Author Topic: Opportunity  (Read 648 times)

Offline Max Burke

• GRIME World Nightmare Champion
  • Match Writers
    • View Profile
Opportunity
« on: June 24, 2022, 11:01:05 PM »
Tuesday, June 21 2022
Las Vegas, Nevada
Max Burke’s Condo

As I sit here enjoying a bowl of maple and brown sugar oatmeal with a cup of coffee before I head out for my morning run, I can’t deny that I’m extremely lucky to have this opportunity fall into my lap. This is another opportunity to test myself against the best that this company has to offer. Talk about an opponent change though...

Max: What a crazy couple of days. Last Sunday, at the end of the night I was standing over the lifeless body of our World Champion, Matthew Knox. Needless to say, when I looked down at my phone Monday morning to see Mark calling the last thing I expected was the words that came out of his mouth next.

Let’s rewind to Monday morning, I don’t even remember how early it was, but it was stupid early. The sun was barely up. Who calls someone this early? My phone starts vibrating on the hotel nightstand. I reluctantly answer instead of letting it go to voicemail to give myself time to wake up. Mark Ward does not call at this time of the day unless it’s important. It was...

Mark Ward: Good mornin’ sunshine. How’s my favorite Canuck?

Max: Asleep.

Mark Ward: Apologies Max. Got a bit of a situation on our hands.

Max: Oh, you know it’s fine. Is that so? What’s going on?

Mark Ward: Well, it’s a bad news better news for you situation.

Max: Okay, I’m awake now. I’m listening. Hit me with it.

Mark Ward: The Troll’s out. Food poisoning.

Max: Shit. That’s not good. You said better news for me. Guessing you were able to book a replacement for me. Appreciate that.

Mark Ward: You’re getting a title shot.

Max: You’re adding me to the Roulette match. That works.

Mark Ward: Nope.

Wait what?

Max: Okay, I’m sitting up now. Go on.

Mark Ward: It was a moment of the stars aligning. Knox called. He wants to defend this week. Time for you to give The Troll a call and thank him profusely for his shitty week.

Max: Matthew Knox? The same Matthew Knox that you and I scraped onto a stretcher last night? Our world champion wants to defend his championship after what happened last night?

Mark Ward: That’s what he said. He’s a fighting champion. You can’t knock that.

Max: No you cannot. Not the news I was expecting, but you know me. I’m damn well not going to turn it down. 

Mark Ward: I knew you wouldn’t, and couldn’t.

Max: Well, I guess it’s time to get my ass out of bed and get to work. 

Mark Ward: That it is. I’ll let you get to it. Enjoy your day.

Max: You too Mark. Appreciate the call. You two know I’ll give him hell. Thanks for the opportunity.

Mark Ward: You’ve been really putting in the work since you’ve come back. You’ve held your own against everyone. It’s our pleasure. See you this weekend.

Max: Cheers Mark. I owe you and Christian a drink.

Mark Ward: And you know I’m not turning that down.

Max: See you Sunday boss.

Thursday, June 23 2022
Las Vegas, Nevada

Max: Hi champ. I want to get this out of the way right out of the gate. Thanks.  Listen, we both know that this isn’t the smartest move. We peeled you off that desk. There is a huge difference between wanting to be a fighting champion, and being a smart champion. Calling the bosses, and demanding you defend your championship after what you went through less than 24 hours after what you went through is not your most educated moment Matthew. You have every right to take this week off. Hell, go out there and cut a promo if you want. But, you didn’t do that. As luck may have it, my calendar opened up thanks to an unfortunate event that has caused The Troll to pull out of our match this week. Shit happens.

Food poisoning is no joke. Been there. Done that. Hopefully never again. Horrible flashbacks flood my mind. Focus.

Max: You’re a hell of a champion Mr. Knox. You’ve got this industry by the balls at the moment don’t you? You’ve also been running quite the schedule haven’t you? It’s the classic burning of the candles at both ends. It’s eventually going to catch up to you. It caught up to Mac. You’ve had a hell of a last few weeks. I’ll be honest, we’ve both had quite the last few weeks. Trust me, I don’t ever want to have another shock collar strapped on me. Nope. Never again. Not a fan at all of that. So yeah, we’re both walking into Sunday night far from 100%. That’s the fun of it though. Adapting to the conditions, and your opponent. I’ve been pushing myself over the past couple of weeks since coming up short against Alexander Raven. I’ve had a solid run since coming back to SIn City Wrestling, but it hasn’t been perfect. Far from it. This bullshit with Vinnie and The Barnharts has been keeping me busy. Just a few weeks ago I put Bill Barnhart to sleep. What I need to focus on is what my focus was when I was making my way to the finals of this year’s Blast From The Past... reminding myself and everyone that I step in there with that I can hang with the best that Sin City Wrestling has to offer. Sunday night I have an opportunity to challenge for the Sin City Wrestling World Championship. These opportunities don’t come along every day. I know that. We all know that. Especially for me. This opportunity is about timing. Shitty for The Troll. Good for me. I’ll take it. The most important thing to remember when you do get that call is to leave it all in the middle of the ring.

You need to show them you’re a viable threat. He’s going to look past you just like everyone else. You need to show him, just like everyone before him. It’s a different ballgame when they’re being stretched by you.

Max: I can guarantee each and every one of you right now, especially you Mr. Knox that I will give you the fight that you’re looking for this week. You wanted to defend your championship. You may regret that decision. You need to be honest with yourself. I’m shocked you’re medically cleared to complete. Have you even chatted with our medical team yet? I’m going to take a stab in the dark, and say that’s a big fat no. So, we may be jumping the gun here a bit. I’m going to temper my excitement for this championship opportunity until that bell rings on Sunday. I don’t even know if you’re going to make it to our match. I’m being realistic here. Until I hear Tom Waits, and you walk down that aisle I’m going to be optimistic, but I’m not going to be shocked if they don’t clear you. So, I’m going to cross my fingers, and hope I still have a championship opportunity this Sunday. I’m coming to fight you. I’m going to make you work for this one champ.