Author Topic: Soul searching  (Read 490 times)

Offline Son of Salem

• View Profile
    • Kedron Williams
Soul searching
« on: September 06, 2019, 06:34:55 PM »

Sun Princess Cruise -
Sunday August 25

Summer XXXTreme VII had come and gone, and for some, there were reasons to celebrate. For others, they would sit back and reflect on what they had done wrong, and what could have been done differently in order to achieve victory. There were feelings of regret for the latter, tension and anger welling inside. For one, however, there was confusion.

Kedron Williams sat in the far corner of the top deck, where a beer and wine festival was now taking place as part of this cruise's grand finale, coupled with the ceremonies of both SCW's post-Supercard celebrations, as well as the wedding reception for the brand new World Heavyweight Champion, Senor Vinnie, and his blushing bride, Lora  West. Kedron's bride, Rinoa, was elsewhere on the ship, casually observing those around her as was her delight, but not such for Kedron. Under most circumstances he would have gladly accompanied his loving wife on her excursion, but this time he had told her he wanted time alone, to sit and think and immerse himself in his thoughts.

Rinoa knew better; she knew he was feeling the weight of his heart and the failure to defeat Ben Jordan as he had been "ordered" to do, and he was unable to fathom what had happened.

So while Kedron sat in the darkness, all went about their merry way; drinking and dancing, laughing and socializing. And while it seemed that his eyes fell upon them as a casual observer, the simple fact of the matter was that he simply was not there.

"She betrayed you."

The whispers fell to his ears, and his eyes closed as he tried without much success to shield himself from the invasion of his mind.

Kedron Williams: No.

"She was working with him, the entire time."

He shook his head, eyes shut tightly and teeth ground together.

Kedron Williams: NO!

He blurted out forcefully, causing heads to turn that were close by. He slowly opened his eyes, beads of perspiration glistening on his forehead and at the base of his neck. Unusual in the fact that despite the temperatures now being in the lower eighties, the wind over the night was cool to the skin. But then again, the sweat on his flesh had nothing to do with temperatures and more to do with inner turmoil. But then as his own eyes focused, they fell upon a glass of wine that was being held in front of his face.

Ben Jordan: Look, if you don't want it, just say so but I ain't about to stand around here all night holding this girly drink.

Kedron started, surprised at the sound of the voice right at his side. He turned quickly and was unable to believe that none other than Ben Jordan was standing to his immediate right, offering out a glass of red wine to him while he held a draft of beer, conceivably for himself, in his free hand. Kedron's eyebrows almost rose to his hairline given his surprise, and that was a difficult thing enough to accomplish; for anyone to catch him unaware.

Kedron Williams: Here to taunt me over the loss?

Ben Jordan: I'd like to think that I'm better than that, but since you brought it up; neener neener.

Ben jostled the glass he was offering up to his rival/enemy, pick a noun. Any noun! Kedron looked first at the offering, and then at Ben himself.

Kedron Williams: You can not seriously expect me to drink anything you offer? Especially after everything I had done to you?

But Ben did not allow that not-too-subtle accusation affect him. It more or less bounced off of him as he casually set the wine glass down in front of Kedron anyway before he maneuvered around the edge of the table and had a seat  opposite the 'Son of Salem.' Kedron's eyes never once leaving Ben's movements.

Ben Jordan: if you knew me half as well as you claim, you'd know that I don't bother going in for bullshit like what you're insinuating. And besides, why would I need to?

Ben sat back, the epitome of relaxation despite being seated opposite a man that seemed like he was no ordinary 'man,' but someone who had otherworldly means to do him and his loved ones great harm. A man that had burned him and bloodied him, but still here Ben was, seated across from him at Rinoa's behest. And why? Because despite all evidence to the contrary lo these past several months, Ben was just as Rinoa stated; he was Ben Jordan.

And Ben Jordan helped people.

Ben Jordan: I've already won.

Ben took a drink from his mug, and took no notice of the sudden demeanor change on Kedron's part, the one where he switched from a suspicious facial expression to one of above average annoyance. He tilted his head to the side.

Kedron Williams: Have you?

Ben set his mug down and looked rather nonchalant at the man who had made his very existence a living hell over these past few months.

Ben Jordan: Check the record, two wins to one. I just beat you for the second time, not more than three hours ago.

Kedron Williams: And you think that finishes this between us, why exactly?

Ben Jordan: Because there is no us witch boy!

Ben shook his head and sat back, making the attempt to get comfortable despite the itch he had in the back of his mind that he should be careful, despite the confidence that, of all people, Rinoa Williams was, in fact, watching his back.

Ben Jordan: ... Not any more! This has gone on long enough. I mean, admit it. Aren't you tired of this? It's going nowhere .. nowhere positive for you, that is. You have been so bloody caught up in this bullshit vendetta with me or my bloodline as you put it, but that's where it ends. That's where I've got you.

Kedron Williams: Oh do go on, Benjamin. I'm almost beginning to find this enthralling.

Ben shook his head.

Ben Jordan: You've made these snide little comments about wanting to end my bloodline, or whatever. But if that were true, you skipped about two generations ahead to come after me directly. Makes no sense.

Ben watched carefully as Kedron said nothing to these accusations, and Ben knew using his wife's own word against the man was playing dirty -- but fuck it. After everything Kedron had done to him and his family ever since this entire episode straight out of 'Supernatural' first started, he was willing to land a shot or two below the belt. It was the very least that he deserved. Ben leaned forward.

Ben Jordan: Just admit it. You're as tired of this as I am. You could be something in this business...

Kedron Williams: What makes you think I even want to be???

Ben Jordan: Because you could have done anything to target me, if everything you've told me about yourself is true. You could have attacked me from a more personal point. My bank account. My home... but you came after me here, in the sport I make a living at.

Ben shrugged.

Ben Jordan: Much as it pains me to admit, you haven't done too badly for yourself outside of our little thing.

Kedron scoffed but Ben was persistent.

Ben Jordan: You beat Jake Raab, and you pinned Teddy Warren, a guy who just won gold tonight...

Kedron shook his own head in disbelief.

Kedron Williams: Unbelievable...

To which Ben lifted his mug in a quiet salute, agreeing with his sentiment on Teddy becoming the new Roulette Champion this very day. Hey, even enemies can agree when it comes to an even more annoying person in their  midst.

Ben Jordan: So just admit it, Kedron. You're tired of this...

Kedron Williams: We're done here...

And Kedron stood up, ready to end this evening and especially the discomfort of Ben's words. Because the worst part of all of this was ... he was right! Ben was exactly right. Kedron was tired, in far more ways than just one. Tired of fighting a fight that seemed to have no end in sight, at least -- one that did not end in yet another loss for himself. Tired of the mental strain, as well as the physical. But most of all, with his Master, with his rival across from him, and most of all, with Rinoa... he was tired of being pulled in more than one direction, all at the same time.

Kedron started to walk away but he was swiftly caught at the wrist by Ben and there was no mistaking Ben was the stronger of the two from a physical standpoint. Ben slowly, and without cause for doubt, steered Kedron back the way he had come and forcibly sat him back down into the chair he had just vacated. Kedron stared at him in total surprise and Ben could only smile, despite himself.

Ben Jordan: Something you said a few weeks ago really got me to thinking, and Evie did a bang up job in researching some things for me. A witch ... moving waters on the ocean ... iron on a ship... you're not so powerful now, are you? Without the ability to throw a fireball in my face, I think I can take you and do so without breaking a sweat. So...

Ben slid the wine glass a few inches closer toward Kedron, then sat back in his own chair.

Ben Jordan: So have a drink, and talk to me.

And despite all to the contrary, Kedron found his pale and slender fingers wrapping around the stem of the wine glass as he picked it up.

Kedron Williams: Why is this so important to you?

Ben Jordan: Because this bullshit has not given either of us a moment's peace since it all started!

Kedron's eyes drifted away as the rim of the glass met his lips and he took a taste of the wine. Beer was vile, to his own opinion, and he admitted a slight surprise that Ben had chosen such a vintage for him to drink. After tasting and remaining satisfied that there was no taint, he held the glass out before him and stared hard at the contents.

Kedron Williams: You're not entirely wrong. And here I thought I would have been allowed to end this years ago. I did what I had wanted. I got the revenge I sought.

Ben Jordan: What are you talking about? You never had me...

Kedron Williams: Not you, Ben. The world does not revolve around Ben. Jordan! This started a very long time ago, and as I told you once, it started with someone of your ancestry.

Kedron slid a forefinger across the glass in his hand and his eyes rose to ben's in an enquiring gaze.

Kedron Williams: Did you ever do as I suggested? Look up the name Noah Jordan?

Ben nodded.

Ben Jordan: I did. It's like you told everyone; he's my ancestor... and he was active during the Salem Witch Hunts.

Kedron Williams: And you had a memory, did you not? Of one of his last acts as a famed "witch hunter?" You saw the young woman, being burned alive in front of the masses who demanded blood, and he gave it to them.

Ben lifted his mug as he drew in a deep breath.

Ben Jordan: She was the bloodline of yours? The ancestor you mentioned.

Kedron Williams: She was of my bloodline, yes, but not my ancestor. The woman you saw burned alive was Abigail Williams. My mother.

Ben had his lips at the glass, but he halted. Froze, all but forgot to take a drink of the beer and set it back down. Slowly. If he could have heard anything this eve that would have shocked or surprised him, never would he have imagined this would have been claimed.

Ben Jordan: Your mother? You're actually claiming that Abigail Williams is....

Kedron Williams: Not claiming, Ben. I am stating a simple fact. I would be only too glad to take a DNA test, if any knew where my mother's remains were buried. Another little secret that was buried along with Noah Jordan.

Ben Jordan: But that would mean....

Ben tried to think of how to wrap his head around the claim uttered by this man. Over the past several weeks, he had been witness to many instances that gave evidence to the truth and existence of witchcraft, but this was going beyond any simple claims to being related to someone who lived almost four hundred years ago. And Kedron? Ben saw something behind his eyes that he never thought he'd see; emotion. This "Son of Salem" had been nothing shy of cruel since their feud had first been ignited. He seemingly cared nothing for the suffering of any save for perhaps his wife. And when it came to displaying emotion, he gave very little evidence that he was capable of doing so. But right here, and now, Kedron's eyes misted over, and Ben could tell the man was fighting the sudden and un expected wash of emotion. Emotion such as this only came when the truth was that painful to be unbearable.

Kedron Williams: So perhaps now you might understand why I went to such lengths to punish Noah Jordan as was my right? Tell me, that you would not have done the same... gone to the exact same lengths had someone done harm to your mother!

Ben had no words. He couldn't exactly deny it. How could any man outright deny that they would want to hurt the person who hurt their mother? And what Kedron had experienced? If what he said was true, and not some grand delusion, his mother had been killed, and by his own ancestor. All Ben could do -- was nod. But then something he had said rang bells, and Ben found his words at last.

Ben Jordan: What lengths did you go to, if I can ask?

Kedron Williams: Why not?

By now, Kedron had lost the battle somewhat to restrain his emotions, as the first tear escaped and ran down his cheek. But he smiled. And to Ben, that was the most unnerving thing out of all of this.

Kedron Williams: It's not as if I haven't over shared already. What is one more sin to admit to? In answer to one of your past accusations, why did I not take action then and there during her burning? I was scared. There, I admit it! I was a child, and no matter what or who I was, I was just plain frightened! Plus, even had I tried, my mother's 'sisters' would have stopped me before I could have even started.

Ben Jordan: Her sisters?

Kedron Williams: In that memory, you saw the women who surrounded me, as if in a protective circle? Not truly sisters through blood, but my mother's coven. Or should I say, her former coven. When her actions grew too fanatical, she was condemned. Ousted. Still, it did not keep them from paying their respects, nor taking her only child into their protection. To raise as their own child, to be what they hoped would be good, and true. Honorable.

He could only scoff at his own failings and shake his head.

Kedron Williams: How I failed them in more ways than one! It made what I had to do all the more painful.

Ben Jordan: What do you mean? What exactly did you do?

Kedron Williams: I bargained for power. And you should be aware that no such bargain goes without payment. Evil demanded a sacrifice. And god help me...

He closed his eyes and the pain was entirely too real for Ben to be able to ignore. Kedron's voice broke as he confessed his greatest sin.

Kedron Williams: I gave it to Him!

His greatest regret.

Ben Jordan: Shit...

Ben's words were just a whisper, but the meaning was no less. He turned his head and curled his fingers against his chin, stealing glances at Kedron from out of the corner of his eye. But the man had not moved, his head remained downcast. His slim body, which had been rigid, now shook, as if he were losing the battle with his emotions and this last confession had been simply too much for him to withstand. He had seen the women in that memory. Women young enough to be his sisters, and old enough to be his grandmothers. And if he really did what he had just implied.... how was it possible to feel a swell of pity for someone whose past actions were so ... sinister? And all in the name of blind revenge.

But was that the key? Had Kedron been blinded by an act of revenge?

Ben Jordan: That feeling you have, right now? That's remorse. A wish that you could have done different. We all have regrets. But you can't change the past. Nobody can. All you can do is move forward. You have a second chance, don't waste it!

Kedron finally looked up and indeed his face was a mask of pain.

Kedron Williams: What makes you think He'll let me?

Ben Jordan: Fuck what he will or won't 'let' you do! What is stopping you from doing it anyway?

Kedron Williams: He has something of mine...

Ben Jordan: Every contract has an escape clause, Kedron. Every. Single. One. All you need to do, is find it, exploit it, and do what I suspect no one has ever done before.

The two men, the two rivals, simply stared at each other. Ben then tore his gaze from Kedron and looked to the bartender and held up two fingers. He turned back to Kedron who simply nodded.

“This may come as a great shock to you, but I have never cleaned be much of a virtuous person. In all my life, I have done a great many things. Terrible things, things that I look back on now and regret deeply. But I did them for a reason, and those reasons alone are why I am standing here, conflicted. For the longest of time, I have went through my life with conviction. I never questioned my purpose nor vide ahead on the path my feet walked. I knew who I was, I knew what I was, and I had no doubts as to what I would accomplish in my life. But now thanks to a certain Cockney King, who has put the first doubts in my mind and what would have to be... Forever! Now, I am conflicted.”

The darkness that engulfed the room was swiftly swept aside, as candles by the scores ignited as one, and there in the flickering shadows that danced on the surrounding surfaces, sat Kedron Williams in a Victorian carved chair in his personal study at his Salem residence.

“Not about Teddy Williams, I can assure you. At least, not entirely. Oh don't get me wrong!”

His fingers curled with his elbow rested on the armrest of his and his eyebrows knitted into a frown of consternation.

“Teddy Warren confounds me as a whole. I grew up in a time where men were men. They worked to support their families and to do what is right, and not prance around like a woman wearing makeup. And all in a sad and feeble attempt to draw further attention to himself. The sad thing is, he has been quite effective in that regards. Though I'm certain he is not gotten all the attention that he believes is his due. And certainly not the type of attention he had anticipated. He perhaps expected awe and reverence, and above all else, respect and adulation. And what does he get instead?”

A sarcastic grin curls the corners of Kedron’s lips.

“Insults to his manhood and mockery toward his actions. Not exactly the level of respect he has been demanding ever since he signed his name to a contract, now is it? Of course he would dispute this and say everything he has now is going according to his plans. After all, he is the SCW Roulette Champion, is he not? A championship with much prestige behind it, and he came from out of nowhere to claim this prestigious title for his own at the expense of men such as Griffin Hawkins and Caleb Storms, among others. Not truly a terrible accomplishment, but some might suggest that his actions in that match were, oh I don’t know…”

He shrugged before he continued.

“Cowardly? He waited like a common Predator at the bottom of the food chain until his prey, in this case Griffin Hawkins himself, was too tired and hurt to put up much more of a struggle. Teddy Warren struck when the moment was right and now he is the champion. Sad fact such as it is. In the truth is, I cannot entirely fault him for winning the way he did. A simple goal in any wrestling contest, particularly a championship match, the goal is indeed to win. And while he did so smartly, you cannot exactly say he did so bravely. And ever since the title was cleaned as his own, he has made it no secret that he has no intentions or desire to place that title on the line. Especially against the former Champion or the new number one contender! ‘On to better things.’ I believe were his exact words.”

Kedron shook his head, unable to fathom the mindset of the new champion or what was behind his actions other than avoidance.

“I I think that it is perfectly clear the only better things that Teddy has in mind is to avoid any and every opponent that he believes is a threat to his championship title. It's supposed then that I should feel insulted that when his first defense was announced, I was named as his Challenger. It makes me feel as if the high and mighty Champion does not believe that I am a threat. Perhaps he thinks already that a victory against me is a mere formality.”

To this, Kedron smiles and a piece of his ‘old self’ shines through in his toothy grin, albeit only for a brief amount of time.

“Not to dredge up old wounds, but why don’t you go to Ben Jordan and ask him what sort of threat I am? Perhaps you could also make contact with Jake Raab, who thought he could do Ben proud by challenging me to a match and have an easy victory for himself, all rolled into one grandiose gesture. Or maybe, just maybe, you should turn back the clock Teddy. Turn it back to May 31st, Primm, Nevada. You and that rather psychotic Fatal Attraction wife of yours, actually lost a match to none other than Anthrax and Twisted Sister!”

He closed his eyes and a chuckle escaped him.

“Has that ever even happened before? Teddy Warren walks in, chest out and dick up, all full of himself and self assured that he would win, and he, not Kate -- HE -- gets pinned by a clown that would make Stephen King’s It look like Ronald McDonald! Yet Teddy looks past me? I, a man who hold wins over such men as Jake Raab and Ben Jordan! Granted, my win column is not as full as I might prefer, but the wins that I do have?”

He closed his eyes and puckered his lips.

“They are so very meaningful! And they are evidence enough Teddy, as to why not only am I going to be a threat to your championship, but also reason enough that you will be remembered as little more than a one hit wonder!”
>

I believe Satan to exist for two reasons:

1- The Bible says so.
2- I've done business with Him.