Author Topic: Skiing and Politics  (Read 546 times)

Offline Ben Jordan

• View Profile
Skiing and Politics
« on: April 30, 2020, 07:18:37 PM »
 Waking up is always a great feeling to me. This whole virus thing has made me a little more appreciative of all the things I've done in my life and waking up next to my wife is always something I will appreciate and this was no exception. This whole things had made me much more thoughtful when it came to everything. I started to appreciate smelling the air in the bar on the hotel roof. I started to appreciate being around my work friends a little more - not that I didn't before but my routine was simply to work on any promotional stuff during the week, fly in to where ever I needed to be on Sunday, have a beer with whoever fancied a beer and jump on a plane home when Evie wasn't with me, or maybe spend the night where ever we are before going home, then rinse and repeat. I've now spent months around my co-workers and seen a lot of things I wouldn't have sitting by the lake in Maine. I'd grown to appreciate them a little more than I could have before. I saw their human side. We were all in the same boat, all suffering the same fates.

Not only did I see their frustrations, but I also so their side to want to stick to the rules for the good of not only themselves, but their families too. Well, most of them, a lot of them are still flaunting the rules with no regard for their friends, family and co-workers health, some are just moaning and causing trouble for the sake of it over the three rosters, probably an attention thing, but I'd come to appreciate the people who are doing this right. I guess I've come to see the bad apples to, but my favourite person in the world to see was always right by my side... Evie of course. She will always be my favourite person to see.

My eyes flickered in the morning sun, focusing on my wife as she laid on my chest, her eyes already open, looking at me, her smile already lighting up the room brighter then the sun peeking in the curtains.

"Morning." Her Aussie tone said clearly.

"Morning." My tone replied, with my voice cracking.

"Sleep well?" Evie asked.

"Honestly, I had this really weird dream." I told her. "I think I need a holiday, but you know, we're a bit lumbered."

Evie moves her head up to my shoulder, just looking at me.

"Feels like we've been here for years." She admitted. "When this is over, we need to get away for a bit."

I thought about it for a second, I knew Evie wasn't handling the isolation as well as most. I knew she was like a bird, wanted to fly all over the place at a moments notice.

"Well, why not plan something." I said, trying to give her something to focus on. "Maybe look at a few places and see about some places to go when all this is said and done?"

A smile passed on Evie's face. I could already see the wheels in her head turning as places ran through her mind.

"Anywhere you wanna go?" She asked.

"I'll leave that up to you." I told her, already knowing Italy was high in her mind.

"Let's rule out skiing." Evie said quickly, causing me to cock my head towards her.

"Why rule out skiing?" I asked her.

"Cause you're not very good at it." Evie told me with a smile.

"Evie Luna Jordan!" I said, my mouth open wide in mock surprise. "I am wounded! Why would you say such a thing?"

"Switzerland." She replied without hesitation.

"I was a rock star in Switzerland!" I told her.

"Not how I remember it." Evie said shaking her head.

"Well this is how I remember it." I said thinking back.

SWITZERLAND.

Well, this is proof you don't have to do all promos in a hotel.... And remember, this is a fun part, and may not be completely accurate to the characters you know... Well, you'll see.

The snow was thick on The Alps and many skiers were taking full advantage of it and the slopes were busy. I stood next to Evie, to her right, with Bear to my right.

"It's easy babe." I said to a nervous looking Evie. "All you need to do is keep your balance and let gravity do the work."

I watched as Evie nervously pushes herself forward, letting gravity do the work as she slowly moves forward, moving down the hill faster and faster. I look down at Bear with a proud smile.

"See Bear!" I said with a wide grin. "I told you she could do it. She can do anything!"

I said that with a completely cheesy tone, didn't I? Well, that is the tone I'm going for here just so you know.

"What a beautiful day!" I said with a nice cheery tone as I looked at Bear.

Bear trotted off down the slope as I put my hands on my hips, looking around at the wonderful setting but a rumbling behind me turns my face to curiosity, before turning to a more serious look. I rubbed my chin before looking behind me, my face turning to a frown.

"Well bloody hell." I said in a slow tone.

My eyes were locked on a giant snowball, rolling down the mountain, picking up pace as it thundered down the hill. I lean back as the snowball roars past me.

"That was a close one." I said with a wide smile, but I could hear Evie's voices.

"BENNNNNNNNNN" She screamed as she looked behind her. "SAAAAAAAAAAAAVE ME!"

My mouth dropped open and eyes grew wide as I saw the snowball hurling towards her.

"Must save Evie!" I said to myself.

With the A Team theme in my head, and now in yours, I dug the ski poles in to the soft snow and pushed myself off in the direction of Evie, moving at speeds no human has ever thought possible, weaving in and out of people as the snowball got perilously closer to Evie. I was gaining on it, but it was gaining on Evie. With one huge thrust of the poles, I pushed myself in front of the snowball, lifting Evie up in my arms and getting her out of harms way, just in time. I push the tips of my skis together to stop.

"My hero!" Evie said as she hugged me tightly.

A proud smile crossed my face as I looked around as a crowd gathered to clap and congratulate my heroics, but Evie's eyes had already shifted to the path the huge snowball was heading in. I looked in the same direction as Evie to see the snowball heading towards a huge cabin.

"There's children in there Ben, you must save them!" Evie told me. "No one else can!"

"You're right!" I said in a booming voice. "Only I can save them."

As I looked down at the snowball, Bear skidded up next to us in skis.

"Look after her Bear." I told Bear as I put Evie back on the snow. "Wait, where did you get those skis?"

I raised my hands up in front of me as I looked towards Bear.

"You're right." I said as if to agree with Bear. "This is a conversation for another time and time is wasting."

I turned to face the runaway snowball and push the poles in to the snow again and I was off on the chase once more. I swerved past people as they cheered me on and waved at me, urging me to catch up with the ball of disaster heading towards the cabin. I lean forward, trying to force myself to move faster.

"I'm never gonna make it, it's too fast." I said to myself.

I glanced towards the left to see a ramp, sharply upturned towards the sky.

"Now that's a bit of luck." I told myself as I changed direction and headed towards the ramp.

I pushed the poles deeper in to the snow and thrust myself towards the ski jump, moving as fast as I could as I hit it and flew in the air towards the snowball.

"KAMIKAZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" I yelled out as I headed towards the snowball.

I was flying so high in the sky and heading right towards the target. As gravity kicked in, I started to fall and fall fast before...

SPLAT!

I landed on the giant snowball just feet away from the cabin, sending the snow flying in all different directions on impact. I laid on the snow below as children run out of the cabin to see what was going on. The crowd around me clapped and cheered as Evie arrived on Bear's back. I sat up and looked around at the cheering crowd and waved. Springing to my feet, I dusted the snow off my jacket and quickly waved around the crowd, with a smile on my face.

"Thank you." I said as I took a bow.

Evie quickly moved towards me, wrapping her arms around my neck and kissed me on the cheek.

"Now.... Time to celebrate!" I said with a cheery tone. "Everybody dance now!"

And with that, everyone around me started to dance around like the cheesy Batman television show as just as cheesy music piped through the whole area. A wide smile crossed my face as everyone danced in perfect form and harmony.

RECORD SCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRATCH!

"That is not what happened." Evie said firmly.

The camera went back to me in the hotel room, with Evie sitting up straight, but covered up with the bed covers as she looked down at me with a confused look on her face as I laid with my hands behind my head, fingers sandwiched between my hair and the pillow.

"That is what really what happened." I told her in a bragging tone. "I was there, you was there, Bear was there."

Upon hearing his name, Bear's head appeared at the bottom of the bed, looking up at us, causing my eyes to fall upon him.

"Tell her boy." I said to him. "Tell her how I was the superhero that saved her and all those kids from a rolling snowball."

Bear lifts his paw, covering his eyes.

"It couldn't have happened." Evie said.

"And why not?" I asked seriously.

"One, I can ski." She started. "Two, I would have just stepped out of the way of the giant snowball, three, I would never have yelled to be saved, four, I would have never called you my hero in that tone, five, you'd have broke every bone in your body landing on that snowball. It might be snow Ben, but it would have been solid, you'd have still been in hospital now, and five, no one, and I mean no one breaks out in random dance, let alone all be in sync."

"Pft." The sound of air being pushed through my lips to respond to Evie. "All that stuff happened."

Evie shook her head at me.

"I think you must have had one fucked up dream there to even think this actually happened." Evie said firmly. "This is what really happened."

And if you wanna know what really happened rather than me joking around, head to Evie's promo right about now.

I left Evie to her own devices after a quick shower and a snack and decided it was time to burn off some energy, stretch those muscles. I knew The GO Gym was off limits to anyone who hadn't trained there and knew Joshua Acquin had allowed his gym - under strict guidelines - to be open to just SCW, SCU and GRIME wrestlers and staff but I didn't fancy a trip outside the hotel. In fact, I noticed I was becoming more and more nervous to leave the hotel even for shows, so the easiest option for me was to head to the gym downstairs in the hotel.

I walked in the gym, looking around to seeing a fairly empty room, just the staff dotted around, willing to clean everything the second people are finished with them. I wandered towards a treadmill, placed in front of a long window, showing the sights of Vegas, but the streets were still as empty thankfully, regardless of the bat crap crazy major of this place trying to reopen things way too soon. I dropped my bag from my right hand next to me and rolled my neck as I stepped on to the treadmill and looked out at the sad sight before me.

Vegas was always alive, it was always a heartbeat of America, but this had flat lined, the city seemed sad and even the most optimistic amongst us were starting to feel it.

"We'll be back with you soon Vegas." I whispered to myself.

"You got an imaginary friend or something?" A voice said behind me.

I turned my head to see Fenris standing behind me, hands on his hips, a gym bag over his shoulder.

"Well sometimes, for intelligent conversation, the only person I can talk to is myself." I quipped at Fenris.

Fenris' eyes look around the room.

"Well, you didn't have much choice in here." He said as he noted the empty room.

"Trust me mate, it ain't improved since you've walked in." I said with a smile. "but I'm happy to talk to you instead."

Fenris rolled his eyes as he picked a treadmill near mine, leaving one in between, you know, social distancing and all. I breathed deeply as I hit a couple of buttons on the front of the treadmill, allowing the roller to move and stepped on, as I looked sadly at the empty Vegas streets. Fenris started up his treadmill, hopping on and starting his run but I could feel his eyes burning in to me as I stared vacantly in to the distance.

"What's wrong with you?" Fenris asked me as he jogged effortlessly, not concentrating on anything.

"Just a bit on my mind." I admitted.

"Being stuck in this place finally getting to you?" Fenris said bluntly.

"Not exactly." I responded. "I kinda got a really good offer and it's tempting me."

"Oh?" His surprised tone came back over the sounds of gears moving.

"I've been asked to run for Mayor of Bar Harbor, Maine." I told him.

Fenris stopped running, jumping on the side of the treadmill, his feet either side of the rolling rubber.

"When did this happen?" He asked seriously.

I looked across at him, my feet still keeping in the rhythm of the machine.

"It happened a while ago." I explained. "I got approached by the council. The current Mayor's term was ending this summer, they wanted me to run. They pretty much said I was a shoe in. With this pandemic, it looks like it's gonna be pushed back till January. There's talk of the current guy endorsing me to take over which will pretty much give it to me."

Fenris looked at me with a cocked eyebrow.

"I was gonna write a whole scene about it earlier but word limits and all." I said with a grin.

Fenris and I turned our heads towards the camera and smiled before looking back at each other.

"So what's the issue?" Fenris asked.

"Well there's a couple of issues." I told him. "First, if it's pushed to January, I could do it full time, because my SCW contract ends on the first as always, but I ain't sure I'm ready to knock this game on the head, but I know I couldn't be as active as I was."

"Well, I think you've earned the right to be able to right to just do a couple of matches through the cycle." Fenris tells me. "But what's the second issue?"

I sighed as I looked at him.

"I don't think I'll do a decent enough job." I told him. "Plus there's other things to think about. I mean I couldn't just swan off to all these countries when they reopen and you know Eves loves a holiday.... Vacation. We couldn't just go off all over the world. Bear likes the travelling."

"It's not like you'll be a mayor of a major city." Fenris said with confidence. "Few thousand people, it's not millions, you get to appoint a deputy."

"I would appoint Evie, but not sure she'd want that." I said to Fenris with a smile. "Could appoint her as a head of police training."

"You do know she'll train them all to be ninjas and how to throw knives?" Fenris said seriously.

"Absolutely." I replied with a smile. "Sometimes, prevention is better than the cure. If you knew the police were trained like that, you'd think twice about committing a crime. Would you commit a crime knowing Evie has trained people to hunt you down like a dog?"

Fenris raised his head in thought before looking at me.

"Probably not." Fenris said as his attention turned back to the treadmill.

I followed suit and resumed jogging.

"What makes you think you'll be bad at this?" Fenris asked, picking up the pace.

I took a deep breath as I thought about it.

"I just dunno how I'd deal with some stuff. It ain't like I've done this before." I told him.

"Well look at it like this." Fenris started "How would you have handled this shit that's going on?"

I looked up at the Vegas sky and the camera changed to an office where I sit behind a desk. A camera is set up in front of me. Fenris stood to my right, with a confused look on his face.

"What the fuck am I doing in your cutaway?" Fenris asked with a growling tone.

"Eves wouldn't wear this?" I said with a smile.

"Wear what?" Fenris questioned.

I clicked my fingers and a sandwich board appears over Fenris body with the words "Ben Jordan 2020, making Bar Harbor special." written across it. Fenris looked down.

"Aw fuck!" He said in a slow tone.

"Shush, gotta work." I told him.

I look at the camera.

"People of Bar Harbor." I started "Thank you for your time today, I hope you're all safe and well at home. We are going through a tough time right now, not just in Maine, or the United States but the world over, but my concern is the good people of Bar Harbor. This has been the worst pandemic in recent memory, and when I took this job, I swore to keep the people of Bar Harbor safe and this is what I intend to do. I know America's government have issued their own guidelines, but some worrying noises have been made from the White House that I do not agree with."

"President is bat shit crazy." Fenris said under his breath.

"The truth is, I know you've been locked down for a few weeks, but I feel that if we want to keep the people of Bar Harbor safe, things need to be stepped up." I said confidently. "I feel we need to protect the people within our own walls. In twenty four hours, the roads in and out of Bar Harbor will be blocked. The only access in or out will be for delivery trucks delivering vital supplies, food, medicine and anything else seen as essential. If you have to leave for work reasons, please contact me so I can make arrangements for them to allow you the time off and I will work out compensation for these businesses and anyone who is losing out because of this situation."

"How you gonna do that?" Fenris whispered to me.

"Out of my own pocket if need be." I said back through gritted teeth.

An impressed look crossed Fenris' face.

"Our airport will now be closed." I said firmly. "I feel that if we can stop infection coming to our town and being taken elsewhere, it will play a huge part in slowing this thing down world wide. Non essential business will be closed at the end of the working day and schools, although we've been able to keep them open with strong measures, it's time to change that. Classes will now be taught from home. Teachers will still be teaching classes via video conferences. Should there'll be no device to access these classes, one will be sent to you."

"That out of your own pocket too?" Fenris whispered.

I nod towards him.

"Our fishing ports will continue to be open, so I have no fear about our supplies." I said with a nod "And I shouldn't have to say this but please do not gather, please do not mix households, only leave the house when essential. I have given police the power to arrest people who do not have valid reasons to be out. I know this is a tough thing to hear, but we need these measures to stay in place for the next three weeks before I review the situation again."

I sharply inhaled.

"I know it's not easy, but our numbers are low and I'm working with the right people to try and get as many tests as possible here." I said down the camera. "And when I do, everyone will be tested and any positive tests will be immediately moved to the hospital for monitoring. We will be continuing with disinfecting the streets and urge you all to do the same with your homes and businesses. I feel if we can keep our little part of America clean, we can set an example to the world on how this virus can be eradicated from existence."

I continue to maintain eye contact with the camera.

"We will get through this." I said with confidence. "We will beat this together with vigilance and determination. We are not a poor part of America, but we will all suffer from this financially, but you can not put a price on your health or the health of your loved ones. Stay safe Bar Harbor."

The camera cuts back to the hotel gym where Fenris looked at me with a serious look.

"I think if you're willing to spend your own money keeping people safe. I think you'll be ok." Fenris said seriously.

"So what about you?" I asked. "You're not looking yourself either."

Well, if you wanna see this conversation continue, better jump over to Fenris promo.

I had listened to Fenris talk about his issues, listened to every work he said, related with him with what he had to say. A lot was said away from the prying eyes and he had moved on to hit the showers but I stayed where I was. I guess I needed more gym time in my head but also thought it was the perfect time to talk about things going on in the wrestling world, more specifically, my upcoming match.

I reached down to the sports bag I had brought in to the gym, still as empty as it was when I arrived, and unzipped the bag and reached in, pulling out the SCW World Heavyweight championship out of the bag and pulling it over my shoulder. I turned around and looked down the camera with a smile and a nod.

"Alright people." I said with a grin. "Still here, still breathing still doing alright, I hope you lot are too."

I reach down, quickly grabbing a bottle of water and opening the cap, taking a drink from it.

"I got through a tough challenge in my last match. I faced a Raab and that was a big challenge, no matter what you guys think." I said firmly. "So I was pretty surprised to see my name up against him once more so soon after, but I actually watched the SCW show from top to bottom. Makes sense to do this with me teaming with Fenris when he is facing Raab at Into The Void IX, while I'm facing Mark Cross. Tag match, booking 101."

I took another mouthful of water.

"I learned a lot from Blaze of Glory Jake." I said honestly. "Nothing helps you learn about an opponent more than getting in the ring with them and feeling them hit you in the mush and you did that a fair bit Jake, but it showed me so much about you to the point I feel like a slightly better wrestler by facing you, which means I know an extra trick or two. Frankly, you against my partner Fenris at the next supercard in a proper MMA match is gonna be the mutts nuts, because it'll be brutal as all hell, but I know a bit about these MMA matches. People don't like others getting in their heads before their fight and this is Fenris' chance to do just that. I like you Jake, but I gotta do whatever it takes to help Fenris get one over on you."

I shrugged.

"It's not personal, just like our last match wasn't personal." I said with a nod. "And I know this is different, pressures off you, this belt is off the table."

I point to the SCW World Heavyweight championship.

"This is not a main event, this is a tag match so the pressures off, the spotlight is not shining so bright on ya." I said. "but it doesn't mean I see this as anything other than I always see matches. I always take every match as serious as a heart attack and I'm taking this one as serious as if my title was on the line, so this thing is serious Jake. I'm not taking my foot off the peddle just because it's not as important as a title defence. We've all seen champions do that and not give a monkeys when their belt isn't on the line, a lot can't be motivated for it, but I'm more than motivated for this one, and I ain't robbing the people of anything here. They want to see me give one hundred percent and that's what they gonna get. Problem with that Jake is by the end of Sunday night, your last two matches would have ended with you losing both to the same man."

I nod firmly.

"This is the first time I would have ever been in the ring with Mark Cross, but the scouting has always been there." I said "But something else has made me more determined. On the last SCU show, it implied that someone was gonna unite the SCW, SCU, and GRIME top championship. Now I ain't no Sherlock, but it wasn't me, and I know Markus Raab well enough to know it wasn't him.... Sooooooo."

I tap my chin.

"That leaves you Mark." I said confidently. "Stands to reason that you seemed to feature heavily in that, that you feel you're gonna unify the three belts. Gotta take a leak on your cornflakes there, because you ain't getting this off me."

I tap my hand on the championship belt.

"You're not taking this off me at Into The Void." I say firmly. "And on Sunday, you're gonna learn not to take me so lightly. I love confidence, I really do, I love the way you can sell a match. I love that you've progressed to the point where you're top of the SCU and SCW ladder, but mate, you've never faced someone like me. This belt means the world to me, and Sunday, I gotta show you what I can do, I gotta make you rethink everything you think you know about me. I'm sure you've done more work on me than most of the people you've face because that future match is what can make or break you, but Sunday is where I will show you what you're really up against. You can sit and watch every video you want about me but like I said earlier about learning about Jake by being in the ring with him, you're gonna learn what I'm all about and why I am the SCW World Heavyweight champion."

I smile.

"See, wasn't just prattling on then about learning, I had a reason. Promo theme people!" I said with a another smile.

I wave my finger.

"I know how good you can be Mark, you was the one I was watching in the Blast From The Past tournament for obvious reasons." I admitted. "So I've been focused for months on you because of the faith I had in my wife, so I know you well enough, it's almost like I've been in the ring with you countless times, and of course Evie has told me how good you are, but you're about to come and see first hand how good I am and on Sunday, you will see that. I'm looking forward to what you're about to bring and I know the fans are because they want a preview to Into The Void, they're gonna get that, because I'm gonna beat you at Into The Void and I'm gonna beat you on Sunday at Climax Control."

I quickly glance down at my watch.

"Well, that's about all the time I have, limits an' all." I say with a slight nod. "So Jake, Mark, it's time for me to depart, but Sunday will be around real soon and me and Fenris will be showing you two what to expect at Into The Void IX. Must dash you lot, time's up but looking forward to being back in that ring on Sunday and giving you one hundred percent."

I wink at the camera.

"Laters people."

And with that, the camera fades.
>

Cockney King.
SCW World Heavyweight Champion
SCW Internet Champion
SCW Roulette Champion
SCW Tag Team Champion (3x)
SCU Underground champion
ACW's only Triple Crown Champion.
Super J Cup Winner 2013.