Author Topic: "Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover."  (Read 295 times)

Offline GUY

• View Profile
"Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover."
« on: June 08, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »

\'user

“THE CALL.”
Scene One

*Buzzzzzzz* *Buzzzzzzz*
*Buzzzzzzz* *Buzzzzzzz*

The sound of the iPhone vibrating there on the night table was getting louder and louder. With each ring the phone was making its way towards vibrating right over the edge of the table. It was dangerously close until a hand quickly reached out from a cover and snatched the phone off the table while pulling it under the blankets.

“Hello.”

That hello couldn’t have sounded sleepier than it did. Quite obvious whomever had called this woman had woken her up. Suddenly, the comforter was pushed down as a the blonde woman that was Cadence Carter sat up. She was removing her bed hair from her face as she pulled the phone away from her ear. She tapped the “speaker” button on the front of her phone as she proceeded to continue onward with the conversation.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Yes. This is her.”

JANE ( secretary of scw ) DOE: “Great, I was asked to place a phone call this morning by Mr. Ward and Mr. Underwood. I was asked to inform you that next Sunday your presence will be required in Fort Defiance, Arizona. They’ve booked you in your first match.”

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Oh my gosh! Really?! Wow, that’s fantastic news! Thank you so much.”

JANE ( secretary of scw ) DOE: “Only doing my job ma’am. They also did make sure to tell me to tell you that you need to make sure that you come prepared on this night. You’re going to find yourself in for quite the match.”

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Wow sounds tough. Do you have any information on who I’ll be in the ring with? Like just to give me an idea of what I am going to be up against.”

JANE ( secretary of scw ) DOE: “Unfortunately, I do not. My job is to only deliver and take phone calls when they’re needed. Everything else is up to those men. However, I would imagine it won’t be too long before the match starts getting promoted and it’ll be out in the open.”

For a moment or two Cadence was just silent. For the last couple of months she had been working hard to get back into the wrestling business. After she took her leave from SAP. It had everything to do with the fact that she felt she wasn’t ready yet. It was because she felt that she had a much to learn. She felt she wasn’t ready. She felt that she needed to be better prepared. All that hard work was about to pay off with her debut looming over her head for Sin City Wrestling.

JANE ( secretary of scw ) DOE: “Cadence... Hello? Cadence, are you still there?!”

It finally clicked in her head that she was being talked to. Shaking her head almost like she was snapping back into reality.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Yes. Yes, I am still here. I apologize, I spaced out for a second.”

JANE ( secretary of scw ) DOE: “Well I certainly hope for your sake that doesn’t happen in your debut match. I can’t imagine spacing out when you’re meant to be wrestling will be doing you any wonders.”

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Oh no, there’s no need for anyone to worry about that. I’ll be sure to come prepared.”

JANE ( secretary of scw ) DOE: “Fair enough. Well, alright then. I’m going to send you all the travel information the email that you provided us with and I am sure everyone will be delighted to see you on Sunday. Thank you for your time.”

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “No, no. Thank you. I can’t wait to come in and show everyone what I got. This was seriously the best phone call to start my day.”

As the phone call came to an end, Cadence tapped her thumb against the end call button. She let the phone drop between her legs to the comforter of her bed. She found herself sitting there in silence trying to let everything register in that head of hers. There was a part of her that had been expecting to be turned away from SCW due to her inexperience. Cadence had prepared herself for being told that they wanted women that had more experience. Women who had been places and done things in the business. It had shocked her that they had offered her a contract, but it was shocking now considering it was setting in that she was truly going to be featured in the company. In her head she kept repeating.

“This is really happening! This is really happening, Cadence!”

Such a bright smile crossed her lips in that very moment. This was going to be her moment and even though there was a tiny part of her that wasn’t a hundred percent sure if she was ready. She was ready enough to try out for the company, but being completely ready for what was about to take place was a different story. Yet it was a challenge that Cadence  was willing to make head on and make the most of it. Way she saw it. Only two things would end up happening with this situation. She would either fall flat on her face. Or she'd find herself in a position where she shocked and wowed people while having success. After all Cadence lived by the logic of "you never know unless you try" and now she was going to try her hardest.

“DON’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.”
Scene Two

Professional wrestling was a very interesting business to say the very least. There was a lot that went into the wrestling business. A lot of it had to do with the actual wrestling. If one couldn’t wrestle, then they didn’t belong in the business. But at the same time there were other crucial points to professional wrestling. Points such as character and presentation. People needed to feel invested in a person. Character helped do that. People needed a reason to help them get behind a person. A presentation and sometimes a story helped just with that. That was going to be no different for a young woman that was set to make her official debut to Sin City Wrestling in just a couple of short days.

That woman was none other than Cadence Carter. All week long she had been stressing about the match, because she wanted to impress. She was busting her behind in the gym and getting those extra in-ring sessions in to help her prepare for the challenge that awaited her. But at the same time in the back of her mind. She knew that she had to approach things on the other fronts as well. Decked out in her wrestling attire and a backdrop behind her in her studio apartment. The girl set her iPhone across the room to film what was going to turn out to be her first official promo for SCW. Thanks to the timer on her phone, she could see when the countdown finished which resulted in that bright smile of hers crossing her lips followed by that bubbly personality coming out.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Ladies and Gents. Boys and Girls. Old Folks and Adorable Puppies. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Cadence Carter. You can call me simply Cadence, but you want to fluff my ego a lil bit. You can refer to me as the future headliner. Kinda up to you and whatever floats your boat. Seeing as I ain’t a picky girl by any means.”

She kept that smile of hers spread across her pink lip gloss covered lips. That being said she grabbed a hold of her snapback hat quickly turning it backwards. Giving a better view of her face.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “I’d imagine that for a couple of weeks now you folks were wonderin’ if I was someone that actually existed or not. I can understand that. After all, it was a situation where the company tweeted out to the thousands upon thousands of people they followed that I had signed my name to the dotted line. Along with a couple of other girls. Yet the other girls you had heard from. The other girls you had seen. The other girls were wasting no time to get their name out there, get their face out there, and to make an impression. So, I get that you might have questioned whether or not I was a real person. But here I am in the flesh to confirm that I do exist, but also to confirm that I’m a lady that likes to do things a little differently.”

In her mind the moment she mentioned that she liked to do things differently. It was going to bring a bunch of people forward questioning what she meant by different. Then again at the same time Cadence knew there were people that didn’t know her and wouldn’t give her a chance. They’d instantly say she was like every other woman. It was going to be her mission to prove them wrong.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “This might come off a little shockin’ to some folks. I’m not the type of girl that has to have the spotlight on me all the time. I am not the type of girl that has to have the attention on her at all times. I’m not the type of girl that needs to have my name constantly out there. I am far too laid back to always be the center of attention or to have the spotlight always on me. But then again on the flip side that’s questionable when I pose for cameras all the time for the modeling company I work for. Shout out to Quagliaterre Inc for keeping your girl out of a Hooter’s restaurant. Also shout out to them for helping me get other opportunities, such as the one where I decided to become a wrestler. Another profession that does keep a lot of attention on me, despite me being such a laid back person.”

Shrugging her shoulders a little bit. Attention and spotlight was not truly something she ever wanted for herself. Not something that she thrived to have, but that was kind of what came with the professions she chose to get herself involved with. Therefore there was no escaping it, but merely finding a level to be cool about it and not let it affect her or go to her head.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Sure, I might not like all the spotlight and all the attention. But the one thing I do like to do is perform. I do like to show off the talents I have been blessed with. More importantly though, I do like to bring a smile to everyone’s faces. Being a professional wrestler gives me the opportunity to make thousands upon thousands of fans smile on several nights a week. To know that I bring someone joy with something I do not only puts a smile on my face, but it also makes me feel accomplished. Makes me feel like I’m doing something with my life. In that being said though, it seems that on this Sunday night. I am going to get the chance to put smiles on the faces of the Sin City Wrestling audience as I step into the ring with the company for the very first time. That’s right on June 11th live on Climax Control, ya girl here makes her official debut and something tells me it’s going to be LIT as eff!”

That smile on the young woman’s face only appeared to grow a bit at that moment. Kind of really made viewers want to see just exactly what she meant since there was so much excitement behind her words.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “That being said it brings my attention to Ms. Bobbie Dahl. I’ll be the first to admit that going into this match, I don’t know too much about you. In fact I know next to nothing about you. All I really know is that you’re a new gal on the roster, much like myself. You had your debut last week, which you lost. But you know what? There’s no shame in that. We all lose sometimes. Along with that, the only other thing I know about you is that you are an apparently very large woman. To which seems to be a running gag of some sorts to some people. Apparently, people think it’s cool to poke fun and have a laugh at the fact that you’re a larger woman on a roster full of women that are otherwise very tiny in a lot of aspects. Well allow me to be the first to tell ya Bobbie. I live by a code. I live by a way of life. I live by the saying: “Don’t Judge A Book By It’s Cover.” Which simply means based on what I’ve seen and based on what I’ve heard. I’m not going to judge you on it. I’ll let my opinion of you form during our match this Sunday.”

Looking right into the lense of the camera with a set of series eyes. It was crystal clear that Cadence wanted it to be known that she wasn’t the type of gal to judge so quickly. Willing to give everyone a chance.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Though, I also know even though that’s how I carry myself. Not everyone is going to carry themselves that way. That even includes you, Bobbie. You see I pay attention to the dirt sheets. Maybe way more than I sure, because let’s be honest here. As much as the fans are lovable people and I want to interact with all of them. Some of them don’t just know how to be a fan. But at the same time I admit I’ve heard some rumors going into this match. Rumors that point to you calling me a hoodrat. Rumors that are alluding to the fact that you’re saying that I think I’m ghetto or some type of gangsta. Then to top it all off, there’s the rumor going around that you think that just because I’m a tiny girl with little experience that you’re just going to flatten me like a pancake.”

For that brief moment Cadence just found herself pausing. She was shaking her head from side to side just a little bit. Almost like she was in a state of disappointment. Though as quick as that expression was there, it faded away.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “At this point it is nothing more than a rumor. I don’t know if there’s any actual truth to it or not. However, if it is true. Let’s say those rumors aren’t really rumors but are indeed facts. Then let me just start off by saying that I am very disappointed in you, Bobbie. Especially considering that I am willing to bet that most of your childhood. You had to deal with nasty bullies. I am sure most of your childhood you had to deal with people calling you names. You had to deal with people making fun of you because of your size and your weight. I know how cruel kids could be. I imagine they made all kinds of jokes about how you loved food and how you just stuffed your face all the time. Things that might not bother you now with being a grown woman and learning to accept things, but things that surely bothered you as a child. Because people were judging you and not giving you a chance to show that you are a great human being. Everything that you hated as a child, you’re becoming. Assuming that it’s true of course.”

A slight shrug of her shoulders came from the blonde Californian.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “Let me tell you a little bit about myself though, just in case you are misinformed. Just because I like the hip hop culture, just because I like rap music, and just because I might dress a certain way. By no means does that make me a “hoodrat” or a “gangsta” by any stretch of the imagination. If you looked up the definition of those words, you would see that I could never be anything like that. I am not involved in a gang. I don’t participate in murders. That’s like two of the worst things anyone could be involved in. And the term hoodrat? That’s just derogatory in the first place. It’s insulting. It’s rude. And most of all it’s uncalled for. People might not come from the best places or the best neighborhoods. A lot of times people don’t even have that choice, that’s where they are raised and for someone to make fun of them or to look down on them for that is just completely and utterly uncalled for. If all of this is true Bobbi, you should be really ashamed of yourself.”

There was such a look in Cadence’s eyes at that very moment that was meant to drive home what she was saying. This was all being spoken out on based on the premises of a rumor. As she had openly said she didn’t have actual proof it was said, but if it was said she was going to be sure to let it be known it was wrong.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “And as far as the possibility of you having this mindset that you’re going to pancake me, steamroll right over me. All because I’m a smaller gal. I don’t know whether I should laugh or if I should just shake my head. Sure I get it. I’m five foot three. I am only a hundred and fifteen pounds. By no means am I the biggest. By no means would people consider me fierce or look at me as someone that would do a lot of damage in a physical sense. When you look at me. I see why you might think that you’re going to be able to do all these things to me because you’ve got the size over me for sure. Yet there’s one thing that you’re discrediting. There’s one thing that you’re forgetting about Bobbie. That thing is heart.”

She used her left hand to point to her chest directly where her heart would be. Making sure that all the eyes of the viewers would focus there and get the point driven home to them.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “I’ve got a ton of heart. Everything that I have ever done in life I’ve put my all into. Heart isn’t something that someone can be taught like professional wrestling. Heart isn’t something that can be bought like the finest training money can by. Heart is something that someone is born with and heart is something that can be the biggest boost in anything someone wants to achieve in life. Heart keeps the blood pumping through your body to keep you in a fight. I have no doubt that when we face off Bobbi. You’re going to knock me down. You’ll probably knock me down a lot, but it isn’t going to be easy to keep me down. I am going to keep getting back up. I’m going to keep coming at you. I am going to keep giving it everything I got. Heart can and will lead to you going a long way in life. If we’re being a hundred percent honest here. The only way that you’re going to pancake me or to steamroll right over me is if you reach through my chest and snatch my body from my heart, but I don’t think you’re woman enough to do so.”

There was a small amount of confidence that was coming out of the young woman. It wasn’t arrogance. It wasn’t an ego. It was confidence. Confidence that she could do well, even if no one else thought that she could.

CADENCE ( the future headliner ) CARTER: “That’s again assuming that everything you’ve supposedly said is true. There’s a chance it isn’t true. There’s a very good chance that the two of us could head into that ring with the intentions of having one heck of a matchup and may the best woman win. In the end though Bobbi, I promise you and everyone else watching. I am coming to make headlines in SCW!”

That bright smile of Cadence remained on her face for a couple of moments. The one thing that was clear to the SCW audience is the young woman was full of energy, she was full of life, and she always believed in herself. An outlook and a mindset like that could end up carrying the girl pretty far. That’s when she stepped out of the view of her iPhone and walked over to where it was set up. Tapping her thumb against the red button to end the recording and seeing to it that it saved to her phone. Now all she had to do was to make sure she emailed the video to those in charge at SCW to make sure it got aired. There was a tiny part of her brain that was telling her that she might have talked herself into a bigger fight than what she was originally intended on having. Yet at the same time Cadence was a woman that stood up for what she believed in. If that made this fight bigger than what it was originally meant to be, then it was something she’d just have to deal with and give it her all to overcome.