Author Topic: Someone's got a zoo loose  (Read 342 times)

Offline Despayre

• Beware the stare
    • View Profile
    • Despayre
Someone's got a zoo loose
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »
 Vancouver, British Columbia

The modest, two-story house was just in the center of a prominent yet quaint neighborhood. It was not what one might call a 'rich' neighborhood, but the people who lived along it were certainly 'middle class' or perhaps a touch above. There was not a lot of homes on this street, as years ago when it was in development, it was made so, so that it provided those housed within the desired space and privacy as opposed to other neighborhoods where the houses were stationed so close together that you could practically see and hear what your neighbors were watching on the television. Most who lived here worked in white collar jobs, office and such. There was a doctor and his family on the corner, and in this particular home, crafted of brick and mortar and a spacious yard and garden that was meticulously cared for, was once owned by a prominent Canadian judge, but now fell to ownership of his wife and daughter at his passing years ago.

The street seemed almost deserted, save for the few random children who were walking on the pavement on each side of the street, presumably heading for school for this the last day of the school week, heading into that fun-filled weekend that every child in school looked forward to from Sunday night on.

Some cars pulled out of the drives of the random homes, adults either heading to work or preparing to drive their young ones on their way to school, but at this particular house the two cars remained in the drive and only a flickering of lights seen through the red, silken drapes allowed any passing by a hint that someone inside was in fact up. (That was a downside to living in a neighborhood such as this. Simple curiosity fooled people into thinking anything happening along the street, inside a house or out, was somehow their business.)

This home was seen only once before, as months ago it was paid a visit by none other than SCW notables, Gabriel and Odette Ryder Stevens. It is in fact, the home of Despayre's mother, Margaret, and Grandma Victoria. It was the home that Margaret herself had been raised in, and the same could be said of Joshua. Right up until the tragic auto wreck that resulted in his impending injuries and mental decline.

The interior of the house was tastefully decorated in Old English with a touch of Victorian. It was not over done and only the required amounts of furniture with the paintings and plants added over the past few years, ever since Victoria's husband passed away due to a massive stroke. It was just after seven, and a rare day off for Margaret its seemed, as she descended the staircase, making a careful effort not to wake her mother, a retired secretary of a law office, who was sleeping in.

Having finished brewing a pot of coffee, and ignoring the effort of making breakfast which she and her mother never indulged in (when they weren't at her son's home in Las Vegas), Margaret walked into the dining room where the laptop computer rested, in 'sleep mode'. It was a day off, true, but she figured she could still indulge in a little online browsing and read the news articles to kick start her day. She pulled out the chair and had a seat, and for the next twenty minutes, she perused her favorite news website for the latest articles. She had just finished reading a story about how the United States Supreme Court ruled that police did not need search warrants any longer to invade and search a home, and moved on to something a little more entertaining, when the Skype notification lit up on the screen, alerting her to a 'video call' being made on the other end. And seeing as how she only got this program to keep in contact with a certain young man that held her heart as a mother, she immediately knew who it had to be.

So imagine her surprise when she clicked the 'accept call' button and immediately found the fuzzy face of a certain familiar teddy bear that the average wrestling fan would be well acquainted with.

"Angel..." Margaret murmured, all too well aware of this particular plush buddy of her son and the young man's emotional attachment to it. Ever since their reunion and Synn and Gabriel helping to reinsert her into Despayre's life, she had heard many tales told of her son and Angel's antics and what the pair were capable of pulling off, much to the astonishment of those around them. Yet be that as it may, to find Angel's face on her computer screen rather than that of her son still caught her somewhat off guard.

"Angel." She repeated, playing along with what she could only 'assume' was a moment of play on the other end. At least she hoped so or else she would feel quite silly should anyone overhear her error in judgement; particularly Synn himself. She spoke aloud, "Is Joshua there?"

"Is that Mom?" Came a voice she immediately recognized from somewhere on the other end of this video call.

"Joshua?" She smiled. "I can hear you but not see you."

"Just a sec!" Came Despayre's voice. "Angel is hogging the camera and won't move!"

Something then pulled the teddy bear from its closeup shot via the webcam and there was a brief struggle (?) it would seem, resulting in a crash and the 'tinkle' noise of something fragile being broken. Only then did her son's face enter the screen and his smile was bright as he laid eyes on the single most important woman in the world.

"Hi Mom! I..." And suddenly he was 'shoved' out of the shot and landed with a 'thud'. Seconds later, Angel's face popped back up to where it had been before. Margaret had to cover her mouth with her cupped hand, smothering the smile that grew steadily on her face at her son's antics.

"That wasn't cool!" Despayre shouted and his face entered the screen again, at Angel's side, and they seemed to be in a heated one-sided debate. "I get to talk to her first! .... Because she's MY Mom, that's why! ... Okay she's yours by proxy too, I guess, but I happen to be her baby boy so I get first dibs! ... Yeah!"

Angel lowered from the screen and Despayre's eyes appeared to be following something on an unseen path and he jutted his chin out in a silent 'so there' and then he turned and smiled as he climbed up onto the bed in his hotel so his mom would see a better shot of him and his surroundings.

"He'll be alright!" Despayre declared. "He knew I was going to call you today but beat me to it! He'll be back for his turn later."

"Wonderful." Margaret mused. "Are you boys enjoying your tour so far?"

"No." Despayre grumped. "So far I haven't seen a single cannibal or witch doctor."

"Why would you even want to?" Margaret asked as she took a sip of her coffee. "Those are dangerous, right?"

Despayre huffed and answered with a pouted expression on his face, "Maybe so but it just doesn't seem like it'd be a tour of Africa if I didn't get to see some of those guys in funny hats in a big pot of water with cannibals dancing around the fire."

"Sweety," Margaret stated. "I think you've been watching one too many movies."

"Hey I had to prepare for the tour some way." Despayre reasoned, flopping over onto his chest with his body propped up on his elbows. Margaret could see his feet kicking idly in the air behind him as he went on, "I've never been to Africa before so I had to be ready!"

"I understand. I just want you to be safe." Margaret smiled. "Is that your father I see behind you?"

Despayre rolled over onto his side and looked behind him to see Synn walking across the hotel room, a sour expression plastered on his face. Despayre hurriedly looked back into the camera and smiled, "Yup!" And he then rolled back and waved his free arm that was not supporting him and called, "Daaaad! Mom says 'hi'!"

"Hi!" Synn grumbled as he walked past the background, a bottle of Coke in hand and toward a patio behind the shot.

"What's with your father?" Margaret asked. "He seems a bit grumpy."

Despayre sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed and nodded gravely. "He is." He declared. "He says he can't find a decent cup of coffee since we came to this tour."

Margaret snorted back a chuckle and shook her head. Synn seemed as bad with coffee as their mutual son was with Cherry Coke and his dependence on it.

"Oh!" Despayre smiled. "I also wanted to say Happy Mother's Day!"

"Oh sweet, thank you." Margaret cooed. "But you know that Mother's Day is Sunday?"

"I know!" Despayre flopped against the edge of the desk, all knees and elbows. "But I have a match on Sunday and I don't know if I'll be able to get to the computer to say it then. So I thought I'd say it now! I'll still try though!" He declared.

"Well I appreciate that, sweety." Margaret stated. "And you know I'll understand if you don't. but I do want you to get in touch after so you can tell me all about it."

"Won't you be watching?"

"I haven't missed a match of yours yet." Margaret answered. "But I'd still like for you too tell me all about it."

"Okay!" Despayre nodded eagerly. "And since it's still gonna be Sunday, I can wish you Happy Mother's Day then, too!"

"Deal." Margaret winked. "Now let me talk to your father."

"Are you sure?" Despayre asked, eyes wide. "He's been a real sour puss without his Starbucks!"

"I heard that!" Came the booming voice from the outside of the patio, and Margaret watched from her end as the man in question stepped back into the hotel room and approached. A large hand nudged Despayre's shoulder and he scooted out of the shot as Synn took his place.

Yet before Synn could say a word, Angel's face filled the screen and Despayre's voice called, "It's not your turn yet!" And the teddy bear was removed.

"You wanted to talk?" Synn asked.

"To your face, yes." Margaret answered in a bemused tone. "But I could do so while staring at your chest if you insist."

"I don't see why not." Synn stated, all the while correcting the position of the lap top so she could see his face instead. He continued, "After all, I stared at yours' often enough when we were younger." Margaret could only smile and shake her head at Synn's retort and he asked, "Did you get your gift from Joshua?"

"I did." She confirmed. "When he gets back on, I'll thank him. Oh and Mother told me when I spoke to you, thank you for the present you sent her."

Synn held up a hand, universally indicating that the gesture was no big deal, but Margaret was not fooled one iota. Synn was not prone to such sentimental gestures, and she knew deep down Victoria was the closest thing to a mother that Synn would ever have, what with the tragic falling out he had with his own mother when he was a mere teenager. He had never spoken to his parents since that night all those years ago and she could not imagine having the same situation with her own parents. Well, her father yes. Her mother, certainly not.

"I just wanted to check in that everything was going alright." Margaret whispered, hoping that Despayre wasn't near to overhear her choice of words. "I've been keeping tabs on the news over there and I..." She frowned and shook her head. "I just couldn't believe they actually scheduled a tour over there."

"The places that we've appeared has not been on the radar of what's been happening." Synn replied in an attempt to dissuade her. "With the possible exception of Egypt, but Christian, Erik and Mark took great care to ensure we'd be appearing in only the safer territories and the local governments have provided us with maximum security." He shrugged. "So we're fine."

"And Joshua?" She raised her eyebrows in concern. "How is he reacting about this next match of his? I got your email. They're actually making him wrestle his friend? That muscular young man?"

"Mm." Synn nodded. "But it's not just them. There are three other tag teams being split down the center and made to face each other in this one single match. I was concerned myself, because I remember how Joshua reacted the two times they tried to make him and Gabriel wrestle each other. The first time the lad almost had a panic attack and he purposely cost himself the match so he didn't have to. The second time he couldn't do so, because he had a partner that was relying on him. So Gabriel and I tried our best to reassure him that it'd be no different than when they spar against each other while training."

"So did that work this time?" Margaret asked.

"Oh I didn't have the chance to even start speaking to him about the topic when he told me he and 'Bernie' already had a plan." Synn replied. "The moment we saw the match announced, he and Bernard... and I suppose Angel, too, if you want to be technical, engaged in a little pow-wow session about how to handle things."

"Any ideas?"

Synn shook his head, "None of them are talking." He then paused and frowned. "Did I just infer Angel was not talking as well?"

"Afraid so." Margaret chuckled at the man's expense. Once she composed herself, she continued. "So Joshy told me that you all were going on a safari?"

"Indeed." Synn answered. "There wouldn't be much point being in Madagascar without going on one of their tourist safaris. And yes, before you ask, they are quite safe. It's not like other safaris in Africa where we'd have to remain in our cars. These, you can walk around in certain areas with a guide and go down a river on a boat."

"Oh that sounds like fun." Margaret closed her eyes, clearly envious. "Make sure you take a lot of pictures so Mother and I can live vicariously through you lot."

"I'll make certain one of Joshua's guests does so for us." Synn nodded. "I want to keep an eye on him and as for him taking the pictures..." He sighed. "We have far too many snapshots of his eyes than I care to think about."

"Well, so long as you're all safe and have fun." She smiled. "Now please put my boy back on?"

Synn nodded, and with a parting word of goodbye, Synn excused himself -- and Angel's head popped back up into the camera.

"Not yet!"</color>

"There are times when I truly can not fathom what is going through the minds of the three men responsible for booking the shows for Sin City Wrestling. When I had heard that there was to be an eight man tag team match scheduled for Madagascar, featuring the four teams vying for the tag team titles, I just naturally assumed that the two NXT teams would be paired together and Big B and Despayre would be teamed with the champions. Although that particular idea was less than endearing, given the current level of hostility between Despayre and Frost over the words exchanged about Angel. Still, my natural assumptions served as living proof about what happens when people assume things. I mean, why would the staff do the natural thing when they can dish out a serving of controversy and make each tag team e in position to oppose one of their own?"

"Big B, I have no doubt in my mind that whatever you and Joshua have planned, will be anything less than ... intriguing, I guess is the right word. Thus far you and Despayre have been quite successful as a combination and I'd just as soon prefer not seeing you and he reduced to the strains of facing each other simply because one of the bosses of SCW had a quirky whim when cooking up this event. I told you once before to not underestimate yourself. You have come further than you, and I dare believe that cousin of yours, dare believe."

"Ethan Brody, former SCW Tag Team Champion in his own right, and one-half of the Guns Fore Hire. I imagine that you and that partner of yours is feeling the same awkward position that everybody else in this little encounter is finding themselves in. To face your own partner, that appealing Landon Axel, has to have you at your wits end. Well, try not to let it bother you too much. You have much more to focus on in this match than simply the possibility of having to face your friend and partner, don't you? You also find yourself opposite another member of NXT, and being the newest members of that promising stale of men and women, that has to make you wonder if the slightest offense against one of their own might spell your own ejection from that squad. Hm? Suppose you end up injuring Connor? Or Landon himself? I suppose such issues are the furthest thing from your mind, because you believe them to be an impossibility. Fair enough. I imagine your greatest concern shouldn't be on them, or even Lucian Frost, who currently holds one half of the tag team belts. Your biggest concern should be the fact you find yourself against Despayre, a young man whose won-loss record is on par with being among the very best. You see, perhaps you've forgotten, but I have not. This would not be the first time you've encountered Despayre. You and Landon once opposed him and Gabriel when they reigned as the tag team champions. Perhaps you attempt to bury the memory of that loss -- yes, loss. For it wasn't the Guns Fore Hire that walked away from that match, victorious. It was Sinful Obsession. Granted, it was Landon, and not you, who had his shoulders pinned to the canvas. But it did allow you the rare chance to look in from the outside, and see what could have been. Remember that Ethan, because it could be you this time around."</color>

The sun beat down with a glaring intensity from the bright sky above, down onto the Madagascar terrain below, and the party of explorers who was taking this rare opportunity to indulge in the African wilderness, wildlife, and yes, the native peoples of this island.

Despayre hadn't even had to wheedle his father, Synn, to book this special tourist safari. The plan had already been set in motion long before they had even embarked onto the jet to arrive. Synn himself had expressed an interest in this experience, and had made certain that Gabriel and his wife Odette, Melody Grace and Ivy Bayley, and a most reluctant Rage himself would be taking part. Shane Boswell, excuse me, 'Sxxxy' Shane, and his favorite chew toy aka Fantasia, had made the trip and were also in attendance. Big B was there, of course! Despayre had invited Emma Rose to tag along, and that imaginary boyfriend of hers, as Despayre seemed to fully believe Ben Jordan didn't really exist!

All dressed casually for the hot and dry weather, but Despayre was forced to cover up a bit more than the others, due to his fair skin and propensity for burning easily. So while he was able to wear shorts and a light shirt like the rest, he also had to wear a hat and quite a bit of sun screen.

Unfortunately, despite the initial acceptance of the invite, Ben and Emma had other plans now to attend to. It was just as well. Ben had taken Despayre aside and asked for his aide in a little personal quest, and Despayre heartily accepted! Never let it be said that Despayre did not enjoy a challenge, and the opportunity to help someone out, even if he was a Fig Newton of some girl's imagination. The chance would come for him to fulfill his duty but for now, the tour group took pleasure in the sights on all sides of the river bank as their boat slowly made it's way upriver while they gazed at the animals both in the water as well as moving about in the grassland.

Crocodiles swam slowly along in the water, taking heed not to get too close to the boat or the people within it. This did Despayre small comfort as he scooted closer to his father's side who draped an arm around his shoulder. Despayre, in turn, kept Angel tightly held against his chest and would not allow the teddy bear to get close to the side to see the nasty water logged reptiles!

They witnessed the life of the local villagers on the river, as they went about in the river and on small inlets in the center of the water, taking great care to avoid the dangerous wildlife within the waters to fish and hunt for their own sustenance.

They arrived at a large portion of the river that the crocodiles did not inhabit. There was a family fishing together, the mother and father, and two small children, each holding a section of a fishing net in their hands. A woman planting rice on the river bank.  The group watched as the wildlife of the river went about it's own business, as a native bird, an Egret, moved its head and darted its beak into the water, intending to gain its meal. Another bird, a great blue heron, stepped up from out of the waters and onto a small island embankment of wet sand. Mere moments later, the bird lifted its wings and took flight across the waters and soared past a popular boat known in this region as the African Queen.

The wildlife spotters certainly did their work, then as well as after they left the boat part of the safari and stepped back onto dry land where the people of a local village came out with smiles, greeting the members of the party. These truly were a friendly people, thrilled and honored that the members of this tour group came so far to 'visit' and see their local spot. A few of the children, with their parents right there, even braved to approach and run their fingers along the soft, plush 'fur' of Angel's body.

Then, with a guide and two security personnel, the Sins and their friends ventured onto a land part of the safari, to experience the fauna and wildlife. One of the first things they were gifted to spot was in a tree, a gray mouse lemur. A nocturnal animal that was blind in the daylight.

"Boy I bet Emma and Ben wish they were here now, huh? Yes I think so too!" Despayre conferred with Angel. "Yeah, Ben was right. Its eyes really are like Mickey Carroll's!"

They walked through the Spires of Tsingy, experiencing the wonder of what was called 'musical' limestone. Some of them even braved crossing a chasm on a suspension bridge. Despayre did not, however. Angel was afraid to do so, and if Angel couldn't, then Despayre was not going to indulge in something his buddy couldn't. It just wouldn't be fair, you know?

This truly was an all day marvel to experience, as the final part of the tour was taken down a dirt road in two jeeps to accommodate the large party (not to mention the larger than life party members). They pulled to a stop only when a herd of native cattle was blocking the road and took the opportunity to get out of the jeeps and stretch their legs. While the tour guides busied themselves getting the herd from their path, the rest of the party conversed amongst themselves.

Despayre, however, had his eyes on something off the path that had immediately attracted his attention. he pointed it out to Angel, then glanced back at the others to see if the coast was clear...</color>

"Jon Dough is perhaps one of the fastest rising stars on the opposite side, not including Big B, of course. A two-time Tag Team Champion, and some might argue the title would still be yours had your partner at the time, Frost, not turned his back on you. It's a theory to be contemplated, but the fact remains the same. You've held gold twice now, but know this; there will not be a threepeat reign of the tag titles, not yet, and certainly not at the upcoming Supercard. That distinction will be reserved for the tandem of the Bosom Buddies, and I'd highly recommend you accept that statement as fact. This will be the first time that you have had the chance to set foot inside of the ring with Despayre, Jon. It's not an opportunity that most relish as they have often found themselves underestimating Despayre, thinking him easy prey -- only to find that quite the opposite is true. Use this as a learning experience Jon, as for what is to come in Cape Town when the titles are up for grabs. That is all I will say on the matter, as I have nothing truly against you."

"But shall we say that we have saved the proverbial best for last? The man who holds his share of the Tag team gold around his waist, one Joshua Acquin. A man who thinks himself above all others, and who has a conspiracy theory that the fact he is made to set foot in the ring, whether it be defending his gold or not, is some plan on the part of the staff of SCW to strip them of their cherished titles and break them as a combination. Now, I have to admit that this tandem of Acquin and Frost is perhaps one of the most impressive in recent history -- but they are not Despayre and Big B. I don't believe you nor that partner of yours, ironically Despayre's partner this coming weekend, has had the chance to compete against Despayre either, have you? Well, I look forward to witnessing the expression on your face, and that of your championship partner, when you bear witness to the repercussions of your past actions directed at Despayre and Big B, and yes, that of Angel. It will be but a taste of your being forced to swallow your own words, because no matter how much I will be satisfied at your humiliation on Sunday, it'll be but the appetizer to the main course of you two losing your precious belts and standing, to the Bosom Buddies. In due time, Acquin, in due time."</color>

The sun was setting across the ocean beach front of the Tsara Komba Lodge, and inside of the hall, Emma Rose and Ben Jordan were returning from their romantic, beach dinner shared between just the two of them under the descending sun. True, a part of them wished they had taken Despayre up on his offer to join them on their safari tour, but they had spent the day with each other, and for them, that was a day well spent.

"I almost feel a little bad." Ben stated as the two arrived at the door to their room.

"What for?" Emma asked, her hands encircled around the crook of Ben's arm.

"I suppose Despayre had high hopes in helping us out today." Ben smiled as he unlocked the door to the hotel. They stepped inside and Ben reached over to flick on the lights. "The poor kid is probably trying to figure out a way to tell us he couldn't..."

Anything else Ben thought to say escaped him and Emma herself gasped at what was laying on their bed with a big blue bow wrapped lovingly around its neck, and a note attached that read "SURPISE! - Despayre and Angel".</color>

>
>

"A teddy bear does not depend upon mechanics to give him the semblance of life. He is loved - and therefore he lives."