Author Topic: Q&A  (Read 400 times)

Offline The Dragon

• View Profile
    • Mark \
Q&A
« on: November 22, 2019, 10:23:42 PM »
 We are taken to a video-on-demand replay of a recent stream on Twitch.tv. Mark “The Dragon” Cross can be seen seated front and centre of the shot, microphone clipped to his shirt lapel. Sitting behind him at a laptop is a blonde, who we soon recognise as Faith, his star student.

The Dragon: Hey guys, and welcome to my live stream right here on Twitch. So as it turns out, winning a title and going on a hot streak? That does wonders for your follower count…

Faith: ...along with having a great social media manager! You know you're gonna have to learn to do some of this yourself when I'm touring Japan right?

The Dragon: ...Yeaaaaaaaah. Anyways I'm going to start doing more for you guys on here, my laptop can just about handle OBS so even when I'm travelling I can check in with you guys. We figured a Q&A would be the best idea, and you've been winging your questions in so if you're ready for them SMASH like now.

Faith: It's not YouTube...oh my fu…

A palm makes it’s way towards the face as Mark continues uninterrupted.

The Dragon: OK first question from @lukeyd123 on Twitter. Have you spoken to Emmie Ward lately, and have you battled any addictions of your own?

Faith: Ooh, great question. Hard hitting.

The Dragon: Really getting dark out of the gate huh? Part one, I haven't spoken to Emmie - Honestly, we weren't close. Especially on tour, which is where we were when I started branching out to the main show, people tended to stick around the hotel a little more or hit a nearby bar. We'd end up in the same place and chat for a bit, usually until someone's friend arrived or whatever, but that's it. A beer or two never goes amiss, so it was like that with a lot of the guys. Plus I don’t know what help I’d be as the answer to your second question is no, not really.

Mark took a sip from his bottle of water before continuing.

The Dragon: I used to drink excessively when I was younger. We'd hit clubs and bars 4, sometimes 5 nights a week. The thing is though, at that age we felt invincible. We'd all wake up the next morning, no hangover, get up and go to work like nothing had ever happened. Plus, if it wasn't a social occasion, I wouldn't touch a drink. I'd actively avoid it to give my liver a break to be honest. At times when we were younger and dumber we even branched out to...erm...recreational pharmaceuticals...but honestly if I was with my friends? No drink, no drugs? I still would have been loving life. I think that’s what made us different from addicts, and why I can still maintain a good relationship with my vices.

Faith: Got any wild stories? A quick one, I know what you're like.

The Dragon: Too many. OK here’s one, my 21st birthday. My beer goggles were in full effect, and I ended up leaving a bar with this girl, go back to her place, all sounds good right? I wake up the next day...the girl, maybe a 6 out of 10 at a push? Plus at that age girls always wanted to go again in the morning, definitely not ideal, so I think about my escape. I hear her whole family downstairs. Parents, a brother and a sister judging by the voices. No way I’m making it down there and out the door unseen. A few minutes later, I’m hanging out of an upstairs bathroom window by my fingertips trying not to break my neck on the fall.

Faith: Did you die?

The Dragon: Nuh-uh, managed to land on my back on the lawn. Bet they would have seen some six foot plus bloke falling past their kitchen window though right? I just got up and ran for it.

Faith: Smooth. OK next one - How did you feel after your match against Fenris?

The Dragon: Yeah that was a tough loss to take honestly. I think a lot of guys, even 'full-time' Sin City main roster guys would just expect to lose to Fenris. Caleb Storms definitely doesn’t want any piece of him. See, if I went in there with that same mindset, or got outclassed, lost easily, I'd walk away and admit I wasn't good enough, back to the drawing board. Thing is, I was competitive in that match. I could have had him. If we had that match 100 times and tallied up the wins I think it would have been pretty close. I just didn't quite have enough on the night, and when it’s such fine margins, gutted. I had fingertips on the Roulette title at Summer XXXtreme, I nearly took out the White Wolf at the first time of asking. Big things are right around the corner.

Faith: Since you’ve had both of these recently - Who is it tougher to win the war of words with someone you respect or guys that don't talk back to you?

The Dragon: It's a really challenging question, honestly. I mean look, 10 years isn't a long time, but for some aspects of our industry it seems like an eternity. I'm known as an old school guy…I describe myself as an old school guy...and when I started all you needed was a chair, a camera and enough dirt on an opponent to tear them a new one for 10 minutes or so. The game's changed now. I had a guy go surfing before we faced off against each other. I mean, what am I supposed to do against that, grab a guitar and sing Surfin’ USA at him?

The Dragon: I know what my answer is. The guys that give you "nothing" do leave behind hours of footage of them competing, and even if I won't necessarily say it on camera, my wealth of experience tells me that I probably have the quality to get through. Guys like Griffin, Fenris, who I respect immensely? I generally don't have a bad word to say about them, AND I know I'm in for one hell of a fight when the bell rings.

Mark glances down audibly laughs as he reads a message on his phone.

The Dragon: Ooh here's one just in...is Faith single?

Faith: Nonononono…

The Dragon: Well her Facebook status is probably set to 'It's Complicated' but sorry Sledgehammer2k20, she's only into girls.

Faith: She might be watching this!!

The Dragon: Keri's not going to be watching this, it'll be fiiiiiiine. Hi Keri!

Faith: You're such a douche. Can I ask a tough one now?

The Dragon: I guess that's fair.

Faith: If you could choose one tag team partner for life  who would you rather pick, Griffin or Valentina?

The Dragon: One tag team partner for life? Jeeeeez that one's brutal. I mean, on paper? Griffin and I teaming up makes one heck of a partnership, and putting that level of talent together week in week out would be a super exciting prospect BUT I’ve gotta stick with my girl Val on this one.

Faith: Your loyalty really is unwavering huh?

The Dragon: It is, what can I say!?! Wrestling has never felt like a job or a chore to me, ever, in over a decade, and I’m one of the luckiest guys in the world for it being my life, but teaming up with Valentina made me realise just how much fun the ride could be. I’ve always been about finding an extra few percent here and there, the right preparation every time, and you know what while it keeps me in this business, and keeps those wins piling up...with the Fire Dragons we just kind of went out there and were “us” for a while. I think I needed that at this point in my career and I’d be sad if I couldn’t experience that again with this very hypothetical question

Faith: Who has the better hair…

The Dragon: Hawkins. All day.

Faith: Better guitarist, you or Griffin?

The Dragon: Hawkins. I've been playing guitar for longer than I've been wrestling and I'm still awful! To be honest I'm one of those drummers that wishes he was a guitarist, but I find drums really really dull. I’ve tried doing the band thing more than a few times as a drummer, and it just doesn’t keep me interested for long enough.

Faith: If you could only ever play one guitar again what would it be?

The Dragon: Who's making me choose between one of my children?

Faith: shredfest_69 on Instagram

The Dragon: Brilliant. I love them all dearly, but easy answer - My USA Fender Tele. It's one of the 2015 limited edition Double Cut Telecasters if you wanna look it up. Plug straight into the amp, bridge pickup, volume on full, that's all I ever need.

Faith: No way!! That one is so boring! What about that sexy purple thing you have? With the birds?

The Dragon: The 10-Top PRS Custom 24?

Faith: Uhh...yeah?

The Dragon: That's a $4000 dollar guitar Faith, it's wasted on me and my 12 bar blues standards. And I'm worried about marking up that sweet sweet finish. Next?

Faith: Are you guys good against the Good Shepherds?

The Dragon: Yeah I think we’ve got things in hand. Of course I’ve prepared for this match like I always do...aside from that one time at band camp a month or so ago...and I know what we’re going to be in for in terms of the match. I won’t bore you with that, but let me at least say this - I’m all for people having faith in something, a higher power. If nobody is getting hurt in the process and you keep yourself to yourself then by all means, have at it. It’s when things get preachy that I’m less impressed.

The Dragon: Don’t convert to our ways? You’re an infidel. Drink a beer after your match and you’re a sinner...

Have a child out of wedlock even if you don’t know about it…

The Dragon: That seems kinda specific Faith...but back to the point. It bothers me when those of faith feel like they’re raised up on a pedestal for us all to aspire to. It irks me when their beliefs get rammed down our throats until we finally give in and agree, normally just to shut them up but no, not this time.

Mark reaches under the desk, pulling out his Double Down tag team championship belt, which he slings over his shoulder..

The Dragon: When you step into a wrestling ring, well, you’re in my church now. Inside the squared circle, the anointed carry gold to display their ascension to the promised land, and they will judge those who deem themselves worthy to enter it. The Brothers have a family connection, Griffin and I have a championship connection. As contenders and champions we move in similar circles, and if he is anywhere near as diligent as I, we will have been watching each other from afar for some time. Preparing to face each other as opponents only strengthens the knowledge of what we can be as a team, and that counts for a lot too. I think our combined quality will be too much.

Do you worry about anything underhanded from Griff? HannahBanana on Twitch chat.

The Dragon: No concerns whatsoever. We both know December II Dismember is coming up, and we both know that’s going to be one hell of a contest, obviously, but I think there’s enough mutual respect between the two of us to make sure that we carry our own weight out there and keep it above board. The fans deserve to see that match in all of its glory, with both of us in tip top shape and firing on all cylinders. That involves getting the job done as quickly and as cleanly as possible, and I think we’ll both be pulling for that. Plus, he’s Canadian! They’re all too nice to turn on their partners, right?

With the live stream set to continue for some time longer, we are saved from being subjected to any more as the scene fades to black.