Author Topic: Natalie's 24th Birthday  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Natalie McKinley

• View Profile
Natalie's 24th Birthday
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:00:20 PM »
 OOC: This RP is set on June 30th of this year, and follows on from the events of two previous RPs, which can be read here and here.

Inside the terminal of Grand Forks International Airport in Grand Forks, North Dakota, Edie Frederik is seen awaiting the arrival of someone. She did not have to wait for much longer, as the person that she was expecting soon appeared - that being Natalie McKinley, whose face lit up upon spotting Edie. Pulling a trolley case behind her, Natalie then quickly walked over to where her friend was stood, and used her free hand to greet Edie with a hug.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “It’s so good to see you again. Thank you so much for coming to pick me up.”

Edie shrugged hugging back, greeting her warmly.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “You did call me the ambassador of North Dakota, or something like that, right? Didn’t want the trek from here to Pembina to be boring. I know these old roads like the back of my hand. How have you been? You look like you’re taking good care of yourself.”

Breaking off the hug, Natalie took a step back from Edie, and looked her up and down.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “As do you. And I’m good, thanks. Japan was great. The weather there was similar to how it is here - much more agreeable than the heat in Vegas.”

Natalie smiled despite herself, as she realised what she had just said.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Listen to me, talking about the weather like a stereotypical Brit.”

She then laughed softly at herself.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “How are things with you, Edie?”

Edie laughed along, brushing her hair from her face.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “I’m doing okay, I guess. My brother’s been depressed more lately so I’ve really been focusing on him. I did talk him into going to a local facility during the day where he can socialize with other disabled people. I think it’s important for him to know he’s not alone. And they can speak more on it than I can. Even though I love him I don’t know what it’s really like to be disabled. My knee injury doesn’t count. That was just a setback.”

She waved her hand in the air.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Listen at me, once I get started on him I never stop. And since you mentioned it, people around here remark on the weather all the time. Mostly the old farmers over breakfast at McDonald’s. Maybe I should take you over there, you’d fit right in!”

Edie stuck out her tongue, giving Natalie a bit of a ribbing.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Not because of the ‘old’ part, I hope.”

Natalie laughed at Edie’s quip.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I don’t mind hearing you talk about your brother, you know. It’s nice to hear how much you care about him, Edie. I know his situation isn’t easy for either of you.”

Edie nodded, pausing in thought briefly, then shifted gears.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Shall we head to the car? Do I need to grab anything? Tell me about Japan, how was it?”

Edie was talking rapidly to change the subject, and getting rather flustered. She stopped.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “I’m sorry…I missed you. I’m usually a lady of few words and here I am babbling away.”

Natalie smiled at Edie, and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “It’s okay, Edie. I‘ve missed you too. It’s been too long since we last saw one another in the flesh.”

Natalie looked behind herself, over her shoulder, at her trolley case.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I’ve only got the one case with me...”

She then looked back to Edie.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “...so I should be able to manage by myself, thanks. How about you lead the way to the car? Then we can talk about whatever you feel like talking about.”

Edie rubbed her hands together and nodded. She motioned off in the opposite direction she had come in.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Very well, this way then.”

Edie and Natalie headed away from the baggage area out past the food and shopping terminals in the airport. She held open the door for Natalie so she could clear her bag through.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Talking on the phone or texting just isn’t the same as in person, I agree. I hope you don’t mind, I told some of the kids in town you were coming. I bet they’ll want an autograph or two. I used to be the hero around here, now they all want muscles like you!”

Edie laughed as they arrived at her silver Acura.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Really? It still surprises me that there are people that want my autograph, or that anyone would want me to pose for a photo with them because of what I do for a living.”

Edie popped the trunk for Natalie to put her case in.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Well, you know…for you or me doing what we do, it’s just a job. Something we love sure, the hard hours in the gym, lifting and training. But for the fans, and kids especially we’re like something beyond normal. Closest thing to real life superheroes maybe. Even though people like police, firemen, doctors, even their own parents are the real heroes. Maybe they take that for granted a little bit. But if I can make someone smile, maybe forget their problems for an evening because I’m in there fighting…it sweetens the deal, you know? And just talking about it makes me miss the ring a bit.”

She frowned slightly.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Are you all set? Ready for the drive? You can control the radio if you like…”

A sarcastic smile crossed Natalie’s face.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I’m not sure that I can handle such a responsibility.”

Edie started the car and pulled out of the parking spot.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Really? Well, I think we can start you at the entry level position instead. How does monitoring the air conditioning sound?”

Natalie nodded.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I think I can manage that.”

As suggested, Natalie checked the settings for the car’s air conditioning. She then stared out of the window, as the drive from Grand Forks to Pembina got underway.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Do you really miss the ring, Edie? I had gotten the impression over the past few months, that you were happy enough with how you were spending your time away from wrestling.”

Edie drove on and nodded, offering a bittersweet smile.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “I guess you could say I’m torn. I think about it alot. And doing what I’ve been doing, it’s been pretty gratifying. I love my brother very much, and I’m glad to be strong for him now when he needs it most. He was strong for me when we were younger. I don’t know, I guess I’m more spurred on by the idea of family legacy in the business. All those generations, and the ones living still try and get me going. At the end of the day I have to do what I feel is best for me; not what any of my relatives would like. I don’t think I’d wrestle full time but a relaxed schedule, perhaps some spot bookings here and there I could swing.”

Edie shrugged, making a turn.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “How do you feel about your career so far? Oh, and before I forget to mention it, I seem to recall someone has a birthday coming up, don’t they?”

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “They might have.”

Natalie smiled coyly.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “But to answer your other question, I’m not really sure how I feel about my career so far. At the beginning of August, it will be two years since I competed in my first match, and the number of matches I’ve won in that time - in SCW and elsewhere - does outweigh the number that I’ve lost. Most people measure success in championships though, and I’ve only got one of those to my name - and it was a reign as champion that lasted just eight weeks.”

Natalie sighed, recalling her short-lived reign as the SCW Bombshell Roulette Champion.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “If I had to use a phrase to sum up my career so far, I would probably say, ‘could do better.’”

Edie patted her knee.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Well, that humbleness and modesty is refreshing. I’ve always admired that about you.  But you know, there are plenty of people who’ve wrestled for two years and never won any titles. I guess we can always do better, that is very true. You’ve got nothing to be ashamed of as far as I’m concerned. Don’t ever sell yourself short. I don’t need a crystal ball to know that more titles and victories are in your future, Nat.”

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I hope you’re right, Edie.”

Natalie smiled again at Edie.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “And if I did let what little success I’ve had go to my head, I’m sure I could rely on you to bring me back down to earth quite swiftly.”

Edie smirked and gave her a light-hearted punch to the shoulder.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “I’d do my best…I don’t know, if you were an egomaniac you might be unstoppable. Let’s not find out, shall we? Ah, we’re almost there now.”

They passed a Pembina City Limits sign.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “It looks exactly how I remember it. I mean, it’s been, what - two and a half months since I was last here? It looks like nothing whatsoever has changed in that time. I guess that’s part of why you like living here - part of its appeal.”

Edie nodded.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “I guess it’s one less thing to worry about, there’s comfort in the familiarity. I’m just a small town girl who was a hop and a skip away from being Canadian. Some people leave but most of the families have stayed here their whole lives. Some go off to college. I’ve been all over the world and it draws me back. It’s home. It’s what I know. I’ll have to return the favor and see your hometown one of these days, maybe…if you’ll have me?”

Edie looked at Natalie with a quiet smile.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “If you want to take a trip to Cardiff with me some day, Edie, I would be more than happy to show you around. It...errr…”

Natalie paused. She then smiled back at Edie.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “It would be a lot different to what you’re used to - not just the size of the city, but the culture as well, compared to here in North Dakota.”

They had come to a side road now, and she turned right onto a long driveway lined on either side by barbed wire fence. Cattle grazed in the fields. Edie waved her hand.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Dad still leases the land out to local farmers who need the extra pasture land. He was never really a farmer at heart. When granddad got too old for it, he let the land out for others. Still it’s nice to see some cattle around.”

They pulled up by the house.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “I’m just an old hayseed farmgirl at heart, don’t ya know? And I have left this place a time or too, I’m not worried about others cultures, Nat.”

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Yeah, I know, Edie. I mean, if Japan wasn’t too big of a culture shock for you, then South Wales definitely won’t be. And I know you say that you’re not much of a drinker, but after what I’ve seen, I think you could fit right in on a Friday or Saturday night out in Cardiff.”

Natalie winked at Edie. She then looked around at the surrounding fields and animals.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I think I’ll always be a big city girl at heart. Living somewhere like here would certainly be a change of pace for me.”

Edie opened her door and started to get out.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Oh come on, you’ve got a good strong back for hard farm labor, lady! And don’t remind me about the drinking, remember what happened the last time in Japan.”

Natalie retorted with a rhetorical question, as she exited the car as well.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “How could I forget?”

She then smirked, looking across at Edie.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “If it’s all the same to you, I think I’ll stick to using my back for lifting my opponents."

Edie closed her door and popped the trunk.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Suit yourself, the farmers around here are going to miss out. Your idea is probably more lucrative anyway. And forget I mentioned Japan.”  

Edie met Natalie at the back of the car with a mischievous wink; Natalie grinned at Edie in response.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Too late.”

She then gave Edie a playful dig in the ribs, before retrieving her case.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “So is your brother out at the moment - at that facility you mentioned?”

Edie looked at her watch.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Yes, Billy...my brother.. He should be back in a couple hours actually. You’ll get to meet him finally. He’s in better spirits these days. And seeing you might put a smile on his face. He was something of a playboy…popular with the ladies.”

Edie laughed and shook her head, closing the trunk. She started toward the front door.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Come on in, relax. Get you something to drink?”

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Sure. Have you got any wine?”

Edie threw a mock glare at Natalie, who laughed softly.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I’m kidding. Water will be perfectly fine.”

Natalie then followed Edie towards the house, pulling her case behind her; Edie opened the door and held it for Natalie, waving her in.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “It’s a bit early for wine yet. Maybe later. Water, we have plenty of. And ice…cubed or crushed! Nothing but the best for MY guests…”

Edie followed her in and closed the door.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “You’re in luck. I did a nice clean on the place yesterday, so it’s not its typical run-down state.”

She winked and elbowed Natalie gently.  

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Just set your case over in the corner for now, we can take it upstairs later.”

While Natalie places her case out of the way, as instructed, Edie heads to the kitchen to prepare the ice waters; Natalie calls out to her.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Would you like me to give you a hand?”

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Oh it’s fine, really. Have a seat and get comfortable. Don’t know about you, but I’m about to kick my shoes off for a bit.”

A short time later she returned with the ice waters and handed Natalie one.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “That does remind me though, I got you a couple of things for your birthday. Here we are..”

Edie went over and pulled three packages out from behind a chair in the corner.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “It’s not much, but they say it’s the thought that counts.”

Edie handed the packages to Natalie, who then carefully open the first one, to discover a pair of leggings and a crop top.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Workout gear? You know me so well.”

Natalie smiled at Edie. After putting her new clothes to one side, she then opened her next present: a back massager.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “This will definitely help me relieve some tension following a back session; thanks.”

Natalie placed the back massager beside her items of clothing, and then opened her final present: a pair of vinyl records.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Oh, these are very cool; thanks, Edie.”

Natalie put the records with her presents. She then smiled warmly at Edie.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Thank you so much, Edie. That was really thoughtful of you; you didn’t need to go to so much effort.”

Edie shrugged and fooled with a lock of hair.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “It was nothing, I like to do nice things for people I care about. It’s your birthday after all. Nobody should outgrow presents or the joy of getting them. I was at a bit of loss on what to get at first so I just bought a bunch of stuff to cover all the bases.”

Edie smiled at her.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Plus you got to come all the way to glamorous North Dakota to get them.”

Natalie smiled wryly.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I know you’re being sarcastic, Edie, but while North Dakota might not be as flashy as, say, Nevada or California, it does have a certain charm all of its own.”

Natalie then took a drink from her glass of water.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “There’s something I want to tell you while I’m here, before I have to leave to return to Vegas for this Sunday’s show, and, well, I know I’ve only just gotten here, but now seems like as good a time as any.”

Edie looked at her focused.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Oh, nothing too serious I hope; everything okay?”

Natalie smiled at Edie, trying to put her at ease.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Don’t worry, it’s nothing serious - well, nothing bad at least.”

Still smiling, Natalie shook her head gently.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “Okay, so, as you already know, with SCW back in the States, following the tour of Japan, I’m now calling Vegas home again for the time being. But, I’ve been thinking that perhaps I should move away from Vegas...to, say, North Dakota - you know, so that I can be closer to you.”

Edie listened intently and then her mouth dropped open, a bit shocked. A bit of a smile crept at the corner of her mouth as she relaxed from her momentary stiffened posture.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Wow… I mean, wow. You'd really want to do that? Or at least been thinking about it.  I...well obviously I'd love that, Nat. Any reason to get to see your face more often.”

She leaned forward and touched her knee.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “I guess I never have been great at voicing the thoughts that roll around in my head. But I do miss you….a lot sometimes.”

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “And I miss you as well, Edie - I especially missed seeing you when I was in Japan, however many thousands of miles away. Even Vegas is the better part of two thousand miles away from here.”

Natalie placed her hand on top of Edie’s.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I wouldn’t necessarily have to find a place in Pembina to live, just somewhere in this neck of the woods that would enable us to see one another more regularly. And with there being direct flights from Grand Forks to Las Vegas, I wouldn’t have any difficulty commuting to SCW shows.”

Edie smiled wide, nodding.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “This is such a pleasant surprise, really. I can barely even think right now…I just…”

Edie impulsively leaned in and kissed Natalie on the lips.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “Sorry, I just got too excited.”

Natalie patted Edie’s hand affectionately, as she smiled at her.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “It’s alright, Edie, you don’t need to apologise for that - not any more.”

Edie took her hand and squeezed it, looking down and then back up to meet her eyes.

<FONT COLOR="#0084b4">Edie:</FONT> “For that, I’m grateful. For whatever this might be, and whatever the future might hold…I am glad you are my friend, Natalie. Those are few and far between in my life sometimes. You’re special to me.”

Edie and Natalie gazed into each other’s eyes.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “I’m glad to have you in my life too, Edie.”

Natalie continued to smile fondly at Edie; after a few seconds of quiet, she then spoke once more.

<FONT COLOR="#d21034">Natalie:</FONT> “In the coming days, I’ll have a look for somewhere nearby for me to rent; I’ll try to find somewhere that’s available from the beginning of August - if not sooner - and so then, in a few weeks from now, you can expect to start seeing a lot more of me.”

Edie and Natalie maintained eye contact, staring longingly at one another.