Author Topic: Between a rock and a hard place  (Read 820 times)

Offline HBCarter

• The Hardcore Bottom
    • View Profile
    • Sin City Wrestling
Between a rock and a hard place
« on: October 14, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »
The GO Gym -
Las Vegas

You know the place, or at least you should. Given the reputation is academy of future champions holds in Sin City Wrestling, one would not be easily forgiven for not recognizing the established reputation of this training facility. Having pumped out such esteemed personalities such as Evie Jordan, Fenris and Krystal Wolfe, the GO Gym has a reputation for not being only one of the best academies of professional wrestling, but also one of the strictest. Not only is it difficult to be accepted as a student, but once you are, you are held in high regard and are expected to maintain that reputation even after graduation. Many men and women who have passed through these hallowed halls continue to return to keep their brain skills sharp, as the proprietors Gabriel and Odette Stevens believe that you only stop being one of their kids when you retire. And even then it is called into question.

One factor that has spelled out so much of their success was how they were able to tailor training regimes towards each prospective student. A super heavyweight could not logically be trained properly by someone who weighed under 200 lb and vice versa. Gabriel and Odette recognized this fact and accommodated for it. They both possessed many friends in the business, former students and not, who they regularly employed to come in and assist them when needed.

Which was why it such an odd sight to see that Carter was currently involved in a training session in one of the two rings against a member of the London Underground faction, the gargantuan Osbourne. The Silent Sentinel dwarfed Carter by over six inches and a hundred pounds of rock hard muscle.

Gabriel called from the corner of the ring where he stood watching over both men, silently critiquing both, "Come on Carter! You're not supposed to let him get hold of you! That's the whole point of this exercise!"

Osbourne slung the diminutive Carter up as it for a scoop slam, but the smaller man slid out of the larger man's grasp and ended up on his back like a monkey, legs wrapped around his other body and his arms wrapped around his tree trunk neck.

"That's easy for you to say!" Carter called out from his unique predicament. "He has half the ring cut off without even trying!"

Gabriel cannot help but chuckle at the awkward truth of the situation that he had put his student in. In fact, another one of his students that had taken a break from the free weights, and Carter's closest friend, Ariana Angelos, found herself at her mentors side, watching her friend in the six-sided ring.

Gabriel saw her from the corner of his eyes and smirked, "Tempest actually let you take a break from the weights?"

"Yeah I think she just wanted to call someone enough to get a look at Osbourne shirtless." Ari quipped. "Gabriel? Do you mind if I ask why you have Carter training with Osbourne? You usually train with him yourself or with Despy."

"Well the situation our boy's in this time around is slightly different." Gabriel observed. "I'm training in the same way I did when he was down in SCU at the Combat Champion. The roulette division and combat divisions are similar so I want to make sure he's ready for anything Miles or the division can throw at him."

A moments pause while watching the tussle inside of the ring, Gabriel quietly asked, "His boyfriend is out of the country this week, isn't he?"

"Mm hm." Ariana nodded. "He's in Canada for a photo shoot. Why?"

"No real reason." Gabriel shrugged. "I just can't help but notice he seems to be mostly back to his old self without his boyfriend around me."

"Yeah my bestie seem to have his spunk back. I'm so happy!" Ari smiled as inside of the ring, Carter let go of Osbourne and dropped to his feet behind him, wrapping his arms around him from behind and running his hands over his muscled upper torso. Osbourne IMMEDIATELY started struggling to get free of this touchy feely spot while Gabriel's brow rose.

"Yeah I'm not too sure Osbourne shares your sentiment."

Well! Speak of the Devil!

That’s what we would be saying as at that very moment, right outside of the Gym, the entrance door opens and in steps the man himself just recently spoken of, Carter’s boyfriend Lazarus. He glances around with skeptical eyes, obviously taken in just as many others had been in the past with the misleading exterior that some have compared to a grunge warehouse when the REAL ‘magic’ took place inside. He set foot into the air conditioned hall of the lobby and walked through until he came upon the front desk which was manned by Despayre who’s eyes were glued onto the computer screen in front of him and the airing of the latest episode of She-Hulk Attorney At Law. Lazarus looked around, then at this unusual site and he slowly approached the front desk.

“Excuse me…” Lazarus started to say when Despayre, being Despayre, simply said, “I accept your apology.” Bringing Lazarus to a confused silence as something on the screen caused Despayre to jump back in his seat and cover his mouth with both hands.

“Does your boss know you’re watching TV on the clock?” Lazarus asked with a frown, judging this book by its proverbial cover, but not one to turn away an innocent enough gauntlet, Despayre turned his attention from the show to the guest in Gabriel and Odette’s lobby and answered, “I’m not watching TV. I’m looking at my laptop.” Before he turned back to what he was doing before. Lazarus, his impatience growing, rolled his eyes and asked, “This is the GO Gym, right?”

“Right-a-roonie!” Despayre declared with a smile, taking his cue to do the VERY important job that Gabriel and Odette bestowed upon him as he clocked the pause button and now turned to Lazarus and clasped his hands on the desk, trying to look all businesslike. “Are you here to apply or start your training?”

Lazarus scoffed, a frown on his face, “No! I’m here to see someone.”

“Oh.” Despayre went to turn away from him. “Never mind then.”

“Never mi-?” Lazarus was a little lost, clearly not knowing who Despayre was or anything about him or his personality quirks. “What do you mean ‘never mind’? Can I go in or not?”

“Nope.”

Lazarus looked around at the emptiness of the lobby and assumed from the sight before him that they weren’t busy so he held his arms out and wondered aloud, “Why not?”

“Because Odette and Gabriel say so.” Despayre declared, citing a long standing rule of the Stevens that their gym remains private and not for public display or entertainment. “And because you’re not a student.”

“Stop talking about this place like it’s a college, okay?” Lazarus said snottily. “I’m dating one of the…” **air quotes** “students here anyway!”

“You are?” Despayre turns back to look him over briefly before resuming his stance. “Wow. Tempest really lowered her standards on this one.”

“I am not dating someone named…” Lazarus started to say when Despy’s words really caught his attention, both his ego and temper suddenly flaring, “What do you mean ‘lowered her standards’!?” He shook his head, “You know what? Forget this!”

And straight away, Lazarus marched toward the double doors that led to the GO Gym’s interior, determined to get inside when suddenly he found Despayre standing in front of him, arms spread wide to better block his path.

“You can’t go in!” He declared, determined to do his and Angel’s duty, but Lazarus was having none of that. The hot-headed male model who was used to getting his way tilted his head back and sighed before he looked down at Despayre who stood a good few inches shorter than him.

Lazarus smiled in a cool, sinister way and said, “Don’t make me move you physically little man… oh what the hell?” And he suddenly put a hand on Despayre’s arm and shoved him aside roughly and reached for the door…

When suddenly from inside of the Gym, all heads turned as all hell seemed to break loose from just outside of the doors to the lobby! The heads of Gabriel, Odette, Tempest, Carter, Ariana and Osbourne spun around in silent alarm…

“What the hell…?” Gabriel started to say when he took off for the doors with all present right on his heels! Gabriel grabbed the doors and shoved them wide open and came to such a fast halt that the others almost bowled him over from behind! Their eyes looked down and came upon the comical sight of…

“GET OFF OF ME GODDAMNIT!!!” Lazarus shouted from where he was pinned face and chest first on the floor with Despayre sitting on the back of his head, holding him in a double hammerlock! Lazarus’s legs kicked but he was effectively subdued. “YOU’RE HURTING ME!!!”

“Despy!” Gabriel called out. “What’s going on!?”

Despayre looked up and his face immediately brightened from the situation and he answered, “He started it! He tried to force his way in!”

“He…” Carter started to ask when he got a closer look at who Despayre was restraining physically and he was mortified, “Lazarus!!”

“Lazarus…?” Gabriel started, then turned to Ariana who stood just off his side, who looked pale at the sight of Carter’s alleged abuser. He gave her a questioning gaze and she answered silently with a nod to both Stevens who returned their attention to the situation before them.

“Get OFF him…!” Carter bellowed, storming forward when Osbourne’s grip tightened on his arm, knowing full well what the ramifications would be if he laid a hand on Despy, even to get him off of his boyfriend. Carter turned to Osbourne, “Let go…”

“Despy…” Odette spoke up, giving the little guy an assuring nod. “It’s okay. You can let him go.”

That was all he had to hear as Despayre let go of Lazarus’s arms and rolled off of his back, jumping to his feet and taking his dutiful spot right in front of Gabriel, his best friend and ‘big brother’. Carter was immediately at his boyfriend’s side and helped him to his feet, Lazarus’s normally handsome face filled with humiliation and anger as Carter tried to comfort him and ask, “Are you alright?”

To which Lazarus shrugged his hands off of his arms and shouted, “Do I LOOK alright!?” He turned and pointed a finger at Despayre and snarled, “I should sue you! I should call the police and have you arrested!”

“For what exactly?” Gabriel asked with skepticism, disliking this young man almost immediately. “Despy here said that you tried to force your way into our Gym.”

“That’s a lie!” Lazarus declared, causing Despayre to gasp, wide eyed, at the audacity. “I was just here to surprise Carter!”

“And for that Despy roughed you up?” Odette asked, a frown of her own to match her husband’s.

“I didn’t!” Despayre swore, crossing his heart as he turned to her, pleading. It was not needed as Odette simply nodded, patting him on the arm to assure him that they believed him.

Lazarus blinked, “So are you calling me a liar?”

“I would NEVER say that!” Despayre said simply. He then turned his head to look up at Gabriel and he added, “He is, but I wouldn’t say it.” Causing Osbourne to snort back a laugh but he quickly smothered it with a hand.

“Let me tell you something… Lazarus, is it?” Gabriel spoke up, a warning tone behind his words. “First of all, there’s a simple fact I learned over the past several years.”

“Which is?” Lazarus rolled his eyes, showing his disrespect almost immediately.

“Despy doesn’t lie.” Gabriel stated simply, and Despayre stuck his tongue out at Lazarus from his side. Then Gabriel continued, “Also, take no chances in business.” He pointed up, causing all heads to look up and spot the small but distinctive security cameras installed in each of the lobby’s four corners. All heads turned back down and stared ahead at Lazarus who glared at Gabriel to Despayre and back again.

Odette then added, “I think you need to leave.”

“I have a right to be here…” Lazarus started to say when Gabriel interrupted, “Wrong. This is a private business on private property! Which is why WE could not only call the police on YOU for trespassing, but I’m willing to bet if we gave them the security footage, for assaulting Despy here!”

“Yeah!” Despayre added just because, jetting his chin out at Lazarus as if to say, “So there!” without actually saying it.

“So you don’t trust me.” Lazarus stated simply, more of a statement than a question.

“No offense,” Gabriel answered. “But I wouldn’t trust you as far as I could throw you.” He then blinked and turned to address the amazon Tempest who was standing just behind the Stevens, almost protectively. Her eyes had not left Lazarus from the moment she set foot in the lobby and Gabriel asked her, “How far do you think you can throw him?”

“Where’s your property line?” She asked, her eyes burning into Lazarus who appeared alarmed, his confident demeanor shaken. Lazarus shook his head,
Fine! This place sucks anyway!”

He turned to walk toward the exit when he paused to look at his boyfriend, “You coming or not?”

All heads turned now to  Carter who seemed to desperately want to shrink back into nothing as he felt absolutely torn apart - like he was being pulled in two completely opposite directions. He looked at Gabriel’s expectant gaze, and at Ariana's caring, worried one, before he looked at Lazarus before ultimately…

“I’ll get my bag.” he turned and walked toward the Gym doors, when Odette spoke up, “Carter, your session isn’t finished.” Giving him pause as his hand reached for the door. He then started to move again, grabbing the door handle and this time it was Gabriel speaking up, but not his friend or mentor, a man he looked up to. It was the businessman, the proprietor of the GO Gym who spoke.

“Carter.” he said simply, calmly, which should have been enough warning. “If you walk away from this session, you’re suspended until further notice!”

Carter started, then turned his head and he looked fearful at Gabriel whose own countenance remained passive, all eyes staring at the young man. Carter glanced around, then back to Gabriel and the fear flickered away and he turned and shoved the doors open to get his things…

Lazarus smiling with satisfaction behind them.

“You know what’s funny? All of the people that are closest to me, from family to friends, have always told me that I never seem to be at a loss at knowing just what to say in any given situation. Now I don’t know if that means they think I’m witty or a smart ass, whether it’s a compliment or a bit of a hidden dig that I need to watch myself and what I say. But I can admit that it’s not entirely true, especially where Miles Kasey is concerned.”

“You see Miles, I hope you understand the difficult position that you’ve put me in. And yes I know what I said and no, I didn’t mean it the way it came out. Just a happy coincidence I guess. What I mean is, it’s usually very easy to know what to say when we’re expected to shoot these promos in regards to our matches and our opponents. You come in, talk a little trash, throw a few insults around and boom! Say you’re going to kick some ass and win and call it a day. But with you, Miles? It’s not so easy a thing to accomplish because I can’t say any of those things where you’re concerned. I don’t hate you. I don’t even mildly dislike you. Truth be told, I am actually quite fond of you and again, I know what I said. I would go on record and say that Miles ranks right up there with names like Ben Jordan and Candy as being the nicest people in SCW. You’re one of those rare gems that doesn’t take long to warm up to someone or a person who is comfortable enough in their own skin that you mind  them being exactly who they are. In fact, you seem to encourage it. You find someone even in a highly competitive sport like wrestling that you like and call a friend, you don’t abandon them. Ever. Do you have any idea just how rare of an occurrence that is in this day and age where everybody seems to look out only for themselves and being concerned with number one?”

“But that’s you, Miles, and that’s why I just don’t know what I’m supposed to say going into this match against you for the third time. Things haven’t exactly taken off for me the way that I had hoped. Sure I got a couple good wins against you and Bulldog, but lately…? I don’t know. I just haven’t been the same me that I’m used to being. I don’t know what’s wrong and I don’t know how to correct it. But I’m hoping that when we have our tie-breaking rubber match, that the third time is the charm and not only do I break this slump that I’m in, but I win my first SCW championship. The Roulette division in SCW is a lot like the Combat division was in SCU, and I am pretty proud to admit that I surprised a LOT of people by how well I was able to handle myself in such a division.”

“You see Miles, I’m not like guys like you or Ben or Mac Bane. I’m me. Everything you see in front of you is who I am, and I can admit from experience that it’s not easy growing up when you’re … me. I can fight, but I didn’t have much choice. I wouldn’t give anyone the satisfaction of curling up into a ball. I can fight because I had to, growing up. So whatever the roulette calls for us on Sunday? I can handle it. It’s you that I worry about. This is the third time we’ve met, and we each walked away with a win. Third time we’ve met, and this one is for the championship.”

“Third time is the charm, Miles. Good luck.”

"The bravest thing you can be is yourself."