one match that can change the entire world of one British girl.

Masque it seems like you and I are on a serious collision course. It’s SCW’s smallest and shortest active bombshell taking on one of the tallest. So how will I fare when I have to stand up against a giant?! I am sure you can read a bible or even a fairy tale to figure out what happened when David took on Goliath or even Jack went up the beanstalk. No matter which you look upon the result was always the same. In the most unlikely events the smaller individual ended up winning and I will look to do the same when the two of us face off against each other.

Now here is where the truth comes in between the two of us. You love to sit there and speak as if you are reading poetry. You are violent and everybody views you as this threat but all I see is a woman that just knows how to use big words, and I don’t need to paint things like a picture. I really don’t care if you are only about the Rapture and bringing everybody to it.

The only thing I care about is being the very best in this company and that is where you and I differ. You don’t wish to be the vest. You just carry around the title as a way to shove a trinket around. Considering how much thought you have put into this match your biggest concern isn’t on me. It has always been on an Amber Ryan or somebody else. I haven’t been on your radar at all and you been treating me as if I am an afterthought. It’s such a shame because I view you as the only thing in my way to get what I want.

I know there will be a lot of people who will be cheering me on to beat you. There are people who see me as having a change of attitude and they like what they have seen from me. There are others who think I could be a hero if I could take you down. They view what you did to Amber and others as being very despicable and I have been placed into position to be their savior.

Let me make something clear. I am nobody’s hero. That spot has always been saved for the likes of a Roxi Johnson or even a Keira Fisher. I know I could never be that because that’s not me. You see Masque what makes me dangerous and potentially the biggest threat that you have ever been in the ring with is the simple fact that I have my head on straight about this entire match with me.

The only reason why I want to fight you is not to gain some type of recognition from giving you retribution for what you did to Amber Ryan. I personally don’t care about any of that. The only thing I care about is the gold that you have around your waist and I long to make it my very own. A lot of women have fought for that title. They have put everything on the line to wear it with pride and I can’t stand to see that title go around the waist of somebody who only has a one track mind on what they want to focus on.

I don’t see you as a threat… I just see you as the Bitch who is standing in the way of everything I have ever wished to accomplish in this company. That title will prove to women like Myra and Alicia Lukas who told me that I am not good enough or could never make it to the top that they could eat crow. A win over you changes all of that and it puts all of that too shame.

Myra told me that I reminded her of what she used to be like when she arrogant but I beg to differ. You see for me being denied something just makes me want to push hard for it, and I know with every misstep comes a teachable moment that I can pick myself back up and get to where I need to be.

Besides had I been a Myra Rivers when things didn’t go my way I would have left the company like a little Bitch. I would have gone elsewhere and complained why I didn’t get thing done, but long before I am still here because I know that journey isn’t done yet. On top of that Alicia Lukas has consistently called me trash over and over again.

However I was able to overcome that Alicia hurdle when I beat her in a Super Card match, and was able to beat her along with two other women to earn my spot in this match. I will say that I have done a great job of righting so many wrongs and I am not done yet.

I know I am not trash and I am definitely not afraid of you. I am in this for the long haul and this journey doesn’t stop until I beat you. Once I beat you the journey to become the best ends and a new journey of consistently proving myself will begin.

SCW needs a champion that actually wants to be a champion. Not something that one just has for the sake of maintaining. Besides I feel like you didn’t even earn your place to be here. Truth be told you lost your match against Roxi Johnson. She had beaten you and had unified the titles. Which meant you should have rightfully moved to the back of the line so that another challenger could rise up through the ranks to fight for the title.

Instead you were just handed another opportunity and I think that is a huge slap in the face to everybody who had to work their ass off to get anything in this company. Hell even when you took the Internet Championship away from Andrea I felt like you didn’t even earn that title match. You were just given a title match after being here for three months and poof everything else falls into place.

After being Internet championship for like two plus months you just get inserted right into a World Championship match?!

That is a bunch of bollocks to me because I know for a fact that I definitely have paid my share of dues in this company. When I went on to hold the Internet Championship for my second reign, the reign in which I tied the longest reign I built up the most defenses. I defended against names like Evie Jordan, Roxi Johnson, Keira Fisher, and so many others.

I beat people that actually mattered and built up a long laundry list of defenses. After doing everything that I did for the division I felt like when I lost the title that I was time that I could move up the card but the company didn’t see it that way. They didn’t see me as a main event star but only saw me being held down somewhere in the mid-card. Do you have any idea how that made me feel?!

I felt low and to be honest disrespected because I know what I bring to the table night in and night out. As if that wasn’t enough I have to put up with every single show owners banning my Gem Stones from the ring as if they ever really had an impact on any of my matches. I have always went out there on my own merits and wrestled. It didn’t matter if I was looked upon as the biggest Bitch or the nicest girl. It has always been me but for some reason that level of respect for Kate Steele was non-existent.

How come I never got the treatment that you got?! Holding an Internet title for two months and immediately calling for a shot but yet I get frowned upon?!

That’s bollocks and I think everybody knows it. I have paid my dues, I have won every single title but the one around your waist, and it just seems like it’s never good enough. When will it ever be good enough?!

That is why I have something to prove in this match because I am fighting for my dignity. I am fighting for self-respect and most of all I am fighting for me. I need to beat you so I could openly tell the entire world that I deserve to be here.

I am sure you haven’t been what I been through, and every single thing I have done has always been a case of me trying to fit in.

As SCW’s chameleon I have always tried to mold myself into whatever the company needed from me. I was a baker, a movie star, a punk rocker, a little girl who saw UFC one day and immediately thought I was a submission based wrestler. I also happened to have a time where I hid behind a mask and that is when this whole personality as Diamond came about.

At first it was supposed to be a stupid little ruse to make my former husband look bad but it developed into an entire band. A band that loved to be based off of a cartoon show that went off of the air well before I was born. However these are all traits that define me and at least I know what I am about whenever I enter the wrestling ring.

However do you even know who you are or what you are bringing to the table?!

I know you should be feared but to be honest I have seen you wrestle opponents to draws and they just don’t go in the way that you had hoped for them to go. If you are as tough as you claim to be you should be in there destroying every opponent and be an unstoppable force. You simply aren’t though and that’s because I think that you personally don’t care about the wrestling or trying to be the best.

You just want to focus on the things you wish to focus on and everything else doesn’t matter. That’s not me though. To me this match with you is everything. It took me six long Fucking years just to get my first main event Super Card match.

It wasn’t one that was begged for… It wasn’t just randomly given to me…

I am at the dance because I bloody EARNED it and that means that I want to be here. This is what I want and I will be damned if you ruin this for me. I know chances like this don’t always come and that is why I am going to make the most of it. If I have to put my entire body on the line to prove a point so be it but you are going to know that I have arrived and that I am here to stay.

In September our beloved Queen had passed away from the World. It was something that shocked the entire world and I really look up to that woman. I am putting forward a concert in her name because she is a woman that rightfully deserves it. On top of that I know I can’t afford to lose to you because I have people that depend on me.

This has nothing to do with the SCW nation but I am talking about people that are very close to me. Kris Ryans believed in me and he trusted me with an entire school to look after. All of those students are looking to see my next move and wish to see what happens when I have to face somebody as dangerous as you.

It’s not about the size of the dog but it’s all about the size of fight in that DOG and this dog is ready to bite your very head off. On top of that you have the Gem Stones who are looking to see what their fearless leader is going to do.

Most importantly my eleven year old daughter is looking to see what her mommy can do when pushed with adversity. I have spent this year dealing with a ton of bullshit from my ex-husband. I thought getting over a bad divorce would have been enough but I also had my child taken away from me because he falsely called CPS on me.

I had to deal with months of trying to prove that I am a great parent and after everything I finally got my daughter back.

If there has been one constant that has been throughout my career it’s the simple fact that I am a fighter and I will fight to the very end. You might be bigger and you might seem like a threat but I don’t see it that way. at High Stakes I am going to prove to you that I am the best women’s wrestler in this company today.

I will win that title and I will be champion.

Watch out Masque because I am not hiding behind a mask. What you see is what you get and there will be nothing to stop me from shining like a Diamond. Brace yourself because it won’t be long until you find yourself… SHIPWRECKED.

user posted image

Offline Terrorfexx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 04:21:31 PM »
Symphony of the Iron Underbelly, Movement No. XXII – Carbon

[The Past – The Killing Fields, Southeast Nagorno-Karabakh, Central Caucasus]

Alice pulled the rifle tight in against her chest and swung her legs over the rim of the crater, heels pedalling hard into the glassy wall as she eased down. It cracked underfoot; a thin shining crust of superheated earth punched through to cold, misshapen ejecta. She slipped below the terminus, an equator made from shadows that marked where the harsh midday glare overhead couldn’t reach. The temperature dropped, chilling her damp skin and she blinked away the disorientation of brightness being replaced by dark. Just above the floor a good thirty feet down, she pulled up the tattered edge of a camouflage net and slipped underneath.

Alice snapped open the quick-release clasp of her sling and removed the magazine from the weapon, working the action to clear the chamber and make her weapon safe. “Negative contacts Ma’am. All quiet across what’s left of the killing fields. Expect everything else that sweats and breathes has the same idea as us to wait out the day.”

Abigayle pulled the pack in between her legs where she sat and nodded, pressing a palm against her spine and grimacing with the effort of straightening it. The net sat loosely against the top of her head, tickling the irritated scalp and scabbing cuts. An unmistakable smell of damp rose up from inside the folds of her pack as she fished out its contents. All the wrapping and double insulation in the world wouldn’t keep things dry for long out in the field. Have operations, will soak. She wiped damp fingertips against her thighs and only managed to smear them brown, looking over to see Alice kicking her own trousers free of bare legs.

“Not a minute too soon!” She said. “Take another day and they could stand to attention without me in ’em.”

The plastic bag holding her rations streamed with water, a mixture of condensation and life outdoors and Abigayle set it down by the dirt, shaking the plastic over a dented cup to collect the run-off. It tasted awful, but she shook every drop free and swirled it around her dry mouth. Fresh water was a luxury, potable water essential. Something that wouldn’t poison badly enough to take you off your feet being the hot backup. She pushed the cup back into place over the canteen and shook it, but precious little sloshed back. Less than a third full with just one more in reserve. 

Abigayle’s cracked tongue ran across her rough gums, pressing against an abscess. It wasn’t going to be enough. Her free hand pawed around in the cold dirt until her knuckles wrapped painfully against the transit case and she pulled it in close. The skin of her palm caught on the edges of ruts and grooves gouged into the toughened plastic, pinching and nicking. Reassuring her it was still there. 

Some prescription medications, a little local currency. Some jewellery. Not much, but enough to potentially buy them some respite or enough time to talk their way out of trouble if it came following up from the smoking remains left behind.

Two weeks since the field hospital had been overrun by rebel forces – or at least one of the myriad irregular forces busy killing each other throughout the region. She had long since given up trying to identify which group was responsible for specific atrocities at any one time; an inevitable consequence of dirty, brutal civil war in places that held no useful natural resource or any other compelling reason for someone more important to get involved.

No careful, ordered withdrawal in columns of disciplined fighting men and women. Instead … A free-for-all. Every fighting man and woman for themselves and those that weren’t primarily there to do the fighting, like Abigayle, were left to their own devices.

It had been a calculated risk to come out here, to offer her medical services to those that paid first and asked questions never. Fortunately, she had been able to stay ahead of any number of roving gangs and other wayward groups and having met up with a particularly drawling American from somewhere in the deepest south, they had both agreed to work as a pair in their efforts to find a way back to relative civilisation.

Or at least the good Doctor had no further use for her.

She held the case tight against her hip, and Abigayle’s fingers came away blackened with soot and streaked by carbon. A reminder of reinforced armour plating and eardrums being burst from the inside-out, scalding showers of superheated coolant spraying from the end of a whipping hose. The crack of bone and the overwhelming cocktail of burning engine oil, melting rubber and cooked flesh. And that was just one armoured vehicle, just a handful of men and women. Multiply a thousand times—   

Cross-legged opposite, Alice was down to underwear with her rifle balanced across her knees, stripping it and arranging the pieces meticulously on a worn foam mat. She glanced up with a battered toothbrush wedged into the business end of the chamber. “Everything alright, Ma’am?”

Abigayle’s head snapped up and she came back to the bottom of a crater somewhere on the pockmarked plains. Thoughts of the case at her side, liberated from the gutted remains of a burning transport the day before took a little respite.  “I … Cannot decide between the Vegetarian Omelette and starvation.”

Alice squeezed a small torch between her teeth, reply incomprehensible as she aimed the beam through a multi-segmented bolt. Abigayle watched her try to talk around the rubber and plastic filling most of her mouth for a good minute before giving up.

“Lance Corporal?”

She polished the face of the bolt with a shining silver cloth, head bowed and eyes rising to meet Abigayle’s before dropping the torch into her lap. “Sorry Ma’am. Not enough hands. Alice is fine.” 

The taller woman pulled the sling of her own weapon over her head, setting it down. It felt heavy in her hands, alien. Such an imprecise and brutal thing. She doubted it would be all that useful if things became desperate. “I can help—”

“Prefer to do it myself,” Alice interrupted. She grinned, pushing the bolt back into the carrier inside the chamber. “Sorry Ma’am, habit I made the hard way back during boot camp and drilled in too many times since. Never let someone else clean your rifle; not unless you’re willing to give up the sureness that comes with doing the job yourself and knowing when you pull that trigger and mean it, she does the job.”

Abigayle nodded, glancing at the camouflaged trousers crumpled between them. “That is good advice – I understand the priorities.”

“Can fight without functional pants, Ma’am,” Alice said with authority that sounded like it was borne from experience, somehow. “Believe me. Can’t fight without a functional weapon.”

And Abigayle did believe her. This was her world, after all. Brutal, violent. Murderous. She lifted the bag holding the rations up and prodded it with a finger, frowning at the way it sank into the foil, swallowed up to the knuckle. “I will take care of what passes for food then, and brave the omelette too if you can tolerate the stroganoff.”

The click-clack of a cycled action echoed around the crater floor. “Happy to take the omelette, Ma’am. Actually, prefer it.”

Abigayle shook her head as she squeezed the rations in her hands and twisted them sharply, setting off the internal reaction that would at least make it a hot, inedible mess. “You must be popular in the field when it is time to eat. A powerful woman in any trade.”

“Not rightly sure why I don’t mind it.” Alice pushed a fresh magazine into place, readied her weapon and set it carefully down on the sleeping mat in front. “Don’t know how else to explain it except God-given. Maybe blessed me with a stomach tough enough to cope with it and a brain dumb enough to like it. Pass me your rifle Ma’am and I’ll give it the once-over.”

Down in the dirt the stroganoff and omelette tipped over onto their sides as they boiled, crinkled silver balls all bloated and pulsing. Every bit as if a second team had taken responsibility to build on the appalling taste concocted by the first and derive a cooking method that somehow made the whole thing look even less appealing. 

Alice flicked the matted bristles of her toothbrush with a fingernail, before thrusting it inside another trigger housing. The head came out caked in burnt carbon and chunks of mud dried hard like concrete. She set it down, palms smeared black. “Maple slices.”

Abigayle raised an eyebrow and stabbed a hole in the top of each of the rations, her nose wrinkling as the steam billowed up, bringing the waft of something pretending to be mushrooms. 

“Love the maple slices that always come with the number threes and sixes.” Alice pulled a courser brush free from her cleaning kit and got back to work, tongue pushing the inside of her cheek out between broken sentences. “Would make the omelette my own cross to bear for one of ‘em.”

“Even if you secretly liked them regardless?”

“Got to do what needs to be done. Ma’am. Pleasures in the field few and far between. Sometimes all you need is a little maple slice in your life and suddenly, the rain doesn’t feel so cold on your neck.”

“Perhaps you will get lucky and find one in here,” Abigayle said with the slightest ghost of a smile that stretched the gaunt skin around her jaw, rattling the contents of the bag still dripping with condensation. 

The Lance Corporal frowned, lines in her forehead pulling down tufts of blonde hair stuck fast to the skin by a layer of dust. “Oh no, Ma’am. Only get those slices of military heaven with threes and sixes. We’re enjoying a nine and fourteen here.”

Abigayle leaned down and dared a deeper whiff of the stroganoff. A definite mistake. She recoiled, trying to fan away the smell with a flailing hand that made the camouflaged netting over their heads billow up. “You know them by heart?”

“Been eating ‘em a fair while Ma’am; even before I ended up here,” She replied, ignoring the incredulous expression sent her way and tipping the trigger housing over. Accumulated filth dropped to join the dirt and the harsh, synthetic smell of fresh lubrication oil combined with vegetarian omelette.

It all mingled in the back of the Doctor’s throat and stuck there like eating your meal from the top of a running engine block. The only positive being it couldn’t have made the rations any less appealing. Nothing could. In the end though, she was just indulging in the most ancient human tradition of all – something even more timeless than fraternity or honour; carrying a greater legacy than any regimental colour steeped in centuries of history or blood.

Complaining. Honed to the finest of arts and ultimately the singular unifying experience of anyone serving any flag of any nation anywhere, ever. Or the highest bidder. She was going to eat this, reluctantly devour every repulsive morsel and then lick the inside of the bag clean of grease until the anti-bacterial finish started to wear away. Because she had spent the last two weeks eating a quarter of the calorific intake needed to do half the miles they’d been forced to cover, ever since the field hospital had been overrun and probably shelled into slag. Because her body was consuming itself in a desperate attempt to keep up.

She looked at the half-naked woman opposite, apparently in her element; tongue pushing out the corner of her cheek as she worked. What a curious simpleton.

[The Rapture]

Forged in the crucible of titanic pressures; moulded into something enduring and untarnished. Cut to a multi-faceted, brilliant shine that reflects any and all attempts to probe, to understand. To interrogate. No matter how bright the light sent its way, there is nothing to see but the clear reflection of the observer looking in. Nothing of meaning, of import, gets out. A one-way, crystalline mirror that offers only perfect symmetry.

Your namesake. A diamond.

Oh, how long you bided your time buried in the soft mud and rock, waiting to be unearthed. Feeling the subtle tremors of those that walked with the sun warm on their backs above, enjoying their moments and heartaches while you existed in the dark. Patient and hewn from relentless, incredible waiting. A matter of that time, until all the world and the people on it finally brush the dirt from your gleaming, glittering faces and behold the sight – give you your due. Behold something incredible and worthy of recognition. Respect.

Is that what you think you are?

Finally plucked from the rock and the shit, painstakingly cut and polished and made incredible, beautiful, and set into place in trappings more worthy of your stunning shine. Affixed into some symbol of regency and pomp; made a centrepiece of power, influence and worth. Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown, but not for the most dazzling jewel that sits at its apex encircled by bands of platinum and sterling silver. Nothing so beautiful could be so concerned with such a mundane a thing as a burden. Up there, at the zenith of such artisan, masterfully-crafted apparel you are so much closer to God than the ground you came out from, after all.

A diamond in a crown.

And now they all gather around in orderly queries, faces pressed up against reinforced glass, to gaze and wonder. Sat plush on your velvet-lined cushion, sparkling under halogen lamps overhead, your time at the centre of all attention reaches its peak. After your recent exploits, now comes your greatest moment and opportunity. A chance, at last, to take what has for too long been in the hands – resting on the head – or on the shoulders of others.

Yours, if you can win a game of particularly high stakes.

You invest too much in the wrong metaphors, Miss Steele. In addition to mischaracterizing the parallels you think you draw from a particular arrangement of carbon atoms, you place such enormous merit in the symbology of something designed and constructed to rely entirely on appearance over substance. Lineage and legacy over any real influence on the future. I am at a loss to understand where you think your devotion to an outdated form of government of a small and bleak little island in the North Atlantic will lead you, other than enabling a parasocial relationship that could never have existed, even before entropy finally made a King from a Queen.

Do you understand the inherent powerlessness of your apparent inspiration? That a Queen is imbued with all the authority of a realm but is so constrained in its application that to undertake the smallest act unilaterally, would be to invite the dissolution of her role and the loss of all that precious prestige? That attending banquets, racing horses and inducting the upwardly mobile into archaic chivalric orders named after roses and thistles is nothing more than meaningless public relation exercises or distractions to pass the years and decades?

Step out from your wrought-iron gates, direct the driver to stop your Daimler Limousine at the head of the Mall and ask those that represent the real world just how lauded you actually are. Ivory towers and one-way, crystalline mirrors. Do you truly believe that evoking the name of some hereditary tourist money trap will somehow spur you on to greater achievement? When we meet in Las Vegas in a few days’ time, how will an octogenarian newly buried under the veined marble floors of Westminster Abbey make you any more capable of defeating me?

The greatest irony of course in this being that even if through some hypothetical absurdity, that Monarch could be asked, questioned on her thoughts regarding your insufferable loyalty and inconceivable dedication, she would not even know your name.

I grow tired of the disrespect, Kath-Lyn, and the lack of originality in the paying of that disrespect. You are not afraid of me, in the same way none of the others were. My achievements are linearised; made two-dimensional and drained of colour so that I can be more easily dismissed as some trope-ish boogeywoman. You are vibrant and shining bright and I am some formless shadow that apes and howls in the background. Somehow, you have simultaneously appointed yourself to the irreconcilable roles of Underdog and Favourite. 

You guarantee a win? You will become World Bombshells’ Champion?

You will be put into long-term community care. You will be left with wounds that will permanently twist your skin and ache on cold November days for a decade plus to come. You will put a lock on your bathroom cabinet, if only to stop a teenage Juliet from counting – or worse, experimenting – with the dozen brown plastic bottles all bearing STEELE, KATE in a cluster of prescription-strength reminders of your failure.

All you have earned is the right to be disabused of your delusions. Your opportunity is simply one of expectation management, to be given the relatively rare gift of having your dreams scaled back to fit within the envelope of available resources. The historical evidence of your multiple title matches and multiple failures, are simply a trend that reaches its latest affirming datapoint in Las Vegas on Sunday.

Once again, you have confused the symbol for the source of its power. It is not the diamond on the crown, but the authority that is representative upon the head that wears it. You believe that by virtue of holding the Bombshells’ World Championship, all the things that have eluded you thus far will somehow be yours to enjoy. That by virtue of being a Champion, you will be treated and acknowledged like one. It is a fairytale of the strength best left to read to your daughter at night.

The title you have become so focused on making yours is made relevant only by the exploits of those that carry it. The Championship itself is meaningless without this lineage – it has neither value or power if it is held by those that give nothing to it … And so many have given so much. Some have made it a beacon, burning with the strength of their own morality like Miss Johnson did once upon a time. Others have simply cut out their own heart and replaced it, like whirling painted Hurricanes.

And as for me? I have simply recognised this title for what it has always been. A gold-plated beartrap; a slow-acting lacquered poison inset with precious stones. The long death; lingering and agonising. It is so remarkable to see what people will do to each other, to themselves, for the opportunity to die slowly with this in their twitching hands …

It will not bring you glory because you have it, Miss Steele, and that is why you will never have it.

This is not a biblical allegory and we are not larger-than-life characters in some leatherbound compendium of bedtime stories. You highlight fiction to try to draw potential parallels when we come to exchange miseries with each other, but they are noteworthy because they are unreal. People like you, Kath-Lyn, do not win because dreaming and building a complex web of hopes and suppositions will never translate into real-world success. Wishing to be Champion will not make you Champion. Turning me into a caricature of some enormous, ponderous giant will not make the agony of your soft palate being crushed under hard plastic any more tolerable.

I am tired of the disrespect shown by mewling, screeching hens that cluck and dig in the dirt because they lack the intelligence to articulate their position beyond farmyard insults. You are all beginning to bleed into each other and your names become synonymous – a Zdunich by any other name, a Steele; your arguments are carbon-copies embossed one after the other until they are recitable from memory.

If it is not the fact I choose to hide my face that bobs as low-hanging, blooming fruit in the light breeze, it is the way I talk. As if some central script has been composed and circulated amongst my so-called challengers, to spare them the effort of having to think for themselves. If my prose is too complex, the ideas it conveys confusing and unclear, then let me adopt a style even your daughter can comprehend and then, if necessary, relay to you:

You are an afterthought. You are of no consequence to me at all, and I am going to hurt you so very badly.

Is that sufficiently clear of purpose?

[The Past – The Killing Fields, Southeast Nagorno-Karabakh, Central Caucasus]

She pulled the sleeve of her fatigues up and made a fist. A thin rope of muscle bulged out from the bony ridge of her forearm until it met the prosthetic, making the scars across her skin flex. Stabbing a pair of spoons down into both rations, Abigayle passed one over. 

“What did you do before you came here?”

Alice struggled to get words out through a mouthful of synthetic vegetable mush, chewing on the syllables and the chow. “Ma’am?”

Even hot, the contents were already congealing on their way from the bag to Abigayle’s lips. “Before you ever knew of the delights of maple slices and omelettes.”

The Lance Corporal smacked her lips clean. “Worked for a theatre company out of Saint Louis, in the great state of Missouri just a hop northeast of there if we’re measuring distances in continents, I guess. Ended up there right after High School and then spent a few years in the U.S. Army. Wound up pretty good at shootin’ and the like, word gets around and got a job offer to come all the way down here, south of the equator and all that to join in all this craziness.”

Abigayle let the spoon hang in the air just long enough to push through the cramping of her stomach, as it struggled and shifted with the sudden influx of something resembling food. “You exchanged your microphone for a rifle?”

“Only dogs can hear me sing Ma’am,” Alice replied. She was already reduced to scraping dried mushroom substitute from the inside of the foil. “A little better at building the world for those folks that can carry a tune, though. I did set design, stage dressing. Can’t take a magical evening ride through Arabia without a flying carpet and you’d be surprised how easy it is to asphyxiate the cast if you don’t know a thing or two about managing dry ice …” 

She tore open the ration pack at the seam to give her an angle into the corners and their precious residue. “I took care of the mundane so the talented folk could make some magic. Suppose you could say I got inspired by one of the most magical there ever was.”

The rough surface of Abigayle’s tongue dragged across the foil and, busy trying to turn the aftertaste into something she could swallow, was only able to raise an eyebrow. 

“Miss Judy Garland. She just stole a little piece of me the first time I saw her looking forlorn out that window; made my troubles melt away like those lemon drops she sang about. Maybe I latched on, one midwestern girl to another pretending to be one but she never gave it back. Wasn’t so good with my voice but I made up for it with my hands and like I told my Drill Instructor back at Parris Island, it’s a transferable skill.”   

Abigayle frowned and reached into the bag between her thighs, pulling out a handful of white capsules. “How did your Instructor respond to that?”

“He sure shouted a lot right after, but they all did all the time so can’t say it was definitely related.” Alice ran the edge of her spoon up and down the inside of the ration pack, taking one last taste of grease and metal. “Building sets and props for a cast; mounting section attacks and taking hills and houses – it’s all the same to me Ma’am. Got to be good with your hands to make a yellow brick road spiral on a stage or close with the enemy and kill ‘em.”

Rolling the capsules around in her palm Abigayle took a second to compose herself, before bringing them up to her lips and crunching through. As she chewed her mouth quickly filled with thick, bubbling foam that was supposed to taste like mint but got no closer than the stroganoff did to getting it right. All she could taste was burning bicarbonate, stinging her gums and making the tip of her tongue numb as it swirled around.

Across the floor of the crater Alice’s face contorted, cheeks bulging and tinged red, her eyes squeezed almost shut. She had a single hand clasped tight around the top of her water canteen, hard enough to flex the plastic but it stayed nestled in the dirt. As awful as they were, the capsules were designed to clean their teeth and gums without water, even if they were not designed to do it gently. Abigayle swallowed the last of it down, riding out a momentary gag and wiping roughly at her chapped lips with the back of a sleeve. 

As awful as they were, she had seen what lack of oral hygiene could do over time. Abigayle would gladly finish off a whole week’s supply of those capsules at once before she pulled the rotten splinters of a tooth out of someone’s screaming head. Again. 

Grimacing with the taste and the effort, Alice dragged her pack across the blackened embers underneath, pausing as something glittered in the disturbed dirt and rock below. Leaning forward, she pawed at the soil, scooping it up in a handful and beginning to syphon through it with her free hand.

“Huh,” She mumbled, turning over a fragment spit-cleaned back into a brilliant shine.

The taller woman cocked her head to the side. “What is it?”

A few more broken shards revealed themselves both in her palm and between the furrows of rocky soil upturned by the movement of her rucksack. “Gems, I think. An emerald … A sapphire too.”

“That’s diamond,” She nodded with a forefinger pointed down at the ground. Reaching out, Abigayle carefully picked up the slither of a shattered face and held it up. “Always thought diamond was supposed to be real strong.”

She rolled it carefully around in her palm. “It resists abrasion, scratching. It is hard …” Abigayle began, before letting the shard drop back down into the dirt. “But it cannot endure a sharp shock. It is brittle and under a sudden impact, it will break. I wonder why it was left behind.”

Alice clapped her hands together, letting the broken pieces fall back to join the slither of diamond below. “This whole area was levelled, pretty indiscriminately from the looks. Doubt they bothered going door-to-door to check for anything valuable … Or anyone inside.”

Abigayle mused on that, thoughts turned towards the cluster of shattered concrete pillars and twisted steel girders dotted around the perimeter of the crater and all across the ruined landscape for miles in every direction. “It seems inefficient not to make use of these resources.”

Inevitably, thoughts turned to the pack secured by her side. Settling the rucksack under her head and turning over, Alice’s muffled voice bounced against the damp earth surrounding.

“Some people don’t care about looks or value, Ma’am. Just want to inflict a whole host of misery and suffering on anything and anyone around.”

[The Rapture]

You are a silly little girl with less common sense than the eleven year old who inconceivably looks up to you as if you have anything of value or worth to teach. With even the smallest helping of emotional intelligence, you should be able to recognise that I am beyond anything you have faced before in the stop-start-fail chain of meaningless clashes and intermittent, middling title reigns you consider a career. I have defeated the greatest competitors in this company and have retired dictionary-defined legends. In my time within this organisation my record speaks for itself because I do not feel the need to highlight or draw attention to it – and yet you claim I am no threat?

This is not Juliet’s playground, or the farmyard within which the hens can strut safe behind the fence wire. This is very, very real and on Sunday you will learn that no amount of elementary-school psychological horseplay will reduce the suffering you are now long overdue to collect.

You wish to talk about earning opportunities? It is difficult to engage in good-faith with your accusations, given you have “earned” a World Title Match with a single match victory only a few weeks before. Tell me, Miss Steele … When was your last competitive outing beforehand? When was your last successful outing?

I would be very careful about invoking Miss Hernandez’ name in vain. The Biggest Bitch on the Block has had relatively little to say since she talked herself into losing everything: her record-breaking reign, her credibility … Everything. You are in prime position to take up the mantle as her protege and repeat those same mistakes, at my thorn-painted hand.

You have paid nothing except ignorance, and that is a currency which earns nothing but scorn.

Despite their foibles, I have always offered my opponents the chance to grow, to become more than they are – an opportunity to be changed for the better and although you have sorely tested my patience, I extend the same to you. In this case, however, the mechanism for that change is not an uplift or renewal: there is no place in the Rapture to be won. Instead, Miss Steele, you will be rearranged. Reconstituted into a new form that pleases me in more accurately mimicking who you really are.

You think of yourself as a diamond, some tetrahedral arrangement: each metaphorical carbon atom joined to four others such that their electrons are fixed, the structure rigid and covalent strength made manifest. A person and personality so hard that it resists all attempts to scratch, to indent. Even the worst of the world rebounds helpless against your smooth, polished, crystalline skin. Impervious and untouchable. It goes some way to explain why the things you say have no relation to the wider world you live in, since the latter has no way to penetrate the dense ignorance that rebuffs every attempt to teach or share.

But, of course, this betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of materials science. Something hard by its definition cannot be particularly tough and so we come to the reality of my challenger for the Bombshells’ World Championship: that while she effectively resists all attempts to gouge and pockmark, she is no more able to resist a hammer blow than claim success in any of her previous title opportunities. You are brittle, and an impact of sufficient strength will shatter you into constituent pieces fit for nothing more than decorative jewellery.

Better to find another arrangement that more accurately suits who you really are, and as promised we simply need to rearrange what is already there. From one particular arrangement of carbon atoms to another. By offering only three bonds instead of four, we obtain something that crumbles and bleeds against any material offering the slightest pressure. With it, your failures and inadequacies can be laid bare in written word. Diamond does not accurately convey the real you, Kath-Lyn … But graphite does.

With a weak, hexagonal structure, the layers of graphite slide over each other becoming malleable, soft. In this way, it bends and contorts and assumes whatever shape it is driven to make. Suddenly, all the external factors and influences of the world have direct purchase and twist you into a new form more fitting. More deserving.

Does that not feel more comfortable? To stop pretending you are something precious, unyielding and untarnished and instead adopt a reality more closely aligned with the truth? A form which apes what you have done, and not what you say you will do and fail to on countless occasions?

Like graphite, you smear and break under the slightest pressure; driven to react because you lack the strength of will or character to force your desires on the wider universe. If nothing else, this new form will scribe your failure for all the world to see – your story laid out even as your face is driven down against the concrete and dragged until raw.

This is not some Olympiad, where the pure of heart and body compete against each other in feats of strength, endurance and mettle. I have no interest in being better than you, or proving explicitly something that is inherently implied by virtue of my continued status as your World Champion. Your attempt to graft some moral and ethically upstanding meaning to violence exchanged between two individuals for monetary recompense or kicks is as irrelevant as all your trite motivations. You are a walking E-Z-SPEAK of cliches and hyperbole:

You just want to be the best.

You have worked so hard for this.

You have always dreamed of this since the time you were a little girl–

None of that matters, and nobody is listening. Pack your tropes and your hackneyed justifications alongside those hopes and dreams and put them into long-term storage. You cannot help but define yourself with all manner of quirks and meaningless personality traits that contribute nothing of value. You are British, you are a Monarchist, you play in a band. You have a daughter with more developed emotional intelligence than her mother … Are any of these things supposed to relate to your fighting qualities? Am I supposed to consider you a worthy challenger because you think you are owed something at the fourth time of asking?

Your arguments are as riddled with inconsistency as your career to date. You do not consider me a threat in one breath, but you acknowledge the danger I pose in another. The depth of your vainglory is so bottomless that you cannot see out from the pit to take a moment to consider me in anything but your crudest, two-dimensional caricature. In all your increasingly frenetic and desperate attempts at self-justification, you have barely offered a coherent thought as to who I am and why I do any of this. It is so disappointing to see you throw away another opportunity for that much-needed personal growth, obsessively regaling an uninterested audience and wider world with all the reasons that mark you out as special.

There is nothing special about you, Kath-Lyn, save your talent for finding praise in the most lukewarm, pedestrian aspects of your otherwise meaningless life.

I have retired legends and defeated superheroes – am I supposed to be moved to something by your trials and tribulations with Child Protective Services? I am a boogeywoman incarnate, used by the company hierarchy to silence upstarts and whispered about by cawing hens around catering … Should I fear the Gem Stones and their delusional leader? Do you listen to the things you say?

Your cliches are worn out, alongside your welcome. The size of the dog in your allegory is irrelevant, and I will put it down alongside the rest of your metaphor.

The reality is that you are going to let your daughter down, Kath-Lyn, because your position as the rock upon which her entire world is based is merely a macrocosm, a terrarium sealed off from reality. A pocket universe that you must leave to come defeat me and when you do, you will be just another shining trinket amongst countless baubles. Robbed of your uniqueness and special nature. From your perspective so much potential sits unused, waiting to be converted into realised success, but this is not your story. It is mine. Inside the limits of your own mind, you are on some fairytale-esque single-track towards realising fame and glory but throw open that door and step through and you will quickly find my world does not look upon you with darling eyes, wide and awe-filled and proud.

I do not look up at you like your daughter Juliet does; proud and pleased and enthused. I look down and see no crowning jewel worthy of appreciation, only a naive young woman who believes herself ready to take from me what a child’s rainbow-coloured dreams empower to believe belong to her.

It is easier to obtain forgiveness for breaking promises than to cope with the aftermath of badly-made ones, and so I think it is best if you concentrate on making amends with your daughter for committing the former. Despite your assurances, I strongly recommend you bring a chair to the Michelob Ultra Arena. Bring whatever you think will best help bridge an otherwise impossible gap between where you think you are and the reality you will soon occupy. It will be such a long, tiring journey to make. Use it to rest a while along the way.

Bring Juliet, and I will teach her all the lessons that will serve her so well in the rest of her life – lessons you will not, cannot teach because you are so far along a yellow-brick road that the glittering spires of the Emerald City rise over the blooming meadow tops.

Bring all the precious gemstones you can find: topaz, ruby, emerald and of course, diamond. I will shatter every one and in their broken remnants, you will finally see the reality as it has always been.

You will not survive long enough to see the Rapture.

D̶o n̶ot b̶e fri̶ght̴e̵n̵ed. M̷i̵n̵e i̵s t̴he̵ la̴st vo̷i̵c̶e yo̴u w̶ill eve̴r h̸ear.

Offline Crystal Zdunich

• View Profile
    • Crystal Millar
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 11:42:28 PM »
October  22nd
Golden Ring Casino
Las Vegas Nevada

Kate Steele couldn’t believe it. Not only was she going to host her big tribute concert for Queen Elizabeth but Daniel J. Morgan had decided to make Diamond the temporary Special Events Coordinator to oversee this event. Diamond sat down in Crystal’s office which was now her temporary office. A huge smile escapes his lips as she is seated on a luxurious office chair. She seemed to be looking over some paperwork when the door to the office opened up and some of her friends walked inside. Standing at the door was none other than Courtney and Ruby Steele. The blue haired vixen ran over to Diamond’s chair as she screamed excitedly.

“OMGoshie this is totes OUTRAGEOUS! I really can’t believe that you are actually going through with this. This is going to be super awesome and I bet King Charles is going to love our contribution to the British Red Cross in his mother’s name. I feel like we are really giving back to our homeland and you should feel proud about it…”

Kate doesn’t say anything as her eyes are still on her paperwork. She begins to speak out loud to herself.

“So much talent will be performing at this concert. I have the Gem Stones obviously, there’s Devilition with Griffin Hawkins. I think Heart may part of this as well. Roxi Johnson said she would drum for a band of myself and Griffin. This is going to be so much fun and I feel it is going to be overwhelming as well…”

Kate is locked in her own trance as she keeps going through all of the paperwork. As if that wasn’t enough. Courtney Steele glances over at her wife who shrugs her shoulders before her attention moves over to Kate.

“Kate… Do you hear us?! I know all of this sounds super exciting but you should at least acknowledge us. We are standing right here… Earth to Kate…. Earth to Kate…”

Kate however didn’t pay any attention to them as her eyes were locked in a trance. She went through even more paperwork as she kept overlooking everything to make sure everything was okay.

“So much to do in so little time. I can’t believe this concert was a sell out! I have meet and greets lined up, and I also have to make sure that every person performing has a sound check. It just seems like there is so much to do and there is little time to do it all. I have a newfound appreciation for those who work behind the scenes when it comes to concerts and what not…”

Ruby begins to get upset as she glares at her wife.

“It is really annoying me that my cousin isn’t saying anything to us. It’s like she is in a trance…”

Courtney Pierce nods her head slowly.

“I know… Now what could we do to get her attention?!”

Ruby’s eyes light up as she smiles evilly.

“I have a great idea! Maybe we should get Sapphire and Emerald. If the rest of the girls aren’t enough we could always try to get Juliet. Her daughter should definitely be more than enough to snap her out of this trance.”

“Good point… Better yet let’s just get all three of them. Together they should all be enough to really cause her to focus. Let’s go babe… We will get her back to reality…”

With that being said Courtney and Ruby both run out of the office leaving Kate alone. The petite English woman just offers a long drawn out sigh as she grabs a pen and begins to tap it on the table.

“Let’s see who should headline the night?! Who should open… This is all so frustrating and overwhelming! I don’t know what to do!”

As Kate is sitting there something happens that she doesn’t expect. The lights in the office begin to flicker. This catches her attention as she looks around.

“Hello?!”

She screams out loud that is when the lights begin to flicker some more. She paces around and looks at all of the decorations that Crystal has in her office but they begin to shake a bit as all of them begin to shake in front of her.

“Bloody hell?!”

Just like an airhead in a scary movie Kate’s initial response should be to leave as soon as possible but instead she can’t help but investigate as she begins to call out hoping somebody would answer.

“Hello is everybody there?! What’s going on?!”

Kate continues to look around being startled. She slowly turns her attention over to the chair in the office and that is when somebody sitting there catches her eyes. It is somebody that is very close to her. It happens to be a ghost one of Kris Ryans. The longtime owner of Jet City Sports Lab and Jet City South smiles as she looks into the eyes of Kate. She however backs away unable to keep her cool.

“KRIS?! BUT…BUT… YOU ARE DEAD!!!”

Kris laughs as the spirit kicks his feet up onto the table and places his arms around his head.

“I would say in the flesh but obviously you should know I am dead. I am not real Kate… I am just a ghost. This is me being a built up image that is deep within your brain. I figured you needed to get a visit from me because you have been working super hard lately. You just need to relax and put your mind at ease. So who better to get you to focus on what you need to do but me?!”

Kate finally decides to get out of the room… Or at least she tries too as she runs towards the door. She tries to turn the knob but for some reason the door seems to be locked. Kris laughs as he begins to shake his head.

“Kate… I know you want to leave but please have a seat. I do believe the two of us need to have a little chat…”

Kate is hesitant at first but she walks away slowly towards the seat that is in front of the ghost.

“I have no idea what’s going on. Why did you decide to visit me in spirit form?! What’s happening…”

Kris just laughs as he takes a long deep breath.

“To be honest you are sleeping right now. The truth is the reason I decided to pay you a visit is because you have been overworking yourself. I know it was sad to see the Queen pass away but you have honestly been working very hard since everything went down. What you are doing is completely honorable and I really like the changes you have made in your life.”

“Do you really mean that?! I just don’t feel like what I have been doing is enough though. What sucks the most is the fact that I can’t be in England doing all of this for my countrymen. It sucks that I am stuck in the states having to do everything from afar. If I had my way, I would have traveled over there and had this tribute concert right in front of Buckingham Palace…”

Kris chuckles as he nods his head in agreement.

“Like I said very honorable. Look the reason why I wanted to talk to you is to simply let you know that I am proud of you. I know you have been having doubts lately, and you have been doubting if you are good enough. You should never feel that way because you ALWAYS have been enough. Quite often you have been more than enough. During my time of passing away the gym seemed as if it was going to self-destruct. I know there was a huge war when I was alive in trying to make our gym stand out. It was Go Gym and of course our gym. That wat between Ruby and you against Krystal really put the gym on the map. As if that wasn’t enough you worked with Courtney Pierce and because of you pouring into her she isn’t the same rough girl that she once was.”

He takes a long deep breath as he continues to pour his heart out to her.

“You really have been fantastic and nobody could ever hope for anything more. I don’t know how you constantly prove to defy the odds and you do the unthinkable. You were able to really help Courtney and now look at her. She seems to be one of the happiest people at the gym…”

Kate nods her head smirking.

“As much as I would like to take the credit I don’t think I can. That would be really wrong to that of ruby. She is the one who fell in love with her and I guess them falling in love and getting married really changed things about. They both seem happy and if they are happy I am happy…It’s more on her than it is me…”

“I beg to differ though Kate… You are the one who’s passion got all of the Gem Stones wanting to be wrestlers in the first place. They followed you to my gym and they took the time to become students. They looked upon your investment and wanting to make one of their own into the gym. Just look at your cousin. She jumped right into wrestling and immediately become a wrestling sensation overnight. She won the Blast From The Past and became a name… That’s good stuff right there…”

Diamond just sighs.

“As great as all of that sounds it’s a little outrageous. Ruby didn’t stay in wrestling that long. She won that tournament and really didn’t do anything with it. Her entire journey stopped right there and nothing else came of it. She left after a bad lost to Alicia Lukas and now she just seems complacent in dealing with married life. So I don’t know if that investment was really worth it. It’s just my life though. It’s how things always seem to go. Whenever I think things are going really good I trip miserably. That one misstep seems like a huge step back and I can never get to where I really feel that I am destined to go…”

Diamond begins to yell louder than before as she stands up banging on the table.

“THINGS NEVER GO THE WAY I WANT THEM TO GO… I could have taken the next step in my career but I lost to MYRA RIVERS over and over again! I just want to be the World Champion and it’s the only thing that has been on my mind. It’s the only place I want to go. I appreciate you telling me that I AM somebody but I have been at this for quite some time and in the eyes of everybody else I just feel like I will ONLY be a mid-card talent AT BEST. So you want to stand there or in ghost form haunting me in my dreams to tell me that you are proud of me?! I find that to be BOLLOCKS… It’s true poppycock because even I know that’s not true…”

Kris however stands up as his spirit looks at Kate in the eyes.

“IT’S THE TRUTH THOUGH! You are somebody that I am proud of. You have taken the next leap in your career. You might have been feeling low but how many times have I HAD to remind everybody that I am a double Grand Slam Champion?! Sometimes people don’t want to listen so you need to force them to listen. Everybody might have thought you were a nobody and the foolish girl who wasn’t worthy of a World Championship match. Now look at you though… You are right in the thick and thin of the main event! Hell you are in the main event of the biggest Super Card of the year wrestling for the top prize… If I didn’t know any better, I would say that you definitely forced them all to listen. You did that on your own.

By winning people now have to look at you in a very different way. They have to respect you and they damn sure have to acknowledge you. You showed the world that you could get by own merit. You are one of the smallest women on the roster but you have to have the biggest heart. Remember it’s not about the size of the dog in the fight but it’s about the size of the fight in that dog. You have carried on the legacy of the gym, MY GYM. Coby might deal with the financials behind the scenes but you are the FACE of that gym. So now it’s not just me that is proud of you but it’s every single student that comes through that door. Everybody looks up to you and you can’t let them down… You never let me down so why should you ever feel that others won’t be proud of you?!”

Diamond paces around as she just sighs in return.

“You want to know why Kris?! It’s because deep down all I see is that little girl that competed back in LAW… I was a world Champion but it’s not like I earned it. I was the only one left from a tournament. The company had no choice but to put a title on me because I happened to be there. I just want something that I can finally accomplish. Something where people can say that I finally have made it! That’s all I ever wanted…”

Kris nods his head grinning.

“So I am going to make this really clear Kate. If that’s how you really feel, then you know what you need to do. Just go out there and win…Hell look at your New York Jets. Did anybody in this country ever expect for them to be in a position where they could actually make the playoffs?! Hell did anybody expect your Mets to make the playoffs like they did this year?! Anything and I mean anything can happen on any given night, and that definitely includes with you winning the title. I know Masque might be intimidating. She seems to be a woman that puts fear into the heart of everybody that she goes against but here is the thing… You aren’t everybody else…

You are Kate Steele! You are the woman that defies odds and you live for moments like these. You strive to be that under dog and when you climb over that hurdle nobody could tell you that you don’t belong. I know you think finally overcoming Alicia Lukas this year is something that really makes people turn heads but there’s much more than that. You beat three solid contenders to get to where you are. YOU EARNED THIS MOMENT! You got the entire world watching so now is your chance Kate. This is the moment you been waiting for. So now you got them believing… But will you believe?!”

Kate keeps her eyes locked on Kris and she immediately walks around the table. She stands face to face as she yells at him.

“I DO BELIEVE…. I WILL BE THE CHAMPION… Nobody will stop me from fulfilling my dreams… You hear that Kris?! I will continue to give you a reason to be proud because I BELIEVE IN MYSELF!”

Kate continues to yell and that is when a voice calls out to her. Kate immediately opens her eyes and realizes that she really was sleeping the entire team. Her eyes are shifted to the figure that is hovering in front of her. It happens to be her former husband Teddy. He looks into her eyes as he sighs in return.

“Are you okay?! Who are you talking too?!”

She is taken back as she shrugs her shoulders in return.

“…I…. Where did Kris go?!”

Teddy backs up a few feet.

“…Kate Kris is dead… He has been dead… I don’t know what is going through your head but you were sleeping. You must have had a crazy dream, or considering you are sawing dead people it must have been a nightmare…”

Kate shrugs it off before she glares daggers into Teddy. She crosses her arms as she doesn’t lose sight of him.

“Anyway what are you doing here?! Last time I checked you did everything in your power to cause me to lose my child. You lied in front of a judge and did what you could to tarnish my name and take Juliet from me. What do you want?!”

Teddy takes a long deep breath as he nods his head.

“I know… I really wasn’t in a great place but I don’t think it had anything to do with you. I just didn’t know what I wanted. I was questioning my sexuality and have been trying to do everything in my power to figure out who I am as a person…”

“Ok… I can respect that but I still don’t understand why you are here right now. What do you want?! If you are looking for free tickets to the concert next Saturday, I am afraid that we are completely sold out. You lost your right to get anything from me the very moment you slept with another woman in our bed, and you ruined our marriage… So what do you want Teddy because I will let you know if I am in the mood to hear it or not…”

Teddy shakes his head as he sighs in return.

“I know I have made some mistakes in the past and I just wanted to come here and tell you that I am sorry. I know forgiveness won’t happen overnight but I want to be a better person. I can’t repair the wounds between us. I know you already moved on and got married again. I have accepted that… What I do want however is a chance to show Juliet that just because we are divorced doesn’t mean that we can’t do things together as her parents. I want to support you. I came to Vegas not just to watch you win the World Title but I want to support your concert…”

Diamond raises her eyes in return.

“Support the concert and how do you plan to do that exactly?!”

“I want to drum some songs with you. Hell I want to perform on stage with you. It will be like old times again what do you say?!”

Kate sits there thinking about it. All of a sudden the Gem Stones along with London Underground enter the room. Mackenzie looks over at Teddy before she turns her attention to Kate.

“Want me to remove him from the casino, because if he isn’t doing anything for the concert and is harassing you Charlie and I will take care of him…”

Kate shakes her head.

“That’s not needed… He’s actually performing on stage with me….Thank you for coming Teddy. Juliet will definitely enjoy seeing her parents performing with each other.”

Teddy just keeps his eyes locked on Kate. He can’t help but smile at her as this was what he wanted. Maybe he was getting the chance he wanted to be a good father… Kate really was in a good place, and she had a concert to worry about.

October 29th
Golden Ring Casino
Concert

The concert had been a complete success. The casino was completely sold out as Diamond Steele stood on the stage. The fans were cheering for an encore over and over again. She took a bow as she looked at everybody. She had tears in her eyes as she started to speak.

Kate: I just want to take this moment to really thank everybody for coming tonight. Honestly you all were able to raise about 100,000 pounds which is all going to go back to England to make a sizeable donation for the British Red Cross. I know the Queen is looking down on every single one of us. None of this would be possible without the help of all of you. Most importantly I also want to thank Kris Ryans for believing in me. He took a chance on me and it has definitely paid dividends.

She smiles as the entire crowd chants Kate over and over again.

Kate: I also want to really appreciate Roxi, Griffin, the Gem Stones, American Murder Log and so many others for volunteering for tonight. We love you Queen Elizabeth and may you forever rest in peace. I feel so honoured to have my middle name of Elizabeth because of you. This was for you your majesty…

The crowd begins to cheer louder and louder as she nods her head with a grin.

Kate: I know you didn’t think tonight was over because we also have something special lined up. In one short day I will be locking up with Masque and there are so many thoughts on my mind going into that match. I just thought it would be best to really share my heart as I have all of my special guests playing behind me. Is that okay for all of you?!

The crowd chants yes excitedly and it is at that moment where the Gem Stones come on stage as they begin to play Kate Steele’s old theme song of Monster by Paramore as the girls are really into it.

Ruby: SHE WILL STOP THE WHOLE WORLD, STOP THE WHOLE WORD FROM TURNING INTO A MONSTER… EATING US ALIVE!!!!!!!!

I can remember the very first day that I stepped foot inside of an SCW ring. I was casted out of another company and I was looking for a place where I could fit in and belong.  There were so many different companies and I definitely searched for a very long time. However SCW was that place that felt right to me, and more importantly than that it was the place that I felt to be home. It is where I feel alive and there is definitely no better place than that of being SCW.

Ever since I came to this company the end goal has always been the World Bombshell Championship. I remember watching some big names hold onto that championship. I watched people like Evie Jordan, Alicia Lukas, and so many others wrestle for that title. They gave everything they had plus more.
user posted image