Author Topic: Into The Darkness: Part 1  (Read 436 times)

Offline O Malley

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • O'Malley
Into The Darkness: Part 1
« on: February 28, 2020, 08:39:36 PM »

Two Years Ago…
April 15th, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Blast From The Past Round One

The night was supposed to go better than it had. It was the official return of SCW, and also the start of the Blast From The Past tournament. O’Malley, widower to the late great Hall of Famer Bombshell, Misty, was making his official wrestling debut and he did so in great fashion. He had managed to get teamed with close friend, Roxi Johnson, and the odds of them advancing pretty far in the tournament seemed almost a sure thing.

Almost.

The first round didn’t go in their favor. After being booked against “Shorty” Devin Tyler and Evie Baang, the two were eliminated after a hard fought match. O’Malley was more than disappointed, and the look on his face says it all as he walks backstage, his head looking down to the ground. He’s still catching his breath and as he tries to quietly disappear to the locker rooms, Roxi Johnson rushes up behind him.

Roxi: O’Malley, wait. Where are you going?

Against his better judgement, O’Malley stops. He wants nothing more than to ignore Roxi and keep walking, but he didn’t want to hurt their friendship by doing so. So he turns around to face her, with as convincing a smile as he can muster.

O’Malley: Need to get out of this ring gear, love, and I’d love nothin’ more than to take a shower.

Roxi: I’m...I’m sorry.

O’Malley arches an eyebrow and stares at her, confused.

O’Malley: Fer what?

Roxi takes in a deep breath and lets out a long sigh.

Roxi: For letting you down out there. I’m the one who got pinned. I never thought we’d get eliminated in the first round. I really thought we had a fighting chance.

O’Malley smiles at her, but he shakes his head. He places a hand on her shoulder in a reassuring manner.

O’Malley: It ain’t yer fault, love. Ye might have gotten pinned, but it’s me fault ye did. I had Devin in a good spot to finish him off, and I tagged ye in instead.

Roxi: That...that doesn’t mean anything at all. I should have been able to get the win. Or tag you back in. But I—

O’Malley holds his hand up, stopping Roxi before he can finish that thought. He knows how guilty she feels, but he’s not going to let her take the blame.

O’Malley: Enough of that, love. Yer more experienced than I am. I’ve got a lot to learn. Ye did Misty proud out there. I’m the one who failed her out there. It wasn’t yer fault, ok?

Roxi: O’Malley…

O’Malley: I...I’ve gotta go, love. Thanks fer bein’ a great partner, even if only fer one night. Owen will be wantin’ to see ye soon, so we’ll set something up.

Roxi frowns, clearly still disappointed but she doesn’t put up anymore argument.

Roxi: Oh. Of course. I’d love to see him. You take care, O’Malley.

O’Malley nods and turns and walks away. Roxi watches him disappear down another hallway, still disappointed. She takes in another deep breath before walking in the opposite direction.

Three Days Later…
April 18th, 2018
A Heartbreaking Anniversary..

He’s been dreading this day for weeks. Up until four months ago, this day was a day to look forward to. A day that should have been celebrated. But after Misty died,  it has turned into a heartbreaking reminder of everything O’Malley has lost.

What is today you ask? Today is not only Misty’s birthday, but it also would have been their first wedding anniversary. But instead of celebrating, O’Malley is now grieving the loss of the love of his life, trying to accept the fact that he was made a widower not even a year into their marriage.

He has no match to prepare for or focus on this week. As confident as he was that he and Roxi would advance further in the Blast From The Past tournament, they were shockingly eliminated in the first round. In O’Malley’s debut match. Against a midget and a vile excuse for a woman. Both of whom completely trashed Misty’s memory and legacy.

This was all more than enough excuse to check out from reality for a few days at least. Anything longer than that and he knew Gabriel, among others, would probably send out a search party for him. Not that he cared. He didn’t quite care about much at the moment.

Except Owen, of course. He would always care about his son, but he knew Owen would be better off being looked after by someone other than him for the next couple of days. He’s tried to be strong for Owen the last four months, but he knew that wasn’t going to be possible right now. So he left Owen in the care of Misty’s parents. And they didn’t put up any argument, thankfully.

He doesn’t really know how long it’s been since he left Owen with his in-laws. He’s lost all track of time, honestly, but the only thing he is aware of at the moment is that he’s in the back seat of a taxi, and he’s given the driver strict orders to head to Palm Eastern cemetery.

The sun is just beginning to set as the taxi drives through the front gate of the cemetery, and O’Malley tells him the direction to go. The driver reluctantly follows the directions he’s being given before he comes to a stop at the section where Misty is buried. O’Malley reaches into his pocket and pulls out a few bills, handing them to the driver.

O’Malley: Thanks, lad. Ye don’t need to wait fer me.

The driver turns around and stares at O’Malley, confused and a little skeptic.

Driver: Uhhh...you’re kidding, right? It’s going to be dark soon and you’re in a cemetery. I have no problem wai—

O’Malley: I’ll be fine. Just take the damn money and get outta here!

O’Malley shoves his door open and steps out of the car. He slams the door closed and a few seconds later the driver does as he’s told and speeds off and out of the cemetery. Once he’s gone, O’Malley reaches into the inside pocket of his leather jacket and pulls out a pint sized bottle of his favorite Irish Whiskey. He untwists the cap, brings the bottle to his lips and takes several gulps. He doesn’t bother to put the cap back on as he plans to finish the bottle.

He stumbles through the grass and towards Misty’s grave, several feet in front of him. Judging by his current state, he’s been drinking for several hours and is already well past the point of being drunk and is, for lack of a better phrase, fucked up. Just as he approaches Misty’s grave, he trips over his own feet and falls to his knees, just narrowly avoiding cracking his head on her headstone. This doesn’t seem to phase him, though, as he takes another swig on his whiskey and stares at Misty’s headstone.

O’Malley: Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary, love. Ye dint tink I’d skip out on visitin’ ye today of all days, did ye?

He places his right hand on her headstone, running it along her name, while still clutching the bottle of whiskey in his left hand. He’s unable to keep himself together and soon begins to sob as he takes another drink and leans forward.

O’Malley: I...I...I miss ye so damn much, Misty. This isn’t how it’s supposed to be. We should be celebratin’ today. I...I wasn’t supposed to lose ye this soon. We shoulda grew old together, dammit!

He spins around and plops down on his butt, leaning back against the headstone. He takes another swig of whiskey and closes his eyes, leaning his head back.

O’Malley: I failed ye, love. I failed ye so much, and yet yer the one in the ground an’ not me! I couldn’t be there protect ye or save ye when ye needed me. I couldn’t even help Roxi out when she needed me in our match on Sunday and look what happened? We lost! We lost to a feckin’ midget and that bitch, Evie! Because o’ me! It’s all me fault!

He starts to hyperventilate as he thinks about everything he’s lost, but he tries. He tries to catch his breath. It takes him a while, but he eventually does and he finishes off the bottle of whiskey, dropping the bottle on the ground next to him. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out another bottle a few moments later, immediately going to work on that one, as he sinks down lower to the ground.

O’Malley: I ain’t leavin’ ye, love. Not...not tonight. But don’t worry ‘bout Owen. He’s in great hands. Better than bein’ looked after by me, actually. Who am I kiddin’, love? I’m gonna fail him eventually just like I failed ye. Maybe...maybe I should…

He takes another gulp of whiskey and then takes in a deep breath.

O’Malley: Maybe I should...Maybe...just go back...to Ireland…

He continues to talk out loud but his sentences and words begin to make less and less sense. And despite that, he continues drinking until he finishes off the second bottle of whiskey. By that time, he’s laying completely on ground with his head against the base of the headstone. He passes out just as the cemetery is left in complete darkness, and the only company O’Malley has are the thousands of graves surrounding him…

Sometime the next day, when O’Malley finally begins to open his eyes, he becomes aware of his surroundings. But he’s not in the cemetery anymore. And he feels like garbage. Complete and utter garbage as he looks around at the white walls, his vision a little blurry. And that beeping noise. Oh how annoying that is.

O’Malley: Uuuuugggghhh...stop...the feckin’...beepin’.

His voice is slightly hoarse and he feels like he’s been hit by a truck...again. As his eyes come into focus he looks up, blinks and sees none other than his trainer, Gabriel, looking down at him, unamused but relieved.

Gabriel: Welcome back, Mick.

O’Malley looks around, only seeing the ceiling and the white walls. He brings his hand up to his head.

O’Malley: Gabriel? Bloody hell, did I take a nasty kick to the noggin’ or somethin’? I don’t remember—

Gabriel chuckles a bit but shakes his head.

Gabriel: No, but I’d rather ya did instead of what really happened to ya. Figured you wouldn’t remember, though.

O’Malley: Huh?

O’Malley then looks around the room again, getting a better idea of where he is. He’s not in Gabriel’s training facility like he thought. No, he’s actually in the hospital with an IV sticking out of his arm and wires hooked up to his chest.

O’Malley: What the feck?! Why...why am I in the bloody hospital?!

He tries to sit up too quickly and just sinks back down in the bed, holding his head. Gabriel stares at him with his arms folded across his chest.

Gabriel: Think about it for a second. What’s the last thing you remember?

O’Malley closes his eyes, trying to remember what he could have done that landed him in the hospital. He shakes his head as gently as he could to avoid his headache worsening and when he opens his eyes, he looks at Gabriel.

O’Malley: Who found me?

Gabriel: Does it really matter? You got plastered and passed out in a damn cemetery! What the hell were you thinking?!

O’Malley: I was fine. I am fine. I’ve been in worse condition than that an’ I don’t need to be here.

Gabriel shakes his head.

Gabriel: That’s a load of bollocks and you know it. You’re lucky that taxi driver called and had someone come check on you, because had you stayed there like that all night? Well, who knows.

O’Malley: The taxi driver? What a piece o’ shite!

Gabriel: He probably saved your life, you know. I get this has been a rough week for you, but—

O’Malley: No! No ye don’t know, Gabriel! So don’t stand there an’ act like ye do.

O’Malley slowly sits up in the bed, closing his eyes. He takes in a deep breath, trying to think about anything but the pounding headache and the events of the last few days. Gabriel pulls a chair closer to the hospital bed and takes in a deep breath, trying to find the right words to say to his student.

Gabriel: Okay, maybe I don’t completely understand what you’re going through but hear me out, alright? I know you’re still grieving. I’m not about to sit here and tell ya to just get over it because if I were in your shoes? If I had lost Odette? I can’t even think about that…

O’Malley just moves his eyes to look at Gabriel. He doesn’t speak a word and let’s Gabriel continue.

Gabriel: But what you did yesterday and last night? Drinking as much as you did and passing out on Misty’s grave? Do you think Misty would want that? And what about your boy? What about Owen?

O’Malley: Owen was perfectly safe. He’s with Misty’s parents.

Gabriel: Yeah, I know that. But what if that alcohol poisoning had left you worse off than you are? Or if they hadn’t found you when they did? Do you really think leaving Owen a complete orphan is good for him?

O’Malley shakes his head. He closes his eyes and fights back more tears.

O’Malley: I’m gunna fail him somehow, Gabriel. Just like I failed Misty. Just like I failed Roxi on Sunday. Like I failed ye as me teacher.

Gabriel shakes his head again.

Gabriel: Ya haven’t failed anyone, O’Malley, so don’t go talking that crap. What happened to Misty was a terrible accident. You didn’t fail her at all. And so you and Roxi didn’t advance? You both did great in that match, and you didn’t fail anyone. What you did do, though, is underestimate Shorty like I told ya not to, but use it as a learning experience.

O’Malley: I...I don’t think I can. I can’t ruin Misty’s legacy, Gabriel. I..I can’t take the jokes and the trash talkin’ her good name..

Gabriel: Look, I know you’re doing all of this for her right now, and I don’t blame ya. But sooner or later? You need to start doing this for yourself. Misty’s name is forever etched in SCW’s history. There isn’t a damn thing you or anyone else can say or do that will change that.

O’Malley thinks for a moment, but he can’t find the words. He just looks down and away from Gabriel, now disappointed in himself.

Gabriel: Think about it, bud. You’ve got what it takes. I’ve seen it. You might never have seen yourself as a wrestler, ever, but you’ve got that fight in you.

O’Malley: I’m nothin’ without her, Gabriel. I thought about goin’ back to Ireland after she died, but I couldn’t take Owen away from her family like that. But...But maybe I should just go back home by meself.

Gabriel: Like hell you are. You’re not honestly talking about leaving your son like that, are you?

O’Malley lowers his head again, filled with nothing but absolute shame. Gabriel wouldn’t understand. No one would. But the more he thought about it, the more he knew it had to happen.

O’Malley: He’s better off without me right now anyway. Ye said it yerself, Gabriel. I got plastered in a damn cemetery with no regard for me son at all. I...I think I need to go back to Ireland for a while and straighten meself out.

O’Malley looked up at Gabriel with eyes filled with sad eyes. Gabriel, however, is more than disappointed as he stands up from his chair.

Gabriel: I think that would be a huge mistake but I’m pretty sure you’ve already made up your mind anyway. You’ve got great potential in the ring, O’Malley. And I think Misty would be pretty damn disappointed right now. I know I am.

O’Malley: I won’t be gone forever, mate. I just…I’ve gotta find a way to grieve away from everything that reminds me of her.

Gabriel stands there for a moment, but he can’t find the words. He just nods slowly before turning and walking out of the room without another word. O’Malley leans his head back on the pillow when a nurse walks in to check on him.

Nurse: Well look who is awake. Quite a night you had, huh?

O’Malley chuckles and shakes his head as the nurse checks his bag of fluids hanging from the IV pole.

O’Malley: I’m a right feckin’ eejit. But I ain’t feelin’ too bad now. When can I get the hell outta here?

Nurse: It could be a while, I think. The doctor wants you kept for observation for a while, and I think a psychologist is also—

O’Malley: A shrink?! Oh, I don’t think so. Ye go and tell that doctor that I’m just fine and I don’t need to speak to a crazy doc. In fact, ye tell him to sign those damn discharge papers, because I need to get out of here.

The nurse looks surprised but one look at O’Malley’s expression and she knows he’s serious. She nods once and after checking everything over, she walks out to go find the doctor.

TBC…

Present Day
A New O’Malley Has Emerged…

It’s no secret that the O’Malley that everyone knew and loved two years ago is vastly different than the version we have witnessed recently since he returned. And he did not return alone. The man who was so in love with Misty and so heartbroken and lost after her death had returned with a new mysterious woman, and all we know about her is her name.

Darcy Donohue.

She’s had him in her clutches. She’s been calling the shots and he’s obeyed every command. But nothing else is known of how they met, or how his personality had changed so drastically. At least not yet. Hopefully answers will come soon, but as for now, Darcy is tasked with preparing her love for the Blast From The Past tournament, where he finds himself teamed with former Bombshell Roulette Champion, Samantha Marlowe.

Climax Control is just two nights away, live from the very venue Darcy and O’Malley are currently standing in. New Douglas Park in Hamilton, Scotland. It’s rather cold at the moment, making one wonder why this place was even chosen for Climax Control. In the center of the field, where the SCW ring will more than likely be set up in just two days, stands Darcy and O’Malley. Darcy is more bundled up than O’Malley, but he doesn’t seem very phased by the temperature.

Darcy: Blast From The Past. The time of year where the superstars and Bombshells of SCW and SCU, toss their name into the hat at a chance to secure a guaranteed World Heavyweight Championship or World Bombshell title opportunity. And the kicker? You have to depend on your partner to make sure it happens. You have to help your partner achieve the same. Quite an interesting concept.

Darcy grins and she turns and looks to O’Malley. He remains expressionless and he turns to look at her as well.

Darcy: And O’Malley has already been through this tournament once before. Two years ago he had, at the time, the pleasure of teaming with his close friend and our now reigning World Bombshell Champion, Roxi Johnson. He was thrilled. He was confident that the two would advance in the tournament, and even more confident in their chances at winning. But what happened?

O’Malley suddenly looks away and down to the ground. His expression never changes, but Darcy places a hand on his cheek before looking back into the camera.

Darcy: Roxi Johnson let him down. She is the one who cost them their first round match, yet O’Malley was quick to take the blame because he was inexperienced. And even days later his mentor and trainer, Gabriel, had said that O’Malley underestimated the little leprechaun of SCW, Devin Tyler. Why should O’Malley have taken the blame when he was not the one to get the pinfall, hmm?

O’Malley lifts his head to look back into the camera. His eyes are slightly narrowed, and a fire burns as you can see the anger building within him.

Darcy: History will not repeat itself this year. Now thankfully he’s not teamed with Roxi Johnson again, but has been teamed with an equally experienced partner, Samantha Marlowe. But O’Malley will not be placing his faith in Ms. Marlowe to get the job done. He has learned from his mistakes, and should she be the one to take the fall and cause an elimination, he will NOT be taking the blame.

She places a hand on his back and the two look at one another lovingly.

Darcy: But we shall worry about that if the time comes, because we do not plan on that being in the first round. Samantha and O’Malley are taking on a team containing two current champions within SCW, and their victory will be that much sweeter because of that. I hope Austin James Mercer is watching this, because I have it on good authority that he’s quite confident that he and Candy will be advancing this week.

Darcy looks into the camera, smiles and lets out a laugh. She shakes her head and looks back to O’Malley. He breathes very slowly as he stares into the camera.

Darcy: Laughable. O’Malley may be a member of SCU, but let's not forget who he was trained by. Let’s not forget that O’Malley was in SCW previously and the reason he is contracted to SCU is beyond Austin’s comprehension. He and his Wolfslair buddies seem to be under the impression that they are better than everyone just because they aren’t employed with SCU. That is the wrong way of thinking and on Sunday O’Malley will show him first hand who the better athlete truly is.

O’Malley stands frozen in place while Darcy slowly walks around him, eyeing him up and down. She grins as she looks at her man and then back into the camera.

Darcy: O’Malley has the drive. He has the determination. And he has the talent and skill needed to advance far into this tournament. Just ask Gabriel Stevens. I know certain others would love more than to claim to be the best athlete trained at the OG Gym, but there’s only one true star to emerge from OG Gym, and you’re looking at him. He may not have any titles under his belt as of yet, but he will get them and he will be the most talked about trainee ever. Perhaps he’ll set his sights on that precious title that Austin James Mercer now holds?

Darcy grins again and O’Malley slowly blinks. She puts her hand on O’Malley’s waist as if placing her hand on a title.

Darcy: Such a shame that the title isn’t being defended in this match. Austin should consider himself lucky, because if it were being defended, we’d have a new champion when it was all said and done. The bosses could have had one hell of a match had they made this a winner take all match. Advancing in the tournament and walking out as new champions. But Austin would claim that O’Malley doesn’t deserve it, right? Because he’s employed by SCU. Need I remind everyone that SCU is a part of SCW.

Darcy runs her hand along O’Malley’s cheek again. He closes his eyes and enjoys the feeling of her caressing his cheek.

Darcy: O’Malley chose to return to SCW through SCU. And while he has plans for SCU, he also has plans for SCW, and it’s all set in motion. The Blast From The Past is just the start. Once he leads his team to victory, he’ll move on to fight for his guaranteed World Heavyweight Championship opportunity. And there’s not a thing that Austin can do to stop it. Unless of course, Samantha Marlowe ruins it for the both of them.

Darcy looks into the camera once more, her eyes narrowing with a warning glare.

Darcy: Samantha Marlowe. SCW’s resident sweetheart. You better hope you don’t do what Roxi Johnson did and screw O’Malley out of this opportunity to get what he should have gotten two years ago. You better not let that annoying little twit, Candy, pin you because you don’t want to find out the consequences should you fail and cost O’Malley everything. O’Malley might not be able to lay a hand on you, but I assure you, I most certainly can.

Darcy closes her eyes and when she does, O’Malley does what she had earlier. He caresses her cheek lovingly and she smiles, feeling his touch.

Darcy: Most of you might not have faith in O’Malley because of two years ago, but you will after Sunday. You’ll all understand just what he’s capable of and just what he will do to get what he wants. I mean, if you don’t believe me, just ask poor Tim Staggs just how dangerous O’Malley is. He’s more ready than he has ever been. He’s more determined than he has ever been, and on Sunday he gets one step closer.

Darcy moves in close to him, looking up into his eyes. She takes his face in her hands and speaks one last time.

Darcy: My life. My love. My champion.

O’Malley then leans down and kisses her deeply. She wraps her hands around his neck as the scene fades to black.
>