Author Topic: BFTP - "Foresight"  (Read 585 times)

Offline Mac

• View Profile
BFTP - "Foresight"
« on: February 04, 2022, 04:59:07 PM »
“In action be primitive; in foresight, a strategist”. - Ed Koch

Blast From the Past Week 1

{The Bane Home - Las Vegas, NV - “Mistakes To Correct”}
[6:45 A.M. Monday Morning]
[Off-Camera]

I looked like shit and I knew it, but I didn’t care at the moment. What Matt had revealed to the world the night before had absolutely rocked me to my core. I had honestly not seen this coming. “That masked fuck; I’m going to hurt that motherfucker” is all I had thought about in the last twelve to fifteen hours. My coffee had been long gone, I stared at the empty cup and wished it had a refill feature that took care of itself. “Fuck self driving cars, give me a coffee cup that automatically refills itself. That would be a great use of tech.”  I got out of my chair and made my way to the kitchen, trying to be quiet and not wake Amber, but at my size that was tough to do. I’m not someone who walks with a light step to begin with. I hadn’t slept at all so this morning I poured myself black coffee. I grabbed a fresh pack of cigarettes to take on the back patio with me. I had been so infuriated after reading what Knox had said on Twitter I hadn’t even grabbed my jacket the last time. I corrected that this time as my head was becoming more clear. I shut the door quietly behind me and eased back into the chair. I shook my head in disgust and maybe even some disdain as I exhaled forcefully.

“What a fucking mess, Mac, how do you get yourself into these situations?” I mused quietly to myself. I stared into the fire of the firepit, feeling it’s warmth like I was feeling it for the first time in the hours that I had been out here. I set my coffee cup down gently and then picked up the pack of smokes. Dragging one out from the pack, I lit the cigarette. Exhaling slowly as I reached out and got my coffee cup. I wasn’t sure if it was the nicotine or the coffee, but the cloud of confusion was wiped away within moments. Now the rage was starting to come back, that feeling of righteous fury. I could feel it burning behind my eyes first then I could feel it coursing through my veins as if it had a mind of its own and was trying to consume me totally. “They say that hindsight is a bitch, but foresight seems unattainable at times.” I said it in a voice that seemed alien to me, as if it was said by someone else. Another drag from my cigarette as I leaned back into the chair, looking for comfort that just didn’t exist. That epiphany didn’t bring me down, quite the opposite, it fueled me. That feeling, I knew, would fuel me into action. It wouldn’t allow me to rest until I had made a statement at someone else's expense.

“Supreme Machine, I’m going to wreck you. I don’t give a fuck if there’s anything left for Corvid to pick through.” my anger simmering again. “I warned you not to do things like this, but you did it anyway. This was not helpful in what I’ve been trying to achieve.” I finally fell quiet and concentrated on my coffee and cigarette. Taking the last drag off my smoke, I exhaled slowly releasing everything into the universe, producing smoke rings in the dark. I could feel eyes on me and I looked over at the doorway. Amber stood there for only a moment before ducking back inside. I sigh a weary sigh, I could feel the long night catching up with me. More and more she had been avoiding me, it was clear that she didn’t want to talk about anything outside of small talk. Marriage was so much more than that, so I was going to try and explain that to her. I got up and grabbed my coffee cup and went back in through the french doors she had just ducked back through and made my way to the kitchen first. I refilled my cup with coffee as black as my soul and proceeded to her favorite place in this house. The dining room was a small room just off the kitchen. I could hear her readjust in the chair she sat in, likely tucking her right leg underneath her.

As expected, that is the way I found her sitting. She seemed very anxious about being in the same room with me. So, I took a chair that was a good distance from her. “There are a few things I need to tell you,” I started off. I paused to see what kind of reaction I might get and watched as she played with her wedding ring kind of without thought or intention. I had seen women in troubled marriages do this many times. There was a manilla envelope on the bar, I grabbed that and opened it. As I opened it she said to me, “When are you going to do something about Suma?” She said it to me in a flat tone, I knew she was trying to keep her tone neutral and it had just come out wrong. So, instead of replying in an angry fashion, I did just the opposite. “My dear, I didn’t know you cared,” I responded in a happy voice. That got her attention, it was the wrong way for me to do that but I proceeded to lay out the pictures of Del Gado’s thugs on the table. She saw their faces, and probably had nightmares since the garage had been burned down.

“I have a question for you,” I said to her as I picked up one of the pictures. The blood had now completely drained from her face. I ripped up the picture of the guy who had taken his own life. “We don’t need to worry about him anymore, he’s a non factor.” I said politely and in a friendly manner. “My question for you, my love, is when were you planning on telling me about Del Gado’s son trying to kill you?” I waited for her response, the color started to come back to her face now as she became angry. “Before you lose your temper, I wanted you to know that I declared war on one of the most powerful families on the east coast after the garage burned.” She slumped back in her chair as I took another sip of coffee. “That’s the reason I thought that I was to blame for the garage burning. See, I had been helping investigate them. I intentionally sold the ranch in Texas to them because I knew they had a specific purpose in mind for it.” Another sip of coffee. “They are smuggling people into the states and using that property for the sake of human trafficking.” While she stared at the floor I decided that was enough. “That’s everything I wanted to say,” I finally said and I just sat there waiting for her to respond. I sat back in the chair and casually maneuvered it away from the table so that she wouldn’t feel anymore trapped than she already did. “I’m going to get a refill of coffee, would you like some?” I did not wait for a response as I got up. I went ahead and grabbed a cup for her since I saw she didn’t have any.

I brought her a cup full of black coffee and set it in front of her. I went back to my chair and sat down and waited. After a few awkward moments, she picked up her coffee and sipped from it. She finally looked up at me for the first time. “I will not be talked to like I’m some kind of fucking criminal.” she said in the most even but toxic way that she could, words full of venom without yelling is an artform and my wife is a pro. “Maybe you should focus on how the Saviors are not saving anyone and leave me the fuck alone.” With that, she stood up, grabbed her cup of coffee and headed for the bedroom. I didn’t chase her, I’m not stupid, with a sigh and a grunt I stood up and headed for the back door. Stepping out on the back patio again, it felt warmer than what I just went through in the house.

Fade.

{Unnamed Studio - Las Vegas NV - “Revisiting the past”}

I step up in front of the camera, the operator zooming out to capture a full scale image of me. Wearing a new CCPE Mac Bane t-shirt, blue jeans, black boots and hair down and flowing freely I begin.

Blast from the past once again. The time of year that we in Sin City Wrestling both love and hate at the same time. We love it because this tournament has always been an exciting time in the company. Men and women in this company working together towards being able to cash in a title shot.

I smile, remembering my run last year.

Last year, I was partnered up with Myra Rivers. She was a damn good partner, despite some of the things that I said about her. This year though? God damn, you talk about the perfect partner for me. Mikah, otherwise known as Mark Ward’s favorite. To me, that’s one hell of an upgrade in partners. There is one person who would be the ideal partner for me in this thing and y’all dodged a bullet again this year. That is my wife and reigning Bombshell Champion. So, that being said, count your blessings.

Last year was my first experience in this tournament, and honestly I learned a lot. I learned a lot about myself and the opposition. There is no low that people in this tournament won’t stoop to in order to win it.

I hold the world title up and allow that predatory smile to bloom. I feel the righteous fury shining in my eyes.

Because it’s about this. This and the bombshell counterpart. People are so desperate to add a world title to their resume that they will risk everything. If they are a champion in this company, their title can go on the line without warning. That’s what you see in Amber’s main event match.

I lay the title on my shoulder, securing it from sliding.

Much like last year when Myra was the internet champion. It was on the line many times during the tournament. For Mikah, that won’t be the case, her partner is not even in the tournament. I have a ton of respect for Ryans, but maybe after this thing is over, she’ll change her mind about who her favorite tag team partner is.

I wink at the camera, chuckling softly and shaking my head.

I’m kidding of course, I don’t think anything short of divine intervention could change her mind about that.

Fade

{Local Radio Station - Las Vegas Nevada - “Keeping up the facade”}
[9:00 AM Thursday]

I sat there with a grim smile on my face as I waited for the on air personality to come get me from the waiting area of the station. This was the same shit stain that tried to get my wife to answer some personal questions. “They’re ready for you Mister Bane,” the receptionist said to me, breaking me from my reverie,” She said politely. I nodded and stood up as the DJ came out of the studio. Standing at my full height, I towered over him as we shook hands. “Come on into the studio, if that’s okay?” I nodded my head and with a grunt I followed him into the studio. They brought in coffee and snacks. I helped myself to the coffee. “Well, not as good as Kat’s but still pretty good.” I smiled as I sipped. He kind of gave me a side eye look as I said that, which caused me to chuckle quietly to myself.

“Now then, what is on your agenda of questions to ask me?” I waited for his response, still smiling around the cup of coffee. “Oh, you  know, the usual. Just the things that the wrestling fans want to know.” I smirked in response, “you mean the shit you think you can collect and sell to online publications or other varieties of dirt sheets.” I said in a retort. He didn’t even flinch, “ I have done that in the past, yes.” I raise my cup in salute, “At least your honest about being a dick.” He returned the gesture, “Same”. He thought he was being cute and really had no idea how short my fuse is or how close he was to me kicking his ass. “Shall we begin?” He didn’t wait long as he turned our microphones on and he pressed the button to play the pre-recorded message for this interview. As we waited for it to finish playing, I could feel the set of my jaw tighten and the righteous furry starting to build behind my eyes. I slid the headset on so I could hear everything. I knew his type he would likely start off with personal questions. “So Mac, welcome to the show, and thank you so much for taking time with us today.” He paused so I could respond. “Of course, I’m always glad to take time to talk to the media and the fans.” He nodded along with my expected politically correct answer. “So, then fans are dying to know what the status of your marriage to Amber Ryan is. Are you guys doing alright, any issues at all?” There it was, the same shit he tried to pull with Amber.

“No”, was my one word answer. He seemed confused at first and then I followed that up with, “Do you see this wedding ring on my finger, chief?” Holding up my left hand. “I see it, so what?” I smirked at him, “So what, indeed. You see this is the one thing that means more to me than all the titles and money in the world. The reason I said no, is because your question was inappropriate and out of line.” While the recording for the break was playing, he was fuming at my answer. “People in this town are clamoring for any information they can get on the “Golden Couple” of SCW and yet you guys won’t give them what they want. “That’s because this is our lives, we don’t have to reveal anything to anyone. Period.” When we came out of the break, we continued with the interview. He stuck to wrestling based questions, and I didn’t try to hurt him. We said nothing else as I exited the studio. One of the maintenance crew happened to walk by, and he must have recognized me and darted from the lobby.

“I wonder what’s gotten into Stan,” the receptionist mentioned casually. I shrugged, “Maybe he has a guilty conscience about something.” I winked at her as I made my way through the door he just disappeared into. I started climbing up the stairwell pausing every once in a while to listen. I could hear him running up the stairs, likely to the rooftop. I took my time walking up the stairs. I could hear him shout down at me, “No, no, no I know why you’re here!” I looked up to see him staring down the stairwell at me. All the blood was drained from his face, he was terrified and rightly so. “What’s wrong Stan? Have you run out of zipties?” To my surprise, instead of continuing up the stairs he started down the stairs, with a screwdriver in hand. “Why do they always choose violence?” I stopped where I was. He continued toward me, “I know you had something to do with Jerry’s “suicide”, and now you’ve come for me.” He shook his head and each additional step he took was a trembling one. I leveled my gaze on him, “I guess he chose hell over prison.” I said it in such a nonchalant way that it even surprised me. He lunged at me with the screwdriver and I easily sidestepped the terrified man, and gibs smacked him on his way by me. It wasn’t done in a playful manner and knocked him a little loopy. He dropped the screwdriver and clutched his head with both hands.

“You see Stan. I’m not going to kill you, quite the opposite actually. How much did Del Gado pay you?” He looked up at me, now with a hopeful look in his eyes for the first time since he saw me. “He..uh…paid us each five grand.” He stammered as he said it. I nodded and grunted as I took a seat on the bottom step. “Five grand, so that’s what he thinks my wife's life is worth, is it?” He nodded his head in rapid succession, “I’m sorry, I’m so so sorry” he said as his eyes welled up with tears. “Me too Stanly, me too.” I stood up and started down the stairs, “Oh, Stanly I want you to call Dominick and let him know that I’m coming for him.” I pulled out a wad of bills and tossed it to him. “If I were you, I’d disappear, the family is not very forgiving and cares little about disposable people.”

Fade.

{Unnamed Studio - Las Vegas NV - “Revisiting the past Part 2”}

Still in the Studio from the previous view, having finished talking about the past, I focus on the present.

Sierra Williams; truly one of the best bombshells, especially when it comes to the Mixed Tag World Championships. She and Lachland Kane, one hundred seventy-five days as mixed world tag team champs. She’s not getting to team with him though for this tournament. I would be very concerned if that was the case. They were an amazing team, no doubts about it and definitely no backhanded compliments from me. Who she does have as a partner has been very impressive in SCU. Her Partner for blast from the past is Joshua Acquin. A man who has held tag team gold and SCU underground champion. An impressive pairing, no doubt about that. See, just because someone works for Sin City Underground doesn’t mean I’m willing to belittle that and make light of the entire body of work.

I shift my world title belt to a more comfortable position on my shoulder.

The other thing I won’t do is just blow off the female competitor like I’ve seen so many other competitors do. Just because I won’t be in the ring with her doesn’t mean that she doesn’t matter. I did make that mistake last year but I am always determined not to make the same mistake twice. This is part of the reason that Myra and I made it to the finals but couldn’t close it out.

I look at the title on my shoulder and smile.

I’ve always hated being a runner up in anything, that is the reason that I pushed so hard last year after this tournament. I was embarrassed in losing to Mark Cross. I was angry that he won the world title and that I wasn’t involved in that match. So, what did I do? After he won the title, I won the internet title. I challenged him to a title versus title match and won this title.

Feeling the righteous fury coursing in my veins and the predatory smile return…

How is this year different? Oh, it’s very different. Look at my partner for this thing. A major upgrade in every way, like myself she’s not afraid to do what’s necessary in order to win.

I only take a momentary pause as I continue down that train of thought.

Joshua, are you and Sierra ready to risk it all? I know you’ve got a personality and philosophy similar to my own. Can she support that? Can your tag team partner have your back when you start doing shady shit?
I wink at the camera and take the belt off my shoulder and hold it in front of me, chest high. I do this so the name on the plate is visible.

Will you do whatever it takes? To try and take this from me?

I shake my head while chuckling softly to myself.

I don’t think so, chief. I don’t think you’ve got the balls or the stamina for the assignment. These are all just words though, prove me wrong kid. Just like I’ve proven them wrong when I reclaimed this title.

Fade.

{Somewhere in Nevada - “Monsters”}
[Friday - Noon]

The gears were spinning in my mind, Suma was a problem, a big problem. At no point in my career had I ever tried or even thought of trying to hurt someone’s family. There are certain boundaries that one should never cross. What he did to Knox’s family was inexcusable. There was only one thing that Suma would ever understand, violence for bad behavior. Dominick was still out for the time being. The injury he suffered at the hands of Alexander Raven. When I pulled the trigger on this it would be down to Ken, myself and Kat. I was okay with that, Suma was one of those nice to haves in the numbers game but easily replaceable with someone who played by my rules and doesn’t go rogue. I picked up the phone to call Ken but he must have been feeling it too and that’s when my phone started to ring.

“Hey Brother,” I began as he started to speak. “This Supreme Machine thing,” he began and I cut him off, “Ends at the next show.” I could almost hear him smile as he responded, “Old school?” Then I smiled, “It’s the best way after all.” There was a long pause then he asked the question I was expecting, “What’s the deal with Kat?” he asked it in a very serious but concerned way. “She’s evolving,” I said and then quickly appended it, “Whether it will be good or bad I’m not sure of. I know this is something she needs. I think even more importantly, I think she needs our support.” he didn’t pause at all, “Then she’ll have it and we’ll keep an eye on her in case she decides to pull a Suma.” His side closed out the call and I stood there for a moment, kinda stunned. I don’t think that she has that in her but all things are possible. I had committed to being in attendance at TPW’s main event as he took on Pete Vaugn tonight. That is where stage one of the plan would begin.

Stage two would happen Monday night at Climax Control. I needed to figure out when though. Maybe I’d discuss that with Ken later, or with the boys at the show tonight. Strategy was everything in these game changing events. It would definitely start moving the needle in the right direction. Now I had to head to the airport, maybe I could figure out a way to save my marriage and my wife. It was obvious to me that she had lost her grip on reality. I don’t go around second guessing myself, I said what I said. End of story as far as I was concerned. My phone began to ring again, I recognized the number. “That didn’t take long.” So, I slid the bar over to accept the call and put it on speaker. “What’s up little deal?” There was a pause before he said anything. “Mister Bane, you and I should talk.” Dominick Del Gado finally said. I barked a laugh, “Getting a little uncomfortable isn’t it.” “In person Mr. Bane.” I paused for a moment, “How many men with zip ties will you be bringing with you? I want to make sure that I’m bringing the appropriate number of bullets.” The next voice was deeper and older, “Senor, please stop with the sarcasm, this is very serious ground we are covering. I have killed men for less than you have done.”

“Senor Del Gado, I have killed men just for wearing the wrong uniform all over the world. Don’t you dare threaten me old man, I am not in the fucking mood.” Then silence as they hung up from their end.

Fade.

{The Cox Pavilion, Las Vegas NV - “The Final Cut”}

As is customary for me, I stand in production as they prepare the set. It’s just a few hours until bell time for the first match. After a few long moments, they are finally ready. My bag and such were already in my locker room, and so I stood there in freshly starched jeans, black boots and a white button down shirt with a sports coat over the top of that. My world title was where it belonged, slung over my shoulder.

As we draw closer to show time, everything intensifies, doesn’t it? Anyone who doesn’t get nervous before a big match has no soul. There’s lots of people out there who claim that they don’t but if you look into their eyes. They are lying through their teeth. Especially when it's a big match.

I pull the sunglasses down the bridge of my nose so my eyes can be seen clearly with my index finger.

If me and Mikah are in a match, that makes it a big time match. See, everyone in this business wants to be a part of something great. They want to achieve greatness for themselves. In this case, being in the ring with us is as close to greatness as you are ever going to get.

After saying that, I use my index finger to push the glasses back up the bridge of my nose. Using both hands, I push my hair back.

Even if this was under normal circumstances and not a tournament, you would still be in over your collective heads. Neither of you realizes this yet but you are seriously overmatched and way outgunned. I know that my partner will take care of business with Sierra and Joshua, this match for you is already over and you simply don’t know it yet. I’ll even tell you why.

Holding the title up at chest level again to emphasize what I’m about to say.

This is why. Every man in this tournament is chasing this. Every woman is chasing it’s sister belt. My wife holds the other one in case you didn’t know. I know that’s why Mikah signed up for this tournament. She, like every other woman on this roster, wants to be a world champion. You, like every other person who entered it, wants to be a champion on a stage that matters.

Lowering the belt slightly.

The one thing that stands in your way is us. You shall not pass, I won’t allow it. I’ve worked far too hard for far too long to do anything other than send you home empty handed. I would say it’s not personal, but everything around this title is personal to me.

Fade