Author Topic: The Lambshank Redemption  (Read 381 times)

Offline Natalie McKinley

• View Profile
The Lambshank Redemption
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:25 PM »
 The scene opens inside Pure Gym, in Cardiff, on the afternoon of Monday 16th February. An array of equipment can be seen, such as free weights, weight machines, and various other exercise machines. The camera, though, is focused on a flat bench - stood next to which is Natalie McKinley, who is wearing a pair of black leggings and a white crop top; on the floor, beside the bench, is a 115lbs dumbbell.

Natalie places her left leg on the end of the bench, before bending forward, and gripping the other end of the bench with her left hand. With her right hand, Natalie picks the dumbbell up off the floor, and she then proceeds to perform one-arm dumbbell rows. After five repetitions, Natalie puts down the dumbbell, which she gently rolls underneath the bench, as she switches sides.

As Natalie places her right leg on the bench, her attention is momentarily caught by the sight of a man alone at a nearby bench, who is adding weights to a barbell, seemingly preparing to perform a bench press. Natalie then carries on with her own exercise, picking up the dumbbell with her left hand, as she repeats the one-arm dumbbell rows with that arm, again doing five reps.

Once she has finished, Natalie gets up from the bench, and returns the dumbbell to the rack. She then turns to look again at the man attempting the bench press, and sensing that he may be struggling without the support of a spotter, Natalie decides to walk over to him; she calls out to him, as she approaches the bench.

Natalie: 'I think it looks like you could do with some assistance.'

Natalie then makes her way to the rack end of the bench, taking up the spotting stance.

Natalie: 'Here, let me spot for you.'

Natalie puts her hands underneath the bar, although not so close as to be touching it. The man, who is wearing a pair of white shorts and a red t-shirt, says nothing in response to Natalie, as he just continues to exert himself. Natalie looks on, guiding the direction of the bar with her hands, as the man does a couple of reps; after completing another rep, Natalie can tell that he is toiling.

Natalie: 'Think you can manage one more?'

Without saying anything, the man begins to lower the bar towards his chest once more; following a brief pause, he then breathes out, as he pushes the bar upwards. Once he finishes the rep, Natalie grips the bar, aiding in placing it back in the rack. The man takes a deep breath, before getting up from the bench; as he rises to his feet, it can be seen that he is fairly handsome, athletically built, with short dark hair, and looks to be in his mid twenties. He then looks in the direction of Natalie, who moves from behind the rack, and takes a step towards him; the man opens his mouth to speak, but there is a slight hesitation, as he is taken aback by Natalie's appearance.

Man: 'Thanks for your help.'

Natalie smiles politely.

Natalie: 'You're welcome.'

Man: 'I think I got a bit overambitious with how much I was lifting.'

The man gazes around the gym, before looking back at Natalie, with a frown.

Man: 'Do you work here?'

Natalie shakes her head.

Natalie: 'No - I used to, but I quit last July, for a change of career.'

Man: 'Oh, okay; well, you certainly look like you know your way around a gym.'

Natalie's smile broadens slightly.

Man: 'And what do you do know? If you don't mind me asking.'

Natalie: 'No, it's alright; I'm a wrestler.'

Man: 'Oh, that's cool; I used to watch wrestling when I was younger, but I stopped following it when I went to university. So, do you wrestle for a company in Britain, or elsewhere?'

Natalie: 'Wow, this is more questions than I was expecting to have to answer when I came to the gym today.'

The man responds in an apologetic tone of voice.

Man: 'Oh, I'm sorry. I bet I'm messing up your routine, aren't I?'

Natalie: 'No, you're okay.'

Natalie lets out a nervous laugh.

Natalie: 'I work for a wrestling promotion called Sin City Wrestling.'

Man: 'With a name like that, I presume they must be based in Las Vegas.'

Natalie: 'They are, although they have expanded from their base - so much so that that the company recently embarked upon its first world tour. In fact, just eight days ago, they staged a show here - in Cardiff.'

Man: 'A couple of friends said they were going to a wrestling show last weekend - I guess it must have been that one. Did you wrestle on the show?'

Natalie nods her head.

Natalie: 'I did - I was in a mixed tag team match.'

Man: 'And did you win?'

Natalie: 'Well, I was on the winning team, although it was my partner that got the pin.'

Man: 'Are you from Cardiff? You sound like you're local.'

Natalie gives a single nod of her head.

Natalie: 'Yes, I'm from Cardiff.'

Man: 'That must have been a special occasion for you, then. I mean, getting to wrestle in your hometown - and not only that, but winning your match, as well.'

Natalie: 'Yeah, it was a good night; hopefully it won't be the only time in my career that I get to appear on a show in Cardiff.'

Natalie breaks eye contact with the man, momentarily looking away from him, down at the floor; she then raises her eyes back to him.

Natalie: 'And what about you? Judging by your accent, you don't sound like you're from around here.'

The man chuckles.

Man: 'No, I'm not - I'm from Cheltenham; I moved to Cardiff at the start of the year, because of my work.'

The man quickly glances over his shoulder, before looking back to Natalie.

Man: 'You know, a friend of mine was supposed to be coming to the gym with me today, but he cancelled on me - which is why you found me doing the bench press without anyone to spot for me.'

Natalie: 'Well, I guess it was a good job that I was here to help you, then.'

Man: 'Indeed it was.'

The man smiles at Natalie.

Man: 'Look, I've only been in Cardiff a few weeks, so I don't know that many people here yet. And I've not visited many places, either - maybe you could show me around the city some time.'

Natalie: 'What, you mean, like a date?'

Man: 'It doesn't have to be a date - not unless you want it to be.'

Natalie: 'I don't know; I don't know anything about you, other than that you're from Cheltenham - I don't even know your name.'

Man: 'Well, I don't know your name, either.'

Natalie: 'Okay, that's true.'

Natalie lets out a slight sigh.

Natalie: 'Natalie - my name is Natalie.'

Man: 'I'm Jack, Natalie - Jack Brown.'

The man - whose name we now know to be Jack - holds out his hand, towards Natalie.

Natalie: 'Nice to meet you, Jack.'

Natalie smiles, as she shakes Jack's hand.

Jack: 'Nice to meet you too, Natalie.'

Jack smiles back at Natalie.

Jack: 'So how about it, then - will you be my tour guide? I'll even pay for everything.'

Natalie smirks.

Natalie: 'Now it really is starting to sound like a date.'

Jack: 'Is that a problem - are you seeing someone?'

Natalie: 'I don't currently have a boyfriend, if that's what you're asking.'

Jack: 'You still sound a bit reluctant, though - is something else the matter?'

Natalie: 'No, it's just...'

Natalie's sentence trails off; she then bites her lower lip.

Natalie: 'I'm not sure when I would be able to show you around Cardiff - I'm flying to Stockholm tomorrow, for a show that SCW is staging there this weekend.'

Jack: 'That's alright - it doesn't have to be this week; when will you be back in Cardiff?'

Natalie: 'In a week's time.'

Jack: 'Next week then, perhaps.'

Jack smiles reassuringly at Natalie.

Jack: 'So, are you going to be involved in a match in Stockholm?'

Natalie: 'Yes: I will be in a singles match, against an opponent by the name of Mercedes Vargas.'

Jack: 'Mercedes Vargas? Where is she from - Chile?'

Natalie: 'Argentina.'

Jack: 'Okay. And how does she compare to you?'

Natalie: 'Well, she's a far more experienced wrestler than I am.'

Jack: 'I bet she's not as strong as you though, is she?'

Natalie shakes her head.

Natalie: 'No; I think she's an inch or two taller than I am, but about twenty or so pounds lighter.'

Jack: 'There you go then; you've got nothing to worry about - she won't able to combat your power.'

Natalie laughs.

Natalie: 'If only it was that simple.'

Jack grins.

Jack: 'Come on then - you still haven't given me an answer.'

Natalie: 'I kind of get the feeling that you're not going to take no for answer.'

Jack gives a nonchalant shrug of his shoulders.

Jack: 'What I can say? I would like to get to know you better - you intrigue me; I've never met a woman before that lifts weights as heavy as I'm guessing you can. And I've never met a professional wrestler before - male or female.'

Natalie: 'Okay then, how about this: seeing as you have already decided it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to beat Mercedes Vargas, if I do beat her on Sunday, then I'll agree to go on the date with you. However, if I lose the match, then it's a no. What you do say to that?'

Jack pauses to contemplate Natalie's proposal.

Jack: 'Okay - I'll go along with that. But make sure that you win.'

Natalie: 'Oh, I'll try.'

We leave Natalie and Jack, stood in the gym, and switch to a scene from a couple of hours later that day, to see Natalie stood outside an office building, elsewhere in Cardiff city centre; Natalie is still wearing the same leggings, but she now has on a green coat over her top.

Natalie is stood a few yards from the entrance to the building, watching on as a steady stream of people leave their office at the end of the working day. Within a matter of seconds, it becomes obvious who Natalie is looking for, when out walks Simon Jones; Simon - who is wearing a pair of black trousers, and a black jacket - soon notices Natalie, and walks over to her.

Natalie: 'Hi.'

Simon smiles pleasantly at his unexpected visitor.

Simon: 'Good evening. So, what brings you here?'

Natalie: 'Have you seen the line-up for next Sunday's Climax Control?'

Simon shakes his head.

Simon: 'No, not yet; why?'

Natalie: 'I've been booked in a match against...'

Before Natalie can tell Simon who her forthcoming opponent is, he interrupts her.

Simon: 'Wait; this isn't going to spoil what happened last night, is it? You know that I haven't had the chance to watch last night's show yet.'

Natalie: 'Don't worry, I'm not going to give away who is through to the semi-finals of the Blast from the Past tournament, or tell you who won any of the other matches last night.'

Simon: 'Okay; good.'

Natalie: 'So, as I was saying, next Sunday, I'm going to be in a one-on-one match, against Mercedes Vargas.'

Simon grins, as he digests Natalie's announcement; he then responds in an enthusiastic tone.

Simon: 'Really? That's great news. I bet you're glad now that I encouraged you to say something after me during that video I recorded, aren't you?'

Natalie: 'Yes, I am - thank you for insisting that I do that.'

Simon: 'You're welcome. So, are you wanting me to help you pore over footage of Mercedes' past matches?'

Natalie: 'Yes please. Actually, that's why I came here to meet you - I was hoping that we could get to work as soon as possible.'

Simon: 'I had planned to watched Climax Control once I got home from work - but I suppose that can wait. Come on, let's make a move.'

The camera follows Natalie and Simon as they begin to walk along the pavement outside the office of Simon's employer, moving away from the building.

Simon: 'When are you going to Stockholm, then?'

Natalie: 'Tomorrow evening, on a flight from Stansted.'

Simon: 'Tomorrow evening? That doesn't give me much time to help you.'

When Natalie and Simon reach the corner of a junction, they turn right.

Simon: 'I know why you're so eager to get to Stockholm: it's because you want to spend a few days working out in that gym you told me about, isn't it? What's it called?'

Natalie: 'Delta Gym - it's a hot spot for hardcore weightlifters, so yeah, I would like to spend a few days there, ahead of my match against Mercedes.'

Simon: 'Alright, well, we'll just have to make the most of what time we have this evening, then.'

Natalie: 'Simon, you helped me two weeks ago, when I was preparing for Jessie Salco, and now it's time for Mercedes Vargas; whatever guidance you're able to give me - however much - will be beneficial to me.'

Simon: 'Maybe so, but I still would have liked to have more time to work with you, before you fly out to Stockholm. I mean, this match against Mercedes, this is it, Nat - this is the opponent you wanted; you can't afford any slip-ups.'

Natalie: 'I know, Simon, I know; I wanted Mercedes, and I'm determined to beat her.'

Natalie and Simon walk under a railway bridge.

Natalie: 'I got asked out by a guy in the gym earlier.'

Simon glances at Natalie, but doesn't say anything.

Natalie: 'I spotted for him while he was using the bench press, then we got talking afterwards, and he ended up asking me out on a date.'

Simon: 'And what was your answer?'

Natalie: I don't give him an answer, per se.'

Simon again looks at Natalie, frowning.

Natalie: 'I told him that if I win my match against Mercedes, then I'll go on a date with him.'

Simon: 'This guy - do you find him attractive?'

Natalie sighs, somewhat reluctant to answer Simon's question.

Natalie: 'I'll admit, I think he's good-looking.'

Simon: 'So why are you putting an obstacle in the way of you going on a date with him, then, by making it contingent on the outcome of your match?'

Natalie: 'What - don't you think I can defeat Mercedes?'

Simon: 'Hey, I didn't say that - I know you can defeat Mercedes, and I'm going to help you work towards doing that. It's just that...well, it's none of my business, really, but it's been several months since you broke up with your last boyfriend, and most blokes seem too intimidated by you to ask you out. So if you think this guy looks attractive, then, well, I guess I'm just a bit surprised that you didn't say yes.'

Natalie: 'Well, he caught me by surprise - I wasn't expecting it. But right now, I want to focus on Mercedes Vargas. I want what Mercedes has - I want that roulette title; beating her on Sunday would be a significant step towards getting my hands on it. And so I didn't give him a definitive answer because I don't want any distractions; if I win my match against Mercedes, then I will happily go on a date with Jack - especially if I go on to win the roulette title.'

Simon: 'His name's Jack?'

Natalie responds with a nod. She and Simon then come to a stop at a pedestrian crossing, where they wait for the lights to change, to allow them to cross the road.

Natalie: 'A thought occurred to me earlier: if Roxi Johnson and I were opponents, who would you want to win?'

Dodging Natalie's question, Simon reaches into the pocket of his trousers, and pulls out his mobile phone.

Simon: 'I'm going to call Jacqui, to let her know that I'm bringing a guest with me.'

As Natalie and Simon continue to wait at the pedestrian crossing, with Simon on the phone to his wife, we leave them and fast forward to Thursday 19th February, to see Natalie stood in Vasaparken - a park in Stockholm. Natalie is stood next to a statue called Arbetaren (The Worker), looking towards the camera; she is wearing a pair of dark blue jeans and a black parka.

Natalie turns her head to her left, to look at the statue for a brief moment, before she then looks back to the camera, as she begins to speak.

Natalie: 'I've been here in Stockholm for two days now, getting acclimatised to the city, ahead of this Sunday's Climax Control, and my match against Mercedes Vargas. I've spent much of that time at Delta Gym - which is a mere stone's throw from where I'm stood now - trying to make sure that I'm in the best condition possible for what is rather an important match for me.'

Natalie runs her left hand through her hair.

Natalie: 'The match this Sunday will be my second match since returning to SCW, and before I discuss my upcoming match any further, I first want to respond to a comment that was made by my most recent opponent, Jessie Salco. Prior to the mixed tag team match that we were involved in eleven days ago, Jessie claimed that, during my first stint in SCW, I had been a flop. Now, I'm curious to know what Jessie based that opinion on. The term "flop" would usually be used to describe a failure. However, my record during my first spell in SCW was two wins and one loss - not perfect, but not exactly dire, either.'

Natalie quickly glances over her right shoulder, before looking back to the camera.

Natalie: 'Actually, come to think of it, if I was to use Delia's logic, then I could declare that I'm unbeaten in SCW, as I wasn't the one that was pinned in the match at Violent Conduct II - but I didn't win the match, and therefore I'm not unbeaten. Still though, it was only one loss in three matches - not really enough for someone to judge me to have been a flop. Perhaps the reason Jessie thinks I was a flop is because I left SCW barely two months after joining the roster - if that is the case, then as I said two weeks ago, I had my reasons for leaving so abruptly, which I will talk about at a later date.'

Natalie turns away from the camera; the camera pans to the left, following Natalie as she walks in that direction. A wooden bench soon comes into view; Natalie stops by the bench, and then turns back to face the camera.

Natalie: 'Now that I'm back in SCW, I have no intention of disappearing again any time soon, which is why I made no secret of my aspiration to win the roulette title - if I was planning to leave again in the near future, then I wouldn't waste everyone's time by targeting Mercedes Vargas, and the title that is currently in her possession. And as for Jessie Salco, and anyone else who thinks that, up until now, I have been a flop during my time in SCW, I'm going to take inspiration from Brown Ideye.'

Natalie grins.

Natalie: 'For most of you watching this, I'm sure that Brown Ideye isn't a name that you're familiar with - so let me explain. Ideye is a Nigerian footballer, who last summer joined a club in the Premier League, in England - and as recently as two weeks ago, he was being labelled a flop. However, in his last three games, he has scored four goals; all of a sudden, there's no stopping him, and people's opinions of him have changed dramatically - no-one thinks he's a flop now. Coincidentally, the first of those three games - and the first of Ideye's four goals - came on the day that I returned to an SCW ring, when Simon Jones and I defeated Steve Ramone and Jessie Salco. And just like Brown Ideye has gone on to rack up the goals since then, thus proving that he isn't a flop, that victory eleven days ago will be the first of many for me, as I go about leaving no-one in any doubt as to my ability.'

Natalie takes a seat on the bench.

Natalie: 'So on to this Sunday - my second match since returning to SCW, and what I hope will be my second win since returning to SCW. And after explicitly stating that I wanted to earn another shot at the roulette title - so that I can make up for what happened at Violent Conduct II - what better opportunity for me to do that, than a match against the current champion? I didn't expect to be placed in as high-profile a match as this, so soon after returning to SCW - but now that I have, it's up to me to make sure that I take full advantage of the situation.'

Natalie leans forward, towards the camera.

Natalie: 'Come Sunday night, all of the pressure to win will be on me - which is not a scenario that I've ever faced before. As far as Mercedes Vargas is concerned, whatever the outcome of our match, she'll still leave Stockholm as the roulette champion. But for me, this match is a must win; I wanted the chance to show that I deserve a shot at the roulette title, and now that I have such a chance, I can't afford to let it pass me by - if I was to lose to Mercedes on Sunday, then how long would I have to wait to be given a shot at the roulette title?'

Natalie pauses, looking towards the camera as if she expects an answer; she shrugs her shoulders, before continuing.

Natalie: 'It's not really something that I want to contemplate; a loss on Sunday would be too much of a setback for me - if I lose to Mercedes, then how could anyone make a justifiable argument in favour of me deserving to be given a shot at her title? It would be a difficult argument to make, which is why, as I said, this is a must win. And I believe that I can win - I believe that I will thrive under the pressure, on Sunday night. It's a match that I have to win - it's a match that I will win.'

Natalie leans back, sitting up straight.

Natalie: 'Mercedes Vargas, I have so much riding on our match - more than you can appreciate. You may have emerged victorious in our only previous encounter, but the nervous rookie of six months ago is gone - well, I'm still a rookie, I'm just not so nervous now.'

Natalie gets up from the bench, returning to her feet.

Natalie: 'Mercedes, Sunday evening will see me put the first nail in the coffin, of your reign as the roulette champion. It's time for the winds of change, to blow through the roulette division.'

As Natalie looks confidently towards the camera, the scene fades to black.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:37:58 AM by Natalie McKinley »