Author Topic: And now...the news  (Read 500 times)

Offline Sam Marlowe

• View Profile
    • Samantha Marlowe
And now...the news
« on: February 19, 2021, 11:53:47 PM »
The sound of footsteps moving into the light can be heard as Sam Marlowe walks into view.  Dressed in a pair of distressed jeans, unicorn socks and a white button up, Sam looks relaxed as she reaches her hands up and begins to gather her red curls into a high ponytail.  Letting it fall on her left shoulder, she is surprised by a pair of arms wrapping around her waist as Colton Myers lays his chin on her right shoulder.

“Do you really have to go out?” he teases, his soft breath making the short curls brush against her cheek.  “I thought we could relax, Netflix and chill.”

Sam leans back into the embrace with a sigh of pleasure that is cut short by a groan.  “I have some training to do and I am working on something that really needs to be done.  But tell you what…I will get it done as quick as I can then when I get back, we should make some pasta and do that Netflix thingie.”

Colton nods and then plants a kick on the cheek of Sam before releasing her.  She moves towards a pair of black cowboy boots.  Sliding her left foot inside one, she reaches down to pull the boot on by the bootstraps.  Colton watches as he leans on the back of the couch.  “You promise?” he asks with a raised eyebrow.

“Scout’s honor,” Sam vows which only has Colton scoff.

“You were never a scout Sami,” he replies which only has Sam responding with a stuck-out tongue.  She turns to put her foot into the second boot only to be attacked by Colton whose fingers curl along her side and begins to tickle her.  Screaming with laughter, Sam doubles up and tries to fight the attack but isn’t successful as Colton once more wraps his arms around Sam and the pair flip over the back of the couch.

Sam can’t help but scream on the roll but Colton keeps her safe in the movement.  Once the pair were safely on the couch, Sam leans up far enough to swat at the shoulder of Colton.  “You are so lucky that the both of us know how to take a bump.  Now you are making me late darlin’ and if you want me back early, I have to get on to getting’ on,” says Sam with mock anger. 

Colton raises his hands to rest beside his head allowing Sam to straighten up.  She leans over and kisses Colton’s lips before backing away before his arms can trap her once more.  She tsks at the young man and wags her finger.  “Nu uh mister,” she taunts.  “I am out of here.  Be back soon.”  She moves to the closet before pulling out a beat-up bomber jacket and tosses it on.  Catching up a set of keys and purse, Sam waves and leaves the room.

Colton rolls on his side and tucks a hand under his ear as he watches Sam leave.   At the sound of the door closing, he reaches for the remote which brings the television to life.  Pulling the remote upwards, he speaks into the remote.   “Netflix,” he says as the television responds.

Outside, Sam climbs into a green Camaro and then sitting in the driver’s seat, Sam pulls out her cellphone and puts it on the dash.  She sparks the engine to life before pulling out of the driveway.  She waves to her neighbor who is outside with a rather small dog who barks a greeting in return.  The car pulls away.   Inside of the car, Sam reaches up to press the camera app on the screen then swipes to video before pressing record and speaking to the camera with the throb of the engine as background noise.

It is that time again when the bombshells and superstars of SCW sign their names on the dotted line and enter into a tournament that is a relative creative idea.  Of course, lethal lottery tag team matches have been done before but since I have been involved in wrestling and Sin City Wrestling, this is the only company where I have seen a lethal lottery of mixed tag teams.  And yeah, this ain’t my first time in this rodeo.

See I know what could happen when the names are drawn.  I have been there for as couple of years and I have had some interesting partners.  I have been eliminated in the first round…I have made it to the semifinals and I even make it to the final match.  This tournament is something that I have dreaded and I have looked forward to.  And now it is here and I am getting ready to once more step into the fire that is the tournament. 

Firstly, I want to address my partner, Joshua Acquin.  I have heard about you and I have seen what you are capable of.  I must say that the odds are pretty good that the two of us could go all the way.  Others would say that you have a partner that could drag you down and out but I want you to know that I am not going to let you down if I can help it.  I am taking this match this week seriously and if that means that I need to step my game up, consider it done.  You and I have never teamed before and I am looking forward to this partnership in the tournament.   

Now let me address my opponents this week.  Bill Barnhart and Maki.  Another team that was put together by the luck of the draw.  And what an interesting team if I do say so myself.  First you have Bill Barnhart who is a wily veteran and someone who has earned the respect of the superstar locker room.  I have the same healthy respect for you Bill but that isn’t going to stop me from hoping that my partner is going to be just a little bit better than you are in our match.   

However, you are not my real focus in this match.  The company doesn’t really condone intergender matches so my focus has to be on your partner, Maki. 

Sam’s attention is taken by the traffic that is beginning to get heavier.  She moves towards quieter streets and continues to speak.

Maki, I remember you quite well considering the beating you gave me and trust me I still feel some of that pain when I train.  And I also have a very healthy respect for you because I have been in the ring with you.  And I am sure that you are going to be just as tough to beat in the ring as you were before. 

You may not think that I am going to be able to be ready for you in the ring.  I have to say that wehen I found out that you were part of the team that I was facing in the opening round of the Blast for the Past tournament, I felt the bottom drop out from under me for the slimmest of moments.  I know you know that I am someone that you can’t take lightly but you do hold a win over me so that might just make you cocky enough to think that I am not going to be able to beat you this week.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news Maki however, I am preparing for this match with an intensity that may just surprise you.  I know you are very dangerous in the ring and I know that you have the skills and ability to beat anyone in this tournament.  I respect that ability and I am not going to let it scare me.  I may be tagging with the SCW Nightmare and you are also a nightmare for most women in this company.  The fact that you aren’t wearing gold doesn’t mean that you aren’t a threat to be taken seriously.

The sound of the engine gearing down makes counterpoint to Sam’s voice.  She focuses on the road for a few moments before she once more addresses the cell phone. 

Maki, regardless of the outcome of the match, I want you to know that it will be a pleasure to have shared the ring with you and challenging your confidence of beating me once more.  However, I want you to know that I AM challenging that defeat and winning this match to once more put us on the same level.  I am not scared by you Maki which means that I am not afraid to step up to you and bring the fight to you for advancing in this tournament.

Sam stops talking as once more the engine whines down gear.  With a small smile, Sam looks at the camera before she leans towards it as her hand turns the key to cut the engine.  Before she exits the vehicle, she addresses the camera one final time.

I want to wish you and Bill good luck Maki.  It is going to be a great match and we will make it memorable.  And win or lose, you are going to realize that you were in a fight and that if you win the match, you earned it however, when we win the fight, you will know it was because for that match, we were the better team in that fight.

Sam reaches up and presses the stop button.  Pulling the cell from the holder on the dash, Sam pockets it and leaves the car.  She looks up at the building where she had arrived and with a smile, she enters the television station.

Sam Marlowe can be seen sitting behind a news desk where she is seen tapping papers on the top of it as she straightens them up.  Dressed in a blazer over a white blouse and blue tie, she looks cool and professional.  Behind the camera, the sound of a teletype can be heard, an old-fashioned nod to news shows of the past.  Looking into the camera, Sam begins to speak in a rather pointed news reporter type of way.

“Good evening, I am Sam Marlowe and tonight on SCW News, our top story is one of fake news and a human interest story of delusions and lack of respect for someone’s successes and achievements,” says the redhead as she then turns to a second camera and addresses it. 

“They say that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it,” begins newscaster Sam.  “We have the Blast from the Past tournament in Sin City Wrestling where Sam Marlowe is teaming with Joshua Acquin.  Their opponents are none other than Maki and Bill Barnhart.  Now the rules of the tournament is that men face men and women face women.   So stepping into the ring with Maki, Sam Marlowe had the following to say…”

On the monitor, a split screen happens showing Sam standing there in the white button down and jeans as she addresses the camera focused on her.

“Oh gosh, Maki is going to be a challenge for sure.  I mean she did beat me before and she definitely has a winning record in this company.  If you were to ask anyone just how dangerous she is on a scale of one to ten, they would probably say a twelve.  In all actuality, many could see her as leading her team to winning this tournament and earning herself a shot at the bombshell world title,” says Sam with a toss of her head and a worried look on her face.  “But you know that I ain’t spooked by that thought.  I know that to beat Maki will be something I am going to be forced to do and when I do, it is going to be as big boost to move on into the round of eight.”

Newscaster Sam addresses a camera with the split screen remaining on the monitor indicating that Sam is still there ‘in person’.  “Sam, you have heard that Maki is going to be gunning to win the match and she has indicated that she is ready to go all the way to the finals.  What do you have to say to that?”

On the screen, Sam appears to be listening before addressing the question.  “Well, what can I say, she has every right to be confident.  I would think that given her skills, she could very well do it.  I won’t be the one to say that she can’t because I know better.  The first time you doubt your opponent, that is when they beat you.  And I don’t doubt that she can do it.  But will she is the question?”

Newecaster Sam nods in understanding.  “I do want to address the comments from your opponent Bill Barnhart.  Earlier this week he talked about you like you were nothing to worry about.  How will that affect your confidence in the ring?” she asks.

“Oh I am not worried about what he said Ms Marlowe,” offers Sam.  “I don’t know if he knows just what I have done.  I managed to hear what he said and he is very wrong when he talks about what I have done.  I don’t know where he got his facts but everything that he said was shortchanging my career,” says Sam sadly.

“You are right and Sam, we brought in an expert on stats and facts.  SCW hall of famer and multiple time champion Mercedes Vargas provided us with the following…” reports Sam as the screen once more divides with a window showing Sam wearing a Mercedes Vargas tee and a rather long brunette wig.  The chyron reads ‘Not the real Mercedes Vargas’.  “Mercedes, can you correct the impression that Bill Barnhart has gained about Sam Marlowe?”

“Well yes I can,” offers the fake Mercedes as she looks down at the papers in front of her.  “You see, Sam Marlowe has won more than just two titles in Sin City Wrestling.  Let me give you a bit of a history lesson.”  Coughing as she holds up the papers, she then walks towards a whiteboard and picks up a marker and begins to write numbers down on the board.

“First, Samantha Marlowe has won the Bombshell World title twice, the Bombshell Roulette championship four times and the World Mixed Tag titles once.  She also holds the following records…” begins the faux Mercedes.  “As World Bombshell champion, she has held the title for a combined one hundred and five days.  But it was as Bombshell Roulette champion that she has shone.  Sam Marlowe has held that title on four separate occasions.  She holds the longest singles reign at two hundred and thirty one days.  She also holds the record for most combined days at six hundred and nine days over four reigns, and the records for both most single defenses at six and combined defenses at thirteen.”

Newscaster Sam looks impressed.  “That is quite impressive,” she comments only to be interrupted by the video of faux Mercedes once more. 

“Now, Sam is the only champion that has had four separate one hundred day reigns and one reign of over two hundred days.  She is also the only combined four hundred, five hundred and six hundred day combined reigns.  If you ask me, she is someone more than what Bill Barnhart thinks she is,” insists the faux Mercedes before she is silenced and newscaster Sam once more speaks.

“Thank you, Mercedes Vargas, for your insight on how capable Sam Marlowe is.  So, Sam, this week you are facing Maki and Bill and I am sure that you have been training for the match.  Do you have any last thoughts for your opponents?”

The image of Sam in her street clothes nods and puts her hands on her hips.  She thinks for a moment then speaks slowly and softly.  “Yes, I want to talk to my opponents and let them know that before the match, they have my total respect.  And after the match, they will still have my respect.  But during the match, when push comes to shove and there is a win or a loss on the line, I will tell you that I am driven to take the win.  So respectfully telling you now, there is going to be nothing you will be able to do in that match to prevent me from coming to beat you Maki or for Joshua coming to beat you Bill.  I am on a mission and that means that you are the roadbump on my way to earning the shot at the Bombshell World title.  Sunday’s Climax Control is the first step on flattening that curve.”

Sam smiles as the image freezes.  Newscaster Sam once more addresses the cameras to the side. 

“Sam Marlowe sounding very confident this week as she prepares to face Maki and Bill Barnhart in the opening round of the Blast from the Past tournament.  This is Sam Marlowe for Sin City Wrestling News and we return you to your regularly scheduled program…” says the newscaster before the image is sent to snow.

Colton Myers is on the couch with his feet up as the door opens to reveal Sam who walks in and lays her purse down on the table inside the door then pulls the bomber jacket from her shoulders.  Colton looks over his shoulder towards the redhead who moves towards the couch where he is sitting.  “So, Sami, you get done what you needed to do?” he asks before turning to the television again.

“Yes I did, managed to get something done to address the match this week.  And had a little fun doing it,” replies Sam as she moves towards the kitchen, stopping when she spies the dining room done up with candles and wine chilling. 

Colton gets to his feet and moves behind Sam to guide her to the kitchen.  “Wash up and help me bring dinner out,” he says pointing her towards the sink.  Nodding, she washes up then grabs a small basket of bread as Colton dishes out the pasta.  The two of them get to the dining room and sit down.  Sam is helped into her chair then smiling at Colton who moves across the table, she picks up her fork and picks up a mouthful of pasta to bring to her lips.

“Mmmm Camo, this is so good,” she says around the bite which makes Myers laugh.  “How was your day without me?”

“Long and boring,” he replies.  “Did you manage to talk about your match?”

“Oh yeah I did,” Sam responds.  “I have to tell you Camo, I was confident and cool and ready for the match but this is going to be a real challenge.” 

“Why do you say that Sami?” Colton asks.

“This whole lethal lottery means you team up with someone that you might never have teamed up with before and it means that you need to adapt to their style and you are at the mercy of your partner…or they are at your mercy.  Between you and me, I hope that Joshua Acquin and I are able to adapt to each other quickly or we will be losing the match.  The only saving grace is that Maki and Bill are in the same boat.”

“Let me tell you something Sami,” begins Colton as he points at the redhead with his fork.  “You don’t need to think about what your partner is going to do, you just focus on what you need to do to beat Maki and let this Joshua worry about beating Bill.  You get into your head and you aren’t going to be able to take the fight to Maki.  And my girl is ready to do what she can to win, right?”

“Right…” answers Sam as she nods and takes another bite of the pasta.  The scene fades out on the pair talking softly as they enjoy their dinner.