Author Topic: SCU review/Feedback for Into The Void IX  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Donna Beauchamp

• View Profile
    • Donna Beauchamp
SCU review/Feedback for Into The Void IX
« on: June 08, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »

SCU Pre-show / SCW Into The Void IX. It does not have to be only SCU matches or just the pre-show. Even though this is an SCU review thread. We were all part of one show last Sunday so feel free to mention anything about the pre-show and super card.

*If you wish to do the review IC then please state on the post that it's IC.*

While this is posted for SCU stars to use as one of the ways to get pushed under the SCU brand. This is also a great time for SCW stars to drop a review if they wish to do so.

Favorite Match:
Why:

Favorite Segment:
Why:

Favorite Surprise(If any):
Why:

Highlight of the Night:
Why:

Favorite Wrestling Spot of the Night:
Why:

Male Face that stood out the most:
Why:

Male Heel that stood out the most:
Why:

Female Face that stood out the most:
Why:

Female Heel that stood out the most:
Why:

Most standout Tag Team/Stable:
Why:

Best Spot in our match?

What spot would you like your wrestler to be doing more of or less of?

Anything you would like to add about the show can be added here.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:15:42 PM by Donna Beauchamp »

Offline Devin Lockyer

• View Profile
    • Stewart mason
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 08:56:37 PM »
 Favorite Match: SCU/Grime Fatal Five way
Why: Five great characters

Favorite Segment: Gianni/Ms. Rocky Mountains
Why:

Favorite Surprise(If any):
Why: N/A

Highlight of the Night:

Favorite Wrestling Spot of the Night:

Male Face that stood out the most:
Why: Helluva Bottom Carter

Male Heel that stood out the most:

Female Face that stood out the most:
Why: Tatsu Ikeda

Female Heel that stood out the most:
Why: Veronica Taylor

Most standout Tag Team/Stable: Team Go
Why:

Best Spot in our match? N/A

What spot would you like your wrestler to be doing more of or less of? N/A

Thought the Stewart/Shooter match was crap.

user posted image

Offline Merlot Ayano

• View Profile
    • Merlot Ayano
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »
 Favorite Match: Fatal 5-Way SCU Underground Championship Match
Why: Truthfully? I enjoyed the chaotic nature of the match. In the midst of all that, the interactions between Alexis and Celeste were good.

Favorite Segment: Alexis Staggs'
Why: I think the segment served many purposes. It hyped the 5-Way Match, it hyped her eventual one-on-one with Celeste, and you got to see some good character development.

Favorite Surprise(If any): Kawaii Dragons winning the Hardcore Tag Team Championships
Why: At least to me, it felt as if Alex Rush and Lucha Party were just starting to come into their own. So it was bit surprising to see the switch here. But respect to the Dragons.

Highlight of the Night: N/A

Favorite Wrestling Spot of the Night: N/A

Male Face that stood out the most: Alex Rush and Lucha Party; Mark Cross
Why: They work well as a fun baby face team you can get behind. Their match here aided in that. As for Mark, despite the outcome, he looked great in defeat.

Male Heel that stood out the most: Shooter Reed & O’Malley
Why: Him kicking the champion down below and then complaining to the ref was classic. O’Malley's reasoning is self explanatory.

Female Face that stood out the most: Alexis
Why: I realize she's normally neutral, but I feel like she played the role of face here. And I believe she look good in doing so.

Female Heel that stood out the most: Sister Esther & Vixen Staggs
Why: The sheer brutality of that match was great. Both characters seemed to try to kill each other.

Most standout Tag Team/Stable: Helluva Bottom Carter and Ariana Angelos
Why: They retained in the pre-show main event.

Best Spot in our match?

I focus less on a particular spot, and hone in on the particular feel of the match. One thing I enjoy about Combat Championship matches is that they actually feel like fights. The writers do an amazing job at that. Halo vs Merlot felt like a slug feast, and I appreciate that.

N/A

Good effort by all.

Offline Kelli

• View Profile
    • Kelli Torres
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »

Favorite Match: Hardcore tag title match
Why: I was not sure who was going to win but I did not expect to see a draw with both teams winning and being crowned champions.

Favorite Segment: Alexis and Tim Staggs
Why: Tim returned after injury to see Alexis win a briefcase then take a few weeks away after an attack, I can not remember if she was injured or just happened to get time off after the attack. But since then, Tim has been booked rarely while his wife Alexis finds herself with a briefcase and in a rival with the current champion Celeste North. She also is dealing with GRIME like the rest of SCU. She has a lot going on.

Favorite Surprise(If any): SCU Championship.
Why: I did not see O’Malley cashing in so soon but he did and now is the champion.

Highlight of the Night: Ben Jordan winning the SCU Underground title
Why: It was the only title vs title match. Ben made history but was cut short by O’Malley. The cheers, the boos, the joy, the anger all in a span of a few minutes. Very interested to see what happens now.

Favorite Wrestling Spot of the Night: Coby Quik for the save.
Why: Andrew Borg is not a good referee and Coby had to step in. I like the story it told. It seems as if the four are in the beginning of a feud. All four are singles wrestlers but have teamed once before so I wonder how this will continue to play out in the weeks to come.

Male Face that stood out the most: SCU Stewart Mason
Why: This has nothing to do with segments as it does with the story. Stewart This man got kicked in the balls, his wife shoved to the floor twice and during the rest of Into The Void we never heard of any fights breaking out between the two. It takes a big man to not lower himself to Shooter’s standards. I can not wait for this payoff.

Male Heel that stood out the most: Shooter Reed
Why: I mean, I think the match he was in was not on the same level as previous matches. I have more details on that down below. The end of the match was worth watching because of how Shooter lost his mind after causing himself to lose the match.

Female Face that stood out the most: This one is a hard one to pick.
Why: Not sure if any really stood out.

Female Heel that stood out the most: Darcy on behalf of O’Malley
Why: Darcy came out to spoil the fun, she allowed Ben to focus on her while O’Malley snuck from behind to attack the new champion. A duo that seized the moment in a big way, from cheers to boos in seconds. I really liked how it played out. Felt like how it would go down if this was something we had been watching instead of reading it.

Most standout Tag Team/Stable: I want to say Team Go but I have to give it to The Wolfslairs.
Why: I am sure I am wrong but I swore they only had to defend the titles vs The Trenton Tigers but Bella Madison and Malachi got to be in the match. I know I missed one SCW show, maybe two during this cycle so it must have been during one of those shows that they got added.

Best Spot in our match?
No match for me this time around.

My matches have always been written very well but… Down below...

Yes, I wanted to speak on the Stewart Mason vs Shooter Reed match. Devin said it was crap but did not explain, I felt the same way so here is my reason why. It felt half fast, it felt as if it was supposed to be longer but for reasons it was not.

It was too balanced only for Shooter to DQ himself out the match. The aftermath of Shooter upset about it was funny and made sense with the gimmick but if it was going to end like that the whole time then Stewart should have got way more offence in.

I did ask about it in private and was told it is leading to a pay off match for Stewart. I am looking forward to it because I feel he is the top guy in SCU, if not the top then top three for sure and how the match went and how he stood down after the match and Gail getting pushed around. This better be one heck of a payoff. It was the only match on the show that felt off. The rest of the SCU and SCW matches I give a A+.

Offline Devin Lockyer

• View Profile
    • Stewart mason
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:37:36 PM »

I'm not a ruffle the feathers type of person, But after reading Kelli's comments about the Shooter/Stewart match I agree with many of her points, Stewart was made to look weak in this match, and yeah he should have gotten in more offense, Shooter dominating the match only to DQ himself really made no sense, so I'm probably sensing another match here at least, and like Kelli stated probably leading to a payoff of some sorts for Stewart. And yeah the match seemed chopped if that makes any sense. so that's my opinion take it for what it is.
user posted image

Offline Underground

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 11:34:34 PM »
 Usually, I would answer in private, but seeing more than one concerned, I will go ahead and make a statement publicly.

The match in question, there was a bit of miscommunication when it came to the writing. While I have written a few Combat Division matches, I generally stray from them due to a bit of a lack of knowledge. I 100% back the division, because you do not see very many MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing/etc matches in wrestling feds, let alone a division dedicated to it. The idea is fresh, and I believe we have had a few join because of it. But with that said, I typically do not write them.The usual ragtag team of myself and Donna, along with a team of very talented and appreciated writers (Halo, theFAME, Mark Ward, Annie) had this show mostly covered before the weekend hit. I had gone on leave the weekend of the show due to personal (good) reasons, and most stuff was squared away until one match came about. I'm sure you can guess which that was.

I am in no way making excuses, because it was a screw up that both myself and Donna take full responsibility for. It was rushed to try to meet the deadline, and with the best of intentions, it missed the mark. Regardless of what happened, the idea was to be that Stewart gets his revenge on Shooter for the events that transpired. That has not changed, and will come to fruition when it is natural to do so. Also, in ways hopefully no one expects.

I love constructive criticism as I find it is the best way to improve SCU/GRIME as a whole, so I appreciate the time Kelli took to explain, because looking back, I understand why Devin feels the match wasn't good. We always try to put out the best possible shows top to bottom, but we are human and make mistakes at times.

-Tad
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:34:50 PM by Underground »