Author Topic: Masque v Kaiju Rainbow  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Mark Ward

• Not just a boss, THE boss
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hot Stuff Mark Ward
Masque v Kaiju Rainbow
« on: January 09, 2022, 03:32:20 AM »
Post all roleplays for this match in this thread.
Limits: 1 roleplay per week, 7,000 word limit.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:42:19 AM by Mark Ward »
>

Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon thee

*NOTE: No longer giving feedback, if you wasn't good enough, you wouldn't be here.
No longer doing show reviews, I already know we're that damn good!

Offline Terrorfexx

• View Profile
Re: Masque v Kaiju Rainbow
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:46:26 PM »
Symphony of the Iron Underbelly, Movement No. I– A Tale of Strange Beasts
__________________________________________________________________________________

[The Now]

I trace the glowing web for just a solitary moment; marvelling at a snapshot of superheated mortar my autonomic nervous system has managed to capture. The gap widens fractionally, brickwork beginning to bulge outwards under incredible positive pressure. The orange deepens, blooming in petals that lick around the crumbling edifice, swirling and twisting and where it sweeps it leaves radial soot shapes like clusters of stars. The web expands, shining strands reaching for each other on driving jets of superheated gas. Flecks of dust transit across the face of the bloating brightness, making a million, infinitesimal sunspots.

I cannot really watch this – it all happens too quickly for any living thing to witness in such intricate detail. Perhaps I see whatever the panicking meat behind my widening eyes produces in those milliseconds of conscious reactivity. Maybe the devastating power being unleashed takes control of these primordial moments and stretches them out to savour. I do not know. I am just a witness, about to become a victim.

With nothing else left to throw blindly into my waking consciousness as primitive, animalistic reflexes reach the hard stop of their instinctual trigger – or satisfied with some independent intent of its own making – the wall explodes out. Time resumes control of the situation. She does not like to be interfered with or made to play spectator.

The blast takes me off my feet. Acrid sulphur dioxides swirl past in racing clouds shaped like spears and take my ability to breathe, reinflating collapsing lungs with poison. Blinding light takes my sight, and I lose the beautiful pseudo-sunrise. It all happens in absolute silence, thanks to a supersonic pressure wave which has already blown out my eardrums before the sound carrying its power can boil the fluid inside them.

Brick broken up into razor-sharp flechettes streak past, tearing through clothes and tracing their chaotic spin through toxic air, using a map made with red trails sliced deep into my flesh.

Finally, blessedly, the pressure differential snaps my head backwards and the recoil crushes grey matter against hard. For just another beautiful, treasured quarter-second, I balance perfectly between consciousness and oblivion, arms out to either side of a tripwire that dissolves in from each imaginary end. This dreamscape collapses in on itself, like the physical world all around me.

I do not remember anything after I lost this balance, but I woke up screaming. Begging for help.

I think I cried for my Mother.

Enough.

The mask digs back into the angry red contour it left, and I am sure if the straps stayed loose it would cling on with composite spite alone. Tapered edges bite into a fleshy furrow running the perimeter of my face. The ratchet clasp behind my head tightens, each click-click-click forcing the plastic and porcelain in against my skin. Constraining and calming. Memories of screaming, weeping, recede and when I breathe in the stink of high explosives, phosphor and atomised mortar is gone. Control reasserts and the past slinks away for a spell. Banished.

In that singular moment I reach for the folded gloves on the desktop nearby, attention elsewhere, still lingering in the eddies of a waking dream. Contentment catches me out. You have forgotten. The bulbous stump of what used to be my right hand hovers in midair, phantom fingers clutching reflexively, impossibly, for something real. Not until the bulb of scar tissue dumbly raps against the dark oak in a blind grope do I look up. Remember. Pain explodes for just a second, as my mind tries to reconcile feeling those questing fingertips with seeing a twisted, truncated forearm. Neurons enter discussion, firing violently against each other, disagreeing. Angry. It settles, as always, and with the other hand I reach for my prosthetic. The weight of it is comforting.

I work the plastic fingers gently with my own, listening to the soft whine of integrated actuators as they almost imperceptibly resist the movements, without power to support them. Lifting the prosthetic up, I let the extended forefinger trail down the nape of my neck. For a moment, I feel it – in my wrist, the one that ends in an ugly soft-silver post clustered by thick ropes of scar tissue. The feeling passes, because it is not really there. A psychosomatic response; my body’s map desperately trying to brute-force back the missing connection.

Someone taps softly at the door, and I take the plastic away. “Come in, Cassiopeia."

A setting sun picks out parts of the wider room. It paints twisting shafts made broken by the prism of the misshapen glass it lenses through, and dirty with the century-old effluence of a city. Smeared and filthy, making it hard to see the jagged cityscape pulsing with anti-collision lights and thankless late-night office workers beyond. Hubris and ruin. Even with her head bowed, her beautiful bruises shine brightly, and the cut above her downcast eyes glints in the last effort of the day. Perfection in suffering. There is a lurch in her step, probably a moderate hip flexor strain, perhaps a sub-dermal haematoma with significant fluid buildup …   

Stop. The training preempts my conscious control and I continue to diagnose. Analyse. Evaluate a treatment option or two. Almost two decades of study and practice try to pick off where circumstances and choices last made that impossible. How long has it been?

The memories feel like external recordings, provided by some third-party. They are mine, it is me, but somehow everything is saturated like a bad copy. A facsimile. My eyes dart down at my prosthetic. Is this psychosomatic too?

She does not interrupt my musing. No cough of distraction, or gentle inquisition. A meek statue in a scarlet-red business suit, clutching a clipboard so tightly it turns her knuckles emaciated white. A Possible sign of anemia? Enough.

Control reasserts. To the topic at hand, singularly. “How are you feeling?” I ask, forced back to the matter. Broken, evidently.

Something writhes across her face. It is quick, but powerful. Not serpentine, that suggests subterfuge; this is too aggressive. It is actively restrained, held back and pulled down into the pit of the gut where it languishes with all the braver things she should have said and shown. I did not think she had the capacity. Fight? Good. She will need it.

“I’m well,” She replies, still not looking up.

“When is your next appointment?”

For just a moment her chin tilts and, for an all-too-brief further second, that reflex to make eye contact with someone whose question you do not quite understand seems about to break through. So close. Instead, the clipboard becomes a new raft to cling to.

This is proving to be a difficult lesson. She is a difficult pupil. Under the ceramic composite, my lips curl upwards slightly. The best lessons are always the hardest. They nick and then deform the recipient, leaving a permanent impression at best or a plunging wound at worst. The injuries on display have already made this the latter. A painful but necessary reminder. She will listen or she will feel.

“I’m due back at SCW in an hour,” Cassieopia read with all the variation of a text-to-speech device. “Talent relations meeting.”

“Then you have up to an hour to find it in yourself to look at my porcelain-painted face, before you are late.”

She does not move, except to burn a hole in the clipboard looking for some instruction or inspiration that never comes. Salvation in that particular raft will come from the sky above, not the sea below. She is looking in the wrong place.

This is tedious. “Why are you frightened of me?”

Cassieopia flinches, I continue. “Did I put those bruises on your face?”

“No, Ma’am.”

I stand, prosthetic held in its biological other, she flinches again. “Did I fracture your skull?”

“No, Ma’am.”

I fractured their skulls. Memories swirl, of the dockyards and my intervention a few weeks previously. Unlike before, these feel real. Authentic. This is me. I remember their lumbering swings, choreographed so clearly and plainly, overextending to offer me an opening and then taking everything from them. Their livelihoods, their health – everything except their lives. You cannot learn a lesson if you are dead, after all. And there are so many more things worse than death. The suffering they will see.

Circling the desk, she watches me come closer with the benefit of peripheral vision. She does not step back – good, progress. She is still virtuous. Precious. She shrinks down a little, shoulders hunching. Submissive and cowed. Unnecessary. She is not a prisoner, and her role in the wonderful things we will do is of the utmost importance.

Gently, the upturned fingers of the prosthetic in my hand guide her chin higher and her eyes dart hurriedly to either side seeking something, anything …

… But she cannot look anywhere else, and so she finally looks at me. Transfixed. Held. Close now, only a few inches separate us and the gentle tingle of flowers wafts effortlessly across the short distance to fill my single lung. It tickles my nose. Her breathing quickens, nostrils flare. Swallowing. The flesh around her bruised mouth flushes to match her suit. The star burns a little hotter.

My voice is gentle, soft. There is no-one else here meant for it. “Do you want to go? I will not stop you.”   

Almost immediately, she shakes her head but her eyes never leave mine. “No … I … It’s just …”

So close. Her lips flex looking for words and Cassieopia grimaces in discomfort, as the wire locking clamping her jaws together cuts into the soft palate. Such pain brings clarity, as miseries often do and the truth struggling to be free of the weight of expectation finally, blessedly, tears free and clear. Suffering is so very good for the soul. “I’m scared …”

At last. We are here. “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear …” I begin, and something behind her shimmering eyes grows bright. Walk into the light with me. “For fear has to do with punishment–”

“ … And whoever fears has not been perfected in love,” She interrupts. She is mine. “Gospel of John, Book One, Chapter Four, Verse Eighteen.”

Her hand reaches upwards and curls around the upturned, ceramic-white fingers of my prosthetic. Bolder now. I can feel her squeeze the pliant, flexing plastic through its flesh-and-blood facsimile. You shall be perfected in love. “All you need, Cassieopia, is faith. And you have so very much. It is your virtue and strength. I would not have rescued you that night, near the dockyards, if I thought you were weak.” A virtuousness to feed a living weapon. “I need your strength. She needs your strength. You cannot leave us alone …”

With a gesture towards the window behind, I continue. “This city, and all the awful things perpetrated inside it …”

For a second, Cassieopia’s eyes lose focus and I can tell she is recalling the particularly intense feeling of having her jaw broken in multiple places. The best lessons are the hardest. Or perhaps the fracture in her head. Or the creeping fear that makes her whole body shake whenever someone rushing to catch a taxi brushes too closely past in their hurry.

She nods, blinking through hot tears that track pink, meandering curls across her bruises and make the skin sting. She looks down at the prosthetic in her fingers and tugs on it, the slightest pressure. I let go, and she brings it close in against her chest, cradling it protectively inside cupped palms. For a while Cassieopia traces the inset black ribbons running around each digit in swirling, twisting bands.

Eventually, she holds my prosthetic up and out into the short distance between us. An offering. “Can I?”

Nodding, I present her with the stump of my wrist and she carefully tugs a harness loosely tied around the remaining forearm into position. Do you smell the flowers? “Your paperwork’s completed,” She says. “Filed it myself before I left. You’ve been given your first slot at Inception. Another new competitor … Hold on …”

She holds my wrist up in the air over her head, awkwardly squatting as far as her tender hip will allow until she can read the clipboard thrown onto the carpet below. “ … Kaiju Rainbow.”       

A beautiful and mighty name. With all the care she can manage, a flower girl named after the stars pushes my prosthetic onto its titanium post, cemented deep into the remains of my ulna. Despite her gentleness, the bone flexes under the load. It was never meant to float, swaying inside the soft meat of my forearm, tethered by tendons splayed out like guidewires. She rotates the hand locked and the added weight makes something animalistic, autonomic click live in the deepest recesses of my head. Some constant, low-voltage warning signal cuts off, and my body’s image of itself feels a little closer to the divine plan. Focus now.     

“You will help save her,” I say, as she traces a path back to the signal input port puncturing my skin a few inches back from the stump. “She cannot be reborn from the dark without a light to guide the way a while. She will need your virtue.” To draw out morality and hold in her corruption.

You are my canary. Cassieopia nodded and pushed the jack into place. A Lamb of God in the truest sense. “She saved me – I have to repay it.”

You will, and it will cost everything you cherish. My plastic fingers spasm, and it hurts. Transient imperfection. For a few moments my mind makes no sense of the artificial impulses pretending to be something they are not – pretending to be part of me. Imposters. It passes, eventually, and they splay out to lie flat in line with the texture-imprinted palm. She takes my facsimile in her god-given hand.

She squeezes it. Behind us the sun sinks, trading burnt orange for washed-out red; made all the more bleary by dirty glass.  “I’m ready.”

“We will do such wonderful things,” I tell her. Welcome to the Rapture.
__________________________________________________________________________________

[The Rapture]

There is such a lot to a name. Everything. A designation by default, a more attractive label for meatbags that think clever thoughts instead of chewing cud. A useful mechanism for anthropomorphising things that should be used like the mere tools they are. A name, but usually also a story. Sometimes an epic, if the owner goes to their long rest a good while after. That story is sometimes heartening, always tragic. Nobody spends significant time down here in the mud, head craned up at the black and twinkling, without the wounds of just existing. It is so hard. Suffering, after all, is so very good for the soul. Nothing worth having ever came for free and even where so, it is a mathematical certainty, as replicable and reliable as fractals, that someone suffered to make or break it before ever coming into your possession. Someone hurt for it, somewhere.

Kaiju, I know so little about you, and nothing beyond the page or so the company hosts online for those curious enough to look at you and wonder. Who are you? Even this biography, scant and sparse in detail, is data entry by someone else. A stranger’s interpretation. I am far more interested in learning about you from you.

Still, we have never met and so I cannot. Soon, but not yet. So I must approximate; work within the bounds of the known … And all I know is your name. What does it say? I think it has a story. Would you like me to tell it?

The power and the threat and the glory are all bound in your first name; a sweeping creature of unknowable power, smashing asunder with impunity. Oh, how it excites me to think about. Cries that rattle cities. Made in tall tales and on silver screens, given life through Human grit and perseverance. A vehicle, maybe, for revisiting on the world all the tragedies and hardships and miseries piled on you? A Kaiju – a strange beast in the English translation from the original Japanese – a walking metaphor, iron-hard scales and sweeping, raking claws. Titanic and colossal. It stirs my soul to think of you. Crashing through downtown metropolises, oblivious to the steel rain from screaming gunships. A mighty creature accompanied by an urban symphony, made from the bassy booming of main battle tanks, and the ear-splitting shriek of afternburning jets.

These vast, ordered ranks of violence delivered by land and sea and air to stop you delivering a reckoning for their wickedness, their indifference. Now, you can see them feel. Express something beyond glassy apathy.
They cry with dry faces. Screaming in the streets below, panicked. Directionless. Hurt. They will come harder for you yet. It will not make a difference.

Twisting, cavorting missiles burning hard and burying thousands of pounds of concentrated explosive into the freeways and expressways; hurling fractured concrete and blackened, twisted trussing high into the smoke-choked skies. They try to stop you with the sum arsenal of all the terrible things we do to each other, but you are untouched.
Untouchable. They destroy everything surrounding you but you.

Names are rarely metaphors – we do not get to choose them for ourselves, usually. But yours is, and I wonder … Did you? If so, we have something in common, and a link I treasure very much.
A chain. Kaiju were faceless, incredible metaphors for the terrible things we do to each other given a magnificent, monstrous form drawn from imagination and flavoured with malice. Living embodiments of topics too complex for the common man to articulate made relatable, so long as the vehicle of interaction and required conclusion was fear. It is easy to be scared.

An atomic age, where cutting-edge science broke apart the stuff of matter and our perceived reality, rending apart with the power of laboratory-orchestrated suns to vapourise entire cities.
Legitimate war-making targets and families. From weapons potent enough to poison an entire planet, to powering your car and your home girt by white-picket fences. Such cognitive dissonance, to trust the same principles that burnt the silhouettes of the dead into walls but might give you electricity too cheap to meter! A new American Age. Difficult to truly fear something which concurrently protects children and threatens to turn them to ash in a nuclear hellfire. Ring-a-ring-a-rosies …

The most famous Kaiju of them all gave an outlet to that dissonance. A nuclear test, an irradiated island, and a mighty lizard to terrorise and destroy. A powerful warning for the all-too-familiar consequences of science run amok, where the head leads the heart until the latter is broken in the burning streets of downtown Tokyo, crushed by the might and fury of Godzilla.

You are not nine hundred and eighty four feet of fury. Your skin cannot repel high-calibre, armour-piercing rounds. You cannot cleave skyscrapers in half with a wicked whip of your spined tail … And yet, I do not expect any less a challenge when Inception provides a suitable venue for us to get to know each other more intimately.
More hurtfully.

What role then, should I play?
All of them. Am I to just survive Kaiju Rainbow, in the hopes that when the sun rolls around the world and climbs up to look at the destruction from a late evening’s work in Reno, Nevada, you will be screaming at the scrambling helicopters in the sky somewhere else, and I will still be alive? Perched on the roadside rubble, wrapped in a shining foil thermal blanket while Tokyo burns all around me?

Maybe, I can play a hunter. Slay the beast, save the girl and the world.
Damn her. I would make such a very dashing heroine …

Or, perhaps, I could be your keeper.
Master. After all, strange beasts exist as teaching instruments – warnings to heed, made for murder,  and lessons to learn regarding who is in charge, wielding these powerful creatures, and who is not. Between the bouts of violence, who will keep you fed and watered? Protected from the elements? Nothing exists in isolation, not even monsters. Loneliness breeds them.

Something has brought you to SCW.
Leave now. I wonder what that is? Primal instinct, the pure potential to hurt and slay? Something more cerebral, deliberate. Planned. Are you on a directionless, eternal hunt or is this a flight from someplace … Or some prison?

Less concrete-poured toilets and an hour in an empty swimming pool masquerading as exercise, more a gilded cage.
Civilised captivity. Bread and Water and a Faberge Egg? Maybe even something more metaphorical? Fear is a powerful restraint, but there are other feelings which can be just as potent a weapon in the right applications. Fear is so blunt and brutish … I prefer something with more finesse. Too much love kills every time. Used carefully, gently like a delicate blade, love can be the most inescapable prison of them all.

It is remarkable how much more it hurts when the pain is inflicted by the act of leaving, and not in being forced to stay.
Leaving is by choice. You could always stay and die. Such deep cuts. Your past accomplishments make me wonder if you have scars to match. Tell me … Why did you leave AFCW?

For so much still to do there, you seemed to leave so quickly.

Whatever role I play – prey, gamekeeper or warden – I will move softly and carry a powerful anti-tank weapon. Finesse has its place, but a scalpel versus a Strange Beast is a zero-sum game I do not want to play.

After all, you are still Kaiju and you are mighty and I will not die weeping on the broken streets of an urban wasteland. Not easily.
Not at a price you are willing to pay.

[The Past]

Atlantic City watched Cassieopia lie on the rain-slicked concrete with her back to the business district, and waited for her to die. With a pained gasp, cut short by the irresistible hyperventilating urge to draw in more air before her lungs had even filled all the way, she rolled onto her side and retched. A greasy mix of bile, blood and saliva congealed as it thickened and hung halfway clear of her chin, swinging in a gentle breeze blowing in from the sea and the nearby dockyards.

Her fingers prodded uselessly at the mobile phone resting in the palm of her slack hand. The screen flickered, disturbed from idle with every uncoordinated mash.

“Hu …. Hu …” She rasped, trying for words her broken jaw hung too loose to help shape. Something hot and slick rolled down the back of her skull and autonomously, groggily, she roughly pressed a free hand against the matted hair. It came back red and strange. She forgot the phone for a second, glassy eyes focusing on the clear fluid sitting on top of that all-too-familiar blood …

A vibration in her other palm stole her attention away and Cassie dragged the phone into her body as it shook and flashed. The bright pixel screen was too brilliant to look at, and more pain lanced through her head as she forced herself to focus.

MAC CALLING

With the sum will left after refusing to give Atlantic City its show, Cassie stabbed a thumb on the green indent and connected.

An urgent voice struggled through a tinny speaker, too far away without hands’ free. “Mah …” She tried and the agony made itself an order of magnitude worse; threatening to dissolve everything in front of her into nothingness. “Am … Amber …”

Cassie retched again, with nothing left in her gut but blood to splash in the rain. She pressed her clammy forehead into the concrete. “Huh … Help … Her …”

Eyes flickered closed, and the phone slipped out from numb fingers. As her conscious mind stalled, jerking and screeching as the neural processes which gave it the gift of sentience and self-awareness came to a halt, she prayed. Split lips worked silently as far as her shattered mandible would permit, and she begged something altogether greater than her for an intervention. A miracle. Anything.

Cassie’s urgent pleading was interrupted, long before it could reach its intended recipient. In fact, it never even got out of Atlantic City.

She was dimly aware that the falling rain had stopped falling on her. Then, that embryonic awareness took a gamble and expanded enough to realise someone was standing in its way. They came closer, stooping, and she felt soft fingers brush tangled hair out from her red-rimmed eyes. Cassie watched them reach for the phone nearby, end the call and take it out of her blurry sight.

“Do not be afraid,” A voice whispered in her ear, making the skin prickle and her body shiver. “I will save her, and you.”

She tried to raise her head up, to see the face of her saviour, but there was no spare capacity in such a fevered mind to issue orders to aching, spent muscles. The stranger dropped to their knees, and before the last of her useful consciousness was taken from her, Cassie watched ceramic-white fingers interlock with hers. They felt hard, but warm. She squeezed them, coughed, and fell into nothingness.   

The Stranger traced the blotchy line of swollen bruises joining the edge of Cassie’s mouth and ear with a black-gloved hand. “Welcome to the Rapture,” She said, turning the painted mask over her face up towards the rainstorm. “We will do such wonderful things.”

[The Rapture]

Close the Compendium Of Strange Beasts and How To Slay Them. It cannot help us any more. We must go deeper beyond the book and towards its author. Take their name, and think … What might be behind it? Who are you? Deeper. Allegories tell stories, teach lessons and act as buoys warning against moral hazards in the deep waters and while those stories make people mighty, they are white soaring turrets picked out in smooth stonework. Sweeping buttresses carved in angels, with marble palms turned up to support multi-storey corners on busy office blocks. Whatever gets you through the day.

These are just accoutrements and flourishes, woodwind trilling somewhere in the shining metal and polished wood of the symphony, resting on – relying on – strong foundations. An underpinning strength, on which the sum total of a life rises in pyramidal thrust. Chasing an apex that will never be completed, a personal Sagrada Família began under one vision and continued under another.
For the love of the work.

How do we build something to meet our vision, when by virtue of still being alive we are not the same architect who laid the keystone so long ago? Changed by experiences, things we should have done; things we should never have done …

No. We were always meant to do them.
They are still mistakes.

We build on these foundations with our experiences, fashioned into new towers and spires that make glories or memorials. Celebrate or mourn, remember and ruminate on what was and might be.

It is a curiosity. We are such wonderful things, to spend so much time building many of these memorials to things that could never have been. We mourn losses that were never ours to lose. Permutations, what-if, hypotheticals. Imaginings. I wonder why we spend all our life wishing it away? We were built to dream.

To understand you, Kaiju, I must look past this pseudo-cityscape and the skyline-of-the-soul, of sorts, made by all the terrible things you have seen and done and, perhaps, something of selflessness. We are all made in his image, after all. Even the most irredeemable have at some point done something laudable.
Not every blade finds skin.

Past the fortress, past the projection of you, at where you are strongest. The very anchor of everything you are, on which it all rests – all the trials, tribulations, victories, failures. Within which, we will find the real Kaiju Rainbow.
The heart of you. There, at the source of greatest strength must be the most tremendous load. We can deny ourselves, others, but not simple physics. Not force, pressure or area. It is so much to hold up.

What do your foundations look like? Thick slabs of pitted angled stone, made wet by rain and furred by moss? Twelve hundred years in the making? Scoured clear and shiny in brilliant, twenty-first century reflective alloy? Structural. Weighty. Physical. Impassable.
Safe.

No. That feels too cold, too aloof. You are not a castle to repel a siege. You are not trying to keep the world out, with barriers, but maybe trying to keep something altogether harder and stronger in. Not the metal, but the fire that forges it. A swirling vortex of dazzling, lashing, violence kept trapped, contained by the weight of all your life built over the top. A soul. A reactor of feeling, powering the conscious and careful mind while ever-probing for weaknesses in that containment, ready to tear through and out. Stretch and see the sky.

There are many names for it, many stories, probably. But it is you. The core, the reactor. It is the heart of you.

I think I would like to meet the blazing sun you carry inside, Kaiju.
Wander in the brightness for a while. I would stand in front of its radiance, your magnificence, and feel my skin blister. Die a little to know a little better how you live. Know you.

And then, I would take its light and make it mine. Give it purpose, pleasure. Change it to new forms that please me, serve me.
Corrupt it. What use is such power, without careful application? Reach for the Compendium one final time and think: wanton destruction, like a monster lumbering from downtown Tokyo and into myth and legend, is worthless without finesse. Without control. Without reigns and a yoke.

Oh my Strange Beast, I will give you the lesson you are to teach unto others, that has until now been missing and which makes all of this that you have made before our meeting meaningless. Obsolete. Defunct and ready for change.
Ready for destruction.

You are potential without application.
Pure promise. A powerhouse used to keep the library lights on instead of feeding mighty engines of war. All of this – everything you have built in sweeping spires and soulscapes without a rhyme or reason – needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Made cohesive and fit, in accordance with a plan. A grand design.

I have a plan for you, Kaiju.
Rebirth. Let me help you find yourself. Let me show you that suffering will be so very good for your soul, by making you suffer so very much to redeem it. Lose it. There is a grand design of such careful misery, one we will embark on together. It will be difficult, and those glories and monuments you built in your ignorance and accidental-life will fall hard and suddenly, but on the other side of the long night that awaits you in Reno, Nevada, a new woman will emerge. Reshaped. Renewed. Resplendent in the image I have made for you. A terrible and vengeful thing.

There will be nothing left except that swirling vortex, released for a while and wounded.
Hurt. She will be such a sight unleashed. I will let you rail a while, hurt me, maybe; hurt others? Without hesitation. Make them feel. Then, you will be sealed away. Weaponised. Part of the arsenal I will come to rely on to deliver my grand design to all of this company and, eventually, beyond. I cannot do any of this without you. It is not a choice

And when you are not called to war, but raging and crashing against this beautiful prison I have made for you to stay in, you will soothe and comfort me.
Trapped and made a toy. Through a chink in smooth, polished, impenetrable armour I have chosen to cut, you will see a slither of the outside world from inside. A looking glass back the way you came.

From outside and with your tamed light, I will make you a rainbow, Kaiju. All the spectrum, all of you, made discrete and split into bands of thoughts and feelings through me.
Cut into parts. I will be your prism, refracting everything you are into myriad colours that amuse and entertain me. A living kaleidoscope

You must resist this with all your heart and the proxy, violent vortex it represents – you must be a difficult pupil, or the lesson will not take effect.
It will be worse this way. Exert the greatest pressure, so that your foundations burst and everything leaves you. My Strange Beast, you must promise to do your utmost to stop me so that when you are welcomed into my grand design, it is to be rebuilt utterly and completely. Made almost brand new and terrible

You will be my first miracle, here in SCW. You will be my reason to believe that there is a chance to remake and remould, instead of reducing everything to ruin. Destruction is so very time-consuming, and it is better to twist and warp and watch it grow into something new than uproot, salt, scour and start again.

I cannot wait to welcome you. I feel as if I have always known you, somehow before we ever trade such beautiful violence in Reno.
Only the lights will refuse to look away. We shall do such wonderful things together. There is a path here that I have made for you; walk it with me and cut yourself on these ruby-red thorns and when the way has taken its toll, I will be there to save you. Scrape your palms on the fall to the ground. Remake you. Do not get up. Please.

That beautiful violence we visit on each other will be more than the product served for some seedy, bourgeois cause of filling corporate coffers or the supply against thirsty, baying, whooping, gibbering demand. The feckless and the ignorant will wear away more paint on the handrails, but that is the most they will achieve in advancing anything forward. What they think they have paid to see but are actually blessed to do so, is an offering, something sacred that we will make, together. 

It will be a whirlwind and it will be terrible and it will be wounding.
Only the lights will refuse to look away. We shall spin and we shall weave and our dance will be the start of a glorious procession, the path laid out for you to find your salvation.

I will save you with ruby-red thorns in Reno and when you lay still in the aftermath, I will bind the weeping cuts that mark your path through them. Each one will kiss you with a painful flourish, a chord of hurt which read across their totality makes your flesh a songbook. From such wonderful music we will sing together.

A crescendo, a rolling wave of all the rage and fury held under impossible pressure for too long, fashioned into song with the most wonderful of all instruments — the Human Body. I think you will sing so sweetly, when we finally meet.

Welcome to the Rapture, Kaiju Rainbow.

[The Now]

Freeing the ratchet and letting its straps slip free to dangle loosely, I slip my fingers underneath the edges and lift the mask away from my face. Warm air rushes in and soothes the engorged line of angry flesh, where the composite plastic always bites so hard. Tonight, it will fade and be gone and tomorrow, it will be cut in new.

Cassieopia stands immediately behind me, holding my long hair bunched up in the air and out of the way. She does not make any effort to lean forward, to crane her neck. To see my face. Instead, she sets about untangling and brushing. 

I can smell flowers, and the sweetness tickles my nose.

Through cracked lips, I manage a few shallow breaths but something tight presses down on me and when my head shifts a little to blindly follow the flowers, my cheek scratches deep against brickwork. Reflexively, a shoulder rises up and hits hard against something else. Squeezed tight, my heart wrestles and strains inside its pericardial blanket and crashes against the ribs pushed in so close. It twists and bucks and thumps, beating too quickly, making my whole body feel numb. Lips spread further, seeking more air, but it tastes of mortar and dust and my lungs will not take any more. Cannot.

Sweetness in my snatched breaths turns sour and becomes wet. Something hot and metallic makes a riverbed out of my face as it spills into my gasping mouth, thick and congealed with plaster collected from my grey skin. I splutter, but there is not enough air in my labouring, crumpled chest to power the cough. Blood flows now in rivulets, pouring in faster than my frantic gargling can clear it. 

Deep inside my skull, buried in overlapping ribbons of panicked neurons, something primordial ignites and assumes immediate control, throwing aside rising panic. Adrenal glands fire, twisting themselves almost in half in spasm as they dump the biological equivalent of rocket fuel into my veins. Already frustrated, my heart works itself into a frenzy as if it could lift the heavy weight on my chest by palpitation and pulsing alone. 

Scrambling in the dirt and broken brickwork, skin slicing on each sharp spur, fingers manage to work themselves free from a furrow ploughed in the mud until I can put my palm up against something and push. It creaks, I groan in agony, sending thick red ropes of bloody spit up into the air and onto my cheeks. My heart beats faster. I push, it shifts. I beg – try to reason with myself – for a second to rest. I cannot breathe. Please.

No. My heart beats faster. Again.

Panting, a sheen of sweat mixes with the plaster coating my face to make a paste that slides down and oozes into my eyes, blinding me until I blink it away. My voice, wordless, howling, rises as the weight teeters at the full reach of my left arm, on the edge of spinning away. With one last effort I push back up from the ground. Something in my shoulder snaps and everything from the bicep down loses strength, just as the mass tumbles away and into the gloom.

Now illuminated by a sickly yellow disc in the sky, made pale white by thick reams of billowing smoke, I kick at the remains of the overturned concrete pillar. Petulantly.

When I move to sit up, cradling an aching arm in my lap, something pulls me back hard. The recoil is agonising and the back of my skull cracks against debris and rubble. As the remaining adrenaline burns itself out, leaving my senses with nothing to fuel them, everything becomes dim, washed out. With all the effort left in my flagging spirit, I roll over right and come face to face with the remains of a  large, perforated tank. A string of embossed serial numbers run across its burst front, splattered with pink spit and grit.

A fat trail of something thick like molasses spills from a fist-sized hole punched in its nearside, coloured bright orange by the corrosion it carries along the way. At the apex of a buckled plate it gathers together enough to drip down to the mud but instead, it spills onto and over my right forearm, buried under the base of the tank.

Panic grips me. I tug, and then I pull and then I thrash but it stays stuck. Trapped. I try to move my fingers but I cannot feel them. My exhausted heart finally slows and something heavier than the concrete crushing me a few moments earlier settles over. My cracked, slack lips quiver.

It is absolutely silent all around. Fluid from my ruptured eardrums dries in bloodied flecks sprayed across my neck and absurdly, I am glad. It is peaceful. Everything slows down. My fight is exhausted, my flight cut-off and that primordial something buried deep inside disengages, handing back non-existent control to my conscious, rapidly spiralling mind.

I think this is where …

Reaching up, I pull the small curves of warm metal out from behind each ear and set the hearing aids down on the tabletop, next to my mask. The sound of Cassieopia’s brushing, her breathing, my breathing – everything – is instantly cut off. Only the gentle tap of my ever-faithful heart, its resting effort transmitted through my bones, stays with me.

Letting my eyes roll closed, I float in a beautiful sensory limbo. All except one. Rolling my shoulders back, I fill the one, lonely lung in my chest. I can still smell flowers. Cassieopia continues her work. If she wanted to, she could reach over and bring any number of heavy objects down against my defenceless form, step over my bleeding body, and leave.

This is her twelfth such opportunity, but she has not, will not, because she is not my prisoner. 

I press my prosthetic hand against my chest, and the plastic digs into fabric and the skin underneath. It comes to me in full recollection and vivid, swirling brightness. Instantaneously, I know the truth and the memory reasserts itself, almost casually, into the meat inside my skull. Yes, I did. I remember now.

I did cry for my Mother.
D̶o n̶ot b̶e fri̶ght̴e̵n̵ed. M̷i̵n̵e i̵s t̴he̵ la̴st vo̷i̵c̶e yo̴u w̶ill eve̴r h̸ear.

Offline RAINBOW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 05:02:36 PM »
SCENE ONE
NEW YEAR, NEW BEGINNINGS (PART I)
31/12/21, NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND
(OFF CAMERA)

*THUMP* *THUMP* *THUMP*
Was this what passed for music nowadays?

Staring down at her fifth pint of Tennants lager, Violetta de Luca found her eyes drawn to the large red “T” logo on the side of the glass. It felt good to focus on something, however briefly. The claptrap cacophany of sound masquerading as music that came from the speakers in the bar was doing her bleeding head in. And while the alcohol was slowly beginning to drown it out, the awful music was running a special duet with her sister; whom she was pretty sure had been talking without drawing breath for a solid twenty minutes. Come home for New Year, they said, it’ll be fun, they said. As her eyes left her pint and the big red “T”, she gradually zoned back in on whatever her younger sister was blithering on about.

JESS DE LUCA
..........so she’s got her white cotton panties in a bunch about what people will think, like what, am I some hulking ogre you don’t wanna be seen dead holding hands with? Like it’s 2021, I wanna wear those rainbow bands and live my best life, I don’t need to put up with her arse being so far in the closet she’s having a tea party with Mr. Tumnus...

Oh right, the recent breakup. It was actually amazing she could go on this long on the subject; though she could be repeating herself, she hadn’t actually been listening. Not tonight, not any of the various other rants she’d gone on over the holiday period. She didn’t resent her sister, persay; but she got so animated and passionate about everything, and it was incredibly tiring. KAIJU RAINBOW was passionate and animated as well, but that was a bit she did for the cameras, a persona. She could only imagine being that way 24/7 was bloody exhausting.

JESS DE LUCA
...........so she was like “fuck you”, and I was like “NO FUCK YOU!” So she spits beer in my face, and tells me to get fucked, and I’m all like... you’ll like this one... I’ve been trying for years, but I’ve been stuck dating YOUR FRIGID ARSE! Eh? EH? HEY! Are you even listening?!

Oops, that was my cue.

LETTA DE LUCA
Yeah, Carrie doesn’t put out. Nice burn, I guess.

JESS DE LUCA
Hmph. You’re no fun. Grumpyface.

Was that supposed to get a rise, a reaction out of her? Not even close.

LETTA DE LUCA
Isn’t it time we got back?

Jess smacked her palms down on the table.

JESS DE LUCA
It’s not even ten-o-clock yet! You really ARE NO FUN. You’re as miserable as Sturgeon, and her stupid arse is the reason we’re stuck over the border instead of partying in a civilized country.

Sure enough, Scottish first minister Nicola Sturgeon had banned Scottish holiday fraternizations due to the pandemic. Violetta had been quite pleased about the fact, figured she’d get some peace and quiet, but here she was, dragged to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne by her sister, and half the population of the Scottish lowlands as far as she could tell.

LETTA DE LUCA
You’re not very good at this whole “Scottish Nationalist” thing, are you? Talking shit on the SNP leader, dating an English woman for seven years, coming across the border to England to get pissed up because we can’t at home... for someone who hates the English so much, you sure stick your fingers in a lot of English pies.

This clearly wound her sister right up. Which was good, because that was the idea.

JESS DE LUCA
HEY FUCK YOU! I’m a modern day William Wallace. I have felt the cold, sickening taste of English uppityness. I know I want freedom.

Violetta couldn’t help but wonder if this was part of some great rallying speech she was planning, or whether she was just talking about her ex’s cooch. Knowing her sister, either option likely had equal viability.

LETTA DE LUCA
I don’t really get it.

Jess’s eyes narrowed.

JESS DE LUCA
Because I’m proud to be Scottish. You’re Scottish too, aren’t you proud of that fact?

LETTA DE LUCA
We’re also Sicilian.

JESS DE LUCA
HALF Sicilian.

LETTA DE LUCA
Yeah. And HALF Scottish.

This caused a growl from her younger sister.

JESS DE LUCA
Whatever. I hate going to Sicily, working for dad... it’s fucking shit.

Their dad was a small time promoter over there; he’d gone back after he split with their mum when Jess was little. He’d been their gateway into the business, but inbetween major jobs, they were supposed to go over there and help out.

LETTA DE LUCA
It’s not that bad.

JESS DE LUCA
My arse! We do all the ring assembly, wrestle three nights a week and don’t even get fucking paid by the cheap bastard. It’s all right for you, you’re his favourite, his precious seven-time fucking Sicilian Champion.

LETTA DE LUCA
You’ll get to the top one day, it’s all about paying your dues.

JESS DE LUCA
I’m nearly fucking thirty, I don’t need to pay a damn thing, he needs to pay me some damn money! Besides, I’m never gonna get to the top of the card when you’re up there, hogging all the praise and attention as bleeding usual.

Well... this seemed like as good a time as any to tell her.

LETTA DE LUCA
Jess... I’m not coming back with you to Sicily.

Jess looked confused.

JESS DE LUCA
Why? You’re the champion! Like... what the fuck?

Violetta shrugged.

LETTA DE LUCA
I got a job. Wrestling in Vegas. Major promotion. So I’m not coming back. I’ll be flying out to Nevada. So hey... maybe you can get that first Sicilian Championship while I’m gone.

JESS DE LUCA
ARSE!!!

The volume of this response caught Letta off guard, and she flinched a little. She hadn’t expected her to take it well, but...

LETTA DE LUCA
Yeah, Sin City Wrestling, it’s kind of a big deal.

JESS DE LUCA
No way, Sin City? You gotta get me a gig there! I can’t cope going back to Palermo. I’ve never got to base in Vegas!

LETTA DE LUCA
You based in Reno for a bit.

JESS DE LUCA
That’s the SHIT B-Tech version of Vegas! Please sis, you gotta put in a word for me!

LETTA DE LUCA
Look. I’m batting way above my recent history just getting myself in there. I’m in no position to start pushing for nepotism. Besides, dad needs you over in Sicily.

JESS DE LUCA
I don’t GIVE A FUCK! You can’t just leave me behind! We could form a tag team!

That sounded horrendous.

LETTA DE LUCA
Jess, calm down. I’m going to Vegas, to Sin City. And you are NOT coming with me. You’re always dragging me out to pubs, and doing things... I need to focus. I’ve been in the wilderness for a couple of years; this is my big opporunity to get my Stateside career back on track. I’ve conquered Europe, I’ve conquered Japan... North America is the final step.

Jess sighed, seeming somewhat defeated.

JESS DE LUCA
You know... I only dragged you out because I wanted you to be happy, right?

Happy? What did she mean by that?

LETTA DE LUCA
What?

JESS DE LUCA
When I was young, you were always so happy-go-lucky and confident. I admired you, looked up to you, wanted to be you. And then after what happened with Nick... everything changed. YOU changed.

Nick... she didn’t want to hear that name.

JESS DE LUCA
You’re grumpy. You’re miserable. You won’t date, you barely talk to anyone... I... I thought you’d get over it, but it’s been seven fucking years and still...

She sighed.

JESS DE LUCA
I just wanted to make you smile. I want my sister back.

It was an emotional, tear-jerking moment for sure. But Violetta felt... nothing. She hadn’t felt much of anything for seven years. Feelings hurt her. All the pain back then... the anguish, the frustration, the misery... and then she closed. She closed herself off to the world, to everyone. Even her own family. She had no friends. She had no lovers. All she had was her fighting training, a mild alcohol dependency... and the character she created, KAIJU RAINBOW. A woman who was everything she wasn’t. Strong. Confident. Assured. Funny. Maybe she was all those things once. But it was amazing how quickly life could beat the shit out of you.

LETTA DE LUCA
I’m sitting right here.

JESS DE LUCA
NO YOU’RE NOT! You’re a husk, a shell, a carapace!

LETTA DE LUCA
...Where did you learn the word carapace?

JESS DE LUCA
DAMMIT! You’re broken! I’ve tried for years to fix you and I can’t! Maybe you should go to Vegas, hopefully you find whatever it is you need to find because I can’t help you, clearly...

Jess wiped her eyes, she seemed on the verge of tears. Violetta knew she should feel something here, have some emotions, but nothing was forthcoming from inside. She sank her pint and stood up.

LETTA DE LUCA
I’m going to the bar, you want anything?

Jess really had started to cry now.

JESS DE LUCA
My sister back.

Violetta rolled her eyes.

LETTA DE LUCA
Will you settle for another rum and coke?

Her sister let out a horrible wail as Violetta sighed and sauntered across to the bar. She decided she’d take that as a “loose yes”.

But stuff like that... was exactly why emotions were overrated.

-----

SCENE TWO
NEW YEAR, NEW BEGINNINGS (PART II)
3/1/2022, GLASGOW AIRPORT
(OFF CAMERA)

Violetta had gotten done with her COVID checks, and was sitting in the airport waiting to board her flight, paying little attention to the people coming and going. She was there alone; no doubt Jess would have wanted to come, but that was why she lied to her, and said she wasn’t flying until Wednesday.

*RING RING*
She pulled her phone out, it was the number she’d been expecting. Well, too late for her to get here now.

*CLICK*

LETTA DE LUCA
Hey sis.

JESS DE LUCA
Hey, where the hell are you? Why is half your stuff gone?

LETTA DE LUCA
At Glasgow Airport. Due to board for Vegas in twenty minutes.

JESS DE LUCA
WHAT?! YOU LIED TO ME! You said you were leaving on Wednesday!

LETTA DE LUCA
Yep. Didn’t want you trying to come with me.

JESS DE LUCA
Shit... you’re such a bitch. I wanted to show you this in person.

LETTA DE LUCA
Show me what, exactly?

There was a pause, then a long sigh.

JESS DE LUCA
I... I’ll text you the link. Just... promise you’ll look at it, okay? I think it might mean something to you.

Violetta rolled her eyes. It was probably nonsense.

LETTA DE LUCA
Fine. I’ll look at it?

JESS DE LUCA
PROMISE?!

Violetta sighed.

LETTA DE LUCA
Yes, I promise.

JESS DE LUCA
Okay. I’ll send it now. You... have a good flight, okay? And call me when you get there?

LETTA DE LUCA
Sure, after I’ve spent two hours being abused by American airport security, I’ll get right on that.

JESS DE LUCA
You better. I... I’ll see you when I see you, I guess... bye Letta. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Always with the weird abstract shit, she was.

LETTA DE LUCA
Yep. Bye.

She clicked the call off before Jess could start babbling on about something else that randomly popped into her head. She was about to put her phone away when...

*BEEP BEEP*

Oh right, the “link” she was supposed to look at. She almost felt like not bothering, but fine. Let’s see what it is. She tapped the link in the text, which took her to an article on the Wrestling Observer. She read the headline.

“SEX & VIOLENCE WRESTLING CLOSES ITS DOORS AFTER TWELVE YEARS”

That name... that place... the creation of Nick Flaherty. Wrestling promoter... and her ex-husband. Seven years ago, she’d left them both behind. It was a painful breakup... she’d never looked back once she moved past it all. Nick wasn’t even in charge of the company at that point, but she’d never watched another show. She didn’t know who was on the roster, who even owned the damn place. Was this supposed to bring something out of her? Garner some kind of reaction? She felt nothing other than sheer ambivalence. Just like every other day. Should she be happy? Sad? She didn’t feel one way or the other. Just like always. She didn’t even bother to read the article, swiping off and putting her phone away.

The past is the past, after all. No point looking back.

“PASSENGERS FOR FLIGHT 246 TO LAS VEGAS, PLEASE LINE UP TO BOARD THE PLANE.”

But the future? The future starts now. And maybe she would, as her sister put it, “find what she was looking for”.

Whatever the fuck that was.

-----

SCENE THREE
NEW YEAR, NEW BEGINNINGS (PART III)
6/1/2022, TWO BUCKS WRESTLING GYM, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
(OFF CAMERA)

Arriving in Las Vegas, Violetta had surmised she needed a base camp. A lot of pro wrestlers would just flit from gym to gym, but Violetta had always been of a mind that having a settled base was a much smarter way of doing things. She’d looked around a couple places in Vegas, and had found this one: Two Bucks Wrestling gym. Very unassuming, unpretentious; maybe a bit run down, but Violetta wasn’t much of one for the fancypants way of things. This place may well do nicely. She started to look around, see if she could find the person in charge.

The gym had seen better days for sure, when? Probably couple or maybe ten presidents ago. To call it a dump would probably get you charged for insulting dumps. The there was a flashing neon light that read “OFFICE” the flickering of the sign made her wonder if it was supposed to do that or just faulty wiring, she tried the handle and the door creaked as it opened, what she saw next was a man holding open what looked like a skiin mag “MASSIVE JUGS” it read on the cover, he startles and stuffs tha mag to the top drawer.

BUCK
No new classes until Thursday!

Violetta blinked.

LETTA DE LUCA
Oh uh.. Hi! I’m not actually a rookie, I’m a professional wrestler already, new in town. I was looking for somewhere to set up a base camp, and I... uh... was wondering if I could do it here. Nice to meet you Mr... uh...?

He got up, extending a hand to her. A thick gold chain around his neck and both wrists, a sleeves tanktop and worn out jeans.

BUCK
Sterling Buck..

She looks at his hand, remembering what he had just been holding in one hand..wondering which hand was he offering to her the one holding the girly mag or..

LETTA DE LUCA
Yeah, maybe we don’t need to do that.

BUCK
Why? Oh right the pandemic and such..?

LETTA DE LUCA
..yeah, sure.

BUCK
I’m gonna need the money now. Upfront, cash.

LETTA DE LUCA
Cash? Well, I might need to nip to a cashpoint...

BUCK
A what now?!

LETTA DE LUCA
Oh, right. An ATM. Sorry, kinda new in the country.

BUCK
I mean, it’s a creative way of paying to train but..sure.

He flashes a lewd smirk.

LETTA DE LUCA
Pardon?

BUCK
ATM..

LETTA DE LUCA
Yeah I need to find one and.. OH you meant THAT. Yeah, that’s gonna be a hard pass from me.

Back shrugs.

BUCK
Can’t blame a guy for trying, been a bit of a drought as of late socially.

LETTA DE LUCA
Well... I can at least relate to that I guess.

Sure the guy was a bit of a creeper... to say the least, but maybe it wasn’t so bad. Besides, she usually kept herself to herself, so it wasn’t like she’d be tethered to him.

LETTA DE LUCA
Alright. How much do I owe? I’ll be here for... well, as long as this gig lasts, I guess. Years I’m hoping. So maybe, we work it out on a per month basis?

BUCK
Sure, but I still need some upfront, consider it a downpayment.

She glares at him, was this dude trying to hold her up for money?

LETTA DE LUCA
Or what?

BUCK
Or you’ll be training in the dark, kinda behind on the bills

LETTA DE LUCA
Yet had the finances to buy “Massive Jugs”?

He shrugged.

BUCK
Man’s got needs.

Violetta was about to ask him if he didn’t have an Internet connection, but looking around the place, maybe he didn’t. Violetta opened her purse and pulled out a wad of twenties.

LETTA DE LUCA
Two hundred sufficient?

Without even blinking the man swipes the wad and stuffs it down his pants.

BUCK
Sold. You need a locker?

LETTA DE LUCA
Um, yeah? Just give me a key and..

BUCK
Why? There’s no locks on them.

Ugh. Maybe she’d get one fitted herself.

LETTA DE LUCA
Well, now that’s done... I guess I’ll be in tomorrow. Good to meet you, Mr. Buck.

BUCK
Yeah, sure thing toots.

LETTA DE LUCA
Toots? OH, I never told you my name. It’s Violetta. Violetta De Luca.

BUCK
OH, I thought you spoke funny. You one of them there immigrants?

Violetta sighed.

LETTA DE LUCA
Uh... yeah, I’m Scottish, so I suppose so.

BUCK
Alright, well as you gave me the cash... if the feds come lookin’, I didn’t see ya.

LETTA DE LUCA
What? I have a visa!

Buck lets out a grin, clearly missing a few teeth.

BUCK
That’s what they all say.

Violetta sighs, grabbing her bag and making her way out. I guess this could turn out to be something of an adventure. Besides, once she worked her way up the card and made more money, she could always find somewhere nicer. Though really, whatever you  wanted to say about Buck...

She’d take him over Dad & Jess any day.

-----

SCENE FOUR
A KAIJU CAME TO TEA
15/01/2022, TWO BUCKS WRESTLING GYM, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
(ON CAMERA PROMOTIONAL VIDEO)

And so it begins. The Kaiju comes. When I mesh with her, it is like a transformation. I become her. I gain her power. Violetta de Luca sits in the shadows. The Kaiju will take the stage.

The scene opens in what appears to be a run-down wrestling gym. The walls, the ring are gray. But there is a burst of light and colour front and center as leaning over the ropes is the tall, athletic woman known as KAIJU RAINBOW.

KAIJU RAINBOW
Friends, Roamers, Countryballs. Lend me your ears, for I bring good tidings of great joy and apparently multiple confused references! I am KAIJU RAINBOW, a woman of great skill, talent and discernment, fuelled by Scotch, and coming to Sin City with a twitchy right leg. Now I could get that out by dancing the Charleston, or I COUUUUULD get that out by kicking someone in the jaw. And while BOTH are fun, I am Leeeeeaning towards the latter. But for those of you who do not know, allow me to share a few details about myself. You see, I made my name both in Europe and Japan, but sustained success in the Americas has been rather harder to come by. You see, the American market is a particularly tricky market to crack for a Scot, because most people don’t have a clue what I’m saying half the time. So I asked the production guys to put on subtitles, just to be sure!

Sure enough, there are subtitles. You’re reading them now.

KAIJU RAINBOW
But what makes me a Kaiju, you might be asking? Well, I got the nickname in the Japanese joshi circuit, because standing six feet tall in a world where most women were considerably shorter, I was like a very real Kaiju in the eyes of many of them. A giant amongst men... or, uh, women I guess! And the Rainbow part... well that’s just because I have a tendency to dump buckets of rainbow-coloured gunge over people’s heads. OH and my spectacularly vibrant and stylish outfits.

Garish may have been a better way of describing the Kaiju’s outfits, but hey-ho, we move on.

KAIJU RAINBOW
So now we have the introduction out of the way, I make my debut in a week or so’s time at the Inception supercard against the woman known as Masque. She is described on the blurb as “enigmatic” but from what I’ve seen of her, that might be a synonym for “loony”. She talks like one of those Victorian poets, and that makes me remember English Literature class at Dunfermline Comprehensive School and Mrs. Batty, who was a miserable old bat and I always hated her. “DE LUCA, I do not believe Shakespeare wrote the Nurse that way because his mother was annoying him that morning...” BITCH YOU DON’T KNOW! But that’s the thing, yeah? Godzilla has laser eyes, I have the smart eyes, I see things, I read between the lines. A power harnessed in multiple detentions Mrs. Batty gave me. I have to use that power to see BEHIND the Masque. Which... considering what she’s already said, means this match is probably less of a contest of combat and is spiralling dangerously close to a two-way psychoanalysis programme. That’s cool though, My psychology teacher was Mr. Clarke and he was an ABSOLUTE G. Shout out to you if you’re watching!

She grins.

KAIJU RAINBOW
You see, as athletes... nay combatants... NAY WARRIORS... it would really be much simpler if we just went in there and hit each other until one of us fell over. But wrestling is so much more than that, it is about the spectacle, the grandeur, the hype, the proverbial DICK measuring contest. And don’t think that last thing doesn’t apply because we’re Bombshells, because ANYONE can rock a massive PROVERBIAL dick. So I for one strive to entertain, I endeavour to stand up and be counted and make things fun for all of you. After all, dunking a bucket of gunge over someone’s head has no PRACTICAL purpose. If anything, it makes them slippery which probably makes them harder to pin. But it’s all about having fun, right? I am all about having fun in the ring, and making sure ALL OF YOU have fun as well. And pardon me if I’m overstepping my bounds, but... I don’t think, “enigmatic” as she may be, that Masque is really all about the FUN. She seems more about the Psychosomatic psychoanalysis, or if I’m honest, just being a bit weird. I mean... weird is fine! My sister’s kinda weird. It’s just, well... I don’t really see the two of us sharing much of a common discourse. We clearly come from different worlds. And that’s fine! After all, it takes all kinds of people to make the world, just as it takes many colours to make a Rainbow. But what I will say to you, Masque, is don’t worry about figuring me out, and who I really am. There’s one part of me you need to focus on, and it is not my heart, it is not my core, it is my FOOT, because if you are not VERY careful it will connect with your jaw so damn hard you’ll be on the soup through a straw diet for two weeks. I may seem dorky, and silly and a bit of a goof, but I am a trained, black-belt level fighter. So you, and everyone else on this bombshell roster better take me seriously. Because if you don’t... I will pout and start pulling your hair. And THEN kick you in the jaw!

She laughs.

KAIJU RAINBOW
I know monsters are supposed to be scary. I guess I’m more like one of those monsters from Monsters Inc?! Does anyone remember those movies? Am I old? DON’T ANSWER THAT ONE. But yes, I maybe should be more evil and scary and rawr, but I kinda like being a cuddly Kaiju. A friendly monster. A BFG. THE BFG. So Masque, I shall see you anon. I look forward to more of your weird ramblings!

She waves bye bye, as the camera clicks off and we fade to black.

Offline Terrorfexx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 08:16:48 PM »
Symphony of the Iron Underbelly, Movement No. II – Princess Pretender

[The Now]

He lunges, thick bunched fist swinging wildly in a lazy arc made for turning oil tankers and crop circles – not combat. Now. Snapping my hand up, pulling him in tight by the forearm and trapping it snug against my armpit, I drive the bridge of my composite-porcelain nose into widening eyes.

Plastic and cartilage break.

Wailing, disorientated, he stumbles backwards and makes the mistake of submitting to that instinctual need to stoop over; trying to put the shattered remains of his nose back together with pudgy fingers slipping in blood. His last mistake. Half-squatted and panting, the flat of my knee meets him halfway and sends a mixed aerosol of red phlegm and spit spraying across my shoes. It pools along the silver buckles strapped across my toes, running along grooves cut into the silver metal. It shines.

Tortured rasps rattle out from desperate lungs, struggling through ruined airways. He flops and jerks on the concrete, disturbing pools of stagnant water where his limbs spasm. The water settles back in ruts and crevices, and the desaturated rainbow-streaks of petrochemicals shimmer on its surface.

Dropping to a knee, I reach down and force his face towards mine with a firm grip on sweat-and-blood-slicked hair.

“Are you sorry?” I ask, the answer obvious but he is not sorry enough. Not yet.

His reply is impossible to understand, syllables strangled in grating gasps and groans. Mewling. The fingers of my prosthetic close tight to make a fist and I pull my free arm back slowly, methodically; like a mammoth siege gun rotating into an optimal firing position. Something animalistic in his hindbrain fires in panic and he tries to talk. Pieces of broken tooth sail away towards the concrete below, carried on red streams that clot along the edges of a soaking-wet shirt. Falling apart.

Tear it down. My fist stays cocked back, poised. “Are you scared?”

His pudgy face wobbles in some affectation of a nod, punctuated by a repetitive wheeze as his chin bounces against the folds of his neck and cuts off what remains of a shattered airway.

“Perhaps …” A new voice interrupts, “You could show him a little mercy?”

An audience, at last. Cocking my head to the side, I glance over at the man stood leaning on the brickwork nearby. His pinstripe suit shines in neat lines flashing white against black, courtesy of overhead spotlights strobing and flickering in decay.  “Are you asking for mercy?”

He thinks for a second, scratching at the neatly trimmed stubble framing his thin face.

“I think so,” He nods and pushes the frame of his steel-rimmed glasses up higher onto the bridge of a pointed nose. “You’ve made your point.”

He is correct, of course. The lesson is over. I would not expect anything less from a man of science. Climbing to standing, I sweep the hem of my dress up and out of the bloody water. Such a mess will stain. Doctor Frost is not a particularly difficult person to find – his services are a matter of public knowledge for those suitably educated or enabled, including matters conducted in quiet back-offices and in clandestine meetings. Away from prying and accidental eyes. He is, perhaps, less used to carrying out such business in back-alleys between decrepit apartment buildings and gutted, shattered warehouses. Favour fortunes the strong

However, needs must.

Frost pulls an orange handkerchief out from the folds of his suit jacket, buffing at the lens of his glasses. “I assume you’re looking for something specific?”

“Intravenous Hydralazine,” I reply.

He pauses for a second, focus shifting to me from the streak of condensation blocking his gaze out from the lenses held at arm’s length. Take it from him. “That’s an unusual request, but not particularly challenging. You obviously know me, and what I do so … Why go to the trouble of tracking me down here on my way to the theatre?”

Absurd. My head cocks to the side. “You are not going to the theatre, Doctor.”

Smiling, Frost slides the handkerchief back into his jacket. “No. I’m not. Very good, Miss … Is it even worth asking?”

“It is not.”

“So I assume discretion is therefore key,” He continues, languid and musing as if considering the possibilities. Frost shows no sign of the slightest intimidation despite the obvious power imbalance, and a potent display of said power now beginning to murmur and stir at my blood-flecked feet. “I wonder … Have we met?”

“Perhaps.”

A smile steals across the Doctor’s face for a few moments and, eventually, he nods. “Very well. Hydralazine …”

He looks at me, eyes narrowing slightly. Analysing. Evaluating. Be careful now. “ … Perhaps with Isosorbide Dinitrate? To counteract the chest pain.”

That was to be expected – he is no fool. I nod.

“Before we go any further,” Frost adds, “You need to understand that while I’m sure you’re a woman of significant means – your shoes and dress are quite beautiful – money is not always my primary motivator. I have a lot of clients, and most of them are extremely wealthy.”

He waits, and the silence extends out except for the gurgling on the floor nearby and the rumble of rubber-on-road out beyond the alley. Finish this. “I have already exhausted my mercy at your request …”

Holding his hands up in placation, Frost dips his head. “Of course, let me cut to the chase,” He says and steps closer. “Take off the mask and let me see your face.”

Kill him. “That is all?”

“There’s only me here, now,” He shrugs. Kill him now. “No-one else will ever know … And you can have what you want in whatever quantities you require.”

His offer is built on the twins of control and titillation, skewed in favour of the former. A power play – an unsophisticated one – but perhaps, as he says, there is only so much money can offer when it comes to more exotic clientele. Still, there is a better way. He is an animal. Snare him. A rebalancing of those two drivers in favour of the base, the fundamental biological drive; to titillate …

“You have a choice,” I say, reaching and flipping the hem of my red-smeared dress over to expose the crown of my thigh, sculpted muscle tensed with my weight pressed forwards. Flickering security lamps angled down from the rusting, weeping sides of the alley light the pale skin. A man of science! 

The Doctor shows almost no outward reaction but for all his intellect, he is still a slave to the physical and the signs of arousal are obvious. He swallows, blinking excessively. His fingers flex into fists. His eyes inspect me. He lusts.

Frost comes closer now, only a few inches away and looks up at me. “I’m curious, of course. Your face … But that is a very enticing offer. One I can’t sensibly refuse. Where–”

“Here,” I interrupt. “Now.”

He swallows again, reaching a hand out. Break every bone. It trembles. “ … May I?”

I nod, and his fingers gingerly slide down the cracked porcelain composite framing my temple. He traces the star-streaked pattern of damage, pressing. Probing. Lusting. When his hand pulls back slightly, my prosthetic seizes it tight. Kill him.

Again, the Doctor’s intellect reacts independently of his physiology. He grimaces in discomfort, a pain reflex, but Frost’s eyes are fixed on the white plastic fingers snaring his.

“If you touch my painted face again,” I say, “You will not wake up, eventually, like your bodyguard.”

Fuck him now. Taking a rough hold of Frost’s tie, I pull him hard back until the brickwork stops me further. It takes a few moments – he waits to see if his wandering hands will earn him an unplanned rhinoplasty procedure – but soon his confidence grows and he explores.

I feel my body respond physically. My heart begins the work of beating faster, engorging. Hormones diffuse into the blood, building towards chemical excitement and breathing comes in heaves. Like the good Doctor, I too am only an animal but unlike him, this happens clinically. I observe, but I am not a part of it. Detached, independent. Disconnected. Broken.

Excitedly – much too excitedly – he hikes up the hem of my dress. Greedy. In his rush and struggling with his belt, Frost smears the clotting blood on its hem across the pristine white of his dress shirt. I watch the red splatters twist and writhe with his thrusting. This would be a disappointing end to an evening, if I felt any connection to the moment. Climax.

However, needs must.

[The Rapture]

There is always a little humanity in even our most terrible creations. We are but what we make. A Kaiju – a strange beast – is a construct; a fantasy. Something made by us, for us. Now, at last, we move past the bombastic, surrealist pageantry of stomping monsters turning aside the best efforts of helicopter gunships as they crash around burning metropolises. We let the last handful of frames of cellophane rattle loudly as they snap against the empty projector spool, making our silver screen black. Fin.

Now, at last I meet you, Miss De Luca. We move away from the big picture and turn towards the audience.
Watching the watchers. What do we find when the lights in the auditorium come up to brilliant brightness?

You’ve made such a long, familial, journey; starting from those warm waters of the Mediterranean lapping against rolling golden dunes.
Does the breeze blow warm there? It evokes such tranquillity, but it is so very far away from where you ended up – the rugged northeast of England. Newcastle. To swap the shadow of Mount Etna for the trusses of Saint James’ Park, that must preface an interesting story. Have you ever watched the Magpies play? I wonder what it would be like to follow you? If I traced that same meandering path …   

It would end in disappointment. I have walked this spiral of yellow-brick after you, out towards some shining city far from the likes of Palermo, granted an audience with the great and powerful Kaiju Rainbow … Only to find a fraud. A pretender.
Did you get lost in a storm too? Pay no attention to the broken little girl behind the curtain. There are not enough pyrotechnics, parlour tricks or stretched literary metaphors to explain away the fundamental truth which only becomes obvious having sat through your tedious story, waiting for the credits to scroll, until we can see any resemblance to events or persons, both historical or actual, is entirely coincidental. A disclaimer for your whole life.

You wear – so ironic as to be almost toxic – a mask, but we both do so for different reasons. I chose to hide, while you chose to lie. A method actress without the talent or application for any other school of art, trapped inside her lines committed to clumsy memory, unable to summon any redeeming features not projected by cinemascape.
You are still reading for a part you won. All your resilience and robustness made from paper mache, chipboard and high-density foam. Given a superficial glaze of colour and texture so your hollow bones and tired heart could masquerade as steel. Grit. Strength. Humanity

Perhaps you should listen to your sister, who as both a paying customer and front-row for the undeniable budget effort euphemistically titled: Your Life, appears to have the measure of the fraudster-turned-wizard, of a discount Godzilla twirling arrow signs to the amusement of honking horns and whooping fools.
She misses you. There are strong parallels. You both appear to have gambled on letting fate decide your course, and that has brought you to SCW; will bring you to Reno, Nevada. To me. To us.

Who is Kaiju Rainbow? A fraud. A pretender. A latex suit between whose rubberised jaws a pair of panicked eyes blink reflexively, overwhelmed by the magnitude of what is waiting for you.
Something terrible. This is not a new beginning, little girl, this is your end. 

I am not interested in facing Kaiju Rainbow – fighting a figment of your blunted imagination, a facade with the complexity and challenge of a Rubik's Cube painted the same colour. Why would I show any desire to dance with a child’s finger painting? No. Instead, at Inception, I will fight Violetta De Luca. The woman inside the monster suit.
The person. She is the real threat … Of sorts. Perhaps, though, if she is one-tenth as emotionally devoid as suggested, I will be scaling the black basalt of a long-extinct volcano, running flash-glassed particulates through my fingers and wondering what wonderful destruction this might have been able to inflict, once upon a time. Before it died. Before you died, Miss De Luca.

Perhaps, however, I have the stomach for one more instalment of your life. Would you entertain a prequel?
The price is too high to pay. My leading lady, Violetta, and her (ex) husband. Instantly, I am intrigued. Gripped. Bought-in. Malevolent. I cannot trust anything you say – you are a liar and a shyster. After all, you told Mister Buck that you were no rookie, but who were you really describing? Violetta or Kaiju? Still, I wonder what Mister Flaherty might say, if our paths crossed? Nothing that would save him. He would undoubtedly hold such a beautiful, intoxicating truth about you. Secrets that were meant to stay secret. Something powerful to sell stories and fund telling them moreso. A way to pay for this beautiful concept pitch.

But the time for stories, for fiction, regardless of when they started or how happily they lived after, is over. You talk as if you are already dead – that your joyless, median existence averaged to remove any high or low to speak of is a practical laboratory experiment of the definition of ambivalence. I am only too pleased to offer to finish the job and conclude the test. The results are sure to confirm the original hypothesis.
Confirmation bias.   

I promise two things in Reno, Nevada:

I promise that you do not need to worry about feeling nothing, because you will suffer so very much and it will feel wonderful. You do not need to worry about life beating the shit out of you, Miss De Luca. I will do that myself.

Your future started in a dingy, greasy, Glaswegian airport terminal, surrounded by tartan-coloured paraphernalia, gallon-bottles of Buckfast, oversized boxes of tea cakes and garbage cans filled with shortbread.
Waiting in the cold. It ends in Reno.

You should listen to your sister more often. Jessica was right – you have found what you were looking for. Welcome to the Rapture.

[The Now]

The tiles are still a luscious green around their beveled edges, thin bright strips where decades and gaits have failed to wear out the colour and scuff through the finish. Ignoring the discomfort straining from what feels like everything, I shuffle over the edge of the examination table, teetering on a stainless steel lip. Extending my leg, foot pointed down, I press my toes against the cold ceramic. The flimsy hospital gown does nothing to suppress a shiver that runs all the way through me, making every strained muscle shudder.

Dried blood runs ringlets around my exposed thighs, snaking through black patches of mortar dust and mud. There are so many cuts–

The clatter of doubleset doors swinging open into the examination room breaks my concentration, and I look up. Shouts echo through; washed out screams, sobbing. Their desperate begging is worn out by a long journey through spartan corridors and sharp corners and by the time it spills through, the words that make their pleas for mercy – for relief – are tinny and hollow.

His thread-worn, once-white coat billows out to show flashes of disruptive camouflage underneath. A military doctor – and one fresh from the hellscape outside, judging by thick reams of wet, shining mud still clinging in fat bands around the soles of his scuffed and scored boots. In his gnarled hands he carries a clipboard stuffed with reams of smudged paper, and his eyes never leave its contents …

… Until he looks up and sees my face.

“Miss …” He trails off, eventually remembering the clipboard squeezed in his hands. His eyes scan through each page, noisily scrunching each one back behind the other as he rifles for an answer. “Miss …”

He frowns. “We don’t seem to have your name?”

“No,” I reply. He does not ask again.

Undeterred, he continues. “I’m Colonel Estavan, with the United Nations Peacekeeping Force. Please, call me Rian.”

I never used his name.

For the next few minutes, he talks but I do not really listen. Meaningless platitudes asking about why I was here, where I am from. The loud snap of latex breaks through my drifting focus and I flinch. The Colonel apologises, pulling on the rubber gloves bunching around the hilt of his palms. Something catches Estavan’s eye and he sets the clipboard down.

“Are these second doses?” He asks, gesturing towards a cluster of dirty-brown plastic bottles sitting inside a silver tray. The metal is tarnished, turning light grey in patches. The anti-tamper seals mating the caps to their respective bodies are still intact.

I shake my head. “No.”

For a few seconds he seems confused, forehead creasing. Suddenly, his eyes go wide and his head snaps around to find me.

“Have you taken any of the medication our triage team issued after they brought you in?”

“No.”

“Let me get this straight,” He says evenly. Pointedly. “You haven’t taken a single pill since we dug you out of that pit?”

I think he repeats himself, expresses more surprise, but my entire focus is now on the muddy smears making running tracks along my forearm. I can feel the hard dirt flex as my skin twists and where it flakes away, there are angry, hot burns. The Doctor’s voice continues as some background drone, competing and losing with the buzz of fluorescent lights mounted in the ceiling.

Something red splashes sharp contrast from my nose across the pristine blue of my hospital gown. Absentmindedly, I lift my hand to dab at the bright spot but a stump hovers in midair. The bandage is wet and my wrist is ringed in pink.

Estovan crouches down, forcing himself into my eyeline. “Can you feel them?” He asks, softly.

My lips open, reflexively, to answer but they hang in a neural limbo. Stuck in a loop waiting for input that never comes. Instead, I wordlessly mouth nothing, turning the stump about as if the missing hand – my missing hand – will come into view. There is no pain; pain exists as a warning. An indicator of harm or potential harm. It is too late now, so it is gone. Instead, an indescribable arcing runs the entire length of my arm, up to the fingertips ghosting through my blood-spattered gown. It burns like fire and feels so cold.

For the first time since he entered, I look at the Colonel with something like my full mind and nod.

“Do you remember when we found you?” He asks. “You were in a lot of pain …”

I remember screaming.

He shifts his weight, looking back towards the neglected medication. “You were calling for your mother. Can we get in touch with her for you?”

“She cannot help me,” I reply, looking back at my stump, then straight through Estovan. “ … And neither can you.”

Stop. My finger catches in a rut of the cracked porcelain, cleanly slicing through skin. Blood trickles into the rough channels, spreading out in radial patterns that follow each arm of a lopsided spiral. I drag the wound across the face of the mask, drawing red circles around the silhouettes made for the eyes. My eyes.

The damage is surface-level, superficial. Its strength is undimmed, intact. At most, the crack makes a story, something made in the past. Where it belongs. Turning the mask over in my slick hands, I press the plastic back up against my face and tighten its straps.

In the mirror hanging above a nearby basin, I watch something red shimmer in the recesses under my eyes, compressed between composite and skin and forced over the rim. It tracks down my mask in coloured streaks, pooling in those same cracks and stories from the past.

The future sits in a protective transit case in my lap. There is still so much to do. You must set her free. Releasing the latch, I reach inside with my god-given hand – the prosthetic has neither the dexterity or grace to risk what I have paid for without money ever being exchanged.

My prosthetic converts nerve impulses into equivalent electrical signals to drive solid-state amplifiers and servo-motors. It cannot operate on instinct and it has no reflex – it moves only when consciously commanded – and yet when I satisfy myself the glass vials inside the case are intact, I realise the prosthetic is spread wide and flat against my chest.

My prosthetic converts subtle variations in pressure and resistance into equivalent electrical signals to mimic nerve impulses my brain can interpret. It cannot make me feel anything … And yet, as its fingers play gently on the thick ribbon of scar tissue running in a vertical line from either side of my neck down to my naval …

Enough. I force the plastic hand away and down against the desk, hard, but it starts to tremble. It cannot do that.

Something fresh and wet spills over the rim of porcelain around my eye, and this time it runs clear. Broken.

[The Rapture]

Perhaps I have been searching for the wrong allegories. Threatening wordplay. Maybe, instead of looking at the rubber monster suit you wear to convince the world your Kaiju is real, focused at its devastating power on the silver screen, I should take inspiration from the annals of history. Your history, specifically.

The history of trying to be something you are not, and all those resultant miseries paid as a devastating penance for the people who bought into the lie. Your lie.
There are so much worse things than death.

You are a pretender, Violetta and as I think about where you came from before you took that first step on a spiralling path, made in yellow-brick, and on your way to pretend to be something emerald, another imposter springs to mind.
Off to see the Wizard. From less humble beginnings, perhaps, but intrinsically scored into your national consciousness. A role model for your latex Kaiju persona in the form of The Young Pretender.

Hailed as a hero by the ignorant, the hopeless, the hopeful – too hopeful – and those with more to gain than lose in the right circumstances, Bonnie Prince Charlie is lauded in your textbooks and your national discourse as a tragic hero.
Scotland the Brave. A legendary figure of bravery and poise and sacrifice. Willing to die to see the divine right of the Stuarts to rule Scotland reinstated; to restore the natural order of things. A King-in-Waiting, a champion, willing to die for his beliefs.

Willing to let everyone else die for his beliefs. I wonder what his remaining followers, those not butchered and left to feed the wildlife in the mud of Culloden battlefield, truly thought as they smuggled him across the sea from Lochaber dressed as a maid, and watched the coward disappear over the horizon?
They cried for their mothers.

He was born into ignorance, protected and instilled with a presumption for glory, with none of the skills or abilities required to make them his. He did not die with the men and women who died in his name. He slipped away peacefully in old age and marble halls of the Palazzo Muti.

The Prince died, realising perhaps finally at the very end only between himself and God, that he was not the person so many had been slaughtered – and worse – in the name of. There are so many things worse than death, after all.
Like life.

To be something you are not, and lead others to absolute ruin. It sounds so very familiar.

Bonnie Princess Letta, SCW’s own Young Pretender. Charlie fled in a rowboat soothed by Flora, tell me … How did you run from your ex-husband’s promotion? Pretending to be a pauper?
Over the Sea to Skye.

Perhaps I could draw this out further, assign myself a role in this new allegory? There are so many powerful personas to choose from, each wearing a different mask. Subtle political machinations, intractable familial dynasties?
Take the knife and finish it.

No. We have talked and subtly manoeuvred for too long already.
Push the hilt inside. It is time for decisive, agonising, action. It is time to generate misery and make such a lot of regret for all the things that are about to happen to you. It is time to put you, Miss De Luca, and your Kaiju puppet down. I have read the book and the film adaptation of your life and it is tedious. Your trials and tribulations are millimetres-deep, unworthy of further sequels, reimaginings or reboots. You will be dismantled. I will play the role of Butcher in this final scene in Reno, Nevada – I will be your Duke of Cumberland. Your curtain-call.

A Prince turned Princess Butcher,
masqued, versus your Pretender.

He gave Charlie’s ignorant, hopeless, hopeful men no quarter at Culloden. They crossed him and they died screaming for their mothers in the blood and mud.
A Highland Slaughter. When he found wounded Jacobites – such hopeful men before their Young Pretender abandoned them to flee back to luxury and comfort! – struggling to hold their insides inside, he had them bayoneted. No quarter.

But these are only allegories, stories. We are not the characters we play, not face-to-face.
Mask-to-mask. I do not want you to think I offer you nothing at Inception, Violetta. That could not be further from the truth, and would show such disrespect to royalty.

While you are unworthy to join me in the Rapture, I have something chosen just for you as an alternative:

No quarter for the Princess Pretender.

D̶o n̶ot b̶e fri̶ght̴e̵n̵ed. M̷i̵n̵e i̵s t̴he̵ la̴st vo̷i̵c̶e yo̴u w̶ill eve̴r h̸ear.