Author Topic: Redemption Seekers  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Eddie Lyons

• View Profile
Redemption Seekers
« on: September 08, 2023, 05:02:52 PM »
Violent Conduct did not turn out well for Eddie Lyons, not only did he fail to capture the Roulette Championship, but he had been knocked out cold by a sledgehammer that he introduced, per the rules of course but it had backfired. He questioned himself about the use of weapons going in and admitted it wasn’t his style and didn’t feel comfortable using them. At Violent Conduct he found himself with no choice, he had to go against his own beliefs and in the end it cost him the match. He still stood his own ground but it wasn’t enough and all that told Eddie was that he wasn’t ready…….yet.

What was important now, was how he bounced back from this and how he handled himself going forward, the loss against Peter Vaughn didn’t need to define him, but he could learn from it so that the next time he finds himself face to face with one of SCW’s champions, he can achieve a better result, standing in his way of redemption is another seeking to rebound after losing a championship match, Helluva Bottom Carter.[/i]

_____
1:30 PM On A Tuesday
The Lyons Den Wrestling Academy
Charlotte, North Carolina
Off-Camera

#Unbelievable, yes, yes, inconceivable
See myself as fairly reasonable
But at times I can be stubborn, so
If I have to, I will rock the boat
I don't tend to take the easy road
That's just not the way I like to roll#

Eddie sat alone, on the apron of one of the rings located around his family school, he sat with his hoodie up, airpods in listening to his own theme song, as he kept to himself thinking about his future in SCW, where his path takes him next and how he’s going to rebound from his first loss in the company. He was so lost in thought, and looking for the motivation form the music he didn’t notice his friend Cleo Phillips approach him with some purpose.

“Ey, I heard you’re over here feeling sorry for yourself”
she said, “Actin’ all gloomy and shit.”

She got no response,  Eddie still had his head down,so she spoke again, louder this time.

“EY EDDIE!” she bellowed, finally getting his attention, his eyes widened as he quickly pulled the airpods out and returned them to their case in his hoodie pocket.

“Hey Cleo.” he said.

“What’s this I hear about you being all mopey about your loss?” Cleo said, she was always one to get straight to the point.

Eddie sighed, and shrugged, “I mean I lost matches when I was in PWE but not like that. I mean…”

“First time you got knocked out?” Cleo interrupted.

“...Something like that.” Eddie said with a solemn tone.

“Look, it happens.” said Cleo, “Back when I was still bangin’ and runnin’ the streets I got myself knocked out more than a few times, bricks, rocks, sometimes just a good kick to the head. Then when you get your senses back you realize the motherfuckers robbed you. But I always came back, and so will you. C’mon you’re better than this. You’re smarter than this.”

“I should have never introduced that sledgehammer…” Eddie said with a sigh.

“So you made a decision, and it backfired.”
Cleo shrugged, “It happens to the best of us. What you can’t lose sight of is the fight.  Stand back up, remind them that you are still here and that this is just the beginning of Eddie Lyons. You can’t give up yet,”

Eddie hopped down off the apron, and stood closer to Cleo.

“I know…It’s just a hard one to shake off. I forgot where I was for a moment there.” said Eddie. “But I never said anything about giving up. I don’t give up, and I will bounce back from this.”

“Hey, I meant no offense.” said Cleo, “You’re  my boy, and I just wanna make sure you’re good. You know me, always lookin’ out for my people.”

“Oh don’t worry, we’re good.” said Eddie, “But you don’t gotta worry about me. I need to do this myself anyway. You know what I mean. You went from felon to champion, and are now on your way to becoming a social worker and college graduate. Nobody did that for you. You did that all yourself.”

‘Yeah Yeah.” said Cleo “But this is your story. Not mine, remember that.”

Eddie nodded, “Yeah I get it. I just want the stories that inspire me to be known. I will continue my story. I don’t know where it’s going to lead me but I’ll continue it the only way I know how, with honor before glory."

“That’s the Eddie I know.” smiled Cleo, “Just stay in the fight man, as long as you keep pushing yourself to get better, you’ll find yourself at the top of the mountain before you know it."

“It will, I know it will” agreed Eddie, “But I’m not taking any shortcuts, I’ll make it to the top when I’ve earned it, it’ll happen when I’m ready. I honestly wasn’t ready for a championship match so soon, but I tried my best, and I can make excuses about not being comfortable with weapons, but the bottom line is Peter Vaughn was the better man at Violent Conduct, and that’s why he’s still champion.”

“You can’t win them all. Just remember, even getting an opportunity this early is telling of how SCW views you. They see your talent, they know how good you are and how much potential you’re showing. Who’d they give you this time?” asked Cleo

“Helluva Bottom Carter” replied Eddie

“He lost a title opportunity too recently didn’t he? Against the champion J2H?” Cleo replied

“Yeah.., he had a lot of success in SCU, one of the former brand in SCW, now he’s trying to make his mark on the SCW roster.” Eddie replied, "And J2H is the former champ now actually."

Well, unfortunately for Mr. Carter, he’s got another with the same mission.” Cleo said, putting a finger on Eddies chest.

“Yeah..he does.” Eddie said, as the two shared a laugh together.

“Anyway, yo, I gotta go. Got class tonight.” said Cleo, “Like I said, just wanted to make sure you were good.”

“Appreciate it Cleo. I really am trying to get better each week.” Eddie replied.

“I know, and so long as you keep that attitude, you’ll be alright.” Cleo replied, “Anyway, see you around yeah?"

“For sure.” Eddie replied, as the two shared a handshake, followed by an friendly embrace, before Cleo left for her class and Eddie went back to trying to find his zen within his music.

_____
3:23 PM On A Tuesday
Off-Camera

Eddie was seated on a bench, nearby some equipment after doing a quick workout, lifting some weights, using the speed bag and some basic exercises, push-ups, crunches and the like. He had been taking a quick breather and noticed his three cousins approaching him as he finished off a water bottle, something told him this encounter wouldn’t be as friendly as the one he had with Cleo earlier in the day.

“Well, if it isn’t the loser of the day.” the female, Victoria said upon approach, as the two males Alex and Vincent smirked.

“C’mon can’t you just leave me alone.” said Eddie with an annoyed tone.

“You know, Vincent or Alex would have won that match.” Victoria replied, “But instead you had to go out there an embarrass the family by getting knocked out.”

Eddie rolled his eyes, he really didn’t want to deal with these three. He knew they were just jealous that he had a contract with a company and they didn’t. It was all they had currently to annoy and mock him.

“Well be that as it may. Neither of them were in that ring that night. I was.” Eddie replied,  “Maybe the should get themselves a contract and try for themselves.”

“Oh we SHOULD have contracts” the darker haired male, Alex snapped, “But Keevee is on his stupid “one contract at a time” fix. “I guess he doesn’t have time for us anymore.”

“All I know is he says he wants to establish The Lyons Den as a dynasty of different talents, similar to Wolfslair.” Eddie replied, “You have all had your chances, and even excelled at them. But he can’t keep dipping into the same pot if he’s trying to establish a brand. It’s not about me, it’s not about the three of you, it’s not even about Cleo. It’s about establishing The Lyons Den as a whole. He wants success for us ALL.

“That’s crap and you know it!.” Alex snapped, as Victoria raised a finger.

“It’s okay Alex.” said Victoria as Alex nodded and stepped back, Eddie noticed the sly grin on her face.

“She got to you too didn’t she?” said Eddie shaking his head, “Probably gave you some spiel about Sanders abandoning you after PWS closed? About Dio abandoning you? Is that why you’re so eager to link back up with Alexandra? Because ANTITHESIS was all you ever knew from day one in PWS, and now that it’s gone, you’re just…nothing.”

Alex scowled but said nothing.

“So now you’re with Victoria?” said Eddie, “Gonna try some trios thing?”

“No.” said Victoria, “If we can convince Keevee to put in the extra work and find us a job, these two are my new tag team. The Pride.”

“Well, good luck to you I guess.” said Eddie, “Did you need something from me? Because I’d like to get back to my workout.”

“We just wanted to remind you, that the offer still stands.”
said Victoria, “You can join us, join your real family. Join a group of winners, proven champions. You need us Eddie, we’re…”

“Stronger Together.” Eddie said shaking his head. “I know…I know. But my answer is still no. I won’t let you turn me into them. Mindless peons who you bend you your own will. I know the mind games you play. Vincent hardly even speaks anymore. You won’t break me. Someone in this family has to be the good one, the honorable one.”

“Honor will always be your downfall.”said Victoria, “Even Cleo isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty. Sometimes you just need to do what you need to do in order to win.”

“Well, with all due respect that isn’t my style.” Eddie replied

“Is it not?” Victoria replied, “You sure looked natural with those weapons at Violent Conduct.”

“I was playing by the rules of the match.” Eddie explained.

“But you liked it didn’t you?” said Victoria, “Admit it. You liked bashing Peters head with that trashcan. You wish you had cracked his skull with that sledgehammer don’t you?”

“I was just trying to win the match.” said Eddie.

“Exactly, and you did whatever you needed to do to try and secure that victory.” Victoria said, that never wavering smirk still on her face.

“I played by the rules.” said Eddie.

“Of course you did.” Victoria smiled arrogantly, “But it still felt good.”

“I’m not like you okay?” said Eddie, “I’m going to do this MY way and I’m sorry if that’s too hard for you to comprehend, so wicked queen or whatever you’re calling yourself these days, how about you take tweedle dee, and tweedle dum here and go try to get yourselves the one thing I have, and you don’t.”

Victoria raised an eyebrow.

“A job.” said Eddie, before pushing past the three, Alex made a move to strike but backed down after a signal from Victoria to just let him go. They wouldn’t get through to him, he was set on his path of honor and nothing was going to change that. Hopefully Keevee Kaiser could find the time and a company for those three, but at the moment that didn’t seem likely. They would have to get used to being supporting characters, if antagonistic ones in the continuing story of Eddie Lyons.

_____
4:00 PM On A Tuesday
On-Camera

He had to get out of there, this jealous act of his cousins was getting old and he just didn’t want to deal with them, he had more important things to worry about, like his upcoming match with Helluva Bottom Carter who was sure to be looking for the same redemption as Eddie was. Eddie had gathered some of the camera crew from The Lyons Den as he readied his promo to be packaged and sent off to SCW management.

He was outside the school, leaned up against one of the walls in his usual jeans, hoodie and t-shirt combination as the scene opened, after a few moments of silence, he began speaking.

“You know, I actually have a lot of respect for you HBC.” he began. “I could just go off and belittle you for your sexuality, and take you like some sort of joke. But that’s not the type of person I am, and I’m sure you’ve heard it all before. I see you as someone who’s broken down barriers and fought through adversity to get where you’re at today and I think that’s great. You can consider Eddie Lyons an ally, you can pee next to me and all that.”

He gives the camera a firm nod, and pounds his chest once to affirm his comments.

“But, once that bell rings I’m going to treat you like any other opponent.” Eddie continued, “I’m going to fight, and keep fighting till one of us has our hand raised in victory. I understand you being the favorite here, with all your success in SCU. I wasn’t around when SCU was still a thing but my understanding is you made a name for yourself and won multiple championships there, and are now trying your luck in SCW.”

Eddie pauses again, taking in a breath and rubbing his hands together as he continued.

“Wouldn’t you know it Carter?” Eddie continued, “We’re both in the same boat, we want, no we NEED the same thing. You were mere seconds from becoming the World Champion, but J2H proved to be a step ahead of you that night. I stayed in the fight as long as I could with Vaughn but in the end, his experience got me on the wrong end of a sledgehammer. I’m still seeing some stars from that one. But I’m back on my feet now, as are you and we seek the same thing…redemption.”

He starts to get his more serious look on, as he rolls on addressing HBC and their upcoming match.

“I’ll tell you this HBC, your mind games won’t work on me.” Eddie continued, “As I said, I respect the fight you have to go through every single day of your life. It’s a fight I can’t even imagine, but I also know how strong it makes you. You’re a real fighter and tougher than anybody who would disparage you for being yourself.  So I know this won’t be easy. Hopefully you have the same respect for me and we can go out there and just have one..helluva match, if you will.”

Eddie smiled to himself, Cleo told him once he needed to lighten up some, and not be afraid to be a little goofy or make some jokes. That was sort of a joke, right?

“We both had championships within our grasps recently” Eddie continued, “We both want to get there again. However there is one difference, one that makes me just a little bit hungrier. See you have been a champion, multiple times in SCU. But me? I haven’t yet felt that rush you get from winning a championship, and let me tell you I want it and I want it bad. I know it’s not appropriate to push yourself into a championship path when you’ve only been with the company for around two months. Be that as it may, I never asked for that chance, but it was given to me and I did the best I could with it.”

Eddie takes a moment to re-posture against the wall as he continues

“Now, I want to get there again, be it the World, Internet or Roulette, I want to get there again.” Eddie went on, “Maybe I’ll find myself a partner and go after one of the tag team championships. Whatever it is, I want to get there again and I will. I know SCW sees something in me, that’s why  I was given a chance against Vauhgn so early. Now they want to test me against one of SCU’s best, and the man who ALMOST became World Heavyweight Champion.”

Eddies eyes stay sternly on the camera, he wants his words to sink in, and he wants to be sure that Helluva Bottom Carter knows that he’s no pushover.

“We’re both seeking redemption from our recent failure to become a champion.” said Eddie, “But only one of us will climb that next run, the other will have to try again later. But for me, it’s also about proving myself against you. I don’t know about the biggest name, but Helluva Bottom Carter is a known name around here, you are someone to beat in this company, and that is exactly what I am going to do. What better way to rebound from my own loss, than by beating one of the very best to come out of SCU? I may be the new guy around here but I’m rising fast and I’m doing it the right way. The rise of Eddie Lyons will continue, and it will always be Honor before Glory.”

Eddie nods slightly to the camera, keeping his gaze on it, as it slowly fades to black.

_____
Unknown Time
Unknown Location
Off-Camera
_________

He was alone with his thoughts, when the visage appeared before him. It bore his image, but the eyes were red and there was a dark aura about it. He had been wondering if his cousins were right, maybe he wasn’t ready for this yet. Maybe he needed more training. Of course Cleo felt he was ready, perhaps she was right. He just wanted to do his best, and now he felt like he might be going crazy as the visage spoke to him.

“Hello Eddie.” the visage spoke with a slithering tone.

“What is this?” Eddie said.. “Who the hell are you?”

The visage chuckled to itself.

“Why I’m you.” it said with a smile, “The you that you ignore, the one that you keep in the darkness. I am the dark side of Eddie Lyons manifested.”

“I don’t have a dark side.” Eddie insisted

“Oh, but you do” the visage spoke back, “Everyone does. You just need to learn to tap into yours. You want to be a champion then you should listen to me. Give into your dark desires, cast aside your worthless honor and embrace what you can really be.”

Eddie shook his head

“NO!” I won’t!” he insisted. “That’s not who I am!”

“But it can be!” the visage replied back, “You wanted to use that sledgehammer. You wanted to bash Peter Vaughns brains in. You wanted to take Vaughn out by any means necessary. You wanted to HURT him.”

“No, it’s not true.” Eddie replied, “I was only trying to win by rules of the match.”

“Of course you were.” he visage replied back, “Had you hit him with the sledgehammer, ou;d probably be a champion. But you need more guidance. You need to listen to me, your real inner most desires. I can lead you to championship gold. All you need to do is cast the honor aside, and learn to get your hands dirty.”

“Why should I listen to you?” Eddie questioned.

“Because I am you Eddie.” the visage replied, “I am only comprised  of your own thoughts. You just need to learn to listen to the proper side of yourself. Look where it got Peter Vaughn. He was a lowly Janitor, and now he’s a champion because he chose to listen to the better side of himself.”

“I’m not Peter Vauhgn.” Eddie replied.

“And your also not a champion. He is. “ The visage continued, “You know I’m right, c’mon Eddie. Let me help you, together we can accomplish whatever we want. Accept me as your true self.”

Eddie looked back at the visage, and thought about what he was being told. Maybe playing dirty would be for the better, it worked out for his cousins. It would probably work out for him. But Cleo, she found her success when she put her dark past behind her. Eddie had to think about who he was, what he wanted to be and the legacy he wanted to leave. He looked back into the mirror once more and with a headshake he spoke.

“No.” he said. “You’re not me.”

He blinked a few times and now his reflection was his own, his normal self. He sighed and splashed some water on his face.

“You’re losing it Eddie, better get it together.” he said to himself.