Author Topic: Life's a beach.... Well, a sandbox.  (Read 582 times)

Offline Ben Jordan

• View Profile
Life's a beach.... Well, a sandbox.
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:45:37 AM »
The world we now live in has changed everything, hasn't it? I just heard from back home that further restrictions are hitting my lovely London, lots of quarantine and hospitality about to suffer a blow that will end more businesses, but I've always had an optimistic attitude. I wasn't always the rich guy, I know what it's like to struggle. I don't blow my own trumpet that often, but I feel a little more gratitude towards a lot more things these day, such as the fact I'm employed in something that has helped open doors that woulda been shut in the face of most people, give me the chance to live in a world I never thought possible while I was slinging pints as a teen. This new world we live in has made me ok with the fact that I did enough leading to this point I could lock the doors and never leave the house.

I was adapting to the new way of life with ease, roll with the punches, what will be, will be as me dear old Nan reminds me every time we talk. I know people struggle, and believe me, the struggle is real for a lot of people, my wife being one of those people.

She's got a bit of gypsy in her, likes to move around, see the world, be in exotic places, but me? They were just some things I enjoyed as a getaway, sometimes, travelling is a bit much but I do it for the smile on her face. COVID 19 had stopped that and it got to her, so I had a plan. If you can't be where you want to be, bring it to where you are.

I was hoping it would make a difference to not only her, but to me too. I was sick of a lot of things going on away from the deadly virus trying to get us all.

Frankly, I was tired of Evie's whole "retirement" pony that she hadn't stopped going on about for a while, someone needed a kick in the jacksy, i.e the missus, or someone needed to get away for a bit on their own, i.e me. Of course, kicking her in the jacksy coulda resulted in me getting kicked to the curb for a while, but I was tired of it.

It all came to a head on Wednesday....

Wednesday 14th October 2020.

I sat in front of a computer screen, chatting to a reporter via Zoom, an app that the pandemic had thrust a new light on - Ah man, I miss the days of MSN messenger with video calls - but it was the only way we could continue to do what we do and what we're supposed to do and get rumps in seats, especially now that we were back in front of a small crowd again. We know that money is tight with some people now, we know that the smart people don't wanna leave their houses anymore, we knew we still had to get our faces out there.

"So Ben." The young reporter for an online wrestling site said as we came to the end of our half an hour talking. "High Stakes X is coming up, the biggest show in SCW history so some people are saying, do you see yourself on that card?"

I took a second to just smile at the young man, it's not very often these Internet reporters get the chance to actually speak to a wrestler, a lot of stuff they pick up from other online sources.

"I would hope so." I said with a firm nod as I caught Evie out of the corner of my eye, just watching. "It's a huge show everyone wants to be a part of, and will do what they can to steal a spot on the card. This is one of those shows where people don't really care about taking spots from others, they just wanna be a part of it. I'm not one of those people, if I'm wrestling, lovely, if I'm not, I'll be there anyway doing something. It's the biggest show of our year, so I'll be there one way or the other?"

"Hall of fame?" His questioning tone asked, sneaking in a backhanded question.

"For me?" I said with a tone of surprise. "Not likely mate. I think I'm a little bit off from there at the moment. Need to do a little more before I can be considered for something like that. I'm happy plodding along for a bit."

I felt the need to end things there. I had other plans for the day, I was expecting something to show up in a little while, and needed to get some things ready.

"Anyway mate, cheers for the chat." I said with a quick nod. "Hope you got what you needed from that."

The young reporter nodded, a warn smile on his face as he looked down the camera at me.

"I did." He confirmed. "Thank you for your time."

I tilt my head with a nod as I hit the off button on the camera and lean back in my chair, shutting the laptop lid down and breathing deep.

"I'm really glad I don't have to do that anymore." Evie said as she walked towards me.

"Do what?" I questioned with lowered eyebrows.

"Interviews." She said. "What with being retired."

I think at that time right there, I watched the straw be placed on the camel and I listened to his back crack. It was the straw that broke the camels back for me right there as I gritted my teeth. I'd say here for weeks listening to the retirement jibes, I saw it on social media but not once did she sit down and talk to me about it. Hearing about retirement on social media had pushed me but I never fell off that cliff. She has mentioned it every chance she's got, but she has not sat down and spoke to me about it. I'd had enough.

"For the love of God Eves, would you pack that crap in?" I said as I felt my heart race.

I looked at her, and saw that initial half a step back, a touch of surprise on her face. My breathing felt slower and heavier.

"I'm sick to death of it." I said firmly as I stood up and turned to walk away.

"Sick to death of what?" She snapped back, shaking off the initial shock.

I stopped in my tracks, knowing if I turned around, I was gonna make her listen, there would be no turning back. I couldn't stop myself, so I turned.

"I'm sick of this retirement rubbish!" I said with a raised tone. "You're not bloody retired! You're sitting there messing around on social media claiming that you are. You're just as bad as Griffin Hawkins sitting there all day long tweeting for the attention."

Her mouth fell open, but I felt I had to continue, even though you might as well have given me a shovel because I was digging here.

"You know, I woulda took that bollocks a lot more seriously if you would have even spoken to me about it first, but no." I said with a hard stare. "Lose a match and run to social media, a not so cryptic tweet about retirement. It's beyond bloody stupid! Do you know how much of a plonker that makes you look? The big scary Evie Jordan, who people look at and fear crying about retiring after losing a title."

"You considered retirement after you lost." was all she could reply with.

"No, I considered easing off after I lost to Griffin, but did I though? No, I went and had a bloody battle with O'Malley." I reminded her. "I went on social media to congratulate Griffin. I spoke to you about my future first and foremost, I didn't instantly run to Twitter to announce something I hadn't even spoke to my wife about."

I think she was shocked at my outburst but I'd put up with this for too long. The last year, it had been a not so plain sailing time for us, but it didn't help with the I don't wanna do Blast From The Past, oh I've won, I don't really want that title, oh, I won that title, oh, I lost it, retirement it is. I had to drill the point home.

"I could have walked away." I told her. "I never because the instant a champion loses and retires, or walks away, it takes a huge leak on their legacy. It shows that it was all about the belt. You know the amount of respect I and everyone else lost for Griffin Hawkins when he walked away, just to be in like one hundred different companies where they give him whatever he wants? He ruined his SCW legacy right there."

"I'm not him!" She snapped back at me as she tried to process all I was saying.

"Only difference is you won't show up elsewhere." I told her. "But teasing this retirement crap is running thin with me, because you haven't sat down and taken it seriously or spoke to me about it. Just social media crap and segments. I don't wanna be sitting here moaning about this, but I'm sick to me eyeballs of it. You wanna retire, sit there and talk to me about it and do it. Stop the hinting, because I'm tired of it. I'm ya biggest fan, but I can't deal with you mentioning this crap everywhere anymore."

I felt bad but she needed to see she was feared and now ruining herself with these things. People will pick up on it, they will tell her about this and use it against her. I knew that would bring on a whole new set of problems, it needed to be stopped now.

"Make up your bloody mind love." I said with a step closer, taking the chance to put my hand on her shoulder. "Either knock wrestling on the head, or knock the retirement talk on the head. I'll support you either way, but it's driving me around the bend."

I really didn't know what the reaction was gonna be, but I knew I was growing tired of this, of a lot of things over the last year. I guess I'm tired of seeing Evie not being the old Evie, the bad butt Evie. I'd never seen her doubt herself so much in the last year and it frustrated the hell out of me. This wasn't the woman I married, the woman I married picked a path and went for it.

"I need to think." was all she said as she walked past me.

It coulda been worse but I think what I said might have worked. I didn't want to force her in to a choice, but she wasn't taking her own career seriously at this point. I didn't want her to damage her career by having one foot in and one foot out, flip flopping about. Christina Rose gets the hell ripped out of her by flip flopping all the time, I didn't want Evie to suffer the same.

I knew what she'd do. She'd go get in the car, drive to the main street, spend money on a few things, avoid coming home for a few hours, maybe park up in a bar for a drink, maybe some lunch. It didn't take long before I heard that car engine rev up and the gravel beneath the tires as she left. I knew I had a few hours so I had to work fast.

Erm... Half an hour after the first scene.

Evie and the beach, she loved the beach but travel restrictions basically meant work and home. It sure does limit what you can do in these promos, eh? I knew we couldn't just jet off anywhere like we used to, it would mean a lot of quarantine. I can't even go home to be honest and God knows, I wouldn't mind going and being around my family.

I had to bring the beach here. It's not something I've taken lightly, as I mentioned, Evie is a bit of a gypsy, she likes to travel, I guess I do too. I mean I've lived in London a lot of my life, just outside London in a house underground, via a stop in Canada. Then I went to Cuba, then New York, before living here in Maine. I kinda like this place so thought it might be worth it and bring the beach to us.

In the last half hour, I'd done nothing but drag carts of sandbags towards the edge of the lake, but what I was waiting for had just arrived. I could see the delivery truck, a big delivery truck backing it's way towards me before stopping and three men stepping out the cab of the big vehicle.

"Mr Jordan." A man in his forties said. "I have your delivery."

"Brilliant." I said with a smile as the others opened up the back of the truck and a forth man stepped out.

"Your kids are gonna love this sandpit." The man said.

I couldn't help but smile.

"I don't have kids, it's for the missus." I said with a slight smile.

I saw the look on the four faces turn to confused as the cast side looks towards each other.

Yes people, I had bought a ten foot by ten foot, two foot deep sandpit to put by the lake. Not conventional, but filled with sand, a couple of sun loungers and one of those massive umbrella's and we're sorted, it's beach like and Evie can feel the sand between her toes whenever she wanted.

I watched two of the men roll it on to an automatic tailgate and lower it slightly, before each man took a side and lifted it towards where I pointed and placed it down in front of me. I reached in to my pocket and pulled out four notes and handed it to the nearest man at a distance.

"Split that between yourselves fellas." I told them.

"That's more than generous." The man in his forties said. "Are you sure? This is a lot of money."

"It's a tough time." I said honestly. "I hope this helps you guys out."

I had money, if I could help others out, of course I would. This is why I've given away more than generous tips no matter where we've gone.

"It's appreciated." The man said as he nods to the other men. "I hope your wife enjoys her new present."

I nodded back as they went to return to the truck before slowly moving across the ground. I turned to look at the sandbags next to me and got to work.

I don't know if you've ever done this kinda thing but it's hard work. I cut open back after bag, pouring beach quality sand in to the pit. After five bags, I could feel myself tiring. Those bags were not exactly light. It felt like forever till that pit was full, in realistic terms, probably about an hour and half but I was knackered and no need to go for a jog at all. I just made the next best thing I could to a beach without digging a hole next to the lake. I did what I felt I earned.

I laid right on down and fell asleep on the sand. I don't know how long I was out for, but I was woken up by Evie's voice.

"Ben?" She questioned. "What is this?"

I opened my eyes and looked up at Evie.

"Well, you couldn't get to the beach so I brought it here." I said with a yawn. "Once you stick some sun loungers on here, one of those big umbrellas, you got your own little beach."

I watched Evie sit down next to me and look towards me.

"You did this for me?" She said softly.

"I did, and now I'm knackered." I replied.

I closed my eyes but felt her hand gently touch my shoulder.

"Thank you." She said quietly. "Now let's talk about that retirement thing, shall we?"

I gotta leave it here people. I've prattled on longer than I expected if I'm honest. Who knows, this one might be an off camera little chat, it might be one you get to see. Guess you'll have to wait and see.

Thursday 15th October 2020

Everything was sorted nicely from the day before and I sat there on our own private "beach". I mean why not, sit and speak about things to come up on Sunday. So here I am, sitting there in shorts and a bright shirt, of course, the flip flops are on.

"Alright people." I said.

It was my standard start and got attention.

"Back in the ring again and I'll level with ya, it's a bloody interesting match up." I commented. "The Barnharts. Interesting duo, but I'll obviously let Eves talk about Bea, but you Bill, I get to have a little rabbit about you. I gotta admit, people look down on you a fair whack but I ain't like those people to be honest, I'm more of a look at what you've done and take it all at face value and you've pulled off a surprise or two, more than a couple of times you've looked down and out and all of a sudden, a big win out of nowhere and bang, you're back in people's minds. I actually like that Bill and the attitude you throw towards wrestling, a lot could learn from you. Not once have you taken to social media to complain about a match, a ref call, nothing but you can pretty much say everyone else has. I mean hell, some people are up there with their phone in their hand the second they walk through the curtain to complain about something, but you me ol' mucker, different breed, higher class, get how this thing works."

I respected Bill for that, even if some of his promos were a bit kooky.

"So looking at those wins you manage to pull out from nowhere when people have written you off, those are what I'm looking at." I said seriously. "I'll be an utter plum to sit here and think that I couldn't be next."

Never take people lightly, that's where it leaves teeth marks in ya aris.

"I dunno if you watched a lot of what I said when I had that World Championship." I started. "But I said I take every opponent seriously, I take people for what they could do and I pull out all the stops. Yeah, I get I ain't got that big shiny belt anymore, Griffin had a guardian angel on his shoulder that night but I got to the point where I now make plans for those angels too. I now sit there and think even more outside the box. I guess Griffin beating me made me sit there and look even closer at people. I didn't have to do that too much against Travis Nathaniel Andrews, because I knew that man so damn well, but we haven't crossed paths as much as me and Travis did way back when so I have taken the time to look a little closer at you Bill."

Again, never take people lightly.

"There's talent there Bill, and a whole lot of experience." I said appreciatively of the man's talents. "There's a lot about you, but there's a few years under my belt where I've come across people like you and fought through them and you know, I am confident that I can get through facing you. I'm confident that Evie will get a pick me up from this match against you. I know what you can do, proper aware of what you can pull off out of nowhere so I know I'll have to be on my game. Thing is Bill mate, I'm never off my game. Since I lost that World title, I've pushed myself at every chance I got. I didn't have a spar with O'Malley, I went full out, I didn't have to take those risks but as God, and everyone else watching was my witness, I went and bloody did it. Jumped in head first. I then took on Travis with a bit of doubt in my head, but I pushed it through and beat him and Bill, I ain't slowing down now."

I meant every word of that.

"I gotta get myself back to the top at some point and I ain't slowing myself down till I get to that top once again." I said with a firm tone. "It doesn't matter if it's tag matches, multiple people  matches, it's me against the world whenever I step in that ring, that's how it feels and I gotta beat that world, I gotta come out of it with my arm held up."

Can't stop, won't stop is my new wrestling attitude, like it?

"Where we haven't crossed paths too often Bill, I am looking forward to this match." I admit. "I'm up for the challenge of facing new people, up for the challenge to test myself against an experienced wrestling head, but have no fear Bill, more than up for the challenge."

And indeed I was.

"So I'm gonna wrap this one up right here Bill." I said with a quick thumbs up. "But after it's all said and done, I will be celebrating with my missus, but I'll be good mate. I'll happily buy you and your missus a pint after. Till Sunday mate."

I wink down the camera.

"Laters people!"

And with that, next time ya see me, will be Sunday. Stay safe you lovely lot.
>

Cockney King.
SCW World Heavyweight Champion
SCW Internet Champion
SCW Roulette Champion
SCW Tag Team Champion (3x)
SCU Underground champion
ACW's only Triple Crown Champion.
Super J Cup Winner 2013.
Twitter: @CockneyKingBen