Author Topic: Season of the Witch II  (Read 463 times)

Offline Son of Salem

• View Profile
    • Kedron Williams
Season of the Witch II
« on: October 30, 2020, 06:52:12 PM »

Salem, Massachusetts

While Kedron Williams fully acknowledged that he had purchased this land for one reason; Rinoa had fallen in love with it and the old gothic Victorian manor that had been built on it in the early 1900s. And while he himself came to appreciate the house for it’s beauty and isolation from what neighbors there were, what he truly came to appreciate on the acreage of the land was the fact that out of the two acres that they owned, almost the entirety of a single acre was nothing but Woodland. Trees as far as the eye could see with the path that some unknown Soul had carved out long ago to walk through and enjoy. Kedron was also fully aware that while the land belonged to him and his wife, they were not alone in who enjoyed that nature walk and the trees that surrounded it.

Few, if any, adults trespassed openly on their land, but children were of a different sort of creature. They did not have the same restraint that their parents did when it came to exploration. Kedron was fully aware of children who walked through the woods as was Rinoa. The only difference was, Rinoa did not seem to mind. And knowing the affection that his wife held towards children given that she herself could not be a mother, Kedron, despite his personal annoyance, always looked the other way. When children could sneak away from the watchful eyes of their elders and venture onto the Williams’ land, they did so with great amusement. Some even played “how far,”[/color] a game where one or the other would dare a friend to get as close to the Williams’ house before they would inevitably turn tail and run back the way they had come.

Kedron and Rinoa had also found many an evidence of a child’s good time while on their land. Toys left from a day’s play before the dusk had summoned them home, the toy forgotten in haste. The most amusing evidence was the remnants of what appeared to have been a child’s ‘tea party’ set up in a small clearing; a small, plastic table with even smaller plastic chairs, each one but two filled by a stuffed animal of one sort or another. Much to his amusement, Kedron watched as Rinoa collected those plush animals in case the children came looking for them, and to prevent the typical Massachusetts weather from ruining them.

But the toys remained in the care of the Williams, seemingly forgotten or abandoned. After all, what children would brave knocking on the door of the manor, let alone be allowed to?

And it was here, within these trees and along this path, that Kedron and Rinoa walked arm-in-arm, saying nothing between them. They were there simply to enjoy the nature that they had surrounded themselves with. They took walks such as this quite often, but this was the time of year that they appreciated it the most. After all, this was part of their traditional Samhain nature walk. A time of reflection, to gaze upon and appreciate the colors, aromas, and sounds of the season.

The leaves had just started to turn in color and fall to the ground. The rustling of them beneath the Williams’ feet, the chirping of the birds, the wind blowing through the branches that stretched perhaps sixty to seventy feet above their heads. And already, the sun slowly begun its descent into the horizon, leaving the interior of these woods blanketed in shadow.

Rinoa turned her head and gazed upon her husband who appeared troubled, the circles beneath his eyes deeper and darker than before.

Rinoa Williams: “You’re distracted.”

Kedron briefly took his eyes down from the shadows overhead where he had thought he saw the reflections against the eyes of an owl, to gaze briefly and longingly at the woman by his side.

Kedron Williams: “With you? Always.”

Rinoa smiled and turned her head aside as they continued their trek, though their steps slowed considerably.

Rinoa Williams: “Flattering as always, although not entirely truthful I would guess.”

And these words finally brought their footfalls to a brief halt, and he turned to face the love of his very long life.

Kedron Williams: “Meaning…?”

Rinoa Williams: “Meaning, my dearest, that you are still having those dreams. Those nightmares.”

Kedron turned away and started to walk once again, and not once did Rinoa’s hand leave the bend of his elbow. It was a matter of both comfort and security -- for them both.

Kedron Williams: “Of course I am. I’ve been having them for weeks … months. Over a year, actually. Ever since…”

Rinoa Williams: “Ever since you had your soul returned.”

Her only answer for several painful moments was a simple nod, barely enough movement to be detected were it not for her superb eye.

Kedron Williams: “Yes. I hadn’t dreamt in an eternity until then. Once I opened myself up to that annoying habit again, I opened myself up to ‘other things.’ Memories I had long left buried. Long hoped forgotten. Now, they simply torment me. And the closer we get to Samhain, the stronger the torment.”

He sighed in resignation.

Kedron Williams: “Lately, they’ve even found their way into my waking dreams.”

Rinoa Williams: “Much as it might pain you to hear this, I dare say that Benjamin was right. You’re experiencing the pangs of remorse. Perhaps for the first time since…”

Kedron Williams: “Since I first gave up that important piece of myself for power that I never needed. A foolish, stupid act. A betrayal against those I loved…”

He stopped again. Rinoa turned and his face was downcast, his handsome features hidden in the shadows that surrounded them.

Kedron Williams: “... And those that loved me.”

Rinoa simply watched, and she waited. But he said nothing more. He simply begun to walk again, and she dutifully followed him step for step.

Rinoa Williams: “It’s the one story that you never told me.”

He shook his head.

Kedron Williams: “I … can’t. I already told you…”

Rinoa Williams: “For fear of losing me. Yes, I know.”

This time it was she who stopped, and her arm on his directed him to turn around and face her. The fingertips of her free hand lifted his chin so that she might gaze into those warm eyes that had melted her heart only a handful of years ago. Some thought of his gaze of cold … cruel. To her, it was the exact opposite. She finally smiled and shook her head.

Rinoa Williams: “Do you have so little faith in me?”

Rinoa Williams: “In you? Never. In me…? Eternally.”

She took his hands into her own and shook them for emphasis.

Rinoa Williams: “Then look around you. Look where we stand.”

For the first time, perhaps he did so. They were in the clearing where they had found that child’s tea party set up, only now there was no plastic table nor plastic chairs. There was only the Samhain altar that she had taken painstaking methods to construct for him, without his knowledge. A marble slab laid horizontally above the ground, supported by four logs, each two feet in height and smoothed over. On the surface, there were a variety of things to honor not only Samhain and the coming harvest, but those that they had left behind.

A skull rested in the very center with a single candle at its crown. Graveyard dirt. Small pumpkins, uncarved. Squash. A cornucopia filled with nuts and berries, apples and a variety of fruits. A loaf of dark bread. Dried leaves colored by the season were spread about the surface, and one single goblet filled with mulled wine.

Kedron looked at this set up, just like the altar at their house where the two celebrated together each year. Only that altar was set up for two. This one, just for one. Rinoa started to speak, drawing his eyes to her.

Rinoa Williams: “One day you will confide to me this one secret that you’ve kept, this ‘evil’ that you committed. And I will love you no less. But for now, you will not be able to confide in me entirely, until you have eased the burden on yourself. I told you this already. You must forgive yourself. And to do that …”

She placed her hand on his cheek.

Rinoa Williams: “You must commune with the ones you wronged.”

That being said, she leaned up on the tips of her toes to gift him with a light kiss on the cheek, before she turned and resumed her trek, leaving her husband on his own. He watched after her, watched her leave. He then simply turned and looked back at the altar.

And wondered.

To be continued…

Kedron Williams: “Well, well! If it was closer to Yule, I would hazard a guess that old Kris Kringle had something to do with this ‘gift’ that I’ve been handed this week. But let’s be perfectly honest here; he hasn’t visited my house in a very long time. So what, then, have I done to deserve such a present? Could it be because I’ve been a ‘good boy’ as of late?”

Briefly, Kedron paused his dialogue and broke out into an almost gleeful smile, a raspy chuckle escaping from deep inside of him. He shook his head and waved an idle hand..

Kedron Williams: “Sorry, that was just for me. I think it has more to do with the simple fact that I was given a direct task, regaining the Roulette Championship from O’Malley, and I succeeded. I did not win this belt for the second time by some stroke of luck or chance, just as I did not when I became champion for the first time. Odd claim indeed considering both ‘luck’ as well as ‘chance’ are the very cornerstones of the Roulette division. The hallmark of a division where one never knows quite what to expect. Still, to make an otherwise painfully long story short, I became a two-time champion by defeating the then-champion inside of the ring.”

“And, if this match is not a gift or a reward, perhaps a means to apologize? After all, my wife and I were fully prepared to be booked and perhaps even hyped to a greater degree for their ‘Halloween’ show, and what did we get? Nothing. No match. No booking. Not even an interview segment. One would think a program like that was fit for a couple such as us, but no. We were left off -- completely. And yet, this week, here we are. And I dare say that this little ‘gift’ almost makes up for overlooking us. What is this gift, you ask?”[/color]

Kedron looked into the cast iron cauldron on his altar and dropped in what turned out to be an 8x10 glossy of one Austin James Mercer.

Kedron Williams: “Now please, don’t misunderstand my words, Austin. My thinking of you as a reward or gift is unlike how someone like say -- that Carter lad -- would think of you. I am speaking purely of competition. I’ve done a great many things over the past three hundred plus years, but that?”

Kedron scrunched up his facial features and shook his head.

Kedron Williams: “Never high on my list of priorities in ‘things to try.’ Allow me to explain; You see, for the longest of time, I have been saddled with opposition such as the likes of Jake Raab and Stephen Callaway. One man who is no longer here, and one I personally think has little need to be. Sub-par. Men who are thought of as midcard -- if they were or are lucky. For lack of a better term, ‘jobbers.’ But not you…”

Kedron wagged a forefinger in denial.

Kedron Williams: O'Malley had a fire inside of him, the likes of which reminded me of myself  in my own younger days. Self righteous. A fighter. And if I may; confidence to the point of arrogance. But not since the days of my personal vendetta against Benjamin Jordan have I been involved in an encounter against someone as respected and appreciated as Austin James Mercer. While Austin may not have this so-called coveted distinction of a grand slam champion billing as a handful of others do, what he lacks in numbers oh, he makes up for in excellence.”

“This is the very same man who ended the near year-long undefeated streak of Fenris, pinning him when no other man had been able. This was also the match where Boston finally Rose to prominence where he deserved, and claimed the World Heavyweight Championship. A championship that he held for 5 months and a day, an impressive string of Victories considering the level of competition that he had constantly been saddled against to defend the title. And even after he lost that championship, he lost none of the respect that he had earned. He continued to fight and to win and held his head up high even in defeat. And when the hierarchy of Sin City Wrestling chose to resurrect the dormant Internet Championship, it was indeed Austin James Mercer who walked away from that match with another piece of gold added to his young Legacy.”[/color]

“One wondered what might become of him when he suffered his second championship loss to Senor Vinnie, back to back years, at the very same vent. Almost as if it were pre-ordained. And perhaps it was. Perhaps it was to open himself up to something better, something bigger. Austin did not wallow in self pity like certain others were oft to do. He did not ‘take time off’ for his physical and mental well being, only to rise up somewhere else with lesser competition so he could remain…”[/color]

Kedron scoffed.

Kedron Williams: “... Relevant. No, he took a step back. He got his affairs in order, and he set his path to the top once again. Soon, Austin … soon you will once again challenge for the top championship that you held proudly and continued its storied legacy. But that is still to come. You have something else before you, someone else.”

He tapped a forefinger to his chest and nodded with a smirk.

Kedron Williams: “While I still think of this as a reward for me, I wonder what it is to you. I wonder why this match was so important for the higher ups in SCW to book. Were they thinking to better prepare you for a fight against Jack Washington, because that is what you will find yourself saddled with when you step inside of the ring with me.”

He shook his head.

Kedron Williams: “It matters not to me that you have me at such a considerable disadvantage in both size and in-ring experience. Seven inches. Almost one hundred pounds. I have fought trials with insurmountable odds in the past, and here I stand to this day; proud. Unyielding. And while I have not sought to set foot inside of the ring week in and week out as you have, I have spent my time in the ring against some of the very best. Ben Jordan. Jake Raab. I have won some. I have lost some. I have never once backed down. And where you stand, Austin? Where our little athletic encounter comes into being?”

The cauldron suddenly ignites in flames, and the print begins to scorch, and to burn. Kedron closed his eyes in seeming bliss as he ran his fingers across the dancing flames.

Kedron Williams: “I am no man’s ‘stepping stone.”
[/font]
>

I believe Satan to exist for two reasons:

1- The Bible says so.
2- I've done business with Him.