Author Topic: Despy's Super Duper Annual Halloween RP!  (Read 457 times)

Offline Despayre

• Beware the stare
    • View Profile
    • Despayre
Despy's Super Duper Annual Halloween RP!
« on: October 28, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »
 A full moon.

Of course it was a full moon. At times such as these, in stories in what you are about to be told, it would have to be a full moon. There was a proper way to telling stories like this, and in doing so, one had to set the mood. High above in the twilight, the round moon shone big and bright, a light hazy overcast dimming it ever so to a less than elegant shade of yellow. The wind was light and brief, but just enough so that the clouds that lined the night sky, barely blotting out the stars that accompanied the Man in the Moon, lingered and drifted across the light of the moon, causing reminiscent of a late night horror movie. As if the claws of some unseen spirit or monster were about to extend up into the impossible length of the sky and part them so that the shimmering light could descend down upon us. It succeeded in doing so, only partially, as radiant moon beams peaked from the cover of the clouds and coursed far below onto the building that had , just this evening, hosted a fun filled evening of professional wrestling, courtesy of Sin City Wrestling.

The Building With No Name. Ominous, huh? Well it's to be expected in stories like this. For now, we'll refer to it as SCW Arena. It was building of sufficient size, having sold out over three thousand seats to three thousand eager fans. Well, two thousand, nine hundred and ninety eight. One fan was just really super fat, so he counted as two. All in all, a most successful evening for all, (except for the losers) and fans went home happy. The parking lot's lamp posts were bright for security, and the building's own exterior lights were dim but on as there was only one vehicle parked front and center.

Heavy breathing was heard... and no, it was not because Synn and Chris Shipman were found in the bushes (again). This was coming from somewhere far in the shadows, hidden from plain sight. At least for now. The soft padding of feet on the parking lot's pavement was heard, one after the other. Slowly it crept forward, inching closer and closer ...

A shadow against the pavement elongated, and stretched further and further as the figure approached the arena, each step impossibly soft for the sheer size of the figure looming ever so much closer. And just inside of the lobby, the figure appeared at the dual glass doors -- the startling sight of a giant teddy bear with a ghastly painted clown face! Its paws braced against the glass of the doors as its eyes darted left and right, looking -- searching...

Lightning flashed! Thunder rumbled! Clouds gathered in the night sky as a soft rain broke from its celestial restraints and started to fall down in a swift and steady stream of pellets. Down onto the grounds of the ancient and gothic cemetery.

All around the grounds were markers of tombstones and statues, from gargoyles to ward away dark spirits to angelic hosts to protect the souls of the departed from far more malevolent forms of evil. The old, iron gates swung in the wind, their forgotten care causing stiff creaks that would be to the ears as nails to a chalkboard. Further and further we move past tombstones with carvings such as "Matt Ward's Efed Career" and "Trump Campaign 2016". Until finally we arrive at the doors of a mausoleum, doors that remained open. Candles were lit on the interior, cobwebs everywhere the eye could see, and a lone figure, lurched over the one single stone casket in the center of the floor, cloaked in a gray robe complete with a hood drawn over the face to better hide the identity. On the stone coffin lay a blood red draping, and on that -- a bag from Panda Express.

The figure extended pale hands to draw up the hood and throw it off and a bright smile greeted us...

Despayre: Hello! It's me! Despayre! Speaking to you from within the grave! WooOooooOOOo!

Despayre finished with the spooky 'jazz hands' before he resumed his seat and proceeded to start opening the Panda Express takeout bag, removing the white carton filled to the brim with Chinese fast food goodness while he spoke.

Despayre: Now! You're probably wondering what that was all about, and what's going on here. Well, if you paid closer attention to me over the years, you'd realize this is the one time of year where we abandon reality in favor of make believe! This is the time of year where the veil between world's is at its thinnest and we celebrate the fact by dressing up in fun and sometimes strange costumes, then go around and beg for candy. I do that too, cause you know -- free candy! But I also have much more in store over the next several days! I have a very important championship defense coming up against a man, if he is indeed a man (Angel has theories against that), and as we draw nearer to that fateful evening, we prepare ourselves with a woeful tale of the macabre! Prepare yourselves!

Despayre flipped open the lid of the takeout carton.

Despayre:  You are about to enter the Despy Zone! Do do do do do do do do!

Despayre then cast a glance down at the bounty that was his food and a frown creased his youthful brow.

Despayre: Oh no! They forgot my egg rolls!

Despayre looked up toward the sky, er, ceiling.

Despayre: This really is a tale of horror!

The building was empty now, as all men and women who competed for SCW had called it a night to go out and party or return to their hotel rooms to better nurse the injuries inflicted upon them by their evening's opposition. Only one remained...

Inside of the furthest interior of the arena sat Christian Underwood, SCW's co-owner. Normally he would have taken his leave much sooner, leaving with the others for an evening of frivolity, but he remained behind just long enough to take care of a few last minute details for the next show. This would have gone a lot faster had his business partner, "Hot Stuff" Mark Ward, not taken such an extended leave of absence, but it was what it was. Christian finally shut the records book he kept for meticulous detail on SCW's business records, or as Mark would refer to it as -- anal retentive.

Christian: Finally.

He muttered as he stood upright, stretching his legs. He heard the door that led into this office open, meaning the security guard Maynard (yes, you read that name correctly!) was checking on him. Lucky coincidence, as it meant he did not have to go in search of the old man in order to let him out and lock up afterwards. A large shadow fell over Christian's back as he started to turn around.

Christian: Hey Maynard, I'm ready to...

Christian turned around and saw exactly what was standing behind him -- and towering over him! He looked up... further up... his eyes widening.

Christian: AHHHHHHH!!!!!

The Malt Shoppe

Ah! A good old fashioned malt shop, just like they used to have back in the seventies -- or in modern times around universities for a touch of nostalgia. Inside of the malt shop, a tune was playing on the jukebox, as several teenagers danced together on the limited space that wasn't even meant to be used as a dance floor. Annoyed diner waitresses moves around and swerved aside from the bodies as they brought meals to tables, and one such table was occupied by the stars of this tale of horror;

Odette Stevens; her red hair pulled back with a purple headband and wearing a lavender body dress, lime green scarf and purple high heel boots.

Rage; his formerly bald head now sporting a floppy mop of tussled brown hair, and wearing a loose green t shirt and baggy brown pants and black shoes.

Synn; thick rimmed glasses over his eyes, an orange turtle neck sweater and dark orange pants with black shoes.

Confused yet? Well give it time, because you will be! The waitress placed their plates down in front of them, and with a soft "thank you" from Odette, Rage snatched at his food and began to devour it, earning him a look of disgust from Odette.

Odette: Do you ever, like, swallow?

Rage looked up with an already half eaten burger, his mouth so full the French fries were poking through his lips and he looked at her with curios wonder.

Rage: What?

Synn rustled the newspaper that was in his hands.

Synn: Hey gang, listen to this! Famous pro wrestling promoter mysteriously vanishes. Christian Underwood disappeared from a building following a recent Sin City Wrestling show, and no trace was found of him save for a teddy bear that was left in the business office, on his chair.

Odette: A teddy bear? Weird!

Rage: Mmppphprhph!

Odette: Uh, gross! Can we please NOT talk with our mouths full?

Synn: Hm, yes. Good luck finding a time when he's not eating.

He looked back down to the newspaper.

Synn: It says here that while authorities are investigating, Christian's business partner Mark ward will continue operations during their tour.

Rage swallowed an impossibly colossal mouthful and smiled.

Rage: Awesome! That means we won't miss out on the show we were going to see!

Synn: And while we're there, we can have a look around and see if we can dig anything up in the Case of the Missing Promoter.

Odette: Oo! Looks like we've stumbled on another mystery!

Synn: Someone should tell Gabriel and Despy... say...

Synn turned his head left and right, looking for their other buddies but not seeing the inseparable pair.

Synn: Where are Gabriel and Despy anyway?

Rage: Out in the parking lot. Gabriel decided while we were in here where it was safe, he'd give Despy another driving lesson.

Synn: Jinkies!

Jinkies indeed! As out in the parking lot, sticking out like a sore thumb amongst the various sporty cars such as Scion FR-S and Mazda MX-5 Miata, rests a large van painted teal and green with "Secrets Machine" emblazoned in big, orange lettering. True indeed, the fabled vehicle of the Secrets Society, the mystery solving sleuths whom of some we had just been introduced! Yet now, here we are, getting to know two others, the final two mentioned mere moments ago: Despayre and Gabriel, both of whom sat in the front seat of the Secrets Machine, Despayre behind the wheel and his closest pal and leader of the Secrets Society, Gabriel.

The soft hum of the van told the story that Gabriel was indeed doing as his wife and fellow mystery solver had said, he was giving Despayre some much needed driving lessons. To date, everyone else had taken turns behind the wheels of the ol' Machine, save for Despy. But after much whining and pleading, he was finally going to be given his turn -- just as soon as he stopped being a danger on the roads. The van pulled out, stopped, pulled out further, jerked to a halt...

Gabriel: Despy, You're not making a milkshake here!

Despayre: Well I'm sorry but who even drives stick anymore!?

Gabriel: Well maybe next time you do one of these weird stories, you'll have the van be automatic.

Despayre turned to Gabriel with a look of aghast, mouth open and a deep frown on his youthful face.

Despayre: I couldn't do that! It would be immoral! It would be unethical! It would not be authentic! And what are you wearing!?

Gabriel, his shoulder length blonde hair dangled down into his eyes as he looked down, not understanding what was so wrong with his attire; a white collared shirt, blue pants and orange neckerchief. Gabriel frowned at Despayre whose eyes just screamed "O-kay!".

Gabriel: It's laundry day, okay! This was all that I had until O does the wash!

Despayre: Not that! I meant....

He pointed at the neckerchief.

Despayre: .... That!

Gabriel ran his fingers along the orange accessory and shook his head, not understanding what was wrong with that little addition to his ensemble.

Gabriel: It's a classic look!

Despayre: Maybe so but it makes you look sorta gay.

Gabriel: Let's not throw stones! I mean You're just wearing a t shirt with a teddy bear on it and black jeans. That's... that's ... actually that's a sort of cool look, so let's just continue with your lesson and forget about my clothes.

Gabriel turned in the front passenger seat and pointed ahead.

Gabriel: Okay, now be careful. You see that old lady crossing the parking lot?

Despayre: Yup! I'm on it!

His foot jammed down onto the gas and the van surged ahead before Gabriel shouted, grabbing the wheel!

Gabriel: No! I didn't mean play Pedestrian Polo! That's scheduled for next week! I was just...

But before he could finish his train of thought, there was a rap on the window of the van. Despayre turned to roll down his window and found Synn looking inside at him and Gabriel.

Synn: Odette found us a new mystery to solve. Our first stop needs to be in Sacramento.

Despayre: I'm on it!

Gabriel: No, wait! Despy!

But too late as Despayre stomped on the gas again and tore out of the parking lot, leaving Synn, Odette and Rage in a trail of exhaust....

Backstage at the Ultimate Terror Scream Park, where a special Halloween wrestling show would be taking place, courtesy of SCW, the members of the Secret Society all but ignored the many Haunted Tours this world famous horror themed park offered, all the better to do what they did best. After all, it was business before pleasure!

Despayre: So You're saying that you haven't heard anything from Christian? Not since that last show?

Mark: Not a word, selfish little shi...

Despayre: Hey hey hey! This here is a family promo!

Yes indeed, the gang was actually talking to the man himself; "Hot Stuff" Mark Ward, Christian's business partner and as of now, the prime suspect in his disappearance. Mark stared at the oddball ensemble around him, before he rolled his eyes and massaged his temple as he sat back down at the desk he had been using while making preparations for the show.

Mark: Yeah, whatever. As I was saying, the selfish plonker just upped and vanished. Disappeared. Poof!

Despayre turned to Gabriel and shook his head.

Despayre: is that politically correct for him to be calling Christian a poof?

Gabriel: No, Despy... he wasn't calling him a poof. He was just making the sound, as in poof! He's gone!

Despayre nodded and mouthed "oh!" before they again turned to Mark and beckoned him to continue.

Mark: Annnyway! Just because I upped and took off for a break doesn't mean it's alright for him to do it too! It was all fine until he went and did the same thing!

Synn: And all that was left behind was ... that?

Synn pointed to, of course, the small teddy bear that sat perched on the corner of Mark's desk; a teddy bear that had brown hair on its soft scalp and was wearing clothes remarkably like the ones Christian was wearing the night he disappeared.

Mark: Yeah. At first the police thought it was evidence but what really could a teddy bear have to do with any of this? So, they asked me if I wanted it. I didn't, not really, but I took it for when I see that little arse hat Christian.

Odette: So you can give it to him?

Mark: So I can shove it down his throat for taking off!

Despayre: Understandable.

Despayre then looked up at Synn and twirled a forefinger around his ear and pointed it at Mark.

Gabriel: Well thank you Mister Ward. If you don't mind, we're going to have a look around?

Mark said nothing, but waved them off, giving them the go ahead. The gang turned to leave but not before Despayre swerved back around and stuck his finger in Mark's face.

Despayre: But we got our eyes on you!

And Gabriel hurried back to grab his Despy by the shoulders and he turned him about face and marched him out of the office, closing the door behind them. Mark stared after them, silently thinking to himself "You meet all kinds in this business!" Thus, his bewilderment caused him not to see the towering figure of the clown faced teddy bear emerge from the shadows behind him and it quickly wrapped its arms around his head and neck and dragged him back before he could utter so much as a cry of alarm!....

Meanwhile, just outside of the office door...

Gabriel: Despy, what was that all about?

Despayre: Whaddya mean? I think that guy is prime suspect number one!

Rage: I don't understand.

Despayre: You should have that printed on a t shirt. Look! Christian and Mark own SCW together, and its on the fast track to becoming THE top wrestling promotion in the country! If something happens to one of them, the other gets full control!

Odette: And full profits.

Despayre snaps his fingers and points to her, causing Odette to look quite proud of herself for deducing that little nugget of information.

Synn: Well still, despite the evidence to the contrary, there's no proof that Mark carried this out. That's why I think we should split up and look for clues.

Despayre: Clues!?

He whipped a magnifying glass up from out of nowhere and held it in front of his face, escalating his features to five times their normal size.

Despayre: Dum dum dum dum!

Gabriel: Well before we do that, I think we should go back in there and apologize for insinuating anything about poor Mister Ward.

Despayre groaned audibly as Gabriel again steered him around to the office door and knocked first (always be polite) before he opened it and he, and the gang, stepped inside.

Gabriel: Mister Ward, we just wanted to say we're... whoa!

The others quickly gathered up at Gabriel's sides and looked at the new addition to the desk top, a tan teddy bear wearing the same outfit that Mark Ward had just been sporting, and it was seated right beside the Christian teddy bear. Synn leaned in closer and adjusted his glasses.

Synn: Okay, now that's just plain weird!

Despayre: Wasn't that weird? But then again, can you really expect anything different? And trust me when I say things are going to get even weirder! But as is expected, we have to take a brief break from the good stuff so we can focus on the real snooze fest in the world of promos; namely the shoot! You see, in just a few days I myself am going to experience the thrill of being inside of the ring again, and this time I get to wrestle someone completely new! Yay me!

It isn't altogether that often I get to wrestle someone completely different. It's not like I'm facing J2H or Steve Ramone again. Nope, no siree! This time I get to wrestle Samuel Devereux and defend my Internet Championship against him! Fun, amIright? I admit I don't watch a whole lot of wrestling matches. I get distracted easily enough and tend to want to watch other stuff, better stuff. Maybe a movie or a new British sitcom that Gabriel recommended. Dad watches wrestling matches for me though, and he told me that Samuel is a very good wrestler. He's had a handful of matches and only lost once. One loss! Wow, that's one less than me so no WONDER he's getting a shot at my title!

But see, as good a wrestler as Samuel is, Angel tells me that there's something else altogether different about him. And when a teddy bear of Angel's caliber tells you that there is something -- otherworldly -- about someone, you know to pay close attention and heed his advice! So I've been listening to everything that Angel and dad have been telling me about you, Sammy! Is it okay if I call you Sammy? You won't catch ME unaware! I'm ready, willing, and possibly able!

Gabriel: So can you please explain to me why every time we split up, you have to go with Odette and myself?

Gabriel was referring to the habit that no matter what, no matter how, every single time the gang split up in order to look for clues and solve their mystery, Gabriel and his wife Odette were ALWAYS accompanied by the spectacled Synn.

Synn: Because someone has to do the thinking between the three of us. We all know why when you divide teams, you always pair yourself up with Odette here and try to leave me, Rage and Despayre on the other team.

Gabriel: She's my wife! Of course I should be paired with her!

Synn: Irrelevant. When there's a mystery to be solved, it's all business. No hanky panky allowed in the spooky corridors.

Odette: Yeah that's not what we saw when Shipman was a part of the team and you always split up with him.

Synn frowned as his thoughts drifted back to the now absent member of the team.

Synn: Oh yeah, that man has such a big mouth. Which reminds me, I should really give him a call.

Gabriel and Odette looked at one another and visibly shuddered.

Synn: And besides, you don't see Rage and Despayre complaining about being teamed up, do you?

On the other side of the horror park, Rage folded his arms across his chest and growled.

Rage: C'mon, Despy! It doesn't take that long to decide what to get! I didn't take so long!

Rage was referring to the fact that the two took a brief break from clue hunting to stop at one of the random booths that offered snacks. From hot dogs to pretzels to frozen bananas and chocolate covered pickles (ew!), the booths had it all, so Rage could not figure out why his teammate had such trouble choosing a treat. Despayre looked back over his shoulder.

Despayre: Sure, that's because you just chose one of everything!

And indeed it was true, Rage's arms were over loaded with the snack treats. Hey! At fun places like this, you HAD to sample a little bit of everything! Rage huffed an annoyed breath and leaned back against a tall pillar while Despayre went back to his selection, when two large, furry arms reached out toward Rage from behind...

Despayre: There! I got a pretzel and a corn dog! Happy!?

Despayre turned around and blinked to find that his teammate was no longer there.

Despayre: Hello? Rage?

He then looked down and saw all the spilled food that Rage had just purchased scattered all over the grounds. Despayre shook his head and rolled his eyes.

Despayre: Such. A. Waste!

Gabriel: Despy? Where's Rage?

The group had met at the center of the park at the designated time, but one of their party was obviously missing. Despayre looked at Gabriel, Synn and Odette with innocent eyes and shrugged.

Despayre: Beats me! I was getting a snack and when I turned around, he was gone. I thought maybe the nachos backed up on him so I waited outside that port-a-potty for twenty minutes before I realized he wasn't coming out. I decided to come and see if he wandered off to find you guys and that's when I found this!

And this being a new teddy bear, one sporting a goatee and shaggy hair, and again, the same clothes that Rage had been wearing. All eyes fell to it and Odette cooed.

Odette: Look at the Rage teddy bear! It's so cute!

Despayre, Gabriel and Synn turned to look at her and she shrugged innocently.

Odette: Well it is!

Gabriel: Another teddy bear? This is getting weirder and weirder!

Synn: Isn't it? People are turning up missing, and each time they get replaced by a teddy bear! And not just people, but each missing person was either an active or a retired professional wrestler.

Despayre: Oo! Curios! I hadn't noticed that little detail before!

Someone tapped Despayre on the shoulder but he shrugged it off, too into this mystery to be polite.

Despayre: I mean, what could teddy bears have to do with disappearing peoples?

**tap tap** And again it was shrugged off.

Despayre: I mean most of the time teddy bears are just found in bedrooms and carnivals, so...

**tap tap** and this time, Despayre whirled around with an annoyed...

Despayre: WHAT!?

And the group of the Secret Society found themselves staring U-P at the towering evil clown teddy bear...

Odette: Eep!

And suddenly Gabriel, Despayre and Synn were all piled high in Odette's arms and her legs pumped madly and took off in a fast sprint with the clown teddy bear giving chase! Around the booths and ducking past and through various haunted attractions, the pursuit continued as the group clung to one another while Odette ran them to somewhere safe! Anywhere would be considered safe when you're being chased by a giant clown teddy bear! And those aren't words to hear every day!

A zombie on stilts walked across their path and Gabriel gave him an elbow and the zombie cried out as he toppled over and hit the ground, bringing up a thick cloud of dust and dirt! This did not slow the evil teddy bear down as it continued its pursuit, hopping over the downed zombie as he tried to right himself! Gabriel looked behind them as Odette ran and glanced down at Synn...

Gabriel: Bugger's quick! Gotta give him that!

Despayre: Look out!

Too late as Odette raced between two poles with a large cable stretched across it! Gabriel turned just in time to see it come towards his head... and he spun around like a whirlwind as Odette didn't slow down, and he stopped spinning and hit the ground with a thud! Coughing and aching all over, Gabriel struggled to sit up and looked up at what was casting a shadow over him...

Gabriel: Oh now that ain't right!

And clear across the park, the chase had slowed down until it ended when they realized they were no longer being pursued! One by one, they crawled down from Odette's arms and stood on their own two feet. They caught their breath and dusted themselves off, as Odette looked around.

Odette: Where's Gabriel?

Despayre: Where ... WHERE'S Gabriel!? You dropped him halfway back across the park!

Odette blinked, appearing confused.

Odette: I did? No! I wouldn't do that! I... I...

Suddenly a thought occurred to her and she smiled at them.

Odette: I lasted longer than Gabriel in one of these RPs!?.. I mean, my poor husband is gone! Taken and left to the mercy of a monster teddy bear!

She dabbed at her eyes with her scarf while Synn and Despayre exchanged a look.

Despayre: When it pursuit of their targets, teddy bears HAVE no mercy! I just don't get why this teddy bear is targeting us, or wrestlers for that matter!

Synn: If we're going to get any answers, they can only come straight from the source. We are going to have to capture the teddy bear clown!

Synn turned to look at Despayre. Despayre turned to look at Odette. Odette turned to look at the mirror behind her and she shrieked in surprise. She then cleared her throat, composing herself. She held up a mighty fist.

Odette: I mean, right!

Despayre: Well I hafta hand it to you! This is the most elaborate trap that we've seen yet!

Synn: Thank you! Usually Gabriel makes these for us but since he went and got himself whacked by an evil teddy bear...

Synn looked quickly to Odette.

Synn: My condolences by the way... I had to improvise. I looked at his blue prints but couldn't understand a darned thing about them so I just threw a bunch of them together and here we are!

He waved an arm and Despayre and Odette turned to look at the complicated contraption before them.

Synn: First we are going to lure the clown teddy bear across that pile of Legos. He's bare foot, or pawed, and we all know what stepping on Legos with your bare feet feels like.

Despayre: I said I was sorry! Yeesh!

Synn: The teddy bear will stumble into the row of boards that will have a dominoes affect up the ladder. The last board will hit the juggler's bowling pin which will fall off the ladder and into hit the bellow which will blow air onto the trapeze artist's wheel on the wire.

Odette: Trapeze artist? I thought we were in a haunted theme park. When did it become a circus?

Synn: I don't know! Work with me here!

Odette: Sorry!

Synn: The wheel will roll down the lines and strike the match against the sandpaper which will light the candle. The candle will burn through the other rope holding up the anvil. The anvil will then drop and hit the see-saw which the monster would have fallen on, sending him through the air and into the vat of cotton candy.

Despayre: What if the monster doesn't stumble onto the see-saw?

Synn: Excuse me?

Despayre: I'm just saying! There's no guarantee that the teddy bear will fall onto it after stepping on the Legos.

Synn: Look...

Despayre: I mean it's the little details that make the trap and Gabriel ALWAYS thought out every de...

Synn: I AM NOT GABRIEL!

Synn's outburst startled both Despayre and Odette who jumped almost out of their shoes. As Synn regained his composure, Despayre turned to Odette and jetted a thumb back over his shoulder toward his fashion impaired father.

Despayre: You hear how he talks to me?

Odette shook her head in reprimand and Despayre turned back to address his dad.

Despayre: I'll accept your apology in the form of bacon and eggs...

But where was Synn? He was gone too! Their eyes looked down and yes, you guessed it, a Synn teddy bear! Despayre looked to Odette and huffed.

Despayre: Are you finding this exhausting?

Odette rolled her eyes and nodded, when suddenly from behind them popped up the evil clown teddy bear with a thunderous roar! Odette and Despayre jumped and shrieked in fear and took off running, but not before Odette kicked her leg up and martial arts kicked the bear right between the eyes in rapid succession, like the speed of a hummingbird! Oh, then she took off running too!

The teddy bear gave chase once again, having recovered from the devastating blows of Odette! It raced past a display of wax figures, two of which were strangely familiar. It paused and backed up to look at the figures in particular, at the redheaded carnival barker and the pale figure with black hair, dressed in a Southern belle's outfit and parasol. It leaned in close, growling, when Despayre swung his parasol around and clobbered the bear in the side of the ol' noodle and he and O took off again!

The teddy bear went right after them and chased them straight into the Horror House of Mirrors! Trapped! That's how Odette and Despayre found themselves as they were backed up against a wall of mirrors when Despayre cried valiantly.

Despayre: Get behind me Odette!

Odette: Okay!

And she wasted no time in ducking behind him and he huffed as the clown teddy bear advanced on them.

Despayre: Boy you're really anxious to make it to the end of one of these things, aren't you!?

But Despayre stood bravely and spit in his hands before putting up his dukes as the monster teddy bear came up upon them! The clown teddy bear loomed over them menacingly when all of a sudden Despayre pointed behind it.

Despayre: Why look! It's supreme teddy bear movie star, Ted!

The clown teddy bear spun around to see the hero of teddy bears the world over, but instead found itself staring at its own reflection in another mirror! The monster bear shrieked in fear and took off -- and straight THROUGH -- the mirror wall! Odette looked at Despayre curiously.

Despayre: It was just a hunch.

He and Odette then quickly ducked outside to spot the clown teddy bear racing for its life, having been terrified at its very own reflection! And the path the teddy bear chose took it right across the scattered pile of Legos which it stepped on with its bare paws (get it? bear/bare paws? Huh? Huh? Hm, tough room!)! The bear roared in pain and clutched its paws and hopped about on a single paw before it lost its balance and fell on the see-saw! It fell back against the row of boards which the first toppled over the second and so on up, until it knocked over the bowling pin and -- really? Do we have to go over this again!? Odette and Despayre watched in wide eyed wonder as the trap set itself off, culminating in the anvil landing on the other end of the see-saw, sending the clown teddy bear flying through the air and landing with a splat in the cotton candy machine!

Odette looked at Despayre...

Odette: Well what do you know? It worked!

And the pair raced ahead to make the capture and alert the proper authorities.

Soon enough, the clown teddy bear was tied up tight and held as Despayre and Odette spoke to the arresting police officer.

Cop: I see! So the teddy bear here was the one behind all of the random disappearances?

Odette: That's right officer!

Despayre nodded eagerly.

Despayre: Uh huh! It all makes sense now! You see, teddy bears aren't infinite in numbers. in their war against the shadows, they have to sometimes conscript new teddy bears into their ranks in the ever growing war against evil!

Odette: It makes sense because not everyone goes to the Build-A-Bear stores to create new teddy bear warriors, and the more they have on their side, the bigger advantage they have against the creepy crawlies that lurk in our closets.

Despayre: And under our beds! And they look for the toughest and the roughest, so of course they'd go after professional wrestlers! Men and women who make a living doing battle inside of the ring!

Odette: And they came after Synn, Rage and Gabriel because they are or were wrestlers, once upon a time. Unfortunately, though, there's no way to reverse the conversion process. Once a teddy bear, always a teddy bear.

Despayre: Which brings us to reveal the dastardly culprit, of course the one and only...

Despayre grabbed the mask and pulled it off to reveal...

Despayre: ANGEL!

Odette: Angel!?

Cop: ANGEL!?

Despayre: Angel! Angel here is the prime leader of the largest battalion of teddy bears so of course he would take full command when it came time to recruit! He is very serious about his job and the war against the boogey men of the world so if he had to draft to do it, he'd draft!

Angel: And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling little mother...

Back in the mausoleum, Despayre was twirling his plastic fork in his chow mein noodles when he glanced up and started.

Despayre: Hi! Welcome back! Heh heh heh! Don't worry. I promise this will be the last time we interrupt your viewing pleasure with the more mundane side in the world of pro wrestling. I just wanted to talk to my opponent just one more time and then be on my way.

Sammy Devereux, I am really looking forward to this weekend! Not just because of our match, although that's certainly a priority, but because I am just tickled pink to try and figure out just what it is that makes you tick. Besides being a top grade wrestler, my dad also says that you're a family man, married and you even have a ittle one on the way. When that little bundle of joy finally shows himself or herself, you let me know and Angel will begin searching for their protector. It's just the kinda bear he is, but he's also my beastie and very protective in nature and that's why you have to keep a close eye on him as well as myself.

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't need Angel to interfere in our match in order to win. As a matter of fact, I don't like anyone getting involved in my matches to help me unless my opponent does the same, first. But dad and Angel both say that you're not the sort to need to do that kinda thing. I'm just giving you this warning because it's like I said, Angel warned me there's more to you than meets the eye. If that means that you may out me in danger, somewhere, somehow, then woe be to you when you have HIM to answer to for even having such a notion! You and me? I'd much rather have ourselves a fun match, just the two of us. And I do plan on winning, yes. I mean, look at the stock I come from. I wouldn't be doing my family and friends very proud if I didn't try my bestest to win. If that means I have to do so and send you flying to do it, then I am going to just send you flying...

With a flick of his wrist, Despayre accidentally sent his forkful of chow mein flying across the mausoleum. He looked off in the direction it was tossed, then looks at the camera and nodded.

Despayre: Yeah! Just like that!

He then wrinkled his nose.

Despayre: Boy these cobwebs in here really make a guy feel like he hasta... hasta...

He makes 'that face' and looks around for a tissue or a hanky in desperation, but finding none, he reaches behind his head and pulled his costume hood over his head and...

Despayre: ACHOO!!!!!!!!!!

He then just sat there and started to twiddle his thumbs, only the lower half of his face seen.

Despayre: You know, out of all my limited options, this was really probably the worst.

The Secrets Machine soon as traveling down the interstate with Despayre behind the wheel, the only two surviving members of the Secret Society traveling back home to Las Vegas to rest and recover from the ordeal of not just the latest of mysteries being solved, but also the loss of three of their core members. They had been traveling for what seemed like hours when they passed a large sign, a tourist trap if there ever was one, that simply read, "See The Mystery Spot!"

Despayre: Oo! The Mystery Spot! let's go see the Mystery Spot!

Odette: Gee, Despy. I don't know. I am awfully tired.

Despayre started to bounce up and down in his seat, practically making their van do the tango on the interstate.

Despayre: Aw c'mon Odette! It'll be fun! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!?

Odette sighed and finally resigned herself. After all, whatever Despy wanted...

And before you knew it, Odette and Despayre were standing in front of a gaping, shadowy hole in the middle of nowhere while a toothless old woman prepared to take their picture...

Despayre: Boy! What an adventure!

Odette: I just can't believe that I FINALLY survived one of these...!!!

But she doesn't have a chance to finish her thought as two long, clawed hands reach out from The Mystery Spot and snatch her around the ankles and drags her screaming into the darkness! Despayre watches with wide eyes, bending at the waist further and further until he stands upright. He looks at the old woman, scratches behind his ear, looks in the air and then hurriedly walks away, muttering...

Despayre: I just know I'M going to be blamed for this!

>
>

"A teddy bear does not depend upon mechanics to give him the semblance of life. He is loved - and therefore he lives."