Author Topic: Artie Walks Away..  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Bobbie Dahl

• View Profile
    • Bobbie Dahl
Artie Walks Away..
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:28:15 PM »

Monday September 2nd
The Dahl Family Home
Artie Walks Way..

The last couple weeks have not gone as Bobbie Dahl had planned or even hoped they would. Heading into Summer XXXtreme, she fully expected to have a week free of Artie’s girlfriend, Ronnie, giving her the opportunity to reveal to Artie how she really felt about him. But Ronnie had other plans. She snuck onto the cruise and did everything in her power to keep Artie away from Bobbie while she avoided authorities on board from catching her and throwing her in the brig.

And it worked. At least until the Summer XXXtreme show itself when Bobbie was arrested instead of Ronnie, and Ronnie had somehow found herself starting the match in Bobbie’s place. It was, to say the least, the strangest thing SCW has seen in quite a while. And not only did Bobbie not get a chance to reveal her true feelings to Artie, but she lost the Ultimate X match and her shot at becoming Roulette Champion. It was all too much to handle, and from the moment the show was over, all Bobbie wanted to do was get back home to Illinois.

Fast forward to today which is where Bobbie has been for the last week. Back home in Illinois, in her bedroom at her parents’ home. She may very well be a thirty-two year old grown woman, but in times like these, she is much acting the teenager she never truly was in personality wise.

Bobbie’s mother, Barbara(a.k.a Barbie), has just finished cooking Bobbie’s favorite breakfast. Bobbie had spent most of the last week hidden away in her room, so Barbie had hoped a nice family breakfast might entice her to finally leave the comfort of her room. To her delight, it has. At least, it seemed like it has, as a messy-haired Bobbie has sauntered into the kitchen, heading straight for the coffee pot.

Barbie: Well...look what the cat dragged in. Your hair is a mess, Bobbie, but it’s lovely to finally see you out of bed.

Bobbie doesn’t speak a word. She pours herself a cup of coffee, adding cream and sugar to it, before shuffling over to the table and taking her seat. Her father is already seated in his chair, reading the morning newspaper and having his own cup of coffee.

Ken: Good morning to you, Bobbie.

He stares at her with a stern look until she rolls her eyes and finally breaks her silence.

Bobbie: Morning Dad. Morning Ma.

Her attitude is less than enthusiastic. And while Barbie wasn’t about to say anything about it, Ken can no longer bite his tongue.

Ken: Alright. That’s it. I’ve had enough of this.

He throws his paper down as Bobbie takes a drink of her coffee, confusion shining through her eyes. Barbie continues finishing cooking breakfast and looks to her husband for a moment.

Barbie: Ken, honey. Not now. At least she’s out of bed.

Ken: Yeah, after an entire week hidden away! Bobbie, you’re thirty-two years old. You’re not some immature teenager anymore. The way you’re acting is ridiculous, and the way you’re treating your mother and I has to stop.

Bobbie slowly sets her coffee cup down on the table. Her mother brings a plate full of sausage and bacon over to the table, and surprisingly, Bobbie doesn’t immediately dig in.

Bobbie: How am I treating you, exactly? I’m just not in the mood to talk right now.

Ken: That may be so, but the attitude? I won’t stand for it, even if you are an adult. Things may not have gone your way on the cruise, but we’ve been trying to help you and you’re doing nothing but pushing us away.

Bobbie lets out a sigh and shakes her head.

Bobbie: Can we not talk about the cruise, please?! It was the—

Barbie: Worst cruise ever...Yes, we’ve all heard it several times. Honey, you’ll have other opportunities at the title, I’m sure. Don’t let this one loss disappoint you.

Bobbie: This isn’t just about the match, Ma! The whole week was a complete disaster from the start!

Just then, the doorbell rings. Bobbie looks to her parents, now even more confused. Her father stands up and starts heading towards the door.

Bobbie: Who’s here, Ma? What am I—

When her father opens the front door and greets their guest, Bobbie gets her answer. She hears Artie’s voice from the other room and she jumps up from her seat.

Bobbie: Christ, Ma! You guys invited Artie?! I can’t let him see me like this!

Bobbie rushes down the hall and to the bathroom before her father and Artie walk into the kitchen. Ken looks to Barbie and with just a quick nod and smile, knows his plan was starting to work.

Artie: Morning Mrs. Dahl. Thanks for inviting me.

Barbie: Oh of course, Artie! You know you’re always welcome here without an invitation.

Artie sees Bobbie’s coffee mug on the table as he takes a seat in a chair opposite hers.

Artie: Where’s Bobbie?

Ken: Taking a quick shower, I suppose. She just needed a few drinks of coffee to wake up.

As they all wait for Bobbie to head back to the table, Barbie grabs a glass out of the cabinet and the orange juice from the fridge and pours a glass. She brings it over to Artie, setting it down in front of him.

Barbie: No pulp. Just the way you like it, Artie.

Artie smiles.

Artie: Thank you, Mrs. Dahl. I don’t know how anyone can drink orange juice with pulp. It’s so weird.

Just as he takes his first sip, a freshly showered Bobbie appears at the end of the hallway. Her hair is still went, but it’s now brushed and she’s wearing a clean outfit.

Bobbie: Artie! What are you doing here, buddy? I didn’t know you’d be here.

Bobbie heads over to her chair, her attitude having made a complete one-eighty spin. She takes her seat again as her mother brings the rest of the food over to the table.

Bobbie: No Ronnie this morning?

Barbie and Ken stare at their daughter, but she just smiles proudly. Artie shakes his head.

Artie: Oh. Uh. No. Not this morning. Your dad called me earlier and invited me. I thought it best not to ask if she could come. I know you don’t really like her.

Bobbie goes to respond, but Barbie places a hand on her shoulder, warning her not to say anything.

Barbie: Don’t you worry about that, Artie. If you’re happy, we’re happy for you, sweetie.

Bobbie rolls her eyes and starts loading up her plate as her mother takes her seat next to her father. An awkward silence falls between Bobbie and Artie, so Bobbie’s father decides to break it for them.

Ken: So. How about this tour coming up? Sounds like a great time, even if it’s a working vacation.

Bobbie: I’m skipping this week…

The sound of forks hitting their plates follows, but Bobbie takes a couple of bitesof bacon. They all stare at her and as she chews, she stares back.

Bobbie: What? Why are you all looking at me like that?

Barbie: Why would you skip any part of this tour, Bobbie? Have you seen the places you all are going?

Bobbie shrugs.

Artie: Bobbie...We can’t. I mean...we have to be there. You’re supposed to make personal appearances.

Bobbie: If they wanted me there they’d have booked me. But they didn’t. Besides, no one is excited to see me on the shows. They’d rather see the likes of those superhero chicks who came back, than to see the fat chick picking a Boo of the Week.

Barbie: Roberta Jean Dahl! What has gotten into you?!

This is definitely not the Bobbie they are all used to seeing, and not the attitude they have ever seen from her, either. She shovels more food into her mouth and shrugs.

Artie: You’re going to let one loss—

Bobbie throws her fork down, startling them all.

Bobbie: This isn’t about just one loss, Artie! Geez!

In a fit, Bobbie shoves herself away from the table and storms out of the kitchen. The front door is heard slamming shut a few moments later and Artie, Ken and Barbie all look at one another, worried. Ken is about to stand up and go and talk to his daughter, but Artie stands up instead.

Artie: I’ll, uh, go, Mr. Dahl.

Knowing this is the opportunity Bobbie needs, Ken doesn’t argue with Artie. He slowly sits back down in his chair as Artie walks out of the kitchen and goes to find Bobbie. She is, of course, seated on the front porch swing. Her arms are folded and when Artie walks out of the house, she turns her head to the side and quickly wipes away two tears that had formed in the corner of her eyes.

Artie: Care for some company?

She looks at him and just shrugs before sliding over on the swing, making some room for him to sit. He takes a seat next to her and the two sit in silence for a couple minutes before Artie finally speaks.

Artie: Why are you being so hard on yourself, Bobbie? As long as I’ve known you, you’ve never talked bad about yourself.

She lets out a laugh.

Bobbie: Why does it matter, Artie? All week I kept hearing about how the odds were stacked against me and all that crap. I was really looking forward to the cruise and it all went to shit!

Artie: It was only your first shot at the Roulette title, Bobbie. I know for a fact Mark and Christian will give you more.

Bobbie: Christian might. Mark Ward? You’d be saying different if you saw his words to me on Twitter yesterday. Doesn’t matter. I don’t care anymore because it’ll all get ruined anyway.

Bobbie again wipes away a couple tears and Artie just stares at her. He knows there is more going on that she’s not saying.

Artie: With that attitude, probably. What happened to the carefree—

Bobbie: What happened? What happened?! Why don’t you ask your stupid girlfriend!

Artie is taken back by her outburst, but he’s not completely surprised.

Artie: Why don’t you like her? Honestly?

Bobbie: Why should I like her? She’s all wrong for you, Artie, but nothing I say is going to get you to see it so it doesn’t matter. Plus, if it weren’t for her, I might have won the roulette championship. But, she had to go and ruin everything. Again.

Artie: If you want to blame anyone for you losing, blame me. I’m the one who couldn’t help you up that tower when Sam eliminated you.

Bobbie shakes her head and rolls her eyes.

Bobbie: If Ronnie hadn’t been there in the first place, things would have gone differently, Artie. She started the match in my place. She shouldn’t have even been on board! She ruined the entire week!

Artie: How?! She couldn’t even leave the room for most of the week because they were looking for her. How did she ruin the entire week?

Bobbie doesn’t say anything in response. She goes silent, even though this is her opportunity to finally say how she feels. Artie waits for her to say something, but she doesn’t.

Artie: How did she ruin the week, Bobbie? How?!

Bobbie: It doesn’t matter, Artie.

Artie: Yes, it does. Just say it.

Sensing he already knows, Bobbie stares at Artie. He has his arms folded and is waiting for her to say what he clearly already knows.

Bobbie: Seems to me you already know. And why does it matter? It won’t change anything, anyway.

Artie: Dang it, just say it! Why can’t you say it?! You’re so caught up in hating Ronnie because you say she’s not good for me, but you won’t even say it.

Bobbie: Maybe like you couldn’t say that you weren’t gay all those years. You just let me continue to look like a fool thinking you were gay when you weren’t.

Artie throws his hands up in the air in frustration. He stands up from the swing and stands in front of her.

Artie: I tried! Several times, in fact! I don’t even know why you ever thought I was gay in the first place.

Bobbie: Maybe because you never once had a girlfriend or asked anyone out?

Artie: Because you kept telling all the girls I was gay! Not that it mattered because I wasn’t interested in any of those girls at school anyway.

Bobbie stares at him and her heart flutters for a moment. But she still can’t say the words that they both need her to say.

Artie: You’re really not going to say anything, are you?

Bobbie: What do you want me to say? It doesn’t change anything, Artie. You’re dating Ronnie, and she’s always going to be around and ruin everything!

Artie: She’s not here now!

Bobbie lowers her head as she can’t find it in herself to look at him anymore. He throws his arms in the air again before he lets out a disappointed sigh.

Artie: I guess this is how it’s going to be then. You have no problem flirting and throwing yourself at all the those other athletic and built guys, but you can’t even say the words I’m asking you to say. Fine.

Artie shakes his head.

Artie: Tell your parents thanks for breakfast for me.

He then turns and walks away, heading back to his house across the street. Bobbie is shocked and as he walks away, she panicks and jumps up from the swing.

Bobbie: Artie! Wait! I…

Artie stops for a moment, turns around and stares at her. His face is serious, and his eyes are full of hurt.

Artie: Sorry, Bobbie. You had your chance.

He then turns his back on her once again, disappearing back to his house and inside. Bobbie stands there, heartbroken, silently kicking herself.

Bobbie: I love you…

But the words came too little, too late…
>