Author Topic: A final test  (Read 633 times)

Offline Alex Jones

• View Profile
    • Alex Jones
A final test
« on: March 03, 2021, 09:34:45 PM »
One Bad Day

It was still pitch black outside as the clock told him it was time to wake up. Red flashing numbers along with a small buzzing hum right next to his head forced him to get up.; The body didn’t feel the same as it used to. Pops, cracks and aching muscles were his greeting as he sat up and turned. His eyes looked out the window across the room that faced out onto the street. The snow was falling, the white flecks hitting the window as the street was bitch black aside from a few street lamps that were obscured by the falling blanket that seemed to not let up.

Alex groaned as he got to his feet, the heated floor helping some as he moved from the bed, his wife Sonya stirring but still asleep.

He moved his arms, rolled his neck and shook out his body. Alex was still in great shape despite being in his late thirties and having years of landing on hard surfaces and getting beaten up under his belt. He took a long deep breath before moving into the bathroom. The difference in temperature under his feet shocking him as he stepped from the heated floor of the bedroom onto the cold white tiles of the bathroom, the cold shot up his feet and ankles, right passed his knees and up his body. He was definitely awake now.

His hand reached out, turning on the water waiting for it to get warm as he washed his face, standing back up and looking into the mirror. There were bags under his eyes, a few grey hairs in his beard that had once been jet black. Crows feet had formed in the corners of each eye. It seemed as if Alex had aged ten years in ten weeks.

The stress had gotten to him, built on top over and over.

It wasn’t just the losing streak. It wasn’t just his in ring performances. No, even in loss Alex felt as if he could be proud of the fight he put up against some of the best. It was the gym. While everything was going well financially. And while new members had come to train and be the best, there was one member, a brother, family, who had been causing him pain, frustration and anxiety. And he was about ready to snap.

He had been awake five minutes and already hatred had entered his chest, his hands gripping the bathroom bench hard and squeezing it as a small growl bubbled from his throat.

He was angry, and this wasn’t the first time. There were precious few moments in between waking up, looking over at his wife in a loving way, thinking about how lucky he was, before the reality hit him in the face like a brick. He would have to go to the gym, walk in and act as if business was usual, all the while knowing it was a lie.

He let out a small sigh and heard Sonya get out of bed, her footsteps getting closer as she leaned against the doorframe.

She gave him a small grin, her hair flipped over one side, her eyes still looking as if she could crawl back to bed. She wore one of Alexs’ shirts, her arms folded as he looked him up and down, he gave a small nod and smile back. ”Another day on the grind.” She was right of course. Wolfslair the group was successful in SCW, but the gym as a whole was growing in size and prominence. From the young kids who were just making their way in the business to seasoned veterans who had come to join.

Wolfslair the business was booming.

So, then why was Alex so miserable? Why did it feel like one bad experience was ruining it all? He took in a deep breath and looked over at Sonya. ”I don’t know how we keep doing this. Long days, hard training.” He paused and gave a small shrug leaning against the bathroom counter.”It should be fun right?” The question hung in the air. Sonya moved from the door frame and reached out grabbing Alex by the arm before sliding her hand to his intertwining their fingers.

She gave a nod back and pursed her lips together before standing on her tip toes to kiss him. While Sonya was an impressive physical specimen. In great shape, stong and fast, she was still only 5’6. ”Aren’t you having fun? Working with me everyday? And your sister? Not to mention all the kids we train...our little wrestle-babies” Alex laughed, he was always amused by the term. But she was right. Alex and Sonya had their son, they also looked after Alexs’ daughter Harley. But the kids at the gym were like their children too. Just in a different way. ”Just because one oifd them is acting up doesn’t mean life is going down the drain.”

He scoffed and shook his head. ”I know, I just….I don’t know how to stop it. Austin is tearing himself and the gym apart.”

He trailed off. Sonya put her head on his chest, Alex wrapped his arms around her as a reflex and gave his wife a squeeze. He couldn;t help but feel happy with her. She was what kept him grounded, prepared in life. Sonya was his rock. And now, without saying a thing she had helped him realise, it was nall going to be ok. He just needed to focus on what was important. And get his mind back into the ring. Where he could make a difference.

A final test

”Here we go again…”

Alexs’ voice cuts through the darkness. We fade in, he’s sitting on a chair with his arms leaning down on a table. In the hotel room he’s staying in prior to SCW’s climax control. Leaving New York a few days early, he needed time to decompress and get in the mindset.

”Another loss, another failure. I’m under no illusions here, losses happen in the world of professional wrestling, sometimes you go on streaks and pull yourself out of a tailspin. But this time? Well this time I’m not so sure of what I can and can’t do. Cause, to be honest I can hear the whispers, they’re getting louder and instead of them being said behind my back, well, they’re now being said in front of my face. Like I’m not even in the room. And it’s all the same. Alex Jones doesn’t have it anymore. Alex Jones is washed up. He was able to fluke that tenth world title and got rid of Griffin Hawkins for nothing…”

“I hear it, I do. And I’d be lying if I said it didn’t get in my head a little more than it used to. See, back in the day I wouldn’t care.”

“I’d ignore everything that was said because deep down I knew how good I was. I knew what I was capable of.”

“And now? Well, not the mind is willing but the body is struggling. I went toe to toe with Ben Jordan and put in a great performance, and lost. I got in the ring with Fenris and Austin destroyed it. I faced Vinnie and O’malley and came up short again. And yeah, three of those matches had extenuating circumstances. But, all that matters is if you walked out with the win or the loss. And I lost. And I’m man enough to admit it even if O’Malley wants to talk his shit like the child he is.”

Alex shrugs and looks away, having a difficult time maintaining eye contact with the camera.

”But, assessments about my performance aren’t the only whispers I keep hearing. I hear all the comments about Wolfslair, the group is splitting at the seams because of Austin and his actions. Alicia and Johanna have been silent and as a group we don’t look like a unit. And I can’t disagree with it. Things seem to be falling apart but at the same time Wolfslair has grown. The gym has gotten fresh blood injected right into it. Lachlan Kane and my opponent this week. Miles “Milo” Kasey have both joined.”

Alex can’t help but smile and take a long deep breath in before pushing up to his feet.

”And how funny is it that Miles and I get put up against one another a week after he decided he wanted to take up my offer to train at Wolfslair?. Now, Miles and I aren’t friends, we’re not close like I am with other members of the gym, but there is a reason I wanted Miles in there. When it comes to training in a group like this, going against each other on a regular basis the strongest gym has the strongest growth. And that’s why I wanted guys like Milo and Lachlan in there. See, Milo, I’m not blind to your talent, I think that’s clear. I can see the untapped potential and as good as you’ve been there’s still so much more you can do. So much more left to unlock.”

“That’s why you wanted to train with us right? You look at Wolfslair the group and see Austin, myself, Johanna and Alicia. You see ten separate title reigns between us just in this company. Then you see the gym and look at all the current and future stars. Training together, rolling together. Feeding off one another to try and become the best.”

“You know what the deal is with us Milo and I appreciate that.”

“You can add so much to the gym, just like we can help you, but, you have to put up with moments like this, when you will get booked against people you train with. And this time, well, it’s for a reason. See, you know my past kid, you know what I’ve done, I’ve been to the top of every single company I have been in. WWH, Honor, SCW. The last three major companies I stepped foot in and all three of them I held their world title. Honor wrestling was TWICE.”

Alex pauses and smiles with a nod.

”So this Milo, this random match. Is a test. It’s a tast for me to see just where you are in the pecking order on Wolfslair. And you can look at this two ways. You can either think you’re facing a fading star and the head of wolfslair, or, you’re facing a former ten time world champion who is hungry for a win and is eyeing off a young lion. I’m looking forward to this match, I want to see what you’ve got and win or lose you know I’ll be back in the gym ready to kick your ass the day after. And you also know because you had the balls to put your name on a contract to train with us that I respect you.”

“I look forward to seeing just what you have to offer and if I was right about you and I swear to god I hope I was. I am an excellent judge of talent Milo, so I am begging you to prove me right. I’m begging you to walk down to that ring and give me a fight.”

“Afterwards, I’ll shake your hand, I’ll thank you and we can go on with our lives, maybe you’ll learn something...but you’ll damn sure know you’ve been in a competition….lets light up the world kid…”