Author Topic: los mariachi  (Read 408 times)

Offline SenorVinnie

• View Profile
    • Senor Vinnie
los mariachi
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »
 tiJanuary 1989
Tijuana, Mexico.

We see a young Vinnie sitting in a room, holding a trumpet in his hands as he looks up to his father while listening to him explain of how to play the trumpet.

Father: Now Vinnie, of course a leading Mariachi is either merely a singer or singer while playing guitar. But you have to learn every possible musical instrument as you need to grow into the lifestyle that is Mariachi.

Young Vinnie raises an eyebrow, the thought of lifestyle surprised him. He thought that he was getting one of the many musical lessons from his father, no history lesson.  His father notices the reaction and smiles

Father: Ahh Vinnie, I understand your confusion on what I had mentioned. But Mariachi is not just playing a trumpet or sing about love while playing a guitar and express emotions upon your face. Oh no Vinnie, it’s you becoming part of the song… believing every single word that you sing….. or in your case… every tune that you play.

Vinnie nods his head, he wanted to learn from his father as he looked up to him. His father had toured in every city in Mexico, even for the Mexican community in the United States. For him his father was a Rockstar like the artists that he had seen on television. Yet those artists were not real for some reason. He did enjoy listening to Santana play his guitar and sing with his amazing voice, but not even HE could match his father… or at least, that’s what he believed.

Father: Vinnie???

Vinnie: Huh?? Uhm…., yes???

His father smiles, he knew that Vinnie was a daydreamer. It was a reason why he choose to teach him first prior sending him to take musical lessons from a respected musical teacher. He places his hands on the shoulders of Vinnie before lowering them to his trumpet.

Father: Look Vinnie, this instrument is not just a device that you blow oxygen into to create sound when you push on these valves.

Vinnie: Valves???

His father smiles as he patiently places the fingers of his son on the valves, realizing that the buttons on the trumpet are named valves. He begins to blush of shyness as he felt that he should have known. But his father just smiles while brushing his hair.

Father: Now Vinnie, lets try to see if you can hit a Do on your trumpet.

Vinnie had been wanting to blow his lungs out on the musical instrument the entire time that he was holding it, even though he knew that blowing oxygen into the musical instrument would not be enough. He had to show control, balance as well as being focused upon blowing oxygen while pushing his fingers the right way to create the correct sound.

Vinnie: (whisper) Here goes…

He takes a deep breath, his lips are placed upon the mouth piece. He realizes that his mouth is dry, but tries to ignore the nervousness and blows while pushing on the valve that is closest to him  and a sound emerges.

Trumpet: BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

In his mind Vinnie believed that he had created a masterpiece, something that nobody has ever heard before and never will. He is focused upon his trumpet while blowing more and more oxygen into the music instrument while pushing onto the valves and more sound emerges from the end of the trumpet.

Trumpet: BWaaaaaaaaaaaaaa….. Weeeeeeeeeeee… WOOooooooooooooo …. Awwwwhhhhhh….. BWaaaaaa….thump

Vinnie’s eyes who had closed during his trumpet playing suddenly open up again and is in shock. He realizes that his father had placed his hand on the end of the trumpet as his eyes slowly turns towards his father. Who has a shock look on his face

Vinnie: Father???

There is no response from his father, Vinnie does not know how to take this sudden reaction from his father as well as the surprising look upon his face. But Vinnie’s confidence was racing as he realizes that his father had not yelled at him for being so terrible. So he believes in his own mind that he had shown his father that he is a New Lennon, McCartney, Santana as well   as he has aa  a voice that you could become  hypnotized , voices that have been a huge influence of todays music industry . And yet that never mattered to Vinnie… as to him there was only one that  he cared about.

Father: Err.., uhm Vinnie? I…

Vinnie: Tell me father, how impressed are you with my first attempt to greatness???

His father was struggling, he was contemplating whether he should tell him the truth. Or  the other hand, he can’t get it over his heart to  hurt his feelings.

Vinnie: Father??

His smile is heartbreaking, the happiness from Vinnie is oozing from his face. His father sighs as he figures that a small lie would not hurt him as he slowly starts to clap his hands

Father: I can honestly tell you that I have never heard anything like this Vinie.

His father feels a proud sensation coming over him, he was actually not lying to him. He just  wanted to come across as if this was something very positive when it is clearly the opposite. But that did not matter to him, he saw Vinnie gloat and jump out of his seat and runs around with the trumpet still in his hands.

Vinniie: Wooohooo!!! I have done it!!! I knew that you would recognize this classical song  father!! it’s from your favorite artist!!!

His father smiles while watching his son being so enthusiastic, not realizing when he suddenly stands still in front of him. Having a look on his face as he is awaiting the confirmation from his father.

Father: What ???

Vinnie chuckles

Vinnie: Aww come on father!! What song was I playing?? Only brilliant minds like us would  know!!

The shock comes over his father’s face as he realizes that Vinnie has put him in a predicament, believing that he had known what Vinnie was playing. But deep down inside he had no clue.

Father: Black Magic Woman from Santana??

Vinnie laughs as he shakes his head no while slapping his hand across his knee.

Vinnie: You are so funny!! I was obviously playing  Money For Nothing from the Dire Straits!!!

His father chuckles, relieved that he Vinnie did not know that he wasn’t aware and that he was just  having fun

Father: Yes, that was the one. I always get those confused…

The two share a laugh as the shot fades.

Senor Vinnie can be seen sitting with the trumpet, holding it in his hands while staring at it.

Senor Vinnie: I just happened to find this trumpet after cleaning my  attic and it brought back some great memories. And when you think about memories it makes you think back about how things were, how some people would even suggest that everything was better back then. But  is that always the case???

I know people would suggest that todays technology has surpassed that of the horror that we had to deal with back then. I mean let’s face it, no cell phones. No flat screens, computers were incapable of doing what todays devices are capable off. Better graphics, sounds and at least when you talk about a football….. you are able to see a football soar through the air instead of a simple dot on a black screen. And yet….

He sighs as he stares at the old and clearly broken down trumpet.

Senor Vinnie: Yet, you really have to wonder whether things are truly that much better than what we did or didn’t have. Because time changes and we have to adapt to what is presented to us and no matter whether how hard we try to improve things, we always find a reason to complain now don’t we??because in the minds of the masses, we want to have everything. But he irony is when you get what you want, you just sigh and toss whatever it is that what you wanted aside. As if it was nothing to begin with. And I could know…

His eyes travels down to the trumpet between is hands, smiling for the memories of how much he drove his poor father insane . Even though he would never dare to admit it.

He has a sly grin on his face as he remembers all the times that he drove his father crazy.

Senor Vinnie: Makes you wonder, would present day fathers have enough  patience to deal with their children. In the hope that they would achieve something if they just try long and hard enough?? Because kids these days  just sit on their lazy asses and play with their ipads or game consoles and never come outside.

And to a certain point I was just as spoiled like that, having the world title around my waist for over 100 days…. And I had failed…., even failed of reclaiming the prestige that I once had. And it made me realize….

He looks up from the trumpet and stares into the camera.

Senor Vinnie: It made me realize that I need to have patience, that I need to get back to what has brought me to the dance and made me a success….. And that was to bring me back to the past…. To the love that I believe that I had lost somehow

He places the trumpet to his mouth and blows a small tune through the trumpet, it sounds better than the memory of many years ago even though the trumpet had not been tuned in a long time. At least you could recognize the tune from the classic Dire Straits song until he stops playing and looks down on the trumpet.

Senor Vinnie: You always hammered me to play the best Do before starting to play a tune. A simple tune, or at least that’s what I thought I would master in a mere moment. Oh how was I wrong huh father???

Another smile appears on the face of Vinnie.

Senor Vinnie: But being wrong is often the only tool to be right eventually. Because we all learn from our mistakes now don’t we?? Well, not everyone I know. Alex is still desperate to this very day to make an impact upon this federation by hoping to win that championship belt at last. But who am I to tell him that he will not be able to beat our beloved champion Senor Ben??

Merely a former champion that failed as well to reclaim that honor… an honor that I once felt when I just merely learned to play a simple song on this trumpet. Oh how the joy was etched upon my face for over a week, maybe even longer. I was convinced that I could play Bohemian Rhapsody after learning  Happy Birthday. But that’s how anxiety works isn’t it?? Once you had that first taste of something that you want to  possess, it will be so difficult not to go too far and too fast.

I can tell that the man that I am facing this coming week is someone that is focused upon the job at hand. A man that respects his opposition, yet does not take them lightly. A student of the Game some would say…. Others would scratch behind their heads and ask themselves why he isn’t a world champion already??

And all I have to say to explain it all is that this man has patience, patience that I have not seen since my father’s desperate attempts to teach me to play this wonderful instrument.

Vinnie slowly starts to play a few tunes from the classic Pink Floyds Comfortbly Numb before stopping using the instrument and sighs.

Senor Vinnie: I admire that from you Griffin, besides the fact that you are a vivid music lover, something that have noticed many times before on social media. Gracing ourselves with the respectful words and musical clips from legends that has paved the way for music fans like you and me isn’t it?? It shows that you have class and dedication to those who you admire. And yet, when it comes down to compete inside the six sided ring…. you just slash through the competition like  Kirk Hammett would shred another legendary guitar solo on an even more classic Metallica song.  Showing a side that is so different than your apparent conflicted nature of being such a wonderful amigo…. And yet I admire that from you.

As we all wish to accomplish the same thing that you possess at this very moment, where people are either jealous of your capabilities to maintain a high level unlike the others… or simply just seeking for the right motivation to continue in such a high competitive nature…. And all I am seeing that people are just merely looking for an excuse to believe in something.

And what about me???

He grins

Senor Vinnie: Good question I must admit, am I searching for answers to questions that I have not asked myself?? If that’s the case then why am I searching for an answer when I have not even asked the  question. Questions are nothing more than merely a clueless notion that I just don’t know!!!

But I do know Griffin, I do know the answer to the question that I have et not asked myself…. Because I have been asking this my opponents every single time. What would it take for them to beat me???

Oh yes, I know this must be a revelation to those who are new to mindfucks that is psychology of the brain. What does it take for number one to beat number two??? Is it skill? Is it determination?? Is it luck?? Or merely the fact that at that given moment someone was better than the other? But I am not looking for the question that will be revealed upon Climax Control. I am looking for the confrontation with a champion that I have admired….

Does this mean I want to be in line for your championship???

Is it to me to determine my destiny??? Have I given up the hope of once again combat for my world title???

He grins as he repeaeas the words my world title in a soft whisper

Senor Vinnie: (whisper) My orld title…..

Of course I will not let my fate decided upon some  tarot cards or a crystal bowl . oh no…, I want to fight you mi amigo. I want to fight you and echo a tune inside your mind that you just want to get rid of….

You know what I am talking about don’t you Griffin?? Ever had that moment that you heard someone destroy a classic by making it her own? Like having to endure Lucie Silva’s cover of Nothing Else Matters?? Musically seen many spoke of an inspiring cover, while others would just say that it ruined the original done by Metallica. Causing the debate of originality move between the minds of the many, where it would forget that of the few isn’t it???

Do I need your imput upon the situation Griff?? Do I need to hear your opinion whether you agree that I prefer the original or not?? Oh no, I need to hear the words that you echo into the void every single time that you speak about your opposition and turn up the intensity. Having me hear the words, listen to what you truly are saying between the lines of the battlefield of our conversation that is separated by nothing more than a mere thin tv screen.

Vinnie nods his ist against the camera screen in front of him and grins.

Senor Vinnie: I need to hear between the lines why you feel that you are better than me, that you are confident of beating me inside that six sided ring…. I need to know before I will whistle a tune of legendary proportions that my father would tell me that it was something he had never heard before.

And this time it isn’t because it was dreadful, but merely because I want to let you know that I believe that I can beat you…. Merely have you attempt to read between the lines, in the hopes of have you hear the words of Stairway to Heaven instead of dreading  of listening to a dance version of Total Eclipse of the Heart… Even though I am taking a risk of guessing your taste, even though I realize that there’s nothing wrong to take a risk on something that I already know isn’t it??

Its often the words that bore me, the words that people tell me over and over again that they are merely better. Better because they can fly the sky better than me, or because they have won more world titles across the world than I have fingers. Ironic isn’t it that these people use these statements to talk confidence and believe in themselves so that they would propel them to greater heights??? While I prefer to keep my own two feet down to earth… well that besides a conversation every now and then with a cacti.

But I know I have said enough Griff…., the words need to be spoken in a song and a solo between the two of us… Let us jam, let us groove that it would entertain the world…. And then, lets see who will strike first…..

Adios amigo… adios..