Author Topic: Life Or Something Like It  (Read 478 times)

Offline Seleana Zdunich

• Match Writers
    • View Profile
    • Seleana Zdunich
Life Or Something Like It
« on: April 12, 2019, 11:08:57 PM »
 Off-Camera

Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Laguna Beach, California
Hospital
9:01 AM PDT

Hospitals were never a fun place to be, even when the occasion was one that should be as joyous as bringing forth a new life into the world. No matter how hard the people who worked there tried to keep the mood light, no matter what they tried to do in terms of decoration, they always came off as cold and antiseptic. Seleana Zdunich had found herself here as part of a small group as the friends of hers that she had been living with during the fall out from her wife, fellow SCW wrestler Christina Zdunich, reverting to her Crystal Hilton persona and attacking her for a chance to become SCW Bombshell World Champion once again several months ago. Now, it had been almost exactly a month since that opportunity had taken place, March 10, at Blaze of Glory VII just up the road in Anaheim. The week before that, it had been Seleana who had managed to pin the champion and gain the standing Christina had sought so urgently.

That standing had lasted as week for Seleana as at Blaze of Glory VII, Alicia Lukas had taken the championship back in a fatal fourway match-up that saw Alicia pin Dani Weston while Seleana and Christina fought amongst themselves outside the ring. Christina had factored both in Seleana’s victory and in her loss, something that Alicia Lukas was loathe to allow anyone to forget and so, Seleana had found herself other places to, “go home to.” First it had been her office at the Zdunich Zoological Gardens, a place that, ironically enough, Seleana only ahd because her wife had bought it for her as a Christmas gift.

The second place she had spent a night at had been the home of her friend, Shay Kenyon, a woman that was now also waiting on word form the day’s events here at the hospital as she would need to be involved in watching the elder child of the new mother-to-be.

The third and final place was the home here in Laguna Beach of the woman that was to be induced into labor today, fellow wrestler and near sister-in-law, “The Geekette Extraordinaire Cali-Kate” Kate Bass. Kate was the widow of the late Destiny Cornett and Seleana had been dating Destiny’s brother, Twain Cornett, at the time of his untimely death. The two had become acquainted during family events and then become closer after Destiny and twin’s deaths, both having died within a few days of each other.

The fact that Kate was currently dating Seleana’s former sister-in-law, fellow wrestler Eavan Maloney, also helped the landing process. Eavan had been married to Seleana’s youngest sister, guitar virtuoso Katra Zdunich, until a descent into drugs had caused a rift and a divorce. Eavan had been amazed that no matter how far into the abyss she had sunk, the Zdunich Sisters had remained at her side, still referring to her as family even after she had walked out on Katra and it had been Eavan who had suggested Seleana start spending her nights at the house in Laguna Beach.      

This was how she found herself sitting here in the hospital watching over a twenty-two-month-old Trinity Cornett. As she watches the little one playing with her toys, Seleana’s attention is drawn by a very upset-looking Eavan walking in the other direction. Seleana frowns and then turns back to her phone. She was waiting for one of two calls to come in so she could get to training this week for her trip to Cardiff, Wales for her Climax Control match with Apple Coren and considering how the last match between the two had gone, this was training that was definitely going to be necessary for Seleana.

She glances down to Trinity and smiles at the little one drawing seemingly randomly on her papers, almost as id the toddler were mapping out some grand scheme of things for her toys to be taking part in.

Seleana Zdunich: Toy Story live!

Shaking her head, she laughs as Trinity continues on in her own little world. As Seleana starts to nod, her phone rings. She glances down, hoping this will be one of the calls she’s been waiting and smiles at the name that shows up.

“Dr. Kelley.”

Seleana Zdunich: Heya, how’s it?

A female voice answers.

Voice: Hello, is this Seleana Zdunich?

Seleana nods affirmatively..

Seleana Zdunich: Ja, your office tried to call me before and I return call.

The voice brightens noticeably.

Voice: Dr. Kelley would like to request you come in for a session with him to gauge whether a joint session with your wife is warranted at this time.

Seleana nods slowly. Was this a good idea? Was that something that might help them as a married couple?

Seleana Zdunich: Did you have a date in mind?

Voice: I know it’s short notice, but could you by any chance be available tomorrow?

Seleana glances down at Trinity and takes a pause at this thought. She cocks her head and then smiles at the little one.

Seleana Zdunich: Ja, I should be able to make it fine tomorrow.

Voice: Great, how is ten o’clock in the morning?

Again, Seleana nods to herself.

Seleana Zdunich: Ja, ten is fine.

Voice: Great, we’ll see you then.

The call ends and Seleana sighs heavily.

Seleana Zdunich: För fan i helvete!  

She looks and sees Trinity looking up at her, the tiny eyes visibly confused. Seleana leans down and picks the little girl up, placing Trinity onto her own lap.

Seleana Zdunich: Somehow, you know, don’t you?

Trinity continues to just stare at Seleana before raising her little arms up. Seleana nods and hugs Trinity.

Seleana Zdunich: Tack, liten en.

She hugs Trinity, closing her eyes while the toddler hugs her back.

Seleana Zdunich: You see and know way more than anyone gives you credit for, Chickie. I hope you never lose that.          

Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Los Angeles,, California
Dr. Kelley’s Office
9:51 AM PDT

Seleana sits in her jet black 2019 Maserati Quattroporte and stares at the clock. She was supposed to be inside the building in nine minutes and knowing doctors, it would have been better had she already gone inside. There was likely to be paperwork even if this was just a preliminary session to see if a joint one was doable.

Seleana Zdunich: Kom igen, Seleana. Du vet att du borde göra det här. Christina gör ett försök. Du vet hur mycket ChristianU kommer att skratta om du är den som vägrar att göra en ansträngning i gengäld.

She nods to herself and turns off the car’s engine.

Seleana Zdunich: Seleana, din jävla idiot! Gå in i denna byggnad just nu!

After sitting there for a few more minutes, she opens the car door and walks to the door of the building, stepping inside and nodding to the receptionist.

Seleana Zdunich: Heya, my name is Seleana Zdunich.

The receptionist smiles and nods.

Receptionist: Yes!!! Hello, we’ve been expecting you.

She quickly presses a button in front of her.

Receptionist: She’s here…

An inaudible response comes back and the receptionist nods.

Receptionist: Ok!

The releases the button and looks up to Seleana.

Receptionist: Please, go right in, the doctor will see you now.    

Seleana nods and walks to the far door, gripping the knob and turning it. She walks in and sits down on the couch. The doctor is already waiting in the chair opposite the couch.

Dr. Kelley: Thank you for coming on such short notice. Was it much of an inconvenience?

Seleana shrugs. The doctor was smiling broadly for her and she knew efforts were being made all around her.  

Seleana Zdunich: I was just in Laguna Beach. Someone close to me was induced yesterday.

The doctor nods slightly.

Dr. Kelley: Did that go smoothly?

Seleana cannot help but nod in return.

Seleana Zdunich: Ja, the little one was born with no problem, no complications.

The doctor nods, checking his notes and making a few more.

Dr. Kelley: Are you cheating on your wife?

Seleana’s eyes go wide in shock.

Seleana Zdunich: Vad???

The doctor nods again.

Dr. Kelley: Is that a negative response then?

Seleana’s eyes narrow slightly as she studies the doctor.

Seleana Zdunich: Ja. Kate and Eavan are sisters to me. They have made no effort to become more and neither have I.

The doctor nods.

Dr. Kelley: Are they married?

Seleana continues to stare at the doctor.

Seleana Zdunich: Not anymore.

The doctor nods, looking up as if studying an answer more than anything else.

Dr. Kelley: So they were married?

Seleana nods slightly.

Seleana Zdunich: Ja.

Dr. Kelley: But not to each other.

Seleana Zdunich: No.

The doctor nods and makes a few more notations.

Dr. Kelley: Do you hate your wife?

Seleana sits on the couch, her eyes going wide in shock for the second time in two minutes.

Seleana Zdunich: Nej…

The doctor nods.

Dr. Kelley: How long has it been since you went home to her.

Seleana Zdunich: Since she attack me, 27th January.

The doctor nods.

Dr. Kelley: How do you remember that so exactly?

No hesitation for the second answer in a row.  

Seleana Zdunich: I went to New York for my sister’s birthday after. Her birthday is 29th January, two days after. I stayed at her apartment rest of week.

The doctor nods, looking duly impressed.

Dr. Kelley: What has stopped you from going home?

Seleana sighs heavily at this question.

Seleana Zdunich: At first, I was hurt, heartbroken. Then I became angry, especially when she tried to act like it was nothing to be angry at. Now, Kate and Eavan have needed my help, but I also needed Christina to show me she was willing to try and change. That I was not just going to come home to more of the same and have told her that she could do whatever and there would be no consequences.

Dr. Kelley: How often have you spoken to her?

Seleana Zdunich: In person? Usually just at the shows. Outside of the shows?  Once.

The doctor nods.

Dr. Kelley: Why only once?

Seleana shrugs in annoyance.

Seleana Zdunich: Because she thinks she can act her way out of anything. That she can just talk her way out of a problem, that something like attacking me and leaving me lying bloody on the floor of the arena in front of the world will just be over because she wants it to be in a day. It does not work that way and she should know this! How many times has she violated someone else’s trust? How often had she had her trust violated? I know she’s had it happen to her before but…

She shakes her head, looking ready to come unglued.

Seleana Zdunich: Skit också! You cannot repair trust broken with wish and desire! It takes time and she needs to give me that time.  

The doctor nods.

Dr. Kelley: Ok, I think I have all I need. We’ll be in contact with you when the time comes to schedule the joint session. Thank you for coming, Mrs. Zdunich.

The doctor extends his hand and Seleana tentatively accepts it.

Seleana Zdunich: I am sorry I raised my voice.

Doctor Kelley smiles warmly.

Dr. Kelley: It’s to be expected in situations like this. I assure you, I took no offense.        

Seleana nods gratefully and takes her leave, walking out to her car and quickly getting inside. She straps herself in, locks the doors and then slumps against the seat.

Seleana Zdunich: För fan i helvete!  

She cranks up the car and drive on back to Laguna Beach, hoping for better thoughts than the ones she had just encountered in the office.

Friday, April 12, 2019
Laguna Beach, California
Home of Kate Bass
11:54 AM PDT

Seleana paces the floor of the house, sneaking glances at her phone every few seconds. The last forty-eight hours had seen upheaval in the house as Eavan and Kate had broken up Wednesday night and Eavan had moved out within twenty-four hours, her personal items being moved into storage while she traveled up to Sacramento for Hybrid Wrestling, ironically enough, it was a booking that Seleana and Christina were also supposed to be present for as it was Christina’s inaugural booking for the Unleashed Brand and Seleana was scheduled to be her ringside manager.

It was supposed to be another step towards reconciliation but now another booking had changed that. Christina had flown to Charlotte, North Carolina for a show with a promotion called Queen City Wrestling while Seleana remained behind in Laguna Beach in order to train for her own match at Climax Control in Cardiff, Wales. It was supposed to be another night for Christina to keep her skills sharp and show the world she was not washed up as many had claimed.

As she paces, Seleana glances back at her phone and sees the now several hours old message from her step-daughter, Brittany Williams.

“Moms in hospital AMC beat her up really bad.”

It had taken Seleana an hour to find out the details, and another hour to check on arrangements with Shay Kenyon regarding Kate’s daughter Trinity. Kate and her new baby, Dustin, would not be allowed to come home to this house until Sunday, the day Seleana was scheduled to be in Wales. With Eavan scheduled to be gone even before she had left the house, they had called Shay to see if she could watch Trinity for the weekend. As usual, Shay had said she would love to but now Seleana had needed to ask Shay to move up the timeframe.

Now, it was time to try and go out there to Charlotte to see to her wife, if for no other reason, to make sure she made it to her professional commitments and did not lose out because of what had happened. To do this, she would have to reach out to the COO of Rose Productions, Chloe Martin, and this would not be a fun conversation to engage in. The last time they had tried to talk to each other, it had not ended well and Seleana was not expecting this time to go any better. As she contemplates this going as badly as previously, her phone chimes with a Twitter notification. Seleana looks to see it’s from the aforementioned Chloe.

“@Valentine632 were you trying to reach me?”

Seleana quickly punches in an answer.

“Ja, I have been.”

With that sent off, Seleana goes back to pacing knowing no one else will be here to see it. Twenty minutes later, her phone rings. Seleana looks down to find it’s Chloe calling and answers.

Seleana Zdunich: Heya, Chickie, how’s it?

Chloe’s voice comes back quick and seemingly agitated.

Chloe Martin: Can I help you?

Seleana nods, understanding why Chloe might be a little annoyed.

Seleana Zdunich: I need private transport.

Chloe remains silent for a second and then answers back.

Chloe Martin: What does that have to do with me?

Seleana sighs sadly.

Seleana Zdunich: I need to go to Charlotte and get Christina. She was injured last night and will need help if she is to make her scheduled bookings this weekend.

Suddenly, Chloe’s entire demeanor changes.

Chloe Martin: What? How? What happened?

Seleana Zdunich: She had a match and was then assaulted in the backstage area. She has a match in sacramento tomorrow and then we have to go to Wales for my match on Sunday.

Almost immediately, tapping on a keyboard can be heard.

Chloe Martin: Ok, this will take a couple of hours but I should be able to get you what you need. I will text you details.

Seleana nods, smiling.

Seleana Zdunich: Tack, Chloe.

For the first time, worry enters Chloe’s voice.

Chloe Martin: No problem, please take care of her.  

The call ends and Seleana marches over to grab her bag, knowing it might take that long just to get to the airport in Los Angeles from here.

Friday, April 12, 2019
Charlotte, North Carolina
Hospital
9:17 PM EDT

Seleana walks down the hall and finds her step-daughter, Brittany Williams, and Brittany’s girlfriend, Haylie Jo “Halo” Annis, waiting by a door.

Brittany Williams: Mama Sel!!!

Brittany runs over and hugs Seleana, Seleana hugging her back. Halo steps over and joins in the family embrace.

Seleana Zdunich: I am sorry it took me time to get here.

Brittany doesn’t even bother to look up.

Brittany Williams: Who cares, you’re here now!

Halo nods her agreement.

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: Y’all’s here now, Mama Sel. That’s all that matters.

Seleana nods.

Seleana Zdunich: So, how is she?

Brittany and Halo both nod to the room behind them.

Brittany Williams: Not happy.

Haylie Jo "Halo" Annis: She’s been trying to get them to let her out for hours.

Seleana frowns.

Seleana Zdunich: They will not let her go?

Brittany shakes her head.

Brittany Williams: She wanted to drive herself.

Seleana nods slowly.

Seleana Zdunich: That is no longer a problem. Let us take care of this.

Brittany and Halo step back as Seleana goes to the door. As she opens it, Christina throws a mostly empty water bottle.

Christina Zdunich: I told you I want out of…

As the door opens to fully reveal Seleana, Christina cuts herself off in mid-sentence. Seleana steps inside the room, closing the door behind her. The two women stare at each other for what feels like years, neither really sure they can believe the sight before them. Finally, Christina manages to sit up in her hospital bed.

Christina Zdunich: Hey...

Seleana nods back to her.

Seleana Zdunich: Hej.

Christina bites her bottom lip, tears welling up in her eyes.

Christina Zdunich: You’re here.

Seleana nods.

Seleana Zdunich: I am.

Christina nods and then looks at the horrible food sitting on the tray in front of her.

Christina Zdunich: I…

Seleana nods and walks over to her, taking hold of Christina’s hand.

Seleana Zdunich: I am here to get you out and to get you to Sacramento for tomorrow. Then we go to Wales for Climax Control.  I have a date with a bad Apple that I do not think we should miss, ja?

Christina looks up, tears now freely streaming down her face.

Christina Zdunich: You’re here…

Seleana leans in and hugs her wife.

Seleana Zdunich: Where else would I be?

Christina hugs back, sobbing uncontrollably as joy washes over her.

Christina Zdunich: I love you…

Seleana Zdunich: I love you too.  

On-Camera

Friday, April 12, 2019
Charlotte, North Carolina
Airport
10:17 PM EDT

The camera opens upon Seleana Zdunich standing on the tarmac, watching as her wife is helped aboard a private plane. She watches as her step-daughter and future daughter-in-law also board the plane. Once all three have boarded, she nods and faces the camera.

Seleana Zdunich: Lady Apple Coren…

She nods pointedly to the camera.

Seleana Zdunich: I faced off with you once before and you were successful in our encounter. You dismissed me as being beneath you and I said, as you have heard many, many times, that you were a spoiled daughter of privilege and, as it happened, we both turned out to be right on some level. You are a daughter of privilege and you were better than me at that time.

She glances at the plane and seemingly takes stock of recent events.

Seleana Zdunich: I know what it feels like to be dismissed based off of one thing about you. I know what it feels like for people to take one detail about your life and pretend it is the only one that matters.

Looking to the ground, Seleana exhales heavily and then nods to her shoes.

Seleana Zdunich: In my case it is that I chose to marry Christina and that I also allowed her to train me, thus I am dismissed by most as being one of two things. Either I am nothing but her Swedish trophy wife that will be discarded when I have outlived by ability to make her look like she scored something shiny, beautiful and worth showing off or I am nothing but a wannabe that should never have been allowed to step into the ring because if I had really felt a calling to this sport the way others have, I would not have waited until I was over thirty to get started and I certainly would not have chosen Christina as a trainer despite her championship résumé.

She shakes her head and then looks up to the camera, shrugging her shoulders.  

Seleana Zdunich: I know Christina has done some things in recent times to cause her star to diminish in some eyes but to dismiss her completely and therefore dismiss me despite all that she has accomplished just in Sin City Wrestling is…

She shakes her head again.

Seleana Zdunich: I do not understand how she cannot at least be seen as a stepping stone for others. She has won so many championships and was just in the main event of Blaze of Glory VII for the Bombshell World Championship. She is not nothing!

Seleana glances to the plane again, clearly pained at this thought.

Seleana Zdunich: She works harder than most of you will ever know and twice as hard as any of you will ever admit but that is beside the point.

She turns and glares into the camera again.

Seleana Zdunich: The point here is that if she was what everyone says she is, how would I have ever managed to even get in the ring with Alicia Lukas for her championship? Alicia herself admitted I had worked my way into that opportunity and the fact that I pinned her for that championship means all of you who said my trainer was not worth anything are wrong!

She nods, still maintaining the glare.

Seleana Zdunich: You know all about that kind of dismissive, do you not, Lady Apple?

She nods again, this time knowingly.

Seleana Zdunich: In you, it tends to be that privilege as if that means you have never worked at anything in your life and while that may be true in certain aspects, it does not apply to all and those that dismiss you as untalented, unfocused and unwilling to pay your dues.

Seleana shakes her head in disgust.

Seleana Zdunich: You have proven time and time again that you were willing to take this seriously and that you are a physically gifted and talented competitor and yet, still, because you have that style placed before your name, you are dismissed even as you defeat the very people who dismissed you. And yes, you put  yourself on a pedestal and walk around as if you are to be treated a certain way but…

Pausing, Seleana shrugs.

Seleana Zdunich: So what? If we do not like how you put on airs, is it not our job to prove you wrong and knock you off that pedestal?

Seleana nods, pointing a finger into her own chest.

Seleana Zdunich: I have experience in that feeling as well. No one has been able to put me down in months and i have managed to knock several off of their perch as i have gone. Many former champions have tried to take me down in this run and since I punched Christian Underwood, none have succeeded. I am not the same sad rookie you faced before, Lady Apple. I will punch you in the face the same way I punched Christian and I will fight you until I can no longer fight. I have been to the top of the mountain now and I will get back there before all is said and done. I know you will come into this match and look to do what you did before and then some. I would expect nothing less from a highborn lady of class and privilege like yourself. Lady Apple Coren cannot afford to come at me and not appear to be ready to work as if she was a commoner.

The finger pointed in her chest retracts back into the fist and Seleana pounds it twice to her own chest, nodding pointedly as she does so.  

Seleana Zdunich: I am ready to show you and the rest of the world why Alicia Lukas thought highly of me before our first match and why I was on the poster for Blaze of Glory VII!

The fist drops back down to her side.

Seleana Zdunich: You walk to that ring to gather your rightful glory, I walk to that ring to prove that everyone who has ever denigrated me was wrong! I am much more than a trophy and I am more than a nobody trainee. I am Seleana “The Cat” Zdunich and it’s time to show what happens when a cat sinks it’s claws into a ripe piece of fruit! I will see you in Cardiff, Lady Apple…

She smiles and curtsies.  

Seleana Zdunich: An Apple a day will not keep this Cat away!      

She nods to the camera, turns and walks to the place, quickly heading up the steps and disappearing inside.