Author Topic: Mistakes  (Read 438 times)

Offline Culture Shock

• View Profile
    • Culture Shock
Mistakes
« on: September 20, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
 Emmie's head was pounding when she woke up. Still in her sequined tank top and shorts from the night before, her gold heels are however at the foot of the other bed in the room. A bed where someone was still sleeping. She sits up and realizes she's in Jack's room. The events of the night before flood back, although very hazy. Had Jack carried her to this bed? Had she...

She puts a hand to her face.

Fuck she says internally. That was definitely a mistake. Now she was sure Jack was thinking she had a thing for him. She didn't... at least not enough to act on it. She admired Jack. She praised his in-ring ability to everyone who asked her why she willingly chose him as a tag partner but never had she thought about wanting to be with him, let alone snog him. But she had. And deep down she thought she liked it.

Pushing that feeling deep down in the pit it had risen from, she swung her legs over the side of the bed. She feels like she's still a little tipsy but her first instinct is to get out of here while Jack is still sleeping, giving her time to prepare for the conversation where she would need to explain her actions. She quickly grabs her shoes and quietly leaves the room. It was a walk of shame but for an entirely different reason. The shame was because she had probably confused the hell out of her best friend and that was not something she wanted to do. There was already one of those conundrums with Bobbie and Artie.

She managed to make it back to her room without seeing anyone she knew. Wouldn't that be something for her opponents to use... not that it mattered, the whole company was full of debauchery and soap opera esque relationships. People fucking someone new every week. Not her though. She'd been surprisingly celebate for the last year. Her focus had been wrestling and being her best.

She opened her mini bar to find a little bottle of vodka and a can of orange soda in the fridge. It would do as a makeshift mimosa she supposed. Just enough to make her functioning.

The stress of everything had gotten to her and she knew she was drinking a lot. Her grandfather had been an alcoholic and it was by a small miracle that her father had an allergy and couldn't drink.

She looks at the drink in her hand. It didn't even taste very good, yet here she was swigging it down just to feel normal. What was normal though? Drinking had never been so important to her before but now, she was finding it harder and harder not to be drinking.

She downs the rest of the glass and makes her way to the bathroom, shedding every piece of clothing as she went. A shower would do her good, then she'd get her ass in the gym and work it all off. She didn't have a problem. She could manage this. She was just young, having fun. That was what she was supposed to do right?

Emmie Promo #5 - Champions

Here we are, Jack and I overcame all the doubt, all the haters and rose to the top. We were able to beat London Underground and be the new mixed tag champions. Just like we promised we would. We have lived and breathed these titles even before we earned them. One week without saying anything and suddenly that makes us un-fit in the eyes of the group whom we beat. The thing is though, it doesn't matter what they say because it won't change what happens. It won't change that we hold these titles and it won't change all those fans minds that supported us, that still cheer for us.

Besides that, words do not win matches, skills do. Saying I wasn't good enough obviously had the opposite effect on me than what they thought it would. It made me work harder to be better. Even if now, they still all have denial that I legitimately beat them. That Jack beat them. I know... how embarrassing to be beat by someone you claim is too new to be a champion. Someone who they claimed only got here based on their last name.

Pretty obvious by the tweets between Mark and I that there is zero nepotism here. I had to try out and be scouted just like everyone else here. So if I was as terrible as they claim, I would not be here and I would not be holding this belt.  Mark has gone out of his way to try and persuade me to go back home. Go to Oxford. Be a doctor. He told me he would only give me a contract if I convinced Jack Asher to be my tag partner. The most annoying man on the roster. He thought it would be a perfect way to dissuade me. But yet, I convinced Jack Asher. I forced him out of bed while he moped about being dumped and I got his ass in the gym. I made him into a suitable partner.

I know he'll hate me saying all this, but he appreciates truth and that is facts galore. My Cousin didn't want me here. Not because he doesn't care about me, but because he DOES care. He cares enough that he wanted me to be better than this life, sometimes though, you can't fight your inner desires.

This match with Jessie and Caleb is just as important as the one in three weeks where we have to defend against multiple teams. Every opponent is important and I owe it not just to my opponents but to myself to be focused on each match as they come up. So this week, my focus is on the amended version of Punk and Metal connection.

It's unfortunate that this team has had to face two loses to its group. First with Senor Vinnie having a world title to defend and secondly with Joshua being injured. That can really hit the group dynamics hard. And the man they get in, is Caleb Storms. Oh dear.

Now, I'm not a member of this team that rolls out insults. I try to find the positive in all things but in all honesty, Caleb feels like a very desperate man. Much like Jessie. In fact it's quite funny actually that these two should end up in a team together when both are notorious for asking for title shots. Maybe it's not been as prominent lately as it has been in the past but both of these guys have been given so many opportunities to be on top yet have not been able to fully secure any of them. I can understand how that would make someone bitter.

However if every match turned to mush, maybe that's a sign that something has to change? Whether it be strategy or just being better prepared. Watching some matches of your opponents maybe and getting a better idea of how they move in a ring... something... anything. If I were Jessie I would be doing everything I could to prove myself... in fact, I did, didn't I? And even now, I still have to prove myself. Probably more than before becoming a champion. It never stops. And that's what I came to realize this week. It doesn't matter what you do, it will never shut up the people who want to see you fail, that doesn't mean I am going to let their words get to me in a negative way. Instead I just keep going. I do what I have to do to be the best damn tag partner, the best tag team that SCW has to offer. That is the reality. And Jessie, if you and Caleb really want to beat us, then you gotta be at that same level. You gotta want this bad enough to push yourself to limits you never thought possible.

I just don't see it. I have never seen it from all the promos you have produced, not in the matches you have fought in. Unlike London Underground though, I am not going to stand here and say 'never' when it comes to the possibility that you could beat us on Sunday. You could, there is always that possibility, I just don't think either of you are ready... yet.  Again, unlike my previous opponents I do not get satisfaction from stepping on you to succeed. Part of being a champion isn't this hoopla about talking on camera, or going to fan events. That's all just surface stuff. What really makes someone a champion is heart.  That's the seed and it's all the other stuff you do leading up to making that seed grow that actually makes you a good champion.

I believe my Cousin was wrong. Being a good champion and being a successful champion are not the same thing. Being a good champion is being a leader. Someone who can push the others to be better, not just be someone to beat. I used to admire Daniel and his lot, that was until I realized they were not 'good' champions, they were just successful. I would rather be known as good than successful if being successful puts me in the same group as people who don't care about the bracket they represent. And that's fine. Not everyone has to be like me but lordy I want to be a leader. If I can just make a difference to one person I'd be happy. I hope that person is you Jessie. I really hope so, even though I have doubts.

Prove me wrong love. I'll be waiting on Sunday.

"I think we need to talk about last night..."

Jack has arrived in the hotel gym and he doesn't look happy at all. Emmie had gotten proficient at reading lips while having her headphones in. She reduces the speed on her treadmill to a walking pace and pulls out her ear buds.

"Yeah, sorry. I should have just had that bloke bring me to my own room."

He crosses his arms over his chest. "That's not what I mean, and you know it."

"It was nothing. Don't get your knickers in a twist."

Jack moves forward, pulling the emergency stop on the machine which forces Em to give him her full attention now.

"You are not quite good enough at using my own avoidance against me, Em. I am talking about you kissing me last night. I thought we had been completely honest about our feelings for one another. That there was absolutely no way this would ever turn into more than what it was supposed to be. Friendship and partners in a ring."

Emmie steps down off the treadmill. She looks him straight in the eye.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to Jack, but that doesn't mean it would ever be anything other than just some fun. You are the sort to attach sex and love. I'm not."

"So you're admitting that you are attracted to me?" He seems surprised by that and given his arrogance she was even more surprised at his surprise.

"Don't you believe that you are attractive enough for women to want to take you home?"

She chuckles, rubbing a towel through her damp hair.

"I don't believe I am ugly if that's what you mean but I highly doubt that most women would want to copulate with me..."

"Ug! Just say it Jack, 'fuck'. Women want to fuck you. It's not dirty to actually say it. And yes Jack, in terms of fuckability you totally have it. I knew from day one though what you were about. You believe in monogamy, surprisingly, and that is something that I don't usually. It's why I don't usually have long term relationships. It's why I decided on day one not to just fuck you into being my tag partner."

He 'hmpfs' as if the idea that it would work would be ludicrous

"Don't scoff at it. Sex can do amazing things when it's leverage. But it wouldn't work because of who you are, any other guy... or girl... it probably would have. It's probably another reason why Uncle Mark said you or nothing. He knew I couldn't just seduce you."

"Are you really promoting being something of a harlot?"

Em laughs. "I'm not exactly out there screwing every human with a pulse Jack. I am selective. And for the record, the last year my focus has been on being ready for SCW."

"Not even that bronzed adonis from last night?"

Em smirks, "Intimidated were you? Understandable. He's a local athlete. We got to talking about the company. He even thought he might come check out the show this weekend."

"We've gotten off topic. The kiss..."

"Doesn't mean anything. Like you said, I was drunk. I wasn't in control and I guess my libido is starting to rebel at being dormant for so long. I don't have a crush on you and I have no intention of ruining what you and Jeri have. She has no reason to worry and neither do you."

She turns back toward the treadmill.

"What about the drinking?"

She pauses. She was still telling herself she was in control. As long as she was in control it wouldn't get out of hand.

"I'm just like any other young woman in her twenties living up this free vacation in paradise. Everyone goes a little overboard sometimes."

"It's happening more frequently. Every night even. I can still smell the booze on you and it's eleven. Did you have another drink when you left my room?"

She turns, putting on her best smile. "Just a quick one to help get me moving. Can't be in bed all day when we have titles to defend."

Her stomach takes a turn and she forces herself to control it. She wasn't about to give him any fodder by puking on his shoes.

Jack shakes his head. "This is getting to be a serious problem Emmie. You're in denial. I don't know what it is that has you triggered enough to drown it all in a bottle of tequila but you need to deal with it or I'll go straight to Mark and tell him. Do you want to be stripped of the titles Em? Do you really want to prove Daniel right about being too green to be a champion? Because that's where this is heading."

He starts to walk away. "You need to stop. Cold turkey. Obviously you can't control it so you need to nip this now before you wind up dead in a ditch. Think about it, and if you're not sober by Sunday I will take steps, Em. I care about you now so I'm not going to stand by and watch you kill yourself."

He then leaves and no sooner had the door closed , then Em's stomach has bottomed out. She rushes to the nearest garbage can and completely empties the contents of her stomach into it. She sits, sliding down the wall until her ass hits the floor, sweating profusely and feeling like shit. She needed another drink. It would make this all go away. She could control it. Jack would never know. She had to practice moderation is all. That's all.