Author Topic: Despy and the Dragon  (Read 558 times)

Offline Despayre

• Beware the stare
    • View Profile
    • Despayre
Despy and the Dragon
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:57:09 PM »
Las Vegas, Nevada - Monday February 15

Gosh golly gee! It sure has been a long time since we last visited this particular Las Vegas abode, hasn't it? Almost three whole years to be exact, and no we are not counting that time O’Malley and the missus showed up out of the blue to ask a favor of Synn. This here is more personal in nature, coupled with a touch of whimsy. This here is ALL about Despayre - and Angel. And in case you've been living under a rock, you ALWAYS include Angel!

The large, two story house built in modern architecture sat quiet as the sun had risen in this early midmorning hour. The sky had an overcast look of gray clouds with an almost wet chill, offering the threat of rain. Or if the temperature dipped any further as it had in other areas of the country, perhaps some Frosted Flakes of the snow-sort? Snow? In Las Vegas? One could only hope!

But I digress! We're here and inside of the home office of the head of this household (no, not Angel) but Synn himself, the father of the man of the hour (again, not Angel) but Despayre. Even during the so-called lock down that the vast majority of Americans foolishly and Arrogantly ignored, Synn took no chances with the well being of those in his home. While Despayre went about his own to keep himself amused, both at home and helping out now and then at the GO Gym, Synn maintained his own business workings. And now that Despayre had managed to talk his way into the 2021 Blast From the Past tournament, things grew more interesting.

As Synn busied himself on his desktop, his business phone rang and rather than interrupt his work, he put it on speaker, greeting the caller with a “hello?”

The voice of SCW Co-Owner Christian Underwood was on the other end, stating, “Synn, it’s Christian. I saw you and Despayre left early last evening. I wanted to be certain you were aware of his first round match with Amber next week.”

“Yes, sorry about the early exit. Joshua was convinced he was going to get gang-smooched by the Bombshells on Valentines Day. And then he went and had that run in with Amber Ryan so that sealed his exit.” Synn replied, “Who are the opponents?”

“Mark Cross and Krystal Wolfe.”

“Hunh.” Synn pulled his gaze away from the computer screen and focused on the phone for a moment. “That makes things awkward, but I suppose it’s the risk of this event. Still, a very formidable combination.”

“True.” Came Christian’s response. “I just wanted to make sure that boy of yours was aware. See you both on Sunday.”

“Goodbye.” Synn shut the phone off, and his emerald green eyes went to his office door and he said, “Alright Joshua, I know you’re out there listening.”

And only a split second later, the door opened and Despayre’s head popped through with an innocent smile but inquisitive look in his own gray eyes. He asked, “Do you have X-Ray specs or something? How did you know?”

“Because I know you.” Was all the explanation Synn had to offer. Despayre then popped the door open the rest of the way and practically leapt in, still wearing his sleepy time clothes of a plain t shirt and Looney Tunes pajama pants, arriving at his dad’s desk in a single bound. Such was his heightened level of excitement.

“I suppose you heard the news about your match next week?” Synn inquired, and Despayre fidgeted with barely contained elation, a smile that beamed and fidgeting near uncontrollably. Synn then followed up, “And the fact one of Gabriel’s students is one of your opponents?”

But Despayre then shook his head and countered with, “Krystal is Amber’s opponent! Mark is mine!”

“Still,” Synn started. “It could make things awkward?”

“I’ll be fine!” Despayre assured him, then his eyes popped wide open. “Oo! I hafta tell Missus O’Heaney the good news!” And he immediately did a U-Turn to leave when Synn spoke up…

“You know you can’t enter her house yet, correct? Not until you get your vaccination?”

“I know. I have a solution to that!” Which only gave Synn a sense of wondering dread while his boy raced out of the hall and to the left… then a second later he raced back the other way, stating, “I should change first!”

And just across the street, inside of an old fashioned Victorian style house, an oddity in this otherwise relatively modern neighborhood, the aforementioned Eileen O’Heaney was walking through her home’s interior with the aid of a cane. She always kept her home relatively dark because too much light hurt her eyes, and to cut back on bills, but it was near noon and she felt some natural sunlight would be pleasant while she watched her stories. Maybe an open window for some fresh air until her caregiver returned and would close it again against her wishes.

Mrs. O’Heaney took the cord and pulled the drapes open -- and promptly let loose with a surprised shriek! Her friend/antagonist Despayre was standing right there with his masked face pressed up flat against the window pane. He waved at her and even the mask he had to wear couldn’t hide his smile as she clutched her chest and promptly scolded the lad.

“Are you TRYING to give me a heart attack!? What on Earth do you think you’re doing!?”

But the heated words from the elderly woman who was known as the most hated in the neighborhood (by everyone BUT Despayre) rolled right off as he just called out, “I have good news!”

“And what, a phone call couldn’t suffice?”

Despayre pondered this for a moment before he shook his head in the negative.

“And why on earth not??”

“Because I wanted to tell you in person!” Despayre answered. “I haven’t seen you in forever!”

“Yes, it has been rather peaceful in the neighborhood.” The eighty-plus year old widow remarked, but again, it was lost. Especially when Despayre added, “I missed you.”

THAT was just hitting below the belt, as far as the old woman was concerned. Nobody in recent memory, not even her own family, had uttered those words to her. Few people had ever broken through the proverbial walls she had erected around herself after her dear husband’s death over forty years ago. This young man was one of the few exceptions, pestering her into having no other choice BUT to let him be her friend whether she liked it or not.

And truth be told -- she did.

“Well, out with it then!” She barked, both hands on the head of her Dane for support. “What's this so-called ‘good news’?”

“I get to wrestle again!” Despayre cried gleefully “Next weekend!”

“What are you going on about?” Mrs. O’Heaney asked. “I thought you retired? Two-three years ago?”

“No, at least not officially.” Despayre tried to explain, tucking his hands into his pockets by force of habit and he shrugged his slim shoulders “I kinda sorta just … stopped.”

“I see.” She observed with a critical brow. “And you're certain you won't get hurt?”

“I'll be fine.” Despayre smiled, obviously pleased that she had taken an interest in his well being. “Me and my partner Amber are wrestling a friend, Krystal, and Mark…” But whatever else he was saying was interrupted by a critical scowl.

Mrs. O’Heaney said, “Amber? Young man, are you telling me that you are wrestling a young lady?”

“No. No!” Despayre shook his head rapidly. “Noooo! My partner wrestles the girl on the other team. I wrestle the guy!”

“Oh, well that's fine then.”

“So…?” Despayre inquired hopefully. “Will you watch?”

She sighed in faux annoyance, coming get close to a full fledged eye roll. “I suppose. IF there's nothing else on.”

“‘Kay!” Despayre glowed. That's what she ALWAYS said and she ALWAYS watched. He gave her an excited farewell wave before he turned and ran back towards his house. JUST missing the wisp of a smile on the old woman’s lips.

Messterpiece Theater
w/Joshua Kooky

As the classical theme song from Masterpiece Theater played in the background, the opening shot is that of a book's spine where inscribed in gold lettering was "Messterpiece Theater". It rolled over and faded to a close up shot of a tabletop, polished oak and a silver bowl filled with purple Skittles. The camera pans to a bust of Duck Dodgers of the "Looney Tunes" franchise. Moving aside from that, a silver tray piled high with chocolate chip cookies and a glass decanter filled with ice cold milk. Moving further up the elegant table was a framed photograph of a teddy bear (two guesses as to who!) and just behind that, in a gold leaf frame, a picture of Queen Elizabeth herself. The camera panned over to a small row of books, personal favorites such as "Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree" and "Where the Wild Things Are."

The camera panned across a large display case, where rested several championship belts with golden emblems, such as the AWA International, AWA World Tag Team, NWA World Tag Team, SCW World Tag Team, and SCW Internet. Also in the case was an elaborate trophy for the Blast From the Past Memorial tournament, along with a Hall of Fame plaque and four Most Popular of the Year trophies.

A bookcase was set on the far wall, and there, seated in an old English chair before it and in front of a window looking out across the night skyline, was our host. Clad in a purple smoking robe and Taz slippers. A bubble pipe in his hand and a crystal goblet of Cherry Coke on the table at his left. With an open book on his lap, he looked up to the camera and smiled.

“Hello friends, and welcome to a very special edition of Messterpiece Theater. I am your host, Joshua Kooky. Tonight, we share with you a fanciful tale of bravery. Who doesn’t love the tales of brave and bold knights in shining armor who venture out into a land of fantasy and danger, and all to save a beautiful princess from a rampaging Dragon? That is the fable we have for you here this evening. A little tale I like to call -- ‘Despy’s Dragon.’”

Joshua Kooky blew some bubbles from his pipe and raised a glass in toast as the camera wavered to a new scene…

Have you ever had a really bad acid trip? No? Good! That stuff is NO GOOD! Well then, how about a really funky dream after eating Taco Bell and Lucky Charms for a late night snack? Yes? Okay then! In that case, we’re in business because a trip like that would explain why we’re seeing such a setting!

A painted background of a blue sky and smiley face sun. Clouds that did not move in the wind because -- there was no wind. We would have had trees but the budget (you understand) -- so we’re substituting ferns as a ‘clip clop’ sound was heard from deep within the woodland realm. Oops! There goes Despayre’s cat Sebastian scurrying across the scene. Alas! Well if you ask Jake Sullivan aka Rage, you’d know that this feline is a beast to fear! But it was through these ‘trees’ that our brave hero emerged atop his mighty steed!

Sir Despy, the fabled Silver Knight, rode atop his toy horse, bucking up and down to get the legs to flex and move him along his chosen path. Clad from head to toe in a shiny, silver knight’s armor, our hero rides along as he looks through the armor’s visor at the devastation that surrounds the countryside.

“Well I WOULD if I could see out of this thing!” He whined - right before he rode headlong into a ‘tree’ and fell over, horse and all. He rocked back and forth like a turtle trying to rise from its back, then finally threw himself over onto his hands and knees and used his toy lance to push himself back to a standing position.

“I meant to do that!” Sir Despy called out. “And I’m alright if anyone is concerned!”

Crickets chirped. A bird flew over the skyline. Sir Despy shook his head.

“So. Rude!” And with one last look at his poor, fallen steed, another grisly victim of the Dragon, before he moved on. “Gee I hope Dad can get the deposit back on that thing or he’ll have my head! Just glad I didn’t break Theresa’s fern or else she’d do worse than what this Dragon might!”

Sir Despy stood at the pinnacle of the cliff, looking out over the devastation of Lord Synn’s kingdom. Smoke rose up from the charred lands. The trees burned. Animals of the forest were simply -- gone. And it was up to him to save…

“Darn it!” Sir Despy complained audibly as he reached up to grasp his helmet and struggled to pry it off, but it just would not budge! He stabbed his toy lance into the ground so that he might use both hands to free himself of this contraption, but it did him little good because that helmet was stuck tight! So engrossed was he in freeing himself, he did not realize that he was in imminent danger! He did not smell the fresh brimstone from the Dragon’s breath! He did not hear the stomps as the Dragon’s clawed feet stomped the ground, drawing itself ever so much closer toward our brave and heroic Knight!

Then, from behind Sir Despy, the dreaded Dragon rose up, it’s visage truly a horror to behold (mostly because it looked like a Muppets reject but this is Despy here! Cut him some slack!)! It gnashed its yellow teeth, the sign of its last victim hanging from the dreaded fangs; a large Cross.

(Dragon? Cross? Hunh? Hunh?)

The Dragon leaned in close from behind and blew a gust of hot air against Sir Despy’s back, causing him to groan.

“I’ll be glad when this adventure is over and I can get out of this armor! It’s not even March and already hot out!”

Finally giving up on the helmet, Sir Despy grabbed at his lance and gave it a mighty tug, tearing it free from the earth a little TOO hard as he swung about in a spin and ended up with his weapon stuck right up the Dragon’s hooter! Sir Despy gave it a tug, then a harder one, but could not remove as the Dragon started to

Sir Despy then let go of the lance with one hand and lifted up his visor so that he might see…

“Gadzooks! It’s YOU! … Say can you let me get this loose? We’re on a bit of a time crunch here.”

And the answer came in the form of the Dragon’s roar and it pulled back, dragging our brave hero along the group until Sir Despy braced himself and Knight and Dragon were engaged in an epic tug of war!

“Oh come ON! Be a pal!”

“Roar! Growl!” Went the stubborn Cross Dragon, as it would come to be known because the narrator just thought of it!

“Fine! Be stubborn!” Sir Despy chastised the evil beast and he let go of the lance and instead looked behind a large boulder and pulled forth -- a fire extinguisher? Sir Despy looked at the camera and shrugged.

“Oh what else would you have been expecting!?”

And he squeezed the extinguisher’s trigger -- and promptly sprayed himself right in the kisser in a cloud of mist and foam! Sir Despy was blinded! The Cross Dragon blinked and watched in bewilderment, all signs of its evil forgotten as it gazed at the silly but loveable Knight who swung blindly and then fell off backward over the cliff - plummeting - a foot at most and landed with a whuff, the air driven from his lungs!

With a formidable growl, the Cross Dragon lurched over the edge of the cliff to finish the Knight off, when a sword was brought down over it’s reptilian noodle, and the beast finally went down, defeated! The camera pulled out to reveal the sword being held by -- the Lady Amber!?

Sir Despy was standing once again, straining with his helmet, trying to pry it off of his noggin’ and see what was amiss, when Lady Amber approached him, her princess gown torn and charred from the Dragon’s rank breath when she had been taken captive. She watched him briefly and she cleared her throat, causing him to stop and he looked -- everywhere.

“Sir Despy?” Lady Amber called. “Is that you?”

“Well I don’t know!” He whined. “I can’t get my helmet off to see!”

With a resigned sigh, Lady Amber reached over and flipped the small latch that held the helmet secure so it did not fall off amidst battle, and it fell to the ground with a clatter. Sir Despy looked down at that confounded helmet, then at Lady Amber…

“I knew that.”

“I’m sure you did.” Lady Amber declared. “Then perhaps you can explain something else to me?”

Sir Despy raised his eyebrows in comical questioning, and the Lady gripped her pink princess gown and held it out.

“WHY am I dressed like this!?”

“Well, you’re a princess - obviously! Every other team has been working together somehow. I bet Mark and Krystal are doing something together. You even hosted that ice cream social for me, remember?”

Lady Amber closed her eyes and smiled politely, nodding. A supreme effort on her part (the smiling, not the nodding).

“You see?” Sir Despy explained. “So I figured we had to do something together too! Only…”

He looked down at the defeated Dragon at the hands of Lady Amber and he whispered, “You can’t do stuff like that on Sunday! We’ll end up disqualified.”

“I… I am so lost!” Lady Amber rubbed her temples with her fingertips, earning her a sympathetic pat on the shoulder as the credits started to roll.

“That’s okay!” Sir Despy said with a comforting smile. “There are other things to wonder about.”

“Such as…?”

Sir Despy leaned in close to Amber and pointed at the screen.

“Like whose names are those?”

Lady Amber turned to the credits and frowned, “What the f…”

The echo of footsteps were heard across the small stage, the echo reverberating against the walls. They grew louder, getting closer and onto the stage emerged -- Angel? Clad in a powder blue business suit with matching bow tie, the Teddy Bear of the Millennium strode casually to the podium that just so happened to be just his size. He took his place and shuffled the papers before him.

“Oh some now! You can’t be THAT surprised to see me! I mean, there’s been plenty of stranger things that have happened in Despayre promos over the past decade. Trust me, I should know. I’ve been there! Despayre wanted to be here himself, but you can blame Amber Ryan for the sugar crash he’s currently going through. Poor kid is out cold! And as far as Amber lending me a hand? Well, let’s be honest…”

Angel casually glanced back over both shoulders before motioning the camera forward and then cupping a paw over his mouth to whisper.

“I think I may have broken her!”

He cleared his throat.

“But I digress. This isn’t about Despayre or Amber… well it is, but this is more about the two who they’re going to be going up against in just a handful of days; namely Krystal Wolfe and Mark Cross. True. Despayre won’t be stepping foot inside of the ring against Krystal, and even if intergender wrestling was permitted in SCW, Despayre is far too much of a gentleman to participate in something so barbaric. Besides, he knows Krystal from her days as one of the earliest students at the GO Gym. Evie being the very first, of course.”

“Despayre was there from day one, watching every step of Krystal’s journey. True, he may not have been hands on with her training. That was left mostly to Odette since Despayre has pointed out time and again he has never assisted with in-ring training with one of Gabriel and Odette’s female students. Chances are, when Krystal was in the ring, learning the ropes (Get it? Ropes? Wrestling ring?) Despayre was either off fighting the vending machine for a snack or he was watching something on his phone beneath the ring. Or -- he just might have been paying close enough attention to everything that went on inside of the ring with Krystal, thinking maybe a day like this might come? A day where he might not be an actual opponent for the young lady, but someone at his side would be. And in watching how she trained, learning her strengths and weaknesses -- he’d be able to pass along those valuable little nuggets of information to someone like -- say -- Amber Ryan?”

“Loyalty is one thing between those that set foot inside of the GO Gym, but when you’re on opposite sides of the ring, with a chance at the World Championships? Then it all becomes the spirit of competition! And any juicy gossip he might have that could be useful to Amber? You can bet the boy is going to spill the beans! After all -- he can’t keep a secret like I can!”

“And The Dragon? Well, we’ve all seen what this man has been capable of inside of the ring, in both SCW as well as SCU. I mean, hello! 2020 Blast From the Past Champion? Ring a bell there? The irony is the fact that in 2020, Mark was also teamed with a graduate of the GO Gym, Evie Jordan. And who doesn’t know Evie! And I’m willing to bet that Mark is banking on making a little history two-fold. Not ONLY by tying Evie by becoming a two-time Blast From the Past winner, but also by doing so back to back years AND -- both times being teamed with a partner from the GO Gym? Pretty impressive, wouldn’t you say? Or, it would be if when Mark has the ultimate chances to follow up, he didn’t -- well, choke.”

“Now some have tried to go and claim that Evie carried Mark to the Blast From the Past championship, and much as I respect Evie, that’s just not true. I’ve done my research!”

Angel tapped a paw to his head.

“This is ALL about a team effort, and as much as the Dragon annoyed Evie, they were just that;  a team. CC 262, Mark beat Mister TNA to get that first step closer. Climax Control 264, Evie beat Tallyn to go to the Semis. Climax Control 265, the Dragon pinned Teddy Warren to get his team to the finals. And at Blaze of Glory VIII, Mark pinned Javi Gonzales to win the tournament for his team. Pretty impressive for them both, wouldn’t you say? But when it came time for Cross to try and add the SCW Championship to his SCU Underground laurels, well -- Ben Jordan proved that SCW is where the big boys play. And you know, ever since Ben defeated the Dragon, things have kind of been hit and miss for Cross in his SCU stomping grounds. Have you noticed that?”

“About his biggest news to date has been riding the coattails of that group, GRIME. Anything for a little extra notoriety, amIright? Or how he makes some waves on Twitter by annoying random Bombshells that have taken a liking to his opponent this weekend; Mikah, now Amber? Is that supposed to impress? Get under the skin? Are those what the Dragon might consider mind games? Who knows! Because if he knew Despayre half as well as he might imagine, mind games?”

Angel shook his head, eyes closed.

“They don’t work too well on my boy. Despayre is a being of pure instinct. Anger? Fear? Nerves? He’s encountered all of the above in the ring with some of the cruelest and most calculating individuals in the sport; Goth. Chris Shipman. Sean Jackson. And only Sean passed the test in their cage match and walked away the winner. More often than not, Despy is the type to survive even the most insurmountable odds so he can walk away the winner. Remember ‘Dragon,’ everything you’ve accomplished in SCW - so has Despayre. And more! 2016 Blast From the Past Champion with Crystal Millar! Two-time Internet Champion! Three-time World Tag Team Champion! And only two people, in all these years, have EVER pinned Despayre’s shoulders to the mat; Gabriel Stevens himself and J2H. Mark Cross is not going to be the third.”

"Connor Murphy. The GIANT Casey Williams. Goth. Those are the men Despayre beat in `16 to get his team to the finals! Not bad, huh?"

“The sad fact about professional wrestlers is they see someone smaller than them in the ring and think it gives them an automatic edge. That’s been the case ever since Despy first set foot inside of a ring back in AWA. From his singles career to the time he spent teaming with men like Gabriel, Jake and Big B, the men they faced took one look at him and wrote him off. They just assumed because he was small, that his partners carried him. They think because Despayre is so little, it’s going to be easy pickings -- only to find themselves being picked apart by this little force of nature. Maybe Krystal and Cross will assume this as well between Despy and Amber? Who knows? But if they make that same mistake so many others have made over the years, then woop!”

Angel jet a paw back over his shoulder.

“The Dragon and the Wolf will be out of this tournament faster than Mexican water through an American tourist! And all of Mark Cross’s plans to emulate Evie will be tossed out the window and his dreams left scattered in the wind. And you know what I don’t think the Dragon has picked up on if that happens? The further Despayre and Amber advance, the more likely it’ll be that Despayre actually fulfills Cross’s own dreams and goals! Because winning the 2021 tournament will make Despayre a two-time champion himself! Pretty nifty, huh Dragon?”

“You think just because ‘the Dragon’ has seven inches and about seventy pounds on Despayre, it’s an automatic win? Ask wrestlers like Rage aka Jake Sullivan. Or Casey Williams. Both men dwarfed Despayre in the ring, and both were defeated. Even a maker of the stars like Gabriel Stevens can’t explain how someone so little can take down men two-three times his size! I’m sure both he and Synn are working overtime making sure my boy is ready for his first match in over three years.”

“Ring rust? It won’t be an issue. I know after nearly three years out of competitive wrestling that’s going to be another natural assumption. How can someone, anyone, be at their peak capacity when they haven't wrestled since 2018? It's simple, really. You have a support group of those who love you."

"What exactly do you think Despayre has been doing in the GO Gym all this time? True, he might not have been on tour like the lot of you, but he has still been inside the ring. Sparring. Helping Gabriel and Odette train the next generation of stars when they need it. Heck! He’s helped with Superstars like Fenris! Did your partner Krystal share THAT little nugget of information? No. Hm, shame. Maybe you should have a chat with her about opening up the lines of communication like Despayre has been with Amber. Now THAT’S teamwork!”

“My point is, Despayre has everything he needs around him to make sure he’s ready for the Dragon on Sunday. You don’t think he takes bumps when he’s in there with GO students? You don’t think Gabriel and others haven’t indulged the lad with sparring matches every now and then just to keep his (and their) own ring skills sharp? You just don’t get as far as the Seven Deadly Sins and GO graduates have by not being ready for anything and everything that this business can - and will - throw your way! And here’s a little nugget of information for you Mark, since Krystal probably hasn’t been sharing much; Gabriel and Synn have both stated they don’t try to get Despy to focus on an opponent, or the matches he’s in. Oh sure they might point out a weak point like any good friend or trainer would do, but the secret to Despy’s success is they simply. Turn. Him. Loose!”

“It’s worked for him pretty well so far! Sunday will be no different. And don’t worry about Despayre usurping your dreams and goals. He’s a nice kid, just ask anyone. I’m sure he’ll let you live vicariously through him.”

Angel paused for a moment in contemplation.

"Maybe I was wrong. I guess it IS all about Despy and Amber."

That being said, Angel took a single step back from the podium, turned and exited stage left. The spotlight winked out and …

Despayre sat upright in bed and rubbed at his sleepy eyes with his hands.

“Well!” He said, casting a glance over to Angel who was yet snuggled comfortably under his blankets. “That dream was certainly convenient!”
>

"A teddy bear does not depend upon mechanics to give him the semblance of life. He is loved - and therefore he lives."